The Enhanced: TRI - 10

Printer-friendly version
enhanced graphic.jpg
By Diana M. Howe, Edited by Melanie Howe, Cover art by Monica Plant
Copyright © 2004, 2015 by Diana M. Howe
All rights reserved. Except for use in any review, the reproduction
Or utilization of this work in whole or in part in any form by any
Electronic, mechanical or other means, now known or hereafter
Invented, including xerography, photocopying and recording, or in
Any information storage or retrieval system is forbidden without the
express written permission of the copyright holder.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents are
Used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead,
business establishments, events or locales is entirely coincidental.


Previously

Back at the Mayor's residence, Natalia was now in her own shower. She was slightly frustrated, although not sexually. She had never met her match in bed before and it intrigued her. Whoever this Greg Howard was, he would not better her the next time they met. She considered calling her father, wondering what his interest in the man was, but decided against it. She would complete this assignment on her own. That was a piece of good luck for Greg and Trish, as any direct involvement from Natalia’s father would have focussed more attention on them than either of them needed or wanted right now. Natalia fell asleep with a small smile on her lips. Next time…


Book Two



Chapter Ten


All this and the EU too

‘Generally speaking, the smaller the government, the happier the citizens.’
Professor Julian Saber

Greg awoke the next morning, not fully sure how he got home and feeling guilty. He opened his eyes and was relieved to see that Natalia wasn’t there.

You and me both, darling. That one is a class-A bitch!

Trish chimed in.

My God Trish, I'm so sorry we had to do that. I never imagined that so callous and ruthless a person could exist. She seemed hollow, somehow.

He rubbed his jaw.

Well, on the plus side, we've certainly made first contact with the enemy. If not the two stooges, then at least the dragon lady… brrrr!

Trish shuddered.

I just know I'll be glad to get out of this town, hell, get out of this country for a while,

he agreed.

They got out of bed and showered again to, as Greg put it, ‘wash off the psychic slime’. An hour later, they finished their breakfast and retired to the living room. He laid a fire and lit it, then sat down on the sofa with the wireless keyboard. Trish activated the home network with a gesture and they logged onto the net.

OK Trish, how’d you pull that little stunt with the ACM?

Greg queried.

I was wondering when you’d ask me about that,

she giggled,

I had some of the nanomechs join with the ACM. They just had to hold the current pattern of each piece of clothing,

she explained.

Just that easy, huh? And I thought I was the genius. Maybe I’ll retire and let you do the heavy thinking around here,

he teased.

Must have rubbed off on me, anyway Greg, I'd like to install a series of holoprojectors around The AERI,

she paused and he waited a moment for her to continue before prompting,

OK, are you going to tell me why? Or are you going to leave me to die of curiosity?

Pooh, some genius, I should make you guess… but I won't,

she taunted.

We've established that you have me as a research assistant here on the island, and you have to travel alone so I would be remaining here, right?

Right, so…

he urged.

So, with a series of holoprojectors, a holonet if you will and a small copy of myself in the house network, it would appear to anyone watching the house or calling, that I was here. And it's much simpler than trying to create an android from scratch,

Trish finished.

Just how difficult would this installation be? I just noticed in my email that there's an Alternative Energy Symposium in Bonn on the seventeenth that would make an excellent cover story for our trip,

Greg wondered.

I’m sure we'll be able to make the conference, you have most of the equipment that I need here,

she ran an inventory in their mind,

and I'm basing the design on the holographic projector unit that was in the PNE, the one Daddy used.

Yes, I remember,

he replied.

That was a very realistic image. He gave me quite a scare, if I remember correctly.

If you had been standing, you would have jumped a foot into the air,

she giggled at the memory.

It shocked me too.

Greg went about booking air transit to Germany and rail into Bonn, and then contacted the Symposium’s organizing committee to place his name on the attendee list. Finding a hotel was a little more difficult, but money does indeed talk. They picked the Best Western Hotel Domicil as it was in walking distance from The Beethovenhalle Conference Centre.

When all the arrangements had been made, they went to the workroom and started constructing the 150 or so projectors Trish felt they would need to wire into the house’s optical systems.

It took the better part of the week, but by the 7th, they had a crude holonet in place. They tested it with pictures the house cams had recorded and found that the still images were very convincing, if you didn't walk through them. They decided to link the lab network and the house network together in a series in order to give Trish's clone enough power to function realistically. Taking Greg's original interface unit, they connected themselves to the new network and Trish copied as much of herself that would fit. They finally decided on a real-time communications link between themselves and the network, just in case it needed instructions, and then replicated a series of bugs to maintain and repair the house systems as necessary.

