Beyond the Tales Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version


Beyond the Tales

Book 2

Chapter 3

Potion Trouble


jzgtj9.jpg

There was a flash and all the staffs glowed for a few moments. We lowered our staffs with smiles all the way around. Hmm I wonder what that was about. I looked at the clock and dismissed the class for the day. I cleaned up and headed for Janis's place. I needed to check on the girl I found out cold in the girls restroom at the dance and I needed to talk to Janis about being Pregnant.

When I got to the house Janis looked a little frazzled. I said "What is it, the girl you brought here from the dance?"

She said "That girl is registered as a boy. The allergy was to something in the potion he took. He said it was only to last as long as the dance but he has not changed back. This is more your area than mine will you look at her?"

I said "Of course. Was the potions container found?" she nodded. "I would like to see it. Then I will see her. What name did she give you?"

She smiled "Alexis at first then when she did not turn back she told the truth of Alex." She showed me a small bottle with what's left of a bluish liquid in it. I cast a identify spell and after it was done I sighed. Janis looked at me with concern. She said "It is bad. I know that face, I have wore it enough times."

I frowned "Come on I need to talk to her." she led me to the back of the house where there was a set of rooms for the sick. She pointed to the room with a three on the door. I changed into full Grand Mage outfit then opened the door. I looked at the girl in the bed and steeled my self for the task ahead. She sat up when we entered. She looked a little afraid. She should be. I looked at her "Do you know who I am?"

She said "Yes, you are the Grand Mage. Everyone knows you!"

I said "Where did you get the potion?"

She said "My buddy's challenged me to drink it and go to the dance. I don't know where they got it. When will I change back?"

I gave her a stern look "I am afraid you won't change back. The potion was not a short term one but a shape change. The shape you now have is the one you will have for a very long time. You may grow up to be a nice looking woman or you may be stuck as a girl. I do not know yet. The thing is this is powerful magic and it should not be in the hands of children. I need to know the names of the ones who gave you this!" I stepped forward and held my hand over her chest sensing her magic level. It was pulsing, she was not done changing. We certainly don't need a potion problem going around. Then I felt it the form she will take. "Check her back Janis." Janis moved around to get a good look at the girls back. She gasped when she did. I know she found the wing buds. "I need those names! I have to track this down before it happens to some one else!"

Alexis said "All right give me a piece of paper an pen. What's happening to my back? It feels funny."

As she started to write out the names, I called Ben to come right away. As soon as she handed me the paper I said "You are growing wings. It will take a while but they will grow." Alexis looked stunned. I went out side as Ben and 4 knights strode up. I quickly told him the situation and sent him after the boys. I stepped back inside and into room three. Alexis was crying and Janis was holding her. "Janis can you get Dixie to get her dressed. I need to talk to you on another matter." Janis called Dixie into the room and gave instructions. Then showed me to her office. Once we were seated I told her the tale of my dream then said "I'm Pregnant. I know it is true but I need a second opinion."

Janis looked at me for a long time then said "Up on the exam table please." She went over me from head to toe twice and finally said "You are in great heath and you are about 3 months pregnant. Soon you will be starting to show have you told Ben?" I nodded. "There are some foods you should eat more of and some to eat less or none of. I will give you a list." She got up and pulled a file from her desk and handed me two pieces of paper. "I want to see you every two weeks for now. When it gets closer to the due date we will make it once a week. You are in luck I am also a midwife. We need to get another trained midwife here sooner or later. It has not come up till now." I nodded.

My ring jingled. I answered it "Yes Ben, Do you have the boys?"

Bens voice came through "I have the four but it seemed they have sampled potions as well. I am bringing them to Janis." He broke the link.

The ring buzzed meaning Fran still had her ring on. "Yes Fran what do you need?"

Fran said "I am missing several students Alex Whip, Troy Stevens, Jerry Foster, Henry Cole and Mike Rogers. I was told that some knights were asking about them. Do you know what's happening?"

I said "I can't go into it right now but you might not be getting those boys back. That is all I can say right now." I broke the link. I looked at Janis "This is bad. If those boys are changed like Alexis it means trouble." A quarter of an hour later Ben and his knights led 4 six year old girls in. But they weren't normal girls, they were kitten girls. I looked at Ben "Were did you find them?"

Ben said "In their rooms with the doors locked. I brought the vials they drank from." He handed me 4 bags. "They are quite playful when they woke up but I don't think you will get much out of them."

I took hold of one and looked into her eyes. She mewed at me. I cast a translate spell it came out as Help! I was not good with potions so I would have to call in some help. I just hoped I could get these kids back to themselves. I looked over to Janis "Will you look after this bunch for a few days I will see what I can do about changing them back." Janis nodded. I took the vials and the bottle from Alexis and headed home.

