Beyond the Tales Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version


Beyond the Tales

Book 2

Chapter 7

Shifting


jzgtj9.jpg

The silence was quite deep. I guess they never thought I would train them to do something like that. I said "Well I guess it is story time. Back when I was in the Pits Of Crystalis I learned a lot of different types of magic. One of the first things I learned was to shift. It is a real useful skill to have. The second or third mage I worked for had a hobby of drawing and the cost of her teaching me her magic was that I posed for her. At first she would only teach me a little for my posing. Then I looked at some of her drawings and found she liked to draw humanoid animals. So the next time I shifted into a cat girl and she loved the time so taught me many spells for that time. You see if I did not have that ability I would not have what she needed for trade. It came down to chance but it is a handy ability."

Kia asked "Can you show us something of what you are talking about?

I said "Ok" I shifted to Cat girl. I purred at them and mewed. I let every one have a closer look. I even let them touch me. Milla pulled my tail and I hissed at her. Then I shifted back. I smiled at them. "Back to your seats. Well you can see it was not a illusion but a true shape shift. You will start with a simpler shift. Take a look at your hands now imagine them with claws. I held up my hand and extended my claws one at a time. I moved my fingers. This is how it starts. With a single change but to be safe you need to know the pattern you are starting with. Your body as it is, is your starting point. To avoid the shifters curse accept your body as it is right now."

Charlotte asked "What is the shifters curse? I don't understand."

The form you take when you shift will slowly push out the original. This means you would become what you shift into to the point there is no way back. To me my claws are normal. I can not change my hands back if I wanted to. I learned too late to be weary of staying shifted too long. It is nice to have the choice. I no longer do. I spent so much time as a cat girl that it changed my personality. It was a close thing, I almost ended up a cat girl for life. I learned my lesson the hard way. There is always a cost! You might not see it going in but it is there waiting for the unwary. I got off easy my claws are a reminder that it could have been much worse. Some shifters just keep shifting till even they have no idea what they started out as. The curse had them. All they would ever be is shifters. Yes I can shift but it is not who I am." I waved my claws at them "Take this as a warning. Don't push the magic you wont like it when it pushes back. Always look for the cost before you cast major spells."

Grandmother asked a question I really wished she had not. She asked "When you animated the first Crystal Dragon what was the cost?"

I sighed "That is a little off topic but I will answer it. The cost of that Dragon and the seven that followed were the same. Eggs, My eggs. One years worth of eggs per Dragon. So you see I had to give up a lot to bring a new life into this world. The dragons came from my eggs so they are all my children. So you see on that day I became the mother of a new race. And now that the brood's eggs have hatched I am their Grandmother. So all you be good to my grandchildren. Now back to the topic. The Shifters curse is a prime example of cost coming back to bite you. Please for your own sakes take this to heart. Now on to the how's and why's." The rest of the morning went quickly.

At lunch Grandmother was still with us. She just watched and listened but every once and awhile she would ask a question. She made me a little on edge but I was able to put it aside when teaching. The practical for this was a painstaking lesson. These girls picked it right up. Too fast for my liking.

I kept them form full body transformations. I tried to keep a lid on Pandora's box but it was hard. Some lessons had to be learned the hard way. Maybe I should never have taught this spell? I can't start to second guessing myself.

After cleaning up I got ready to head back to the house. We went out grew our wings and flew. Grandmother said "I did not know you gave up that many eggs for each dragon. Do you think it was wise?"

I smiled "Wise or not it is done. It just means I loose the ability to give birth earlier than I normally would. I only want two regular kids anyways. I am starting sooner than I would like in the first place. The Dragons have that many chances to expand the race for all but one egg turns into a dragon egg. Hopefully by the end of the eggs there will be born a Dragon with eggs of her own. I don't know if it will happen or not?"

She said "Your saying you gave them that many tries to evolve? That means if each Dragon had 1 hatchling and passed the rest of her eggs on to the hatchling. It would be 13 generations that the Dragons have to evolve. Is that what you are telling me?"

I smiled "You got it. If they can evolve like you put it the race survives. If not the Crystal Dragon race will die out after 14 generations. The Dragons themselves will live as long as the person they bonded with does. Except for Cryss who will live as long as a normal mage. If Cryss can get pregnant and give birth is left to be seen. What it comes down to is if they don't evolve the Crystal Dragon race will last about a hundred and fifty years."

