Michelle's Story - Part 9

Printer-friendly version

Michelle's Story - Part 9

The weeks are passing by and the weekend stay with their cousins is drawing closer. But while Michael looks forward to attending a birthday party as a princess, he helps his friend Robert by just providing him with some much needed company. Meanwhile, 2 more girls are let in on his secret.

This story will continue in the cross-over chapter: Jessica's Story - Part 15/Michelle's Story - Part 10

Michelle's Story – Part 9

As March approached, Michael and Emma were starting to count the days down to their cousins' birthday party. For Michael, it was a good distraction from the problems he faced concerning his friend Robert. But even so, those problems wouldn't go away.

“I'm not sure what is going on.” said Robert one day. “My parents are now living apart, but me and my sister are still at home with dad.”

“If you stayed with your dad, you wouldn't have to leave here, would you?” asked Michael.

“No, I wouldn't.” said Robert. “But my dad isn't confident. He thinks mom will get things her way and we'll have to go to another school.”

“I hope you don't leave.” said Michael. “You're the only friend I have here, apart from my sister.”

“I really hope not.” said Robert. “You'll have to sit at another table.”

The tables around the classroom were of varying sizes with a varying number of chairs. It was clear that those that sat together were friends. Michael and Robert sat at one of the smaller tables, and though there was room for at least one more, no one did.

Michael looked at the other tables and noticed that those with boys were filled. One table did have a spare chair – the one where Amy sat.

“There isn't anywhere else to sit.” said Michael, deciding that tables where girls sat were not an option.

“Pity.” said Robert. “But if my dad gets his way, I'm still going to be here.”

Unlike the divorce that saw Anne break up with her husband Adam, the one involving Robert's parents was destined to take longer to resolve.

In the case of Anne and Adam's break up, their children were decided on which parent they wanted to stay with. Robert and his sister Tina, were not. They didn't want their parents divorcing, full stop.

In honesty, they didn't mind living with their mom, but the problem was that it meant leaving school, and more importantly, friends behind.

But with the divorce still not resolved, and looking unlikely till April, Michael could at least have Robert's company for the next few weeks.

At home, he continued to find solace in the ability to let his inner girl roam free. He certainly wished that his wig was really his hair. He still needed help putting it on, with the hair net required to stop his own hair getting caught.

“If your hair is this nice when long, you'll be a very pretty girl.” said Liz, who was becoming a mostly full time resident on the couch.

Liz was almost 7 months pregnant, and that meant her bump was weighing her down and forcing her to spend a lot of time seated. With no one available to help with the housework, except John who did it when not at work, it came down to the midwife to arrange for someone to come and help.

Marian, the local midwife, worked at the local hospital but did house calls too. She had been in the job for years and her experience showed. She had delivered all of John and Liz's children to date.

“Thanks for doing this.” said Liz.

“No problem.” said Marian. “Not much you can do in this state.”

“I have the experience.” said Liz. “3 times before.”

“Been a while since your last one though.” said Marian. “6 years ago, am I right?”

“Yes. Michael turned 6 in November.” said Liz.

“Had a little bit of a problem at first with him. But it worked out in the end.” smiled Marian.

“He was a difficult birth, but as you said, he came out fine.” replied Liz. She didn't want to bring up Michael's gender problem.

“So, no difficulties concerning the toilet?” asked Marian.

“None.” said Liz. “The commode comes in handy.”

“Ok, I'll be back in a couple of weeks.” said Marian. “Don't hesitate to call if you need anything.”

“Thanks for arranging the help.” called Liz as Marian made her way out of the house.

Liz wondered about what Marian had said about Michael's birth being difficult. It had taken a while for him to make his entrance into the world, but he had arrived.

* * *

The home help arrived the next day and did all the housework for Liz. She even came back in the evening to help cook meals for the family.

She was a middle aged woman called Judy. She appeared to have plenty of experience in her job and didn't seem phased by the arrival of the children after 3:30, after their day at school. The only thing that did puzzle her was how Michael swapped his school uniform for a dress and wig.

“Your son does this all the time?” asked Judy, looking perplexed.

“He's transgendered.” said Liz. “He wants to be a girl, and in the privacy of this house, he can be for now.”

“I see.” said Judy. “Don't think I've met someone like him, though I've heard of them.”

“Well, he usually plays with his sister every afternoon.” added Liz. “He's no harm to anyone.”

The children were curious about the new daily visitor, but having being told what she was here for, they left her alone mostly. They did try and talk to her, but children were not her strong point and she tried to ignore them if possible.

As well as playing with his sister, Michael was now discussing the situation with Robert on a regular basis. Despite his parents reservations, and reluctance to let him go to school as Michelle prior to September, Michael was still hoping that he could change their minds.

Of course, if Robert didn't leave school, then he could wait till September. But with Robert's fate still uncertain, Michael was continuing to worry.

For the past week, he and Emma had been given a tube of lip gloss to practice with. It was the type that was made for young girls, and the siblings took it in turns to apply it to each others lips. Liz had taught them how to apply it, and it had gone on from there. They usually went downstairs to get her judgement on their handy work.

James was never any bother to them. He had his own pastime: playing on the DS console that he had been bought for Christmas. He had recently been bought the latest FIFA game, and he was seeing if he could take Newcastle to the title.

“And I've looked at all the other tables in my class and the only spaces are at tables where girls sit.” said Michael to Emma. “And one is the table where Amy sits.”

“Amy has said that you can sit by her if you wish.” said Emma. “She doesn't bite.”

“I know she doesn't.” said Michael. “She's a good friend. All the girls are.”

“And she knows that you are a girl inside.” continued Emma.

“But her friend doesn't.” said Michael.

“We need to tell her.” said Emma. “If we have to, our friends and I will be there to help explain.”

“Do we have to?” asked Michael.

“She needs to know that you really are a girl instead.” said Emma. “It can't be much fun being stuck in a boy's body.”

“It isn't.” said Michael. “I just wish that thing would go away.”

He pointed between his legs. Emma gave him a sympathetic look and took him in a hug.

“You are my little sister and I love you very much.” said Emma.

“I love you too.” said Michael.

* * *

The weeks leading up to the weekend at their cousins were ones which Michael didn't want to forget. Robert was not taking chances on whether he would be leaving or not, and so spent each day as though it were his last. It did mean one thing, and that was Michael having to spend some afternoons at home, as himself.

Robert had been allowed to visit Michael over the next few weeks, and fortunately for Michael, he did say when he was coming over. That at least prevented Robert from catching him dressed as a girl.

During these visits, Liz and John wondered if it would be a good idea for Michael to come out to Robert. But Robert was still showing the stresses that had been born of his parents' eventual divorce, and so, Michelle was never introduced to him.

“It's nice of you to come over.” said Liz. “We're hoping you don't leave school.”

“Thanks Mrs Brook.” said Robert. “I hope I don't.”

Robert and Michael were sitting on the floor playing with Michael's Ben 10 toys, which were getting used for the first time in a while. They were also watching a few episodes too on Michael's DVDs. They took a break when Liz decided to watch the 6:00pm news.

These visits from Robert did please Michael in a way, for he enjoyed his friend's company. But even so, he still preferred to play with Emma.

Emma was feeling the effects too. She understood that Robert was Michael's best friend, for she was well aware of it from school. But games in her room were not as much fun when done alone. She missed her sister on these days.

Robert would stay for a few hours after school before going home for dinner. As soon as he was gone, Michael quickly went to change into Michelle and was soon keeping his sister company.

Weekends were different. Robert came round and spent much longer at the house.

“I hope I get to come here more often.” said Robert. “If I end up with my mom, I won't be able to.”

“I'll miss you.” said Michael.

“I'd miss you too. I just hope it never happens.” replied Robert, even though he didn't sound convincing.

It was the final weekend before the party with their cousins. Michael couldn't wait for it, but for now, he was faced with boredom. Robert had agreed to watch the football on television with James, which Michael still showed no interest in. What made it worse, was that he couldn't spend time with Emma either. There was always the chance that Robert might come upstairs to go to the toilet, and that meant the chance of Michael being caught in girls clothing.

To solve the problem, and let Michael play with Emma anyway, Liz decided that they should remain downstairs and have a game of snakes and ladders. It certainly did solve the problem, especially as Robert went to the toilet after all, during the half time break.

