DD Rides Again - chapter 4

Printer-friendly version


Chapter 4

By Penny Reed Cardon


This is a Fanfic of Crystal Sprite’s story Texas Gal.
Chapters 1 – 50 of Crystal’s story can be found on Crystal’s Story Site.
http://www2.storysite.org/a_crystal01.html
Chapters 51 – 53 are found on Big Closet.
https://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/author/csprite
This Fanfic is a result of my warped imagination and I take full responsibility thereof.

It has been said that this is not a true fanfic because it is a continuation of Crystal’s story.
It is true that this is a continuation of her story, but according to my imagination.
It is not intended to depict how Crystal would continue the story.

Monday July 10,1972

After a long day of flying, I was pretty beat and went to bed fairly early. Being an early riser, I dressed in what I hoped would be a lucky suit and went down to breakfast. I knew the French Toast they were serving couldn't compare to Tony's, so I ordered an omelet, with some hash browns on the side. Not seeing any of our people, I found a large empty table and sat down, where I could observe the comings and goings.

Shortly after I'd sat down, our people started drifting into the serving area, in three's and four's. It was interesting, although a bit sad, to observe how few crossed the imaginary Cast system boundaries. The engineers sat with engineers and the accountants sat with accountants. The VP's, being in a different Cast, sat with me.

As I walked through the reception lobby and the executive offices, at Ameri-Moore's headquarters, everyone greeted me by name. I only recognized some of them, but returned each greeting cheerfully. It was a few minutes before 9:00, when I said hello to Grandma's secretary. She returned my greeting and we chatted for a few moments before she informed Grandma that I was here.

Grandma was on the couch in the casual area of her office, "Darling, it's so good to see you. It seems like it's been weeks and weeks since I've seen you. You still need that hug?"

"It has been weeks, well almost two weeks to be exact, and yes I could still do with a hug," I said, as I crossed to the couch and sat next to Grandma.

"As long as you don't sit on my lap, you're welcome to all the hugs you want," Grandma said, as we embraced. "You've grown a bit in the last six years."

I relaxed in Grandma's arms, as I felt some of the stress of the last two weeks disappear. "Thanks Grandma, I really needed that."

"So, tell me how the recovery is progressing."

"Actually, in that arena, things are going really well. Word of the fire spread throughout the industry like, well . . . like a wild fire. Tuesday morning, after the fire, the first of our suppliers called, asking what they could do to help. Tom Harris got with me and we decided that the best thing was to have them send a copy of any unpaid invoices, with COPY stamped on the invoice. That way we can match up the copies we receive, with what came out of fireproof vaults. By Thursday, all of our suppliers had contacted us, along with most of our customers. We asked the customers to send us a copy of the invoices we've sent them over the last month, also stamped COPY, and to indicate if the invoice had been paid. With all the copies coming in, we'll know if our people followed procedure and put everything into the vaults, before they went home.

"Of course, everyone was given the new mailing address, for the offices in Jefferson City. By last Friday, the post office was delivering mail in boxes, at the loading dock, rather than hand carried in the front door."

"It sounds like you should have everything back to normal in a few more weeks," Grandma commented.

"Perhaps sooner, the new computer arrived last Thursday. By now it should be wired up and most of the preliminary testing, by IBM, should be finished. Then they'll load our applications and run through another several days of testing. Somewhere between this coming Friday and the following Monday, we should be ready to go back on line."

"That's wonderful, dear."

"Yes, it's a good thing we had a building with a computer center, ready to go. As you know, we really would have been scrambling without Roy Blu's foresight. I'm going to have the office buildings in Asheville and Owosso prepared with computer centers, as a 'just in case' measure. I don't think anyone will set fire to the new headquarters building, that would be too obvious, but it's better to be safe than sorry."

"I agree, another fire would be unexplainable. I also agree with your move to using a computer for Piermont's accounting. I like the idea so much that I'm going to have computer centers set up in the textile division and the cattle division, headquarter buildings. Along with setting up for a computer here in our Portland office building."

"Grandma, that's wonderful. What changed your mind about using computers?"

"Computers are something I've been considering for some time. But, it was the fire in Brandon that convinced me that the time had come to move forward with those plans."

"You think someone might attack Ameri-Moore?"

"No dear, but you never know when or where a natural disaster may strike. Being able to recover, as quickly as you're doing is well worth the expense. I think of the expense as disaster recovery insurance."

"I hadn't thought of it that way. I'll have to talk with Bill Marshal and see if we can write off the computer lease payment as disaster recovery insurance. In any case, with a computer in each division, we would be able to back up each other. That way if something happens to one division, the others could step in and take over, until they're back on their feet, with almost no interruption of services."

"I hadn't thought of going that far, dear, but that's a terrific idea. That's why I enjoy our private talks, you teach me all the new tricks."

"But Grandma, I thought I was learning from you."

"Who said learning was a one way street? Now tell me all about your battle plans with Alliance."

I explained in detail everything I had planned, from the buyouts of those that wanted to sell, to using the news media against Alliance. Grandma sat quietly, as I detailed the plans I'd made.

"You've put a lot of thought into this, but I have to ask, what about those who don't want to sell out?" Grandma asked.

"I've been thinking about that, but I haven't come up with a solution. I can't, and don't want to force anyone, to sell their company to Piermont. If I tried to do anything like that, I'd be no better than Alliance."

"On the other hand, if you do nothing your low pricing strategy will have the same effect, you'll drive them out of business."

"Exactly. I just haven't come up with a plan that doesn't have a negative effect on the other remaining independent manufacturers. There has to be one, I just can't think of what it might be."

"Have you considered offering them a limited partnership?"

"A what?"

"A limited partnership. Let me explain."

For the next half hour we discussed a plan that would allow Piermont to compete with Alliance on our terms, while preserving the independent manufacturers. It was about ten thirty, when I changed the topic of discussion. "Grandma, I have one more item we need to discuss."

"What's that, dear?"

"It's something that Bob Warren brought to my attention, after we talked last Friday. He reminded me that by selling the timber lands and sawmills to the lumber division, our cost for wood products will be going up, at a time when we're trying to drive costs down. He suggested that I do a little wheeling and dealing with you."

"You know I'll help wherever I can, what did you have in mind?"

"I was hoping we could work something out, where the lumber division would sell wood chips or logs, to Piermont's newsprint plants at cost. Only as long as we are in a price war with Alliance. Once Alliance calls it off and goes back to their normal pricing, then we'll do the same and of course, we'd expect to pay our normal price to the lumber division."

"That's more than I imagined. That will actually effect the bottom line for the lumber division. I'll have to think about that." Grandma paused for a few moments, then added "You mentioned a little wheeling and dealing, you've explained the dealing, now what kind of wheeling are you prepared to offer?"

"I'm prepared to offer you something you've wanted for the last three years."

"You don't mean?"

"I do. If the lumber division will sell at cost, all of the wood products needed by Piermont's newsprint plants, for the duration of the price war; I, along with the bulk of my executive staff, will assume operational management of the textile division, after I graduate next June, of course."

"Oh sweetheart, I know I said I'd like you to work your magic on the textile division; but I never intended for you to assume control."

"I know you didn't, Grandma. For some time now, the rumors have been saying that I've been running the division from behind the scenes. If I'm going to be accused of running the division, I might as well step out of the shadows, assume direct control, and restore the division’s profitability. Also, you and I both know that the real magic at Piermont has been coming from the management team that we've put together."

"What will everyone say about moving to Texas?"

"Who said anything about moving? We'll treat it like any other company that we've taken over. We'll temporarily move our people into management positions, evaluate the overall operation, evaluate each member of the management team, make whatever changes are necessary, and in general, inspire productivity with excitement, innovation, and incentives. And while we're at it, I'll take Judy under my wing, so to speak, and teach her what she needs to know to be the Division President."

"Oh Darla Anne, that's exactly what that division needs, a shot in the arm of youthful exuberance and fire. There's no way that I, or any of the existing management, would be able do what you're capable of doing. Are you sure you need one more year of schooling?"

"Yes. You know that I take my education very seriously. Besides, we've got the situation with Alliance to take care of and I want to give my people time to learn the textile industry. I'll tell them about the temporary assignment during the semester break, next January. I'd like a copy of the last ten years reports to hand out, at that time. Also, I don't think we should mention any of this to Mr. Edwards, until my team and I move in."

"I agree, the fewer that know about you taking charge the better. If word got out, some people may leave out of fear of the unknown."

"Exactly, I wouldn't want to lose good personnel, just because of the fear factor. Have you set up the off shore manufacturers that we talked about?"

"I've been doing some scouting for likely sights, but I haven't made any decisions as yet."

"I think you should go ahead with those plans. As we've discussed, the price of the competition’s every day clothes, has dropped below our cost. The only way to remain competitive is, to follow they're lead. But don't close all of the domestic factories, I have some ideas for upscale and high quality clothes, that can be produced domestically."

"What do you mean, dear?"

"I don't want to reveal any of my plans this early in the game, because right now, they're nothing more than vague ideas. But, I'm thinking of doing something like we did with the paper products. We'll develop a name brand for children's wear and one for young adults in every day wear, which will be what we import. Then another brand for special event wear, and a brand of high class, high quality wear."

"Oh yes, I like it. Are you sure we have to wait until next June?"

"Yes, it will have to wait. Grandma, it's almost eleven, don't we have a meeting to get to?"

"Yes, of course. We're meeting in the small conference room, down the hall. I guess we should be going, we don't want to be late."

Grandma led the way, as we entered the conference room we were greeted by the executive VP's from the other three divisions. I exchanged greetings with each of my counterparts, Mr. Patrick Malone for the Lumber division, Mr. Eric Jameson for the Cattle division, and Mr. John Edwards for the Textile division.

"Welcome everyone and thank you for coming," Grandma started, after everyone was seated. "I attended another executive meeting not too long ago. I was surprised at how informally it was conducted. I was equally surprised at how much was accomplished in such an informal setting. In an effort to challenge the old saying about old dogs and new tricks, I thought we'd try something a little different. First, I'd like a brief update on each division, and then we'll see where we go from there. Patrick, would you like to start the ball rolling."

There was a general look of shock on the faces of the three gentlemen, especially on Patrick's face. I wasn't sure, but to my knowledge, Grandma had never addressed any of her executive VP's by their first name.

Patrick was stunned a bit, but eventually found where his tongue had disappeared to. Once he had calmed down, he gave a brief accounting of the health of the lumber division.

"Thank you, Patrick. I know that was a bit of a shock and it took a bit of growing. John, what's the status of the textile division?"

John wasn't as shocked as Patrick had been, but it still took him a few moments to find his voice. After that, he presented a rundown of the textile division, which hadn't seen much improvement. He went on to describe the efforts that were underway to bring the division out of its five year slump. To my mind, it seemed that his efforts were on the feeble and half-hearted side.

"Thank you John. Eric."

Eric's report was a bit more positive. The herds and ranches were doing very well and they were looking at acquiring additional land, with plans to set up additional ranches.

"Eric, this is news to me. Why haven't I heard about these plans before?" Grandma inquired.

"Right now, the plans are still in the research phase. I was planning to discuss it with you the next time you came to Abilene. That new account we landed, McDonalds, they have projected to double, or triple, their beef requirements over the next five years. Considering the growth of our other customers, we've projected that we'll have to double the size of all our herds and processing plants, within the next three years. The ranches we have, won't support that kind of growth."

"Well, that is interesting news," Grandma said. "I look forward to a full report in July. Thank you, Eric. Darla Anne."

"Well, as I'm sure you're all aware, we lost our headquarters building, in Brandon Vermont, due to a fire." Everyone nodded, as they acknowledged their knowledge of the events. "The official report hasn't been released yet, but we are fairly certain that the fire was not an accident, or an act of god."

"What are you basing that on?" Patrick asked.

"Two things; first, the fire started in a storage area where there weren't any chemicals stored that could have caused or added to the fire, it was where we stored excess office furniture. Also, the buildings electrical had been completely overhauled two years ago, to get things ready for a computer system, so that rules out electrical malfunction. The second reason we suspect foul play is that, representatives of Alliance Paper, have been telling people, that if Piermont doesn't get out of the Northwest, they'll finish the job. The good news is, we've moved into the almost new office building, that we acquired as part of the Mo Paper buyout. Our replacement computer arrived last Thursday and it should be on line this Friday or next Monday.

"A computer?" Eric asked.

"Of course, a computer," I defended with a giggle. "With each new acquisition, our accounting department was growing exponentially. By automating accounting and installing a computer, we streamlined the overall process. In the process, we've reduced not only the size of the department, but most of the errors that were caused by the human factor. Now, instead of having a second accountant double checking the work of the first accountant, the computer provides the double check."

"In fact, I've been so impressed with Piermont's computerized accounting, that I've decided it's time to install a computer at each division headquarters," Grandma added.

"That's something I wasn't aware of," Patrick exclaimed.

"I may be old, but I can still learn a few new tricks," Grandma said, with a smile. "Darla, I suppose now is a good time to tell everyone what we're doing about Alliance."

"I guess you're right, Grandma. Last Friday, during our executive staff meeting, Piermont Paper Products declared a state of economic war with Alliance Paper." I went on and explained in detail what I meant, what our plans were, and how the lumber division would be involved. I also gave Patrick the deeds and titles for the sawmills and timberlands.

"I just spent a 100 million dollars?" Patrick queried. "I didn't know spending money could be so much fun, or move so fast."

We all chuckled at his humor.

Grandma had arranged for lunch to be brought in at noon and she called an end to the meeting at 1:00 pm, knowing I needed to get over to the paper plant. I was going to leave directly from the conference room, but Grandma herded me back into her office.

"But, Grandma. I need to get out to the plant," I insisted.

"Yes, dear, I know you need to be on your way. This will only take a moment. There's something in my office that I think you should take along this week. Kind of a good luck charm."

"After all the companies I've purchased, I need a good luck charm this week?"

"Well, perhaps a good luck charm isn't quite right. Let’s call it . . . a trainee," Grandma said, as she her pushed open her office door.

I went in first, looking back towards Grandma, instead of into the office, as I questioned, "A trainee?"

Not a half second later, I bumped into something, or rather someone.

"Hey, watch it sis," Susan exclaimed, as the two of us caught ourselves just before falling over.

"Gez Suz, what are you doing hiding in here?" I asked, while grabbing her shoulders to stop us both from falling over.

"Hiding? I was standing in the middle of the room," Susan professed, as we backed away from each other. "You're the one that came charging into the room without looking where you were going."

We both stood still for a moment, looking at each other. Then we started to laugh, and hugged.

"So, what are you doing here Suz?"

"It was Grandma's idea. She called me Friday afternoon and asked me to be here today at one. She said you were sad and needed some hugging."

"Well, I did on Friday. Oh what the heck, I still do," I replied. I looked over at Grandma, who was standing just inside the closed door, smiling. I reached over and pulled her into a three-way hug.

After we stepped apart, Susan asked, "So, why am I here?"

"I thought Darla Anne could use some company this week," Grandma explained. "Your job is to observe and learn how your sister does what she does."

"Grandma, is that what you meant about a trainee?" I asked.

"Yes, my dears. If Susan can learn how you distinguish between a good deal and a bad one, perhaps she can help me with future acquisitions."

"But, I don't know anything about buying stuff," Susan complained.

"I wouldn't say that sis, I've been with you in clothing stores. I've watched, while you were hunting for the right outfit, at the right price. Don't tell me you don't know how to shop."

"But, that's totally different," Susan professed.

"That's where you're wrong sis. Spending twenty dollars on a dress, or twenty million on a company, is pretty much the same process, there are just a few more zeros in the process."

"If you say so, personally I still think you're a little nuts."

"Nuts or not, Darla Anne has a record of success, that every business man in American is envious of. I think you, Judy, and Mary could all learn a few tricks from Darla," Grandma added, finishing our discussion.

So it was decided, Susan would be my companion for the week, I would be her teacher, and I was having one of those deja vu moments.

I had talked with Bob Warren at breakfast, about spending the morning at the corporate headquarters. We also concluded that it wasn't necessary to take everyone out to the plant, that afternoon. While I was spending the morning with Grandma, Bob had canceled the large bus and arranged for a limo, which would take the five VP's, Nancy, and me to the plant. They were to stop at the corporate offices to pick me up, before heading out to the plant. Of course, at the time we didn't know that Susan would be joining us, but one more wouldn't be a problem.

When Susan and I arrived in the lobby we found Bob was conducting a brief tour, as most of our people had never been to the corporate offices before. Susan and I, having spent many days in the building, decided to wait in the lobby until they were ready to go and enjoy a little, sister catch up time. After we were settled into the limo I introduced Susan to those that didn't know her. The ride out to the plant took about forty minutes.

Jerry was waiting for us in the lobby and after I introduced him to Susan, he escorted everyone up to my office, which I didn't know I had. I was having another of those deja vu moments, the President's office, in the Northwest Regional Offices, was almost a duplicate of the office I had in Brandon. After a brief look around it was time to get down to business and I invited everyone to take a seat around the conference table.

"Let's get down to business," I started. "We all know how much work we have ahead of us, this week. The first order of business is to get Bill's and John's checklists typed up and duplicated."

"I'll take care of that," Nancy volunteered.

"I'll arrange for a typewriter to be brought up to your desk," Jerry added, as he stood up.

"My desk?" Nancy questioned.

"I'm assuming you'd be using the desk in the outer office. The one for the President's private secretary," Jerry replied, with a smile, as he crossed to my desk.

Nancy smiled innocently and replied, "Oh, yes. That will be fine."

We waited a few moments, while Jerry made a quick phone call and returned.

"It should be ready for you in about ten minutes," Jerry said, as he sat back down.

"Thank you, Jerry," I added. "The next order of business is to get some large maps, so we can plot out where each paper plant is located, where the nearest airstrips are, and where hotels or motels are located."

"I have those in my office," Jerry informed us. "Where do you want them?"

"We'll take them with us to the meeting with the plant owners. That way there won't be any question about where each plant is located. Then, Nancy will be able to use those maps to coordinate the various activities throughout the week. I guess the next thing we need to know is when and where is the meeting with the plant owners."

"I've scheduled that for 5:00 in one of the conference rooms at the Hilton, next to the Portland airport. Most of those attending will be flying in and I thought that would be convenient for everyone," Jerry informed us. "I've reserved the room in my name, rather than the company name. I thought that under the circumstances, we wanted as little publicly as possible."

"Good thinking, Jerry," I commended. "For accomplishing what we're trying to do, the fewer that know I'm in the area, the better. The next item of business is, transportation for everyone. Nancy will be working out of her office, or my office. She will need a company car from the pool. The evaluation teams will need transportation to the airport, early tomorrow morning, I believe the chartered bus is still scheduled for that trip?"