She said "You are sounding pretty cold about all this. Don't you care about them?"

I turned in mid air on her "Of course I Care! They are my children! There is nothing more I can do! If I try to interfere I will most likely kill any chance they have! That has been made clear to me! I need to trust in their will to survive! They will become more than they are right now! I know they will make the leap from potential to real! The Dream that told me the cost of what I have done was a very powerful one. I know down to my bones that what it said is true. I was told I would make a total of eight Dragons. I am can not make more or it would be interfering. Skya is the last Dragon I will make. Skya is different because Cryss made her body then I animated her. She may or may not play a part in the survival of her race. Let's talk of something else the tension is making the little one kick like mad."

We landed at the house. I decided to teach Sasha another potion tonight with Cryss and Alexis. It is only Wednesday. So I still have to wait till Saturday to go get two more maids. As I reached the porch Tina and Cryss walked up with a woman and a man I did not know. I turned and watched them walk up. Cryss rushed up to me and gave me a big hug. I looked over her shoulder and said "Tina your early. Is something up?"

Tina smiled "You know that Cryss has been learning to make dresses?" I nodded waiting to see where this was going. "Well I would like you to meet Sergey and Lentha They would like Cryss to make a Dance Dress for Lentha. They are willing to pay top coin for it too."

I smiled "Let me guess a Weave Dress." They nodded. "You know a weave dress is a very Special dress. It is not as easy to make as a cloth or silk one. It takes Mage level magic to make one. It will put quit a strain on Cryss to make it. What is the Dress for?"

Lentha said "I am a dancer with Jessel's troop and it is for my act. I am an Ice Dancer. I dance counterpoint to Jessel's Fire Dance. I am told this weave is very good with cold. I have had to stop using many of my dresses because they stiffen up when cold or even crack. I am a Ice mage. So you see I need a special dress to hold up to my act."

I thought about it "Yes a weave dress would do that. Cryss do you want to try to make the dress?"

Cryss said "I don't know if I could make the kind of dress she wants could you do it?"

I smiled "Would you let me use some of your crystal?" She nodded I looked at the others "Follow me please. We will go to Cryss's workshop." Cryss ran ahead.

When we got there she said "Please enter."

Once inside I asked "Do you know what your dress should look like? Color and style?" She handed me a very detailed drawing. I smiled it had 3 views. This would make it easier. I went in the other room and loaded a cart with the crystal I would need. Cryss was watching everything I did. I looked at Sergey. "This next part maybe embarrassing with him here." He nodded and walked out. "All right Are you wearing the Lingerie you will be wearing under the dress or do you need that made as well?"

Lentha said "If it could be made of the same Weave I would like to have it all match."

I smiled "That is fine. Please remove your clothes." I started studying the drawing. Soon she was done, no shyness in her. I looked her over and planned my move. I closed my eyes then slowly opened them. I began shaping the crystal into a weave then it rapped around her making a one piece swim suit. Then I slowly shaped the dress to mirror the drawing. I added a scarf and shoes that were in the drawing. It came out very nice indeed!
It was a halter style with full pleated skirt in white and light blue. Her hair was held back by the scarf in a high ponytail. The shoes were ankle boots with three inch heels. All in all quite the pretty dress. I made it to imitate Satin. She went over to the full length mirror and gazed at herself. She had a very lovely smile on her lips.

She said "If I did not see it I would not have believed it. It is the most perfect dress I have ever worn! How much do I coin can I give you for this perfect dress?"

I said "How much were you going to pay Cryss?" She handed me a small bag of coins. "Add two gold and you have paid for the dress." She happily handed me the coins. She started to do some dance moves around the cave. She was on cloud nine. I pointed and Tina bundled her clothes up and carried them as we left the shop. I smiled when Cryss remembered to lock the gate.

Lentha stopped and turned to me "I forgot to ask your name?"

Before I could answer Grandmother walked up and answered for me. "Her Name is Ember Rose Del La Silver Skyflower-Starstone. Princess Ember Grand Mage of Sanctuary if you want to be informal."

Lentha looked at me. Then Dropped into a very low Curtsy and held it. Sergey came over and said "What's with this?"

Tina said "She just found out who Ember is. You going to leave here down there all day Ember?"

