Birthday Blues ~ Part 1

Printer-friendly version

Gerry’s eighteenth birthday celebration starts out on a decidedly sour note. A chance encounter changes that—and the course of his life. This is the story of that encounter and its repercussions.

Part One: The Beginning


Birthday Blues ~ Part 1


I sit on the bench in the mall and sigh. I think to myself, “What a birthday this turned out to be!”

My best friend and I were supposed to hang out after my Mom took us to dinner, but Mom wound up having to stay late at work to finish up an ‘emergency’ project and Dan, my best friend came down with some form of Montezuma’s Revenge… So, I took the bus to the mall; it is a new one, not far from our house and really upscale. I wandered around for half an hour, wondering what I am supposed to do, only to plop myself down on this bench in a little pool of misery. This is just not how your eighteenth birthday is supposed to go. I have reservations for three at a really nice restaurant, and Mom’s credit card to pay for it—but who wants to eat alone?

Feeling lost, I look at my reflection in the window of some expensive woman’s clothing store across from me and sigh again. I am nobody’s dream at five foot seven and slightly overweight. I have been trying to lose the fat and gain the muscle, but nothing seems to really work. What weight I have lost has not been replaced with muscle, even though I have been going to the gym a lot lately. Dan, now there is a guy that has put on the muscle—but then I think puberty hit him hard at 12 or 13. I think I am still waiting…

At that moment, I see the most beautiful girl I think I have ever laid eyes on come out of the clothing store. I do my best not to stare, or gawk, but it is nearly impossible, she is so beautiful—we are talking super model gorgeous. She is tall and slender, with just the right amount of curves. She has long, beautifully styled, blond hair. I pinch myself to pull my eyes away from her and look down at my shoes, a little red-faced at my dreams of ever having a chance with someone like her. Talk about being out my league—no, out of my universe, even.

I am studying the small smudge of dirt on my shoe, trying to keep from looking up and watch her walk away, when, to my surprise, I hear the distinct clicking of her sky-high heels coming my way. I smell her flowery perfume before I see her shiny red heels come into my field of vision, not two feet away from my own, in comparison, grungy-looking shoes. I hear a swoosh, as she turns and sweeps her dress under her…and sits down on the bench with me!

I keep studying my shoes when I see a bag fall down and its contents, all sorts of cosmetic stuff, start rolling over the marble floor of the mall. Without thinking, I jump up and start helping her chase down the escaping jars of who-knows-what. I hand her the three jars that I am able to round up and am paid back with the most beautiful smile I have ever seen. Perfectly straight, brilliant white teeth—framed with the most luscious plump and shiny red lips. My eyes move up to meet hers—they are a brilliant blue and encased in long, fluttery eyelashes…they seem to match the butterflies in my stomach…

She says, “Thank you so much! I hate these cheap bags!” She shows me the plastic bag and where the handle had ripped. She continues her rant, “As much as you pay in these stores, they should have better bags!” I blush again and shyly say, “You are very welcome! It was nothing, though.” I don’t know why, but I just continued, “I was just sitting here feeling a little sorry for myself, so it was my pleasure to help.”

I prepare myself for her to leave me to my misery when I am surprised to find her sit back down and ask, “Oh, why are you feeling sorry for yourself?” I really blush now. I get flustered, but finally say, “Well, it is my eighteenth birthday and I was supposed to hang out with my best friend, but he got sick. My Mom was going to take us out to eat first, but she had to stay late at work…so here I am, trying to decide whether to go make use of the reservation, or not.”

She smiles, again almost blinding me, and says, “I know a little how you feel. It is not my birthday, but my best friend stood me up too. We were supposed to go shopping together, but had a family commitment that came up. My name is Vicki, Vicki Langdon, by the way.”

