A prisoner in my own mind 6

Printer-friendly version

A prisoner in my own mind

Sydney Moya

© 2015

All rights reserved


Synopsis

Ashley touches an alien artefact one day and an alien invades his body with incredible results.

Chapter 6

“Have a nice day sweetie,” said Lorna before kissing her new daughter on the cheek.

“Thanks Mum,” said Jav with a nervous smile.

“Don’t worry, you’ll be alright, the other kids won’t eat you,”

“Easy for you to say,” the teen murmured, “you didn’t go from boy to girl over the summer,” Jav joked.

Lorna laughed and gave her baby a hug.

“You’ll be okay, now off with you,” she advised.

It was a nervous Jav who stood in front of her new school after being dropped off by Lorna.

‘Why did you have to choose this pretentious school?’ Ashley asked.

‘It guarantees entry into Cambridge dunnit,’ Jav replied before walking into the school.

‘How did you get it in anyway and what are you taking?’

Ashley had been under at the time and didn’t see the interview.

“Why did I ask?’ he murmured when he saw Jav reading the Head’s mind. He was startled at Jav’s choices though, ‘Further Maths, are you effing mad?’

“It’s not like I can wake up and start revolutionising your sciences without a background can I? Don’t you worry about that though,” said Jav confidently before walking into the school.

She headed towards the Hall as they’d been told to do during orientation a couple of days before. Being as attractive as she was it immediately brought a lot of stares from both sexes, a mixture of lust and envy. Jav wished Marco was here but unfortunately he’d gone back to Whitemount as his parents considered it an excellent school.

The assembly was long and boring in Ashley’s eyes but Jav didn’t mind and she lapped up the information the Head gave. When it was over they headed to their class teacher for registration which lasted for one period. Lessons commenced immediately after that.

The first class was a Physics lesson taught by a Mr Hemming. He didn’t’ teach anything but just gave an overview of what they’d be covering during the coming school year. The other lessons were the same except for Further Math’s where one boy asked her if she was lost.

“This is Further Maths right?” Jav asked.

“Yes it is,” he answered

“Great,” Jav replied before looking around for a seat.

The other kids stared at her. It was then that Jav realised the other six in her class were all male. She decided to use her telepathic abilities for the first time that day just for fun you see.

Being able to read minds was an interesting power to have at that moment, as nearly all the boys thought she looked great. A couple of them wondered what on earth she was doing here as girls weren’t into Further Maths. One actually thought she shouldn’t even be in the classroom. The rest thought she was hot but one’s thoughts caught her attention.

‘I wish I looked like that,’ he thought.

Jav looked straight at him and smiled. She walked over and asked to sit.

“Um sure,” said the boy, who looked amazed.

Ashley immediately piped up, ‘I don’t like you reading people’s minds. It’s like you’re stealing something,’ he said feeling sorry for him as Jav trawled through his surface thoughts.

Jav ignored him but noted that Ashley sympathised with this transgendered kid.

She offered her hand, “I’m Ashley Smith,” she said with her winning smile.

“Lesley Marshall,’ offered the young man who was anything but, “It’s a pleasure,”

“Thank you,” said Jav happily.

Their teacher walked in a second later and the lesson commenced. He stared at her for a second.

‘A girl at last,’ he thought happily much to Jav's surprise.

It had been 5 years since he’d taught a girl in this class and it wasn’t for want of trying. Girls didn’t seem too interested in Further Maths it seemed.

He introduced himself as Mr Mitchell then asked the rest of the class to do the same before he launched into an outline of what they’d cover in their two years here. He talked about Mathematics and as he talked even Ashley was won over by the man’s passion. He loved the subject and it was contagious.

He asked each of them what they wanted to do after school and all of them responded with interesting ideas.

Jav announced that she wanted to find out if there was intelligent life in the universe which to her surprise wasn’t greeted with laughter or doubts but with people nodding their heads. She realised that not all humans were sheep, at least all the time and she was left with a lot to think about.

The rest of the day passed quite quickly. Jav stuck to Lesley for the rest of the day. He showed her around and told her about his life. He was 16, one of three kids, with one older brother and a younger sister. His mother and father were barristers. He liked gaming and reading and was fascinated by Mathematics and wanted to enter the Math’s Olympiad. Of course he didn’t tell her he ached to be a girl and that he had no real friends and was in a lot of pain about it. Lesley also wasn’t attracted to her, he just thought that it was nice to have someone to talk to and wondered if it he’d ever look half as good as she did. Jav simply scanned his mind and saw it. She felt sorry for him and realised how bad it must be to be trapped in a body you didn’t want. It was a good thing Ashley couldn’t read her thoughts because she realised that humans took their gender very seriously.

The school day ended with a trip to the PE department so she could sign up for the sporting activity she was required to participate in. All pupils at their school were expected to take part in at least one sporting activity and one social club as well. Jav signed up for hockey as she knew Ashley had played it and had the stuff at home. Lesley chose two clubs to ensure he didn’t have to do a sport as he hated them with a passion. He wasn’t nearly as big as the other boys and was uncoordinated and didn’t want to develop muscles either though she didn’t tell this to Jav.

When they done they headed to the carpark where she said her goodbyes to him and went to her mother’s car where Reagan was already seated looking bored. This was rectified by the arrival of a text and her countenance changed instantly.

‘Don’t make me like that,’ Ashley warned.

Jav ignored him.

“Hi Mum, hi sis,” she said after flouncing into the car.

‘Hi honey,” said Lorna.

“Hey,” said Reagan as she texted furiously on her mobile.

“How was your day?” Lorna asked.

“It was ok,”

“Did you make any friends?”

“Yeah I made one. His name’s Lesley,”

“A boy,” said Lorna, her expression quizzical.

Jav nodded, “None of the girls talked to me,” she said, “and there aren’t any in my Further Maths class,”

“I bet their talking about you,” muttered Reagan.

"Why?" Jav asked.

"Coz you're the new girl," said Reagan, "you might be a threat," she added.

"Me a threat, no way," said Jav slowly.

"You have a lot to learn," said Reagan without looking up from her phone.

She didn't bother to elaborate.

“You’re the only girl in Further Maths?” Lorna asked

Jav nodded, “There are only seven of us any way. I have hockey practice tomorrow so we’ll see,”

***

On arriving home Jav had done her schoolwork before changing into her football shirt and jeans and heading over to Marco's so they could do some gaming.

"How come you never showed at school today?" Marco asked.

"I changed schools. I go to Rydings now," she explained.

"Serious?" Marco asked his eyes wide.

Jav nodded, "Yeah I couldn't go back to Whitemount as a girl could I?"

"Oh, I guess you're right but you should have said," said Marco.

He sometimes forgot his best friend wasn't a boy anymore as her personality was still the same and nothing had changed between them. Ashley still acted the same and liked the same things aside from sometimes wearing skirts and dresses, she was essentially unchanged.

"You never asked," said Jav, shrugging.

"So what are you taking?" Marco asked.

"Further Math's, Physics, Biology and Chemistry," said Jav.

“What!" Marco exclaimed, stunned.

"NO WAY!"

Jav smiled sweetly, "Hey I have to be serious with life now that I'm a girl you know. Life's harder for us," she joked.

Marco shook his head, "I can’t believe you’re doing Further Math’s and at Rydings too!” he exclaimed.

Jav shrugged, she hadn’t really specified what she’d be doing for her ‘A’ levels or shared her ambitions for the future.

"Better believe it boyo," she remarked, “It isn’t too bad,” she added at the disbelieving look on her pals face.

“Mate you’re the one who told me you couldn’t wait to finish your GCSE’S so you could never do another quadratic equation again. You said it was mental torture! What other secrets are you hiding?”

“I’m an alien who took over your friend’s body and turned him into a girl,” said Jav with a serious face.

Marco burst out laughing, “You’re the worst,’’ he added, shaking his friend at his friends joke.

Ashley groaned from his mental prison.

‘You humans are so strange,’ Jav told Ashley, ‘I tell him the truth and he laughs. Just like your dad asking what I’d done with you. I find your sense of humour fascinating,’

“So how is your posh school?” Marco asked as he signed into the PlayStation network so they could continue their quest.

“Very posh daahling..caan’t you tell from my accent,” said Jav.

“Geroff,” said Marco, rolling his eyes, “I’m serious,” he added.

“S’okay, so far,” Jav asked.

“Any cute chicks?”

“Some,” said Jav as if considering it.

In truth she’d already ranked herself against the girls she’d seen at her new school and found most of them wanting. A part of her wondered if Marco found her cute.

‘Eew!’ Ashley said.

“Hook me up,” teased Marco.

Jav snorted, “They are a bunch of stuck-up toffs. They make Reagan seem adorable,”

Marco looked at his friend questioningly but she didn’t care to elaborate.

They played their game getting into it as before and Mrs Guildford had to remind them to keep the noise down as they yelled and cheered.

She shook her head and thought, ‘Boys will be boys,’ before shaking her head as she recalled Ashley wasn’t a boy anymore. In fact she was quite a lovely young woman even though she never dressed like one when she visited.

***

Reagan was still fuming over how Jav had outwitted her in Italy. She felt threatened by her sibling for the first time in a long time. Jav was a lovely girl and she seemed to know it and show it off for the best effect.

She had their parents wrapped around her little fingers and seemed well-adjusted. She’d made being a girl a walk in the park. It seemed Ashley was also incredibly brainy, taking Further Maths at A’ Level was something she wouldn’t have expected Ashley to do but Rydings had given her place and that was a school to write home about. Who would have thought it?

What worried her most was that Ashley seemed to have rumbled her in Italy, how on earth had she known she’d outed her to that American?

That wink proved it, was she going to tell their parents? She hadn’t said a thing about it since then though. They hardly talked anyway and when they did Ashley had been quite nice and polite but she was worried what all this meant. Deep down she loved Ashley but they’d never been close save for a short time as when they were very young. He’d been a very gentle child which is why he had so few friends as this wasn’t a characteristic suited to the rough and tumble of the world of boys. Reagan had been made of sterner stuff though and quickly learnt how to navigate the world to her advantage. Everything in her life was managed including her hapless brother. This new sister of hers was something else though. Ashley’s old persona seemed to be still inside but there was something different about her, gender change excluded. That wink, the dressing, the ambitious schooling choices spoke of a different Ashley, one she didn’t know how to deal with.

She’d never envied Ashley for anything but now she did and she didn’t like it all. She sat on her bed wondering what to do about this.

To be continued

up
96 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos