Rules Are Rules: 45. Blessed Yvette

Printer-friendly version

"That's your new high school: Blessed Yvette High School for Girls. I've told you the name before."

"I don't think so," I said. "I'd remember a whacked-out name like that."

She gave me a funny look.

Rules Are Rules

45. Blessed Yvette

 


Part 45
 

As soon as we were out of Sacramento and back on the highway, Mom said she had something to tell me. "I don't want to spoil your day," she said, "and I'm sure you're going to take this as bad news, but — after all — there is no good time to tell you."

"What?"

In a quiet voice, she dropped the bomb: "You're going to have to come to New Jersey soon."

I tensed up. "How soon?"

"You get out early on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. We'll leave right after. That way, we can have Thanksgiving as a family, and you start your new school on the Monday. This way you'll meet some of the other girls and hopefully make some friends before Christmas vacation."

"Thanksgiving? Oh, wait a minute — the other girls?"

"Yes, we want to send you to Blessed Yvette."

Huh? "Mom, who is 'Blessed Yvette'?"

"That's your new high school: Blessed Yvette High School for Girls. Yvette was a saint, or almost a saint. I don't know how they work it out. Don't act so surprised. I've told you the name before."

"I don't think so," I said. "I'd remember a whacked-out name like that."

She gave me a funny look.

I went on. "And don't *I* get any say in all of this? What if I want to stay until the end of the semester? What if I want to go to the public high school? Is there something wrong with the public school there? I mean, I never wanted to move anyway. Especially to New Jersey!"

Mom let out a big sigh. I looked out my window, and saw her face reflected in the glass. She glanced at me, again with that look I couldn't read. I remembered what Mr. Marks said about putting myself in her place. I tried to imagine what she was feeling, but drew a blank. So I asked her.

"Mom, what are you feeling right now?"

She laughed. "Who are you, Dr. Phil?"

"What I mean is, I know what it's like to be me, but I don't know what it's like to be you. Is it hard, being my mother?"

"Oh, honey," she said. "I wouldn't want to be anyone else's mother. You're my baby!"

I rolled my eyes and said, "Yeah, but that's not what I mean. Is it such a big deal to let me stay to the end of the semester? And why do you want me to go to a girls school?"

"Fair enough," she said. "Let me take one question at a time. Let's see: what is it like to be your mother? Oh, it's a little stressful, being the mother of a quote-unquote action hero. It scares me. When that little girl got kidnapped, well..." she choked up for a moment.

"I'm proud and amazed at what you did, but I can't help but think that you easily could have died, or at least been badly hurt. You could have ended up being kidnapped yourself! I know you didn't, but you could have. The eternal question with you is what's going to happen next?"

"I know," I said.

"At the same time, I think... I know... you're trying to keep a low profile." She laughed in spite of herself and was silent for a while. Then she continued.

"You asked about staying until the end of the semester. Your poor father is all alone in New Jersey. And I just feel like a visitor here. Your aunt has been very generous in sharing her home, but we're driving her up the wall. Maybe you don't notice, but she wants to get her house back to herself. Plus, there is so much happening with our new house... the inspection, the mortgage... it's hard to manage it, long distance.

"I want us all to be together. For many reasons. We're a family — that's the big one — but I'd like my husband to hold me when you have your next adventure."

"Oh, mom," I sighed. "I don't think I'm having any more adventures. That last one did it for me."

"Like I said before," she continued, returning to my questions (which I'd forgotten!), "it's better for you to switch mid-semester. That way you get to make some friends. If you change schools during vacation, it's harder to meet people. Although meeting people and making friends doesn't seem to be a problem for you any more."

"Did it used to be?" I asked.

"It sure looked that way," she replied. "Now, what else did you ask me? Oh, the public high school... right. Where we are now, there is a public school, but it's not very good. You'd be better off staying in bed than going to that school there. Our *new* house is in a district with a very good public school, so once we move, you can go there, unless you like going to Blessed Yvette's."

"Blessed Yvette," I repeated scornfully.

"Maybe you should look her up on the internet and found out who she was," Mom gently suggested. "The school has a website, too, I think. Anyway, Blessed Yvette's was very accomodating about everything."

I frowned. "Does that mean they know I'm not, uh —" I had a hard time saying it, "not really a boy? I mean, not really a girl?"