"Yes, I confirmed the reservation for 6:00 am tomorrow, when I changed today's reservation from the bus to the limo," Bob confirmed.

"Terrific. We want the teams airborne by 7:00 am, with team one at its first inspection site by 8:00 am. Bob, I'm assuming you and your team will be using Piermont's G1, with Mike shutting the other three teams in the rental?"

"That's correct, Mike thought I should have the honor of flying Flower Power one."

"Flower Power one?" Jerry and Susan questioned.

"Oh, you two haven't seen what Victor did to DD's G1," Bob said. Everyone else chuckled, as Bob continued, "She almost went into shock when she saw it."

"Well, what did he do?" Susan asked.

John, who was sitting next to Susan, quietly explained. "You know the Flower Power note book cover that DD inspired?" Susan acknowledged with a nod. "Well, Victor took that design and blew it up. It covers the G1 from wingtip to wingtip and nose to tail."

Jerry smiled as he shook his head. Susan thought it was cool and couldn't wait to see it. Everyone else went through another round of chuckling at the expense of my poor defenseless aircraft.

"I haven't decided what I'm doing with Victor about it," I said. "Speaking of airplanes, someone at Ameri-Moore was supposed to rent one for me, so I can easily jump from place to place. Do you have the specifics on that, Jerry?"

"It was delivered yesterday and was tied down in front of the Ameri-Moore hangar."

"'I didn't see a 206 when we tied down the G1's, did you Bob?"

"Oh, it isn't a 206," Jerry added. "They didn't have a 206, or a G1. They rented a Beechcraft, King Air, B90."

"A Beechcraft, King Air? We did see one of those, when we were fueling the G1's. It's a nice looking plane, but I've never flown one before."

"The rental company said, that if you can fly a G1, which they said handles like a truck, the King Air will be easy to fly and it should feel more like a fine spots car."

"Really? This could be interesting. I'd still like to have an experienced pilot go up with me for a check ride."

"I'll take care of that, DD. When do you want to have someone meet you at the plane?" Jerry asked.

"I guess the only time I'll have is right after our meeting with the independent owners, say 6:30 pm."

"I'll set it up," Jerry concluded.

"You'll set it up?" I asked.

"Yes, I'll set it up. Your secretary at Ameri-Moore gave me the details this morning. I've been handling most of the details of your visit myself. We didn't want the word of your visit to be leaked outside the company," Jerry elaborated.

"I understand, but I'm sure that news of my being here has spread throughout the plant."

"I told people here that you were coming on an inspection tour, nothing more."

"Well, in that case, as soon as were done here, I guess we'll have to go on a tour of the plant."

"Yes ma'am," Jerry agreed, with a smile.

"Tell me Jerry, does this office have a direct phone line, one that doesn't go through the switchboard?"

"Yes, it does."

"What about the phone in Nancy's office?" I asked.

"I'm afraid that's a standard interoffice phone," came Jerry's reply.

I was shaking my head as I continued, "Nancy, I know it's going to be a tremendous hardship on you, but I'm afraid you'll have to work out of my office, the rest of the week."

Nancy gave a fairly melodramatic sigh, accompanied by touching the back of her right hand to her forehead, "I'll do all I can to make best of a bad situation, Miss Drake."

"I know you will, Nancy."

Everyone was chuckling, as Nancy and I lightened the mood. We discussed several other subjects before adjourning the meeting, and we went different directions.

Bob, John, and Susan, joined Jerry and I for a world-wind tour of the plant. Nancy set to work on the checklists. Bill and Ron went to accounting to see what mischief they could get into. Gerard got the information from Jerry and made the call to the aircraft rental agency, as well as checking on things at home.

It was pushing 4:00 pm when we got into the cars and headed for the Hilton, with so many people coming to see me, I didn't want to be late. When we arrived at the Hilton, I went into their restaurant and asked for the manager. He was very pleasant and once I explained what I wanted, he was very happy to help me out. I provided him with billing information and he gave me a small stack of gift cards.

When we were shown to the conference room, it was much larger than I'd anticipated, but it did have the option of being divided into two rooms. I asked Jerry what it would take to have the dividers put into place, giving us access to both rooms. Jerry disappeared and a few minutes later he and four men from the hotel, appeared. They opened a large panel and started moving the dividers into place. While all that was going on, Nancy and I got to work, writing a brief note on each gift card. Then I signed each gift card.

By the time Jerry and the hotel’s crew were finish, with the wall, the first of our guests started to arrive. At 5:00 pm, I stood in front of the small gathering, there were just over thirty people in attendance; mostly men, but there were several smartly dressed women.

"Ladies and gentlemen, good evening and welcome," I opened. "I'm Darla Anne Drake and this is Paper Manufacturing 457, How to compete with an overly dominating competitor. If that isn't the class you signed up for, you're in the wrong place."

After the laughing died down I continued, "That's how quite a few of my professors start each class at the beginning of each semester, it assures that someone isn't in the wrong class by mistake and I wanted to make sure that everyone was here for the same reason. Obviously, my associates and I are here representing Piermont Paper. I'd like to go around the room and have each of you introduce yourself and identify what company you represent."

They started hesitantly, but eventually almost everyone identified themselves and what company they worked for. I noticed there were two in the back that weren't saying anything and appeared to be taking notes.

Bob noticed the same thing, leaning over he quietly asked, "What about the two in the back?"

"Take our guys back there and see what's going on," I whispered back.

Bob took Jerry with him down one side of the room while Bill and John went down the other side.

While the guys went to investigate I continued. "Second, I want to thank each of you for coming, I realize I extended the invitation to be here on very short notice. I hope that none of you were terribly inconvenienced. As a token of my appreciation I have something for each of you."

Standing, I started handing out the gift cards. "These are good for dinner, here at the Hilton's Restaurant, for you and a guest. You’re free to use them tonight, or the next time you're in Portland."

As I was explaining, I saw Bob taking a note book from each of our unidentified guests. They then stood and were escorted out the rear door.

"Is everything under control, Bob," I asked.

"It is now, but apparently our secret meeting isn't a secret anymore," Bob replied.

"I take it that those two gentlemen were -"

"From Alliance Paper," Bob confirmed.

"Is anyone else spying for Alliance?" I asked bluntly, as I finished handing out the last few gift cards. There were no admissions or faces that displayed any sign of shock or terror, so I could only assume there were none.

