Beyond the Tales Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version
jzgtj9.jpg
(If you have not, please read When tales come true before you read this one.)

 
 

Beyond the Tales

Book 2

Chapter 1

Return to Sanctuary

Ember was sitting with her head on Ben's shoulder looking at the new class arriving from Crystalis. This was the first summer quarter since the school ended up here in Sanctuary. These were kids looking to learn from a real Grand Mage. Well what they would get is her. She had agreed to teach two classes each day for the summer. Weekends off of course. But of course she was a real Grand Mage and a Princess of Sanctuary and Crystalis. Her titles were long and sounded great but what it came down to was she was the head mage here and liked it that way. Things settled down after the first quarter was over here. But it was a pain there at the beginning. They got through it and now summer was here again. Remarkable to think this was only her second summer here. The second summer since Sanctuary was reopened. It has been a lot of work but it has been worth it so far.

Cryss came out of the house soon she would be nine years old but then she was a very smart girl. I still can't believe she started life as a crystal dragon. she has so taken to living the life of a human. being a dragon her magic was there from the start. People in the know call her a mageling. So far none of her sister dragons followed her into being human. yes they tried it but no one else stayed. Seeing that the next batch of crystal Dragons were waiting to hatch that may change. yes all of the first six of the brood laid a egg. Only Cryss has not. We don't know how much of her dragon ancestry made it through to this new body we are not even sure she could get pregnant.

I looked at the list in my hand. I had six students signed up for my advanced class. I am sure they will not expect their teacher be their age. Let alone their married teacher. This will be fun. Darla will be taking the beginners, I get the advanced. I wonder how we Darla and I ended up in opposite roles than when we started. Seeing she is the one who taught me. Now I am her Boss. Just goes to show you never know. Oh well I better check on my teaching plan for tomorrow. First day of class have to be ready.

I smiled and gave Ben a peck on the cheek. I got up and went inside. I looked at the list again.

Charlotte Ann Rykers (14) uses Earth And Water magic.
Lynette Dragonhorn (15) uses Air and fire magic
Kia Flyn (15) uses Water, Air and Illusion
Teladona Bellringer (14) uses Metal (s) and Wood (s)
Ronda Rose (15) uses Earth and Crystal (s)
Milla VasDagger (15) uses Earth, Air, Water And Fire

Looks like a good group, some Specialist and one a Crystal, a girl after my own heart. Well we will see what they can do. There will be a lot of cross casting that is for sure. Now where did I put my uniform? Oh yes I got Sasha to look it over last night. I can't look bad on the first day. I went to the kitchen where Sasha was putting the finishing touches on dinner. "Sasha, did you get a chance to look over my uniform yet?"

Sasha looked up "Yes Miss, it is right over there. I found two loose buttons and fixed them. Otherwise it is in fine order. I surly do not know why you want to where such a thing now that you are a teacher."

I smiled "It is simple I will float in to class with the others and listen to how they are when the teachers are not around. that way I find out how they really are after all. Gives me a peek into their personalities. See what I have to work with."

She said "Sounds like something your sister would think up. If I may be so bold."

"It does doesn't it" I laughed. I took the uniform and went back to my room. I was ready to fool them all.

At 9 am I slipped into the halls headed for the class room. class started at 9:30 today summer starting later. I was dressed in my uniform and carrying my bag. I found the class room and walked in. All the girls were there. I played it dumb and just sat and listened. At 9:30 on the dot I got up and went to the board and wrote Ember Rose Del La Silver Skyflower-Starstone. I don't know why I used my full name without titles. Then I turned and smiled and taped my outfit bracelet. I was now in the standard outfit for teachers here. I smiled again as everyone got what I did. I leaned on my desk and said "Welcome to the Advanced Magic class. I am your Teacher. Yes I am really that young. I was the one to re-found Sanctuary a little over a year ago. I am sister to the Queen here. and daughter to the Queen of Crystalis. More important to you six I am the Grand Mage here. As you I started out in Crystalis working my way through the pits learning as I went. I was 12 when I achieved the rank of Crystal Mage. Last year I passed my old teacher in rank and she now works for me. I now have many titles and of all of them I am still most proud of the first rank I got on my own. Though you will find that as you rise you must diversify your magic so that you can handle everything. I have working for me Enchanters, Generalist, Shapers, Elementalist and more. But at any one time I may need to put together a spell that uses all of these and more. So in this class you will be learning to adapt your skills to do what is needed. More you will learn to find what you don't know and learn it. I know it sounds ambitious, you are right it is. But that is how you crawl up the ladder of success. Well lets get started shall we.

