Guardian of Future Days, Pt. 3

Printer-friendly version

Author's Note: I thought I would try my hand at writing again by going back to the beginning: my first story here. It didn't garner much of a response but there wasn't much to it. I'm trying to write again and if I can kindle my creative juices and get over the apathy and issues caused by my illnesses then maybe I can return to some of my other stories.

Elsewhere. Sanctuary for the last remnants of humanity and the only safe place left in the world. The monsters can't follow us here so we live in safety, all of our needs provided to us by whatever force caused this place to form and remain stable. Some of us, Guardians, that is, believe that we formed this place when the first of us appeared as it does share some similarities with abilities we manifest. Plus, we're the only ones that can cross independently; everyone not a Guardian needs one of us to take them there.

In the beginning, when the Invasion started, when the pods started falling from the darkening sky like a cancerous rain, disgorging beasts like the one I had just fought, and before the Necropolis started to sprout in every major city on the planet, the first Guardians found Elsewhere and began evacuating survivors by bringing them across.

We still ventured out into the cities looking for survivors but these days they were few and far between. The beasts had killed the vast majority of humanity and the few who survived and weren't with us had a life expectancy of almost nothing whenever they dared venture out in search of food or help.

That's what I had been doing; looking for survivors and hoping to pick a fight. I found the second but not the first. I honestly wasn't expecting to but I was still slightly disappointed.

I closed my luminous eyes for just a moment and let the natural light of Elsewhere bathe me, cleansing and revitalising my body, mind, and spirit. It was a pure white, like my eyes, my aura, and my wings but not overpowering. Humans and Guardians alike found it a comfort as there was no light to be found outside any longer.

The skies were permanently blackened and artificial light attracted the beasts so anyone out there had to live in darkness or hidden so deeply that light couldn't be seen, hoping that the rubble between them and the streets was enough to shield them from the unnatural senses of the invaders.

With a sigh I headed towards the nearest entrance to the Sanctuary proper: a towering set of doors that rather resembled the doors on pre-invasion cathedrals.

Two humans were on guard duty, an unnecessary precaution but it made them feel safe so I couldn't begrudge them. One of them, Bill Talbot, held a huge (to me) shotgun and the other, Connie Williams, an assault rifle of some kind. Bill smiled as I walked up. He always smiled and never stopped trying to hit on me.

In his own, unique way.

"Hey short stuff, any notches on your sword tonight?"

I sighed and shook my head, hiding my grin. It wouldn't do to let him know I actually enjoyed the banter. "One dead monster, melting into the ground as we speak, and three more looking for me."

"Only three?" Connie asked. "Get back out there and take care of them, Arry!"

"Sure," I said with a smirk, "and once I'm done I'll just go and take out the Necropolis since you make it sound so easy."

Bill laughed. "That's the Arry I know! Beautiful and deadly, all wrapped up in a short and glowing package."

Short is a good description of a Guardian. If any of us topped five feet we were considered tall. Whatever agency empowered us felt that making us small and look like almost child-like was a good idea. I have no idea why and can't really ponder it too much since they also took away our pre-Guardian memories.

That's right: I don't have a single idea who the hell I was before I became a Guardian. All I know is that I was given a choice and took it.

All of us were of a type: small, slender, young in appearance with platinum hair and glowing white eyes. We all gave off an aura of pure white light which intensified when we called upon our powers. All of us had spectral wings which glowed with the same white light. We were angelic in appearance but none of us really thought we were angels. Honestly, we didn't have a damn idea what we were. Maybe Earth's immune system since we started appearing right before the monsters came.

If that were the case then we weren't very efficient since most of humanity was dead and their souls circled and powered the Necropolis.

I headed for the door and held up a hand in front of Bill's face, stretching my arm since I only came up to the top of his chest. "If you smack my arse again I will thrash you mightily about the head and neck."

He laughed loudly at that and opened the door for me. "Would I do that to my favourite Guardian?" His innocent look needed a lot of work.

"Yes!" Connie and I both said. "You've done it or tried every time you're on door duty. Just because I rescued you doesn't mean you get to smack my arse, at least not without dinner and flowers first."

He laughed even harder at that. "Go on in, beautiful. Connor is looking for you."

Lovely. Connor was my direct superior and a more humourless Guardian I had yet to find. He only wanted me when he had orders to bark or an arse chewing to deliver.

"Joy and rapture. I'm on fire with anticipation." I said with a sigh as I headed into the Sanctuary.

Behind me, unseen and unheard, Connie and Bill watched me walk in.

"Are you ever going to tell her, Bill?" Connie asked.

The look on Bill's face was uncharacteristically somber and one that I had never seen before. "No, Connie. It's not my place to tell. Whatever it is that chose her took away her memories for a reason and I don't think would appreciate me bringing up the past."

"If she's ever going to discover things it will be on her own, and not from me."

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Loving it!

I know they're short, just like she is (heh heh) but I'm liking it so far! =]

Sara

It's a lost cause...

Totally hooked I'm afraid! ^.^ More please :P :)

<3
- Lexie

It's a lost cause...

Totally hooked I'm afraid! ^.^ More please :P :)

<3
- Lexie

It's a lost cause...

Totally hooked I'm afraid! ^.^ More please :P :)

<3
- Lexie

Oh dear... not sure what

Oh dear... not sure what happened there... sorry for the spam -.-

<3
- Lexie

so no memories of who she was

I have a feeling she's going to learn something unpleasant if she remembers who she was ...

DogSig.png

A great beginning, especially

considering the mental trauma you are experiencing. I hope and pray that 2016 will prove to be a good one for you and that you recover completely.

Remember... here, you are loved and appreciated. Accepted as one of the chosen few who are blessed with GID. It is us, and others born with other maladies and injuries who are put here on Earth to teach the so-called 'normals' compassion and understanding.

Thank you for writing this tale and sharing it with us. Happy New Year.

Catherine Linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

Thank You

Thank you, Catherine. Writing and getting something new up last night helped. I've also reached out to a lot of people today so hopefully I can get out of the bad space I'm in and find reasons to keep going. The messages and responses to this and The Bridge have certainly helped.

Hugs,

Heather

Thanks Heather

Podracer's picture

For finding your way into the pages again, and giving us some more of this tale. Stay with us, in the light.

"Reach for the sun."