A Tale of A Thousand Days and A Promise Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version
konachan-com-68167-amafuki_setsuka-blue_hair-blush-green_eyes-hanafubuki-japanese_clothes.jpg

Washed ashore with no money, no identity and no memory of a life before. Adopted by a kind family only to be plunged into the fires of war. Will the boy, more beautiful than any girl, live a life of happiness or one of sadness?

A Tale of A Thousand Days and A Promise
Chapter 3


By Shinieris

“We’re hoome,” Ayu announced right after opening the front door.

“Welcome home,” Ayu’s mom greeted.

“Mom! Look, look. I caught some fish!” Ayu’s 7 years old little sister Lila said while jumping up and down with the fish-filled basket raised above her head.

“Oh, that sounds like a good catch there. I hope you didn’t give your big brother much trouble?”

“Lila didn’t cause trouble for big sister,” the little girl stated while pouting.

Ayu winced hearing the term ‘big sister’ being said by his little sister. He knew by now he should be getting used to it already, but he still couldn’t understand how preposterous the people of the village were. Although Ayu had soft and long dark blue hair, a beautiful face and very fair skin, traits that only females have in this region, Ayu was actually a boy. Ayu was found washed ashore about 8 years ago and Ayu theorized that where he came from all boys probably had soft dark blue hair, beautiful faces and very fair skin. The family that Ayu came home to adopted him shortly after he was found.

The long hair was actually Ayu’s best friend Mugi’s preference, though. Every time Ayu stated an intention to cut it, Mugi would defend the length with all his might. When they were younger, they even came to blows whenever Ayu stated that he wanted to cut his hair. As they grew up, Ayu stopped being bothered by his hair and just allowed it grow. Now the length of Ayu’s hair had reached below his hips, a length uncommon even among the women of the village.

“Lila has been a great help, mom. I’d like to take Lila fishing again tomorrow.”

“I don’t mind, but Lila needs to learn how to cook as well,” his mom replied.

“Lila doesn’t need to cook. Mom and big sister can cook.”

“Lila, you can’t depend on big sister – I mean, big brother – umm, you can’t depend on your big brother anymore. He’s married now, he’s not just your big sister anymore,” Ayu’s mom explained.

Ayu winced again at the mention of his ‘marriage’. Due to a misunderstanding during his 13th birthday, everyone in the village now thought that Ayu and his best friend Mugi was married, when in fact, both of them were boys. Unfortunately, their actions shortly afterwards, leading up to Mugi’s departure to join the army of Warlord Juc did nothing to dispel the misunderstanding. Truthfully, nobody could even begin to consider that their ‘marriage’ was not real. After all, they did almost ‘consummate’ their wedded life under the apple tree before the eyes of almost every villager on the day of Mugi’s departure.

Thinking about that particular scene under the apple tree made Ayu’s face red. Not only was he ashamed at being seen doing such an intimate thing, he was also ashamed at acting so wanton with another boy, his best friend, even. Ever since then he had wondered if he had some kind of strange tendency towards other boys.

Ayu shrugged off the memory of that time under the apple tree and said to his mom, “Now that you mention it, can you put aside two of the fish we caught today, mom?”

“Are you having dinner with your in-laws today?” his mom asked.

Ayu tried not to be affected by the word ‘in-laws’ as he answered, “Yes, they don’t have any other child apart from Mikke right now, and that boy’s almost useless. He plays around all the time.”

Ayu’s in-laws, the farmer Glen and the baker Helga had four sons. The eldest was Horon, a boy larger than most boys his age. It was followed by Kelk, who was skilled in the use of a bow. Mugi was the third and having been with Ayu for years, was good at many things, such as the use of a bow or a spear and many survival skills, as they spent most of their childhood frolicking like wild children in the forest or at the mountains. The only things that Mugi was bad at, were crafting skills. It was because Mugi was someone who relied on brute force, as he had good muscle strength compared to Ayu, who had good hand-eye coordination and relied on precision. Ayu’s last brother-in-law was the 8 year old Mikke, a good-for-nothing brat with nothing special to his name.

“Big sister won’t have dinner with Lila today?” Lila asked while giving Ayu her signature puppy-dog eyes.

“Sorry, Lila. Let’s have dinner together tomorrow.”

“Okay...” Lila said with drooped shoulders as she put her boots aside to go help her mom with the fish.