I said "You may rise. You know I am pretty informal but if you ever meet my Mother you better get it right the first time. Grandmother, what do you think of the dress I just made for her?"

Grandmother looked her over walking around her taking it all in. "Little flashy but not bad. What is it for?"

I said "She is in Jessel's troop, she is a Ice dancer. She needed a dress that would hold up to the cold. The Crystal Weave Satin works good for that."

Grandmother thought "Well if she is a performer then it is perfect. You get better with the weave every time you use it. Well we should get inside if your fun time is over?"

I smiled "Yes Grandmother, Just a moment. Lentha will you give Jessel a message for me? Just tell her I need to talk to her sometime this week in the evening. Bye."

Cryss said "bye, bye! Have a good time with the dress." When we got inside I stopped Cryss. I took out the gold then handed her the bag of coins. She hugged me then went on with our evening.

After dinner it was time for lessons in potion making. I picked an hair changer and its counter. I wanted to teach about counters and this would be a fun way. They made 4 bottles of the changer and 4 of the counter. I asked "Who wants to try the potion? I was surprised when all three raised their hands. Ok bottoms up. Alexis came out with a white horses mane, Sasha Came out with a purple shag cut and Cryss pink pigtails. All in all not bad looks. I called in Grandmother to see. After Grand mother and Ben had their fun, I told them to take the counter. All three worked and they all went back to normal.

After they copied the potion into their books and everything was cleaned up. I put Cryss to bed. Alexis went in her room to read. I went looking for Ben, it was cuddle time.

Thursday morning was nothing special. I got to class all right and found the Headmaster waiting for me. He looked happy so I was wondering what was up? He said "I got your message and I am here. Does this mean you have decided early? Tell me you are going to do it?" I was puzzled? What message?

Just then Grandmother walked in. She said "Good you got my message. I have a few questions then she will give you her answer. Ember tell your students to self study or whatever you call it and we will get down to work."

I have learned to listen to Grandmother so I said "Independent study." We went into a side room to talk. I was wondering if this plan was going to fly or flop.

Grandmother started the talk "I have heard the plan and think it can work. With a few teaks that is. But first tell me briefly what you think the plan is?"

The Headmaster said "Ember works to get her GED this summer then in the fall she starts as a staff member. Teaching a class like this one but shorter only a hour and one other class maybe Art. Then her back up takes over after lunch for the practical for a hour and one other class. When Ember goes into labor her back up takes over her classes till she is back on her feet. When she can Ember takes back over her classes."

Grandmother said "I did not hear about these other classes. When was that added?"

He said "All staff members teach two classes. I thought that was common knowledge? Is that a problem?"

I said "I know some about art but just magical art." His eye lit up with that. I could tell he just had a idea.

Grandmother sighed "Well I am sure that could be worked out. What is important is that Ember only work half days in the fall. It will be stressful enough for her without heaping a full time job on top of that. I will be the other teacher in this equation. I will be taking the Practical in the afternoons. If we do this it would last till the end of the school year. We will rethink the plan after the school year. Are you with me so far?" He nodded "Good, here is where we go from here. I would like to know what you plan to pay Ember for this job?" They went into finances an I was only half listing when I felt a shift go on in the other room. There was a half scream and I bolted for the door.

Teladona was on the floor half shifted to a large cat. The girls were standing around her and looking scared. I checked she was still breathing but just. I found her spark and it had a dark spot on it where the cat was trying to take over. I fed the spark some magic and banished the cat. I was able to force a shift back to her normal self. I said "Charlotte get Janis. The rest of you in your seats Now! You have all been told to wait to be instructed on each new spell! Yet Teladona Almost died because She did not listen to instructions! I hope the rest of you will listen now. This is magic that is not to be played with! I was taking it slow for a reason! The entire class is banded from using magic for three days!" I cast a binding spell to make sure they knew I meant what I said. I should be able to hold the spell till Monday. "I am disappointed!" Janis got there at that point.

After a quick exam she said "Deep shock I should be able to bring her out of it. I'll take her back to my place. She should be ok in s few days. back to school Monday. I'll send you the bill. She and two helpers put her on a stretcher and headed out.

