Beyond the Tales Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version


Beyond the Tales

Book 2

Chapter 9

Darkness


jzgtj9.jpg

This was really bad. A Whole class taken out by a magical drug! We do not have a police force. At least not the type we need to deal with this. Our Guards are great at crowd control and fighting wars but this was a whole new ball game. We need Detectives who know magic, if such thing exists. We Need to track down and arrest the fiends who did this. Maybe Zoe would be good for the job? Yes I think she would be. I used my link compact to call Janis I told her what was happening and asked her to get over here now and bring as much help as she could! I used some rope to block off the bad table. I sent a student to get Zoe.

There was a lot of questions to be answered and I was not the one to answer them. I had stumbled into the potion person before she could do harm but I can not trust in luck with this. I needed someone who will hunt till the bad ones are caught. I think Zoe is that person.

Janis got there and we moved the girls to a clear spot. Janis looked them over and said "They are all close to death. Their Bodies have been pushed to the edge. If they had pushed any more they would have died. You said this was caused by some type of magical drug?"

I said "It is called Freak Out it puts the user into a hyper manic state and drains their magic till it almost kills them. 50% of users die from the first use. We were lucky so far. If it is out there people will die! You do what you can for their bodies, I make some potions that will bring their magic into the normal range."

She said "A two front war, if we win they stay alive. Damn it this is bad."

Zoe came in "What is going on? Why did you pull me away from my troops?" I filled her in as Janis prepared the girls to take to her house. I sent her on the trail of the bad people. I told Janis I would meet her at her house as soon as I made the potions. I flew home and went right into the potion room and started brewing. Alexis came in and started helping. Soon we had them brewed. I packed them for traveling. I headed out the door. Alexis followed me.

I got to Janis's house quickly. Dixie let us in I checked the girls found the lowest and Dixie watched as I gave her the first potion tested her magic then gave her the second. I looked at Dixie and asked "Do you know how to check magic levels?" She nodded. I handed her a few of the paired potions. "Give the red one first, check that the levels are rising then give the second potion. You start from that end I'll start from this end. We soon had them all done and their magic was recovering. Now it was up to Janis to fix their bodies. This group will survive. I just hope there is no others floating out there!

I looked around none of the princesses were here. If this was the beginners class there should be 4 princesses? Unless they were not at the party for some other reason. There is also why were they having a party when Darla was gone? Too many questions. I flew over to the school to see if Zoe was still working that angle. Alexis still followed me.

Zoe was just about to leave when I got there. I asked what she had found. Zoe said "It was a birthday party. There was to be no magic. The aid that left to get the cake said Darla really didn't want to but the girls wore her down. The whole class was to be there."

I said "There was 4 in the class that were not. The princesses were not at Janis's place. Did this aid say anything about that? I've met all 4 so I would know them."

Zoe said "No she did not. I have someone following the aid. I did not like her too easy answers. Hmm I will look into this further. Do you have anything more at this time?"

I smiled Just that all of them survived so it is not murder yet. I will be at the house if you need me or have any questions. I'm off now." Alexis and I flew to my house and I was wiped out. Grandmother looked at me as I sat down. I said "They all survived. It was a close thing. Zoe is doing the Detective thing and snooping around for clues. I am out of energy. I am going to take a nap."

Grandmother said "Not so fast we need to talk. I cornered the Headmaster about the fathers of the Princesses being in your class room and the rest of it. I told him now that you are teaching from here that should not happen. If it does I am going to hold him responsible. So that should be one less worry for you. I am going to be doing the interface with the school from now on. It seem he thinks he can ask you anything. I will control the demands of that little man from now on."

I said "Grandmother do as you will, I am too tired to argue tonight. I am going to take a bath then a nap wake me for dinner." I moved a little slower. When I got undressed in the bathroom I was certainly showing that I was Pregnant. Oh well little one will come out in her own time. when that thought passed I was sure my little one was a girl. No proof just pure Mothers instinct. Wow this will be my 9th child and I am still not used to it. I am a Mother. I slipped into the tub and relaxed for a bit. After a half hour in the tub I felt a little better. After a two hour nap I almost felt human again. I was still in my nightgown when Grandmother came in. I was a little startled and her eyes were on my baby bump.

