Secondhand Life - Part 35

Printer-friendly version

Mikey was quiet and somewhat sullen as we walked outside to wait for our limo. I squeezed him into a close hug.

“I know you think this is the end. It's just the end of your coming out. Your introduction. You made impressions in there. So when you come back in act two, the players will recognize you as one of their own.”

Mikey looked up at me. “Do you really believe that?”

I nodded to him and turned to Dennis, who also nodded.

“I'm family, so I'm biased. ...AND... I'm here only because you let me be your plus one on your contest prize.”

Mikey barked a laugh and shook his head.

“But DENNIS... Dennis owes you nothing. He's not beholden in any way. In fact, he probably has a lot of good reasons to wish you ...WE... weren't here and life with Katherine was going on as usual....”

Dennis shot me a look I could not read. I just plowed forward.

“Dennis. In all honesty... Do you think my cousin Michael will be back in this town... on his own... as a player?” It was a gamble, but I was quite sure of his answer.

He nodded. “No spin. No schmooze. We've spent a lot of time together. You GET it. You will go as far as you want to. ….and pitching 'The Sitter' to that foreign guy? I wouldn't have had the cheek to do it... but you did... and I think it worked... he wants in. You ARE a player.”

Mikey blushed and nodded, bashfully accepting the compliment.

“Yeah. About that....” I interjected.

“....what the hell IS this ….'project'... you pitched him?”

Mikey and Dennis looked at each other. I sensed some embarrassment on both sides.

“Uh.... your cousin had an idea for a Katherine Keller project.... but it was really a YOU project....”

“Until I brainstormed with Dennis....” Mikey cut in. “He helped me fine tune it so that it would actually BE a genuine Katherine Keller project... playing to her strengths.”

“....skirting around her limitations...” Dennis cut in with raised finger.

“Well.... it's a project either of you could do.... and it just... works.....” Mikey smiled bashfully.

Dennis cut in again. I don't know if they planned the pitch this way or they just read each other and knew when to interject, but it was an effective tag-team pitch. “A scientist for a supersecret government agency – think Alan Cummings – is tasked to create a robot assassin ...maybe his boss is an obsessive 'Terminator' fan.... anyway, what he creates is a benign looking android... one that does NOT look like an assassin....”

“...one that looks like YOU.” Mikey beamed.

“one that looks like the girl next door...” Dennis smiled. “Only his narrow minded idiot bosses don't think she looks lethal enough...”

“...idiots...” Mikey nodded.

“SO they kill the project and fire the scientist. ….who cleans out his lab and takes all his stuff... including his prototype android....”

“...which his idiot bosses didn't want...” Mikey cut in with raised finger.

I smiled, noticing that they had lapsed back into their pitch and hadn't yet realized it.

“SO... the scientist is home. Unemployed. Back with his kids. ...did we mention that he's a widower?.... raising his kids as a single dad with a demanding job...”

Dennis cut back in “SO... to handle the household duties he reprograms”

“....additionally programs...” Mikey interrupted. Dennis nodded.

“ADDITIONALY programs... his android assassin as a kind of an....

“Au Pair” Mikey cut in. Dennis nodded.

“Since he designed her with sophisticated A.I. To adapt in the field, she also adapts interacting with the kids and forms a bond."

“A band?' I interrupted.

“No. A bond!” Mikey grimaced. Then he shot Dennis a look, his face brightening “....although... a band does open intriguing possibilities and soundtrack opportunities....”

I clapped my hands twice sharply. “Focus! They form a BOND......”

“So, when a rogue underling pitches the brass a project they WILL greeenlight.... an unimaginative alternative with a Dolph Lundgren – Ivan Drago looking assassin that will raise all sorts of alarm bells and not even get close to their target, the brass enthusiastically embraces the shortsighted vision. The minion realizes that in order to take all the credit, he must eliminate the original at its source. So he sends his macho killbot to take out the scientist and his family.”

“Only the original prototype … let's just call her Katherine-bot.... foils the attempt and the scientist flees... hoping to draw the Dolphbot to his trail... and away from his family. He leaves his – Katherine-bot behind to protect his family”

“Only the original prototype... the Katherine-bot... actually bonds with the family, since the original scientist never designed an off switch for the learning mode. She becomes as possessive and protective of the kids as a real mother.... only with killer robot reflexes.”

“They embark on a quest – kids in tow – to find and neutralize the Dolphbot, rescue dad and expose his minion's evil plan to his bosses.”

