Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2728

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2728
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

“You’ve eaten all the ice cream.”

“What all of it?” Trish didn’t appear to believe me.

“Yes, all of it.”

“Even the tub in the other freezer?”

“There isn’t one in the other freezer, that was it, the one you finished yesterday.”

This borders on negligence,” she said as if preparing to bring charges.

“I didn’t eat it, you lot did.”

“It’s our job to eat it yours to buy it, Mummy.”

“Sounds like I get a bit of a raw deal,” I replied to our resident genius.

“Not my fault, you chose to keep us.”

“Hmm, perhaps it’s time to get rid of the old ones and get some new ones,” I said as a joke of the lead balloon sort.

“You’re gonna get rid of us?” she gasped tears dribbling down her face.

“I could, but only of the moaning variety,” I continued never learning from my past mistakes.

“Do I moan, Mummy?”

“What was that about ice cream?”

“Oh it doesn’t matter, Mummy.”

“I’m glad we agree on something.”

She rushed off and a while later Meems appeared. “Is you gonna get wid of us if we compwains?”

“I could do couldn’t I?”

“Don’t get wid of me, Mummy, I wuv you,” she clamped on to my waist as if she was frightened a tidal wave would wash her away.

“I love you too, Meems.”

She was sobbing as she pleaded with me not to get rid of her. It was then the penny dropped and I felt about two inches tall. Oops, didn’t quite describe the calamity I’d created for myself this time around.

I took her hand and we walked up to their bedroom where Trish and Livvie were crying and packing. “What are you doing?” I asked.

“You said you were gonna get rid of us,” was sobbed at me.

“I was joking.”

“No you weren’t, you said you were going to get some new children because we moan too much.”

“It was a joke,” a rather bad one.

“I didn’t mean to complain about the ice cream, Mummy, don’t get rid of me.” In seconds I had three sobbing children pleading with me. I hugged them and realised rather late how vulnerable they all felt. How stupid can you get—or should I say, can I get.

“Look, all of you, I’m not getting rid of anyone—okay? You are all staying here as long as you want—do you all understand?” That was pretty categorical, the only problem was they weren’t operating on reason or listening, they were all on emotional wavelengths—running on fear.

I was so glad Hannah and Danni had gone out for a walk with the baby and Cate. I don’t think I’d have coped with more than three of them in such distressed states. It was an hour before they calmed down enough to listen to my assurances that they could all stay with me because I loved them all.

Then, making them all wash their faces, we went off in the car to the nearest supermarket and bought two tubs of ice cream—perhaps bribery would work where words hadn’t. By the time we were home the others were back, so most of the first tub was consumed, helped by Stella and I having some as well. That’s the problem with having a large family, it’s like a swarm of locusts—of the ice cream eating variety.

“What got them all upset?” asked Stella.

“I rather stupidly said I was going to trade them in for less complaining children.”

“Oh, really clever stuff.”

“I realised that as soon as I said it,” okay, it took a bit longer than that but she doesn’t know it, does she?

“What possessed you to say it?”

“I was a bit miffed with Trish suggesting it was my job to buy ice cream and hers to eat it.”

“Sounds about right to me,” she replied.

“I don’t know why but it just caught me on the raw and I said perhaps I should swap the older kids for new ones.” She looked at me as if I’d just confessed to killing dormice. “It was a mistake, but I did it.”

“Mistake—that’s putting it politely...”

“I know.” I felt bad enough with three sobbing kids, this took it to a new level of torture.

“You know how sensitive they are—they’re every bit as bad as you are when you think someone is questioning your femaleness.”

Oh shit, that bad? “I tried to tell them I love them, what else can I say?”

“Want me to speak to them?”

“Is that going to make any difference?”

“I don’t know, but at least I’m trying to help.”

“I realise that, Stella, and I’m really grateful.”

“You don’t sound it.”

“I am, but I’m also disgusted at my own stupidity, but have no one to blame but myself.”

“Oh look out, world, Cathy’s going to have a major guilt trip—don’t try and stop her, she loves every second of it.”

“Oh don’t, Stella. I said I was sorry.”