She sighed "You are really showing now. Soon we will have to get you new clothes. How are you feeling now? Any better than when you got back.?"

I smiled "Everything I wear is made out of weave so can be altered with just a thought. I am ok my magic is coming back slowly but consistently. I will be back to full strength tomorrow morning. The bath and nap helped a lot. Is it time for dinner? Oh and my little one is a girl I am sure of it."

Grandmother smiled "Well now I know what kind of birthday present to get her. Yes it is time for dinner and we have a full house again. Angel and Zoe dropped over to talk about what happened. By the way Angel was impressed with the practice hall. So far the best of the suggested names is the Magic Circle. If nothing better comes up that one will win." I dressed while she was talking and I had to alter several pieces of my clothing to accommodate the baby bump. Hmm this is going to get to be a pain. Oh well all for baby. When we went down I looked at Angel. She was showing just as much as me. Her clothes were not made for it so must be uncomfortable. I smiled she was not giving in to the all about baby yet.

I said "Hi Angel, Zoe we will talk after dinner. Lets just take it easy for now. Angel is your little one kicking as much as mine? Mine kicks so much I think she will be a kick boxer when she is older. Looks like we need to go clothes shopping for you. Those clothes don't leave room for the baby bump."

Angel glared at me "I am not showing that much! It is not even 5 months yet." She looked around and all the women in the room were shaking their heads. "It is that noticeable? Well I am always up for shopping. I just hope we can find stuff I like." She giggled so I knew she was uncomfortable. Dinner was called. We had a fine meal our new maids were working out fine.

After dinner Grandmother, Angel, Zoe, Alexis and me went to my study to talk about what happened. Zoe took the lead as our Detective. Zoe said "No one has seen the princesses since the party. I confirmed they were there at the start of the party. It seems they went to they restroom about half way through the party and no one has seen them since. This could be a cover up for a kidnapping. Things got crazy just after they left so it comes down to where are they? What we need is a diviner."

I said "I know the spell. With 4 of them it will be easier to follow there tracks. The problem the spell will leave me wide open. Until I break the spell I can do nothing else but follow the trail and it takes a bit to break the spell."

Alexis said "Teach me the spell and I will follow the path and all of you can protect me. I would feel much better with you protecting me big sister."

Grandmother said "Are you sure about this Alexis it could be very dangerous?" Alexis nodded. Grandmother sighed "Ember teach her the spell. I want you to take and wear this broche Alexis. It will shield you if you say the word danger. It will hold up for 1/2 hour. I hope this works. We should go as soon as possible the trail is getting colder by the moment."

We all went to the school and the class room. I taught Alexis the spell and she cast it. She began walking to the rest room then turned down a unused corridor. To a dead end where there was a big mirror. The portal trace was still active. I opened it using the trace to the place it had been. Zoe stepped through first then I went and the rest. It took a moment to pick up the trail. It led to a castle I stopped Alexis from going there. I told the rest to wait here. I shifted into a black bird and flew over the castle. The gates were open and no one was on watch. I landed on a high window and looked through. There was the 4 tied up guarded by 3 men the leader by bearing was telling them how they were going to kill them in the morning. I used a night sight spell to check for heat. I found it all right 15 armed men! I flew close an cast a deep sleep spell. I sifted back took away their weapons and tied up the men. I shifted and retuned to the others.

I said "It was meant to be a trap. Alexis beak the spell. I want you to go get Ben an 20 troops as fast as you can. You know how to open the portal? Take my ring it can trace portals. go!" Off she went. "Now that she is safe lets end this! Wing it and come on." I had to help Zoe grow wings but she seemed ok with it. We flew to the balcony and looked down on the room. We got close and zapped the men, they dropped. We each grabbed a princess and flew to the balcony before letting them loose.

Tamara said "You know it is a trap. They have troops ready to grab you."

I smiled "They are sleeping like babies right now. They wont wake till after our troops have them in hand. So this was a kidnapping after all. Well they will face justice of your families."