Mikey and Dennis were both beaming at me expectantly. I think the first people they sold this pitch to was themselves, and they were liking it more every time they re-pitched it.

I cocked an eyebrow and stared at them for about 30 seconds. They continued beaming. “So it's a comedy?” I said wryly.

“More than you would think!” Dennis replied, unruffled.

“Actually it's kind of got a Honey I Shrunk the Kids family movie feel to it.” Mikey piped it.

“Only it's Honey I left a killer robot to mind the kids while I run for my life from a Terminator...” I deadpanned.

“It really IS a PG rated concept.” Dennis interjected. “Sure, it sounds intense from the pitch, but this isn't dark and ominous. It's more Inspector Gadget/Dexter's Lab type kid friendly sci-fi.”

“A kid friendly robot assassin?” I cocked my head querulously at Dennis.

He made a dismissive gesture with his hand. “Oh, please child.... Cameron already did that in Terminator 2.”

“Katherine has never done a family film before. This could open a new franchise for her.” Mikey added.

I sighed. “It looks like you have your elevator pitch down cold. The idea seems to ….borrow.... from a whole bunch of previously successful films.... but not quite enough from any particular one to get seriously sued over....” I shrugged. “Yeah. I think you have a workable pitch. Someone will probably pick it up. ….Or rip it off.”

Dennis nodded. “THAT's why we designed it as a Katherine Keller vehicle. The idea just doesn't work without Katherine's ….chemistry.”

I had to nod in agreement. She could do this part in her sleep. And the Golden Greek really did seem interested in producing it. I had a strong confidence that this night had payed off for Dennis and my cousin, to whom I owed so much. And to Katherine when she returned to her life, which I hoped I wasn't making too much of a shambles.

***

It was a great relief to get 'home' to Katherine's suite at the hotel.... and to shimmy out of the skimpy outfit. It wasn't just short. It was small. As I peeled it off, I recalled those foam mattresses where this tight, tiny roll expands to full size once the binding shrink wrap is removed. I wondered if part of my ...fuzziness... wasn't just the alcohol but the fact that the top was so tight that I wasn't able to get more than a tiny swallow of air into my lungs at any one time. It felt SO good to stand in my lingerie and just relax... luxuriating in the first deep satisfying breath of the night.

I caught my preposterous reflection in the mirror. Standing in thong and bandeau, still in those ridiculous heels. I chuckled to myself. Armando Ciregna could have sold this shot to the Golden Greek to plaster on his office wall – or bedroom ceiling.

I sat and pried off the steep ankle wrap sandals. I had pretty much lost all sensation after about the first hour. As I massaged my feet and the feeling returned like circulation to an extremity that 'fell asleep' I realized how much I had tortured my poor tootsies. As the nerves reawoke, they signaled their distress loudly and my feet cramped badly, curling up in protest. I continued to patiently knead the muscles until they relaxed into a mere dull throb that spread up my calves and hamstrings.

I grinned at the realization that after an entire evening in these 'cruel shoes'. I would be walking funny for days. Then I blanched slightly at the thought of encountering one of the industry players who had witnessed me and the disheveled Costas emerging from our private tryst in the mens lavatory and trying to explain my ...odd gait.

I wanted to take out a full page ad in the next day's Variety proclaiming “It was just the shoes!” but I knew it was already hopeless. I just needed to keep a low profile until my feet and calves recovered and I could walk normally again. I suddenly felt great empathy for Katherine and wondered how much of her 'bad reputation' was earned and how much was just unfortunate coincidence intersecting with dirty minds.

I was so exhausted, I staggered to the bathroom, sleepwalked through the nightly ritual of removing my makeup, applying the nightly regimen, having a quick pee – fully appreciating the lack of a line, and made my way to the bed like a zombie... collapsing on top of the covers in just my underwear.

I expected to sleep like the dead, so I was surprised when I roused a few hours later. I don't know how long I slept, but it was still dark. And really really quiet. I was restless. I slid out of bed and grabbed a robe. I slid open the glass door to the balcony and drank in the intoxicating aroma of lilac and lavender on the warm breeze. Looking over the city, it seemed like not another soul was awake. I had a sudden impulse and it made me laugh quietly to myself. It was a terrible idea. But somehow it seemed like the sort of thing Katherine would do, and that was all I needed to give myself permission.

