Lady in Waiting Part 6

Printer-friendly version


Lady in Waiting Part 6

Lady in Waiting part 1.jpg


By Christina H

This is a story set in the 1800’s about a family that has lost every family member except the youngest son and his twin sister. Then his sister dies of smallpox and he manages to persuade his mother to let him become his deceased sister.

It was now the summer of 1802 and the Treaty of Amiens had been signed and my second brother Edward was coming home as part of this treaty.
When he arrived we were all shocked at his appearance he had changed so very much.
Originally we had been told that he had lost a leg and was an imbecile. However when he got out of the carriage he had both his legs but was missing his right arm below the elbow and the right side of his face was horribly scared and he was blind in his right eye.
Apart from these monumental changes he was gaunt and grey looking apparently having suffered from prison fever. And much to our relief he most certainly not an imbecile.
The last time I has set eyes on Edward was just over three years ago even at 14 he was a bluff stocky lad with a devil may care attitude. He had always been a sensitive boy with a love of music and an accomplished artist.

When he descended from the carriage mama and I were stood waiting for him I was dresses in a pale lilac lawn Empire style dress with a round collar and loose sleeved that fell in delicate pleats around my wrists. I had silver silk stockings and my white pantaloons peeped out from beneath my dress.

As he stood there mama walked and hugged him close tears leaking from her eyes she managed to stammer, “My dearest son, welcome home thank god you are home and safe.”
As they hugged Edward tried to stop mama from kissing his ravaged face but mama was having none of it and gently kissed the scared and ruined face then she gently stroked the scars saying, “Edward do not be ashamed of your scars be proud of them you did your duty for your country.”

She stepped back addressed me saying, “Charlotte come and welcome your brother.” I was not as restrained as mama I rushed forward and flung myself on my brother taking lead from mama I kissed all his face.
He managed to withstand my assault and stood back remarking, “Dear Charlotte as impetuous as ever – and even more pretty than I remember.”

I blushed at this remark and stood slightly back from him; again the picture of a demure young lady. Edward looked at mama tenderly saying, “Thank you mama for not hating me for what I have become. Now where is Charles?”

Mama gasped and glanced at me to my mind the warm summer day had just turned colder. “You did not receive my letter Edward?”
My brother shook his head so mama recounted how Charles had died from the fever.

I felt wretched standing there listening to this untruth but this was how it must be. A tear leaked from his good eye but his response shook us all, “Perhaps it was for the best mama as he would have only have been sacrificed on the alter of this bloody war!”
He looked at me and continued, “You do not know how lucky you are to be born a girl sweet Charlotte you will never see the scenes such as I have seen.”

Mama protested, “But the wars over Edward the treaty has been signed.”
My brother gave mama his gentle smile answering, “Dear mama the treaty will not last Monsieur Bonaparte has great ambitions. England will have to fight again.”

So my brother was returned and was far from being an imbecile, which was good. But he had changed he now realised the fruitlessness of war and he hated the sound of gunfire. But as was his destiny he would do his duty for his country in any capacity he could.
When we held shooting parties he begged off attending saying he could no longer handle a gun or see to aim but he still entertained the parties and I am so happy to recount that heeding mama’s words he slowly ignored his ravaged face.

Edward was correct the treaty broke in 1803 and once again England was at war.
Shortly after the war recommenced I was doing my lessons with Miss M glancing in her direction I surreptitiously rubbed at my chest, which had been itching for a few weeks and now was driving me to distraction.
“Charlotte stop fidgeting a lady does not fidget.” Miss M snapped at me. “But Miss Martha my chest is itching it is driving me to distraction” I whined.
She looked sharply at me and putting down her embroidery said, “Come Charlotte to your room let me look at your chest.”

I stood and followed Miss M upstairs to my room. Once these she unfastened me from my dress then corset and told me to remove my chemise.
As I stood there dressed only in pantaloons stockings and shoes she gently felt my chest. As she touched my nipple it hardened and a gasp escaped my lips.
She looked sharply at me saying, “Tender Charlotte?” I nodded afraid of what she had found.
Miss M then rang for Anna and when she arrived told her to fetch mama.
Now I was anxious and pleaded, “Miss Martha please tell me what is wrong – am I ill?”
“No Child but I need your mama to check what I think is happening.”
I was so very worried that something horrible was happening I fidgeted from one foot to the other until Miss M chastised me again for fidgeting.
Finally mama arrived and looking at the tableau before her asked, “Whatever is the matter Martha?”
“Miss Charlotte’s chest is itching and she thinks she has a terrible ailment.” Miss M replied with a slight smile.
Mama came over to me and inspected my chest again it was gently massaged and again my nipple hardened and once again a gasp escaped my lips.

