Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2843

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2843
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

I got home that evening telling the girls to go and do homework but to be ready to change into something tidy for dinner.

“We having visitors?” came the rejoinder.

“No, I just wanted you to look nice for once.”

Danielle disappeared. It was barely four o’clock, she might just make it by seven if she hurries and the British cosmetics industry will double their profits by the end of the week. She has lovely skin—well okay, the odd spot, but she’s adolescent it happens—but her beautiful, velvet skin will emerge under a thick layer of makeup which will take hours to apply and some time to remove and cleanse and moisturise and tone. I thought to offer her a paint scraper but I’m not sure she’d see the irony.

“Can we wear makeup?” asked Hannah.

“Just some eyeshadow and mascara and some lip gloss. Anymore than that and I’ll make you take the lot off—agreed?”

They all nodded but accepted it. “How come Danielle can use more?” asked Livvie.

“She’s twice as ugly,” quipped clever gob and, they all ran off up the stairs. I doubted much homework would be done but so what.

I decided to try and read my book for a short time to calm myself down. I was half way through Bart D Ehrman’s ‘Jesus Interrupted,’ which is about the history of Christianity and how much of the New Testament is contradictory if not nonsensical at times. It takes a bit of concentration to read but I was enjoying it. I laughed out loud at one point when he said some of his undergraduate students thought Jesus’ name was Jesus Christ, son of Joseph and Mary Christ.

I wasn’t sure why I was reading it, I don’t believe and probably never will but was I searching for something? If so what? I paused to think about that. Could it be I wanted to justify my agnosticism or rid myself of the conditioning I received as a child? I wasn’t sure, but was prepared to accept there was a man called Yeshu or Jesus as the Greeks wrote it, the New Testament was written in Greek by people who never met Jesus, many years later. There are twenty seven books in the canon, but only eight are believed to be written by the people who are given as authors, including Paul, seven of which are his, Revelation was written by someone called John but which John is not known, nor ever will be. It’s riddled with errors, contradictions and forgery and if written by God, he had a definite off-day in the office.

The Jesus of the Bible and that of reality were very different. The real man was an apocalyptic preacher who believed the world would end within very few years with the coming of the Son of Man. Paul expected the event to happen in his lifetime—it didn’t, hasn’t nor will happen. Jesus was wrong—it happens. Like many of the Jewish prophets, he paid a heavy price for his mistake or beliefs and his followers ever after have changed meaning or interpretations of his supposed sayings, even his life. In the end I felt quite sorry for him, just another deluded, religious fanatic whose followers created much of the misery in this world and still do—especially to each other.

It struck me as ironic that the Anglican church was in meeting to try and prevent schism over such things as same sex marriage and women bishops. I presumed all of those who were meeting were aware of the historicity of their religion, yet acted as if they didn’t following the party line instead of the truth—I felt little but scorn for them.

At six I went to see what the girls were doing. As expected, Danielle was waiting for the paint to dry before slapping on another layer, the younger ones were giggling but behaving themselves, helping each other with their hair or makeup. I went off to shower and change. With David cooking us up a veritable feast, I felt like we were celebrating the return of the prodigal son, in which case would I be the prodigal daughter because I felt were actually celebrating an outbreak of peace between Simon and me. I hoped we could move on after we talked, later on.

David was doing a leg of lamb—a whole one. Well, there is about ninety five of us and I like a decent slice or two of meat with my vegetables. I decided to wear a dress and because it was quite thin material, was glad we weren’t going anywhere outside. Stella had been reluctant when I mentioned it to her but eventually agreed to change into something better than jeans and an old sweater. Puddin’ and Fiona were very happy to dress up.

Julie and Phoebe rushed in and up to their rooms to change but Tom refused point blank. He had his suit on from work and that would ‘haf tae dae.’ I decided not to send him to sit on the naughty step as tonight was supposed to be a celebration of reconciliation, not a squabble.

“Whit f’ are ye a’ dressed up like ye’re gang aft somewhere?”

“Because it’s Thursday.”

“Aye, I ken’t that.”

“Well then?”

“Weel whit?”

“Celebrate.”

“Celebrate whit? It’s freezin’ cauld, dark and mid January, whit’s tae celebrate?”