I crept quietly through the suite, cringing when my robe would brush against anything that might awaken Dennis or Mikey in their rooms. I slowly opened the door, somehow afraid it would creak. As if something like that would happen in a suite as extravagant as this. I managed to get into the outside corridor without anyone noticing. I glanced in both directions. Of course no one was around. The suite took up a large part of this floor and their were few if any other guests on this level. Still, I was preoccupied with the need for stealth, Maybe the sneaking around made it more ….exciting.

I snuck down the hall and was about to press the button for the lift when I imagined the door opening to a car filled with guests – or worse, papparazzi. I glanced around and spotted the door to the stairwell. I first feared that it was an alarmed fire exit, but it was just an ordinary door to the stairs. I slipped through it and pressed my back against the wall, halting my rapid breathing for a moment to listen for anyone else in the stairwell. All I could hear was my own pounding heart. So I resumed my breathing and crept up the stairs like a cat burglar.

As I had hoped, the roof door was not locked. I pushed on the door bar and stepped outside into the warm night air. The stars twinkled above and the lights of the city below. And although only a smattering of nightlights glowed dimly by the cabana bar, they reflected dreamily off the still water of the closed rooftop pool.

I really don't know what put the idea in my head in the first place. It was so unlike me. Maybe it was more like Katherine. Maybe I really was channeling her. I didn't know or really care. All I knew was how right this felt. I shrugged the robe off, letting it flutter to the ground and wiggled out of the bandeau as I sauntered toward the pool. A slight tug was all it took to coax the thong to gently slip down to my ankles, where I deftly stepped out of it as my toes neared the water's edge.

I drank in the stars, shuddered excitedly as I felt the warm breeze graze my naked body perched at the edge of the pool. I took in a deep, full breath and arrowed into the pool with a quiet 'plurp'.

The water was like bathwater and as exquisite as I could imagine. I popped my head above the surface, noticing the tiny ripples my near-surgical incision left on the water. I took another deep breath and plunged down.

I felt like a mermaid, effortlessly spanning the length of the pool underwater, curling up to the far wall and breaking the surface to grab another exhilarated breath. I let out a joyful little laugh. This was so wrong. Breaking into the closed pool. Grabbing an early morning swim. An early morning naked swim! People would be aghast. Well, at least the hotel and health department would be appalled. Not that there was that much difference between the skimpy swimsuits Katherine routinely wore and the ...birthday suit I chose to wear on this naughty escapade.

I glanced at the horizon, a sudden burst of adrenaline jolted me as I wondered if the sun was about to come up and I would be exposed. No sign of impending dawn. I once again relaxed, breathing slowly and deeply. Preparing to pop back below the surface and make the return circuit.

I took my time, savoring the sensations. I was not at all winded, and I was determined to wring every blissful moment from this leisurely sensuous swim.

By the time I reached the other end, I was about ready to end my languid swim. I relaxed and let my body simply float to the surface, rolling onto my back when I broke the surface and drinking in the fragrant night air. I was dreamily staring up at the stars, eyes unfocused, when I caught something in my peripheral vision.

I spun around quickly to see the two muscular legs standing at the edge of the pool, and my eyes followed them up as my body pressed hard against the pool wall, trying to minimize the exposure of my nakedness.

My eyes took their sweet time following the sturdy legs up to the trim torso, brick wall abs and full muscular chest, standing arms akimbo and staring down at me as I tried to melt into the pool wall.

He was pretty much a silhouette against the night sky. I couldn't make out much, but I could see that he was staring down at me, grinning.

“The pool is closed.” he said. I sensed humour rather than authority in his vaguely familiar voice. “There is no lifeguard on duty, and unattended swimming is not permitted.” as his silhouette pointed to a sign that stated as much.

I just looked up at him, still rather gobsmacked, blinking water out of my eyes. I think I was too stunned to be mortified.

“Fortunately for you, now you are attended.” He grinned and in one swift move, he tore his trunks off as he arched over me and into the water a few feet away.

I was panicked. I was caught red handed. Not to mention red cheeked and red just about everything. I felt the wave of heat wash over my body as I blushed from head to toe. What to do? Get out of the pool and give this guy a show as I ran naked to gather my robe and underthings? ….Or just remain pressed against the wall, exposing no more than my naked backside to the stranger with whom I was now sharing the pool?

While I wavered indecisively, I saw his blurry shadow under the rippling surface swimming toward me. He popped up about a foot away, shook his mop of hair like a wet dog, and grinned.

“Hi.” he said so quietly and in such a tone of voice, I think I forgot to breathe.

