Rules Are Rules: 42. No Nancy Drew

Printer-friendly version

"Marcie, what's with you?" Carla asked me. "You're so calm. It's kinda spooky. Are you on something?"

Rules Are Rules

42. No Nancy Drew

 


Part 42
 

Cory walked by our lunch table. He gave me a funny look, then he smiled at Eden. She smiled back at him.

"Pretty soon the monitor's going to make him sit at Jerry and Pat's table," Carla commented. Eden reddened.

"Are you and Cory an item?" I asked.

"We talk," Eden said, with a little smile. "I don't have a lot of time right now, though, what with the Bye Bye Birdie rehearsals. But we talk."

"What was the weird look he gave me?" I asked her.

"He wants to ask you something," she said, and gave me a mysterious look. "But don't ask me what it is, because I won't tell you."

Somehow I didn't feel like wheedling the answer out of her. I wasn't tired. It's just that... not knowing didn't bother me. I felt... serene, I guess. Eden would tell me in good time, or Cory would.

"Marcie, what's with you?" Carla asked me. "You're so calm. It's kinda spooky. Are you on something?"

"No," I said, shrugging.

"I hope it wears off soon," she continued. "I'm waiting for your next escapade."

"Escapade?" Eden laughed. "Her next adventure. Oh!" she said, suddenly realizing. "We're like the girls in Nancy Drew! Marcie is Nancy, you're George, and I'm Bess — except that I'm not fat like Bess. And Jerry is whats-his-name, uh, Nancy's boyfriend..."

"Ned Nickerson," I supplied.

"Yes! And your Aunt Jane is Hannah whatever–"

"Hannah Gruen," I said. "But Aunt Jane is a nurse, not a housekeeper–"

"Whoa, whoa! Slow down there, girly girls!" Carla said.

"Sorry," I told her. "I just read a couple Nancy Drew books, so it's all fresh in my mind."

"Those are for little girls," she said.

"I know," I said, blushing. "But I never read them before."

"You've gotta get off that junk," Carla told me. "It's bad for your brain!"

Eden giggled.

... or did she? I looked at Eden's face and heard her giggle a second time, but she wasn't laughing. "What the –?" I asked.

Eden gestured behind her to Cory, who was answering his cell phone.

"That's Cory's ring tone," she said.

"Your giggle is Cory's ring tone?" I asked, eyebrows high.


Mrs. Auburn had asked me to pick up Nina after school. "Jerry and Cassie are busy," she said, "and I'll pay you, but don't let Nina know you're babysitting, okay?"

Tierson Elementary was a fifteen-minute walk, so I couldn't get there just when school ended, but Nina was going to wait for me. Eden came along so she could talk about Cory. We walked as quickly as we could. "I don't want her just hanging out in front of the school," I explained.

When we arrived, Nina was looking suspiciously at a car parked nearby, and was obviously relieved to see me.

"Hi," she said. "There's a weird guy hanging around. He came over to talk to me, so I backed up toward the school door, until he gave up. I just wish that he'd go away."

There was only one other little girl waiting. I asked, "Nina, do you know her?" Nina shook her head. "Let's wait until someone comes to pick her up."

Nina was clutching a notebook and a pen with a big pom-pom on the end. I said, "Nina, will you write down the number of his license plate? Just in case?" She scribbled it down. I took out my cell phone and set my purse on the ground.

Eden looked worried. "The guy is talking to that little girl," she observed.

I turned to look. The man had opened the back door of the car, and gestured to the girl. She shook her head no. Swiftly, he scooped her up and jumped into the car. The car took off.

It was as if an electric shock ran through my entire body. I grabbed Nina by the shoulders and looked into her eyes. "Stay with Eden," I told her. I thrust my cell phone into Eden's hands and said, "Call 911. Take Nina to your house. I'll meet you there." Then I turned and ran.

The car took a left at the corner. I cut across the park, aiming to meet the car before it hit the next intersection. I was running faster than I ever ran in my life. The distance wasn't far, and I caught up with the car as it paused at the stop sign. I wanted to shout, "Stop!" or something, but didn't have the breath. I put my left hand on the frame of the driver's window and looked the driver in the face.

"Get the hell out of here!" the man in the back seat yelled. I don't know if that was directed at me or the driver, but the driver hit the gas. The girl in the back seat yelled, "Help me! PLEASE!"

I don't know how or when or why I did it, but with my right hand I grabbed the roof rack, and kicked my right foot up. My heel got stuck in the rack, so I couldn't have let go if I wanted to. I hooked my left leg on the side of the car as well as I could, and hung on for dear life.

I was on there pretty well, but if my hands slipped or lost their grip, I'd hang by my heel and my head would hit the road, so believe me, I didn't let go.

The driver panicked and started speeding up and braking hard to try to shake me off. He took some fast right turns, but I clung like a barnacle. The man in the back seat kept shouting, but I couldn't make out what he was saying.

The wind stung my eyes, and my hands started to hurt. I felt like an animal, fighting for survival. I couldn't think or do anything but hang on tight and not let go.