"No," she replied, "and that has to be our little secret." She bit her lip. "You asked me what it's like to be your mother. Well. It's hard when I talk to my friends, and they ask me about Mark and how he's doing. I have to be careful what I say. You've been in the newspapers a couple of times already, and I don't want to connect what you did with Mark. Do you know what I mean?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"We haven't talked to any of our relatives for a while," she said. "I don't know what we're going to put on our Christmas card this year. And we're running out of time on that one." She shook her head.

I had to puzzle over that for a while before I knew what she was talking about.

"And your father..." she drew a breath. "It's lucky that we're moving to a new town, where nobody knows us. But your father, when he started his job, of course one of the first things he did was hang up a photo of the three of us in his office. Everybody knows he has a son Mark. They ask about you."

"But they don't know me."

"It's called being polite, Marcie. People ask about family, to show interest. So, where did this Marcie come from? Who is she? And what happened to Mark? Eventually someone will put it together, but what is your father supposed to do? When they say, Hey, Art? How's your son Mark doing? what does he say? Oh, it's the darndest thing. He's a girl now. How about that."

"Oh," I said in a small voice. I hadn't thought about that.

"Yeah, 'oh'. And the potential legal problems, if someone realizes you're a boy... So, when you ask me whether you have any say in what's happening... I think you've already had your say in a big way. Your father and I are doing our best to cope with the repercussions of your little experiment in dress-up."

She concentrated on the road for a while. Then she said, "Let's see. I think there was one more question. Oh, right: girls school. You know I'm uncomfortable with you dating boys."

"You don't want me to date girls, do you?"

She shot me a look that just about scorched me.

"Sorry, Mom!"

"Don't interrupt me," she said. "I know it's going to happen, but I'd like to slow it down as much as possible. That's part of it. Also, like I said, you can't go to the good public school until we move. Plus, you need to be around girls so you know how to be a girl. You're okay at it now, but there are some rough edges that need to come off, and being with other girls will help with that. AND, you might find that you like it."

"But we're not even Catholic, Mom!"

"That's okay. It turns out that a lot of the girls who go there aren't. They just want a good, affordable private education."

"And since you mention dating girls–"

"I was only kidding!" I cried, surprised to find myself blushing.

"I don't want you getting involved with girls, either. Your life is complicated enough already."

I could feel my entire face glowing red. Seemed like a good time to change the subject. "Oh!" I said, remembering, "What did you mean when you said the school was accommodating? What was there to be accommodating about?"

"Popping you in near the end of the semester, for one. They're also going to let you take gym class at the end of the day so you can shower at home."

"How did you swing that?" I asked.

"We told them you have an embarrassing skin condition," she grinned. I was shocked. "We offered to bring a doctor's note, but they didn't care. We were just bluffing, though. I don't know what we would have done if they needed one. You have to to take gym with the seniors instead of your own class."

"How am I going to explain that?" I asked.

"You don't have to explain it," she said. "Say that you didn't make your schedule, and you don't know why it's that way."

"Wow, Mom," I said, "I didn't know you were so clever."

"You had to get it from somewhere, didn't you?" she quipped.

up
202 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm impressed. As usual,

I'm impressed. As usual, you make everything so logical.

Thanks for starting my day right!

Trying to Figure Out...

...what the odds are that Marcie doesn't get to New Jersey, let alone the new school, by Thanksgiving.

About even money?

Eric

Convent Girls…

…here in the UK tend to be far more outrageous than girls that go to NORMAL schools. I think it is something about the presence of nuns. My step-sister went to a convent as a boarder, and got gaught several times snogging a boy from a nearby boys' boarding school—once she got caught in a hay-field and they were kissing and fondling one another, as one does, when into Kate's eyeline came a pair of black Oxfords ans a few inches above them was the hem of a black habit! It was Sister Helen Katharine, known among the girls as Sister Hell-Cat! Poor Kate was gated for the rest of the term (semester). She was not even allowed to be taken out to tea by our parents, and any thought of shopping was definitely out.

So Mrs Donner thinks Marcie will be safe at The Blessed Yvette's. No Way! Knowing Marcie, I reckon she'll have a ball and so will her fellow pupils!

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Saint Marcie?