When I got there I used my mirror to call Grandmother. She was good with transformation spells and potions. Soon she answered the link "Ember how are you girl? Oh, by the look on your face there is trouble. All right tell me all about it." So I did just that and she said "I'll be there in the morning we will have breakfast and talk it over."

I said "I have class at 9:30 am so make it early please."

She asked "What class you taking? It's summer."

I smiled "Not taking, Teaching. Advanced Magic. I know I should be able to do something for these kids but Transformation potions are your area. I just don't want to mess it up and hurt these kids. Oh by the way, I'm Pregnant."

After a moment she said "I'll be there in an hour." She broke the link. Ben came up and started rubbing my shoulders. That felt good. But I did not have time for this.

I said "I'll be in my study when she gets here. I need to do some research. I am not that up on countering potions." I did not move right away. Dang he gives good shoulder rubs. I finally did go in my study and pulled out my spell books and reference books looking for transformation spells or one on potions. Then I sat and read. Sasha brought me some tea. I was reading a rather dry passage about transformation magic when the door opened and in walked not only Grandmother but Mother as well and a moment later Angel. Well this is big time. I started to get up but Grandmother waved me to sit. The door was closed.

Grandmother said "First lets get the Potion trouble out of the way." I handed her the bags. She looked them over, She held up the bottle with its remains of blue liquid. She shook her head. "You say this one changed a boy into a girl and now she is growing wings?" I nodded. "It is different from the others. This one is fairly hard to counter after the first 3 hours. These others are bad. They are made to be unchangeable in 1 hour. I may be able to change them back some but not all the way. The winged girl I will have to see before I know. That is all I can say at this time about that. As for your other news. Explain now!"

I took a deep breath "I am about 3 months pregnant. This is of course news to me because Ben and I have not gone all the way yet. We agreed not to until I am over 16. Well there's the Dream I had that told me I had changed the worlds. There was another part of that dream that they said they were giving me a gift then touched my belly. Somehow I know this is what they were talking about. I don't know how I know but I do. I went to Janis today after I seen Alexis and was waiting for Ben to get back. She gave me the once over twice and said I was three months pregnant. She is a midwife as well as healer so she knows what to do. She suggested that we get another midwife just in case."

Mother said "I will send one over in the next few days."

Grandmother said "This is inconvenient, magic tends to be tied to the emotions and they can go wild during pregnancy. With someone so young it is going to be bad. Hormones are already all over the place this is going to drive them into overdrive."

I said "That's just it, I am calmer than I have ever been. This Potion problem should have me angry but I am not. I am not sure why but I am not going hot like I used to. Last night at the Dance When Tamara was trying to rile me up I stayed cool instead Angel got hot."

Grand mother turned to Angel "Why did you get hot as Ember put it?"

Angel looked down "I don't know I have not been myself lately. I thought it might be the flu as I was sick this morning." Grandmother got up and went over to me. She held her hand over my belly. She nodded. Then she went over to Angel and held her hand the same way. Her eyes got big and she started to swear.

Grandmother finally sat down and said "Your both are Pregnant! Your link has caused this. I say you will give birth about the same time. You link is messing up and giving you traits of the other."

I said half in a daze "Three, The lost one will come home and all shall start again. And by his hand the choice will be made." Then I passed out.

I was in bed when I woke. There was voices nearby so I listened as I woke up. Grandmother said "Was there another child, a boy, you did not tell me about? I thought Eric was the only boy."

Mother said "There was another a boy that was born two years before the others. he was born a month early. It could not be him I was told he died just after birth. I never even held him."

I don't know why but I said "At first they thought he died but a nurse was going to take him away she caught that he was alive. You were already told that he died. She snuck him out. She was childless and took him for her own. He is coming back to find what he had lost."

Grandmother said "You have a link with him don't you? You know what has happened to him and are telling us."

I sat up slowly "It is intermittent I get flashes of his life. Its happened only lately though. He is not a mage but a knight. He is closer than we think. He may be here at Sanctuary already. He is not hiding, he just found out who he is. He does not know what he will do about it. He is waiting and watching. The link is getting stronger soon I will be able to find him. Now I have to get ready for class I am giving out the next project today."

Grandmother said "Your going to stay in bed today. I will take your class. I will look after those changelings after class is out. What is the project?"

I laid back "The mini spell books. There is one over there with my notes. I warn you there has been Princesses showing up without signing up for the class. If there is one just send them to the office to sign up if they can. Just watch it if there is more than 6 in the classroom." Grandmother nodded and went out of the room. Mother sat and smoothed my hair. She began to sing a old lullaby and I was soon fast asleep.