Mama stood back with a smile telling me, “You are not dying dear child; all that is happening is that your breasts are starting to grow it would appear that Mother Boville’s potion is indeed working.”
I was absolutely thrilled Mama and Miss M inspected my body and pronounced that my hips waist and derriere were definitely becoming more feminine they also inspected my male bit and decided that it was the same size as it was before my operation.
Then mama noticed that I was wearing split leg pantaloons and commented, “I thought you were told to wear joined up pantaloons Charlotte?”
I blushed at being caught out and feebly protested, “But mama they are more comfortable in summer.”
Mama nodded her agreement then cautioned me, “Be very careful Charlotte that no ones ever sees what you have ‘down there’ it would be our undoing especially should you wear a crinoline as the wind does catch them very easily.”

I dressed and being absolutely thrilled went down to resume my lessons I simply couldn’t wait to tell Annabelle and Clarissa my news because they being a year older than I already had small breasts!

Things carried on with my education, we spent the Christmas of 1804/5 with Lady Beaufort at their stately hall; of course Lady Ffinch was there so we three girls were together for a whole month.

Every day we either went riding took carriage rides or played our music. Now we were used to each other we really sounded exceedingly pleasant.
Lord’s Beaufort and Ffinch of course were there along with the sons of the household.
Edward was there and spent many hours talking to Lord Beaufort who suggested that Edward should go into public life even at such a young age.

There were five boys with us three were Lady Beaufort’s sons while the remaining were the sons of Lady Ffinch
So Clarissa’s brothers were Benjamin (18) Philip (17) and Henry (15) while Annabelle’s brothers were Reggie (19) and William (17)

All of them were in the army Benjamin and Philip were in their fathers old Regiment the Household Cavalry Dragoon Guards. Henry however was in the Light Dragoon Guards that had recently been renamed the Hussars.
Annabelle’s brother Reggie however was in the First Regiment of Foot Guards while William as in the 95th Regiment of Foot Guards. To my young eyes they were all very dashing and very handsome.

Every night we dressed with care dressing for supper now that mama was out of mourning she could wear colours other than black and for the first time since I started living as a girl mama bloomed in pretty pastel colours, wonderful gold’s and silver’s I was dazzled.
Of course I now could wear any colour that I wanted and I really loved this I adored beautiful dresses and fabrics especially satin, silk and brocades.

After supper the men retired to the smoking room while we women and girls to the drawing room.
Then later we reunited and us girls entertained the assembled friends and family with our music.

We played parlour games the boys showed their bravery by playing Snapdragon where raisins were placed into a bowl of heated sherry then this was set on fire and the boys (and men) tried to pick raisins out!
We all played Bouts-Rimees – a rhyming game. Players would have to come up with impromptu rhymes. There was a list of rhyming words, and each player would have to come up with a verse to go with the words.
And Shades – simply having a person sit with a candle outlining their profile – casting a shadow onto a blank piece of paper. The other player would then trace their profile. This was funny depending the shapes of the shadows and if a person was making a funny face.

It was a time of fun and innocence and also a time when I discovered that I had my first admirer! This was Annabelle’s brother William.
I discovered this when we three were playing a game of Bouts-Rimees we had a choice of word with which to make a rhyme up with Clarissa had the word ‘dove’
Annabelle’s word was ‘bower’.
I had just finished my rhyme now it was Clarissa’s turn – with a smile at me she began:
“Charlotte a pretty innocent dove
Does not realise that William’s in love.”

I gasped at this but before I could say anything Annabelle started her rhyme.

“Sweet Charlotte is sitting in her bower
While William watches her his beautiful flower.”

I blushed a bright crimson and stammered, “H,h,h, he: B,b, but: I mean Oh you surely joke with me.”
They both giggled at my discomfort finally Clarissa said, “Charlotte dear just look at the way he gazes at you!”
Annabelle added, “He is totally smitten with you and you do not even realise it!”
“Oh my” I gasped “Surely not, you must be wrong.” They both shook their heads Clarissa saying, “Charlotte we are older than you we know the signs!”

This gave me an opening I retorted, “But you are only a year older.” Annabelle answered, “Yes but we know – Charlotte simply glance his way when we are in his company and you too will see.”

“B, b, b, but what do I do?” I asked in a slight panic. Clarissa gave me a smile saying, “Simply acknowledge his presence this will make him happy and when we are out riding try to position your horse by him so you can converse.”
Annabelle added, “And dance with him if he asks!”