"I wonder how they found out about this little get together," I asked rhetorically. "Oh well, I guess since the cats out of the bag, we might as well get on with our discussion. We all know that Mr. Robert De Forrest has been using some legal but decidedly underhanded tactics, with the obvious intention of driving everyone else, in the Northwest, out of business. I'm sure that everyone here knows that last January I purchased four plants. At that time Bobby called me and wanted to know my intention concerning any other purchases. I told him that I didn't have any plans for additional acquisitions at that time. We also discussed the futility of deliberately targeting a competitors customers with the intent driving the competitor out of business. I realize that is part of the corporate rules of the jungle, just not one that I subscribe to as a normal way of conducting day to day business.

"Between January and March, my office had received more than a dozen letters from individuals like yourselves, independent plant owners, offering their companies for sale. It was in March that we realized Bobby was using the same underhanded strategies against Piermont as he was using against the four companies I'd purchased in January. That was when I decided that the only way to get Bobby to resume a normal pricing structure was to do the same thing. I also decided, that if I could operate four plants at cost, I could operate more plants the same way. That's when I purchased the eleven additional plants.

"Of course, you all know about the fire at our headquarters in Brandon. We know the fire was set deliberately; we just don't have undeniable proof as to who set the fire, or whom they were working for. Now, I know that many of you have heard the talk on the streets, Alliance representatives are saying that Piermont is dead or dying. I'm here to tell you that Piermont is very much alive. We are strong and very determined to remain a competitive member of the paper industry. We've moved our headquarter operations to Jefferson City, Missouri, our replacement computer will be on line by this time next week, and other than re-staffing our headquarters, we are back to business as usual. The only real problem remaining is, how to deal with Alliance. That is why we’re having this meeting.

"Obviously, any letters offering companies for sale, went up in smoke along with my desk, in Brandon. So, if any of you sent me a letter, requesting that I contact you, would you please raise a hand."

A total of nine hands slowly went up. "Very good, now if you nine, along with anyone that came with you, would accompany Mr. Warren, Mr. Marshall, and Miss Pollock into the next room. They will collect your names, mark the location of your plant on a map, and schedule a visit by one of our evaluation teams, later this week. After that, you're finished here for tonight. Again, thank you for coming here and I look forward to visiting with each of you very soon. Would the rest of you remain here, please? I'd like to discuss with you the ramifications of a price war between Piermont and Alliance.

Twelve of the thirty-five followed Bob, Bill, and Nancy out. That left twenty-one people scattered around the room. As the group was leaving, I stood up to move closer to those that remained, inviting Susan and the rest of my team to follow. I then invited everyone to move in a little closer, I didn't want to have to talk loud.

Once everyone was seated I asked, "How many of you have been contacted by representatives from Alliance in the last two weeks?"

About half of the remaining gentlemen raised their hands.

"They didn't waste any time, did they?" I asked rhetorically. "Have they changed their offer, or is it still two million with no regard for your plant or how many acres of timber lands are included?"

"It's still the same," one owner grumbled.

"And the way they make the offer, they make it sound like they're doing us a favor," another anonymous added.

"So, are any of you considering accepting Alliance's offer?" I asked pointedly.

Everyone shook their heads and one added, "And we don't want to sell to you either."

"Great. Then this is just the group I want to talk with. How many of you would like to help me stick it to Alliance and keep your plants at the same time?"

They looked at me, then at each other, and back at me, with some of the most perplexing facial expressions I've ever seen. Even my people were looking at me funny. "What did you have in mind," someone eventually asked.

"Before I get into that, let me explain what's going to happen in the next couple of weeks. First, I'm going to buy a few more plants this week. Second, once we have the exact numbers, we'll establish ‘one price for newsprint’ across the nation, from Piermont. We'll run at just over cost for as long as it takes for Alliance's shareholders to complain about losing money. Unfortunately, there is a negative side effect that goes along with this plan."

"Yeah, US," someone complained.

"That's right, with you two going head to head there will be nothing left for us," another added.

"At least you're telling us you're going to drive us out of business," a third added venomously.

"Which is Alliance's goal, not mine," I reiterated.

"You just said that you're going to war with Alliance and that because of the price war, we'll be driven out of business," another owner stated.

"There are other alternatives, you could shut down and wait it out, or -"

"Or sell out to you? No thanks," someone interrupted me.

"Or join Piermont in a limited partnership," I finished.

"A what?" several echoed.

"A limited partnership," I repeated. "You see, if I were to ask all of you to sell your paper at the same price as Piermont, that would be price fixing, which is illegal. A price war however is legal. So what I'm proposing is this -

"I will pay each of you an amount of money and we will sign a contract the gives Piermont a controlling interest in your company. While your company is part of Piermont, you will be able to purchase your chemicals and supplies at Piermont's cost, and you will sell your paper at Piermont's price. Also, at a specified date in the future, you will buy back, from Piermont, full control of your company. Now then, I know you must have lots of questions and I'll be happy to answer them, but let's have a little organization and we'll get everyone’s questions answered. Let's start with this gentleman, here on my left, and work our way around the room."

"You said you'd pay each of us an amount of money for controlling interest, what does that mean, exactly?"

"Right, I figured that would be one of the first three questions. Very well, my plan is to give each of you four million dollars. That should be enough to appease any regulatory government agency."

"Who cares about the government, my company is worth more than eight million," one owner adamantly complained. His complaint was quickly followed by all but one of the others, all expressing the same opinions about the value of their respective companies.

Turning to the one gentleman that wasn't complaining, I asked, "I see you didn’t join in with the others, what do you estimate your companies value at?"

"Conservative estimates put it at between seven and eight million. I was actually wondering what you meant by 'buy back full control' and what that will cost us?"

"An excellent question. I think I'll answer your question first and in doing so, possibly alleviate some of the other gentlemen’s concerns. Buying back full control means exactly that. When the time is right, that would be at least one year after the price war ends, we will sign the appropriate paperwork and you will have sole control of your company, once again. The cost to buy back control will be essentially zero. You see, my plan is that the four million I pay for controlling interest will be placed into an account at your bank, and remain there untouched. The buyback price will be that four million plus whatever interest has accrued. So the cost to you, for Piermont helping to save your company, is essentially zero. Does that answer your question?"

"Yes indeed. Explained in detail it is very clear, but why?" he asked.

"Why what?"

"Why would you lay out four million to each of us while getting nothing back except standard bank interest?"