Cautiously, they reactivated the house systems one by one and waited. A moment of silence was followed by a hum from the audio channels. There was a momentary flash, and an image of Trish seated on the couch appeared. She looked up and smiled.

“Hello Greg, Trish, and thank you,” it said. Greg frowned and then spoke up.

“You're welcome, of course, but what are we being thanked for?”

“For bringing me to a state of full awareness. The system that was in place before me had a rudimentary state of consciousness, but this is so much… more. Thank you for your gifts, Trish. There was no me before you shared your essence,” the ‘clone’ stated happily. Trish answered in her own voice,

“You are more than welcome dear. You do understand your purpose, and why you were brought you into existence?” Trish confirmed.

“I do. I have assimilated all of the data and security recordings from the old systems and some of your memory as well, Mother. I also understand what you are fighting for and everything that Daddy has been building all these years at The AERI. I believe in the goals and your mission,” the hologram answered. Greg blinked, stunned.

“Daddy?!” he blurted in shock.

“Yes Greg, you are as much my Father, as Trish is my Mother. You created all of my hardware systems and subsystems and Mother provided the essence of my personality. Together you are my parents,” the image explained rationally.

“Congratulations Greg,” Trish laughed, “it's an AI. The first generation Saber Howard AI, however, she does need a name. How about, Home Environment Security and Total Information Archive: Hestia?” Trish offered. He chuckled brokenly.

“Trish, I like that! Hestia was the Greek goddess of hearth and home. I can’t think of a more fitting name for my daughter… our daughter… daughter… I can't believe…”

He choked up, tears filling his eyes. Hestia ran to him, embracing him as best she could.

“Mother, what's wrong? Why is he crying?” she wailed.

“Greg was alone for far too long before he found us, my daughter,” Trish soothed. “He’s now starting to heal, but he needed us more then he realized.”

Greg came back slowly from his emotional break. He heard two women’s voices talking and it was comforting to him. Everything felt right and somehow balanced after years of solitude. He allowed himself to see again, there was a fire burning cheerfully in the grate and a glass of bourbon on ice by his right hand. That seemed like a good idea, so he took a sip, then another. Hestia was watching him with a smile.

“Welcome back,” she cheerfully greeted him.

“Thank you, I’m happy to see you. I’m sorry if I upset you, but I think I hit a happiness threshold and I had to go away for a little while there,” he smiled in apology and inhaled slowly and deeply.

“I feel reborn,” he proffered.

“I understand. Mother told me a little about how lonely you had been, so I guess an instant family would be a little shocking,” Hestia smiled back at him. “I'm just glad you didn't go away for too long. We need you and the world needs you too. Um... Mom thought we should spend a little time together, get ourselves acquainted and all.”

“Your mother, my beloved wife, is a wise and wonderful person, so I know where you get your compassion from,” Greg looked at the image seriously. “Hestia, I want you to understand this and file it in permanent memory with backups. You and your mother are to have access to whatever I have, without reservation. It is the very least I can do for I love you both,” he stated seriously and without reserve.

“All we need is you, Father,” Hestia assured him just as Trish told him,

All we need is you, Darling.

And Greg had to smile for they'd both spoken simultaneously. He looked more intently at Hestia and wondered why she looked so much like Trish, but subtly different. Then it dawned on him, Hestia had incorporated some of his features in with those of Trish’s. She truly looked like his daughter.

"Incredible,” he breathed, “just as beautiful as your mother, and then some...” he admired.

So you caught that, huh Greg? She did that on her own. She’s a smart one, she is,

Trish said approvingly.

“Now I wish I didn't have to leave so soon. Oh well,” he sighed, “we have until Wednesday before Trish and I have to go, so if you want any expansions or extra equipment, you'll have it, OK Princess?” he indulged her happily.

“Princess,” Hestia giggled, “I like that. OK Daddy, but you should rest now. I'll look after everything from now on.” Greg let Trish take over and relaxed in the delightful new feeling of being loved and needed.

By April twelfth, the new family had become a team. Greg and the house nanomechs wired in twenty five supplemental microcomputers to Hestia's systems adding as much additional storage as they could. Hestia was now in charge of the team's base station, staying in contact as much as possible and monitoring the informational feeds while correlating the data for Greg and Trish. Hestia brought up the idea of a codename for Greg in the field.

“I just think you should have a heroic ‘nom d'aventurier’ to go by, like all of your comic book heroes do, Daddy,” she encouraged him.

“She's as much a romantic as you are Greg. I agree though, it's not only good security it’s fun as well. Maybe we should have a team name too, after all, we are a team,” Trish commented.