I take her outstretched, limp hand and lightly shake it, totally surprised. I timidly say, “My name is Gerry…McIntosh…” She smiles at me again and says, “It is nice to meet you, Gerry. I know this is a bit forward of me, but would you like some company for supper? I mean, I will pay for my own, of course! But, I thought since we were both stood up…”

I blush bright red and nearly faint. This Goddess was seriously asking me if it is OK to go to dinner with me. When the black spots leave my eyes, I stumble out, “S…s…sure. That would be great! And, don’t worry, I have Mom’s credit card…”


Fifteen minutes later, we walk towards the restaurant. I can see the surprise on Vicki’s face when I steer her towards the door…and I nearly stop dead in my tracks when first walk in. I now feel seriously underdressed. It was bad enough when comparing my nice, but fairly casual, clothing to the decked out clothes Vicki was wearing. Everyone in the restaurant is dressed much more like her than me, though.

I steel my resolve, walk up to the hostess and say, “We have a reservation for McIntosh.” She gives me a once over with a frown and smiles at Vicki. She looks at her book and says, “It says here it is for three? Is the other party coming?” I shake my head and say, “No, my Mom couldn’t make it…it will be just the two of us.” I can tell she is a bit perturbed, but nods and says, “Follow me!”

She takes us to a fairly secluded table for two. I am not sure if it is because she thinks we are an item and want privacy, or because she wants to hide me. Before I can sit, a waiter comes over and pulls out the chair for Vicki and spreads the napkin on her lap—then does the same for me! Another waiter comes over and pours us some water from a silver pitcher and hands us some menus. I nearly choke when I see the prices, but know that Mom had picked out this place and told me to have fun and not worry about the cost. She has a tendency to spoil me a bit since Dad died when I was five… That and I think she feels guilty about having to work so much…

The waiter takes our drink order and scurries off. I look at Vicki and smile ruefully. I say, “Well, if I had known, I would have dressed better… I am sorry if I embarrass you…”

She giggles and says, “I can’t believe you brought me in here. I have been a few times with my parents and it is really good. But, I can’t let you pay for me.”

I shake my head and say, “Nonsense! Mom told me not to worry and was planning on paying for Dan anyway. Err…Dan is the friend I told you about…”

She nods and says, “I figured. Anyway, we will talk about the bill when it comes. I don’t mind paying, though, really…”

When the waiter comes back with our drinks he asks if we are ready to order. I have barely had time to look at the menu and am about to say that I need more time when he says, “We have a wonderful three course special for two tonight that would be perfect for the two of you. It is only two hundred and fifty dollars…”

I barely hear what he says after the sticker shock, but when he is done, Vicki looks intrigued. I ask her, “Does that sound OK to you? It sounds great to me!” I really had no idea what it was, but I didn’t want her to feel guilty about ordering anything.

She looks at me with a little funny look and then says, “It sounds wonderful. Are you sure?”

I nod and tell the waiter that we will have the special. He smiles and takes off.

Vicki says, “Are you sure your mother will be OK with this? I think I should pay my half. I am not comfortable with you paying that amount for me.”

I say, “If you insist, I can’t stop you, I guess. I wish you would let me pay, though. It would make me feel better. I mean…well, I have to be honest…I figured that I would be sitting here alone—if I even came. Now, I am sitting here with the most beautiful girl in the world and, well, I am not used to sitting with any girl…other than my mother. Please let me pay? Consider it my birthday present?”

She laughs and says, “OK. If you are sure. I mean that is a lot of money, though… And thank you for the complement.” She gives me a genuine smile.

I say, “Oh, we would never spend this much on a meal on a normal occasion. I think Mom has been saving up for a while for this. She will be happy that I am able to enjoy it with someone.”

Then she says, “And why are you not used to sitting with girls? You are a sweet guy.”

I blush and say, “Well, I am…not the manliest of guys…and…if you haven’t noticed, I am a bit overweight… I…umm…well…I would never have the courage to even talk to you, let alone ask you to have dinner with me.”

The waiter brings our salads as she gives me a serious look. She says, “Those are just external things…and can easily be fixed. It really is what is on the inside that counts—I should know. My Mom is Sherri Langdon.”

I give her a blank look. She obviously expects me to know the name. I say, “I am sorry…I guess I should know who that is? Is she a super model?”