"Piermont is not South Core and Piermont is not Alliance. We do not employ underhanded methods to squash the competition. I have been known to take advantage of the situation when someone else is doing the squashing, but in almost every case, the victim was smiling when we parted company. This situation is very different. A prolonged price war between Alliance and Piermont could possibly drive several of you out of business, which as I said, is Alliance's goal, not mine. My goal is to sell newsprint at rock bottom prices and hold on, until Alliance's stock holders demand that their newsprint operation shows a profit. When that happens, Robert De Forrest will have no choice, he'll have to raise his prices and we will raise our prices to match."

"Do you really think you can out last Alliance in this price war?" another gentleman asked.

"By averaging the cost of all our plants that produce newsprint and selling at that price, to all newsprint customers, instead of as a discount to attract new customers, we'll probably have customers calling us. We haven't put together the final numbers yet, but I do know this. When Alliance acquires a plant they upgrade everything to the most modern equipment. That means they carry a large debt on each plant. Most of our equipment is older and not as labor efficient, but having a third or more of our plants debt free should make up the difference and actually allow us to run at a lower cost than Alliance is capable of, at least in the long term. Not to mention that I don't answer to a bunch of greedy stock holders; I only have to answer to my grandmother, and she's behind me."

"Grandmother?" someone asked.

"Yes, Mrs. Mable Moore is my grandmother," I replied.

"So, you're just a figure head and someone at Ameri-Moore is really calling the shots?" a skeptic on the second row asked.

"Hey, you don't even want to go there," John answered quickly. "DD has been making all the decisions since she bought Piermont four years ago and she's never asked anyone for permission. From day one, she has negotiated every deal that was made as Piermont grew. When things went wrong it was her quick thinking and resourcefulness that has made Piermont the billion dollar company that it is today. The company that has just offered to save you and your companies from being swallowed up by Alliance."

I looked at John and quietly asked, "When did we cross the billion mark?"

"Well, I may have been exaggerating just a little," John admitted.

"But not by much," Susan added.

"Well, the value of Piermont isn't the question here," I said, getting the discussion back to the matter at hand. "There is an offer before this group that will enable your various companies to survive the coming price war. The question is, do you want to discuss the details of the offer or reject the offer and take your chances?"

I sat back and watched as the various company owners looked at each other. I would normally get up to leave after a minute, but this time I waited patiently. Several of them were whispering back and forth. After about five minutes the whispering stopped and an older gentleman in the middle of the group spoke.

"It looks like I've been elected to be the spokesman. I think we'd like to hear what you have to offer."

We spent the rest of the hour discussing all of the details. Once we got past the money issues and everyone realized that they would remain in operational control of their plants, the rest of the discussion went rather quickly. Bob, Bill, and Nancy had come back while we were discussing the money issues.

A little after six pm I was forced to call an end to the discussion, so I could get to my next appointment. "Thank you all, if you will please see Mr. Warren and Miss Pollock before you leave, they will schedule a visit by one of our evaluation teams. I apologize for leaving so abruptly, but I have an appointment for a check flight in the plane that has been rented for my use this week,"

"You fly?" someone asked.

Susan giggled, "You would be surprised at what this girl likes to fly around the country."

Shaking my head, I continued, "I look forward to visiting with each of you later in the week. If any of you know of someone who wasn't here this evening, you might want to contact them and recommend that they contact Miss Pollock. I will also ask that none of you discuss this meeting with anyone outside this room. Miss Pollock will be working out of our Portland offices, Mr. DeLuca can provide you with the number. Come on Suz, we've got a plane to catch."

Susan and I hailed a cab to take us to the FBO office, on the ‘private plane’ side, of the Portland Airport. They were a little hesitant to give me the keys that they were holding for the President of Piermont Paper Products.

"Does that happen very often?" Susan asked, as we were walking toward the Ameri-Moore hangar.

"It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen occasionally. After all, how many 17 year old company presidents are running around?"

"You've got a point there. Maybe you should carry something that identifies you as the president of Piermont Paper."

"I always have my driver’s license and my pilot’s license. We also have our passports, although, I seldom carry mine with me. Speaking of my pilot’s license, have you considered getting yours?"

"I've been seriously thinking about it, ever since you got yours. That way I wouldn't be dependent on someone else to get me from one inspection site to another. I don't think I need a plane as big as - - Oh my stars, is that it?" Susan stopped and was staring ahead.

I turned in the direction that Susan was staring and realized what had caught her eye.

"Yes. That's my Gulfstream."

"He did a great job, it looks just like one of your notebooks," Susan said, as we started walking again.

"Blame that on our fleet manager, Victor Roskelley. He's in charge of painting, registration, insurance, and so forth, for all of Piermont's vehicles."

"I like it. It's kind of cool."

"You think it’s cool?"

"Yeah, I do. I definitely makes your plane as unique as you are."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Well, you're a one of a kind, being a corporate president at 17, I'm sure that paint job makes your plane a one of a kind."

"I hadn't thought of it that way. Maybe we'll keep the paint job."

"I would, if it was me. So where is the plane you're flying around in, this week?"

"It's just on the other side of flower power one." I replied as we walked under the tail of the G1.

"Oh, that's cute."

KingAirB90_5_S.jpg

"It is, isn't it? I've never paid attention to what different manufactures are making, because I was looking for a corporate size plane. Although, I kind of like the looks of this Beechcraft King Air," I replied, as we circled the plane.

We finished our exterior tour at the door, on the port side. Unlocking and pulling the release lever, I lowered the door, with the attached stairs and allowed Susan to enter first.

"WOW, this is really nice," Susan exclaimed, as I entered the aircraft.

"You're right Suz. This is almost as nice as Grandma's jet," I added.

KingAirB90_4_S.jpg

"I tell you what sis, you get me one of these, and I’ll get my license before we go back to school."

"What do you mean, if I get you one of these?" I asked.

"Well, I'm traveling all over the country doing the inspections, and you're the VP of Examinations and Surveys. So as my boss, don't you think I deserve a bonus?"

"Is that the best you can do, at trying to butter up the boss?" I asked, with a giggle.

Just then, we heard a vehicle pull up alongside. Looking out the open doorway, we saw a large gentleman, getting out of a black Chevy Suburban.

"Hello," I greeted as I stepped down from the aircraft, with Susan right behind me.

