Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2704

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2704
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

I changed into my riding kit and donned a gilet, the sun was nice but that breeze was cool verging on cold. I slipped on my cycling shoes and did up the ratchet fixings on them then clomped out to the shed with my helmet and mitts in my hand. Unlocking the door I brought out the three bikes we’d be using, mine was the Specialized. By the time the other two had arrived I’d checked the tyres and pumped some air into one of Trish’s.

“Can I have some pedals like Trish’s, Auntie Cathy.”

“Let’s get you used to riding the bike first, Trish has had hers for some time.” She had basic toe clip things, Hannah had simple pedals which are safer to use for beginners. Hannah had ridden bikes before but I wanted her happy with the different feel of a road bike and the brakes and gear changers. A few more rides and I’ll feel happier about changing pedals for something a bit better.

Riding with these two wasn’t going to be much of a workout but it had to be better than sitting about. We set off at ten miles an hour and I was expecting them to complain in half a mile. To my surprise they didn’t, in fact Hannah asked if we could go a little faster, so I increased it to twelve miles an hour.

Okay it wasn’t racing speed but my companions are only ten years old. I thought they did really well and on the way back, Hannah actually set the pace at fifteen mph. Trish struggled but wasn’t going to let another girl beat her, so she gamely stayed with us. An hour and a half later we were home, having had a cake and a drink whilst out.

“Goodness, you all look a bit flushed,” declared Simon.

“We’ve been cycling,” I said stating the obvious, we were all wearing cycling gear.

“Ah, so it wasn’t shark fishing?”

“Simon, use your loaf for more than making sandwiches. Do we look like we’ve been shark fishing?”

“Now you come to mention it, no you don’t.”

“We couldn’t get Kiki to act as bait for us.”

“As a dogfish?”

That was genuinely funny for him, though dogfish are small sharks, being cartilaginous fish unlike herring which are bony fish. It’s thought the sharks and their kin are older species than some bony fish but are so successful that they still compete with their younger brethren, who frequently end up as meals. Sharks are extremely efficient hunters being designed for finding and catching prey which can vary by the size of the hunter. Great whites, such as featured in the film Jaws are thought to take prey items as large as elephant seals, which can weigh up to a ton. Interestingly, the largest of the sharks, the whale shark, eats tiny creatures like plankton and is relatively harmless.

I get confused as to the status of sharks, sometimes we’re being told they could be endangered or certain species are, the next it appears they’re laying waste surfers and divers along the coasts of Australia or California. However, one thing which humans do which is despicable, is to make shark fin soup, a Chinese delicacy and frequently this means hunters simply cutting the dorsal fin off the back of the shark and leaving it to drown. The rest of the fish isn’t used and it’s done on an industrial scale, with areas the size of football pitches being used to dry the fins in the sun. I believe after pressure from various conservation bodies, several governments have pressured the Chinese to control the hunting of the sharks.

I’m not a good swimmer so the idea of scuba diving doesn’t really appeal, besides the experts like Cousteau made it look so easy, anyone who can’t do it after a five minute lesson, seems to be disappointed. I’d love to see beneath the sea, but don’t think I’d ever make the grade for serious diving. I’ll stick to swimming in a pool, preferably the one in the yard of the villa in Menorca.

I was genuinely pleased with the girls, they’d both risen to the challenge and given me a gentle work out and we’d done about a dozen miles. Hannah was asking about longer rides and I pointed out that would involve some hill climbs. Trish seemed to lose interest at this point, but Hannah was still keen.

Then it was a case of a quick change and off to do the dormouse count. Danni had been supposed to help us and when I texted her, she apologised and said she’d forgotten. I told her not to forget her soccer game.

At the woodland, we entered the survey area and both of the girls had something to carry. Trish had the big bag for placing the nest boxes in when we suspected there might be residents, while Hannah carried my spring balance and a small bag for weighing any we found.

Unfortunately, I had to check all the boxes because neither of my assistants was tall enough to see into the boxes nor to lift them down off the posts or trees they were tied to, so that fell to me. We had forty boxes to do, though most would be empty, we should find one or two occupied. Delia arrived after we’d done the first quadrant, which had proved fruitless. Now we had two adults it would move along a bit quicker. Apparently, she’d had to wait for her mother to come home before she could borrow the car to drive out to us. She had sent me a text but I’d not heard it arrive.

Hannah got to handle her first wild dormouse, a young male who simply blinked back at her when she held him. I took a photo to record the event. Delia got to weigh the second one which was a larger specimen and appeared unchipped according to my reader, so while they checked the next couple of boxes, I injected a silicon chip under the skin of its back and recorded the number of it. We’d recognise that mouse if we caught him again. When I released him he seemed none the worse for his ordeal.

Trish go to do the last mouse we caught—to weigh it and sex it. She was spot on in identifying it as female and we discovered it was two years old and had been previously chipped. I checked the number against my list and then recorded it again as present.

My three companions were all enthralled by meeting our little furry friends and Hannah said she wanted to be a biologist too. Trish was more circumspect though when I suggested she could always do quantum biology, she sounded more positive. I found the ordinary stuff challenging enough without thinking about the effect of proton tunnels in birds' brains. Nah, I’m just an over qualified bean counter, but I enjoy it.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
245 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Helping in a project such as

Helping in a project such as Cathy has going on would be a nice way to spend a day or two if the weather was good while you are tromping around the woodlands. The projects that I find amazing and frightfully so are those where people are willing to crawl into a cave or den where Bears, or mountain lions or the like are hibernating; checking them for medical issues, checking any cubs they may have had and then dental work followed up by tagging if necessary.
That definitely takes steel nerves, because you are dealing with the top predators in the food chain on land, and you can never know just how it is going to turn out.

