Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2840

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2840
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

“So who are our guests tomorrow, and how many for dinner?” asked David as I entered the house behind a horde of giggling schoolgirls. What set them off I have no idea, I don’t think they did either—one of the joys of being a kid, enjoyment isn’t conditional, it’s spontaneous and total.

“I don’t know,” I shrugged. The look that accompanied my answer told him not to push it.

“Do you know how many?”

“Yes, us lot plus two. Use the best china and silverware.”

“Ooh, someone posh then?”

“If I knew I’d tell you. Last time it was some total arsehole he couldn’t stand but he got the deal he was chasing. It could be something similar, I don’t know.”

“Did you see some guy was shouting the odds about another recession caused by the drop in oil prices and the crisis in China.”

“The oil business is designed by the Saudis to destroy the US shale oil industry.”

“That’s what they imply in the Guardian.”

“Must be true then. I’m going up to change could you do me a pot of tea?”

“Certainly, modom.” He bowed and then laughed as I gave the finger as I went out the door. Bloody servants, don’t know their place anymore.

It was certainly getting a bit cooler with more cold to come—wonderful, the junior doctors are on strike tomorrow—I hope they wear warm clothes on their picket lines, I’d hate for them to become ill, they may need a doc—oh never mind. I pulled on some jeans and a thick tee shirt over which I donned a cardigan—one with pockets; so much better for leaving tissues in when putting in the washing machine; ensures a more even dispersal of the little bits.

Back downstairs I drank down a mug of tea added some more water to the pot and asked the others if they wanted any. David already had one, Stella wasn’t back yet from work or the crèche, so only Danielle came for one.

“So what’s this about a dinner party tomorrow?”

“I only know he’s invited two guests?”

“Like who?”

“Like I don’t know, darling, so don’t keep on.”

“Okay okay, what have I got to wear?”

“You know your wardrobe better than I do.”

“No—I meant, have I got to wear anything special?”

“Smart casual, I expect. Mary Berry, here,” I nodded at David, “is the only one who’ll be in fancy dress.”

“Bitch,” was muttered from behind me and Danni nearly dropped her cup laughing.

“If it’s any different, I’ll let you know.”

“I wondered if I needed a new dress or anything?”

“No, you have plenty of clothes.”

“Can’t blame a girl for trying,” she smirked.

“You tell her, girl,” David offered her support.

“Perhaps you could have a new dress,” I said pretending to have had a change of heart.

“Oh?” she said her face lighting up.

“Yeah, I get your daddy to take it out of his bonus.”

“Bah,” said Danielle sounding like a frustrated sheep.

“You leave my bonus alone, missus, if you want edible food for tomorrow.”

I glared at him and he chuckled to himself. I went off to do some survey work until dinner was ready. Simon arrived with Sammi at half past six and Daddy arrived a few minutes later.

“So who are our visitors tomorrow, Daddy?” asked Danielle.

“What visitors are these then?”

“You know perfectly well what I mean.”

“Do I?”

“Yes, you old meany.” She was holding his arm and putting it over her shoulder—what happened to the kid who used to be my son, this was out and out flirting?

“Who said we were having visitors?” asked Simon.

“Mummy said you did.”

“When did I say that?”

“I don’t like know, do I?”

“So she could have made it all up then?”

“No, she doesn’t do things like that.”

“How d’you know that?”

“She hasn’t got enough imagination.”

Simon thought that was hilarious as did David. Someone else in the room wasn’t quite so sure of its humour value, viz. moi. However, I let her wrap Simon around her finger and con him out of forty pounds for a new dress. Serve him right, I thought. Either that or it’s just about enough to keep her in mascara for a week or two. I think she applies it with a plasterer’s float.

At dinner, Simon decided to put us out of our misery, “We’ve some guests coming for dinner tomorrow, with their little girl.”

“Who’s that?” asked Stella.

“Friends of your mother’s.”

They all suddenly looked at me as if I had the answer to the puzzle and of course I didn’t. The only friends of mine with a little girl were Siân and Kirsty or Stephanie and they’d have approached me not Simon. “I have no idea who you’re talking about.”