"Good evening, ladies. I'm Cliff Davidson, I'm a flight instructor with Portland Air Service. I was asked to accompany the president of Piermont Paper Products on a check flight. Is he in the plane?"

"Here we go again," Susan said, sarcastically.

"I'm sorry, is there a problem?" Mr. Davidson asked.

"No, there's no problem," I replied. "It's just that the President of Piermont Paper isn't a he, he's a she."

"I don't understand." Mr. Davidson looked confused.

"Mr. Davidson," Susan began. "Allow me to introduce Miss Darla Anne Drake, President of Piermont Paper Products, a division of Ameri-Moore."

"You're the president and you know how to fly?" he asked, pointing at me.

I nodded, in response to his first question. To answer his second question, I produced my pilots license.

"Darla Anne Drake," he read. "Rating - land - multi engine. You're certified in multi engine, what do you usually fly?"

Susan giggled and pointed towards Flower Power One, on the others side of the King Air.

Mr. Davidson looked where Susan was pointing, cocked his head to the right, and while wearing a cockeyed grin asked, "What is it?"

"That's the Gulfstream I purchased last fall. Our fleet manager thought it needed - um, character," I explained.

"Is that what you call it, character? Well, whatever makes you happy I guess. So, if you own that, why are you renting this King Air?"

"We have fifteen plants scattered across five states, here in the Northwest. I'll be visiting each of them during the next two weeks. The G1 is needed elsewhere so, unless I want to drive everywhere, I need another plane to get around in."

"Fair enough. Shall we get started?"

Susan and I boarded the King Air followed by Mr. Davidson. Susan selected a plush seat in the main cabin while I went into the cockpit and sat in the left seat. Mr. Davidson followed me and sat in the right seat.

We went over the instrument locations because they were different than I was accustomed to. Then we went over the pre-flight checklist. Exiting the aircraft once more, Mr. Davidson and I started through the checklist with the exterior items. After once again boarding the aircraft, I closed and latched the door. Upon completion of the checklist, I started the engines and let them warm up, for a few minutes.

After taking off, Mr. Davidson gave me directions and we flew to a small airport outside of Silverton Oregon. Once in the pattern, I shot four touch and go’s. I had just lifted off, for the last time, when Mr. Davidson told me I was a competent pilot and he asked if he could take the controls. There was something about the way he said that, ‘I was a competent pilot’ that didn't feel like it was a compliment, but I let him take the controls.

Mr. Davidson brought the plane around for another touch and go, but he didn't reduce speed or lower the landing gear. He dove at the runaway like an Air Force pilot attacking a ship, at sea. With the landing gear up, he shot along the length of the runway at twenty feet doing two hundred miles per hour. At the end of the runway, he pushed the throttles to the limits and pulled back on the yoke.

As mother earth quickly disappeared from view, I looked over at Mr. Davidson, commenting, "Nice."

Susan wasn't so impressed, she called out, "Darla Anne, what on earth are you doing?"

"It's not me, Suz," I called back. "Mr. Davidson is showing me what this plane can do."

"Well, when he's finished showing off, can we go back and get my stomach?"

Laughing, I replied, "No problem, Suz."

Mr. Davidson took us out over the Pacific, as he put the plane through its paces. I had never seen a plane do some of the things he did, and made comment to that effect. Mr. Davidson informed me that the aerobatics he performed were mild compared to the performances by other pilot's at the, yearly, Reno Air Races. After setting a heading that would take us back to the Portland airport, he returned control of the aircraft to me.

We landed safely in Portland and pulled up next to the G1, almost exactly where we started from. Fortunately, we didn't have to return to Silverton to retrieve Susan's stomach. We found it in the rear of the plane hiding under a blanket, which was a good thing, because we were having dinner that evening with Grandma. Mr. Davidson graciously gave us a ride to the FBO office, where we were able to call a cab.

The ride to Mr. Fevrier's restaurant, was about twenty minutes, where we've eaten many times. We were surprised to see him filling in for the Maitre’ De Maison.

"Miss Darla, Miss Susan, it's so good to see both of you again," Mr. Fevrier greeted us. "I haven't seen you for so long, I was afraid you were no longer happy with my humble establishment."

"Oh, not at all, Monsignor Fevrier," I assured him. "I come here at least once, every time I'm in Portland. I've just been so busy elsewhere, that I haven't been in Portland for several years."

"Of course, I am only kidding, Miss Darla. Shall I prepare your usual table?"

Both Susan and I giggled, remembering when we were seated at the table reserved for special guests. "Not today, Monsignor Fevrier. Today were dinning with Mrs. Moore and her party." Susan informed him.

"Very good," he replied, as he checked his schedule of reservations. "Mrs. Moore has reservation for 8:00. They haven't arrived yet, but you are welcome to wait at the table, if you wish."

"That sounds like a splendid idea," I replied.

Mr. Fevrier escorted us to a table set for six and one at a time pulled out the chairs to seat Susan and me. Then he snapped his fingers and a waiter appeared to take our drink order.

Susan and I were discussing the requirements for getting her pilots license, when the waiter brought our pot of tea. Shortly after the waiter left, we heard Grandma's voice.

"Hello, my darlings. I'm so glad you could make it." Pausing to give us a hug, she continued with the introductions of Jonathan Roberts and Lee Sherman.

After everyone was seated and had ordered their meals, Jonathan asked, "Mabel, I didn't realize that we were in negotiations for a buyout of my company?"

Grandma and I looked at each other, questioningly. Then we looked at Jonathan, and Grandma asked, "Why Jonathan, whatever gave you that idea?"

"Well, Mabel, the word on the street is, that if you're invited to dinner and 'DD' is present, a buyout is on the horizon."

"Mr. Roberts, I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about a buyout," I started to explain.

"And besides, we haven't operated that way in years," Grandma continued. "Nowadays, I simply send Darla out to perform an on sight inspection and if she thinks it's a good deal, she'll buy the company on the spot."

I looked at Grandma, surprised that she would say something like that.

Surprising me more, Susan's added, "That's my little sister, miss spontaneous."

Seeing the smiles on both their faces, I turned and addressed Mr. Roberts. "It appears that we are both victims of their amusement. By the way, what business are you in?

"I run a modest logging operation. The best trees I sell to your grandmother, she's always paid me top dollar for the best I have. The lesser grade trees go to a paper company."

My interest was instantly piqued. "And, which paper company would that be?"

