Lady in Waiting Part 8

Printer-friendly version


Lady in Waiting Part 8

Charlotte.jpg


By Christina H

Set in the Napoleonic Period of the early 1800's a young boy with the help from his Mother takes the place of his twin sister and is brought up as a Lady of Quality Lady Charlotte Grenford this story follows her life as she learns everything she needs to know in the complex social world of this time.

After a nights sleep I lay in bed pondering mama in may ways she was a contradiction firm but fair, old fashioned but progressive.
Take last night no doubt the other ladies would have thought nothing to waking up their ladies maids to help them undress whereas mama thought about the well being of the maids and we helped each other undress.

Also mama insisted that I clean my teeth daily with salt and my finger. Normally people never cleaned their teeth. Another thing mama insisted on was that I chewed mint to freshen my breath.
The very worst thing mama insisted was that we bathed once a month and that when we bathed we did so undressed. This was very rare for others where some of the lower classes never washed in their lives.
Mama also insisted that we plucked our eyebrows though not as much as a harlot would. She also insisted that my armpits were trimmed of excess hair.

Mama was indeed an unorthodox Lady!

I rang for Anna when she entered she begged forgiveness for not being awake when I returned last night.
As she was very agitated I sat her down on the bed and told her, “Anna last night I could have woken you but it was so very late mama decided that you and Mary could sleep on.”
“But Miss” she started but I stopped her telling her, “Say no more Anna – now please fetch me some water for washing.”
She bobbed a curtsy and went to do my bidding.

While Anna was away I selected my dress for the day. I decided on a cream muslin dress with some frills around the hem.
The fullness of the muslin shift dress was first drawn together under the bust line with a girdle. The neckline was scooped and displayed my budding assets.
The small neat puff sleeves barely capped my shoulder’s and they were pulled back by the narrow cut of the bodice this restricted my arm movement to a certain daintiness.
Miss M arrived as I finished dressing Anna styled my hair in a bob at the back of my head fastened with tortoise shell combs and a braid of hair fell down my back.
We went downstairs and into the breakfast room. My brother Edward was already there. I went over and kissed him bidding him a good morning.

Getting my breakfast, which consisted of hot chocolate warm bread rolls with butter and a slice of pound cake. I joined him and started speaking about last night. He listened to my chatter with a gentle smile on his face as he realised that last night had been special to me.

“Your young man has arrived Charlotte” he commented. Then to my surprise he gestured to William asking him if he would join us.
While William filled his plate Edward said to me, “I hope you do not mind dear Charlotte he seems a nice chap I would like to get to know him better.”

I was wondering what was coming as this was most unusual as I was only 13 discussions with prospective partners do not normally begin until after the ‘Coming Out Ball’ when I would be 17!

But I think my fevered imagination was seeing things that simply didn’t exist.
Edward always was good at putting people at ease and he began with some gentle ribbing about the Senior Service versus the Army.

Then they got talking about Williams Regiment and their role and expertise. This seemed to put William at his ease and he answered freely and I will admit passionately. As for me I may well as not being there.

I was just starting to feel annoyed when Annabelle and Clarissa joined us. The gentlemen stood while my friends settled in but soon they were discussing Williams Regiment.
Edward seemed to have a real interest in the tactics.
So us three girls chattered away about last night, as I was still thrilled and excited.

Finally Edward and William stood as we three girls left to change into our riding habits. Edwards last words to William was, “Thank you young sir your thoughts were very interesting and I’m certain that when Arthur Wellesley gains full command your talents will be used to the full.”
“You are acquainted with him sir?”
Edward gave that gentle smile admitting, “I have met him and like his way of thinking – but acquainted no.”

As Edward escorted me to the stairs he said, “Your young man is very pleasant and would make a fine husband.” I gasped at this. Edward sensing my discomfort barked out a laugh saying, “Not yet dearest Charlotte you are far too young but maybe..........”
He left this hanging then kissing me on the cheek he commented, “And my dearest sister I would council you not to get too attached to young William as he really understates the danger of what his regiment undertakes.”

With that he left me in a quandary I resolved to speak to William while we were riding.
I went and changed into my floor length dark green riding habit it was designed for sidesaddle riding. I wore a white silk blouse with a tight fitting jacket of the same colour and material as my skirt. Once my dainty riding hat was in place I went downstairs and joined the others.

Our ride this day was wonderful we happily cantered trotted the men galloped but William and I mainly walked our horses with - but apart from the rest of the party testing the boundaries of the ‘not being left alone with a man’.
The others knew what we were doing but indulged us making sure that there were always two members of our party in sight of us.