Angel said "I get first shot at them! Then the families can have what's left. One Question why did you go with them?"

Tamara sighed "They owned the aid. If we did not go with them, they would kill the whole class."

Grandmother said "They tried to do just that. If it was not for Ember and Janis working their butts off a lot of kids could have died.

I was looking towards the mirror "Here comes our troops." I picked up Tamara and flew down to meet the troops.

Ben was looking angry "We will talk about this later. What is the situation?" I filled him in and led him to the room where the bad troops were still sleeping. Then into the main room to pick up the leaders. It did not take long. We headed back. Alexis was waiting by the mirror. She gave me back my ring. I fished around my bag and pulled out a House crest ring and put it on her finger. I smiled at her and winked. We headed through the mirror back to the school. We found a way to lock up the bad guys and finally got home for the night or morning. It was 1 am so I went to bed. Mondays were my long day. This one is going to be longer than most.

Later that morning I got up and removed the binding spell on the class. I ran into Grandmother in the hall she said "Are we doing practical or are you still mad at them?"

I said "I have already removed the binding spell so yes we will be doing practical today. I am just trying to think of what to teach today since I wont be teaching shifting?"

She smiled "It will come to you I am sure. Lets get to breakfast. You did a lot last night so you need to fill up." She patted my tummy "It's all about baby." We walked down to see who was at the table to find we were the last ones there. After a feast of pancakes and blackberries we headed for the class room. We were still a quarter hour early. I could get used to this.

I smiled "I am no longer mad at all of you. So take out your spell books we are going to learn a new spell. This spell measures a persons magic level. This is a spell needed for many life paths. it is also the start of a spell class. A spell class is a group of spell while similar they differ in one or more points. Learn the base spell of a spell class and you will find it very easy to learn all the spells in that class. Don't learn the base spell and it is that much harder to learn that spell class. We will be working form this starting place on many spell classes. This is a spell I use quite often." Then we got down to the nuts and bolts of the spell. This did not take up much time so I went into several variations on this spell. I included checking self's level and a groups levels. That just took an hour. So I switched tracks and taught a simple spell of fire fingers. "This simple spell leads to the spell fire dance. We will be seeing the best at the fire dance this Friday with the rest of the school. Jessel is renowned for her fire dance. Kings and Queens come to see her when she dances."

Charlotte said "You sound like you know her real well?"

I laughed "You might say that. Ok story time, Back when I was working the pits of Crystalis, I came across a lady working fire like it was a tame pet. I went to her to get her to teach me. It took a month to get her to even test me. I passed the test but just by my skin. She told me she would teach me but only if I learned to fire dance. Magic I could do, Dance not so much. But when I set my sights on something I go all out. Slowly starting with finger fire I built till I could do the fire dance. I was young and flexible so I did ok at it even made some coin. Once I did I asked her to Teach me fire magic and she said What do you think you have been doing? It is all in the spells I have taught you. I was so worried about learning the dance the fire magic came easy to me. It was all a matter of applying the knowledge to the rest of the fire spells. Know a element and the magic will come to you. You all have been flying for awhile now. To do so you have to feel the winds and adjusting to them. Remember that when I get into wind magic next week. It is all in applying the knowledge you already have to a new magic. Well it is almost lunch time lets leave it there for today. After lunch all of you will be in our new practice hall. So gather there after lunch. Class dismissed." I took a deep breath that went well. So I went to meet Vickie for lunch.

We all filled into the dinning room and had a good lunch. Vickie felt a little weird but that's not new around here. The class went out to do their practical while I was lingering over a second cup of tea. I finally stood up "Lets go to my study to get some work done. It did not take long to get through what I needed to and we had our face to face meeting. We walked outside and I taught her the wing spell and sent her off to get the work delivered. I was done till Jessel showed up for her dress making time. I took a nap till then. Around 3 pm she showed. That morning after breakfast I had caught Cryss and asked to use her workshop? She said yes and gave me the key. When Sue woke me I got up and headed downstairs. Jessel was waiting for me in the living room. I greeted her then led her back to the workshop. I turned to her "Ok do you know what you want for your dress?" She handed me a drawing that looked like a flame drawn on Jessel. This one would be harder than the last one. I went and filled the cart with reds, pinks and all shades I could find in between or around red. I studied the drawing. Still looking at the drawing I said "Take off your clothes so we can start. She did and I began to weave. The one piece bathing suit was nice then I layered the dress around her. I made it as close as I could to the drawing finally it was complete. It really looked like living flame. I layered an enchantment through out the dress so it shimmered light in a fire pattern. She loved it. She put 5 gold coins in my hand.