I glared at the class the whole time. Everyone of them looked guilty this time. I tuned to the Headmaster "We will finish our talk at lunch. It seem this group is not to be trusted as much as I thought. When I checked this class room is open after lunch. I started the class with a review of the rules. Then I talked about side effects and general bad effects of using magic. I told in graphic detail the horrors I seen in the pits. About the lives destroyed and people harmed. Two hours were a long time to fill but I still had stories at the end of the time. They all were a little green when I let them out for lunch. I told them to return to this class room after lunch.

I did not notice that Grandmother had stayed for the class. As soon as the class left the Headmaster showed up. Grandmother and the Headmaster talked for a bit and finally she gave her blessing for the plan. After going over it I made up my mind. I stated that "The plan is a go!"

He smiled and handed me a bag of books and pamphlet's for GED test. He said "The Test will be held two weeks from the end of summer. That gives a chance for retest if needed."

Time was up and the kids are due back. Grandmother said "We might as well get started on the plan now. You sit at your desk and study and I'll teach this class. If it is alright with you Headmaster."

He said "That is a great Idea. It will make sure she passes that test. I will see you both later I have a school to run." Off he went seeming quite pleased with himself. I set up at the desk and she handed me a study potion. I smiled and downed the potion. Time to study. with the potion my focus was very good so I got through many chapters in two of the books before Grandmother told me it was time to go home. I was happy with the results. I packed the books and got ready to go. We had walked about half way home when Charlotte caught up to me.

She said "Are you serious that we cant use magic for three days?"

I looked at her "Try it." When she did and nothing happened I said "I bound all of the classes magic for three days. You and the others will learn that I mean what I say. Teladona will have more punishment when she is better. I will not be teaching a lot of the higher level spells I planed to because of this problem. Maybe next quarter I will have forgiven enough to try again, maybe not."

She asked sounding scared "What will you teach this quarter then?"

I will teach each of you to make the most of what you have and harmony spells. You will all get a good base to work from I will teach you all many spells but no more of the very dangerous ones. I am not opening Pandora's box."

She looked at me "I don't know what that is but I am sorry we disappointed you." She walked off after that.

Grandmother did not say anything. We just walked the rest of he way home. a squeak came from my pocket and I remembered I had Teladona's Dragon Dona. I brought her out and fed her a crystal chip. I turned to grandmother "Will you put my books in my study for me I have a errand to run." She nodded and took the books. I took to the sky.

I got to Janis's place and knocked. While I was waiting Skya landed on my shoulder and looked at the baby dragon in my hands. Dixie opened the door and led me back to Teladona's room. I smiled when I seen it was #3. That is the same one Alexis was in. It was the one I woke up in when I helped the kitten girls. Janis was in with her with a worried look on her face. She looked up when I came in. She said "What happened to her she should be waking up but she is not. I held my hand over her and focused on her spark outward. I placed Dona on the pillow next to her and Skya moved from my shoulder to the headboard. I held out both hands and looked deeper. I found the problem.

I said "She's trapped in a nightmare. I learned how to dream walk when I was younger I hope this works. I took her hand and began the twinning. Once our breathing and pulse were in sink I projected myself into her dream.

We were in the class room but everyone was cats and stuck that way. She was baring the door so the cats would not get away. I could feel her terror. I called her name she turned "Teacher I did not mean to do it I convinced everyone to try a full body transformation but they all ended up like this now I can't turn them back." she was crying. I waved my hand and all the cats turned into the class.

I smiled and took her in my arms "Listen little one you are dreaming. It is time to wake up now! This is all not real! please wake little one!" I felt her begin to wake so I left her Dream. I opened my eyes and smiled at her. She slowly sat up and looked around.

She said "You were in my dream? You saved me! How can I go on learning magic with so much on the line? I don't think I am ready to go into the higher magic's. I think I am going to go home and rethink my life. I am sorry Teacher I can't do this any more." She picked up Dona from the pillow and put her in my hands.

I said "I will hold onto Dona for awhile. I know this is hard please don't give up. This is not a decision to be made when you are upset. Think it over then come talk to me. Please just think about it."

She said "I will but I don't think I will change my mind."

I went out the door and Janis followed me. When we were alone she asked "What was that about?"

I shook my head "She has lost her confidence and that is one thing that is deadly to a mage. It is also something I can't help her with. If she walks away now she will never be more than she is right now. She knows enough to work but not to make it big. Right now there is nothing I can do to fix this. If I push her it would just drive her away. All I can do is wait and hope she comes back to class. To do anything else would just drive her away." There was tears in my eyes but all I could do is head back to my family.