“Wait here, I’ll go and talk with them.” So that’s what I did, waited for big sister to go in and convince them I was an idiot and really sorry for pushing their buttons. She was gone about twenty minutes, returning as the rain splashed against the windows—this is supposed to be summer. The weather seems as out of kilter as everything else.

“Right, they understand it was a joke that went wrong and have accepted a thousand pounds each and tub of ice cream every day, plus they expect you to do their homework for them and they want to watch Game of Thrones, on satellite.”

“What?”

She roared with laughter, “The look on your face was priceless.”

“Gee thanks, Stella.”

“Look, I explained it was a mistake and that they’d all still be living here when they were sixty and you’d be ninety four and still messing everything up.”

“How can I be thirty four years older than they are, I’m not thirty two yet?”

“Dramatic licence, don’t complain I just saved your bacon.”

“And they’re ten years old, so I’d only be eighty four when they were sixty.”

“A mere detail.”

“I’m a scientist, we deal in details.”

“Cathy, you take everything too literally.”

“Now you sound like Simon.”

“I’m his sister if you can remember that far back.”

“Nothing wrong with my memory.”

“Except you can’t remember how upset these kids get when you pretend to ditch them.”

“All right point taken.”

“Good, just remember and learn from it.”

“I will, I never want them to feel unwanted, we all love them.”

“I know, they know too it’s just now and again they wonder if it’s all going to go pear shaped, remember they have experience of being dumped or abused or both...”

“I promise they won’t ever feel like that in this house.”

“Even in jest?”

“Not even in jest.”

“Well done, sis.” We hugged.

“And, Stella...”

“Yeah...”

“Thank you.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
264 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Brain Farts

can happen to anyone, anytime. Cathy's have an off week methinks.

Sometimes you say something,

Sometimes you say something, and realize - a little late(r) - what an utter fool you have been. It's not what you exactly meant to say, but more of what you said, and how it can/may be interpreted. Like mrs. Hynde said according to the Sunday Times: “If I’m walking around in my underwear and I’m drunk? Who else’s fault can it be?,”

In the interview ( http://www.thejournal.ie/chrissie-hynde-sunday-times-2300882... ) I read, she says a little before that, she's blaming herself for being stupid and naive to allow a gang of bikers to take advantage of her, and "takes full responsibility"

I can understand her, I don't agree, but can understand her.

So when I read Cathy's 'joke', the first thing that came to my mind, was "Ut Oh".. When I read Stella's referral to Cathy's recurring self-doubt - time and again - I thought 'yes. Like that."

It's to illustrate how life-like I think your EAFOAB stories are, you continue to immerse little hiccups and thought provoking things like this that bring the story to life. Still.

In a way I hope you never stop writing these gems, you still have me completely enthralled.

Regards,
Jo-Anne

On this one Cathy should have known

that the girls have their insecurities. They've demonstrated it many times. Shame on you Cathy.

Been there

Dahlia's picture

As a former foster child I know how unsettling it can be to not know when you can be booted from stability to have to start over again. Even in jest the idea can be devastating to hear since it is always a dagger over your head knowing you have no rights or control in your own life.

Thanks again for another great chapter.

Dahlia

“Wait 'til your father gets home.”

Rhona McCloud's picture

I love the way Cathy stumbles through life just like the rest of us. I notice she has not yet used the classic “Wait 'til your father gets home.” - I suspect the thought of Simon acting the ‘heavy’ with the girls would reduce them to giggles!

Rhona McCloud

Been there

It's far to easy to think one's family is going to change their minds and dump you...

Oops, Talk about

putting your mouth into gear before engaging your brain, Cathy messed up big time here , Luckily she realised pretty quickly and tried to rectify the situation , Not easy when you have scared your children in such a way, Thankfully Stella was there to sooth ruffled feathers and all ended pretty well, If nothing else this short episode just goes to prove that where children are concerned you need to watch what you say , Children tend to see things very much in black and white, What Cathy said if spoken to an adult would have been seen for what it was an attempt to make the culprit feel guilty , Trish may be a child genius but in many ways she is still a little girl What happened this morning just proved it ...

Kirri