Jessel said "You are a true friend." She danced around and the dress moved correctly. I heard someone trying the gate when I looked it was Cryss. I let her in. I smiled and hugged her.

I said "We are almost done, come look at the dress. We went a different way than the other one. I think it came out real well."

Cryss said "Wow the light and color moves. It almost looks alive. How did you do that Mommy? I want to learn that!"

I smiled "It is done by an enchantment. It's fairly simple so I will teach it to you."

Jessel grinned "Please don't show other people till after my show on Friday. I want to make a real splash and put that ice dancer in her place."

I shrugged "Are you staying for dinner?" She shook her head "You probly need to change back. We will wait out here." We went over the load of crystal planning. I knew there was a lot of crystal in the walls and floors. The whole place was at least 1/3 crystal. I took her to a side cave and taught her to extract crystal from the walls. I showed her to form the rock into pillars to keep the cave solid. Jessel called that she was ready to go. We moved to the front and let her out. I checked the time and decided to go inside. Cryss was tired so she came inside with me after locking the gate.

Grandmother was angry. She said "You had start them on fire! I thought you said you were not going to teach them the real dangerous ones!"

I sighed "The elements are the base spells for the harmony spells. Three of the six are fire mages anyway. Might as well teach them right. It was only fire fingers." There came a knock at the door.

Jessel smiled "I changed my mind if the offer for dinner is still open?" I waved her in. When we were sitting Grandmother smiled. I could tell she had an idea.

Grandmother said to Jessel "How many kids have you taught at one time? Have you ever tried a full class?"

Jessel smiled "3 is the most I have taught at one time. I have thought of teaching a class but never had the chance. Are you suggesting I try?"

Grandmother smiled "We have just started fire magic with fire fingers. I thought you could take the class through what you do to teach fire dance. There is 6 in the class. 3 of them have fire magic already. I think it would be a easy way to see if you would like to teach at the class level. It would just be a hour or two out of your day. If you like it you could continue till you are satisfied they are ready. We have the rest of the summer to do this if you want?"

Jessel laughed "When do we start?"

Grandmother said "How about after dinner" We got our own practice hall so no waiting for space. It is made out of crystal weave so it will not burn. What do you think?"

Jessel asked "Ember what do you think?"

I said "Jessel I can see you want to do this and it would give me a focus for the summer class. So I say go for it I will watch tonight but we will move it to afternoon practical class. This class is a good bunch so I think you will like teaching them. I'm going to see how dinners coming." I got up and went into the kitchen and found it a mad house. A controlled mad house I asked Tasha "How long?" She put up 1 finger then 5 fingers so I headed back to the living room. Sasha had been in the potion room most of the day so no potion class tonight. That opened up Alexis and Cryss to watch the class if they wanted to. When I got back Grandmother was making the offer to Alexis and Cryss. They both wanted to do it but wanted my permission first. I said "If you stick to it I will let you join the practical class from now on." They both gave me big hugs.

Alexis's time at the farm was over and I could just tell Tina and Tara, Cryss was trying something else. They would be ok with it I am sure. I went over to the Mirror and called Tina. Tina answered right away "Yes oh Ember, what's up?"

I said "Thanks for looking after Cryss like you have been but we are going another way with her for awhile."

She frowned "Why is it something I did or didn't do? I tried my best."

I smiled "It is nothing about you she is going to work on her dress making in the mornings and learn fire dance in the afternoon. Jessel is going to teach her. You know how kids are. Got to try the new thing."

Tina said "Ok as long as it is not something I did."

