Heir to a Title - Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 5

The early morning found Ellie sharing a small inflatable with a couple of port authority engineers boat as she closely examined the dock wall and sounded the berth for depth and quality of bottom. What she was hoping for was sufficient depth so that the ship would always be afloat and when she had completed her survey she was satisfied that the berth had ticked more boxes than all the other berths she had seen. Not perfect of course; not many berths ever were but it was the best option so far. Some work would have to be done to stabilise the old dock wall and reduce the need for constant dredging. In a muddy tidal estuary such as the Humber, there would always be some need for dredging and that would have to be factored in.

After chatting at length with Miss Beverly, her boss agreed to come up on the Friday. This arrangement meant Ellie had the Wednesday and Thursday off and therefore some quality-time with her son. She went home early to Denton Hall that Tuesday afternoon.

As she drove up the drive she was pleased to see Callum on his pony galloping up from the lake and draw level with her car as she pulled up outside the house.

“Hello Mummy!” He called excitedly.

“Hello darling. Where are the girls?”

“Down in the lower hundred. They’ve found a badger set.”

As he dismounted, Ellie noticed he was wearing girl’s stretch jodhpurs. This concerned her because Ellie knew he had boy’s jodhpurs for she had purchased them when they arrived. She said nothing and he joined her as they entered the house via the main front doors. Ellie smiled to herself. Heretofore she had always driven around the side when visiting but today she just felt she had full rights to use the main entrance for she was, after all, now the mother of the only heir to the dukedom. Her position in the family was assured.

As she climbed the steps, no less than the Duchess herself emerged to meet her. Ellie smiled inwardly, - such a ‘family style welcome’ served only to reinforce her new position. The duchess smiled, extended her arms and embraced her daughter-in-law before they turned to enter the house.

“Hello Ellie, made it back early then?”

“I’ve got the rest of the week off, I think I’ve found the best berth option and Miss Beverly’s coming up to view it on Friday. That means I’ve got Wednesday and Thursday free.”

“Oh. That’s nice. Would she like to stay here?”

Ellie hesitated, the invitation was unexpected.

“I’m not sure if she can. I think she’s staying in Sheffield because she’s got some business to discuss with the steel-maker’s federation. I’ll ask her though when I speak to her later. She’ll be out on the quay in Dorset at the moment; one of the ships arrived just now.”
As Ellie finished, Molly noticed Callum’s jodhpurs. She turned to Ellie and spoke quietly.

“His riding outfit? Girl’s blouse as well.”

Ellie nodded as her concerns furrowed her brow.

“He’s got boys stuff. I kitted him out when we came.”

“Any idea why?” Molly asked.

“Not yet. I’ll chat to him inside.”

“Let me know what he says. It looks more serious than we thought.”

“We’ll see.” Ellie replied as her stomach knotted with anxiety.

After she had tied up a couple of loose ends over the mobile phone Ellie decided an excellent way to share some time with Callum would be to accompany him on a ride around the estate. After sharing some tea and scones with him, she went to change then met him by the stables where he was grooming his pony. He looked around surprised to find his mother kitted out for riding.

“I didn’t know you could ride mummy.”

“Your dad taught me before you were born darling. I know my way around the whole estate because we did lots of our courting here. D’ you want to come for a ride?”

“Yes please!” He replied eagerly. “That’d be brilliant!”

“Come on then, we’ll ride out to the Heath then down through the large woods and follow the river to the junction with the Ouse. We can then ride back through the lower hundred acre wood and we might bump into your cousins.”

She relished the smile on his face as he joined her in the stable to help her saddle up.

“Is your pony agreeable to another ride?” She asked him.

“I think so. He’s only been wandering with the other ponies while we were in the lower hundred acre wood. He hasn’t done much all day except trot out to the lake then walk to the hundred.”

Ellie nodded with satisfaction as they finished saddling their mounts. They told the groom what their intentions were and soon they were trotting
easily up to the ridge. As they crested the brow of the hill, they then turned to follow it along to the beginning of the heath. At the edge of the trees she turned to survey the extensive landscape. She noticed Callum following her gaze and she smiled t him.

“You know all this will be your land when Grandpa Harry dies.”

Callum’s eyes widened with distress.