When I got back to the house Grandmother had to hear what happened. She surprised me when she said "You did the right thing. A loss of confidence that bad would affect you the longer you stayed with her. Let her come to you. If she decides to leave then you have done what you could and you will need to move on. I know it sounds harsh but that is how life is sometimes." I went into my study to read till dinner.

At dinner Cryss was mad. She asked "Where is the baby dragon?"

I smiled "Asleep in my pocket at the moment. Why do you ask?

Cryss said "Someone who could give up a baby dragon so easily does not deserve to be bonded with one. Please give her to me. I will take care of her till the right person can be found for her to bond with."

I said "No, I think I will look after her till Monday. She is safe where she is."

Skya said in that crystalline sounds "I agree mother should take care of her." We did get trough dinner and I went back to studying. I let Grandmother teach them potions tonight. It did not take long to get lost in my studies. I was into a history I would never need when I felt Ben's strong hands on my shoulders.

He said "Are you going to study all night?" His hands began to rub my cares away.

I said "No dear love, I'll quit for the night now. Earth history is not going to do me very much good but it is part of the test. Now if they had asked about the history of Sanctuary or even Crystalis that would be useful. Maybe I'll talk to the Headmaster about getting more useful history classes and to change the test after this is over. I'll think about talking to the others and come up with a comprehensive history of Sanctuary. That would be a fun project."

He smiled "Right now my love we both need some sleep. So lets go to bed." So we went upstairs hand in hand. Another fast night then off we all went to work again. I settled in at the classroom to talk for two hours. when a package arrived from Janis's place. In it was a bag of holding, a bracelet, a staff and a spell book. The note that came with it was heartbreaking. It was from Teladona. She had made up her mind and had decided she would not be coming back. I put the items in my bag. I will decide what to do about them later. Right now class was going to start.

I started by talking about confidence and how loss of it could destroy a mages life. I spoke with conviction and ended that segment with a statement. I said "I am sorry to tell you that Teladona will not be returning to class. She has had a profound loss of confidence and has decided to return home. I don't know if she will ever seek classes in higher magic." This disturbed the class. I switched to talking about harmony spells. That is how I finished the class. Grandmother showed up and had lunch with us. Everyone was quiet through lunch.

Grandmother took over the class after lunch I just sat at my desk and studied. It was a good way to pass two hours. Grandmother and I were leaving class when the Headmaster came up and said "Do you have room in class for one more? We have a transfer student that just got here. She tested quite high. Her name is Josie RedRiver, here is her file look it over. I will introduce you to her." I glanced at her file High ranks in Crystal (s), Metal (s), Fire, and Darkness (s). That was a odd combination of magic's. She is 15 and a transfer from Big Rock Canyon School for Girls. Never heard of that one. We were led to the office where there was this gangly girl waiting. She was reading a text book on history. Dang it she is taller than me. We were introduced then I looked her up and down. The way she held herself is like she was ready to fight.

I said "So you are transferring into my class you have a lot to catch up on." I took out Teladona's spell book and eliminated a few things then handed it to her. "This should get you started. Let me know Monday if you have any questions or troubles. You know where the class room is?" Dona the baby dragon stuck her head out of my pocket and sniffed. Skya came in the window and landed on my shoulder looking down at Dona. They talked for a moment or two then Dona worked her way out of my pocket and took to the air. She flew around me once then headed for the new girl. Josie caught the little one and smiled. I said "You have been chosen to raise this little one do you accept this honor and all that comes with it?"

She looked at me "What type of Dragon is this I have never seen the like before except the one on your shoulder? Yes I will accept this little one with all my heart. My family has been raising Dragons for generations. Please tell me more about this one?"

I said with pride "That is a Crystal dragon one of only 14 currently anywhere. The race is only found here in Sanctuary." The little one made the sound again and I took out a crystal chip and handed it to her. She started eating the chip. "Her current name is Dona but you can change it if you like."

She smiled "I think I'll call her Shela. Please tell me more about this kind of dragon. I would like to know where they come from and everything I can?"

Grandmother had to open her mouth. "That question is simple to answer. Where they come from is from Embers skilled hands and magic."