For the next two hours I Told tales of early Sanctuary and how magic was used to shape the place. I also asked What they intended to do with their magic. The answer to that was the same, Get a good position and live the dream. I smiled at that. Having such a job means growing up fast and hard. Well they will find out. Finally the time was up and I said "See you all for the Practical after lunch. Be ready to show me what you got. class dismissed. Mornings was for theory and afternoon was for practical. I was not sure if I liked mornings or afternoons. Both had their problems. I decided to take them on a trip this after noon to the Hall of Magic. I will use it as an example and a place for them to study. But first lunch.

I met up with Zoe who was evaluating those who want to be combat mages. We chatted on the way to the dinning hall. She seem to think the 10 she was looking over would work out fine. I knew she could use the backup.

As we were sitting having lunch Kia came up with a question. She asked "Why could I not feel that uniform was a illusion?"

I smiled "Because it is a real uniform. I wore it here every week last quarter, Long story. I store it in this bracelet along with 7 other outfits. You will see 5 others like it. We of the Six wear them. It is just the thing for the girl on the go. I made and Enchanted them.

Charlotte asked "Will you be teaching us to do things like that? I for one would like to learn something practical like that."

I said "I might make it a side project later on, after I see your skills. Most of what you will be learning in the afternoons will be practical."

Lynette Asked "You said the Six, Who are they?"

I laughed "I forgot you are new. The Six refers to the six that re-founded Sanctuary. It means Me, My sister and four of our friends. I was the one to create the ring that brought us here so it is said that I re-founded Sanctuary." I held my hand up to show the Crest Ring. "This very ring in fact. That was a little over a year ago." Angel came gliding up to the table. "Well hello Your Majesty, How is it going?"

She said "What have I told you about when we are here?"

I smiled "Ok Hiya Sis. This is my class for the summer. This is Charlotte, Lynette, Kia, Teladona, Ronda and Milla. Girls, This is my sister Queen Angel of Sanctuary." The girls looked at each others and stood and curtsied. I just smiled. She motioned to the girls to sit. When they did she smiled. I said "Look out Sis the Headmaster is coming this way and you know how he is. He will want you to speak to the classes."

She smiled that Dragon smile "That is why I am here little Sister. You are going to join me. That was not a request! Oh and it is formal attire Princess." I shook my head.

I asked "How formal you want me to go? Full Grand Mage or Crystal Dress?" She looked at me and held up two fingers. Full crystal dress and crown it is. I stood up. "I'll be back soon girls. I taped the bracelet and I was in my full formal gown and crown. Sis did the same an we moved through the place with every ones attention. The speech was one of her normal ones so I tuned it out unless there was any changes. We had done this before so we had it down. She through it to me and I did my part and through it back. This was one of the drawbacks of being a princess. How ever it did not come up too often. So I was ok with it. The speech ended and so did lunch. So much for eating. I went back to the table and let them get a good look at the Dress then switched back.

We walked out and I said "I am going to teach you a way of traveling that you will be using a lot in the upcoming days." I let my wings out. I handed each a ring. "Tap the rings gem and See what happens." They did and their skirts turned to pants. "There are boys here so flying in a skirt would not be good. " Then I explained the wing spell. Going from girl to girl making sure each had it. "This is your first lesson in practical magic. Keep it simple. Over thinking is the easiest way to mess up a spell. Some of the most powerful spells are the simple ones used the right way. Now one at a time cast your wing spell." They did and we were ready to go. I talked them through getting airborne then showed them. We were all soon in the air. I was glad none of them were afraid of heights.

We flew to the Hall of magic. Circling it first before landing. Ronda said "Is that all crystal? I have never seen it used that way before!"

I smiled "Thank you it took me quite the magic and time to make it. Yes it is all Crystal reinforced with enchantments. It is called crystal weave, you will find all the major buildings are made out of it here. This is the Hall of Magic. Basically a practice area for Mages. It was the second Hall I made. The first was the Crystal Hall that is the palace of Sanctuary. The third was the Mage Hall over there. Then there is my house near the school. All are made of Crystal weave." This of course floored them.

