Shadow of the Heart Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version


Shadow of the Heart

Chapter 7

Cold War

We talked most of the day and into the night. Grandmother told us of what she had seen and guessed. She did not know who this worlds Chosen was just it was not anyone we knew. She thought that our job was to keep those that would be on our side safe when we could. I thought of all the people in the Office wondering who I could trust enough to make contact with? Not many came to mind. The darkness outside mirrored my thoughts at that moment. We headed to bed about midnight but I was sure I would not sleep well if at all.

Morning found me sandy-eyed and cranky. Dan did not seem much better as he made breakfast. Grandmother and Lily were chatting up a storm and driving me up the wall across the ceiling and down the other wall! I decided to go hunting today alone. Taking my crankiness out on some beast would settle me down a bit. So after eating I leathered up and grabbed my bow. I was just grabbing my quiver when Grandmother said "Try not to kill more than you can carry dear. See you at noon." That was it. Off I went to hunt the rascally rabbit.

By 11:30 I had 4 nice rabbits and a better outlook on the day. I walked along the river thinking about my life knowing I would have to fight a cold war and stay under the radar to keep those I cared for alive. Looks like I would move from being a protector to being a spy. I hoped I am up to the task.

I reached the castle at just before noon. Grandmother and Lily were cooking a big lunch and chatting as I came in. I took care of the rabbits and washed up. Dan came in and we ate. Grandmother said "I need to go back to the cabin. From there I can monitor what is going on in the world. We need information if we are going o help anyone." She sipped her drink and continued "I think we need to explore what we can do in the way of helping. Would you be willing to take people in if we need to make them disappear?"

I smiled "If need be. We need to be careful who we bring here though. This place is not in the line of fire at the moment and I want to keep it that way. With the traders coming by every 3 months we should be good for awhile. If we hunt and gather more and preserve the meat by magic we could hold 20 or so. I don't want to go over that by much if we can help it. We could send some back after a bit but some may need to stay longer. A few will make Wind Haven their home. I am not sure if this is a good idea or not but it is the only way I can see right now. What do you think Dan? How about you Lily?"

Dan stretched and grinned "Sounds good to me." Man of few words.

Lily smiled "I'll help anyway I can. You lead I will follow." I guess that makes me the boss. Just what I don't need! Well if we are going to have people over I need to clean this place up more. More work great.

Grandmother left for the cabin a few moments and many hugs later. Lily and I made a list of what we needed to clean and do so we would be ready for guests. It was a long list. The three of us split the list up and began working. It took a week to get halfway through the list. That is when Grandmother called needing my help.

She had found a possible person to rescue. I got ready and headed to the cabin leaving Lily and Dan to work on the list. The Cabin was looking lovely shrouded in the fall leaves. I took a moment to take in the view out the window before turning to Grandmother. She had a map out and was studying it. "There do you have a safe house near there Amber?" I looked and studied the map for a bit. I only had two safe houses left and they both were equal distance from the target area.

I told Grandmother "They are both far away from that area. I would be taking a chance using them. Any Ideas? We need something close and safe."

She smiled "Have I ever taught you any Ice magic? I am thinking of the Ice Mirror spell? There are many lakes and ponds around there. With the Ice Mirror spell you could make a instant mirror to get out of there. It would not be long lasting but it would work for a portal.”

I chuckled "That is fine for getting out but what about getting in? The longer I am in the area the more chance they will catch on to me. I don't want to be caught or lead them back home!"

"I got another mirror in the shed. If you are ready you can use it to the house of mirrors in the closed down carnival in the target area. You can shatter the mirror I have in the shed, it has a crack in it anyways. That will get you near where you need to be."

I smiled "That will work. Teach me the Ice Mirror spell." So for the next two hours she taught me the spell. It was like old times, I loved it. The spell was fairly easy to learn and I picked it up fast.

I got ready for my run by dressing in a black track suit and sneakers. I know it screamed up to no good but hay I thought I looked good. We walked to the shed and I looked at the mirror. The crack was all along one side. That would make it tricky to hold a portal long enough to get through. I will do it, I had to. Grandmother handed me the folder with the info on the target. I would read it when I get there. I opened the portal quickly stepping through. I was just through when the mirror behind me on grandmothers side burst from the pressure. Well saved me from shattering it. I hope Grandmother was out of the shed.