******

“I’ll be going, mom,” Ayu said as he put on his self-made leather boots and picked up the basket containing the fish and vegetables his mom prepared.

“Say hello to your in-laws for me and tell Helga thanks for the muffins yesterday,” his mom said.

“Thanks for the muffins!” Lila repeated.

“Alright, I’ll tell them. Lila, be a good girl and help mom, okay?”

“Aye!”

Ayu closed the door and walked in the direction of his in-law’s home with his left hand holding the basket containing the fish and vegetables. In his right hand, he held a coiled length of rope. On his belt was a steel dagger, one he made on his own a few days after Mugi’s departure.

Despite being Mugi’s teacher in smithing, Ayu himself never did any smithing before they had to make a dagger for Mugi. Ayu theorized that he probably received the knowledge on smithing because he watched his real parents doing it. He couldn’t be sure, as he had lost all memory of his life before being washed ashore near the village. However, having the knowledge and actually doing it was two totally different things. Ayu could craft rings and smaller plates of steel easily enough. When he tried to craft his own dagger though, it proved to be a daunting effort. Unlike Mugi and his thicker muscles, Ayu’s muscle strength was pretty weak. Where Mugi failed because he swung the hammer without caring where it hit, Ayu hit exactly where he wanted, except that the strength was low. So it took Ayu almost a week just to make one dagger after many trials and errors.

“Ah? Isn’t that Mikke?” Ayu said to himself when he saw a boy sneaking about behind a tree.

“Oi, Mikke,” Ayu called.

Mikke’s neck turned back so fast that it must’ve snapped. With fear in his eyes, he cried, “No, no! I haven’t done anything! It’s a lie. Slander!”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“Eh? Isn’t this about – cough – well, nothing. What can I help you with, sister-in-law?”

“Are you up to something bad, Mikke?”

“What? No! What gave you that idea? Hohoho!”

“Too suspicious,” Ayu said as he approached Mikke.

“Wait! I haven’t done anything! Whatever they said, it’s not true!” Mikke said as he took a few steps back.

“Stop walking away if you haven’t done anything wrong,” Ayu said as he continued walking towards Mikke.

“Then, would you stop coming closer, sister-in-law?”

“You don’t have the right to make demands, Mikke,” Ayu stated as he walked with even faster steps.

“Hiii!!!” Mikke turned around and broke into a full sprint. Of course, this meant Ayu had to chase him.

After running a full lap around the village, they eventually stopped when Ayu managed to lasso Mikke’s torso, causing Mikke to stop in his tracks. While still doing his best to run despite the rope around his body, Ayu approached slowly, while pulling on the rope that bound Mikke. With Ayu’s strong grip on his head, Mikke no longer have any chance to run away.

“Calm down, you damned brat. I haven’t heard anything bad about you... yet. I only want you to help me give this to your mom,” Ayu said as he pushed the basket containing fish and vegetables at Mikke.

Mikke looked at the basket in his hands and finally understood. “Ah, are you having dinner with us tonight?”

“Yes, I have to go to the forest first. Tell your mom I’ll arrive before sunset.”

“Yes, sister-in-law, I’ll tell mom. So please release me from the rope.”

Ayu held the length of rope and was about to release Mikke when he said, “After you’ve given the basket to your mom, go help your dad at the field. You’re the only boy in the house now. Stop playing around.”

“Eh? But-“

Go help your dad.”

“Yes!”

Ayu managed to arrive at his in-laws’ home a little earlier than expected. Giving a short greeting to his mother-in-law Helga, he went into the barn beside the house and placed the bundle of firewood in his hands onto a stack of similar sized firewood. The firewood was actually long and uncut, so that it would be easier for him to carry. Like usual, his father-in-law would have to cut it himself depending on how many would be needed. It was Mugi’s job to bring home firewood before this and it was Mugi’s eldest brother Horon’s job to cut the firewood. Ever since they all left to join the army, bringing home firewood became Ayu’s responsibility. His father-in-law once said it wasn’t necessary for him to do it, but Ayu figured that since he ‘married’ into this family, he had to at least show that he wasn’t an irresponsible ‘bride’ despite the ‘marriage’ being a misunderstanding.

When Ayu arrived, his mother-in-law Helga was almost done preparing dinner, so the only thing left was just setting the table. Ayu’s father-in-law and brother-in-law arrived home right after Ayu placed the jug filled with beer on the table. It seemed like Mikke obediently helped his father at the field today.

“Oh, if it isn’t Ayu. I was wondering what made Mikke suddenly volunteer to help at the field today.”

“Good evening, Uncle Glen. Mikke didn’t tell you I’m coming?”

“No, he didn’t. Besides that, I’ve said it many times, call me daddy.”

“And I’ve also said it many times, Uncle Glen. Why?”

“Because you’re our daughter-in-law, Ayu. Call me mommy,” Ayu’s mother-in-law answered from behind.

“I’m a boy!”

“She’s still saying that, dear,” Ayu’s mother-in-law said it with her right palm on her cheek.

“She is, my dear,” Ayu’s father-in-law agreed.

“Can we just eat, please?” Ayu pleaded.

After dinner, Ayu stayed over to help with the chores. When Ayu was about to wash the dishes, Helga pushed a folded letter made of hemp paper into Ayu’s hand. Ayu looked at the front of the folded letter and saw that written there was “To Baker Helga, Farmer Glen, Shoemaker Ayu. From Soldier Mugi, Horon, Kelk.”

“It’s a letter from Mugi!” Ayu exclaimed.

“I know, can you read it?” Helga asked.

Ayu once took a reading and writing lesson from the village chief for the fee of a small basket of fish for every session. Naturally, since Ayu didn’t want to study alone, he roped Mugi into the lessons too, ending up with them having to pay a basket of small fish and either a basket of forest fruits or a small basket of edible mushrooms. Since reading and writing was not a necessary skill in a small village like Easthill, Ayu and Mugi could be said to be the only ones from the new generation that could read and write. So it wasn’t surprising that Ayu’s in-laws had to wait for Ayu to come before they could read the letter from their sons.

Ayu opened the folded letter and his face couldn’t help make a grimace. “Barely, his handwriting is terrible like always.”

Dear mom, dad and my dear wife,
 
That last part sound wonderful. I’m sorry for not sending a letter earlier as the training regime had been too rigid to do anything with our free time. We have successfully joined Warlord Juc’s forces. Big brother Horon was sent to the axemen company, big brother Kelk was sent to the archers company and I’ve been put into the spearmen company, just as expected. I wish I can buy a sword so I can be put into the swordsmen company, but with my current pay, it’s too expensive for me. Since there has not been even a single battle since we joined, I can’t loot the battlefield either.
 
We also decided to send some gifts home with our first pay. For dad, Horon bought a leather jacket. For mom, Kelk bought a fur muffler. For my wife, I bought a box of Ullo roots. For our little brother Mikke, we got you a backscratcher.

“Are you kidding me? What am I going to do with a backscratcher?” Mikke yelled at the letter.

For my dear wife Ayu, I know you’ve always been dissatisfied with your breast size, so I bought the Ullo roots from the same merchant we’re using to send you this letter. It was said to be a root blessed by the goddess of beauty and believed to be able to make even ugly girls beautiful. I’m sorry, I can’t afford to buy the really good stuff, so I can only buy you the cheaper one. It’s still pretty expensive, so I’d appreciate if you would drink it instead of throwing it away as you would probably do.
 
Regardless, we’re doing fine here. We hope all of you are in good health over there too. If you need to send a letter, just address it to ‘Soldier Mugi of the 3rd Spearmen Company’ and hand it to the merchant who delivered the letter and the gifts. I was told he would visit Easthill every month.
 
That’s all from us. We’ll try to send another letter soon. Goodbye for now.

Ayu sighed. “Mugi, if you have the money to buy something expensive, then why don’t you save that money to buy a sword instead?”

Ayu decided to give the Ullo Roots to Lila. He thought it would be better if Lila who was an actual girl to consume it. It is definitely not because I’m afraid of growing breasts, was what he thought.

“He’s just showing how much he loves his wife, Ayu dear,” Helga said as she reached for something under one of the beds.

“That idiot. Nevermind then, I’ll just make him a sword by myself.”

“You can make a sword?” Glen asked.

“How different can it be from making a dagger? It should follow the same principle, only longer and heavier.”

“Can you make me a sword, sister-in-law?” Mikke asked with shining eyes.

“No. Instead of playing around with a sword, why don’t you help your dad and mom more?”

“Eh~ but that’s boring.”

In one flash movement Ayu reached out his hand and grabbed Mikke’s face in his vice-like grip.

“I get it! I’ll help! Stop!!!”