She laughs and seems genuinely intrigued. She says, “It is so refreshing to find someone who does not know her. She is one of the most famous cosmetic surgeons in the country. Trust me when I say that two hundred and fifty dollars is nothing for a meal for her… She can make anyone look like a million dollars, but that does make them act like a nice person. She always says that I am some of her best work…”

I nearly choke on my water and then she winks… It takes me a minute, but then I get it. I say, “Oh! It is a joke…she means you as in ‘you’—not any kind of surgery…”

She smiles and says, “Most people don’t get it… No, she has never used her knife on me. My father, on the other hand, has done considerable work…”

I raise my eyebrow and she laughs. She says, “My parents are a strange couple, but I love them dearly. My mom is a very renowned plastic surgeon and my dad is…”

I blurt out, “Oh my gosh! Don’t tell me it is Bill Langdon? The Bill Langdon…the awesome tattoo guy?”

She laughs and says, “So, I see you have heard of one of my parents anyway… How do you know my dad? He is not anywhere near as well-known as my Mom…”

I shake my head and say, “He did a tattoo on Dan’s dad… So, you have a tattoo?”

She smiles and says, “Several, but those are not for a first date… He also has done all of my piercings… Some of those are not for first dates either…” She giggles when I blush.

The rest of the meal flies by. I do my best not to fall for this Goddess, but she is so easy to get along with. I know I should not stereotype people, but I would have put her squarely in the ‘stuck-up-bitch’ category before this. Now I am wondering how to ask her out on another date…

up
367 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmmmm

An unusual start. I wonder where this journey will take us.

Joanna

Very interested to see where this goes.

D. Eden's picture

Interesting combination of parents, not to mention it's a bit strange that a father has given his daughter tattoos and piercings which she can't show on a first date. I'm not sure I would be comfortable with the fact that a father is doing things like that in obviously intimate areas to his attractive daughter.

Anyway, this could be an interesting setup for the future of the story - a plastic surgeon and a tattoo artist who does piercings. Hmmmmmmm..........

Wonder how that could apply to our main character, lol.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

LOL, it was not meant to

LOL, it was not meant to imply they COULD not be shown...she was just being a tease--but I can see how you could interpret it that way. ;)

As for the rest, I take the fifth! *GIGGLE*

A great start

Bobbie Sue's picture

I think that is a good start with lots of potential. Let's see where it goes. And, welcome back from the summer.

Hugs

First date

Rhona McCloud's picture

and I guess the beginning of a lot of firsts. To take this unlikely pairing and get me to suspend my disbelief and take them so far in such a short time is a real achievement Shauna. I look forward to more.

Rhona McCloud

Thanks, Rhona!

Thanks, Rhona!

I hope I can keep it up. :)

HUGS!

A most interesting way to

A most interesting way to introduce a possible birthday present to Gerry later down the road as they become better friends. Hummm, will Gerry become Gerri? I wonder.

A great start to a new story

I have no idea where it's going, so that's a plus.

It's really neat so far.

I am glad you like it!

I am glad you like it!

Thanks for the comment!

HUGS

I'm love'n this story

OMG, Let's have a second date then, I love ink on a beautiful canvas ! Maybe we can get matching tats?

Karen

Giggle

Just keep reading. :)

HUGS!
S

Never been a fan

of Tattoos. especially regards toward myself.

I don't have any either...

But it seems to be pretty much normal anymore...

HUGS!S

Because of a cheap plastic bag

Jamie Lee's picture

That fact Gerry told Vicki why he's feeling down, opening up to a total stranger, shows he's not as much of a clod as he feels. Yes, he doesn't fit the mold others use as a measuring stick, but as that crummy plastic bag showed when the handle ripped, the outside doesn't always show what's inside.

Vicki seems to be a very down to earth person, despite her moms' or dads' reputations. She also isn't hung up by the wrapper surrounding the person, an attitude which may put Gerry at ease when with her.

Something which might have escaped Gerry's attention, though he was thinking about it. Vicki mention 'first date' twice, while Gerry was thinking 'a date'. Maybe their wires will finally meet somewhere in the middle.

Others have feelings too.