Mercy chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

Mercy

This is fan fiction of the Whateley Academy universe. I hope you like it.

No one noticed the smaller boy with the thick glasses as he navigated the hallways of his high school.

Which was exactly how he wanted it.

Being invisible beat the alternative.

His name was Matthew Marshall, and he had dealt with enough pain already, so he had no desire to add to it by getting attention.

His first encounter with grief had been five years ago, when his mother died. The second encounter came when he realized that his father had killed her ...

He fought back tears and tried to focus on getting to the next class.

But he couldn't stop remembering what happened next. Objects in his room began to move on their own, and he suddenly could feel the thoughts and feelings of others.

He eventually realized he was a mutant, but managed to hide that fact from his caregivers at the orphanage where he had been sent after his father's arrest.

For a while, he wanted to use his powers to hurt those who had hurt him, to strike back at the world for all the pain he had suffered.

But every time he got close to doing that, he felt like he could hear his mother telling him to refrain.

To show mercy instead of vengeance.

So now he mostly just used his ability to be unnoticed.

That was getting harder, because he had recently began to feel ... strange.

Pain in his hips, itching on his chest, and worse, a feeling in his stomach like someone was rearranging his internal organs.

“You need to go see the nurse” his mother's voice told him.

He resisted that, fearing the response he might receive.

But today the pain was getting too much.

Sweating, he fought to keep upright long enough to make it to the nurse's office before passing out ...

When he awoke, he found himself in a hospital bed, with a woman standing near him. When she saw him open his eyes, she said, “Welcome back to the land of the living, dear.”

“What ... what happened to me?” he managed.

“You nearly had a burnout. It sometimes happens to a mutant when they are adjusting to their powers.”

“Then ... you know what I am? What I can do?”

“Not all of it. We did some tests, but there are some that are better done when the subject is awake.”

“Are you gonna ... experiment on me?”

“No, dear. With your permission, we will help you learn what you can do, so you can control it. What you do after that will be your choice.”

“Who ... are you?”

“You can call me Lady Astarte, or Mrs. Carson. I run a school that helps young mutants learn how to control their abilities. And I would like you to come there.”

The woman sighed, and then added, “But before you do that, you ... need to see what you look like now. You've ... changed. “

“Do it, hon.”

“Mom?”

“Sort of, hon. you made a copy of my mind with your abilities. But the important thing is I am here, and I will help you. But you need to see what has changed.”

He shakingly stood, and looked in the mirror that the woman had brought with her.

The girl in the mirror was definitely cute. Not staggeringly beautiful, but very cute. An image came into his mind, of his mother as a teen.

“Yes, dear. You look a lot like I did at your age.”

The only really odd thing (other than the fact she was his reflection) was she had wings. They did not appear to be made of feathers, but of energy.

Fortunately, Mrs. Carson was fast enough that he didnt hit the ground when he collapsed ...

The beginning (I hope ...)

up
348 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I like it!

I'm hoping you write more hon.

I hope so too, Wendy

thanks for commenting

DogSig.png

A good beginning

Bobbie Sue's picture

Dorothy,

This is a good start and should be very interesting.

thanks, Bobbie Sue

I hope my muse sends me more of this one

DogSig.png

Very interesting

Very interesting start. I do hope your muse will give you more of this tale.

Hugs, Anne.

Anne Margarete

Interesting

Domoviye's picture

I'll need to see more to really comment, but i like the idea of making a copy of his mother's mind, very cool.

A start

Tas's picture

I'd certainly be interested in reading more should you decide to continue. :)

I mean, energy wings? Awesome.

-Tas

Yay!

erica jane's picture

This was really fun. I hope you continue this, Dottie.

*hug*

~And so it goes...

Dorothy,

Dorothy,
A great story beginning and I do want to read more. Looking forward to your next chapter. Hugs,

Keep it going Dorothy...

Patrick Malloy's picture

This has a lot of potential, please continue.

Patrick Malloy

Yes

Go for it this is a great start keep adding chapters

thanks, Richie

working on it, promise !

DogSig.png

Please continue

I like the story but I don't think I'd like my Mom looking over my shoulder all the time - eeeek

Jeri

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

dont blame you, Jeri

I wouldnt want that either.

Thanks for commenting.

DogSig.png

Nice Beginning

Daphne Xu's picture

This is off to a nice start. I agree, now that Jeri mentioned it, I wouldn't like Mom looking over my shoulder all the time. On the other hand, I would definitely prefer that to Mom being dead. I found it sad that it was only a copy of Mom, that he inadvertently made in his mind.

-- Daphne Xu

-- Try saying freefloating three times rapidly.

love the beginning his

love the beginning his mothers still protecting even after she's gone, seems father was a failure all around, wonder what his damage was

Very good beginning

Jamie Lee's picture

Yes, this short story is a very good beginning, which I hope continues.

Others have feelings too.

thanks, Jamie Lee

I am noodling part 2 now

DogSig.png

good starting.

I am liking this. :)

thanks!

I hope you keep liking the story

DogSig.png

Great Start!

Raine Monday's picture

Looking forward to reading more :)

thanks, Raine

hope you like what follows.

DogSig.png

Boy O boy !!!

I never looked or realized... You most hold the record.. As the most prolific writer!!! Kudoe's
a

alissa

Interesting start.

Okay, Dot, you convinced me somehow to read this before I finish the other story I've been rereading. Mind rays or something? LOL

As I said, this looks like an interesting start. It is also interesting that memories of his mother have him thinking of showing mercy, not vengeance. It can be all too easy to let anger rule one rather than take a moment to let oneself settle down to look at things calmly.

Yay!

A new whateley story to read. I like it so far! :)