“He’s not going to die is he?”

“No darling, not yet but he is quite old. When he does, I’ll be here to help you run the estate until you’re eighteen, - and after, if you want me.”

“I don’t want to think about it, come on, let’s ride.”

They followed the track further up onto the heath then, when the country opened up, Ellie increased to a canter before extending to a gallop. She was immensely pleased that Callum showed little fear as he matched her pace as best his smaller pony could.

After half a mile along a well marked path they fell to an easy trot and after a quarter of an hour, Callum turned with a little frown.

“I want a wee.”

They pulled up and she watched with surprise as he tugged down his jodhpurs and promptly squatted to urinate like a girl. Then he took out a tissue from his hacking jacket and promptly wiped himself. Ellie knew full well that boys normally just shook it and she sucked her lip thoughtfully as he wriggled his elasticated jodhpurs back up to his waist and tucked his blouse. She chose to walk back slowly while she carefully broached the subject. After some casual chat about the estate and his being an heir to the dukedom, she gradually brought the conversation around to growing up to become a duke, becoming a man, getting married and becoming a father. Eventually after she had established his feelings about growing up she asked him frankly.

“I’ve noticed you wore that nightie last night and you’re wearing some of your cousins’ old clothes even now. Will you want to wear ladies clothes when you grow up?”

Callum fell silent as uncertainty clouded his features.

“Are you angry?”

“No darling. I simply want to know why.”

He fell silent for several seconds before revealing that he didn’t know why – he just liked it. Ellie nodded slowly and waited for him to reveal more. Finally he asked.

“Can I wear them mummy?”

Ellie hesitated before answering.

“What if your cousins laugh or tell the others?”

“Who?” Callum wondered. “Which others?”

Ellie realised her son was right, there were no ‘others’. Her son only had two close friends in his old school and now he was going up to middle school there would be a complete change of environment and friendships. His friends might accompany him or go to different schools because they lived in different catchment areas. Ellie or her ‘olds’ had always ferried Callum quite a way to the junior school because their cottage was out in the country. She answered truthfully.

“Well at the moment darling, I don’t know. As you grow up you might find nasty people in lots of places. I’ll have a chat with Bampi Bill and Grandpa Harry before I say yes.”

“Grandma Molly has seen me in my nightie, and Auntie Julie, they don’t seem to mind.”

Ellie thought back to how much she and the duchess had become friends in the weeks since David’s death. She knew it was much to do with Callum becoming the only male heir but she could not fault Molly for wanting what was best for the family, – her family, - Ellie’s family. There was also the matter of David’s widow Julie, - her sister-in-law and her daughters, - Callum’s cousins. How would they take to Callum choosing to live for long periods in female mode?

They walked and talked all the way back through the other end of the hundred-acre wood until they met the three cousins preparing to ride back. It was obvious they had been ‘skinny dipping’ in the lake because each girl’s hair was wet, straggly and smeared with mud.

“My God girls! Weren’t you cold?”

They were shivering but in high spirits so Ellie threw her riding coat over the middle girl Eleanor while Callum volunteered his warm hacking jacket for the youngest girl Virginia. Once covered, they cantered home and the girls immediately dashed up to bathe while Callum helped the groom with the horses. Ellie was pleased at his thoughtfulness and willingness to help stable the horses. Later she was telling the Duchess and her sister-in-law about the girls going swimming at Easter time.

“I tell you the water is still freezing cold! They could have suffered from Hypothermia!”

At that moment the four children burst squealing into the drawing room in their nighties. Molly scolded them for just bursting in and not excusing themselves but Ellie noticed she said nothing about Callum wearing the nightie, nor did Julie. Ellie took some quiet reassurance from that. The children were sent into the family room and given hot chocolate then told if they wanted to stay up for dinner they had better get dressed.

As Ellie listened to the squeals and shrieks she turned to Julia.

“It’s lovely to hear children’s voices in such a huge house. It would be like a mausoleum otherwise.”

Julie turned as Molly released a soft involuntary sob at the word ‘mausoleum’.

“Come on Gran; cheer up, just be pleased you’ve got grandchildren to indulge. I know you miss your boys.”