The playing of snakes and ladders went on for a while, as one game in particular saw every one getting caught foul by the longest snake on the board more than once. After climbing the board for the umpteenth time, the game was eventually won by Emma.

As was now the case, Judy came round in the morning and evening to do the housework, as well as help prepare dinner. Robert stopped for dinner that day, going home shortly afterwards. He had been in a better mood late in the day, as was James, for they had seen Newcastle rout their opponents.

* * *

The next day at school, Robert was too busy with his work to take notice of Michael. As a result, Michael's eyes drifted towards Amy's table.

Amy had her back turned, so didn't see him. Her friend Becky, who sat opposite her, caught his glance and made it known to Amy.

“That Michael is looking at you again.” she said.

“Oh, is he?” said Amy. She turned and smiled at him.

“Do you like him?” asked Becky.

“Yes, as I said, I'm friends with his sister.” she replied. “If I could, I'd let him sit with us.”

“But, he's a boy.” said Becky. “You can't have boys sat with girls.”

“Why not?” replied Amy. “He's no harm.”

“Boys don't sit with girls.” said Becky.

“They do at dinner.” said Amy.

“Ok, but they're usually brothers and sisters.” replied Becky.

Amy knew that Becky needed to become aware of what was going on concerning Michael. She decided to bring it up during morning break. Becky usually hung around with her older sister during breaks.

“Emma. I think we need to tell Becky about Michelle.” said Amy.

“I think we do, too.” replied Emma. “What makes you want to?”

“Michael was looking over to our table again. I just mentioned again that Michael is a friend because you're his sister. I then told her that I'd let him sit at our table.” said Amy. “But she came up with the boys don't sit with girls bit again.”

“But Michael isn't a boy.” said Lucy. “We know that.”

“Does he want to sit by you sis?” asked Jenny.

“He does.” interjected Emma. “Remember that his friend Robert might be leaving.”

“Oh, of course. You mentioned it the other week.” said Jenny.

“And how is telling Becky going to help?” asked Maddy.

“My brother has decided that should Robert leave, he wants to come to school as Michelle.” said Emma. “But my daddy wants him to wait till September.”

“What for?” asked Lucy.

“Someone might recognise him.” said Emma.

“So, why tell Becky?” asked Maddy.

“If it helps convince her to allow Michael to sit with us.” said Amy.

“I think we should.” said Emma. “Michael and I were talking about it the other day.”

“If it helps Michelle, I say yes.” said Lucy.

They decided to do it during dinner break, but due to Becky and her sister being too occupied in the dining hall, the time to have the talk had to wait.

Emma decided to have another word with Maddy on the way out of school.

“Our next get together at our house is likely to be without Michelle.” she told her friend.

“How come?” replied Maddy.

“Robert has been coming round a lot of late.” said Emma. “He doesn't know about Michelle.”

“Shame.” said Maddy. “You're going away this weekend, aren't you?”

“Yes. Michelle and I are going to a birthday party. Princesses only.” said Emma. “We're both looking forward to it.”

They both went looking for James and Michael before heading for June's car.

At home, Michael was off to get changed.

“Robert isn't coming over today.” he told Emma. “So I can be your sister.”

“Good. I've got something to tell you.”

* * *

“Ok sis, what is it?” asked Michael as they entered her room.

“Well sis.” said Emma. “We're going to be telling Becky about you.”

“Will that be ok?” asked Michael.

“We just need to tell her that you are really a girl.” said Emma. “Amy told me that Becky doesn't want boys at her table. She thinks that by letting Becky know about the real you, she'll change her mind.”

“I hope so.” said Michael. “Pity I can't be there when you do it.”

“We hope so too sis.” said Emma. “You've got friends, so why shouldn't you sit with them.”

The next day, the plan to tell Becky was put in action. Amy told her that morning in class that she and her friends wanted to speak to her during morning break.

“What for?” she asked. “It's not about him again, is it?”

She looked in the general direction of Michael.

“So?” said Amy. “It is important.”

Becky looked at Amy and saw that she was serious.

“Oh, ok.” she said. “Just to please you.”

Amy met up with Emma and the others in their usual spot during morning break.

“Did you ask her?” asked Emma.

“Yes, but she guessed it was about Michael and didn't seem keen.” replied Amy.