Meanwhile, a short distance away, Ayu’s foster family was also having their dinner. Ayu’s absence didn’t bother them too much, as Ayu have had meals with his in-laws several times since Mugi went to join Warlord Juc’s army. The only one still sulking at Ayu’s absence was his foster sister Lila, who had already forgotten that Ayu wasn’t actually her blood-related sister.

Ayu was a boy, though.

“I assume Ayu is with his in-laws tonight?” Ayu’s dad ask his mom during dinner.

“Yes, he said since all of their grown-up sons joined the army, he has to act like a good bride for appearance sake at least. He’ll be back after dinner, though.”

“It seems like he’s taking this fake wedding too seriously. I thought he said he didn’t want it.”

“Ayu is a responsible girl – I mean, boy. Despite not wanting it, he will do his best to fulfill expectations. Just like how he went and tamed that wild horse when he said he won’t be able to help at the farm much anymore.”

“Hn, indeed. That horse is worth three of Ayu when it comes to farm work.”

“This is our son you’re dissing, dear.”

“Hahaha, sorry, my love. I ran my mouth, but you have to admit, Ayu is terrible with working the farm. He’s even worse than you, and you are about the daintiest woman I ever know.”

“Oh… a rare compliment!”

“Hahaha, sometimes I wonder if Ayu is even a boy. Nothing about him says ‘boy’.”

“Of course big sister isn’t a boy, dad! She’s the prettiest girl in the village!” Lila interrupted.

Ayu’s father patted the little girl’s head. “Yes yes, as you say. I bet Lila will become prettier than big sister when you grow up.”

“Un! Lila will do my best!”

“Then if Lila wants to become pretty like big sister, Lila has to eat the vegetables too, okay?”

“Un! Lila will eat everything, dad!”

Ayu’s mom placed her hand in front of her mouth as she giggled quietly at Lila’s enthusiasm. While watching Lila do her best munching the slices of carrot in the stew, she looked at Ayu’s dad and said, “Yes, I’m very sure. I used to bathe with him myself, remember? It was small, at least compared to the boys of his age, but it was certainly there.”

“Let’s not talk about that in front of the dinner.”

“Agreed.”

******

The clanging of metal against metal could be heard from old Blacksmith Jaqs smithy. As Blacksmith Jaqs along with his two apprentices were swept away when the river flooded several months earlier, such a sound should not have been heard in what should have been an empty smithy. Those curious enough did peek through the large double door, which was left open to allow the heat from the forge to escape. When they saw who was inside, they shrugged and left.

For inside the smithy was the recently wedded bride, Ayu. For the sake of making a sword for her – no, his – husband Mugi, Ayu had been spending the past twenty evenings in the smithy. Around him were fragments of shattered or cracked swords. These were all failed swords, and he didn’t know why it failed.

“Why is a sword so much harder to make than a dagger?” Ayu complained as he made a couple more strikes at the piece of steel in front of him.

Truthfully, there was no need for him to make Mugi a sword. According to Fisherman Leck, these mobilization practices were mostly just for show. It was nothing more a move to maintain the status quo. In essence, the warlords will perform recruitments, to ensure that their armies were at the preferred strength and size. This had nothing to do with going to war. It was simply to show the other warlords that they could comfortably maintain an army of that size and any invasion attempts would be met with this amount of soldiers.

For example, Warlord Juc who governed Arsac, had a peacetime army count of around 4000 men, not including the support staff. The total peacetime army count of its closest belligerent neighbor Heamoor was around 3000. Assuming that these two cities went to war, they could summon probably between 7000 to 10000 additional soldiers from their own population. Since their army count would be about equal, a battle would likely not yield much result, making army mobilization nothing more than a wasteful act. Therefore, maintaining a volunteer army served to intimidate the other side, so that they would think of an invasion as a waste of time and resource.

In other words, whether Mugi had a sword or not, it wouldn’t matter. Since Mugi would never see battle, Mugi would have no use for a sword except as bragging rights. Simply said, while swords could be bought for a few silver, good swords that would retain its edge in battle were quite expensive. To hold such swords would mean one of two things; the first being that the person was rich enough to be able to afford a good sword and the second was that the person had seen his fair share of battles and looted it from the hands of a dead officer. With a good sword, Mugi would likely receive respect and could probably even be raised to a sub-officer, which would mean better pay and working conditions.

