Rules Are Rules: 40. The Most Quiet Place

Printer-friendly version

"Hey, I wanted to ask you guys," I said. "Do either of you read any girls' magazines? You know, like Cosmo Girl or Elle Girl or—"

"Or Barf Girl," Carla interrupted. "Pull-eeze! Are you serious?"

Rules Are Rules

40. The Most Quiet Place

 


Part 40
 
On Monday at lunch, Eden said, "What's with you? You've been dragging around all day."

I told her about my stomach.

"Maybe it's your appendix," Carla said. "That's what it felt like when I had mine taken out."

"No," I said, "it's my stomach."

Carla shrugged and pushed some more food into her mouth.

"Hey, I wanted to ask you guys," I said. "Do either of you read any girls' magazines? You know, like Cosmo Girl or Elle Girl or—"

"Or Barf Girl," Carla interrupted. "Pull-eeze! Are you serious?"

Eden smiled. "I don't get any of them. Right now I'm reading Healing A Princess. It's a good story." She sipped her drink. "Why are you interested in those magazines?"

"Oh, I don't know." I said. "I feel like I ought to be reading one, but I don't know which one to choose."

"Why don't you ask Cassie?" Eden said.

"She'd just laugh at me," I said. "But I guess I could try. She'll tease me anyway."

"She's like your big sister," Carla said. "Big sisters are a big pain. But seriously, don't read those magazines. They soften your brain."

I shrugged.

"Oh, look," Eden said, gesturing behind me. "Jerry's arguing with the cafeteria monitor."

I turned, and saw him. He had a newspaper in his hand that he was trying to show her. Finally he got her to look at it. She laughed and waved him through. He walked up to my table.

"Gah!" he spat. "I have to get special permission to talk to you!" Then he smiled, and I could see he wanted to kiss me.

"The monitor's watching," Carla cautioned.

"Look," Jerry said. "I had to show you this." He spread the paper on the table. It was the sports section from the Globe, and on the front page was a big color picture of the two of us at the mall — me in my Dodgers shirt and Jerry in his Giants shirt.

"Oh, how sweet!" Carla said. "Look at the caption: Love Conquers All. Ha!" She laughed, and Eden went on to read the rest. The caption gave our names, our school, and said that our "affection for each other doesn't interfere with allegiance to our teams."

"What a hoot!" Carla crowed. "How lovey-dovey!"

"Anyway, it's a nice picture," Jerry said to me. "They are good colors on you, even if it's the wrong team."

"Aww," Eden cooed.

"That's enough," the monitor called, and Jerry went back to his table.

"Who are you calling?" Carla asked me, as I dialed my cell phone.

"My aunt," I said. "I want to see if she can pick up some copies of the paper."


My aunt and I took off after dinner. I was still pretty uncomfortable, but trying not to show it. Jane still put it down to nerves.

"Why do we have to leave now?" I asked.

"I've told you twice already," my aunt replied, a little impatiently. "It's a two-hour drive, and the plane gets in at six. So we either leave tomorrow at four AM or leave tonight and get a hotel near the airport.

"Your mother's landing in a little regional airport so she could get a low fare. That's also why she's on a red-eye. The overnight flights cost less. Your parents can't afford to be flying back and forth every time you get into something."

"Ha, ha," I said mirthlessly.

"Come on," she said, smiling, and we got in the car.

After a long, uneventful drive, we checked into a hotel.

I couldn't sleep much, and after several hours of tossing and turning, we dressed, checked out of the hotel and were on our way to the airport. I looked like hell, and my stomach hurt more than ever.

"Now I'm starting to worry," my aunt said. "Once we pick up your mother, we're going to take you to see someone."

"Yeah," I agreed. "The sooner the better."

We had to wait near baggage claim. I sat down with my hands on my stomach while my aunt scanned the crowd. By the time my mother appeared, tears of pain were streaming down my face.

"Oh, honey, what's wrong?" my mother asked.

"You have to take me to the doctor," I said. "Now."

Aunt Jane ran for the car. My mother anxiously watched for her bags, and I stayed put, crying and clutching my stomach.

A woman from airport security sat down next to me and started asking me questions. Wordlessly I looked at my mother, who ran over to explain. The woman stood up, turned her back to us, and talked into a walkie-talkie. "Copy that," she said at the end, and turned back to face us.

"An ambulance is on the way. There's a hospital close by."

Aunt Jane pulled up outside at that point. She got out of her car, and immediately another security officer confronted her, telling her to move the car. I gestured with my head, and Mom told the woman, "That's my sister-in-law."

To make a long story short, Mom and I took off in the ambulance. Aunt Jane waited to pick up my mother's luggage, and one of the guys from the ambulance stayed to show Jane the way.

"It was nice of that man to stay with my sister-in-law," my mother commented. She had to talk loudly to be heard over the siren.

"Yeah," the medic replied. "I think he has a thing for her."

"Oh," my mother said, in an almost inaudible voice.


It turned out that Carla was right: I had appendicitis, and they operated right away.