“Don't say she isn't coming over?” asked Lucy.

“She is.” said Amy. “Here she comes now.”

“She had to bring her sister too.” sighed Maddy.

Sure enough, Becky was accompanied by her older sister. Her name was Louise. They arrived among the group and Becky seemed eager to get this over with.

“Ok, you're eager to tell me something about Michael. That there is some reason to why he should sit at a girl's table.”

“Well, if you put it that way.” said Emma. “But I want you to swear with your pinky first.”

“And if Louise is going to be listening in, I say she should take the oath too.” said Maddy.

“What's all this about?” asked Becky. “Why the pinky swears?”

“Because what we are about to say, we want you to keep it secret.” said Jenny.

“So, there's something about your brother that we mustn't tell?” asked Louise. She sounded more curious than her sister.

“Just hold your pinkies out.” said Emma, now offering hers.

Amy stood behind Becky to check that she hadn't got her fingers crossed behind her back.

“Don't say anything!” said Amy. “She's crossing her fingers.”

Becky just sighed and put her spare hand at her side. Louise was more obedient and kept her spare hand at her side.

“Ok, Becky and Louise, do you swear to tell no one about what we will tell you, for fear of eating poo and having wee in your hair?” said Emma, harking back to the oath her friends had taken.

“And we'll do it.” said Amy into Becky's ear.

Becky looked horrified, but agreed to the oath. Louise seemed a little put off too, but agreed also.

“Ok, well, now that you've agreed to tell no one, here's what you must know. My brother is one of us.” said Emma.

“What do you mean?” asked Louise. Becky looked confused too.

“My brother wants to be a girl. He plays with me in my room at home.” said Emma. “If he sits with you, you'll really have another girl with you.”

“You don't mean it?” said Becky. “Your brother is a sissy?”

“Actually, it sounds quite fun.” said Louise, now getting a look from her sister.

“But it depends on whether his friend leaves.” said Emma.

“This would be better used if we spread it round the school.” said Becky. It gathered dark looks from everyone, including her sister.

“If you do, I'd be careful about your school dinner.” said Lucy.

“Shepherds pie would taste nasty with poo in it.” added Maddy.

“You say anything and you'll get all my poo for a week in your mouth.” said Jenny.

Becky considered this with a look of fear. Her sister Louise also showed fear at this.

“Alright, I won't tell anyone, but why tell me?” asked Becky.

“Because my brother is coming back in September as a girl.” said Emma.

“That would be interesting to see.” said Louise. “But I'm starting juniors next year.”

“And that means I want him, I mean her, sitting by me in class next year.” said Amy. “And we need help keeping his secret secret.”

They soon noticed Michael close by, but with Robert along side him as usual.

“Don't go up to him now.” said Emma. “Robert doesn't know. He mustn't know.”

“I wonder what he looks like dressed as a girl?” asked Louise.

“Like a girl.” smiled Emma. “He absolutely enjoys it.”

* * *

There wasn't any question now that Becky and her sister were keen to get information from Michael himself, but they found it difficult, if not impossible, with Robert following him around like a shadow.

“How do I get round to asking him questions if Robert is around him all the time?” she asked Amy during class.

“You can't.” said Amy. “They're best friends. Without each other, they have no one.”

“I want to see him dressed.” she said in a whisper.

“You'll have to go round to his house to do that.” said Amy.

“When?” asked Becky,

Se didn't get an answer as the teacher called for their attention.

After school, Becky and Amy walked down the entrance path together and were soon joined by their sisters.

“So, what is the problem with Robert leaving?” asked Louise.

“His parents are divorcing, from what Emma is saying. Just don't mention it to him.” said Amy.

“Oh.” said Louise solemnly.

“And if Robert is forced to leave, Michael will have no friends to speak to except us girls.”

They were soon joined by Emma. She was intending to meet up with her own siblings but thought it best to have a word with Becky and Louise first.

“So, this is why you want him to sit with us?” asked Becky.

“More or less.” said Amy. “He just wants to hang out with other girls.”

“Emma, is there any chance of us coming over to see him dressed up?” asked Louise.

“I don't know. Robert has been coming over often of late. I'll have to ask Michael first, as he knows when Robert is visiting.” replied Emma. “You might have to wait, but now you know, it would only be fair to let you meet my sister.”