Now at eye level and so close I could reach out and touch him, he was no longer a silhouette against the night sky, and I realized why the voice had sounded so familiar.

“Hi.” was all I could choke out in a kind of low, breathy rasp. My mind was racing, but all I could focus on was the pounding of my heart in my ears and the little gasps of my shallow, rapid breaths. I thought, 'this must be what a panic attack feels like'. But then I realized that it wasn't exactly a panic attack. I had no desire to flee. What I really, really wanted ...needed... to do, was to reacquire my ability to form words.

“What... what are you doing here????” I asked, nearly breathless.

“I'm staying here. Nina recommended it. She said I should get the whole 'Hollywood experience', so I trusted her advice.” He shrugged, still grinning like a schoolboy.

“THIS...” I waved my hand gently against the surface sending ripples toward him “....is NOT part of the package.”

He just smiled and... absorbed me... with his eyes. “I consider it ….a surprise bonus.”

He gently reached out his arm and touching my shoulder, slowly spun me around.

“My back is against the wall. Quite literally. What exactly are your intentions sir?” I said as calmly as possible, though it still came out as a near whisper. Damn, I could not catch my breath.

The Golden Greek grinned mischievously, and again reaching out, ran a finger from my belly button up through my sternum to just under my chin. It was so light, almost more of a hover than a touch, and it cut through me like a laser.

I gasped involuntarily and let out a slight shudder. We both laughed nervously as the quiver sent waves of small ripples scattering against the curly black hair on his chest.

“Can I take it that is your answer?” He smiled.

I wanted to say something, but I was coming up dry. My brain was shriveled and my mouth was suddenly very, very dry. I reflexively licked my lips, only to see the fire blossom in his eyes.

Suddenly, an idea flashed through my mind. I locked eyes with his, smiled nervously, took a deep breath and keeping eye contact lowered myself under the water. I had pulled myself down to his waist and it was obvious what he was expecting, but as I was lowering myself down I was also coiling myself against the wall. I sprang off with my legs with all my might, darting right between his spread legs and swimming as hard as I could for the other side.

I'm a pretty good swimmer, and reasonably fast, but Costas was no slouch either, and just before I reached the far wall, I sensed him swim over me and do a small somersault as he positioned himself against end of the pool. I surfaced inches from his grinning face. Oh crap. What now? When in doubt, go for humour.

I placed an arm on each side of his shoulders, trapping him. I gave him a victorious grin. “NOW whose back is against the...”

And suddenly he had lunged forward and pulled me into him as he cradled my head in a deep, passionate kiss. And my brain exploded. Or at least shut down like a crashed computer.

I was speechless and overwhelmed. I noticed my body responding to his embrace, my hands exploring his body as greedily as his were exploring mine. He broke away from my still needy lips and darted up to nibble my earlobe, which sent shivers through me. He brushed the tip of his nose down my jawline as his teeth found their way to my exposed neck as I rolled my head in the other direction as he gently teased with playful nips. My hands reached down and found his ready member. I teased gently with my nails, and cupped it gently with my fingers, trying to do that barely-touch thing he did from my belly button to my throat. It seemed to have the same effect on him that he had on me. He reached a strong hand into my back and pressed me against him. Then he let up with a grin and lowered himself to my breasts, where he licked and nipped and teased me until I lost any remainder of control.

I squeezed him hard with my hand and leaned into his ear. “Take me. Now!” I pleaded in a hoarse whisper. He cradled my bottom with his strong hands and spreading me gently, slid into me.

I whimpered with pleasure at the overpowering sensations. My God. I never imagined anything could feel like this. I was barely coherent, overcome with the sensations.

And suddenly startled by blinding light. What the hell? We were caught!!! Did this pool have lights like a sports stadium? I was jarred from my reverie and threw my arm over my eyes to shield them from the blinding lights.

….of my ….bedroom?

“Jesus Kather... Elsie... are you all right?” Dennis was standing at the foot of the bed staring at me with alarm.

I was still pretty dazed and rather incoherent. I tried to form words, but my brain was busy rebooting. I noticed that I was drenched in sweat and could see from my arms and legs that I was flushed bright pink. Then I glanced down and saw the bunched up pillow jammed tightly between my clenched thighs. I don't think Denis noticed the transition from full flush to deep blush.

“I heard you moaning from the other room! Do you have a fever? Do you think it's food poisoning?” he dashed around to press his hand against my forehead. “My God girl, you're burning up!”

