Melanie's Story -- Chapter 23 -- Making Acquaintances

Printer-friendly version

CHAPTER 23 -- Making Acquaintances

So far, I hadn't made any friends of my own. I mostly just knew Teresa's friends. Usually, you make friends at school, but there wasn't any chance to hang out there except for lunch, and everybody seemed to have their own group there. I could have tried sitting with a different group from Teresa's, but I was still afraid of people being mean to me.

I tried joining the chorus, like Teresa, but there wasn't much free time there, either. Actually, for a while, we had less. The chorus director was shocked to discover I couldn't read music and made dire comments about schools in the West End not teaching children how to read. I couldn't just stand next to Teresa and listen to her because she sang soprano and I got put in the alto section. So Teresa had to spend what little free time we had left in the evening teaching me the alto parts and also to read music.

So the people I got together with on weekends were all Teresa's friends. Not that they were bad. They were fine with me hanging out with them on weekends, usually at somebody's house or other. They knew my story, though maybe not the worst details, but didn't act like it made any difference. As far as they were concerned, I belonged.

One thing, though: they didn't think much of my choice of clothes. "You need to come up with a look, at least one," they'd say. "You look like you just picked up the first thing you saw at the mall." So much for Teresa's and her mother's efforts at shopping for me. Especially, they thought I could look prettier if I paid more attention to how I dressed. I explained that I wasn't sure I wanted to be pretty. A part of me still thought of myself as a boy, and boys aren't supposed to be "pretty."

"That's pretty stupid," one of them said. I think it was Ellen Gundersen. "What's the matter with looking pretty? Do they think their penis will fall off if they do?" They all cracked up at that. They seemed to think the word 'penis' was the funniest thing they'd ever heard. I couldn't help thinking that my penis had as good as fallen off, even without me trying to be pretty, but I decided not to make a stink about it. "Besides," she added in a sly voice, "maybe if they were pretty, they'd get further with us girls."

One thing they did get me to do was to get a haircut. They all had different ideas of what I should do with it, from getting a 'butch' cut to growing it down to my waist. My aunt took me out one day and, with Teresa's advice, had my hair trimmed to a page-boy cut that was fairly feminine but still wouldn't have looked stupid on a boy.

Anyway, one day they were digging through our closet to find something for me to wear, and they ran across a petticoat on Teresa's side: one of those net things that makes a skirt pouf out.

"What's this?" someone asked.

"That's a petticoat I picked up at a thrift shop," answered Teresa. "It's short enough to fit under my school uniform, so one day last year, I wore it to school."

"Did you get in trouble for it?"

"Nobody said anything. I think a lot of people could tell, but it wasn't showing, so it didn't count as 'visible underwear.' I did have to work to keep it from pushing my skirt up too far when I sat down. It was fun. It spiced up the day. I should really wear it again some time."

"Maybe it will spice up Melanie's wardrobe. Come on, Melanie, try it on." They talked me into putting it on under the boring skirt I was wearing and pronounced it "spicier." Then they had me take the skirt off and put my school jumper on over it. They decided that was good, too. When they got bored with having me model it, the girls who were wearing skirts wanted to try it on, too.

They were still going through the closet, and they found the blue dress. When they found out it was for me, they all insisted that I put it on. "Hey, we finally found something that looks good on you," they said. They got me to walk around the house and show it off to my aunt and uncle.

"You should wear it to church tomorrow," said my aunt. I gave in, and said I would. After the girls had gone, I looked at myself in the mirror for a while. Part of me really liked looking like this. The haircut was a little boyish for the dress, though. Maybe shoulder-length hair would be better. I was lost in thought when Teresa came in. She came up behind me and gave me a gentle hug, then started fussing a little with the dress, arranging things.

"It feels funny," I said, "having someone else doing stuff to me. You know, putting your hands on my clothes and my hair. I know you're not doing anything to hurt me, and it feels nice, but it's not what anybody would ever do when I was a boy. Except my mom, when I was a lot younger."

"Girls do that all the time with each other. Grown-up women, too. It feels friendly, I guess. And since we can't see what we look like to other people, and we want to look our best, we do things like that for each other. Like, I don't do make-up much, so when I do, I get another girl to do it for me. By the way, do you want to go to Youth Group tomorrow night?"

"Can I go and not answer lots of questions about my past? I've been trying not to think about who I was and what I went through, it makes it easier to deal with all the, uh, stuff that's going on right now. Actually, I'd rather not talk much at all, just listen and enjoy being there. Like how I used to be when your friends came over."

"I think so. We can talk it over with the youth pastor tomorrow."

I did wear the dress to church the next day, and nothing awful happened. A few of the grown-ups complimented me on it. We talked with the youth pastor, Reverend Jennifer Smallman, and she said she'd try to get the other kids "to give you some time to open up."

Youth group was in a room in the basement with old couches and overstuffed chairs and a ping-pong table. I wore the blue skirt and a blouse, and I was more dressed up than most of the kids there. Teresa and I and one other girl were the only girls wearing skirts. When we got there, two boys were playing ping-pong, while a boy and a girl were figuring out what kinds of pizza to order. Everone else was sitting or lying sort of draped on couches or chairs. They reminded me of a bunch of cats, the way they were in each others' laps or leaning on shoulders. After Teresa introduced me, I found an empty chair where I hoped I wouldn't be the center of attention. I tried to sit so I wouldn't flash anyone, but Teresa and the other girl in a skirt didn't seem to care. Sometimes they'd shift position and their underwear would show, and sometimes they'd move or pull on their skirt, and sometimes not, and nobody seemed to care.

After they called the pizza order in, Rev. Smallman, who everyone called "Jen" or, if they wanted to be formal, "Reverend Jen," got us all to sit in a circle and so a sort of introduction game, where we'd say our name and one good thing that happened since the last meeting. When it was my turn, I told how I'd gotten switched to a more advanced math class. Then Rev. Jen introduced the topic: how we feel about people's differences. We did some brainstorming, and then the pizza came, which we ate in the next room, which had tables and chairs. Teresa sat with me, and a boy and the girl with the skirt and another girl sat down with us. They asked about school, and I told them I'd transferred to Gabriel from West High. They were blown away. The boy said, "wow, that must take some getting used to! Going from Animal House to the nerdiest, most uptight school in town." It turned out the boy and the first girl went to Greenwood, so they started talking about the reputations of all the schools in town, which meant they didn't ask me any personal questions.

The second girl was pretty quiet, so I didn't find out until weeks later that she was the only other kid there who didn't go to Greenwood. Her name was Amy and she went to Hollingsworth, West High's big rival, not that I cared about that stupid rivalry. Once I got to know her, I discovered we had a lot in common: we liked the same music, we thought the same things were funny. We even liked the same pizza toppings: anchovies and onions. But that was a long time later.

After pizza, there was some discussion of a planned camping trip, then a game that involved people getting up and running around, then some discussion of the topic. Some people had guitars and we sang some songs. We finished up with mutual shoulder massages and lots of hugs. It didn't seem so bad.

up
199 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Okay...

I know I may be repeating the comment I made last chapter, but I really hope Melanie/Martin doesn't go full girly. In your blog post you said that this story would be an "anti-trope" and that it wouldn't be one of those stories where the protagonist realized that being a girl was better than being a boy, even though it wasn't their choice. I know that this is your story and I shouldn't tell you what to write, but that comment got me interested in the story.

Again, just because Melanie was turned into a girl does not mean she is not still Martin mentally. You said prior, genitals does not equal gender, and Melanie is really a FtM transsexual. Melanie only decided to come to school as a girl because she felt it would be less complicated than going as a boy. So I thought she would be pretty much acting like a tomboy since, once again, mentally she is still Martin. In fact, Teresa said that at the school they wouldn't care how she acted and that Melanie could continue acting like she did when she was Martin.

So I have to admit that I was concerned the future of this story when in this chapter Melanie said that she liked looking pretty and even wanted to grow her hair out. Yes, as the other girl said there is nothing wrong with a boy looking pretty. However, this is something that Martin would never think and it goes against the notion that Melanie is really a boy trapped in a girl's body. Maybe she is just trying out new things she could never do as Martin, but the more thoughts like this she has the more it begins to feel like all the other TG stories where the hero ends up acting completely feminine, even deciding she likes it better than being a man.

I want Melanie to be the person she truly is inside and not what others expect her to be. I don't want her to being thinking like a girl because that would change who she is and effectively "kill" Martin. I want her to still mentally be the boy she was before. In real life FtM transsexuals can't change who they are inside. I hope that at the end she doesn't become a girly girl.

Again, there I know this is in the end your story and that I, or anyone else for that matter shouldn't tell you what to do. Is just that based on your previous comments I had become interested in this story, and I would hate to see it lose it's uniqueness. I know that there probably is a long way to go and that I may be jumping to conclusions. I don't want to seem like I am attacking you. If I have offended you in any way above I am truly sorry. But I felt that I just had to say something about the way I felt the story was heading. I hate to see Melanie at the end being stereotypically girly and loving shopping and wearing dresses and heels. I don't want Melanie to lose the Martin inside.

Who is the "real" Martin/Melanie, anyway?

Sort of disclaimer: I didn't really plan this story; I just came up with the set-up -- average male schlemiel gets turned into girl by accident -- and kind of made it up as I went along. Most of what I say about it is my thoughts and reactions after writing it.

So I thought she would be pretty much acting like a tomboy since, once again, mentally she is still Martin. ... So I have to admit that I was concerned the future of this story when in this chapter Melanie said that she liked looking pretty and even wanted to grow her hair out.

Who Martin is at the beginning of the story is in part what people expect him to be. He has an idea of what boys are supposed to be like, and he frequently expresses it in those terms -- he doesn't say "I don't want to be pretty," he says, "boys aren't supposed to want to be pretty." Now he's in a situation where what he is expected to be is quite different. To what extent is his not wanting to be pretty because he thinks he's not supposed to want it, and how much is how he'd feel anyway? What does he turn out to want once the expectation is removed?

She also wants to fit in and feel normal. The people who have accepted her think it's normal to want to look pretty, so she has an incentive to at least look like she wants to be pretty, even if we assume that, left to her own devices, she'd not bother.

Melanie is in a different environment from what Martin was in, but she's also going to have different experiences because she's seen as a girl. (Julia Serano's Whipping Girl goes into this.) She's facing different pressures and has different options. These are going to affect what she likes and dislikes, but also how she sees herself.

As for my blog post: I don't think I ever said that Melanie would never feel that she was better off being a girl. (I'm not saying she will, either.) What I was trying to say was that just because she had a different body didn't mean that she was going to instantly jump into being the way girls are expected to be (which is the trope I was thinking of.) That always seemed unrealistic to me. But it seems equally unrealistic to suppose that she won't ever do or want any "girly" things.

Sorry if I misread your previous statements.

First off, the comments I made were early in the morning before I went to work when I just wanted to write down the thoughts that were in my head at that time before I left. So I apologize if I sounded overcritical or confrontational.

I guess I just looked at your past statements and made an incorrect assumption about the story. For example, in your blog post about TG tropes you stated that Martin
"never expresses any desire to be a girl and most definitely did not want the transformation.".

Also, I read on the Chapter 16 comments were you replied to Dahlia post that "she is no longer Martin" with

"Why do you think he is no longer Martin?

His body has changed, but then, if having a penis doesn't mean you can't be a girl, then why would having a vagina and breasts mean you can't be a boy? Isn't the point of "transgender" that one's gender has to do with how one sees oneself (e.g., identity) and not with one's genitals (or chromosomes)?"

When I read these comments, I took it to mean that at the beginning of the story Martin was not a MfF transgender, and that is gender identity was that of a male. So when he was accidentally transformed, he in affect became a FtM, or a man trapped in a woman's body. From this I incorrectly assumed that this would be a story were Martin would end up living successfully as a girl, but still consider his gender identity to be male. Melanie would not act stereotypically girly, but rather become a tomboy and not follow the expectations of those around her.

In the previous chapters I thought his assumption was being met. For example, when she sees the first psychiatrist, she angrily rebukes him when he suggests that she always wanted to be a woman (further suggesting that Melanie is really Martin inside).
She selects girls clothes that aren't overly girly, and only wears a skirt because its more comfortable than pants. She likes it when her parents still call her Martin, even though she also considers it strange. She tells the school interviewer that she may still really be a boy inside, and tells her current psychiatrist that's she is afraid of losing her true self. She gets a haircut that isn't too feminine

The reason she decides to attend school as Melanie and not Martin is because she thinks that it would be easier for everyone to think of her as a girl. She even tells her aunt that she doesn't really want to do it, but that it would be more complicated to attend school as a boy. So her decision to be a girl at the school is a survival tactic, she doesn't want to be harassed like she did at West High. This is also why she wants everyone to see her as just a girl and accept her. She's doing this not because she wants to, but because she wants to avoid a repeat of what happened at West High.

So after reading all this, it was a surprise to me when Melanie stated that she liked wearing the dress, she liked looking pretty, and she wanted to grow her hair out. This went against my assumption about the story being about a boy turned into a girl that refuses to act like one. However, I know realize that my assumption was a faulty one and that you never made any definite remarks about the story or Martin/Melanie. So I'm sorry if I got upset for something that may have never existed.

I know Melanie will have different options and experiences than Martin, and may want to try new things. I just hope that unlike some stories she doesn't see herself as 100% female at the end of the story. These stories have, as you put it, an "always was a girl" bias, even though the protagonist might not think that right away. Here though, its implied that when Melanie was Martin he did not feel like he was really a girl at all. So it is more likely that Melanie is a FtM. So even though she may want to try and enjoy certain activities that are not usually for boys, I think it would be realistic at the end if she considers herself 100% female, as deep down inside she is still Martin.

I look foward to future chapters. Thank you.

John "Joan" Williams