Ayu knew a little about smithing. A wrought iron sword was really easy to make. You just needed to heat a lump of iron until red hot, pound it with a hammer until it barely forms the shape of a sword, quench it and then sharpen it. What Ayu was looking to send to Mugi was not some cheap, shoddy piece of metal, Ayu wanted Mugi to be able to brag about it as well. Ayu did not want Mugi to have to lower his head in shame for carrying a cheap sword in the swordsmen company. If Mugi was to join the swordsmen company, then Ayu wanted him to have the best sword.

Unfortunately, Ayu’s image of the ‘best’ sword couldn’t compare to reality. Ayu only vaguely knew how to make a good steel sword, but the details eluded him. Some of the swords he made cracked when he sharpened it. Some showed cracks even while it was cooling. Some shattered as soon as he quenched it. It came to the point where Ayu simply sat quietly in the smithy, watching his workplace and the mountain of cracked and shattered swords on the floor while thinking.

It was a few days later that Ayu decided on making experiments of making steel in very controlled conditions, using sealed clay crucibles to contain iron fragments, coal powder and glass, a method he barely recalled from his memory, as if watching a slideshow of pictures. Two weeks later, he successfully made a sword that neither cracked, shattered nor dulled after a few use. As he paid Carpenter Frug with a new steel dagger to make a sheath for the sword, he thought about sending it to Mugi the next time the merchant came.

In the meantime, Ayu also made a steel helm, for he was sure Mugi did not have a proper helmet yet. As Ayu was too busy working, he didn’t even realize that the merchant had already come and gone. The merchant went back carrying the letter Ayu left with his in-laws and a package of smoked meat. As if in exchange, the merchant left behind another delivery of Ullo roots for Ayu with his in-laws, paid for with Mugi’s salary.

Originally Ayu left the Ullo roots to Lila before Lila refused to drink it as it tasted too bitter. Ayu ended up having to drink the juice from the boiled roots himself, mixed with honey. Despite the addition of honey, Lila still wouldn’t drink it, so Ayu had to continue drinking it himself. Now that another delivery arrived, Ayu had to drink double the portion because he just knew Mugi would raise a fuss if he returned and saw it wasn’t finished. Ayu didn’t realize it, as he had never seen a grown woman naked, but he had already grown a small, budding pair of breasts. He didn’t realize that drinking the Ullo juice with bee honey was actually the proper way of drinking it. He only added the honey because it would be too bitter to drink otherwise without knowing that it activated the root’s special properties.

******

“I wonder what would be good…” Ayu wondered loudly as he walked into the forest, carrying with him a coil of rope, an axe and a spear. Of course, his steel dagger was still strapped to his belt. He also carried with him a leather bag containing food and water.

As someone who spent his entire childhood running around like a wild child in the forest, Ayu knew enough that there was no such thing as ‘one size fits all’ trap. Snares were the simplest and easiest to make, but could only trap small animals. Deadfall traps would be better for larger animals, as smaller animals were generally faster and would be able to avoid the falling tree trunk, but it would take time to prepare. Pitfall traps would work best but would take too long to prepare. It would also require a shovel, something that Ayu forgot to bring. Needless to say, these would all be dangerous to humans or other unintended victims. Therefore Ayu had to look for a place that people would rarely venture to and set up a trap for the largest animal that frequent that area.

Now why would Ayu suddenly want to trap a large animal? Was it no longer enough for him to eat fish and rabbits anymore? No, it had nothing to do with eating. Ayu was looking for bones, bones from animals stronger than a fish or a rabbit.

This all started from a story told by Hunter Muric. From his story, it seemed like all the good swords were created not only with coal, but also with beast’s bones. Some smiths even use the bones of famous warriors. Apparently the bones made the swords stronger and the spirit from the bones made the swords sharper and the wielder more skillful. Ayu wondered if he failed the first fourteen swords because he didn’t make use of animal bones. Being raised in a superstitious society, Ayu believed the story in its entirety.

That was why Ayu was in the forest. Of course, Ayu could just get some pig, cow or rabbit bones, but Ayu didn’t want to use those. According to Hunter Muric, the stronger the animal, the stronger the weapon’s power would be. After making Mugi’s sword, Ayu realized that Mugi would just brag about serving in the swordsmen company and make fun of Ayu for not having battle experience. Ayu, being someone who didn’t like losing, didn’t want to suffer the ridicule. Therefore, Ayu decided to make a sword of his own, and not just any sword, but the best sword possible.