William made light of the dangers in the army trying to ease my mind no doubt but I was still concerned.
The next day while the men went on a shooting party the ladies remained at home sewing and gossiping.
We three young ladies were taken on a carriage ride with Edward doing the driving even though he only had one arm he had adapted to carriage driving well and he was a good driver.
The Phaeton was a light four-wheeled carriage with open sides in front of the seats and was drawn by a single horse.
In the back it was really comfortable but a bit cold so we were well wrapped up.
We spent a wonderful afternoon blowing all the cobwebs away and ended up back at the hall fresh faced and rosy cheeks.

Back at the hall William was the centre of attention because for a 17 year old boy apparently he was an excellent shot partly due to the gun his papa had bought him it was one of the Baker Rifles that he used with his Regiment.
He basked in the glory as previously he had taken a lot of ribbing over his green uniform and his choice of Regiment.

I will admit that I basked in his reflected glory, as after all he was my companion that night I asked him about his shooting.
He told me that the quartermaster at Shorncliffe barracks (A certain Richard Sharpe) spent a long time teaching how to shoot accurately.
This quartermaster had started off as a rifleman rising to sergeant then he gained a battlefield commission for saving General Wellesley during the Battle of Assaye.
He had risen from the ranks. But somehow he liked William thus spending time with him probably because he recognized that one day he would make a good officer.

Soon it was time for us to return home I was really sad that we were going but I would see Annabelle and Clarissa at the end of April in London although I would not see William.
All our trunks were packed and I dressed for the ride home I realised that Anna had packed all my pantaloons that were one piece leaving me with some split leg pantaloons.
Anna laced me into my corset next my soft crinoline then Anna dropped my dress over my head.

My dress was made of the lightest lilac muslin and had a high neck with long sleeves the hem was scalloped and it was a sensible dress for travelling in.
My Cloak was a satin lined with the outside being wool it had a fur collar I had a matching muff to keep my hands warm.
Thick black Lisle stockings and cute little ankle boots I was ready to travel.

Edward, Mama and I said out fond goodbyes to our hosts promising to see them this coming season.
Us three girls said a quite emotional goodbye then it was William. Protocol demanded that apart from helping me into my carriage, while we were dancing or helping should I stumble he simply could not touch me.
So our good bye was somewhat stilted though he asked if he could write to me a request that I eagerly agreed to.

He then handed me into the carriage this is when fate in the disguise of a strong gust of wind intervened it got under my skirt and crinoline and blew them up and over poor William!
I was mortified and more than this when I felt the cool air between my legs I knew that William must have seen my little secret unless he was totally blind which he most certainly was not – I was ruined!

When my dress ballooned I was half way into the carriage so had only one hand free to try and tame my dress.
Luckily Annabelle was close by and soon my modesty was returned but the damage had been done!

With a flaming red face I composed myself and thanked William for his assistance.
I did notice that his demeanour had not changed he still looked at me with adoration (I think that is what I saw).
His last words to me were, “I’ll miss your company dear Charlotte but I will write soon.”

Then the carriage clattered away back home. I sat there in absolute terror not only would my reputation be ruined but mamas and Edwards.
William simply must have seen as these pantaloons parted near the top of the thigh leaving the groin area open to make it easier to use the closet.

We arrived home the next day having slept the night at a coaching inn that night I sent Anna to my luggage to find me a pair of closed leg pantaloons which she did then once I was ready for bed I burnt my open leg pair resolving never to wear this design again – but I fear the damage had already been done.

My life continued with me still being moulded into the perfect lady I was now accomplished on both the piano and harp though I will never be as good as Annabelle and Clarissa.
I could converse in five languages English, French, German, Spanish and Italian.
I had read some philosophy and some Shakespeare some of the modern novels.
I could converse on many subjects other than fashions and the latest fads – though I could also converse on these topics.
Knowing all the rules of etiquette and social graces I was now nearly the finished article – a young lady of breeding ready for marriage socially aware and perfectly behaved. Oh my what a waste I sometimes thought.

My first letter from William arrived by messenger some 2 weeks later. With a lot of trepidation I opened it to find a very loving letter William told me how much he missed my company, how much he thought about me and that he simply could not wait to see me again.
He had re-joined his Regiment and was busy training the raw recruits along. He also asked if I could have a likeness of me painted as he then could treasure my image.

I resolved to keep his letters safe so I purchased a jewellery casket. Asking mama about Williams request she smiled indulgently saying, “My darling I think we can do this for the young man – after all he has seen your legs.” The reference to the wind lifting my skirts caused me to blush but at least mama had consented to having a miniature portrait painted.

I wrote back to his telling him that mama had agree for me to have my portrait painted my letter was full of gossip and the everyday thing I was doing and also that I missed seeing him.

And so our relationship continued through the first part of the year regular loving letters.
As the spring approached Edward was getting quite frustrated, as he could not set everything up to practice painting. At home he had his easel permanently set up but he used to love going into the countryside to paint so I offered to go with him and help – an offer he gladly accepted.