I said "You did wonderful. Why don't you come for dinner next week? I am sure she will be glad to see you. You are one of her favorite people. Talk to you later." I broke the link. I tried Tara and no one was home. There came a knock on the door.

It was Tara "Hi, is Jessel here?"

I said "Yes, what's up" I waved her in. She strode over to Jessel.

Tara said "The ice dancer is pushing that you be removed as head of the troop. She tried to call for a vote but was shot down. Its getting to be a close thing. Lentha is really wanting your job."

Jessel said "I'll let her have it after this Fridays performance I am retiring and going to teach full time. I am tired of all the up and comers biting at my heels. I have more coinage than I will ever need. I can do what I want. What I want right now is to teach. This will work I have friends in the troop that could teach Water, Earth, and Air if you want?" She was looking at me when she said that.

I smiled "I'll meet with them. If they impress me we will see. It is a two hour class we could make it 1/2 hour per element. Can you work with that?" She nodded "Well we may have a plan coming out of this."

Grandmother smiled "I will oversee all of the practical. When we shift to hour long classes in the fall we will see how it goes. Ember will be giving birth in the middle of the fall quarter so things will get a little hectic. We will decide on next quarter when it gets closer to the end of summer. This quarter we will do the practical that way and Ember will do the theory in the mornings. She is good at that. So we know what we are doing now?" Everyone nodded. "Good we will go with this plan for now." Dinner was called. I took Tara's arm and led her into the new dinning hall. soon everyone was seated. Grandmother stood up to make an announcement. "After dinner Jessel has agreed to teach a class on fire magic in the form of the fire dance. She will be teaching during the practical class from now on. Ember anything else?"

I smiled "Yes there is there is no potion class tonight. Alexis and Cryss will be joining for the practical class for the summer. That's all you can eat now." I started on my dinner.

Tara asked between bites "When were you going to tell me I have been replaced?"

I shrugged "I was looking for the right time. This all came up so fast. I told Tina badly. I think I hurt her feelings. I was just calling you when you showed up. I am so bad at breaking bad news. Things just get away from me. I think it is time for the Six and Darla to get together again this weekend. I would like to see all the Dragons in one place for once. I know I am changing the subject. We laughed at that."

After dinner we went to the practice hall. Cryss ran to the center of the room. When all of a sudden the place was filled with Dragons. The young Dragons circled Cryss and the brood circled a little further out the other way. On the edge Skya circled. It was quite a sight to see. A crystalline song began. I stood transfixed. On the beginning of the forth time through I spoke the words of the song for the other humans.

The Earth Mother embraces
We live
The Earth Mother calls
We listen
The Earth Mother sings
We enjoy
The Earth Mother cries
We comfort
The Earth Mother commands
We act
We call on the Earth Mother to make us Whole!

On the last word I felt the magic being pulled out of me. My magic reached out touching, caressing and changing each one. I was finding it hard to stand as my magic dipped very low. Finally I fell to the ground. The last thing I said before I passed out was "Live well my children!"

I woke in bed I felt totally drained. Jenny was at my bedside. I must have made a noise because she looked up and smiled. I tried to smile I was so weak it was very difficult. She stood up "I will get the others." she rushed out.

Soon she was back with Angel, Grandmother, Mother, Alexis, Ben and Sam. They all looked relived. Grandmother said "How are you feeling?"

I said "Drained what happened?"

Grandmother said "It takes quite a lot of magic to perform a miracle. The song was a prayer and spell. You answered it. You changed all of the dragons. You gave them the ability to produce their own eggs. but it cost you, after this child you will have no other. It almost killed you. Your magic is almost not there any more. Drink this, it is a stronger version of the potion that helped Cryss." I drank the potion. Grandmother checked my level "It is coming up slowly. You will not be getting out of bed till tomorrow at least."

I said "Where is Cryss are the Dragons all right?"

Angel said "They are fine. Cryss was changed the most she has been sleeping on and off as long as you have. I think she was the catalyst so it hit her harder. It is Thursday evening by the way."