I said "It was an little more involved than that, not much but it is. It sounds like it is story time again. Why don't you come have dinner with us and I will answer most of your questions. The history of the Dragons of Sanctuary is short but intense."

The Headmaster said "Could I impose on you to take her in for the weekend? We don't have a room for her yet so please?"

I looked at the Headmaster "You owe me one!" I turned to Josie "All right get your stuff and lets go. Looks like we will have plenty of time to talk." We walked out and down the path to the house. Along the way I told her the tale of the Dragons of Sanctuary. I told the truth but made it sound more than it was. Truth was simple I was fooling around with heavy magic and the Dragons were born. I finished just as we got to the house.

She looked at the place and said "This place is huge what are you some sort of princess or something?" That cracked up Grandmother. "What did I say?"

I said "I guess no one told you who I am. I am pretty widely known. No one even gave you a hint? Well that is at least something."

Grandmother Said "This is my Granddaughter Her Highness Ember Rose Del La Silver Skyflower-Starstone, Princess of Sanctuary and Crystalis, Grand Mage of Sanctuary." I interrupted her at that point.

I said "That's fine those are the important ones. If you list the rest we will miss dinner. Let's head inside." When I entered the house I got a surprise. Angel and Mother were visiting.

As soon as Josie entered Angel said "Oh a new face!" She came up to Josie and said "And who would you be?"

I answered for her "Josie this is my sister Angel. Angel this is Josie she is a new student of mine she will be staying the weekend while they make room for her in the dorm." I went around the room making introductions with out using titles. "Well if everyone is going to stay then we need more rooms." I headed out the back door I noticed angel was pulling Josie along to watch. I brought out my staff and pointed at the back of the house and added 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. "There that makes a 10 bedroom and 11 bath house. I added 5 empty rooms to be used later." I put the staff away. Josie's eyes were wide. Skya swooped down and landed on my shoulder and tapped my pocket. "You can at least say please." Skya made a sound that halfway through changed to words.

She said "Please Mother." I smiled and handed her two. She was very happy. Josie looked like she was going to faint.

I said "Take it easy Josie this is normal around here. Let's go back inside.

To be continued

As always all Life giving Comments Welcome and loved!

up
175 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great chapter!

You've either got a great imagination, or you've read books that I haven't. You come up with the coolest ideas. I really hope Josie isn't a spy/assassin, nobody has tried to kill Ember in a few chapters, it's about time for our heroine to kick some bad guy ass again.

nomad

the price paid

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Ember did warn them that the magiks come with a price, I believe they will really pay attention now. Interesting development with the offspring of the brood. I do hope the girl finds her confidence again and resumes her education. another great chapter Gypsy! read, commented, kudo'ed, enjoyed!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

A loss of confidence in

A loss of confidence in anything is sad, however to lose such in a major thing in your life is indeed a hard and difficult thing to reclaim.

Don't Understand the Claws...

Good chapter. I thought at first that Josie was a spy and a shape-changer -- possibly our Loki-girl again. But I think between Grandmother and Ember they'd have spotted a shape change and wouldn't have allowed her to bond with the young dragon. (Then again, if her shape change were permanent due to the Curse, perhaps not.) Anyway, we haven't yet seen Josie actually perform any of the abilities that her records say that she has, so I guess it's still possible that she's an impostor. (I briefly wondered if her transcript included a picture, but if her previous school didn't exist, she wouldn't need to change her appearance.)

But the claws: did Ember make that part up or something? This is the first time it's turned up, and clearly it's not part of her regular appearance, since she generated them for the lesson. Also, she thought her boy form was the real one for at least the first ten years of her life, far longer than her time in the Pits on Crystalis. Why didn't that form become permanent?

Along the same lines, the way I read her explanation, if she used change magic to eliminate the claws, they'd stay eliminated, though what replaced them might not be human fingers. Possibly not worth the risk for most mages, but Ember herself seems sufficiently sophisticated and strong now to avoid that pitfall.

The principle of the Curse is consistent with the story so far, though -- which makes me a bit surprised that she's not only using her wings regularly, but having others join her -- even though we now seem to have discovered that they're more at risk for keeping them permanently than she is.

Eric

Darkness

Thats something new here: darkness. Does that mean dark magic. I dont think Ember and family will allowed dark magic in Santuary am I right? Unless darkness is some other type of magic.