Gaby Book 12 Chapter *21* Celebrations

Printer-friendly version
book12.1coverfronts.jpg

 
 
*Chapter 21*

Celebrations

 
 
"Bond!"

Damn, we've been spotted.

Dad gave a wave and we angled across the road to where I could just see the others between the greenery that surrounds the on street element of the restaurant. I thought this was a daft idea when Dad suggested it; I’m convinced of it now.

"No Drew?" Caro queried coming out to meet us.

"Wasn’t feeling on top form," Dad supplied, "I found this young lady to fill in though."

"You okay, Drew?" Caro asked, "You do look a bit green."

"Gaby, the name’s Gaby, please?"

"Dave?"

"As the girl says."

Girl, after this evening it'll be a fait accompli or whatever the Froggies call it.

"Come on then, let’s get this over with." Caro suggested leading the way into the enclave.
 
 

"Where’s Drew?" Mr Brailsford asked.

"Not feeling so good." Dad offered.

"Looked okay when ah left, like." Josh mentioned.

"I’ve brought someone to fill in for him, Gaby," he motioned me forward from where I was hovering behind him and Caro, "Gaby, don't be shy."

Shy! Mortified more like, I’ve spent the last few weeks pumping the macho button for it all to collapse at the last hurdle.

"Um hi," I supplied with a little finger wave.

"It’s the girl from the posters,” Jamie announced.

"What a fox," Daz added.

"Gaby?" Mand queried.

Josh just rolled his eyes and Claire, the only other one really in on things just goldfished.

"Sit here, sit here!" Geth enthused.

"I think our guest might be more comfortable with the girls?" Steve prompted.

"Oh man," Daz moaned.

Personally escape back to the hotel was my favourite option but Dad had my escape route covered. One of the waiters was already re-arranging chairs and tables so that in short order there was a seat next to Laura ready for me.

"Come on, Gaby, sit yourself down." Sal prompted.

"Er sure."

The girls had certainly made an effort, posh frocks, slap and bling, but by comparison I felt somewhat overdressed. Given my limited wardrobe options I now had to cope with wearing the dirndl that I was gifted yesterday - a bit much really but dressy in a sort of Swiss way and offering no doubt that the wearer was of the er fairer sex. Drew was nowhere to be seen, would he ever be again after this?
 
 

“So, Gaby, what’s it like being a model?” Laura asked once I’d got my outfit under control in a seated position.

“Model?”

“For like the race poster and stuff?”

“Oh right, I’m hardly a real model.”

“Looked real enough yesterday.” Mand opined.

“Yesterday?” Sal queried.

“Yeah I was talking to Roni earlier, she said she saw Gaby doing some sort of photo shoot at the top of that mountain above Interlaken.”

Mand, you stirrer. I gave her the evil eye.

“Wow,” Laura allowed, “that’s well cool, so how do you know Mr Bond?”

“Didn’t you meet at the team signing on thing?” Mand suggested.

What’s she playing at? Claire hasn’t said a word either.

“Um.”

“Leave the poor girl alone, she probably doesn’t understand much English right, Gaby?” Sal suggested.

What the hell is going on?

 
 
“Everyone!” Dave called for our attention; “Now we’re all here we can get on. I’ll keep the speech as short as possible, so firstly, congratulations, that’s not just aimed at those of you going home with trophies but to everyone. If some one had told me six weeks ago that I’d be stood here making this speech after this result I’d not have believed them – that’s not meant as a slight to you guys but from where we started it was always going to be a big ask.

It’s not gone unnoticed that our European based and experienced riders have been the more successful this week and we are hoping that going forward we can give all of you at least some time in the European pelotons next year. Next weekend you’ll all be competing in Denmark, on the world stage, many of those you’ve been up against this week will be there but also some highly rated riders from across the Atlantic, Asia and the Antipodes. We have had some success on the World stage with our junior riders, I, we think you lot are the strongest squad we’ve ever taken at junior level. All we ask is that you do your best in Roskilde, take the lessons of the last few weeks and silence some of the detractors back home.

I’d also like to thank the backroom team, our spanners Mike & Darren, Jemma who must have sore arms by now, Dave for giving his valuable time and of course your mentors, Steve and Caroline, I think some appreciation is due?”

Most of us got the hint and soon we were all clapping the ‘team’.

“That’s it for me, time to celebrate, raise your glasses please.”

While Mr. B was talking the serving team had distributed glasses of bubbly that we now eagerly raised.

“To success!”

“Success!” we replied before putting sparkly stuff down our gullets.

“Enjoy yourselves but remember that we’ll be leaving fairly early in the morning.”

Geez, always a downer.
 
 

It was a bit surreal, there I was doing a reasonable rendition of Gaby with a bunch of people who for the most part only know Drew and I’m being treated like a visitor. To be fair, those in the know haven’t exposed me, on the contrary Josh, Claire and Mand have if anything been promoting the whole ‘where’s Drew?’ scenario. I guess it’s true, the whole duck thing; the guys spent the evening lusting (yeuk!), the girls talking girl talk – maybe it’s not the end of Drew.