Ellie stepped across and gave Molly a hug while Julie made her a cup of tea. They sat the duchess down on the settee and each took a hand to comfort her. No words were necessary; both daughters-in-law had suffered widow-hood. At that moment the Duke entered and studied the females in his life.

“Did I just see Callum in a nightie?”

“You did,” Julie answered, “and before you go off on one, remember your Uncle Mortimer used to dress. He still won the George Cross so let’s not be criticizing the boy.”

“Who told you about Mortimer’s cross-dressing?”

“Who d’ you think!” Julie spluttered, “David of course.”

Harry sighed then grinned.

“Well it’s all perfectly true but if Callum turns out as well as Uncle Mortimer, he’ll do all right”

He turned to Ellie and asked.

“Does it bother you Ellie?”

“What? Cross dressing? No, not really. Henry’s best friend James was - and still is a cross dresser.”

“Oh yes, that girl Jackie, she came to his funeral didn’t she?”

“Yes.” Ellie confirmed as Harry nodded and added.

“Well Henry and Uncle Mortimer were always close so I suppose he learned tolerance from his great uncle.”

“Henry and Jamie were good friends,” Ellie emphasised, “they won several cups in the university regattas despite Jamie deciding to live full time as a girl – or should I say woman.”

“Well, I can live with Callum cross dressing but let’s hope he stays as a man otherwise no children - and the Denton name dies with him.”

“He can freeze his sperm, provided he chooses to go to puberty without changing gender.” Ellie pointed out.

“They usually do, don’t they?” Harry replied.

“Not these days, Julie added. They give transsexuals the choice much earlier, or at least they block the puberty.”

“Well I hope it doesn’t come to that, or at least, if it does; we can persuade him to delay it until he can freeze his sperm.”

Molly snorted with mild amusement.

“My God Harry, you make it sound like a stud farm! Give the poor child some space. Nobody knows where it’s going just yet. I’ll go and help them dress for dinner.”

It was Harry’s turn to grin as he asked.

“What if he wants to dress in a frock?”

Ellie shrugged and made a wry smile.

“Well what if he does? Julie just said, - Uncle Mortimer often did!”

Harry shrugged and grinned back at Ellie.

“It’s your call daughter-in-law.”

Ellie shrugged and looked at Julie for support. Julie nodded her support for Ellie.

“I wouldn’t make an issue of it for Callum. I met Jackie at the funeral and as nice a girl you couldn’t wish to meet though she confirmed she’s got a girlfriend. I must confess it confused me but - signs of the times and all that.”

“Okay then,” Harry concluded. If he does dress in a frock for dinner, we’ll not scold the boy.”

“So long as he doesn’t scare the horses,” Molly giggled mischievously.

“Hrrmph!” Harry snorted at his wife’s gentle jibe about the phlegmatic upper classes and retaliated with equal gentleness.

“Enough of that my good woman, you were happy enough to marry into this crazy, family. Besides’ the horses are not coming to dinner.”

“Yes darling, I’m glad you agreed your crazy family needed some fresh blood!”

Harry grinned and turned to his widowed daughters in law before replying to his wife.

“Well Julie and Ellie have certainly provided it. Is that tea still hot?”

Molly touched the pot and nodded as she poured her husband a cup. Ellie smiled inwardly as Harry pecked Molly on the cheek as he took the proffered cup.

The pair are still in love!’ She noted. It was a lovely cameo and even Julie exchanged a glance with Ellie as she noted the gentle exchange.

After chatting briefly, Ellie made her way to the children’s bedrooms where she found Callum and Virginia busy on the computer fighting some interminable war-game. She noted that both children had chosen to be heroines and once again and Callum had borrowed one of his cousin’s outgrown dresses. It was a typical lavender-blue, party creation with a tulle underskirt that caused it to flunce when Callum moved. Ellie swallowed nervously but decided to say nothing and later on, seek professional advice before raising the issues further with her son.

For the Wednesday and Thursday, Ellie took Callum and his cousins to various museums and other places of entertainment but on the Friday she met her boss Beverly in Leeds and then Sheffield. By the end of office hours, Beverly pretended to be quite fatigued and remarked that she was going to book a hotel room and spend the night in Leeds. Ellie suddenly remembered about the Duchess’s invitation so after a quick phone-call to the duchess she offered Beverly a room at Denton Hall.

At first Beverly was reluctant to take it for she had planned on a night of transgender clubbing at a regular ‘Leeds-First-Friday’ transgender event that was held monthly in Leeds. Finally she came to an ‘arrangement’ after lying about her intentions.

“I’ve got some stuff to see to and I’m meeting a potential customer tonight, I might not get back to the hall much before midnight. I’m not sure the Duchess would take kindly to somebody staying for dinner then buggering off for the evening before returning just to take a bed for the night. If I remember rightly, don’t these toffs like their guests to stay and entertain them for the evening after dinner?”

“You should have told me, I’ll advise her ladyship right now.”

Ellie scolded her gently as she re-dialled the duchess again:-

“You mean she wants to go back into Leeds after she’s had dinner here?” The Duchess queried.

“Yes.” Ellie reluctantly informed her.

“She must be a very busy lady.”

“She owns a shipping line Molly! Need I say anymore? It’s something she built entirely with her own efforts. She doesn’t work just office hours. It’s always business, business, business; there simply aren’t enough hours in the day for her.”

“Alright then I’ll agree. Though she sounds like a remarkable individual. I’ll bet she’s got a remarkable life story to tell. Try and encourage her to stay for Saturday then we can chat to her when we dine on Saturday evening.”

“Okay, I’ll try but she is truly a busy lady.”

“She must be if she works on Friday nights. I’m looking forward to dinner.”

“Okay then Molly, Bye for now.”

“Bye’ girl, see you later for dinner.”

Ellie closed her mobile and turned to Beverly with a smile.

“She wants you to sing for your supper, preferably on Saturday night.”

Beverly nodded sagely.

“See, I told you she would. So are you telling me I have to stay over for the weekend or not at all?”

“That seems like the gist of it. Your diary’s empty until Monday, I know I checked with the office. In fact I’m curious to know who you’re meeting tonight.”

Beverly smiled enigmatically.

“Never you mind little Miss nosey. They are old friends.”

Ellie grinned.

“Oh so it’s not just business then?”

“Not entirely, now enough, let’s get today’s business finished and we can visit your Duchess friend.”

Ellie suddenly realised, she hadn’t fully explained.

“Oh she’s not a friend; well she is but she’s also my mother in law. She’s the Duchess of Denton, Callum’s grandmother.”

Ellie was a little disappointed that Beverly didn’t seem unduly impressed as Beverly shrugged and grinned.

“Oh, so I’m moving amongst the nobility then, am I?”

“You knew they were upper-class, I told you last week.”

Beverly faked a broad Yorkshire accent.

“Eeeh aye but I din’t realise they were that ‘upper’! A duke by gum! I thought they were just minor gentry or summat’. I’d bez’ be on ma’ best be’aviour then as like.”

“Stoppit!” Ellie smiled as she scolded her boss.

They both chuckled as they resumed analysing figures. When they had finished, Ellie’s stomach was starting to grumble. Beverly smiled at her.

“Come on, I don’t want you dying of starvation on the road to York.”

~o00o~

As they swept through the gates to Denton Hall, Beverly grinned as she went ‘Yorkshire’ again.

“By ‘eck! I should’ve brought t’ best gown. What’s t’ouse like?”

“Will you Stoppit! It won’t be that formal, it’s only a normal family dinner. The children will be eating with us as well.”

“Hope they know their table manners; speak when spoken to and all that.”

Ellie punched Beverly affectionately on the arm as she returned the grin.

“Stoppit, I tell you. It’s not like that anymore. They’re a great bunch.”

“You have to say that, you’re family. I’m just a jumped up oik who’s made a bit o’ brass. Gosh! What a lovely setting!”

They had just emerged from the wooded part of the drive and the house lay before them nestled in the shelter of the ridge but with fine views to the south and west; - a perfect sun trap. They swept unannounced up to the large front door and stepped out. They were both stretching their arms as the door opened. The duke emerged alone.

“Ah! Hello Ellie and this lady is Miss Beverly I presume.”

“Yes Harry, my boss and friend; the lady who chose to employ me after Henry was killed.”