For that reason, Ayu had to find a strong animal. Rabbits just won’t cut it. He was aiming for a wild boar, but a deer would be good too. It was while Ayu was looking for tracks in the part of the forest that bordered the mountains that he heard a growl to his left. It was in the direction of the mountains. In his desire to find a good material, he didn’t realize that he had ventured too close to the mountains.

Unlike the place Ayu mined iron ores, this area of the mountain was rarely visited by the villagers. There were very good reasons for that. The first was because this part of the forest was very deep and there was no need for anyone to venture that far when they could’ve gotten it from the edge of the forest. Another reason was the name of this part of the mountain. It was called The Howling Ridge and for good reason. This area was home to several wolf packs, all of which were hostile to humans

Ayu looked to his left. Growling there was a big white wolf, the biggest wolf Ayu had ever seen. Ayu had seen many wolves while exploring the forest with Mugi. Most of them minded their own business, though some, like the Red Striped Wolves were very hostile and would chase them every time they caught their scent. So both Ayu and Mugi had to be aware of their surroundings at all times while they were in the forest or near the mountains. They complimented each other’s blind spots. Not having Mugi around had messed up Ayu’s sense of awareness, causing him to lose sense of his surroundings.

Normally it was fine, wolves move in packs, so Ayu could tell if they were there if his senses could catch just one. The difference here was that it was not a pack but a lone wolf. No matter how often Ayu stopped and listened, if this single wolf moved silently, he would not be able to detect it. At least, not without Mugi.

Ayu couldn’t run. Wolves were generally stronger and faster than humans. They were also predators that chase, so by running, Ayu would present his vulnerability and would be overtaken instantly. The best course would be to face the wolf and back away slowly. However, that was a problem by itself. As wolves hunt in packs, there should be more than one. There was only one wolf in front of Ayu. Where would the other wolves be?

Ayu tried to expand his awareness, listening to the sound of ground being stepped on, leaves being brushed against and branches being snapped. There was none. So unlike the standard strategy of surrounding him, they were doing something else. Could it be they were in ambush? Using this single wolf to guide him to their ambush spot, then pounce on him when Ayu was close? Could wolves think of something so elaborate? It was too suspicious for wolves that would always hunt in packs to be hunting alone. No matter how unlikely, they must have been attempting to ambush him.

Ayu froze again, listening to the sound around him. After he was confident that there was nothing suspicious, he released his burdens and grabbed both his spear and hatchet. With a short spear in his right hand and a hatcher in his left, he made a stance against the wolf. It wasn’t even a minute before the wolf sprinted forward, its jaws wide open, intent of making Ayu its prey.

Ayu calmly watched the white wolf’s feet, silently made a calculation in his mind and evaded at the very last moments to his right, where the positioning of the wolf’s feet would not allow it to turn towards Ayu. Waiting for the right moment, Ayu then swung his hatchet down at the wolf’s neck the moment it missed his arm. Yet, it didn’t hit as the wolf, aware about the danger, shifted its feet causing it to lose its balance and rolled on the ground.

Safe from Ayu’s hatchet, the wolf righted itself and stared down at Ayu. Having turned around to face the wolf again, Ayu posed his spear forward, as if challenging the wolf to charge. It did not. Instead, it walked around Ayu in a circle, sizing him up, observing his weakness.

This move made Ayu sweat. Ayu had never personally fought wolves. The few times Ayu and Mugi were chased by wolves, they made them turn around by firing arrows or throwing rocks at the approaching wolves. Ayu did not carry arrows, he planned to make traps, not hunt. It was also too late to bend down and pick up rocks with the wolf being so close. Ayu admitted his oversight on both accounts. It was too late to blame himself though, as he prepared to bet his life on what was probably going to be the first and last showdown in his life.

Ayu really wished Mugi was here. Had Mugi been here, they would’ve flanked the wolf easily. They probably wouldn’t be able to kill the wolf, but at least they could intimidate it enough that it would leave. No chance of that now.

The wolf growled.

Ayu fixed his stance just as the wolf pounced at him from a slightly higher elevation. Panicked at seeing a wolf larger than a man approaching fast, Ayu swung his hatchet. Unfortunately, because of the sweat that accumulated in his left palm, the hatchet’s handle slipped from his hand. As it flew in the air, it grazed the belly of the wolf slightly and finally stuck itself into the trunk of a tree behind the wolf.