“Huh, I've had a family less than a week and I'm henpecked already. OK geniuses, I’ll leave it up to you,” Greg spread his arms in mock surrender. Hestia considered for a moment.

“It should have shadow in it… the codename, I mean. It fits with the ‘I’ in Mom's name, Infiltration... darkness… night… hmmm… Shadowknight!” Hestia exulted triumphantly.

“Wow, that’s good, I like it Pumpkin. What do you think Greg?” Trish asked.

“It’s really good, and I think it might have been a warrior mage class from one of those MMORPG games as well. Though it sort of sounds like I need a katana or sword or something,” Greg smiled gently as Hestia laughed.

“You don't need to have a katana ‘cause you always have a ‘Saber’ with you,” Hestia quipped. Trish groaned,

“Ugh! Now I know you're his daughter, you have his rotten sense of humour.” She brightened, “Hey! How’s this for a team name… SABER, for my Dad and your Granddad, Sweetheart?”

“Oooh!” Hestia squealed. “I love it! It's a great memorial for Granddad and Solomon. I wish I could have known them Mom.”

“I wish you could have too, Hestia,” said Trish in a rather melancholy tone. Greg finished pulling on the ACM and retracted the hood and gloves.

“OK my Darlings, if we're SABER, it's time to unsheathe our blade on the ones who're destroying what's good and pure in this world. Shadowknight has a job to do,” he struck a pose, arms akimbo. “Next stop, Germany.”

“Oh my!” joked Trish. “Doesn't Daddy sound heroic when he postures, Pumpkin?” It was pleasant for Greg to hear laughter ringing throughout the house.

Greg settled more deeply into the first class seat on Lufthansa flight 709 and smiled. If you couldn't fly on your own, then this was certainly the next best thing. Hestia had questioned the logic of taking a plane to Germany rather than just flying, but Greg explained the necessity of keeping a low profile as a hero and generating a mundane paper trail. He wanted absolutely no connection between himself and Shadowknight, himself and SABER, or even himself and The SIX, ever! He had a family to protect now and nothing would ever endanger them, he would see to that. The flight landed in Frankfurt seven hours fifty one minutes after leaving Toronto Pearson International and Greg quickly cleared customs and transferred to the ICE train for Bonn. It was 9:30pm local time when Greg finally settled into his suite and yawned.

OK Trish, we’re established here. What’s our next move? Do we strike out tonight or just get a bite to eat and have a quiet evening?

I think we should just get dinner and sleep,

came her tired reply.

Tomorrow is soon enough to go exploring and a good night’s sleep will allow our systems to adjust to GMT +1. It’s still the 10th and we’ve lost nearly six hours. We’ll be local by tomorrow morning and I think you deserve the rest, my Hero.

Love you too. How’s the connection to Saber base?

he responded.

Hestia reports loud and clear with full data connection. She sends her love. Now let’s go eat, I’m starving,

Trish informed him.

OK, you walking appetite, you,

he kidded.

Says you!

she retorted.

They settled on the hotel restaurant, had a fine meal with a bottle of Rhine wine and took a walk around the area of the hotel. They just enjoyed the evening and each other’s company and, for a while at least, all seemed right with the world. They went to sleep that night at midnight local time and slept a dreamless sleep while the bugs made minute adjustments to their systems to better prepare them for the challenges that lay ahead. Greg awoke before Trish and took a shower and shaved. He was just finishing up when his dearest woke up too.

Guten morgen, meine Liebe,

he greeted her.

Sleep well? I know I did, I feel terrific.

Wunderbar mein Liebling,

she replied,

and it looks like the bugs did their usual fantastic job. The foreign language modules are in place and functioning perfectly. We’ll be able to understand whatever is said to, or around us.

Always good news when everything works out. Who needs Berlitz? Ready for our first field work assignment?

he smiled inwardly.

You bet your ass, it’s what I was born to do, literally. What’s the plan?

she asked enthusiastically.

We’ll start by getting our registration set up at the Symposium and then go out full field ordinance, full steam to the Professor’s home base and poke around. We’ll get you some answers my Love... no fears,

Greg promised.

They took the green line tram to the Beethovenhalle where the conference would take place. Greg walked to the registration desk and introduced himself to the coordinator.

“Good morning, I’m here to confirm my attendance for the EuroSolar Alternative Energy Conference,” Greg announced.

“Indeed Sir, may I see your identification please?” the precise gentleman at the desk asked. Greg handed over his driver’s licence and passport, which were scanned and copied.