“Well, see you tomorrow.” said Amy. “Coming sis?”

“Right behind you.” said Jenny.

Emma was also on her way and met up with James, Michael and Maddy.

“Becky knows, as does her sister.” said Emma to Michael and James.

“Is she ok with it?” asked Michael.

“So far. But if she goes back on her oath, I'm not flushing my poo down the loo.” smiled Emma.

“You should flush the toilet.” said James. “Mom says so.”

“Not when Becky will be having it for lunch.” said Emma.

James just winced.

“We told her that if she broke her promise, she would be eating poo.”

“Michael, you see what type of person you going to become?” asked James. “Force feeding someone poo!”

“Oh, and what about threatening to put a spider in my hair?” asked Emma.

“I didn't though.” said James.

“You threatened to do it though.” added Emma.

“Oh, ok.” said James.

“I think Michael is making the right choice.” said Maddy. “Who wants to be like you?”

“I'm just grateful to be a boy.” said James.

“Anyway, back to Becky.” said Emma. “She wants to meet Michelle.”

“Oh, Robert is coming over later.” said Michael.

“I did mention that problem. And tomorrow is definitely off” asked Emma.

It was Friday the next day, and a busy afternoon for Emma and Michael, with Aunts Sally and Anne coming to collect them that afternoon.

They were soon approaching June's car. All talk of Michelle ended here, due to June's continued opposition to Michael dressing up.

Upon getting home, Michael knew that becoming Michelle was not an option with Robert coming over. Though he liked Robert's company, he preferred being Michelle.

Part of the reason that Robert came over was to get away from the parents that were making his life difficult. To get away from the torment that the divorce had brought.

Judy was already at the house, doing some of the housework. Liz was sat on the sofa as always, but content.

“Afternoon you lot. Good day at school?” she said to them as they came into the living room.

“Robert will be here soon.” said Michael.

“Oh, ok. Just make sure he knows he can't come tomorrow.” said Liz.

Robert arrived after 5:00, having been home to change into casual wear.

“What we doing this afternoon?” he asked Michael.

“Watch more Ben 10 if you like?” replied Michael.

“Ok, but I wish you would watch something else.” said Robert.

“Boys, if you want to watch something else, you can.” said Liz. “We have plenty of DVDs.”

Robert found the DVD collection and looked through it. Michael went to look himself.

In the end, they decided to watch “The Incredibles” after Michael decided against one of James' Newcastle United season review DVDs.

James, once more on his DS, decided to stop in the living room as they watched it. He occasionally paused his game when they reached a good point.

After the film had finished, Robert went and started talking football again with James. Michael decided to put a Ben 10 DVD on after all, as he didn't want to join in the talk.

When the time came for Robert to go home, he asked Michael if he could come on Saturday.

“Sorry Robert, but Michael is going to a birthday party.” said Liz. “He'll be away the whole weekend.”

“For a birthday party?” asked Robert.

“It's a long way to go.” said Michael.

“What about tomorrow?”

“We're going after school.” said Michael.

“Ok, it will have to be next week then.” said Robert. “Well, enjoy your party. See you Monday.”

With Robert gone, Michael decided to make up for lost time as Michelle.

* * *

Friday came and Liz gave Michael and Emma words of advice before they headed for school.

“When you get back, I want you both to take baths.” she told them. “Your aunts will be arriving around 4:30, so you need to get ready quickly.”

When June came to the door to pick them up, Liz followed them and told Liz about them needing to be home quickly.

“You shouldn't be coming to the door in that state.” said June, noticing Liz's baby bump.

“I can manage.” said Liz. “I do climb the stairs to bed, you know.”

“Alright. You just take care of yourself.” said June.

At school, Michael was trying his best to concentrate on his work and not on the weekend away.

“This day is going to take ages.” he sighed, as he did some more maths work in his exercise book.

“You're looking forward to this party, aren't you?” asked Robert.

“Yes, I am.” said Michael.

“Is this family from Walsall?” asked Robert, who remembered that Michael's parents were not native to these parts.

“I believe so. My gran and aunts live there, plus my cousins.”

“That explains the weekend.” said Robert. “It is a long way from here.”