Grandmother smiled "Class has been going great. The new format is really taking off. Jessel is quite the teacher and her friends are good too. I have been doing theory and they have been doing the practical and it has been working. You should be able to take over on Monday. Yes you can go to her performance tomorrow if you take it easy. now you should rest a little more." I was worried about Cryss but I just could not stay awake.

The next time I woke there was Cryss cuddled up to me. I looked up an Skya was perched on the headboard. I was hungry, Tina was at my bedside this time. I yawned and stretched. Tina said "Welcome back. You don't do things lightly do you? Well I would think you are hungry by now. I'll be right back." She got up and left.

Skya said "Thank you Mother you saved us. We will go on now to serve the mages of Sanctuary. We truly now of Sanctuary. No more between we are part of the earth. She speaks to us and we hear her now. We love you Mother."

I smiled "I love all my children. I always have and always will." Tina came back and set down a tray. She helped me sit up putting pillows behind me. Then she set the tray on my lap. The soup was good. Just as I finished Cryss woke up. She hugged me and slipped off the bed to go to the restroom. "I am sorry how I said things on the link. I did not think it through."

She said "Your Grandmother explained it to me so I am not sore any more. So lets forget it. You just get better. You up to seeing some people?" I nodded. She got up opened the door and said "you can come in now." In walked Jessel and three women I did not know.

Jessel said "Ember I would like to introduce Team Element, Of course there is me on fire, Liz on water, Kelly on earth and Sally on air. Ladies this is the Princess Ember Rose Del La Silver also known as The Princess of the Pits. I am sure you have heard me talk of her.

Tina said "You know she is a real Princess twice over of Crystalis and of Sanctuary. She is also Grand Mage of Sanctuary. Just to let you know."

Skya said "She is also Mother of all Crystal Dragons." They seemed very impressed.

Jessel said "Well yes she had the name of Princess of the pits when I first knew her. Are you going to be able to go to my show tonight?"

I smiled "I am told if I take it easy I will. I am feeling better. My Grandmother has the last say in such matters. You don't cross her." Just then Grandmother came in and shooed everyone out Tina too. I said "Good morning Grandmother." She smiled at that.

She said "Lets get down to it. I am going to check your levels and make you drink a potion. Then I want you to get up and walk around a bit to see how your strength is." And that is what we did. I was a little shaky getting up at first but did not take long for my strength to come back. I checked my own levels and found I was just a little off normal. I smiled I am on the mend. She said "Get dressed we will go downstairs for a family meeting." I tapped my bracelet and smiled. We made it downstairs to the dinning room. Everyone was there and I do mean everyone. They all smiled when I came in. When we were seated Grandmother got things rolling. First thing is we need a deputy Grand Mage. When Ember is out of it because of having her baby someone needs to step up and cover for her. Before you ask it can't be me. I have my reasons. I have three candates coming in later in the week. Lets look at our own first. Any suggestions?"

Veronica - Generalist
Sophie - Shaper
Vanessa - Elementist
Jan - Enchanter

This is all that came up and they all came from me. I said "They are all 5th level so they are good but to take my place I am not sure."

Grandmother said "We will table that for right now. Now we know who will keep things running while the Queen is out of it. She has been training with the Queen for quite a while now. The school is taken care of and quite well. keep a look out for a deputy grand mage. I guess that is all for now. dismissed." After lots of shaking of hands every one went their own way.

I looked down the hall to the class room and Grandmother said "All right we will do it together." So we went down to the class room and I let Grandmother teach most of the class till she was talking about harmony spells. Then she turned it over to me and I talked for the last 1/2 hour. It was good to be teaching again.

To be continued

As always all life giving comments Welcome and Loved!

up
179 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

excitement and beauty

Alecia Snowfall's picture

thanks Gypsy for a really riveting chapter! This story keep getting better with each new chapter. The dragons' ceremony was the icing on the cake, simply beautiful. read, kudo'ed, commented, ENJOYED!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Holy crap!