“’Course you do.”

I racked my brain but unless it was Abi from Sussex I had no idea who else had a young child. “Well I can’t think of anyone.”

“We had dinner with them at the hotel.”

“Did we?” that was no use, we’ve had dinner with dozens of people at the hotel and none had a little girl as I remember.

I shook my head, I hated these guessing games, especially when it’s obvious even to a blind man, that I have no idea of who he’s talking. “I don’t know.”

“Yes you do, you’ve just not thought hard enough.”

“No, well I’ve had enough. It seems obvious that you’re going to torment me and the others until we scream for mercy. Well stick your dinner party, you can host it yourself.” I stood up and stormed away from the table to go and sulk in my study.

About ten minutes later there was a tap at the door and in walked Julie with a cuppa. “Thought you might like this.” She placed it down in front of me.

“Thank you, darling. So did he say who was coming?”

“Yeah, some bloke and his wife.”

“And little girl, don’t forget her.”

“Sorry, yeah her as well.”

“Did he say who they were?”

“He said the bloke was coming to see if the bank would finance something.”

“So I’ve got to keep a young girl amused, have I?”

“I think that was being delegated to Meems and Trish.”

“Trish? Child care, she’s more Mr than Dr Spock.”

“Who?”

“Dr Spock was an American childcare specialist who used to appear on television with advice about rearing babies, Mr Spock is Leonard Nimmoy with funny ears, he who has very few feelings for anything.”

“I knew who Mr Spock was, I watched enough Star Trek, to boldly go...”

“To split infinitives.”

“What?”

“It should be, ‘To go boldly.’”

“What?” I could see boredom spreading across her face.

“So who’s coming?”

“Only some has been movie star and his supermodel wife.”

“What Matthew and Judy?”

“Yeah, I think that’s them, wasn’t he in a Bond movie?”

“I think he was, he rescues 007 and gets killed in the process.”

“Could be, can’t really remember.”

“I wish he’d said, your father that is. Oh hell, she’s coming and would look like a million dollars in a black rubbish sack, I’ve got nothing to wear.”

“You’ve got nothing—what about me, Mummy?”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
241 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Its a good job

Simon has deep pockets, Sounds like he will need them , Guess thats one of the penalties of living in a house full of women ..

Kirri

Like mother

like daughter. Cathy has trained her well.

our

Maddy Bell's picture

Cathy is certainly a short tempered moo at times, I really feel for Simon, he can never do anything right (okay but she complains about that too!).
One minute it's all about mumsie, next it's trying to compete with a supermodel - make your mind up girl or we'll send for the white coats!
Don't think Danielle was ever a boy, Tom type maybe, she sure has Simon figured out, thankfully my offspring never really got that!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Enough of his games

I would not be surprised to see Cathy hare off to Bristol, and it would serve him right.

Gwne

The Russians

I thought it might of been the Russian Leader, but I doubt Simon, or the Cameron empire would want to see them. Plus, didn't the president die, or Cathy put a hex on him?

I probably wanna know, what I don't know

It's the cook I feel sorry for.

It's bad enough not telling Cathy who's been invited but doubly so for David. Cathy has no idea yet about any dietary preclusions and therefore poor David is left completely in the dark as far as producing something special is concerned. Some dishes take a day or even longer to prepare.
Still lovin' it Ang.

bev_1.jpg

As Simon said to and informed

As Simon said to and informed Cathy initially that it would be two people, and she so told David, I am taking a guess here that it just might be the Russian Mother and her child that Cathy saved.
Perhaps s/he is now a full girl rather than a boy?

Superslim supermodel?

Rhona McCloud's picture

It will be unforgivable if the supermodel has made one of those Hollywood-style figure recoveries after childbirth. Perhaps Cathy could get revenge by failing to remember the famous couple’s names (I can't but I bet Trish does).

Rhona McCloud

I'm With Cathy on this!

Christina H's picture

If my husband had tried to upset me by stupid guessing games I would have clocked him one!

THEN it would have cost him an arm and a leg for a dress - this girl knows how to shop.

I love my daily dormouse it's like a drug. But one that does you good

Christina