“We’re all alive. Is that not grounds enough?”

“Weel, if ye wisnae, celebratin’ micht prove a wee bit difficult.”

“Suit yersel’,” I offered in broad Glaswegian and he grinned—then went and changed. And he has the nerve to suggest women are fickle—or was that Verdi?

Simon arrived with Sammi, who entered and stood shivering, skirt up round her bum and thin tights. “Go and change, darling,” I instructed her.

“How long have a got?”

“I hope many years, but to change, twenty minutes.”

She groaned and her heels clattered up the stairs despite the expensive stair carpet.

“Me as well?” said Simon looking tired.

“Yep, I laid your dress out on the bed,” I teased.

He embraced me and said quietly, “If I looked as good in one as you do in that, I’d happily wear one.”

“If you did, I’m not sure I’d be quite so pleased to see you,” I replied and we both laughed before he went up to wash and change.

I told David twenty minutes and he nodded. The kitchen was smelling delicious and as it over six hours since I’d last eaten, I was hungry.

Finally, everyone was ready and we sat at the table and ate an exquisite meal with a glass of Prosecco. After we’d finished the main course, I stood and proposed a toast. “I may not always see eye to eye with him, but I’d like everyone to toast the best husband in the world, mine and I love him as much now as I ever have. To Simon.”

From the deep shade of red he went, I think he was either very warm or embarrassed. However, it soon passed and he stood and said, “I have to respond to the toast my dear wife just made. Compared to her side of the relationship, I’m grossly inadequate as a husband and other parent. All I can say in response is, I shall try to do better—sounds like one of my school reports—like I said, I’ll try to do better but I love her even more than I did an hour ago. To my own personal angel.” He raised his glass and they all repeated his dedication. Boy, is it warm in here or what?

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
244 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It was Verdi

littlerocksilver's picture

... in Rigoletto. The Count of Montua sings "Women are fickle." Of course, he was the most fickle of all. Glad to see the prosecco. The two of us drink a bottle every evening. Glad to see things have smoothed over a bit. Time for another crisis.

Portia

Bet the two of them looked like radient heaters

So nice to see every one dressing up for dinner.
But, even nicer to see Cathy showing Simon how much he means to her.
I hate it when Mommie and Daddie fight !

Cefin

The Owl and the Pussycat

Rhona McCloud's picture

The Owl and the Pussycat was going through my mind as I read today’s post Angharad (possibly because I am going to the theatre to see it this evening). The image of such unlikely fellow voyagers seems an apt simile for Cathy and Simon, even if they have had to build an extension to provide berths for their enlarged family. Long may they sail together.

Rhona McCloud

Enjoy the show

Angharad's picture

Don't buy any pea green boats.

Angharad

pea green

Maddy Bell's picture

Is so boring, now a nice mint or lentil would be acceptable!

Nice chapter Ang but i'm waiting for the shoe to drop!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Peace in Portsmouth

I am happy, tearful even that the two knuckeheads decided to take it back a notch. I was married 39 years and there were several of these incidents.

On the other matter, Christ was not his last name since the word simply means "savior", so the correct rendering should be Jesus the Christ. Religionists here in America, and perhaps else where have made a right muck of it. I've been studying religion from the point of view of an Archaeologist for weeks. And will perhaps get round to buying "Jesus Interrupted" for kindle yet tonight and hope that he is not whiny like Dawson.

To add to the fun, I'm having a severe attack of diverticulitis and as a result taking the most abhorrent antibiotics imaginable, leaving a taste in my mouth like a pigeon shat in it.

Took a little nap this afternoon and wakened in a solid weeping fit. Seems the dream was about my youngest daughter having rude things said to her about her daddy dressing in skirts. It had been going on for years and she'd said nothing to me about it.

Not doing anything rash here now, and when the illness clears if I still feel the same, I'll return to living as a man. No cutting off of the breasts, and I'll keep on with the very light dose of Estrogen. No cutting of the hair since that is quite part of American culture now. To be clear, no drama or suicide. Everything is fine, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Oh must buy a funnel thing.

The best part of fighting....l

D. Eden's picture

Is making up.

And of course the make-up sex after, lol.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Glad That Quarrel is Over !

As my favourite Venusian Treen was fond of saying, "Truly I will never understand Humans!".

