Slave of the Fae: Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version

I was resting that afternoon cleaning Crier, trying to control the anger that filled me, when a whisp came to the garden. I looked away from the images running over it’s surface that reminded me of home tugging at my soul. “Lead the way,” I said, looking at the light beneath it.

We walked through clouds of green, which slowly hardened, becoming crystals, forming arches and stairs. The green faded away, until they were silvery white. A thousand whisps floated along the facets, each one followed by me, each reflection was a little different. Different clothes, different hair, different emotions, different bodies. I ignored them.

We came to a room, which I remembered from nightmares. The reflections faded away, leaving a single crystal table facing a mirrored wall. I shook as my bones remembered being twisted and molded. My skin crawled at the feeling of invisible hands reshaping my body. A high pitched whimper rose in a throat that felt like it was being crushed once more. Jasper was standing in the center of the room, his white bark like skin had sprouted leaves, his moss hair was more radiant constantly lit by a ray of sunlight. His dark face smiled, revealing wooden teeth. “Ah! My greatest creation you have finally arrived.”

My hand clenched the hilt of Crier. For once I was grateful for the floor length skirt I wore, it hid the tremors in my legs. He didn’t seem to notice, he was too busy looking me over, measuring me with his eyes. “We are having a dinner in two days time, for an envoy from another Steading has arrived. You will be performing for us. I am wondering what we should have you face. The last fighter relied on strength, but that doesn’t suit you at all. I am thinking something in the air. Birds again, a thunderbird has potential. Maybe a dragon.” He frowned. “No for those we’ll need you to fly, or that won’t work at all. I could always make you wings,” he murmured.

Crier was in my hand without my realizing it. The fae looked at me, his eyes widened slightly. “No, I don’t suppose that would be a good idea, it would take far too much time for you to learn how to use them. Do you like dogs?”

I gave a slight nod, Crier still in my hands. I knew he probably had some dogs and would change them into killing machines, but it was a relief to know that he wouldn’t try to mutilate me anymore than he already had, and that I wouldn’t be forced to fight another person. I wasn’t sure what I would do if they tried either of those.

“Very well, I know what you shall face. You may go now.”

The whisp floated purposefully away. I followed it keeping my sword at the ready.

**

The next morning I put on my best dress. It looked like it was made from spider webs and dewdrops. The white strands were almost blinding, while the dew acted as prisms creating a rainbow just above my skin that shifted and changed with every breath. I went to the Courtroom to wait for Paula. Richard was there, waiting for me.

“Good morning, Alex. I have some interesting news for you.”

“I know. We’re having a dinner tomorrow and I’ll be fighting.”

“Yes. Do you know what you’ll be fighting?”

I acted bored. “Dogs.”

He shrugged, and looked a little embarrassed. “I see my news isn’t so useful after all. But I have something else you may want to know.”

My eyes widened slightly, letting him know I was interested.

“The envoy should be of interest to you, and you to him. I’ll let you know why for a favour.”

“What type of favour?”

“One of the other humans is causing me some trouble. Just let him know that if he continues it would make you unhappy,” he told me.

My lip curled. “Who is he.”

“The blue fellow, Omar. I know you don’t talk to him, so this shouldn’t be a problem.”

“You just want me to warn him, nothing else?” I asked, not ready to actually hurt anyone for this man.

“Just a warning.”

I nodded. “Deal. Now what’s up with this envoy?”

The little man pointed at Crier. “He has a sword exactly like yours. He will probably be most interested in learning how you got it, so be ready.” He walked to the door, as I tried to think about what this could mean. “Please deal with Omar before you meet the envoy. The Fae are the definition of unpredictable.”

“What are you doing here Richard?” Paula asked.

“I was merely practicing my courtly manners when I saw your student come in Paula. If you’ll excuse me I won’t waste any of your time,” he said, bowing deeply, almost exaggerated with his long fingers spread wide.

“Thank you, Richard,” she said, her face and voice completely free of emotion. When the little man left Paula turned on me a trace of a smile on her lips. “I see you are appropriately dressed today. Now please repeat what you learned yesterday.”

“Shouldn’t we practice how I’m suppose to greet the envoy when I meet him tomorrow?” I asked,

Paula took a seat on the throne again. “Most of what I taught you yesterday is important to the dinner. And we have all morning tomorrow to practice the special greetings.”

I examined her closely. I didn’t trust her, I knew she would love to watch me fail. But there was so little I could do to strike back, and if I tried to force her to do what I wanted, there would be a fight I wasn’t sure I could win. Worst of all if Calandri came, she would hear Paula’s reason which sounded perfectly reasonable. There wasn’t any other choice she had all the cards. “Fine. When I meet a duke or a dame I must…”

**

Walking along the row of doors, I looked for Omars’ face. It was near the middle, and I was in luck, the eyes were wide open, meaning he was in and awake. He opened it on the fourth knock. He towered over me, not as much as Paula did, but he looked stronger and the dozens of tattoo’s moved across his skin, switching colours, changing shapes, and turning into different patterns and pictures that was disconcerting.

