Melanie's Story -- Chapter 4 -- The Bad News

Printer-friendly version

[Note: Cautions, themes, etc., apply to the entire story.]

CHAPTER 4 -- The Bad News

When we got there, the doctor -- Dr. Newcomb -- ushered us into his office. He must have been really somebody, because it was big and carpeted and had lots of mahogany and leather furniture. I didn't know if this was how he always looked, but he looked nervous and sweaty.

"I'm -- I'm not a neurologist. I'm the director of research for what is usually called 'gene therapy' here at the University. We've been working with other gene therapy groups on techniques for regrowth -- and corrective growth."

My parents looked as perplexed as I felt.

"One of the uses is regrowing lost limbs, or correcting congenital defects. That's still experimental, but we all hope to have it FDA approved in a few years. Our work here is more experimental. One group of patients we work with are people with gender dysphoria." He must have realized we had no idea what he was talking about, because he tried to clarify it. "You know, men who feel they're a woman in a man's body, and vice versa? The usual treatment is sexual reassignment surgery. We're trying to do it using gene therapy techniques."

"And what does that have to do with Martin?" my father asked.

"One of our subjects was in the coma ward at the same time your son was. We're still running tests to be sure -- by the way, Mr. Rawlings" -- here, he looked at me -- "could you stop by the lab on the way out and leave us another blood sample -- but we think that whoever was actually doing the work, taking samples and injecting the material mixed up our subject and your son."

"You mean, your guy got the brain drugs and our son got the sex-change ones?"

"Essentially, yes."

My father looked stunned. We all did. Then he sat back and said, very quietly, "then you've got to fix it."

The doctor looked even more nervous and sweaty. He'd been sitting with us, like it was a social visit, but now he got up and stood behind the desk. "I'm afraid that isn't possible. I'm sorry." He rushed ahead. "Once the genes have been delivered to all the cells, there's no removing them. Maybe we could have done something if we'd caught it, say, a half-hour after the vectors were injected. But now it's too late."

My father isn't the rant-and-rave type, so he just stared at the doctor. Finally he said, "don't you have a treatment to turn women into men? Couldn't you use that?" My dad is pretty smart. I'd never have thought of that.

"Unfortunately, we can't do a second gene therapy -- any kind of second gene therapy. For some reason, the two therapies interact, and you get bad results. We've tried it in animals, and the results were hideous."

"So I'm going to -- turn into a girl?" I sputtered.

"Externally, yes. You'll develop a normal-looking clitoris, labia, and vagina with a cervix, but there won't be a uterus or ovaries behind it. There's a gland that puts out female hormones, so you'll have breasts. We've even developed an approximation of female sexual response."

I could see that my parents had mentally checked out. Any kind of discussion of sex made them uncomfortable, I'm sure that hearing about the sexual parts that their son was in the process of growing was tripping all their circuit breakers. I was still thinking, "this isn't real, I'm going to wake up and it was all a bad dream." Except I knew it wasn't.

up
262 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good chapter!

Wouldn't changing your genes change all your genes?. I mean, there aren't inside and outside genes. If this therapy was gonna make you a girl on the outside, it would have to make you one on the inside too. I could be completely wrong about this, or it could be a suspension of disbelief thing. Sorry it just struck me and I had to ask. Can't wait for more.

nomad

It's phlebotinum

It's definitly one of those "don't ask too many questions" things. Plot hand-waving. Or, as tvtropes.org calls it, phlebotinum. The only real departure from the "real world" character of the story.

FWIW, I imagined that the phrase "gene therapy" was the popularized but rather inaccurate and oversimplified term for what it was actually about. But I didn't want to go into any detail, for obvious reasons.

I agree with nomad it should

I agree with nomad it should change all of you.
I can see a lawsuit coming from this total screw up

umm sorry

I've really been trying to get into this story, but the chapters are so short and disjointed I just can't follow it. You're a very good writer, but this story just doesn't grab me, Arecee

Me sorry too.

I'm sorry, too. I hope you'll find my future stories more to your taste.

Actually

NoraAdrienne's picture

Dad and mom need to get back into the conversation. Their next remarks should cover the number of attorneys they'll be contacting and how much this research group is willing to shell out for screwing up the kids life.

Now that would have been great,

getting an injection and thus not having to have had surgery! Dang! Oh well, I'm all done now anyway lol!

Vivien

There should be two questions

There should be two questions/statements by his parents: 1 concerning getting the brain drug at this late time and 2, getting a lawyer to sue the hospital fro gross negligence. I'm still disturbed at letting him anywhere near gym class after such a horrific accident. it almost surely would not have happened.