Harry reached out and shook Beverly’s extended hand before embracing her and touching cheeks. Beverly was amused and yet pleased with his friendliness. She had always thought the real nobility to be much more reserved. After separating, Harry called into the house and a young man in jeans and a plain white shirt emerged to take her bags. Harry explained.

“Don’t mind Eddie. He’s our footman and general factotum. He’s off duty now and going out for the night. He offered to stay and help us, provided you arrived in time – and you have. Thank you Eddie, see you on Sunday morning.”

“Yes sir.” The young man replied as he easily lifted both of Beverly’s suitcases up the steps and deeper into the house.

Harry led Beverly into the drawing room to meet the rest of the family. Beverly noted they were very casual except for Molly the Duchess, who was wearing a smart green velvet two-piece with a discreet gold necklace. Julie was wearing a pair of tailored trousers and a pretty embroidered top while the children were standing respectfully beside her in various tidy but casual clothes. Ellie was relieved to see Callum in seemingly androgynous jeans and a turquoise tee-shirt. Only a sharp-eyed observed would have recognised that the jeans closed on the left and his trainers were slightly effeminate but Ellie was basically at ease with his appearance.

It was obvious that this was not to be some formal dinner but an intimate family meal. Beverly was glad for she had only brought her normal business suite and an outfit to go clubbing in Leeds-First-Friday. It was not the sort of outfit one would wear to any dinner, - let alone a meal in a ducal seat. Fortunately there was no need to change and she was led into the dining room by Julie and Ellie.

The meal proved a great success. The duchess used her well honed conversational skills and extracted some of Beverly’s life story that mostly concerned her successful shipping venture and the various financial escapades she had experienced on the way to her success. Beverly skilfully avoided any aspects of her earlier life as a ship’s captain. More importantly, there were no revelations about her transgenderism.
She explained that she was meeting a prospective customer from Germany who was flying into Leeds-Bradford airport and she was picking the client up with a view to visiting Sheffield on the Saturday to meet some steel bosses. In fact, the German steel baron was also a transgendered friend and she had never been to Leeds-First-Friday. Beverly was yet again killing two birds with one stone; business and pleasure.

After changing in Denton Hall, she made her apologies and explained she would be back around one a.m. The Duchess looked askance at Beverly’s somewhat immodest dress but she explained it away by declaring that sometimes a girl had to wow a potential client. The duchess smiled knowingly as Beverly started her Aston Martin and scrunched softly on the gravel as she moved off slowly to avoid exciting the children, especially Callum now preparing for bed and also to avoid the dust cloud she had inadvertently raised on her arrival. The Duchess stood beside Ellie as the car picked its way carefully along the drive and they both exchanged grins as eventually the Aston’s full throated roar told them Beverly had joined the main road.

“Come on, let’s go and entertain the children. I noticed Callum and my grand-daughters all staring wistfully at the car.”

“Afraid so,” Ellie grinned. “Callum doesn’t know it yet but he’s travelling back to Dorset in that -Beverly’s treat. I’ll be following on in my car. I’ll be picking him up at Beverly’s cottage when I finally arrive home. Apparently she’s got quite a family.”

“I’m impressed.” Molly replied, “a business-woman and a mother as well.”

“You don’t know the half of it.” Ellie finished.

up
298 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That was mean

So,

What is this "mythical" title???

Title

Gee. And here I thought the title was "Title". ("Title" is the only consistent word in all five chapter headings.)

Enjoying the story.

Great story, Beverly

I jumped the line, and went to this one. Boy did I miss a lot. Going back to the first posting to catch up.
That appears to be all I do these days
I have discovered another author who excels at conversational dialog.

Cefin.

Thank you Beverly,

Another wonderful story,absolutely loving it !!

ALISON

So unknown to them, Ellie,

So unknown to them, Ellie, Julie, Molly and The Duke/Earl they have a new friend who can give them lots of information on the TG issues and life for one who may be TG, a little boy/girl named Callum. Should be interesting as time goes along.

Let's see if I have this

Let's see if I have this correct, Beverly is transgendered ? Is this a little like what Mel Brooks used to do ?
Great back and forth dialog. Love the way tg and ts is gently being woven into the story

Karen

Interestin

I hav the same questions