I worked my way out of the fun house. It was early evening so there was some light but a lot of shadows to hide in. I moved from one shadow to another steadily moving to the west. I knew where my target was hiding already without reading the file. There was only one safe spot in the area. The gang called the Blades roamed this area all night. They left only one place alone. Most people left Graveyards alone at night the Blades were no different. I knew several places to hide there and I am sure my target is in one of them. I slipped into the Graveyard and found a spot out of sight to read the file.

Name: Sera Lee Dinly
Age: 16
Skill: Computer Programmer
Skill Level: Expert
Danger Level: High

That is what caught my eye how can a Computer Jockey earn a Danger Level of High? This is going to be a strange one. I put the file away it was no help. I scanned the yard looking for hints where she was hiding. I moved into the area of the crypts. Bingo foot prints leading to the Grayson crypt. I slipped up to the door and could hear light music coming from inside. The door was ever so slightly agar. I opened it slowly so I could slip inside. The place was mostly dark but for a low light coming from the back of the crypt. I moved without sound till I could see where the light was. It was a small girl working on a laptop.

Without turning she said in a tired voice "Are you here to rescue me? If not then you better run." That was it this girl was scary.

I said "I am here to help you escape from the Tangents." Her hand was hovering above the enter key. Slowly she placed her hands on her lap.

"Where can I go they control all of this city? We will never get out of the city they are closing in. They will be here by dawn." She sounded really tired.

I smiled "I am going to take you out of this world to one they can't find yet. I fight them and help people like you get away. We will go to Wind Haven."

She turned to me allowing me to see that she was transgender. I smiled at her. She gave me a small smile. I held out my had to her. She said "You know and you are not turning from me?"

I waited for her to take my had. "All I see is a girl that needs help and I am going to give it to her. Pick up your gear and let's go. The longer I am here the better chance they will find me and you." She scrambled to fit everything into a backpack and grabbed a laptop case. Then we were off. we made are way to the nearest pond. Here is were I put my new spell to work.

It took 1/2 hour to get to the pond and find a clear spot big enough for the mirror. I could feel that they were getting closer. I cast the spell letting it thicken as long as I dared. I turned to her "You will have to trust me this is going to be strange but this way they can not follow. They are coming here goes." I opened the portal taking her hand jumped in. With my free hand cast a shatter spell as we exited the portal. It was strange but we landed standing up portals are not logical. I smiled down at her "That was close but we are safe now."

She was not smiling "What did you do? Where are we? This can not be real!" She continued to babble on getting more and more frantic. I took here hands to calm her.

I looked her in the eyes "I used magic to take use through a portal to another world. The Tangents can not reach us here. I live here most of the time with a few others. Calm calm calm please calm down. Inside the castle there is nothing that wants to hurt you.

At that moment Lily came rushing in "There is a raging Bear in the castle! Run for your lives!" She ran up to me and stopped "Hi Amber how was your trip? Who is the new girl?"

I gave her a hard look "What Bear I just got her calmed down. Her name is Sera you two can talk after you tell me about the Bear?"

Lily smiled "Oh that it is just Dan he is mad at me. We were playing cards on a break and he lost big so he has to do his list and half of mine. He is not happy when he found out the cards were marked. I am staying out of his way and I think you should too. He is in a foul mood now."

I sighed "Go find him and tell him you are sorry and do your list ALL of your list! Got that young lady!" She sighed and went off to find Dan. I turned to Sera and shook my head "It is not like this all the time just when I leave those two together too long." I grinned at her.


To be Continued

As always all Life Giving Comments are Welcome and Loved!

up
166 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

*LMAO*

Alecia Snowfall's picture

oh that was funny as all Hell*falls over laughing*

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Fun Story

I wonder how they will calm the bear down.

Nice

Gwen

Fun Story

I wonder how they will calm the bear down.

Nice

Gwen

That is fun ending

Enjoying your story. Sera is kind of mystery though.
Kudos.. :)

Change of name ?

So, how did Dan (in ch 6) get to be renamed to Ben in this chapter ?

oops

GypsyWoman's picture

I was thinking of my main story it is fixed now.

Kat H