“What can I do for you?” he asked.

“I’d like you to lay off Richard, he says your bothering him.”

A frown came to his face, the tattoos which had been moving aimlessly, seemed to move faster, heading towards his face, heart and arms. “He made a deal with you, I suppose?”

“What of it?”

“Do you know what he’s doing?”

I shrugged, “Don’t know don’t care.”

“No, you don’t do you. Be careful about how much you take from him, he always asks for more than you can afford.”

“I can handle it, and if he tries anything, I have ways to deal with him,” I said, motioning at Crier.

He sneered. “You really don’t have any idea of how things work here do you?”

I wasn’t in the mood to deal with any of this. “Listen, I don’t care what you think. Leave Richard alone, or else. He’s helped me more than you have, so unless you have something I need, I don’t care what you think.” I slammed his door and stalked to my room. I had a lot of training to do with Crier that night and wanted to get started.

**

At breakfast the next morning I was edgy, and the music was almost overpowering in my mind. I tapped out the dirge on Crier even as I ate. Mrs. Jones came over, ignoring the look in my eyes that had everyone else looking away in fear. “Amber, I’m so happy you’ll be performing today. Are you ready? Is that enough for you to eat? It’s very important that you eat properly, you don’t want to be weak in front of everyone.”

“I’m fine,” I said. Her watery eyes became a little more watery. “Thank you. I hope you’ll be watching me.”

“Of course I will, my dear. I’ll be cheering you on, and taking pictures. So I hope you have something pretty chosen. Do you need help getting ready?”

“No, I have everything ready. Just make sure you cheer really loud so I can hear you,” I told her, trying to smile. She’d need to be loud, if she wanted me to hear her over the growling of the monsters I’d be facing. “How have you been? Is everyone being nice to you?”

“Oh yes,” she said, her face lighting up. “Everyone is so kind to me now. I don’t know why, but it’s so nice I’m just going with it.”

Paula walked in looking regal in a ball gown of fallen leaves. It gave even her bony body some small curves, her short blond hair looked like liquid gold. She looked at my own plain blue dress and sneered. Standing up, I patted Mrs. Jones hand, “I have to go talk to Paula.”

She clutched my arm. “Be careful. She is dangerous, and you can’t risk anything on this day. Not today.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll be fine.” Gently taking her hand off of mine, I went to talk to my enemy and teacher. “This morning when do we start my lesson?” I asked.

“You’re lesson, Alex?” she asked. My muscles tightened as she gave me a look of perfect surprise. “Didn’t they tell you yesterday that we aren’t having lessons today. It was a total shock to me of course.”

I knew it, I knew she was going to screw me over. “What about learning how to greet an envoy? What the hell am I suppose to do at this party?”

“I’m sure you’ll figure something out. It’s not that hard if you have any social skills,” she told me with a smirk.

I was going to kill her. My left fist connected with her cheek, my right drew Crier ready to ram him into her gut. Paula should have been able to avoid it easily, but she just stood there and took it, before dodging out of the way of Crier, the blade nearly grazing her skin. For a second I looked at her as a small bruise rose on her white skin. There was cruel glint in her eye, and the smirk became worse. I wasn’t sure what was going through her head. I was about to attack again when I began screeching in agony.

I fell to the ground clutching my wrist, every bone in my right hand seemed to be broken. Through the tears I saw the skin on my hand shrivel and crack, I'd never felt such pain. The muscles twisted, turning my fingers into useless swollen claws. I wasn’t sure when I stopped screaming, all that existed for me was the sight of my useless hand and the flares of pain wracking my body. If I could have I’d have chopped my hand off, anything was better than this agony. Slowly the pain died down a little, enough that I could see and hear what was going on around me again. Still sobbing I tried to catch my breath. Paula knelt beside me, grinning like a cat.

“We had an oath, silly little boy,” she said, barely containing her laughter. “We swore we wouldn’t kill each other, sworn in each others presence with witnesses, in the heart of the fae. Didn’t Sam ever tell you what an oath meant, or was that something he kept to himself? You’ll recover in a few days, once you’ve learned your lesson. Be glad you didn’t actually hit me with your sword, you likely wouldn’t have survived the pain.”

Stumbling to my feet, Paula laughed again as I tried to glare at her. Cradling my hand, there was nothing I could do as she kissed her fingers and touched my tear stained cheek. “I can’t wait to see you at the party today. It will be so delightful watching you fight.”