“It's nothing” I was finally able to whisper, still as hoarse as I remembered my voice.

“It's not nothing! Look at you! It was all those A&As wasn't it? I tried to warn Katherine, Absinthe is crazy stuff. But she would just nurse one. What did you have, four?”

I shook my head and sheepishly held up five fingers.

Dennis blanched. “Oh my God. It's wormwood poisoning! We have to get you to the hospital!”

I shook my head and gently removed his hands from me.

“It wasn't the absinthe. It's not shellfish poisoning or anything else. I'm perfectly fine.”

He shot me a scolding look. “You are NOT 'perfectly fine'. I heard you moaning from my room!”

“I'm not ill. It was an eventful night. I guess I just got a little ….overstimulated.” I lowered my eyes with embarrassment, and Dennis followed my eyes down to the still bunched pillow, which I quickly covered with the bedsheet.

“Oh.” he muttered. Then as it sank in, his eyes went wide and he stared at me blushing furiously. “OH!!!”

I nodded guiltily. “Yeah. It wasn't the absinthe. At least not directly. I guess I just had too much to dream.” I tried to force a breezy grin.

“....yeah....” he smiled uncertainly. This moment was obviously as awkward for him too.

“I'm SO sorry I woke you....”

He shrugged. “I'm a light sleeper. It's all good. I'm sorry I woke YOU!” He smiled. Then blushed deeply.

I rolled my eyes. “Oh, God. I'm so thankful you DID! As it is, I already have so much to think about.”

“Think about it later girl. Right now, you need your beauty sleep. Morning comes too soon for the children of the night.” he smiled.

“Oh God!” I had a sudden panic. “You don't think I woke Mikey!???”

Dennis shook his head. “I don't think so. I'll check on him on my way back to my room. I just woke because I'm a light sleeper. And when I thought I heard Katherine moan, I guess I just sprang awake.

'Like the guardian angel you are' I thought to myself as I nodded and smiled. What I actually said TO him was “Thanks. She's lucky to have you. ...we both are.”

He flashed a bashful smile and turned to leave. “Sweet dreams” he whispered as he shut out the light and pulled the door shut behind him.

“God, I hope not!” I called out and I heard his laugh through the door.

up
338 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well, this one was definitely

Well, this one was definitely surrealistic. Why do I get the feeling that eventually, there may just _be_ two KK's, taking turns at various roles.

Hm - maybe KK needs to be on estrogen as well :)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Guilty as charged.

I was having too much fun with the flirty thing at the club. Like a toy I could not stop playing with. :-)

So I used the cop-out that things could only go so far and all actions have consequences in the real world.... but dreams are sometimes just ways for our subconscious to mess with us. ;-)

The subject is FAR from dealt with, but the ....itch has been scratched... for the moment, so we can instead deal with other stuff.

Like how exactly WILL Elsie be able face Dennis in the morning? :-D

Thanks for reading - and for putting up with my indulgent diversions!

K@

dreaming of sex with a guy?

interesting. Not that I would know about those kind of dreams, nope nope

DogSig.png

its a good thing it was a

its a good thing it was a dream, Katherine would have had a hell of a time either explaining that it wasn't her or trying to cool him off without pissing him off, when she met him if they did the project.
of course if it would have been real she would have had something else to explain as he would have found a surprise if he tried to do that to L. C.

Thinking LC is going to

Thinking LC is going to become a rising star in her own right very soon.

Be interesting how

Elsie, unless she can provide a 'resume' won't have one as she has an NDA. On top of that she will inevitably get those Katherine Kellar comparisons but without the personality. Katherine has made her personality work for her in weird ways apparently or she somehow talked her way into making the job or situation into something that would suit her.

Maybe Mikie will work as her agent and somehow get her gigs but, again, there will be those Katherine Kellar comparisons.

True.

The fact that the uncanny resemblance is a plus under the circumstances, but could just as easily be a hindrance - or a danger - under others (like L.C's old life where he was completely oblivious to the resemblance but no one else seemed to be) is something yet to be dealt with.

But it IS on my 'to-do' list.... ;-)

K@

Mahoromatic

TheCropredyKid's picture

The Earth has just thwarted one of those pesky alien invasions, thanks to the actions of the superpowered combat android Mahoro. As a reward, she is given the freedom to live the rest of her operational life (just over a year) however she chooses. Mahoro chooses to spend her days serving Suguru Misato, as a maid.

{from TVTropes.org}

 
 
 
x