I woke from hunger about mid day. I pushed out of bed and dressed. I was feeling a little light headed but better. I made it down to the kitchen where Mother was sitting having tea. She frowned as I sat at the table. I asked Sasha for a salad and sandwich as she set down my tea. Mother said "You should not be up yet. You should be sleeping."

I said "I haven't eaten anything since lunch yesterday. I need to eat regularly if for no other reason as I am eating for two now. I will be fine, I slept as much as I could. I may take a nap later but food is needed right now." No claws out, just statements of fact.

She sighed "Can you still feel him? Is he going to show up soon."

I looked away for a moment. I said "He is still out there. He is certainly in sanctuary. I can try to call him here if you want? The link is pretty strong right now. I will try that after I eat." Sasha put down my meal. I took a moment to thank the goddess and then dug in. I felt better after eating. "Let's go sit on the porch and I will try to call him here."

So Mother and I took seats on the porch. I used the link I seem to have with my brother to ask him to come to me. A half hour later a lone knight came into view. He was tall and sharp looking. He strode to the house an when our eyes locked he smiled an went down on one knee. I stood and went down the steps and took his hands and pulled him up. He was looking down into my eyes searching to see if what he felt was true. I smiled "Welcome home big Brother. We have been waiting for you." Mother was still standing on the porch. She came down now with tears in her eyes.

She said "Yes Welcome home, My Son!" I smiled as he hugged her. I looked him over tall and strong. Very good big brother material. Two years older than me that would make him 18 I think. This will be nice. If I had stayed Eric would I have been like him? Well that ship has sailed a long time ago. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Ben striding up. He did not look happy.

I went over to him and before he could say anything. I said "Ben my love, I would like you to meet My Big Brother. His name is Prince Samuel John Del Silver Skyflower." Mother smiled that I slipped in my last name not just hers. Ben looked at me with his, We are going to talk about this, face. I just smiled back at him. He lost this round.

He looked at The Prince and said "Looks like you are needed here so you are on detached duty for the foreseeable future. He bowed and left.

Sam said "He does not like me. I don't know what detached duty is? I am letting the squad down."

I smiled at him "I don't think he has a problem with you. It's me he is mad at. But we will talk it out when he gets home tonight." At his puzzled look "He and I are married. As for detached duty, all that means you are working for me for awhile. Don't worry about the squad you are needed here right now big brother."

Mother said "Lets go inside and talk a bit. I would like to confirm what your sister has said about you." We walked in and sat and talked. The former nurse that stole him had just died two weeks ago. She had told him the truth on her deathbed. It was a long week getting her cremated and her ashes put in some stones at their old house.

He said "I came here because I heard that you Princess was here. I just knew you would understand."

I smiled "Yes I do understand. We are linked you and I. I share such an link with our sister Angel. The link with you is stronger at the moment for some reason. I think the link is needed for us to truly understand each other. We will see in time."

Mother said "I think that We should wait for any more till your Grandmother and sister are here to hear what is said. When do you think they can be here?"

I said "I'll call Angel in a few moments. As for Grandmother class gets out at 2:30 pm but she needed to take care of that potion problem before coming back here. Dinner time at least." I got up and walked a little ways away and taped the link compact.

Angel answered after a moment "What's up sis? I am glad you called this paperwork is driving me crazy."

I smiled "Could you step on over to my house for a bit? There is someone I want you to meet. Have dinner over here."

She said "You found him didn't you? You little minks you were ordered to be sleeping. I will be there as soon as I can." She broke the link. I smiled and returned to the others. They were just looking at each other.

I said "Angel will be here soon." The Compact knocked. I answered "Yes" Grandmothers face was in the mirror.

Grandmother said "You should be sleeping. Never mind, Those kids of yours are sharp. No princess today. I am on my way to Janis's to take charge of the kids care. How is it going there?"

I smiled "I found him. He will be here when you get here. I called Angel and she is on the way over. We will keep him busy till you get here."

She said "You don't waste time do you girl! I'll see to this then be over. Dang it things are piling up. Talk to you then." She broke the link. I just could not stop smiling.

Sam looked at me "I knew you were important here I just did not realize you held so much power here."

Mother said "She is the second most powerful person in Sanctuary. That is on the surface. The reality it is a balance between her and her sister. Angel may take care of the day to day operations of running Sanctuary but it is Ember who she turns to when problems pop up. More likely Ember is the one to find and take care any problems before Angel needs to know about them. I am so proud of both of them. I just wish you three could have grown up together." There was tears in her eyes. I handed her a tissue. The three of us chatted for awhile. The door flew open and Angel came in smiling.