Ayu was barely able to avoid the jaws and paws of the wolf that was flying at him, but his long hair was caught by the jaws of the wolf. Thankfully, Ayu managed to take out his steel dagger and cut the hair before he was dragged down by the wolf. Seeing as its prey was still free, the wolf spat out the hair it caught. Without allowing Ayu to catch his breath, the wolf righted itself and charged towards Ayu’s unprotected back.

Unable to defend himself, Ayu could only jump to the side. The charging wolf failed to bite him again, but its large paw smacked against the unsteady Ayu. The impact caused him to be thrown away and his hemp shirt to tear when it was caught in the wolf’s claw. The impact was so great he flew and hit a tree trunk so violently that he lost grip on both his weapons as he ended up at the foot of the tree.

Seeing that its prey was now unarmed and defenseless, the wolf made one final lunge. Ayu, his vision still blurry, felt around the ground until his right hand grabbed something. He didn’t know what it was, only that it felt like a tree branch, but he threw it at the still blurry form of the wolf with all his strength.

The wolf howled in pain.

When Ayu’s vision returned, Ayu saw the wolf struggling to its feet in front of him. Its mouth was overflowing with blood, and the reason was the short spear in its throat. In Ayu’s moment of confusion, Ayu had somehow grabbed the spear and threw it into the large wolf’s maw. It had nothing to do with skill, it was simply luck.

Ayu thanked whatever power in the sky for being able to live another day.

Meanwhile, the large white wolf struggled to drag itself away. Seeing the wolf’s retreating figure with the spear still stuck deep inside the wolf, Ayu grabbed the dagger next to his left hand and got up unsteadily. With her body still shaking in fear and pain, Ayu crossed the short distance to the hatchet and pulled it out of the tree trunk. He followed the mewls of pain whenever the wolf or the spear in its throat hit against the ground or a tree. The trail of blood on the ground also ensured that Ayu would never lose his prey.

Despite his shaky legs, Ayu quickened his pace. He wanted to catch up with the wolf as soon as he could. He now knew what bones he wanted to use. He was going to use wolf bone, and he wanted this particular wolf’s bone to become his sword. Stalking silently through the undergrowth guided by the trail of blood and the noise of something big bumping against the trees, Ayu finally came out of the forest, into a clearing at the base of the mountain. In front of him, just a few feet from a small cave, the wolf lay barely alive.

What amazing vitality, Ayu thought as he looked at the spear sticking out of the wolf’s mouth.

It was while he was admiring the wolf’s life force that he heard squeaks from inside the cave. Giving the wolf a wide berth, he walked past the wolf and into the cave. Following the sound of the squeaks, Ayu discovered that the cave was a small lair. Not far from the cave’s mouth, Ayu found the origin of the noise. It was a small litter of wolf pups, five of them. Their eyes were still closed, they were probably only a few days old.

Ayu suddenly felt guilty. Ayu now understood why the wolf stood alone. It was probably chased out of its pack for some reason. It was merely guarding its lair, all alone when Ayu appeared. Had Ayu just leave, it would likely not give chase. Horrified at what he did, Ayu quickly went back to the wolf. Slowly and gently, Ayu pulled the spear out, taking care to avoid giving it any additional damage. Ayu knew it was probably useless, but he reasoned that if it stayed inside, it would continue to cause damage every time the wolf breathed. So Ayu had to do something.

Ayu quickly brought the blind wolf pups to the mother wolf one at a time, hoping to give it a chance to say goodbye in its own words. The wolf coughed, causing red showers to come out of its mouth while the pups suckled on the wolf’s teats. Ayu tried not to look at the dying wolf and the suckling pups as he cut some branches with the hatchet in order to make a simple triangle carrier to carry the wolf’s body back to the village. It was nothing elaborate, just a bunch of branches, tied in the shape of a triangle, with a narrow base. It would be pulled by its upper corner as the two long branches were dragged on the ground. Along the length of the lower side of the triangle, smaller branches were tied to hold the wolf while it’s being carried. In essence it would be similar to a wheeled shopping carrier, but without the wheels and instead of a horizontal bar, it would only have two ends of a branch tied together as a handhold.

Ayu knew it wouldn’t be the most efficient or the safest type of carrier, but he had no other choice and no other resources. It would be uncomfortable for the dying fox, but Ayu hoped its life force would be strong enough to survive the journey back to the village. Ayu couldn’t know for sure if it would recover, but Ayu thought he could at least ask the herbalists to try save it.

Once Ayu finished, he quickly rolled the wolf onto the carrier, causing it to release another rain of blood on the ground. Ayu had no choice. It was a huge wolf, even bigger than him. It would probably be different if Mugi was around, but alone, it was impossible for Ayu to pick it up. Then Ayu tied the wolf to the carrier with the remaining rope.

Satisfied that the wolf was secure, Ayu scooped up the wolf pups and placed them into the leather bag containing Ayu’s water and food supplies. Then, Ayu ran, pulling the carrier behind him. Due to the wolf’s weight, Ayu had to take a rest from time to time. Since Ayu didn’t want to hurt the wolf any further, Ayu also had to make detours several times to avoid particularly hard drops in elevation or tree roots too big to cross comfortably. Ayu ended up taking almost seven hours to reach the village. By the time he arrived, it was too late. The wolf mother was already dead.

He fell to his knees next to the carrier with the dead wolf. Rubbing the mane of the huge white wolf, which was now covered in dried blood, he swore that the wolf’s death would not be in vain. To the spirit of the wolf, he swore that every part of the wolf would be made useful and become a part of him. As for the wolf’s pups, he would take care of them as if they were his own children, until they matured and able to survive in the wilds on their own.

He hugged the bloody and cold body of the wolf, promising it that he would take over its responsibilities from now on.

*As usual, all your comments and feedbacks are welcomed. Praises helps me puff myself up so I can write faster. Constructive criticisms humbles me so I can do better job at writing. So please say something, okay?
**This chapter ended up becoming too long, so I had to split it. Please keep on reading.

up
114 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks

shiinaai's picture

Thank you for the kind words. Please keep supporting me.

Wolf pups

shiinaai's picture

Are you predicting something, dorothy? lol Thanks for reading.

Good Job

More please.....

Thanks

shiinaai's picture

Thanks for your comment. The next one is partially done, but I can't work on it right now because of my day job. I'll continue working on it as soon as my days are less hectic, which should be next week. This large project I'm currently doing is really screwing with my time.

Ayu - Crazy Wolf Lady

Podracer's picture

Hardly welcome in the village though, unless they have a hidden tradition with the animals.
The strange half acceptance of this girly being hints to me of a tolerance to the gender varied in their society though.
Fascinating, though we expect Ayu to continue towards the other side, the rest of the situation keeps me guessing.

"Reach for the sun."

Crazy Wolf Lady

shiinaai's picture

Thank for your comment. The answer will come quickly in the next chapter. Hope you'll keep on reading.

With every new chapter more

With every new chapter more and more questions and no single answer. Just wondering...

Answers

shiinaai's picture

Sorry, I will try to give answers as soon as the plot allows it. Some questions, such as Ayu's origins will never be answered, as not even Ayu knows. Sorry about that.

Thanks

shiinaai's picture

Please await the next chapter. It will probably be up by next week.

Please post new chapter soon.

Please post new chapter soon.
Awaiting the chapter patiently.
In Hindi 'Ayu' means age (life) and Lila(or Leela) means creation or show.

I also liked your other stories too especially sky goddess and The Last Water Nymph and waiting for their next chapters too.

New chapter

shiinaai's picture

Thanks for your comment. I'll try to post new chapter within this month. Been a little busy. Thank you for the Hindi meaning of their names. I think I can give them extra dimensions with those.

PLease more chapters soon, I

PLease more chapters soon, I reread this because I remembered reading it the first time and being sad it was so short. Please please please don't let this die

Never be afraid to push yourself to new limits. While you might not see the path, you will be amazed at what you can achieve.

Chapters

shiinaai's picture

Sorry, life has been too hectic for me. I'll try to release the next one within this month. I have it written at 30% so far. I know how the chapter goes, but I've been too busy with writing contests in february and march on top of my day job that I've not been able to commit to writing.

Woof!

Wonderful chapter.. Yep; you will need the 10,000 days as this can become a saga!

alissa

Very touching moment.

I can't guess much where this story will be heading to, but its already a very touching one. Sad for the dead mother wolf. But things happened.

Keep it going.. Ciayo ciayo..

I hope you are still Ok?

Podracer's picture

Shiinaai it has been a while, I realised after reading these chapters again.

"Reach for the sun."