By the time Ember gets around to writing her autobiography, the first chapter is gonna be just her name and titles. I'm running out of superlatives, this story is so cool.

nomad

Magic rules

I smile and live on. This chapter has set a new ambience to this story I say. The dragons will thrive with generations. Skya can talk well. I can feel Ember's motherly feeling for Cryss and her other dragon children. I bet Grandmother is very happy inside. Ember will need to delegate more of her job with her last child coming soon. The cost of magic is great but so far its all beautiful to me. It makes me wish I can go there and live a new life at the Sanctuary. hmm how I wish. :)
Thanks GypsyWomen.

It is too bad that Ember will

It is too bad that Ember will no be able to have any more babies after her first one. She does have quite a family now however and one I can definitely see as no-one messing with them in any manner or form or there will be real hell to pay.

Potions and Enemies

I'm still hung up on the potions situation. These were not coincidences, I fully believe the attacks were coordinated and are just a part of a bigger plan. The old woman potion maker may have actually done that part, but there was somebody behind her, someone that taught her the spells that were used.

And somebody is coordinating the harassment on Ember. Each time Ember has to step in to save some students her magic-on-hand level drops lower and lower. And who was the brain behind the kidnapping? The timing is just too convenient. The leader of the kidnappers may think it was his idea, but I believe somebody else put the idea in his head. And each incident causes Ember to loose more and more magic.

Something that almost slipped past me - why is there a apparently a perfectly good castle sitting around unused and empty. People that make the effort to build a castle don't generally just walk away and leave the door unlocked. So why is it empty? In normal circumstances why the owner left is pretty obvious. Walls breached, buildings inside that show they were set afire, perhaps the odd massive blood stain scattered here and there. And just where is this castle physically located? Travel by mirror doesn't really give a feel for distances. Questions like this make me nervous for some reason, good thing I'm a rather ordinary person. If I had magic ability or even an armed A-10 things would get very noisy.

(Stupid Air Force, they have two aircraft that are really, really good at doing what they do, and they are retiring them. Lots of planes have been used in ground attack roles but the A-10 was born to that role. In Kuwait and Iraq the A-10 soaked up incredible amounts of damage from ground forces and just kept chugging along. The A-10 was already slated for retirement prior to Desert Storm, but it performed so well it was given a stay of execution. The F-16 has turned out to be one of the best air superiority fighters ever made. Both planes are being replaced by the JSTF, the F-35. The F-35 has proven to be a money pit, the Marine version has risen to $134 mil a plane, and last January a F-35 went up against an F-16 over Edwards Air Force base and the F-16 pretty much flew the F-35 out of the air.) (End of rant)


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

The greater worlds

We have only seen hints of the greater context of the story. We have reason to believe there are more than 25 kingdoms competing for prominence and advantage, and that the competition has been going on for a long time. And we have seen that the competition is more like wars than games, both overt (like the earlier attacks) and otherwise (like the RL "Cold War"). There may or may not be a single person or entity behind the attacks - it could easily be some of the other kingdoms finding a loose sort of common cause against the relatively sudden appearance of a dangerous upstart in their midst.

As to the empty castle, it is not unprecedented. If you think back to the beginning of the story, you might recall that Sanctuary was in a similar state before Ember moved in.

Jorey
.

Not Clear on the Plan...

So the princesses were being held as a trap rather than for ransom? A trap for whom? Presumably not for a mage, since they seemed utterly unprepared for one. And they didn't have enough troops there to face either Sanctuary's Guards or whatever forces might be sent there by the royal families of the princesses they took. (Though I suppose if they kept control of the mirror room, they'd be OK; Sanctuary had to destroy all their mirrors to do it, but they staved off attacks by larger forces last time.)

As it was, the kidnappers had to sacrifice the person who had infiltrated the school, or else wait for their location to be discovered some other way, since a trap is pointless without someone to trigger it.

Since there's no ransom involved, killing the princesses makes a certain amount of sense; logistically it's cheaper and less dangerous to keep a corpse around than someone who needs food, water, etc., and knows enough rudimentary magic that one can't afford to leave her unguarded. But I'm still not clear to me what the criminals were expecting to happen if/when everyone died, including all those who had been in the classroom.

Of course, I guess we still don't know what's behind any of these attacks, assuming there's a common source. So it's hard to know what they're intended to accomplish.

Eric