Melanie's Story -- Chapter 10 -- Temper

Printer-friendly version

CHAPTER 10 -- Temper

I survived the week. I spoke to Teresa on the phone once, and texted her almost every night. I don't know what I wanted, maybe just to know that someone would talk to me and would return my texts.

I spent Saturday Christmas shopping. I went to a mall on the other side of town, to practice using the bus. It also had the advantage that I wasn't likely to see anyone from West High there. I wore the skirt with knee socks. I got called "miss" most of the time, but I ignored it. It was cold outside and, with just knee socks, my legs were numb by the time I got on the bus. Maybe tights weren't such a bad idea, after all.

I tried wearing tights the next day on my trip to Teresa's, and they were a lot warmer. I had to walk a mile from my house to the bus, wait for the bus, then walk a mile and a half to Teresa's. I was still cold, but it wasn't as bad as the day before.

When I got there, I went up to Teresa's room. We listened to music for a while, then Teresa asked me, "Martin, have you considered just living as a girl? Or at least trying it out.?"

"What do you mean?" I could feel the walls closing in on me. It seemed like everyone was calling me a girl, putting me down.

"It would be a lot easier. Maybe change schools and register as a girl. You'd still be the same person--"

I interrupted her. "What is this? Is everyone in league with the sex-change mad scientists? I'm a boy, dammit, but you and your aunt -- and the jerks in school -- you're all out to make me what I'm not. Like the guy in that story."

"Martin --" she protested, but I was really going now.

"Is that why you've been pretending to be nice to me? So you can get me to act like a girl? And maybe make fun of me then? You're trying to turn me into a giant cockroach! You and your aunt and uncle, you're all as bad as the kids at school!"

I was screaming now. And so was Teresa.

"You're awful!" she shouted. "You promised not to be mean to me and now you've broken your promise! You're just as bad as your brothers! I hate you! I never want to see you again!"

I could feel tears coming into my eyes. I grabbed my jacket and ran down the stairs and out the door. It was a lot colder, so I ran all the way to the bus stop. I only had to wait for about 10 minutes, so I didn't freeze.

By the time the bus had reached center city, my anger had cooled and I was beginning to feel like I'd been unfair. My accusations were ridiculous, I was just upset by the whole sex-change thing and had dumped it all on her. As we got closer to my stop, I was also realizing that I'd just driven away the only friend I had. By the time I reached my house, I felt like I was the one who was just as bad as the kids at school. I wanted to kill myself, I felt so bad.

In my room, I thought, well, you could at least apologize. Even if she never wants to see you again, at least you'll have done one halfway decent thing. I spent the rest of the afternoon writing a letter:

Dear Teresa,

I was wrong. I was unfair. Your suggestion was a a reasonable one, and I'm thinking it over, and even if I decide not to do it, I know you did it with the best intentions. I was just frustrated with lots of things, none of which are your fault, and I took it out on you. You've done nothing but good to me and I treated you like shit. I'm sorry. I don't deserve to have you forgive me, but I'll ask anyway. I'll do whatever you ask. But if you don't want to see me ever again, I'll understand. Whatever happens, I wish you the best. You deserve that much.

I went out and found a mailbox and mailed the letter. Then I came home and texted Teresa: "I was wrong. Please read letter."

At dinner, my dad asked Biff if he'd managed to get the boys to lay off of me.

"I tried, Dad. I really did. But they won't listen to me. Now they won't be my friends and they're harrassing me, too. I've almost gotten in a fight several times. I never realized what jerks -- total jerks -- they are. I'm not sorry for myself that they aren't my friends, but I'm sorry for Martin that I can't do anything for him."

My mom and dad got this empty look that really scared me. I think Biff and Pete were scared, too.

School was much harder to face now that I didn't have a friend in the world. I hoped Teresa would get the letter and at least know I didn't mean what I said. I didn't want to get my hopes up that she'd maybe forgive me. Monday, Tuesday went by. Wednesday night, I got a call. From Teresa.

"I got your letter," she said.

"I'm sorry I said those things to you. I was really a jerk. A total jerk."

"You were being a jerk, but I shouldn't have said what I did, either. I know you're under a lot of strain, and people who are under a lot of strain say things they don't really mean. I'll forgive you. But, please, try not to take things out on me. It really hurts when you do that."

"I promise. But I don't know how much my promise is worth now."

"It's okay. You made up for it with that letter. I have a lot of respect for a guy who'll admit he was wrong. One thing, though. You keep talking like being a girl is something horrible. But I'm a girl. Don't you think it's a little insulting to me, and my mom, and, well, all of us to act like it's the end of the world? Think about it."

I said I would.

"Now that we've got that out of the way, do you want to come over Saturday? I still need to do some Christmas shopping and would love to have company."

"I'd love to. I've taken care of my family, but I'd like to get stuff for your parents and I could use your advice."

The rest of the week of school was almost tolerable. Nothing had actually changed at school, but Teresa was back to being my friend.

up
241 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

loving it

Dahlia's picture

Thanks so much for the story. It is well written and we'll thought out.

Dahlia

Great chapter

Bobbie Sue's picture

The outburst was on target and the apology was so real. And the story line is very good, too. I look forward to the next chapter.

Small portions but nice tale. Poor Martin

The school refuses to help. The school councilor was not only unqualified to help but referred him to a possible pedophile! The hospital is incompetent. Mom and dad are almost worse.

I am guessing the bus stuff is so Mom need not be embarrassed by being seen with "the freak".

Dad is useless. Took the Aunt, his sitter , prodding him big-time to lay down the law on Martin's nasty siblings.

His relatives, in particular the cousin are his only source for real help and comfort.

Rampant speculation on my part ahead!

There might be a silver lining in all of this. The doc said they can't do a second treatment to change him back to male. And that the transformation to female is incomplete, at least in the people they have treated so far. IE no womb or ovaries.

But they said this was experimental, pre FDA approval so likely few have had the procedure. And I assume all were adults.

Have they ever done it on a person this young?

Could she become a complete, fertile woman?

IE are all the necessary bits there or will be created due to the treatment and his/her relatively young age?

If not she will be an fair approximation of a woman but barren and from his response so far likely feeling at odds with his apparent sex for the remainder of his/her life.

BTW he was supposed to get the brain treatment. Yet nothing has been said lately that indicated Martin having trouble academically.

Did the accidental DNA SRS treatment repair, even improve his injured mind?

So many ways this can go.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Medical Stuff

Here's my thinking on the medical stuff. I'm not an expert, this is just my way of making the plot holes not be plot holes.

  • The brain treatment: Martin got a bad concussion. (Note: always wear a helmet if you're on a motorcycle. Or bicycle.) The effects of a concussion are pretty unpredictable. Someone might suffer nothing more than a headache and dizziness for a few days, while the same concussion might produce noticeable long-term impairment in someone else. So the idea that Martin might be able to do schoolwork 2 1/2 months after a serious concussion with current-day treatment is not all that hard to believe. The brain treatment was supposed to reduce the likelihood of long-term damage and speed the recovery. If you reread the chapter 2, you'll see that he didn't recover as fast as they expected, which we can assume was because he didn't actually get the brain treatment.
  • The "SRS" treatment: the human body does not have the capability of regrowing limbs -- or of changing sexes. (Some animals do.) So there's no SRS/limb replacement program to trigger or reuse; those treatments have to build that capability mostly from scratch. For SRS, the genital reconformation would be one (fiendishly difficult) "program" to write, but it wouldn't be an enormous stretch if you already know how to regrow limbs. Creating ovaries, Fallopian tubes, and a uterus from scratch would be a completely different story. So, no, I don't see Martin becoming a fertile female.

Of course, both treatments are so far beyond anything science can imagine today as to be practically magic. It's conceivable we might be able to do something like that a few centuries from now. To me, the real "suspension of disbelief" lies in accepting that anything like this would be possible in a future near enough for daily life to be pretty much like today's.

As for Martin dealing with being a different sex: that's kind of the point of the whole story. I think my subconscious motivation for writing the story was to deal with my own growing realization and often reluctant acceptance that I'm trans. It's like what's happening to Martin's body is what's happening to my mind. I've never had the "I am a woman" feeling. I've just been noticing a growing urge to do things or a desire for things that society sees as "girly" or "feminine," and am having a harder and harder time ignoring my deep-seated alienation from pretty much everything that society calls "male."

*smacks*

Alecia Snowfall's picture

*smacks the kudo button*

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

She has

a lot of courage and it shows. After all apologizing does take a lot of courage especially admitting ones own fault or mistakes.

Vivien