“But what will mama say?” I managed to say. It was Annabelle who answered this, “Your mama is very modern in her thinking as long as you are never alone with William your mama will not mind – it is a natural event enjoy the feeling I know I did.”

I gasped at this, “You have had an admirer Annabelle? Who? When?” I gasped in surprise.
This got us gossiping again and I discovered that Clarissa had also had an admirer and as she put it, ”Even my mama was not discomforted so your mama certainly will not disapprove.”

I was in two minds about William; I was thrilled that he found me attractive but still even though on the outside and mainly in my mind I was a girl – there was still my secret.
I dressed with care for supper the dress I selected was a satin gown finishing just above my ankles it was pale lemon in colour with a high waist which made my budding breasts show quite nicely but not too excessive. It had a rounded neckline showing some of my creamy shoulders and short puff sleeves.
There were pastel flowers in the satin and the hem was decorated with handmade satin flowers of a similar hue to the ones woven into the fabric. What finished the outfit long satin gloves finishing above my elbows but not meeting the puff sleeves of my gown.
Anna styled my hair in a Grecian style fastened with two tortoise shell combs and ringlets cascading down.

Mama came and inspected me making sure that my dress was appropriate for a 13 year old young lady.
Then we went for supper meeting the others in the salon.
Clarissa and Annabelle were already there so I naturally joined them and the rest of the young people. Clarissa looked at my dress and whispered, “So you are interested Charlotte?” I blushed and Annabelle gave a tinkling laugh.

I decided to take the bull by the horns and as I looked around the room I locked eyes with William who was looking at me.
As our eyes met he blushed and looked down I kept on looking at him and the look of pleasure on his face when he looked up was something to behold.
I smiled a gentle smile at him and watched interestedly as he straightened up and returned my smile.

My attention returned to my girl friends Clarissa looked at me saying, “That was nicely done Charlotte. Oh he’s coming over to us.”
My tummy fluttered at this and I sensed him standing close by us. “Annabelle, you have not introduce me to your friends.” He had a voice that was twixt between man and boy.

I turned to look at him and found him quite good looking close up. Annabelle smiled at her brother and introduced Clarissa. He bowed Clarissa give a small curtsy held out her hand and William gallantly kissed it.
Then she introduced myself and I did the same not taking my eyes off him. He kissed my hand holding onto me slightly longer than necessary saying, “Enchanted to make your acquaintance Charlotte.”

I retrieved my hand and managed to answer, “The pleasure is mine sir.” The look he was giving me made me realise the power a girl has – he seemed that he would do anything for me.

Historical Note: - Courtship was not as relaxed as it is these days! A girl was under her mother's wing for the first few years of her social life. She used her mother's visiting cards.
This same person (In Charlotte’s case this was her mother or Miss M) usually served as her chaperone.
As a single girl was never allowed out of the house by herself - especially in mixed company.
Courtship advanced by gradations, with couples first speaking, then walking out together, and finally keeping company after mutual attraction had been confirmed. But a gentleman had to take care in the early stages of courtship. If he was introduced to a lady at a party for the purpose for dancing, he could not automatically resume their acquaintance on the street. He had to be re-introduced by a mutual friend.
Nineteenth century social etiquette required girls to uphold a rigorous standard of beauty, poise and excellence, particularly for those from wealthy and prestigious families.
Years of training, refining and practice helped well-to-do girls learn proper behavior applicable to various social situations. Social expectations in the 1800s led many upper class girls to strive for absolute perfection in their style of dress, social network and educational options.
Working class girls of this era generally did not have the financial resources or time to dedicate to learning such standards.

up
125 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

War and love

Must be devastating for Edward, his mother and Charlotte, what war has done to him.
Love life will be very complicated for Charlotte. I felt it sorry for her. Poor girl.

I adore the Empire style

I adore the Empire style dresses of the early 1800s through middle 1800s. Flowing, gausing gowns and none of the corsets, bustles and the like used in later years. Charlotte's pale lemon colored one sounds delightful. Social constructs were so very rigid right up into the 1920s, at least here in the US, yet most of Europe stayed with them a little longer.

Real people?

Rhona McCloud's picture

The details of the families of Lady Beaufort and Lady Ffinch do make them sound like real historical characters and I wonder if you invented or borrowed them?

Rhona McCloud

Thanks

Christina H's picture

I too like the 'Empire Line" style of fashion is a delightful mode of dress even though there are restrictions on certain gowns, the corset was while structured are not as restrictive as in the later Victorian era.

And Rhona the families are straight out of my head though it is true to say that reading the research you can get a taste of the families and try to bring them to life.

Christina H