We entered the Hall and ran into Tina and Cryss. Tina was Flying around making fog rings then flying trough them before they dissipated. Cryss was laughing and making a cloak out of crystal weave. I smiled "Ladies I would like you to meet two of my friends. This is Lady Tina of the Six of Sanctuary and Princess Cryss Of Sanctuary and Crystalis.
Tina is a good friend who was here at the start and Cryss is my Daughter. Long story."

Tina said "All your stories are long ones your highness. But then so is your titles."

I shook my head "Don't get them started on that we don't have the time it is only a two hour class." I laughed "Well Cryss here like me is a Crystal mage. As you can see she is learning the ways to use crystal weave. When weaved fine enough it can imitate any fabric. So you see when used correctly Crystal weave can make just about any workable medium. From walls to silks it can make it. But it takes a lot of pure crystal to do the least little thing. So one of the things Sanctuary is know for is crystal mining. There is a whole mage specialty that is miner. It is hard but steady work if you got the skills. Many Earth mages are doing this."

Tina said "A paired team can stake a claim in the far caverns and work it for a week and comeback and sell their load for quite the tidy sum. I know several who do that."

Kia asked "You said a paired team? What did you mean?"

Tina looked at me and nodded. oh well she did it to me again. I said "A paired team is a mage and a male. The guy dose the heavy lifting and such while the mage does the magic work. It is a good way to go if you can find the right person. Both work hard just in different ways. Pairing is used in other areas as well. A pairing that works well is a Combat mage and a knight. A troop of paired teams is quite stronger than separate troops."

Tina through in "There is a most famous Pairing of a certain Grand Mage and a certain Captain of the Royal Guard!" I frowned at her then zapped her bottom with a little bit of lightning. She jumped nicely. "I give, I'll be good!" She flew up in the corner of the room. Cryss smiled and showed off her new cloak. Everyone clapped. She looked so proud. We headed to the next room. It was empty so I led them in for a practical test.

I tested Charlotte on Earth and Water magic. Then Lynette on Air and Fire. Then Kia on Water, Air and Illusion. Teladona on Wood and Metal. Ronda on Earth and Crystal. Milla took the longest doing Earth, Water, Air And Fire. All turned out to be well versed in their areas. This was good but made my job a little harder. I looked at the time and it was up for the day. So I sent them back to the school for their next class. I was putting up the testing stuff when Tina came in. She said "Well how did they do?"

I smiled "Fine for mid level students. I think they will do fine if I can teach them Harmony spells. Then expand their knowledge base. It will be hard but I think I can do it. This is all so new to me."

She smiled "If there is anyone that can get to those kids it is you."

I looked at her "Your looking after Cryss today right?" She nodded "Well where is she?"

She frowned "Dang it She did it again." Tina went looking for Cryss.

I chuckled "You can come out now Cryss." Cryss opened her cloak. Her grin was a mile wide.

She looked at me "How did you see me? I thought the Illusion was pretty good."

I smiled at my Daughter "It is very good just you forgot to mask the sounds you make. It took me a moment to figure it out. You are getting better at enchanting items. Now Young Lady you should go find Tina before she tears her hair out looking for you." I held out my hand.

She laughed and handed me the cloak kissed me on the cheek them went looking for Tina. I sighed a cloak of blending just what every kid needs. That kid of mine is too smart by half. I finished what I was doing then headed to the Mage Hall to get some work done. This was going to be a long summer.

The Mage Hall was running like a well oiled rock. I spent the rest of the day running here and there getting things in order. I should have said I needed to work at the Hall when the Headmaster asked me to teach a class. I am too soft some times. When I finally flew home it was late. Sasha had my dinner ready Ben had already eaten and was working out in our work out room. Cryss was already in bed. I sighed this is my life. I cleaned up then ate. Ben's workout was done while I was eating. After he cleaned up we spent some time relaxing on the porch swing. I must have fallen asleep because next thing I knew it was the middle of the night and I was in bed. Some first day.

In the morning I was still a little tired but I had work to do. After a good breakfast with Ben and Cryss I hugged them both then off I went. I did not bother with the uniform today that was just a first day thing. When I entered the room I could see the pecking order had already been figured out. I called them to there seats. I started a little different today. I asked "Do any of you know what a Harmony spell is?" At the blank looks I sighed. A Harmony spell is a spell that uses 2 or more of the basic magic's to make a more powerful spell. These spells are the key to the higher levels. You can only go so far with single magic spells. Like this one Combine water and wind spells and you get the Harmony spell Storm! Use the same two a different way and you can move a sailboat at very fast speed. You all are going to be by the end of the summer be able to think up and cast your own Harmony spells. any questions?" Charlotte raised her hand. I nodded for her to go ahead.

She asked "You said two or more how many is the limit?"

I smiled "With magic there are only two limits 1, How much energy you have. 2, How clever you are. The second is the most important for your question. My most powerful spells combine 4 elements into 1 for the spell. I use a Harmony spell that combines Fire, Water, Wind and Earth as the force behind the spell. I will not tell you the actual spell but I will show you the result." A knock came at the door. "Here they are now." I let Tara in with her dragon. "Ladies this is my friend and member of the Six Tara and her Dragon Tie. Tie is a Crystal Dragon originally created by me. I used a 4 element Harmony spell to give life to a crystal statue and that is how the Crystal Dragons were born. There currently 6 Crystal Dragons running around." Tie was showing off for the group. "So you see with Harmony spells great things are possible." While the girls were looking over Tie I turned to Tara "Thanks for coming. This fits in with my lesson for today perfectly."

She smiled "No problem your highness. Tie loves to show off."

I smiled back "I wonder where she gets that from? Is your group performing at the Dance this weekend?" She nodded.

I sighed "Back to the lesson. Girls take your seats. Thank You Tara and Tie for you time." They both curtsied with big smiles. Then they left. "As you could imagine it took me quite awhile to come up with that spell. Even then If I did not have a natural connection to crystal it would not have worked."

Kia asked "You said currently 6 Dragons. Does that there used to be more"

I looked out the window for a moment. "Yes there was one more, the first Dragon. She was much different than the others. She was smarter and had a great deal of magical ability. Thanks to a couple of potions made by the Archmage she is still around but in human form. You met her yesterday. She is my Daughter Cryss."

Ronda asked "How can that be Dragon and Human are so Different."

I smiled "It is simple part of the cost of the spell was that for every dragon I had to loose an egg. So most of them have the body of Dragons they have the spirit of my children. Grandmother just brought that part to the surface. Cryss is still part dragon just her form is human. It was her choice. She is young now. When she comes into her full power she will be a more powerful mage than I am."

Kia asked "You said Grandmother who is that?"

I chuckled "You caught that. I am the Granddaughter of the Archmage. She stops by to say hello and play with her Great Granddaughter from time to time. Well I don't know if I will have any babies but right now I have 7 children. Though only one is human formed. The magic always has a price and the stronger the spell the more dear the price. You might not even know the price so be careful with strong magic. Lets change tracks and go over what your test yesterday reveled." For the rest of class we did just that. We had a good time doing it too.

Finally it came time for lunch. I decided to eat with the teachers this time. It was fine if quiet time. After lunch we went out and I checked them as they grew their wings. They taped their rings and we were off to the Hall of Magic. I decided to try teaching them shaping. I taught them the basics and they practiced for an hour while I watched and gave hints. With less than a hour left I set down a small amount of silver and three stones in front of each girl. I said "Here is your challenge. Take what I have given you and make a bracelet. You must be done before class is over. Don't forget the clasp to get it on and off. And start." I walked back and forth watching how good they did their work. With only a few moments left in class "Times up take these boxes and put your bracelet in the box and write your name on the box." It did not take them long to do this. Then I dismissed the class. I put the boxes in my bag then cleaned up. After that it was over to the Mage Hall for some work.

I managed to get out of the Hall at a reasonable time and headed home. So much for day two. I guess I can do this. I got home and we had a family dinner and things went well for once.

In the morning I was rested and ready for the day. Wednesday, Middle of my first week as a teacher. Hopefully I will make it. I walked into the class room and knew at once that something was wrong! I looked around and Sopped at a new girl sitting in the back. I walked up to her. "Who may I ask are you?"

She looked offended "I am Princess Tamara Loki DeLight of Samtargo. Who may I ask are you?" She sure was a snotty little brat.

I said "I am Ember Rose Del La Silver Skyflower-Starstone, Princess of Sanctuary and Crystallis, Grand Mage of Sanctuary and teacher of this class!" So I left out a half dozen titles. I just needed to shut down that attitude before it runes my day. She looked me up and down. I looked her up and down. There came a knock at the door "Enter" In walked Mother and Sis. I turn my back on the new girl and walked over. "Hello Mother, Sister what do you need?"

Mother answered "We are looking for a princess who is not where she should be. She should be in the beginners class but she is not. Have you seen one?"

I smiled "Just the one behind me. Could that be the one you are looking for?"

Sis leaned over and looked at the girl trying to hide. "Yes, I do believe that is the one. We will be taking her now if you don't mind."

I shook my head "No problems here. I have not started today's lesson." They moved to flank the kid an took her out the door. "Well now that the Drama is over we can get on with the Lesson." So we did. I talked about what we had learned so far and asked them to come up with one thing that stuck with then about the first two days. It was a fun and fast two hours.

Lunch was quiet and we headed to the Hall of Magic for afternoon class. When we were in the practice room I took out the boxes and handed them out. On top of each box was a grade for their first project. Everyone passed.

I said "For passing your project I will teach you how to enchant the stones in your bracelets to hold a outfit. There are three stones so three outfits." So I taught them the enchantment. It did not take long. Nobody had a problem so we moved on. We talked about different enchantments and what they took to cast. I asked the class to pick a project to do for the rest of the week. It would be due on Monday and I encouraged them to work on it outside of class. We debated different ones then we voted. The vote was close but staffs won.

Charlotte asked "I don't see you with a staff do you carry one?"

I smiled "Always with me." I brought out my crystal staff. They really liked it. We talked construction and materials for the rest of the class. It was a good day. The girls were happy with their bracelets and the upcoming project.

After class I cleaned up and headed for the Mage hall to get more work done. There was always work to be done there. I could not stop smiling about how well class is going.

To Be Continued...

As always, all life giving comments welcome!

up
259 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hi GypsyWoman,

Hi GypsyWoman,
I really like this chapter, it is not only entertaining, but very informative as well. Lots of knowledge about spells, types of magic, and personalities of the young women. I only hope that the new princess doesn't become a royal pain in the keister as she already seems to have a "holier than thou" attitude towards everyone, including Ember.

Tamara already seems to

Sammi's picture

Tamara already seems to be getting into trouble, I hope she isn't malicious with it, but I am left wondering if she is taking after her namesake in Norsk mythology the god said to have been the wily trickster.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

great start to the second

great start to the second book of this story.
there always seems to be someone that thinks they are more important than everyone else in every school hopefully she learns how wrong she is quickly for everyones sake as well as her own

Embers back!

Yay! I didn't realize how much I missed these stories. Angels story is good, but there is something about this one. I'm way more invested in the doings at Sanctuary. If Cryss is going to be so advanced, why make her a little kid? Nice touch with the eggs making the dragons actually her children, so Cryss really is her daughter.

nomad

I'd guess there are a lot

Sammi's picture

I'd guess there are a lot of reasons for Cryss being the age she is,
A teen having a child the same age weird even if magic is involved
All to often in these stories there is a limit to magical abilities with age, so while Cryss is far in advanced of older students she still has to grow before her full potential becomes apparent, allowing her to learn to control what she has already.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

very cool

Alecia Snowfall's picture

a good solid intro to a second installment! I enjoyed the first Tales and have been looking for to the second. Go with it Gypsy, Ember and the girls are doing well.*pats on the back then gooses you too*

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Ember's Back...

...and looking good. Looking forward to finding out where things go from here.

No surprise, I guess, that the intermediate mages are all girls, but I'd like to hope that some of the beginners are male. This isn't Crystalis, where male magic use is outlawed. That teaming of "a mage and a male" seemed to take a little too much for granted, though of course Tina and Ember were talking to girls at the time.

I wonder if Ember has mellowed any in the months since the last book. Given Princess Tamara Loki's title, dealing with her the way Ember dealt with the last few people to offend her would probably start a war.

Eric