I can imagine Cathy snorkelling

Rhona McCloud's picture

Scuba diving can be a pain as there is so much equipment to wear but snorkelling in shallow water where the sunlight shows the colours is something that takes less effort than normal swimming and which Cathy and the girls might try in Majorca where there are no great whites but avoiding getting stuck by anemone spines takes care.

Rhona McCloud

Sharks too busy to bite

Rhona McCloud's picture

“Some experts believe that the Mediterranean is a nursery where great white sharks give birth and raise their young. The Sicilian channel, near the Italian island of Lampedusa, is the only location in the Atlantic region where both pregnant females and newly born great whites have been sighted.” BBC Oceans.

Hopefully that means that any great whites around Majorca will be otherwise engaged.

Rhona McCloud

Funny - we're planning a "Take Your Child To Work" day

in my workplace. Cathy is already doing it. This kind of thing is great for kids - see what their parents actually do all day. I was a software developer when my kids were growing up and it's really difficult to explain that to a young child. (Taught one of my daughters to program when she got older.)

That was my thought too

I doubt we can interrogate the wee thing *squeak* *sqeee* *squirr* *weee* *twrrrrr* and find out if it is annoyed at this big honking hard piece of silicon under its skin.

BTW, FWIW just got bitten again by a skeeter and I am wearing repellant and everything. Time to change repellants I guess. Point is, not all wildlife is that friendly.

Decent weather

Podracer's picture

Reasonable outdoor conditions make it easier to get out and "doing" so it's nice to see some everyday Cameron life in the fresh air. I really have to get this backside off the computer chair now, and forestall further fat deposits. Ride now, chores later..

Edit: Short tour of wind farm country later. Several bugs swallowed, though not the one which briefly hitched a ride buzzing in my helmet. And not quite enough calories to make up for the miles. Lunch - noodles, lentils & Branston pickle.

"Reach for the sun."

Dormouse and chips

I prefer my usual cod with chips, having said that we must not confuse them with with the Roman delicacy the edible dormouse Glis Glis.

Thank you so much Angharad for keeping your lovely story going. Having passed 2700 episodes this week I look forward to printing off my copy as usual. Thanks for all the time and effort you put in to assuage the withdrawal symptoms we 'bike' addicts suffer from.
Love to you and all your readers
Anne G.

Always

Always nice to see a productive session where there isn't poaching, etc. Shows poaching isn't universal and gets the kids a nice outing.

Thanks,
Annette

Real Life Impinging on This Story ?

Dear Angharad,

I don't know if you saw this, but yesterday the Journal of Experimental Child Psychology (!??!) published the result of a survey conducted by the Psychology Dept. of Plymouth University, where they discovered that mothers of children of 11-12 years of age over-estimated the happiness of the children they had in the family, whilst mothers of children of 15-16 UNDER-estimated the happiness their children had !

I THINK I got the figures right, but during the attempt to send this we had 2 short power-cuts which meant I had to start all over again. This is by no means unusual hereabouts - either a post carrying a cable blew over, or someone dug through one that was buried as a simple plastic- coated cable, which often happens as there are no plans to show where exactly they are buried - most houses hereabouts are ex military base ones and such information was a military secret and by now any plans that were if any ever were will have been destroyed or lost of stolen by the enemy.

I thought the journal item might amuse you. Angharad, I am amazed at how you can do it, day after day, after week, after month even, find something new and interesting to entertain us all with "AEAFOAB". I am sure pretty well everybody will agree with me about how fabulous this incredible achievement of yours continues...

I read somewhere that people who are supplied with something that they like or enjoy are 50 x less likely to write in to thank the Supplier than people who are NOT satisfied are likely to write in and complain.
This kind of supports my hypothesis that humans are a nasty lot, basically. Anyway, I hope some more people will read this and decide to write to thank you or at least give a click to add a kudo point to you for maintaining a really good yarn

Thank you very very very much, Angharad.

Briar

Great Whites.

There ARE great whites in the Med! I saw a couple of them once when we had to stop the ship for an engine repair to one of the diesel injectors. The ship was stopped dead in the water and two large sharks were lazily circling around the ship for nearly an hour. Needless to say we were all surprised because we all thought the Med was 'shark-free'.

One of the stewards took a large bone with some meat still attached from the galley and tossed it into the water for the sharks to eat. The splash disturbed them and they swam away briefly while the bone sank like the proverbial stone. They came back but we never saw them eating any bones.

Naturally we took photographs and sent them away with the 'End-of-voyage' meteorological and scientific reports to the met office in Bracknell. A few months later when we returned to Liverpool we got a lovely letter from the oceanography and marine biology department advising us that they were white sharks. Truly there were some sober expressions because when a ship has to stop in calm conditions because of some small engine repair it's not unusual to lower the gangway into the water and take a brief dip around the bottom of the gangway.

Also when ships anchor off, as they used to do in many Mediterranean ports, the crew would go swimming each evening. The sharks were cause for much comment.

It seems white sharks range much further than first thought.

Still lovin' it,

Bev.

bev_1.jpg