So it was that quite often we would take the Gig and with everything fastened to the back we would set off into the country where we would paint.
Sometimes when the weather was nice I would take my small 19 string harp and played for us which Edward said soothed him.

We always took a picnic and had many a happy hour simply talking painting and playing my harp.
Sometimes mama would join us then it was a total family affair as mother was also an accomplished artist.

Soon it was time to go to London for the season April to July as usual our trunks were packed.
I was so excited I would be seeing Clarissa and Annabelle again as well as getting my portrait painted for William by a renown miniature artist Mr. John Cox Dillman.

I loved the journey down to London as we sleep at friends of my family the whole journey takes about 6 days but finally we were ensconced in our town house. The second day there we went to Lady Flitch’s house for tea and of course we three met up again it was wonderful to see my friends again we chattered away telling each other all our news since we had last seen each other all of 4 months ago.

Then the artist a Mr Dillman came to my house and I was introduced to him he seemed a nice gentleman and put me at ease I was told that it would take 8 days for the preliminary sketches and that when I sat I had to wear the same clothes and sit very still. When I looked dismayed at the thought of 8 days sitting still he smiled and told me that I would be sitting for an hour at a time then have 15 minutes rest.
Mama surprised me by purchasing a most beautiful gown for me to wear which made me look very grown up. It was a white silk dress, with a pink gossamer shawl to drape over my left shoulder.
I was to have pink rose at my corsage a pearl necklace with drop pearl earring and my hair in ringlets.

Historical notes about the hygiene habits of the 1800’s people could go from cradle to grave without ever immersing themselves in water. Many people believed that bathing was unhealthy and that soaking in water, especially hot water, would let disease enter the body. Even if you did decide to take a bath, you would not even have contemplated taking off your clothes – a habit that remained right through to the end of the 19th century! This is what made Charlottes mother unusual.
Deodorant was not invented until the 1880s, so most people were entirely comfortable with smelling like a goat most of the time.
The rich would try to hide this smell by dousing themselves in perfume. We all know that doesn’t work. Many Women did not groom their body hair.
Dental hygiene was little more than a toothpick and maybe wiping down your gums with a cloth and salt though toothpaste was available in the 1770’s it was not widely used.
Dining: meals as were served in this episode were huge extravagant affairs and example often starting with soup and various entrees - pigeons in white sauce, sautéed mushrooms or asparagus in breadcrumbs for example. The next course could consist of roast chicken, baked salmon, a venison pie, sweet and savory pastries and a number of sauces. The interesting thing about Regency dinners is that both sweet and savoury dishes would be served as part of the same course. It was only the last course at each dinner that consisted mainly of sweets, pastries, jellies, ices, nuts and fruit.
And finally drinking: - Water was not considered safe to drink and milk was for children or invalids. Tea, coffee and hot chocolate were popular drinks for breakfast time, though many men began the day with a tankard of ale and a plate of cold roast beef. Lemonade, orangeade or barley water were offered as refreshments during the day. And, of course, everyone drank alcohol - sometimes in alarming quantities. During dinner and supper numerous different wines (hock, champagne, burgundy or claret) would be served. After dinner men would drink brandy or port. Rum punch warmed you when it was cold outside. Various alcoholic mixers were served at dances and balls and along with sherry, Madeira and sweet liqueurs.

up
112 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bernard Cornwell

Methinks someone is a Richard Sharpe fan.

1800’s McD’s?

Rhona McCloud's picture

What did we eat in Charlotte's time? Even in my lifetime regular English food has changed enormously but please don't let Angharad read if Charlotte eats an edible dormouse - I just checked and Rothchild didn't introduce them until about 1902 but the Romans and maybe others might have brought them here earlier

Rhona McCloud

This is a good Question

Christina H's picture

In Georgian times the food was to our modern day tastes strange, here is a link to where I got some of my food facts from.

1800 Mc D's

I certainly would never upset Angharad it was the Romans that ate edible doormice the Georgians went for mutton, fowl and beef in great quantities also they used HUGE amounts of butter.

Christina

Dear William was probably so

Dear William was probably so shocked at being able to see her legs totally, that he probably did not even notice her little secret.
In that day and age, even showing just a little ankle was considered scandalous beyond belief, and the even lasted well into the beginning of the very early 20th century.
Am I correct in assuming that Richard Sharpe mentioned in the story line is the same Richard Sharpe of "Sharpes Rifles" fame; an Irishman who fought for the English and late made a real name for himself in France and Spain during the Napoleonic Wars?
As I recall, his small unit acted very much like modern day US Rangers or British Commandos on many occasions.
Also wore green uniforms (Irish influence).