For those younger than me, which probably means at least 99 % of you all, there was once upon a time a comic, published in Britain, called The Eagle. The front page was about a group of humans who travelled to Venus to find out whether it would be suitable for colonisation by Mankind, since even back then it was becoming obvious that the planet Earth was becoming seriously overpopulated, and many people were not getting proper food but had to live on synthetic food concentrates. The Captain of the expedition to Venus was a typical all male hero type called Dan Dare. Fortunately, they also benefited from having a proper scientist with them, who was a Lady, Dr. Peabody. The same publishers produced a slightly similar comic for Girls, called "Girl". In those days it was thought that only boys liked science and space exploration and adventure, girls had to put up with staying at home and learning using make-up and helping mother to raise babies. And for oddities like me, who had some bits of both, we were quietly hidden away, disguised sometimes as one gender and sometimes as the other. The worst of it was feeling excluded from both and being rejected as something Alien in childhood. So like most other misfits, I studied the biological sciences and eventually got around to studying humans, and what made them do what they do, but still I feel that I will never truly understand humans !

My dear parents used to have the most awful rows. Usually about Money, or rather about the lack of it. Britain had ruined itself fighting and beating off those Germans in WW2 - I was in the middle of it, as at age 2, whilst I was in bed one night, a bomb fell on the house, and I had to be dug free of the rubble. My Parents were never wealthy, but in this disaster they lost all of their possessions, and we became "Evacuees" - homeless people who were shoved from one place to another to suit the government's whims. A bit like Refugees these days, but within the country they were born in.

I remember hiding in a wardrobe with my younger sister, we were both frightened that they were going to kill each other, as the shouting and screaming got worse and worse. On another occasion I was doing my homework in the kitchen whilst they were arguing in the living room of our 2 up and 2 down rented cottage that was a converted stables, and they got me so worked up that I ran into their room and shouted at them that I could not do my homework with that noise going on, and I smashed a plate on the floor to shock them. My wee Sister was crying quietly in the bedroom she shared with them. They stopped.

Yet my Parents stayed together till my Father died. When he lay in bed, doubly incontinent and terminally sick, it was our Mother who washed and dried him, spoon-fed him, shaved his face and combed his hair. We were both grown up and had left home by then, but we used to go to stay with them as often as we could. It was only then that I understood that there are many different kinds of love, and although we neither of us ever saw them kiss or hug each other in all that time, she loved him, in a way perhaps bigger than the love between a couple who hug and kiss all the time...

I had wonderful parents, who sacrificed their lives so that their children could have a good education, get degrees, and fulfil their duties to their own children, and further, to the strange species that they sort of still belonged to.

I have been through two marriages, and a number of relationships of less semi-permanence, in my life so far. With my physical and mental differences from the Norm, I never really expected to live a normal life like a real human at all, but I have been more fortunate than I ever deserved, and I now have 2 grown up, normal children and 3 grown up Grandchildren and soon a Great Grandchild will be there too, plus lots of cousins, nieces and nephews, scattered over three continents, who make a real drain on my finances when they all have to be presented and carded and given telephonic, internet and even sometimes personal visits and advice.

I really felt the fears the Children felt for our favourite married couple in Angharad's Universe. Please Angharad, don't let this sort of thing happen again for a few ages.... The trouble is, you are so good at writing that it is like it is all real.

Briar

My sentiments exactly!

Christina H's picture

I have already said that I act just like Cathy cutting my nose off to spite my face - but when you have a partner that explodes in the same way that Simon does then when we both come to our senses making up is wonderful and we happily carry on until the next time I become a total idiot!

Love is wonderful

Christina

Dressing for supper was a

Dressing for supper was a given in the home I grew up in. Not formal wear, but you could not be in either your school clothes or play clothes. So many times I sat there looking at my mom and sister in their dresses or skirts and tops, and dreaming I was wearing one as well.
I am happy that Cathy and Simon reconciled and both have a better understanding of each other.
All marriages go through arguments, but a comment made to me by my Grandmother, when I was 14 years old has always remained with me. "Never go to bed angry". I am now 74, and it has seemed to work well over the years.
I lived with that comment all my life, and have tried to instill it with my children as well.