At the same time, I saw the faces of the two men and the little girl, like close-ups. I could see every emotion, every feeling and thought that went through them. The car was going fast, but time was moving slowly — incredibly slowly. I wondered whether I was going to die or be badly hurt. I knew I couldn't let go... not just for myself, but for the little girl.

I don't know how long it went on or how far we drove, but it seemed like an eternity. The girl kept crying, and the man kept shouting. I could see the driver's face, desperate with fear. Finally, I heard the whoop, whoop of a police siren, and the car stopped.

The policeman had to lift me up so I could unhook my heel from the roof rack. The entire time the man in the back seat was accusing me of everything he could think of, from vandalism to attempted carjacking. He said I had a weapon, a gun or a knife, that I must have dropped on the road.

The policeman didn't say anything. He calmly held me and helped me until I had both feet on the ground. He asked if I was okay, and when I nodded, he gave me a wink. I leaned against the back of the car as my chest heaved. I needed to catch my breath.

The policeman, with the same calm manner, asked the driver for his license and registration. The driver fumbled for it. I was about to turn to look at the girl, when–

Suddenly, and frighteningly, a second police car pulled up and stationed itself in front of the car. The policeman near me unsnapped his holster and put his hand on his gun. "Keep your hands where I can see them," he said to the men in the car.

To me, he said, "Go to the police car," and gestured with his head.

"I can't walk," I replied. My legs were wobbling so hard, I thought I was going to fall down.

The policeman pulled out his gun and said to the men, "Turn off the engine and step out of the car." Two more policemen came up to the bad guys' car. One pulled out the man from the back seat and bent him over the trunk of the car. The other moved me aside and helped the little girl from the car. I slid down to the ground and started crying.

up
216 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good Job

That was great. She saved the girl.

Thank you, Kaleigh. So good I read it
twice.

Sarah Lynn

I wonder

Will this give Marcie a "leg up" on her reputation? Great character development, what with Marcie realizing what she has done for a change; our little heroine is growing up!

Hugs
Diana

Marcie makes her Mark—again?

Once again Marcie shows she has balls in spite of her recent Accidectomy! Marcie Drew the right conclusion and took the necessary action. Sorry about the puns, I couldn't resist it, but there's obviously a lot of Mark left in Marcie.

She reminds me a bit of Gaby in Angharad's fanfic Drew Goes South where Gaby and Harry (her boyfriend) take direct action against criminals. See:– http://www.maddybell.com/dgs01.htm

Another great action-packed chapter, Kayleigh.

Hugs,
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Oh, Gabi! Must you?

Oh, Gabi! Must you? Your puns are excruciating, but great fun.

Kayleigh, I just love this story and eagerly await each daily fix. You're a great raconteur, Hun.

Hugs

Hilary

Low Humor?

Gabi:

And they say puns are a low form of
humor. inexplicable.

Hee, Hee, hee.

Sarah Lynn

At least she hasn't

At least she hasn't challenged anyone to epistle's at 20 yards :P
I don't know, but I think Gabi hit the Mark in her comments!

Hugs
Diana

Oh my Gawd…

…what have I started?

It wasn't me, honest, Guv!

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

No idea

But I hope to see you at the finish line
Maybe we could make that the Finnish line (like a smorgasboard?)
Regardless of what you may have heard about me, I am innocent O:)

Hugs
Diana

Not just a wimpy ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... nancy boy :-)

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Marcie's more like…

…Nancy Blackett—Captain Nancy, the terror of the seas—Arthur Ransome's masterful (??) girl in the Swallows and Amazons novels that were my fave reading matter as a child. Nancy was the character I wanted to be more than any other, and not because I was TG (they didn't have a name for it in the late 1940s) but because she was such a strong character. A more girlie girl would have preferred to be Susan, Peggy or Titty.

I still have all twelve of the Arthur Ransome books I had then in the bookcase by my bed so I can dip into them for comfort reading.

BTW, Jezzi, what's this about Wimpy? I don't recall Marcie having a hamburger in any episode so far!!

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

re: Rules Are Rules: 42

Those poor kidnappers... they're going to jail. But at *least* they didn't kidnap Marcie. Imagine the trauma they'd have gone through then... they'd turn themselves in!

exactly!

That remark shows quite a bit of foresight!

Local DA.

Evalyn:

I never disagree with anyone, but as a district
attorney (kidding), I definitely charge them with
both counts.

Kidnapping
Kidnapping with mayhem
Assault, with a deadly weapon
reckless endangerment
reckless driving
Driving to endanger
Parking
J-walking
littering
Chewing gum after 8 a.m.

and last but not least.

Wearing that top, with those pants,
I mean - Eeeeawww! (That would be
the inchoate offence.)

Sarah Lynn Morgan

Super Marcie Saves The Day

Marcie once again proves that she is made out of very stern mettle. Her selfless actions will endear her to the frightened girl and her parents. Once Marcie's Mom and Aunt Jane find out, no doubt they will scold her yet be proud that Marcie was there.
May Your Light Forever Shine.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

How did Marcie get her foot up so high?