Of course I’ve over simplified the discussions, the big topic wasn't me (phew), the race, boys or female hygiene, no it was the placement scheme that Mr Brailsford had announced.

"So what happens about school?" Claire queried.

"Well duh, they do have schools this side of the Channel." Sal mentioned.

"I know you don't ride or anything but what do you think Gaby?" Laura put to me.

She really hasn't spotted me as Drew has she?

"I think it’s a good opportunity for everyone, learn the language, travel." I offered.

"Languages, yeah." Claire lamented.

"No disrespect, Gaby but like foreigners are always good at languages, I bet you know loads." Laura suggested.

"Er not really," I shrugged, "German and a bit of French and Italian."

"And English," Manda pointed out.

"Which is as good as ours and we are English." Sal noted.

So am I!

"I wonder where we'll end up?" Laura mused.
"France probably." Mand proposed.

“Or like Holland? You can get Ender’s there according to my Nana.” Claire offered.

“And that’s good because?” Laura put in.

“Was just saying.”

“Gaby must think we‘re crackers,” Sal observed, “I bet they don’t have Corrie or anything here.”

Geez – here they are on the cusp of their cycling careers and all they can think of is whether they’ll be able to watch the flippin’ soaps.

“Do you watch much telly, Gaby?” Mand asked.

“MTV sometimes but I don’t get much time to spare with school and work you know.”

“I wonder if we’ll have to get jobs? Everyone over here works.”

“Shouldn’t think so, Lor.” Sally stated, “How’d we do training and stuff if we’re working?”
 
 

The sun was casting long shadows down the street by the time the festivities ended.

“Nice to meet you,” Laura mentioned giving me a hug.

“Yeah,” Sal agreed, “it’s been bikes this and bikes that for weeks so talking with someone who doesn’t ride and’s famous was a relief.

I saw Mand roll her eyes at that.

“You ready, Gaby?” Dad enquired.

“Er sure, bye everyone.”

“Laters.” Mand stated.

“Bye, Gaby.”

There was a chorus of other farewells as I followed Dad out of the restaurant’s enclave.

 
 
“Well that was weird.”

“What’s that, luv?” Dad absently asked.

“Tonight, I mean, no one even blinked at me being there.”

“Well Dave was a bit surprised.”

“Yeah I guess it’s a bit of a shock to see the lad who won today turn up in a frock tonight.” I observed.

We headed to where the Mercedes was parked; the others were walking back to the hotel so with luck I’d have a few minutes to return to Drew before they arrived.

 
 
“You missed a cracking meal like.” Josh supplied when I met the returning feasters three quarters of an hour later.

“Well you know.”

“You might want to lose the earrings bud.” He whispered as he passed.

Shite! Good job the others were a bit behind. I quickly slipped the offending jewellery from their holes and slipped them into a pocket.

“Thanks, mate.”

“Whatever.” He seemed a bit non-plussed.

“Heya, Drew, you feeling better?” Laura enquired.

“Er yeah thanks, dicky tummy, must be the heat.”

“You won’t want this then.” Mark stated as he waved a bag at me.

“Dunno, what is it Speedy?”

“Just give it to him Mark.” Geth suggested.

“Couldn’t have you missing out on all the fun so we brought you some cake.” Cav told me as he dropped the bag into my hands.

“Hey, you never guess who we met tonight.” Jamie put in, “Only that girl off the posters!”

“Gaby, her names’, Gaby.” Sal stated.

You don’t say.

Maddy Bell © 06.03.2014

up
315 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

rofl

Dawnfyre's picture

Gaby's team mates are a wee bit thick between the ears, I know they were told bout the Drew -> Gaby bit earlier in the training and they STILL didn't figure it out?

ROFL


Stupidity is a capital offense. A summary not indictable.

Stupid is terminal. And you

Granny Lee's picture

Stupid is terminal. And you can't even fix it with duct tape

May the Peace and Happiness of The Goddess keep and protect you
Granny Lee

Were they though?

As I remember it, they were only told that Drew has a medical condition and that it is causing him to grow breasts. Not anything more than that. I don't think they were, those who haven't learned the whole story some other way, told that he is for all purposes really female in the plumbing with just vestigial appendages that look like a penis and scrotum. Only a few have discovered Gaby or knew about Gaby beforehand. Josh knew from before, Mand and Claire discovered Gaby during one of the many miss-adventures.

Abigail Drew.

Everything's better with cake

Everything's better with cake.

Just remember - people see what they expect to see. Very few people look at everything as if it were new.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Aww,

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

I bet she looked really cute.
Gee, no one is catching on?
lol

>i< ..:::

The oldest trick in the book,

The oldest trick in the book, hide in plain sight. If you wind up in public wearing a very special dress that everyone has seen you in on posters or possibly even TV, they generally will not even think you are the same person they already know. Clothes, hair and makeup can make a person look so much different. Makeup itself, can make one look younger or older, sometimes by 10-15 years older depending on how and who applies it to you.