"Alliance Paper. We ship to several of their plants in Oregon."

"That's interesting. Can you tell me how much Alliance is paying for logs, or do you do the chipping as well?"

"We do the chipping and I guess how much they pay us wouldn't be considered an industrial secret." He then went on to tell us about their operation, along with the price structure they had with Alliance.

During dinner I learned a lot about Mr. Roberts’s operation. I found it interesting that they were getting twenty percent less for their chips, per ton, than Piermont will be paying Ameri-Moore, at cost. I also discovered that they weren't really happy about their dealings with Alliance and the way Alliance keeps forcing the price down.

Over dessert I asked, "Mr. Roberts, are you under contract to Alliance, to provide a specific number of tons per week, or per month? Or do they call and place an order when they want more chips?"

"No, no contract, at least not any more. Ten years ago we had a contract, but when it came time to renew, they said they'd prefer a different arrangement. Today we have, what I guess you would refer to as an understanding. We send five truck loads a week, to each of the plants we've been servicing, and send them a bill monthly. The problem is, every year they complain about needing to cut costs and subsequently reduce the amount they're willing to pay for the chips. They've whittled the price down by one to two percent each year, since the contact expired. If it weren't for Mabel paying so well for top grade oak and maple, I'd have been bankrupt years ago. Some of my friends have gone out of business and Mabel acquired their timberlands fairly cheaply.

"How would you like to make an additional ten percent per ton, for your chips?

Mr. Roberts casually asked, "Why would Ameri-Moore want to buy wood chips?"

Susan piped up, saying, "Mr. Roberts, you really need to get out more."

"Jonathan, Darla is not only my VP of Examination and Surveys, she's also the president of our paper products division, Piermont Paper," Grandma informed him.

Mr. Roberts sat up sharply and grinned. "You mean - we could make an extra ten percent, by selling everything to Ameri-Moore, and not have to deal with Alliance and their tantrums. Where do I sign up?"

"Well, you wouldn't be selling to Ameri-Moore, directly. You'd be dealing strictly with Piermont as far as the wood chips are concerned," I corrected. "We have several plants in the area and I'd very much like to secure an additional supplier, as we ramp up production. If you have a business card, I'll have my VP of Purchasing and Procurement, Tom Harris, get in touch with you."

I received several cards from Mr. Roberts, as we were leaving the restaurant. Of course, we stopped to thank Monsignor Fevrier for the wonderful food and excellent service.

"You setup that meeting, didn't you Grandma?" I asked, once we were in the cab, heading for the Ameri-Moore apartment.

"Yes." she replied, simply.

"So you already knew What Alliance is paying for their chips?"

"No, I just knew that Jonathan sold to them," she admitted. "But, with the information we just acquired, we may want to examine our sales and price structure. It appears, we may be over charging our customers."

"So, it's okay if I buy chips from someone else?"

"If you can get a better price, by all means buy from someone else. It will make your division more profitable. Sometimes, an independent can undercut a large company. As I've said before, you have a real knack for cutting through the chaff and coming up with the prize. I'm eager to see what next June will bring."

"What's happening next June?" Susan asked.

"Just a little surprise," I replied.

"Hopefully a resurrection," Grandma added.

Susan looked at me with a puzzled expression.

We dropped Grandma off, then Susan and I continued to the Embassy Suits for a good night’s sleep.

* * * To Be Continued * * *


Comments are gratefully appreciated, either left below or sent to me at
[email protected]

up
337 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Doing Krystal proud, you are.

Doing Krystal proud, you are.
Excellent revitalisation of the story.

Alince is in

Renee_Heart2's picture

For a fight for sure you don't mess with DD and come out on top as for next June ohhhhh someone at Amari-Morre textile division will NOT be happy as DD will fire him if he doesn't shape up. Susan is in for a crash course in buying companies in this case lumber. DD maybe president of Permount Paper, but she is still vp of inspections. Susan is to I think take over the timber division I think that's what grandma has in mind. I look forward to another exciting tail of DD :)

Love Samantha Renee Heart

It's amazing

just how damned entertaining this nerd stuff can be. But of course a good story teller can almost always ... tell a good story.

BOTH of you are better than good.

T

DD Rides Again

rlarueh007's picture

Thank You Penny It just reads just like Crystal is writing this and I'm totally enjoying it. Thanks again! Richard

Penny, I was overjoyed to

Penny, I was overjoyed to see another chapter about DD arrive today. Your way with Crystal's story is as if she, herself was writing it and I do hope she agrees with how you are doing. The one single thing I wished was in this chapter was a picture of the new airplane DD was renting; along with a photo of "flower power one". Looks like there are still people out there who are not truly familiar with Darla Anne and how she
operates, plus her expertise in the world of financial matters even though she is only 17.
I do worry a bit about the two men from Alliance who were at her meeting; though hopefully they did not hear anything of importance. The fact they were possibly able to get names of all where were there might be a bit of a problem tho.
I see Grandmother finally setting her company up for Darla and her sisters to take full control leading it into the 21st century. Should be quite a ride indeed.

DD's Planes


 
That's a neat idea Janice, I hadn't thought of it before. Of course, I did the research to determine what planes would be available at the time, I just hadn't thought of posting them in the story. Well, there is a Beechcraft B90 proudly displayed here, along with an interior shot. Just for fun, if you jump back to DD Rides Again 3, there's a picture of N234MM. I'm sorry, but I don't have any pictures of Flower Power 1. I have a few good shots of some Gulfstream I that I can add, just nothing with flowers. You'd have to use your imagination.

   
Huggs & Giggles

Penny Reed Cardon

seems that expanding LPs...

seems that expanding LPs into other businesses may prove to be mutually beneficial. Darla brings to the proven mill operations procedures and best supplier pricing which can help the new partner firm on several levels to become more competitive and more profitable. Of course some logging operators will be happy to sell their businesses for a fair market price.

Thanks

Dahlia's picture

As always, I really appreciate this great story. I can't wait for each installment.

Dahlia

DD Rides Again

Penny:
It's so awesome that you have not only taken up Crystal's story but that you are doing it almost as a clone of Crystal. I mean that in the most positive and complimentary way. Thanks again for keeping one of my favorite stories going!

Having recently found this great fan fiction ...

... Congratulations

I now expect to hear that DD contacts all Alliance's woodchip suppliers, and steals them away. Alliance can't sell newsprint if they have no woodchips to make it!