Angharad's picture

Not only how did the heel catch, but how did she get it up that high as she's only a shrimp herself? More nonsense, but of an enjoyable form.

2nd question, did she still get paid for babysitting?

Angharad

Angharad

Let's give credit to ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... Nina, too, who obviously learned her lessons about "stranger danger" very well.
And Eden, also, the sidekick.
Watch out Kim Possible and Co., Marcie and her friends are now in the Save The World business, too!

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

rules are rules #42

wow not nancy drew.well a noter fin mess your in marcy
mybe marcy should run for mayer in town
ths is to hot verry good and i dont reamber when i lafew so hard
i just like something out of nancy drew
have a good one and keep on trucking
love n hugs whildchild

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

WWMD

Stacie a butterfly never freed
What would mommy do ? Marcie is a cross between lucy & nancy, or is it lucy on steriods. I can hear mommy and aunt jane now marice you got some splain to do. Kaleigh this story has more twist and turns than a ball of unraviled yarn in grandma's sewwing basket. I never saw this comming, I wonder if this is what the doc meant by telling marcie in her mommy shoes? I love it give me more please.

Stacie a butterfly never freed

Spandex

According to the well-established rules of comic book heroine-dom, as well as union regulations, Marcie is out of uniform and in gross violation of accepted practice.

I have it on good authority that having just made her third heroic rescue without benefit of uniform, she will be receiving a visit imminently from the standards and practices committee of the Fraternal Order of Good Guys (F.O.G.G.) demanding an immediate cessation of her public hero activities until she gets the proper spandex superhero outfit and disguise.

After all, Rules ARE Rules!

But she has an excuse !

There were no phone booths or revolving doors nearby for her to change !

Kim

She coulda, shoulda said....

... Shazam! Nobody would have been surprised by the lightning bolt.

Good Point

But shouldn't that be 'Captain Marvel' ? Only the good Captain got to say Shazam ?

Kim

Um, nope.

erin's picture

Mary Marvel also said Shazam to transform, at least in the originals. Or maybe it was Marcie Marvel. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Censored again?

Cory's not going to be happy when another Marcie-supergirl cartoon gets censored *Ahem!* sorry, refused publication on the grounds of public safety.

Send in the EMT's...

Jane and Mom are going to need EMT's camped at their home to prevent heart attacks. Catholic girls school, with Marcie cloistered somewhere may be their only hope for a normal life. Send in the clowns.

Love,

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

She really has a high capacity for adventure !!!!!!!

Gwen I think you're right, this kid seeks out trouble like a cat can find a tuna fish can. Its a good thing my chair has side rails, I'd hurt myself by falling out onto the floor.
Gwen Brown

waithing for the teaser

waiting for the teaser...... Will Marcie save the day again? Will her mother and Aunt forgive this event? Will she be able to walk on wobbly legs?...

Tune in tomorrow, same Marcie time, same Marcie channel'

A.A.

flashing

I hope she wasn't wearing a short skirt again when she kicked up to the roof of that car.

Oh Knickers!

To use a swearword popular with some Brits. But it would've been appropriate if Marcie was clad as Jennifer was wondering.

Hilary

Short skirt

I'm sure she will be in Cory's cartoon ;-)

Well...

So much for keeping a low profile.

"Marcie, what's with you?" Carla asked me. "You're so calm. It's kinda spooky. Are you on something?"

She might be calmer now, but she hasn't lost her edge!

Ray Drouillard

The are NOT just for little girls

NoraAdrienne's picture

I'm sorry to tell you all this.. but my womensmysterywriter group on yahoo regularly reads Nancy Drew stories as the monthly book of choice.

ok,ok

kristina l s's picture

I'll go back and read the damn thing alright! Happy now! I got slightly put off by the first and haven't had a chance to go back and catch up. Hell just the comments leave me lost, there's so any references just in this bunch where I'm going..huh?

I think Angharad and Kaleigh should have a story off... chapters to follow each other in a story to be outlined by us lot of unwashed masses.

Anyways...I'll go back and read, I's feelin' all left out like not knowin' what's goin' on.

Kristina

Amazing

When the "suspicious" car was mentioned, I thought "No, it can't be. It HAS to be something perfectly normal." Then she goes riding a car in a way never intended and I went like "You've got to be kidding.."

I believe Eden has a point when she said there's at least one major event happening in Marcie's life each week. Wasn't she going to avoid attention ? I guess she could use some lessons for that :)

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Holy crap

You're a wicked, wicked girl Kayleigh.

I can't believe how one girl can get into so much in such a short space of time!

I can't stop now, got another chapter to read

Hugs and big smiles,

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

No one else said it...

...in the storm of puns and superhero references.

This chapter was the answer to Life, the Universe, and Marcie. :-)

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Oh yeah...

... it was that, wasn't it?

rescue!

forget Nancy Drew, she's Supergirl!

DogSig.png