A giggle

Podracer's picture

of a chapter. Gaby might even have enjoyed it. I do wonder if Gaby has a different voice to Drew.

"Reach for the sun."

Gabby / Drew

I don't think even the commenters are getting it.

I think its drew might be tho. Being a boy isn't just riding bikes or talking just about things you do
Get a group of teenage boys together. And left alone , the topics will the sport they just competed in, followed by one of the bigger ones, being on that side of Atlantic being soccer. Then girls, then, etc.
The USA version the big 3 sport in season, girls,cars,girls, then any thing else. Bicycling would rank pretty low even if you participated.
The girls would be whom wore what right or wrong, these girls, would talk about bicling ,other wise the euros/brittish prob consider bicycling as means to get from point a to b., then the ranks, would be about fashion, which celebrity was hot at time , specially boys, then boys in general disected down piece by piece,followed by what couple looked best together and often comparing themselves to that female,then their soaps again dissecting relationships not necessarily sex unlike the boys would often SKIP this part completely, to what she looks like undressed. Sex to teen boys isn't foreplay to their mind set. Where relationship/foreplay is everything in girl talk. I've been around females enough in groups. Even in sport, they may discuss topic for abit ,they spend more time discussing a lippy color or nailpolish color far more than any sport. Even if they compete in one. Thats where boys and girls split apart.
Society doesn't allow males to put feelings out in open they allow women, so sports and cars,followed by gaming fills that void.

Put a group of boys together. And one for girls. Take each group to a movie , practically any movie that's popular ------ then have a discussion by each group and I can practically guarantee ~~~ you'd swear they went to different movies. ROFL

What this has got to do with drew ????

Easy outside bicycling or inside it, the past 11 books has him mingling with girls in one way or another ...
Boys are acquaintances. He's got a couple close male friends outside bicycling , but 90% with girls.
Drew is drew, but he seems to end up at seating situations with the girls, not the boys
I mean given independent movement he gravitates towards the girls table, not boys ~~~ so if he looks asimular to a girl in any way the outsider at worst thinks he's a tomboy late bloomer ...
Since he's so adopted by the Collective of girls and accepted by osmosis. He's gonna sooner or later adopt mannerisms of that collective, oh that the test manniquin for this or that +just for fun doll to dress up. It started as joke maybe, but since drew didn't put up much fight, the collective now wants the singular conforming to group conscientious.

I got in a discussion with a bunch of crossdressers and early preop TS once.
Gave the choice of two tables to walk to and join in at.
(They are dressed enfemme)
Almost all would would head to the CD/ts table or look for place as outsider to sit.
Me--- I was astounded. Even if I stayed mute, I'm gonna head to GG table. Knowledge is every thing ... Acceptance is key ... Get in good with a collective and you're more secure/safe than with a detatchment of oversized marines guarding you.
No boy will bother you. Not more than once ... His GF will see to that ... Even single males know upsetting the collective even a small one will cut his chances of dating anyone to zilch.
Besides what is the biggest grievance of most transitioning TS ... Not having that childhood of practilal learning.
Males in general rarely bond minus a specialized something or sports ... Its discouraged.

Double date some time ... The two females may have never met ever, the males may have been friends but kindergarten .... By time that night is over ... You got a hen fight or both know every thing about each other but both male dates. Even if you've never said one thing about your past

Slow

If this is an example of the brainpower Team GB normally musters as riders it's no wonder they are the also-rans of bicycling.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Keeping up appearances

Jamie Lee's picture

Yep, what else could Drew wear but the dress worn on the last photo shoot, given to Drew simply because it wouldn't be used again.

Every single time they've gone out to eat, where dressing up a bit is preferable, Drew has only packed his Chinos and a t-shirt. Even though they've needed to dress up more than once. Why doesn't Drew ever remember to pack good clothes along with his Chinos and t-shirt? Why does he forget good clothes are often needed? Why haven't Dave and Jenny taken Drew to a specialist to determine why Drew has trouble concentrating and remembering what needs remembering.

And the result of packing only Chinos and a t-shirt? Every time? Gaby makes an appearance in her dress or borrowed dresses. Every single time. And every single time, Drew feels like a right git. But s/he brings it on herself.

Those on the team in the know, did their best to almost hint that Drew and Gaby are one and the same. Those questions they asked really put Gaby on the spot, or they tried putting her on the spot.

Just how aware are the boys on team GB? When Drew is asked questions, s/he often prefaces her answer with 'er'. When Gaby is asked questions, s/he prefces her answers with 'er'. Even their mannerisms answering questions is the same. So are the boys blind, they don't act blind when they see Gaby, but they don't see what's right in front of them.

Others have feelings too.