Mrs. Jones came running up as soon as Paula was gone. I tried not to scream while she looked over my ruined hand. Every tear that fell from her eyes onto my hand burned. “I-I think… I will… need help w-with my costume,” I gasped. Leaning on her, we staggered to the infirmary.

**

The pain wouldn’t stop. We’d tried everything in the infirmary from pain eating slugs, healing salves, poultices for numbing, even ice and yet every time anything touched my cracked skin I wanted to scream as my muscle cramped. Eventually I grew accustomed to it, I could think again. The thinking didn’t make me feel better. I was right handed, I’d trained with Crier using my right hand. I could use a dagger or fan in my left hand, but that was about it.

And my right hand was useless.

Even the thought of holding Crier in my hand sent pulses of pain all along my arm. This was going to make the fight almost impossible to win.

Mrs. Jones was crying as she helped me get ready for the party. I was already wearing a pair of red gloves, I’d nearly passed out when she put it on over my hand, but at least the air wasn’t hurting it now. We chose an elegant read dress that matched my skin, it was easy to move in, allowing me to jump and kick at least. The sleeves were long, tapering off just below my fingers and the cuff was covered in silvery tassels. No one would see my wounded hand at least.

I went to a cabinet that had appeared in my room two days ago. Opening it revealed a large number of elegant weapons. There were daggers, iron fans, knives, a long chain of gold with jewels in each link and razor sharp edges, there were even some swords. I took an iron fan, it was light and I had trained with using fans in both my hands, there was a chance I could use it properly even left handed. It wasn’t much of a chance, but better a slim chance than no chance. The fan I chose wasn’t a folding Asian fan, but a very sturdy and heavy fan stores sometimes give away during the summer. It had an enamel handle, and the fan part was lined in what felt like stone. The surface of the fan wasn’t any type of cloth, I wasn’t actually sure what it was. I could look through the vivid blue background but it felt cold to the touch and as hard as steel. The fiery phoenix in the center flew and changed every time the fan moved, its’ feathers actually gave off heat, but when I felt it, it was like water.

Swinging with my left hand, I realized that this would have to be my weapon. I was going to feel naked without Crier, but what choice did I have?

“Are you sure you can’t cancel your performance, Amber?” Mrs. Jones asked me for the hundredth time. “I’m sure they’ll understand you’ve been injured.”

“No.” I knew Calandri wouldn’t allow it. She’d rather see me die elegantly than have to say I was injured and unable to perform.

“But how can you do anything with your hand like this?”

The dirge became louder. It wasn’t playing for anyone else, once more it was singing to me. “I’ll do what I can.”

The door opened, revealing a whisp. It was time. Grimacing in pain I left Crier on my bed and walked out of the room, firmly believing it would be for the last time.

up
109 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Paula is a wicked

Renee_Heart2's picture

Person I hope to see her fall from the graces of the lady and demoted to a a nothing durge. Paula is trying to get Alix killed she deleperatly canceled the practice for that morning just to see Alix fall. I don't know why she is doing this other than to make her self look good.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

There's a reason

Domoviye's picture

Why Paula is doing it, and it makes sense for her. It's just not a nice reason.
And I haven't written what happens to Paula, it can go so many ways and each one is satisfying.

A third party

So her revenge will likely have to go through a third party or to arrange for Paula to embarrass her mistress, but in a way that will not require her to punish her.

There are several ways, but

Domoviye's picture

There are several ways, but only one is assured of success and it's the strangest one.

Beautiful Violence

terrynaut's picture

I'm not prone to violence but I can appreciate a certain beauty in it. The idea of wearing a dress and fighting with a razor-sharp fan sounds beautiful to me. It's senseless but it can still be beautiful. Does that make sense? It does to me.

I look forward to seeing how Alex makes out. I hope she survives (the story must go on). I expect her to survive physically. I meant her sanity as much as anything else.

Thanks and kudos (number 19).

- Terry

It makes sense

Domoviye's picture

This story is built around senseless yet beautiful things. The fights are just the most obvious.
Although I will say the next chapter is just very very brutal.

Unfair

The oath is really something like a twisted agreement. Now fighting with injury and pain is just not a good news. Maybe she will lose but not dead I hope. Or win by luck with more critical wound. Live or die trying. Goodluck to next chapter.

If you fight fair here

Domoviye's picture

You are giving yourself a severe handicap.
Paula is just doing everything she can to win, Alex has to do the same. they'll be coming at each other from totally different positions, and who wins will simply be the person who's more desperate.

Alex just can't catch break.

Alex just can't catch break. The more she tries the more she just loses. The fae are wicked, I hope there is some way Alex can turn things around in her favor without losing herself to her dark side.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

I don't pussyfoot around with

Domoviye's picture

I don't pussyfoot around with horror, I say make them bleed or write a different story. And with the Fae you can become just as bad as them like Paula or the future Alex or stop playing.
The next few chapters are going to be big and brutal.