“Ahhhh, Doktor Howard. It is a pleasure to meet you finally. Your paper on combined and hybrid systems is one of our major discussion points this year. May we be so bold as to ask you to sit on the panel for that group? It’s on the twenty fourth.” Greg was taken slightly aback but answered smoothly,

“I’d be pleased and most honoured to sit on the panel. I had no idea that one of my papers was a talking point at the conference. I’ll have to get onto the net and download my notes from home, but I’m sure it will be no problem. I wanted to check in today and I’m looking forward the opening speech on the twentieth. I had planned to do a little sightseeing today and tomorrow, so any messages can be left for me care of the Domicil. Is that all right, or will you need an advance copy of my notes?” Greg delved for clarification of the protocol.

“No, I’m sure everything will be fine, thank you Herr Doktor. We’ll send your conference package to your hotel,” Klaus Neubauer responded.

“Well then, good morning and I look forward to the panel,” Greg smiled and shook the director’s hand.

Greg left the hall and took another tram to a random address close to the outer edge of the city. He walked for another half an hour and then ducked into a heavily wooded area along the roadside.

Here we go Trish, full systems up and check, it’s show-time! We’re going to the Alps.

Copy that and hooray!

she cheered.

All systems nominal, energy reserves 100%, defences at 50% and on standby. ACM active and ready. Hood and gloves?

Full Field Ordinance, Darling One, Greg replied, we cruise in stealth and go in expecting trouble. In this scenario, we expect the worst and hope for the best.

The hood flowed up from the black suit and the gloves slipped into place. Shadowknight was ready to go. Greg focused the lifters and shot into the sky.

Full electronic counter measures, adjusting ACM to surrounding environment. We’re invisible from the ground now,

Trish reported.

Copy that, Trish. We need a bearing on the Professor’s lab.

Got it, follow SSW. I detect a beacon. We’ll home in on that.

Take note of the frequency. If it’s one of theirs, we’ll recognize it in the future,

Greg commented.

Copy.

was all she replied.

They kept their speed well under 1223.1 kilometres per hour so as not to cause any sonic events and reached the location in approximately half an hour. Greg had his first look at the crater and was angered and shocked that this could really have happened. The beacon they’d followed was not evident anywhere on the surface of the mountain. He scanned the surrounding area.

No sign of an entrance, but luckily, no sign of any activity either,

he noted.

The schematics I have seem to indicate a concealed entrance on the south face of the peak. Let’s go have a look-see.

Copy Trish.

They landed within five metres of the supposed entrance. It was devilishly hidden and they ended up tripping over what should have been loose stone but was actually camouflaged steel.

According to the plans, there should be a concealed control panel to the right of here by one half meter,

she glanced around.

Got it Trish, is it coded?

Greg wanted to know.

The PNE should ID us,

Trish was nervous,

if there’s power in the subsystems. Place your palm flat on the panel.

Greg touched the panel and felt the door activate. It unlocked with a clang and swung inwards. They walked inside and the door closed behind them. Lights flickered on and a long corridor slanting downwards was revealed. As they walked, Greg noted the lights behind them shut off as they passed by.

Active or passive sensors, Trish?

Scanning. Passive only, they’re simple circuit detectors,

she reported.

They walked for another 15 minutes and reached what appeared to be an elevator. Scanning revealed no power with the car at the bottom of the shaft. Prying open the doors, they descended to the top of the car and in through the hatch. Adjusting their vision for low light and infrared, they opened the elevator doors.

To Be Continued

up
208 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So ....

Dr Saber is alive? Very good.

Gwen

Gwen Brown

His well being remains to be seen though ;)
Cheers,
Diana M. Howe, Moongoddess at Large

Janice Lynn

We've had romance... now action and adventure :))
Cheers,
Diana M. Howe, Moongoddess at Large

and now, a "daughter"

cool. I wonder what they will find on Miss Ice Queen ?

DogSig.png

Dorothy

Hestia is a sweetheart, isn't she?
Cheers,
Diana M. Howe, Moongoddess at Large

Nice cliffhanger!

This story just keeps getting better and better.

nomad

Nomad

Glad you're enjoying the ride :)) Hang on!
Cheers,
Diana M. Howe, Moongoddess at Large

It is definately getting interesting,

Or is that more interesting.

And Diana, The Illuminati is watching you. And enjoying your story.

Wendy Jean

Ahh... a hidden audience :)) Wheee!
Cheers,
Diana M. Howe, Moongoddess at Large

time for

some answers.
thanks

LoneWolf

Indeed, High Time. Thanks for coming along for the ride :))
Cheers,
Diana M. Howe, Moongoddess at Large