Palarandi Times and Bells

Printer-friendly version

Anmarian times and Bells

grakh on parch full_0.png
 
Anmarian Appendices
Part 9

Times and Timeline


Disclaimer:

This directory is the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story from which this is taken is copyright © 2013 – 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 – 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Times, Bells and Comparisons with Earth times

This section is devoted to making sense of the time on Anmar, by giving comparisons between Earth times and dates, and Anmarian ones. It also shows the bells that are rung, and what time of day, for example, the sixth bell is.

But first, a lot of introductory and informational blurb …

We should thank Erin G (of Wis) for the base of this idea, using colour bands to show time spans.

I took this idea and ran with it, expanding it to the supplied information below. Thanks Erin!

But this site does not allow me to upload Excel sheets, nor does it allow me to develop the idea as any HTML table, since it won't allow any colouring of cells.
Therefore, what I had to do was create a pdf from the original spreadsheet. So I will simply present them all as a pdf for each.

There are a number of facts that should be borne in mind with regard to the information presented:-

1) In episode #23, we learn that the Anmarian day is 1 hour 11 minutes longer than an Earth day. This means that there appear in the charts some strange (at first) times, to Earth eyes, such as 24:13:28 or 13:11:00 pm.

2) Anmarian days are split into 20 Bell Periods, rather than the 24 hours of Earth. This means that one Bell Period is the same as the Earthly 1 hour 15 minutes and 33 seconds, and half a day on Anmar is the equivalent of 12 hours 35 minutes and 30 seconds.

3) Anmarian days start at DAWN, not at midnight as on Earth. Hour countings are reset at dawn and at dusk.

I have chosen 5 charts so that you may gain a feel for every part of the year.

The 5 come about quite simply really:
The shortest and the longest days of the year, the Winter Solstice and the Summer Solstice, are obviously exactly half a year apart. There is a chart for each of these.
Half way between them are the Equinoxes, the Spring (or Vernal) Equinox and the Autumnal Equinox.
One chart suffices to give information for both these days in the year.
The final 2 charts are of days exactly half-way between a Solstice and an Equinox.


The abbreviations used for these charts, in chronological sequence starting at the Winter Solstice, are: Winter Solstice (WS), Late Winter (LW) (which will also be the same as Late Autumn), Equinox (EQ), Spring (SP) (which will also be the same as Late Summer) and Summer Solstice (SS).
This means that a full years cycle would go: WS, LW, EQ, SP, SS, SP, EQ, LW and thus back to the start at the WS.

So these five charts give 8 equally spaced periods throughout the whole year.

Palarand v Earth Times and Bells 01 of 05 WS.pdf (63.60 KB)

Palarand v Earth Times and Bells 02 of 05 LW.pdf (63.32 KB)

Palarand v Earth Times and Bells 03 of 05 EQ.pdf (66.26 KB)

Palarand v Earth Times and Bells 04 of 05 SP.pdf (62.52 KB)

Palarand v Earth Times and Bells 05 of 05 SS.pdf (63.45 KB)



And now, to finish off this reference section, here is a timeline showing the months of the story in the year 1174, which was a 12 month year.
A further timeline for 1175 follows. Please be aware that this is an incomplete year to avoid any chance of spoilers.

This is an attempt to indicate what was happening in all the stories on any particular day.

Contemporaneous timeline up to the end of 1174 stGF.
Contemporaneous timeline up to mid 1175 stGF.

 
 


up
72 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Would take a while to get

Would take a while to get used to this time change if you came from another world, as Garia did, at least I believe it would me. Maybe a good couple of months or so.

Okay....

Aine Sabine's picture

Now, I really need a printer! LOL! I need to print the timelines listed here. That will really help in what I'm getting ready to do. If I ever get my poor puter set up properly. It's new and I have very basic internet. Bah!
Admittedly, I went to the end hoping it would show the day of Garias' return. I was hoping it would show how "long" between JoB #92 and her return would be. Darn, it ends at #92. Bummer!

Aine