Somehow, I don't think Marcie will be going to that ALL GIRL SCHOOL. She will be getting into trouble again all too soon knowing how much of a trouble magnet she is.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

rules are rules #45

wow girls school and that will be something new and wate in see aunt we got truble and she had fun fun fun tell dady sent her to that school.
have a good one and please go on with some more as it relly starting toheat up a bit
[email protected]

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

I'm betting (and hoping) Marcie doesn't ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... make it to NJ but stays where she is. You have invested, I think, too much time in creating a REALLY good environment including really good friends for mom to just yank her away from them. I would hate to never hear anymore about Nina, Cassie, Eden, Carla, or, of course, Jerry again! Not to mention the supporting cast of wacky adults.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

This is why I love your writing.

I just love the realistic, and genuinely human, emotions in this
chapter. I always love the fun of your stories, Kaleigh, but
this chaper is why I just love you as a writer!

Sarah Lynn

'Two' cookies for you. *-_-*

re: Rules Are Rules: 45

That was a nice chapter. The dialog flowed very naturally between them. There haven't been many extended dialogs in this story thus far, so it's nice to see one.

And I can see lots of potential trouble brewing with Marcie going to an all-girls school without letting them know about her unusual circumstances... especially given her propensity for making waves.

mom gets her wish

"what is it like being my mom" i love marcie. shes so cute, funny and very insightful.

Im sure you can create a good supporting cast of wacky adults and girls at yvettes. There could be many adventures there but, however we and im sure marcie will miss Cassie's Nina Eden and Jerry. but, if that happens i guess its just life.

Wow

I think this is one of my favorite chapters....... a real heart to heart between a mother and daughter......... I would find it very hard to write, but you make it seem sooo efortless. It even seemed longer than your normal chapters.... my eyes were starting to get sore from all the reading ;)

Catholic school from what I've heard can be very adventurous. I can't wait to meet the new cast....... I will miss the old ones but they were leaned on too much for some things...... at a new school she will have to re-establish herself in a new pecking order especially among girls....... that can be quite difficult from what I understand.

looking forward the the rest of the 10, or is it 9 now.

A.A.

Nelson—and still rising! Congrats, Kayleigh

For those poor people who are not cricket enthusiasts I had better explain. Nelson refers to a score in cricket of 111, and it is thought to be unlucky. I'm not sure where it comes from originally—something to do with Admiral Lord Nelson (who was slain at Trafalgar) I believe.

I think this is the first time I've seen 111 votes on any story her on BCTS so many congrats. That is some achievement; proud o' you, girlfriend.

This is the best chapter so far. Such good interaction between mother and daughter, and the dialogue is spot on.

111 Hugs

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

...how to be a girl

"...you need to be around girls so you know how to be a girl". That is just rubbish. Girls come in all different forms. Marcie is getting a good education about being a girl from her girlfriends when they tell her not to read the girly mags because they will rot her brain. It is very evident that Marcie is seen as a girl. She has a boyfriend, girlfriends, and I haven't read one comment from any other students about Marcie acting like a boy. Even the prissy girls at the school are not to be found putting down Marcie. If Mom starts the "you need to act like this to be a girl", Marice needs to straighten her out quickly about what it really means to be a girl.

Oh, the bit about the lost of the testicles helps to illustrate that Marcie is mentally a girl. Marcie would be really upset if she lost her breasts; the testicles are inconsequential to Marcie.

Yes, the loss of testicles

Gwen She is a freshman right? And a prepubescent one at that, or was? So, she is what 15 years old? I have done some reading, and 15 years old is indeed very late for male puberty. So, factually speaking, this implies something genetic is going on here. I pubed off at 9 years old.

I am thinking, that if my family situation had been like Marcies, I may have not been upset at all about the loss of my gonies. While she did very little vocalization about all that, I would think that she would have been fretting about her gender for quite some time. Maybe someone just needs to tell me to get a life and enjoy the story. Giggle.

Anyhow, enough analizing. I love the light hearted spirit of this story. I wish every girl could have such a transition. : )
Gwen Brown

13 -14

... is a high school freshman. Not 15. Most high school boys in MY experience "pubed off" between their freshman and sophomore year

I just recently caught

I just recently caught up with this story and must say... I am certainly hooked. I, for one, look forward to the change of scenery, even though I do like the current setting. *waits patiently for the next installment*
Shannon Johnston>

Samirah M. Johnstone