I don't remember much of what happened once we got to the hospital. Maybe it was the anesthesia, maybe I just passed out. I remember someone saying, "Look, she's exhausted," and pushing my hair off my forehead. I remember my mother signing forms... I remember Aunt Jane and some guy... I remember looking up at faces in surgical masks... Someone asked me to count backward from 100. I got as far as 99.

The next thing I knew, I was in a gauzy, dimly-lit, but very white room. It was the most quiet place I had ever been in my life. A nurse came by and offered me some water. After I sipped a little through a straw, I asked, "Am I asleep? Is this a dream?"

"No, hon," the nurse said in a quiet, kind voice. "You're still feeling the anesthesia a little. Everything went fine. Soon we'll take you to your room and you can see your family."


The rest of the hospital stay was a blur. It seemed like we rushed out of the place. As soon as I got to my room, I saw that my mother had been crying, and Aunt Jane was angry.

A nurse and some other people in white protested, but Jane put me a wheelchair and pushed me to her car. There were lots of voices. It seemed as if everyone wanted to argue but were trying to be quiet at the same time.

I didn't understand... everything was still dream-like.

Mom and Aunt Jane filled the back seat of the car with blankets and pillows, like a bed. Someone with strong arms lifted me in, and I fell instantly asleep. I remember the car making some bumps and turns, and next thing I knew, I was waking up in my own bed at Jane's house, feeling very thirsty.

up
201 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I can only guess that

I can only guess that Marcie's little secret was revealed due to her emergency surgery and someone went all "fundamentalist" on her Mother and Aunt. Going to be an interesting "ride" with Mother being there now. J-Lynn

I hate to speculate,

Because I think that Kaleigh has this under control, but
I bet that once they noticed in the hospital, and then
someone linked it with the picture...

Poor Jerry and Marci.

I feel so bad for them, and hope I'm wrong. Some people
can be cruelest only when there is really no need.

Sarah Lynn

Yeah, Me Too

joannebarbarella's picture

My bet is that someone nasty has given our heroine a bad time.

Speculate?

Hmmm, the hospital staff are actually aliens studying the planet and have implanted her with nanites that will record everything. But since they were interrupted, they only got the first batch in place which will cause Marcie to develop weird powers when exposed to cell phone radiation. In the meantime, the government informant, trying to get closer to alien technology, has tried to start a relastionship with Aunt Jane for survaeillance purposes. Unbeknownst to anyone else, Dad is actually in the employ of a rival government organization and will shortly get new orders from Fearless Leader (tm).

Of course, this is Kaleigh's story and any which direction she takes it from here will be sure to be an adventure since, as can be told from the above snippet, I am no writer nor am I any kind of prognosticator. :D

Great job Kaleigh! You help me start my day with a smile on my face.

Diana

re: Speculate?

LOL! Thankyou. If you hadn't said it, I was going to. This sort of thing is now obligatory for each chapter of this story.

Don't tell me they..

Took the the bad thing on the inside AND the outside? That's too much for belief.

Nice to hear some young ladies thinking the magazines will turn the brain to mush. :-)

Too much for belief?

That's my middle name!

My parents were always saying, "I don't believe it!"

Like Victor Meldrew?

Work that one out if you can!

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

The Globe

Isn't that the local paper?

Why would a city 2 hours away have seen that paper?

I am sure it was the for the first reason, and if they pursue it, they could sue the hospital for not giving the proper medical treatment, even if Marcie is a pre-op TS. To let her go so soon is dangerous, she has left the hosptial before the anesthesia has worn off. Also having her stitches pulled, could have caused internal bleeding.

My son had his apendix removed in the morning, using the othoscopy method, and stayed overnight, before he was let go. But it was for observation to make sure nothing went wrong.

Well, it will be interesting to see what really went off, and the fundalmentalist idea is interesting, but don't forget this is in California, they seem to be more forgiving in that area of the country.

If it was Oklahoma or Kansas, I definately would say fundies, the religious right people there are very frightening. They honestly don't seem to care about compassion when it comes to alternate lifestyles. Love your fellow neighbor, as long as they believe in, and do, the same things you do.

Very well done Kaliegh, looking forward to your next installment.

hugs
Joni W

Oklahoma

Having grown up (mostly) in Oklahoma, and lived several places in Europe as well as traveling extensively across the U.S. and Europe, let me remind you that bigotry is not confined to the bible belt, nor is tolerance universal elsewhere.

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Marcie's Emergency Surgery

Just might cause ripples far beyond her school. It will be interesting to see what the outcome of her surgery are. Kaliegh, you have created a story her with all the fun and cliffhangers of my favorite series here at Big Closet.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

rules are rules #40

wow verry good i love this
whildchild

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

Painful Operation

Appendicitius is an evil pain that You described almost to a 'T'. For everyone it is different, with me the first symptom started at noon then by 7pm I was running a fever of 105 and still climbing. The bad part is that the doctors waited too long and it ruptured as they were removing it. Bad expierence....

Other than that this is turning out to be a great story and I can't wait for the next chapter

Hugs,
Jayme Ann

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

Not the Child Development Geshtapo !!

Gwen Your right, I don't know if I want to see the next two chapters. I love this story, but I just can't do this sad shit right now.
Gwen Brown

Gwen, Gwen, it's not sad!

Even if the Child Development Gestapo got a hold of Marcie,
some crazy funny thing would come of it.

Chapter 42 makes me cry, but it isn't sad.
It's scary.

But Marcie always comes through.

Lifestyle

While I know the comment that used the word lifestyle wasn't meant in a negative way, I just want to mention that being a transsexual is not a lifestyle; being a homosexual is not a lifestyle. While it could be argued that Marice is living a lifestyle choice if she is not a transsexual and just wants to play at being a girl for a bit; from the storey line, it is clear that Marice is a transsexual. You don't do the things that Marice is doing if you are a boy (boy is gender, male is sex parts; Marice is a girl, although she is male).

A lifestyle choice is deciding such things as to eat healthy foods, to wear a particular style of clothing, to live in a certain region of the world, to listen to a certain type of music, to drive a certain type of transport. Being homosexual or transsexual is something that is innate to our being that can not be changed even with electric shock treatments or isolation therapy (both techniques were used in the past without success).

re: Lifestyle

I used to concern myself with this sort of thing also, but eventually I decided that I wasn't going to argue about whether gender or sexuality is predetermined or not because it's not productive.

Even if the conclusion is that it *is* mostly choice (which most of us probably experientially know not to be the case) then it should *still* be respected and accepted. I know that, for me, the underlying motive to "prove" to people that it's all genetic has always been to 'trick' them into suddenly being tolerant...to suddenly realizing "oh! I should be understanding because these poor people have no choice!"

But then what I came to realize (or to simply acknowledge) over time was that humanity's capacity for ignorance and blindness is infinite, and no amount of debate will convince people of something they're set against. Irrationality stems from emotional thinking rather rather than rational thinking, so the only impact you can hope to have on people is an emotional one.

I think is productive

Also, very important if any real protection laws will happen in the states. The opposition to the protection laws speak often of life style choices. They speak often and loudly and it is important for those who know better to speak just as often and just as loudly so the lawmakers will hear them.

Words have power, just ask any of the writers here. Knowledge kept in silence can't be known.

Also

Debate is an important tool. Bills are first debated in the US Congress before becoming law.

One of the things...

One of the things I like about this storey is the bits that breaks down the stereotypical rubbish about what girls are suppose to be. A lot of these types of storeys will have someone telling the trans-girl/women that she is suppose to take small bites when she eats, she is suppose to take tiny steps when she walks, and all the other rubbish. While this is a funny, lighthearted storey, the little bit of things like this helps to make it so true as well.

The part about the girls magazines was priceless. "Oh, I don't know." I said. "I feel like I ought to be reading one, but I don't know which one to choose." "...But seriously, don't read those magazines. They soften your brain."

There's this little thing...

...called medical secret. The hospital isn't allowed to inform the outside world about what they learn from their patients. If they would violate that, Marcies parents could sue the hospital and the story being in the USA means the mother would be able to take more comfortable flights for the rest of her life among other things.

Of course this being fiction it could go anywhere at all. I'm sure Marcie wouldn't really mind too much if some doctor had decided to also remove that other undesired 'appendix' without approval.

BTW: "Healing a princess" ? Sounds like a bit of free advertising for the 'competition'.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

this comment in late 2013 --- a few yrs after most here :)

I was just sitting here reading comment section thinking how much has changed in 6 yrs when this storyline was posted. Facebook, twitter, smartphones galore, read a magizine on paper? HAH! read a newspaper SAME! yet through all the technogical advances of the past few years, Ignorance is a fact and reality. Yet, there are alot of break thru's for the GBLT community. and there will be more. Interesting times, turbulant times too, but, least it appears there's a softening towards us in meaningful ways that least I never would have believed.

I couldnt resist mentioning this.
8 gig harddrives VS 3 terabyte HD
My phone has more computing power than the desktop PC I used in 2008

LOL (smles)

i

Thanks for your comments, housmous

It is nice to see something new on these old stories.

Yes, technology has changed a lot. Recently I was fishing through some old boxes in the basement and found two boxes of floppy disks. Most of them I tossed, but one had a copy of my very first TG story. It badly needed rewriting, but its worst problem was that it was written before cell phones were common. A lot of the development of the story depended on the fact that people couldn't talk to each other at certain moments. Of course, there are ways around all that, but it made me laugh to see how differently things would turn out when a quick text would have resolved the situation.

And oh - my daughter, who usually has her iPad in hand, does subscribe to a womens magazine. She tried one of the teen ones mentioned in this article, but quickly got tired of it. But as plugged-in as she is, she does like getting the magazines in the mail.

Kaleigh

appendicitis

not fun, but better than a period

DogSig.png