Angel said "I'm here where is he? Where's my big brother?" Well she got here fast. I got up and led her over till she was standing before Sam.

I said "Angel this is Samuel, Sam this is Angel." Sam went down on one knee but like me Angel took his hands and pulled him up. This was not a day for formality. I was feeling the need for rest so I made my excuses and went up to bed for a nap.

When I woke it was two hours later by the clock. I cleaned up and headed down to see what was going on. Ben was home and he came up and gave me a hug. He asked "You ok?" I smiled and nodded. We went out on the porch to get away from the chattering going on inside. Just as we got settled in Grandmother showed up with Alexis in tow.

Grandmother looked at me "Your color is better. How much sleep did you get?"

I smiled "Good evening Grandmother. Yes I feel much better. I slept till noon and I just got up from a two hour nap. Hello Alexis how are you?"

Alexis said "Hi, I am handling the change better now."

Grandmother settled in an chair and waved Alexis into another. She said "We decided that Alexis will take the summer to get used to her new form. She will go back to school in the fall as she is. To try to change her back would likely cause more harm than good. Her wings will be growing nicely in a few days. I would ask you to look after her till the fall."

I said "There is room, so fine I will." I went over and held my hand over her to check her magic level. It was quite high, mage level in fact. I sighed "Well another mage in the house. We will have to get you up to speed before the fall quarter begins. What happened to the kitten girls?"

Grandmother looked sad "I was only able to give them the ability to speak. They will grow into fine young cat girls in time. The cat nature is strong in them but they will learn. Janis said she would find homes for then. It was the best that could be done. They done this to themselves with their greed. They each thought they would get powerful if they took the potion. They were wrong."

I said "Short cuts rarely work. If your interested he is inside talking with the other members of the family. His name is Samuel. Alexis why don't you stay here with Ben while I go make Introductions. Then I will be back out and we will talk." I got up and Grandmother followed me inside. One Introduction and I was back outside. "That did not take long. So Alexis what kind of magic are you interested in? Fire, Water, Earth and Air are the ones most pick from to start. I would suggest Air would be good due to your wings. What do you think?"

Alexis thought about it for a bit then said "I will go with Air but I would like to learn Earth as well to ground me. Is it hard to learn two?"

I smiled "Normally it is not that hard but you picked opposites so it will be a little harder. You will in time learn them all. It took me almost a year to learn them all."

Ben put in "Don't make it hard on the kid, your a special case." I smiled and kissed him. Then turned back to Alexis.

I said "It is not that hard to learn if you follow the natural progression. Air moves like water, Water has a surface like earth. The only one that does not fit is fire. What you need to know about fire is it consumes everything. Once you learn the rules of the different elements you will see how they connect. One flows into another till you are back at the start." While I was talking I did some small magic of each element. It was almost done without thought. "If you understand the element then the magic will come easier. Feel the air moving around you. How your breath or movement changes but never destroys the patterns. Air is the most changeable of elements. Water is next drop a pebble in a pond and you cause ripples you have caused a change in the pattern. But I am lecturing."

Ben kissed me "My little teacher. I love you." He kissed me again.

Alexis was looking thoughtful "I think I get what you mean. Is there books I could study? This is really sounding like something I would like to study." I pushed up and went into my study. I grabbed three starter magic books and a starter spell book. I walked out and handed them to her. She smiled at me.

I said "The blank one is to copy your spells into. The books are starter books on Air, Water and Earth. I wont give you one on fire till you learn those. Fire gets out of hand too easy." I showed her my burn scare on my arm.

A voice I had not heard for a few years said "But when you know the heart of the flame it becomes a lovely dance partner. Hello Ember teaching now? I am not surprised."

I stood up and ran to my old friend "Jessel, It has been too long. Are you going to dance here? I would love to see you do that again."

Jessel laughed "You are as lively as ever. I heard of a dance troop that is real good here. So I came to check them out."

I smiled "You are talking of Tara and her troop. She is good, almost as good as you. She is into Earth magic. You remember that red gypsy dance dress you used to wear? I gave her one like it and it really sets off her performance. She performs nearly every weekend if you can stay that long. If not I could ask her to put on a show for you? I would offer to let you stay here but we are full at the moment. Family reunion." Darla who was standing next to her eyebrow went up. I looked at her "Tell you later." I tuned back "Jessel I would like you to meet my husband Ben." Ben came down and bowed to her and kissed her hand. I slapped his arm and said "No hitting on other girls Ben!" I was smiling so he knew I was teasing him. "And this is Alexis I am looking after her for the summer." Up went Darla's other eyebrow.

Alexis shyly came down and said "Nice to meet you"

Jessel said "Nice to meet both of you. I am staying at Darla's house at the moment so we will have time to catch up. I will be here for a few weeks. I am thinking of moving here if I can find a place. Husband huh next thing you will be telling me is you have kids." Of course that is when Cryss decides to come home from Tara's.

Cryss smiled "Mommy Look at the new dance dress Tara had made for me. Isn't it pretty?" She did a twirl.

I laughed "Yes baby it is great. Did you thank her?" This time it was Jessel who raised her eyebrow. I looked at Jessel "Long story, tell you later. I would like you to meet my daughter Cryss and the person you came to meet Tara the leader of the dance troop you have been hearing about. Tara this is an old friend of mine Jessel."

Tara eyes went wide "Not The Jessel The Fire Dancer? It is a great honor to meet you. I have heard of you from so many of my dance partners. Are you going to put on an show for the school?"

I smiled "Now there is an Idea! I'll talk to the Headmaster."

Jessel said "I did not bring my things but I am always up for a dance. Ember you still remember the steps and spells?"

I said "I can run the fire spells for you but I am out of practice at the dance. I bet Tara could learn it fast. I watched her dancing with three guys at the same time and making it look good."

Tara said "That was the day you gave me this dress." She tapped her bracelet and she was wearing the Crystal Weave Red Gypsy Dress. She did a twirl. "I have been trying to think of a way to pay you back so when the chance came up. A dress for a dress. It is not perfect but it is what it is."

I smiled "It is fine you teaching Cryss to dance is enough for me. Her dress is just the cherry on top."

Jessel was looking at Tara's dress "What is this made of I have never seen the like?"

I blushed "It is called Crystal Weave I invented it as far as I can tell. It can imitate any material if the caster is good enough with the weave. This house is made out of the same weave." Jessel went over and looked at the rail. then looked back at the dress.

Jessel Said "You are better than when we used to dance together. What is your rank now?

I smiled "I am the Grand Mage of Sanctuary."

Darla said "Tell her the rest."

I took a deep breath "I am Her Highness Ember Rose Del La Silver Skyflower-Starstone, Princess of the Great hall of Crystalis, Princess of Sanctuary, Grand Mage of Sanctuary, Daughter of Queen Aslina of the Great Hall of Crystalis, Sister of Queen Angel of Sanctuary, Sister of Prince Samuel of Sanctuary, Wife of Count Ben Of Starstone, Re-founder of Sanctuary, Leader of the Six of Sanctuary, Creator of the Crystal Dragons. I can't remember any other titles right now. Those should be enough."

Jessel looked at me with something close to awe. She said "A double Princess as well as Grand Mage! Wow, how things have changed! It was just a few years ago you were chasing after me trying to get me to teach you fire magic."

I smiled "You finally gave in but said I had to learn the fire dance in order for you to teach me. So I learned. It was not in my blood though. That is crystal magic."

She smiled "So it seems." She curtsied quite deep to me as did Tara and Cryss. I smiled and bowed my head as is proper.


To be Continued

As always Life giving comments Welcome and loved!

up
198 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

too many twists!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Too many twists! I love it! as the song did say; I feel like bustin' loose, bustin' loose! great chapter Gypsy! so much excitement, I LOVE IT!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

So many..

.. twists to this plot and all the sub-plots, I'm getting dizzy. I love it.

Joanna

So Where Did They Get the Potions?

It sounds as though the cat-kids still know how everything happened, so they should be able to answer that question. As Ember said, if nothing else they need to prevent it from happening again -- especially if even the senior mages can't come up with an antidote.

Secondly, when they egged Alex into taking the blue potion, how much did they know about it? Were they aware it would turn him female, and when they told him it would wear off in a few hours, had someone lied to them about that or were they improvising?

Princess Tamara-Loki may fit into this somewhere -- we don't know of any connection, but it sounds like something that a sociopathic trickster would do, and she does carry the name -- but as a relative beginner in magic she wouldn't have had the ability to create the potions. (I'm not sure that we've been introduced to anyone on Sanctuary capable of doing that.) So if Tamara's to blame, we probably still don't know where the potions came from or whether any of them are lying around unattended after her deportation.

Eric

Excellent!

I didn't really notice any twists, just the usual story jam packed with awesome!

nomad

Looks like she is creating

Looks like she is creating her own team of fliers by gaining Alexis. Very happy she has found her brother and the family is now all reconnected. Rather interesting these potions "just happened to laying around" for the boys to find. Wonder who actually put there into availability and why?
She keeps getting any more titles and it will take a week just to announce her at formal settings :) :)
Janice