Even Emma was looking forward to the party, but at least she could talk more openly about it.

“So, it's just me and Michael, well Michelle, going.” she told her friends during morning break. “We'll be dressing as princesses.”

“I take it that Michelle is looking forward to it too?” asked Lucy.

“Of course she is.” smiled Emma. “The chance to feel really pretty. Any girl would like this.”

“So, which princess are you going to be?” asked Maddy.

“Belle.” said Emma. “And Michelle will be Cinderella. Everyone is going as princesses.”

“We've got to do this at our parties.” said Jenny, referring to hers and Amy's birthdays.

“We need to get home quickly so that we can wash and get ready.” said Emma.

“I wish I could go with you.” said Maddy. “I really am pleased that Michelle is getting a chance to be herself though.”

It was plain that Emma's friends cared about Michael and his desire to be a girl. The thing was that none of them knew that Michael wasn't the only boy attending the party as a princess.

The final lesson of the day was art, and with St Patrick's Day on the horizon, Michael and his classmates were asked to do paintings with an Irish theme. Rainbows, shamrocks and leprechauns were soon being painted. Their teacher had even put up drawings of a typical leprechaun for them to copy.

Michael enjoyed art and as is the case with activities you enjoy, the time you spend on them passes quickly. It did just that, and Michael was thankful in a way. After quickly washing his hands in the classroom sink, he got his coat and headed outside to meet with his brother and sister.

Emma and Maddy met him in the corridor however, and he followed them outside.

“Come on James.” said Emma under her breath.

“Here he is.” said Michael.

“Sorry, but had PE. Spent too long in the hall.” he panted.

“Come on.” said Emma. “Michael and I have got to get ready.”

They hurried towards the gates where June was waiting. June was unaware that James wasn't going to the party and that Michael was going as a girl. All she knew was that they were wanted back home as soon as possible.

Liz was doing her part to get things organised. She had got their costumes ready and in a bag. With Judy's help, she went upstairs and fetched two sleeping bags for them. The last items were the presents for Sandra and Jessica.

The children hurried through the door and put their coats away. They were soon in the living room and awaiting instructions.

“Judy will be giving you your baths. You can sit in the tub together.” said Liz.

“Can they fit?” asked James.

“They can.” said Liz. “Now, it's 3:40. Your aunts should be here around 4:30.”

Judy was already escorting Michael and Emma to the bathroom and helping them off with their clothes. The towels and talc were already at the ready, plus shampoo.

They sat facing each other, helping each other as well as letting Judy do some of the work. It took just over half a hour to get them washed. It was then a race to get them dried and dressed.

Emma dressed in her room while Michael got dressed downstairs. He needed help as usual from Liz with his wig.

The doorbell rang at 4:20. Judy answered the door to find two grown women that she didn't know.

“I'm Sally Brook. Is Liz home?” said the one woman.

“Let them in Judy. I've been expecting them.” called Liz, who had overheard Sally's voice.

“Hi Liz. You're getting big.” said Sally, giving Liz a slight hug.

“Hi Liz.” said the other woman. “Nice house you have. No John?”

“Not yet Anne. He doesn't get back from work till about 6.” said Liz. “This is Judy. She's been helping around the house while I'm like this.”

Anne and Sally introduced themselves to Judy before Sally in particular, was mobbed by two girls.

“Hi.....girls.” said Sally, nearly forgetting that there were now 2 girls in the house now.

“Well, this is the new girl?” asked Anne, now looking at Michael. “You do look pretty. My Jessica will be jealous.”

“I'll just tidy up the bathroom.” said Judy, not wishing to interrupt the discussion.

“Go ahead.” said Liz. “You're slightly early?”

“No complaints, even if it is by just a few minutes.” said Sally. “Ok, have we got everything?”

“They're ready.” said Liz. “Oh, girls, I've put a snakes and ladders game in the one bag. Something to do on the train. Sally, there are some sandwiches and bottles of pop in the fridge for them to have on the way.”

“Ok, I'll get them.” said Sally. “Oh, and by the way, I've got something for Michelle.

She produced from one of the bags, a pair of skin coloured pants.

“It's a gaff for you.” she told Michael. “Just like the pair that Jessica wears.”

“That's what Emma looks like between her legs.” said Michael with a smile. The others couldn't help smile at that statement.

“Are we going then?” said Anne. “There is a taxi waiting outside and we told the driver we wouldn't be too long.”

“Ok, just got to get the food and drinks.” said Sally running to the kitchen. “Say hello to John for me.”

“Will do.” said Liz.

“Bye mommy.” said Michael and Emma in unison.

“Bye girls. Take care, and be good to your aunts.”

* * *

Anne and Sally led the girls to the taxi that was waiting outside. They helped them in and put the bags on the floor by them.

“Ok driver. Back to the station.” said Sally.

“The next train back to Birmingham is at 5:30.” said Anne. “We need to get there quick.”

“I thought we were going to Walsall?” asked Michael.

“When we get to Birmingham, we'll get another taxi.” said Sally. “That will take us to Anne's house.”

The taxi soon reached the railway station and the two women and two girls were soon heading to the platform. Sally checked the timetables to make sure that the train was on time.

“Oh no. Delayed by 10 minutes.” she sighed. “It'll be around 10:15 when we arrive in Birmingham.”

“Ok, we'll just have to hang around for a short while. Still got a few minutes.” said Anne.

They looked in the newsagents on the station and bought a few magazines and comics. Michael wanted a Ben 10 comic, but seeing how he was dressed, Sally got him a girls comic instead. He didn't mind actually, and offered to let Emma read it too.

“I think we should get some more food.” said Anne.

“Ok, I'll get some crisps and cakes.” said Sally.

After getting some snacks for the journey, they headed for the platform. The train was already waiting there, but was not moving till the scheduled time, which was 10 minutes later than originally planned.

Eventually, they boarded and found some seats with a table between them.

“Well girls. It's a long trip.” said Anne. “We've done this trip once today.”

“And if you decide to fall asleep on the way, go ahead.” said Sally.

Sleeping certainly wasn't on their immediate to do list, and they moved on to something that was.

“I can't believe you used to be a man.” said Emma.

“Be quiet.” said Sally. “If we have to talk about that, please speak quietly.”

“But you don't look like a man.” whispered Michael.

“Which is something I take pride in.” said Sally in a low voice. “And you certainly don't look like a boy.”

Michael smiled and went to look through the window. They were still waiting to go. He and his sister had taken the window seats while Anne and Sally took the corridor seats.

Sally looked at her watch.

“Nearly time.” she said. “When we get to Anne's house, it will be long past your usual bedtime.”

“Well, heres your comics.” said Anne. She removed them from the plastic bag and handed them to the girls.

They had barely started reading them when a sudden jerk told them that the train was finally moving.

They read through their comics several times, including swapping, and doing the puzzle pages. They then enjoyed several games of snakes and ladders, before deciding to watch the scenery outside.

They stopped at a good many stations, including York and Leeds. Anne and Sally decided to spread the food out across the journey, to ensure that the girls never got too hungry.

“So girls, which princesses are you going to be?” asked Anne.

“I'm going to be Cinderella.” said Michael.

“And I'm going to be Belle.” said Emma.

“Sally, I think you've got an impossible task in trying to look prettier than these two girls.” smiled Anne.

“I'm not going to compete.” said Sally. “I've already lost.”

As the journey wore on, and the sky outside darkened, the girls did find themselves feeling sleepy. Anne and Sally didn't stop them when sleep got the better of them. They put their nearest arm around them and held them close. They even afforded to take a small nap.

They arrived at Birmingham New Street at just gone 10:10pm. Though a bus would have taken them to Walsall, there was the problem of having to catch another bus from Walsall town centre to the house. There was also the time to consider. It was far easier and quicker to get a taxi.

Anne gave the taxi driver her address after everyone had got in the back.

“Don't worry you two, when we arrive,we can have a drink and you can have a good nights rest.” said Sally.

“Is it far to go now?” asked Michael.

“Not far now.” said Anne.

For the taxi ride, the girls remained awake. The journey was still a fairly long one, at just over 5 miles. Any chances of seeing where they were going was thwarted by the night sky. The only light being provided by street lamps.

It was almost 10:45 when they pulled up outside Anne's house. For Michael and Emma, their gran and cousins were now only yards away.

up
80 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos