When tales come true Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version


When tales come true

Chapter 13

Meeting of Impotence

magefemale.jpg

The Six and Darla, The ones who started all this, sat in a meeting room in the Crystal Hall waiting. Angel our Queen Stood up and said "My friends we are here to discuss the future of Sanctuary. We started this project and are the driving force behind it. So we must know where it is going. Each of us here will in the coming days be put in charge of certain areas so we can maximize our efforts. I am sorry to say but our Lady Grand Mage has been doing more than any one person should have to do. So we will all step up to make Sanctuary Great!"

Darla raised her hand. At the queens nod she spoke "As I take it this meeting is to divide things up to make things easier to handle?" The Queen nodded again. Darla went on "I for one am willing, as I started to, teach magic now that we have others to teach as well. I will teach five of you as I can and get help from the other mages Lady Ember brought in when I can't be there. That is the best way I can help out. I will advise or go on missions outside this place as needed. Though teaching magic needs to be my first job!" The Queen nodded at this.

Tina raised her hand. at the Queens nod she said "I noticed that there are ten artisans in the last batch from Crystalis. I believe I could do something to make them useful. My parents are artist so I was exposed to that world until last year. I speak their language so it should go well." The Queen nodded again.

Tara lifted her hand. The Queen nodded so she spoke "If there is one thing I know it is entertainers and we have ten sitting around eating. So I think I could do something with them." The Queen nodded.

Angel said "That took care of the Imports save the ones in jail and the new mages. Lady Ember will you take care of the new mages?"

I spoke "It may be a little ruff on them. Their arrogance has to be tempered and they need to be tested. I will see to it as soon as the new mirror systems are up. The rethink on that has been my only thoughts of late."

Angel spoke "I understand my mage" she smiled "The defense of Sanctuary is in your hands as always. We will come back to that. I believe that leaves Jenny and Jessie to tell what they will do."

Jenny Spoke "I think the Queen needs a reliable assistant to do as needed. Also to learn the art of statecraft. I think I can do that real well."

Jessie spoke "I have always been good with trade and money so I would like to take care of that end of things for the crown. As we can."

Angel spoke "That takes care of this part of the meeting. Now the Mirror problem. The shutters failed so we need a new way to protect the mirrors and us. I would like to hear any ideas." The Queen looked around at us.

I spoke "I may have another way to safeguard the mirrors I just need more time to work it out."

Angel said "I would like to here what you have Lady Ember. Even a unfinished Idea may spark another. It is your traps that saved us the last few times."

I sighed "It would take a redesign of the floor of the mirror room. Well a small part of. What the idea is that if the shutters start to fail I would trip this trap. Then a piece of the floor would swing up and cover the mirror. So anything coming in would smash into hard metal covered rock. We would leave all the other traps in place just add this one." Everyone was just staring at me. "Too much? I have a idea for if they get through all the traps and get into the mirror room. A sonic screamer to knock them out." I added.

Darla was thinking "It might just work and it would keep us safer."

The Queen looked at me "Do it as soon as you can. Use anyone you need to. We need to go on another food run. That is the next part of the meeting. We need to find a way to grow our own food."

I sighed again "I have a ideas about that. I was looking through my Grandmothers spell books and found two spells that may be of use. One creates a light globe that does the night day thing. It would have to be refreshed every week but it would be good. Next is a soil spell to make the soil useable for farming. We pick a cavern by the lake and irrigate from there. Find some farmers and in a bit we have food. Pick another cavern and raise some chickens and maybe some cows fed by grass spell and we are good." Everyone was staring at me again. I just sat and went over what I said in my head. No problems.

Angel Smiled "It looks like our Grand Mage is more than a pretty face. She has done it again. I think that would work. Now all we need is farmers and mages to cast the spells. I feel good about this meeting. We are done here for now. We will have a meeting like this every other Friday from now on."

As the meeting broke up the Queen singled for me to wait after the others had left. I did and Angel smiled at me. She said "You are full of ideas today. The farm will be a good project for a lower mage. You have been looking tired lately. You need to delegate more."

I gave her a sideways smile "Darla gave me the same lecture last week. I have been trying to do that with my mages and it is working a bit. I know I should let others run with things more. I just find myself going ahead with whatever thought that's in my head. I will try to do as you ask and let others do the farm Idea. I will do the mirror systems myself though. I want to be sure we are safe."

Angel put her hand on my arm. "I just worry that's all. After all that's a Queens job. That and paperwork." She frowned. I smiled back at her and left to do my job.

Darla was waiting for my outside. She smiled and fell into step with me. I asked her "Have you taught ward and alarm spells? We need to be sure that all the combat mages know these spells. I want them trained if they don't. If you see Veronica send her to me. I am putting her in charge of preparing the farm."

Darla smiled "And where will you be? While all of us are working." She was teasing.

I sighed I will be in the main mirror room working on how to set the traps without smashing myself. I want us able to port out within the day. That means re-tuning three mirrors and a lot of rings. Come to think of it send Jan to me she can help re-tune rings. It is going to be a long day." Darla looked at me and nodded then headed off to find some mages. I was almost to the main mirror room when that arrogant mage came up to me. Just what I needed.

She said "Where have you been I have been looking all over? Well answer me whelp!"

That did it I was not in the mood for this and she ticked me off. With a wave I zipped her mouth. Then I grew to be seven feet tall and looked down on her. I took a second then said "You have talked down to me for the last time!" I slowly wove a spell that would take the arrogance and reverse it! I cast the spell that would last for twenty four hours. I returned to my normal height and unzipped her mouth. She ran away. I sighed I'll send someone to find her later. I had work to do.

An hour later I had the first mirror Re-tuned and up and was planning the placement of the traps when the mages came in. My four and three of the new ones. Miss arrogant was absent. I looked at Veronica and asked "Did Darla tell you of the farm idea?" She nodded "Good I will pull out the spells and give them to you in the morning. Go look for a place that would be useable." She nodded. I looked at Jan "You can help me here. you can re-tune rings While I finish the mirrors and traps." She nodded. I looked at Sophie "You can make more rings with this crest on them." I showed her my ring. She nodded. I looked at Vanessa "You can help me with the rock trap. First go get a lot of steel from the storage room on this side. Sophie you can help with that. Use steel to make the rings." I looked at the three standing back watching. I waved them forward. "What is your names and magic?"

The first one said "I am Linda a water mage. To my left is Fran a fire mage. Beyond her is Sammie a earth mage. We would like to be of help. We are not like Nancy she is way too arrogant for a air mage."

I smiled "You can find Nancy and bring her to me. By the way she is under a spell right now to reverse her arrogance. So she may be scared of everything." The three looked at each other. "All right go!" Everyone did as they were told and a lot got done. By dinner time the mirrors were back up, re-tuned and trapped. A long time it took. I sent everyone to dinner. The three new mages had not returned yet. I flew to my home and had dinner. In the morning I will do the mirror room on this side.

After dinner I went for a walk along the lake shore. I was tired. I thought what was I going to do with low level mages? Train them I guess. That is what the Hall of Magic is for. When we get the Mage hall done we will need staff. My thoughts were jumbled when I heard some whimpering. I followed the sound and found Nancy hiding in the cave where Ben and I will hopefully have our date. She looked terrified. I decided to break the spell. I stepped up and broke the spell and looked at her cowering there. She regained some of her arrogance and stood up mad but not ready to take me on. I said "Head to your quarters it is past dinner time. Remember what is happened and look at the way you have been acting. I have little time for arrogance. Go now you are spoiling my evening stroll." She hurried away. I ran into Ben on the way. He smiled "Now I know why that mage looked so scared. Can we talk?"

I smiled back "Sure, I was just having a evening stroll. Do you want to walk or sit?" I had a feeling he was going to break our date. I hoped not. At least this time it will be face to face. He pointed to a bench. We sat down.

He looked hesitant. I gave him time. After a while he said "I know about Eric. It does not matter how I found out. I want to here your side?" Hmm this could be tricky.

"It would help to know what you know. That way I can correct any misinformation." i said. Hoping he did not get some wild story.

He sighed "I was told you are really a man and only dress this way for fun!"

Well that was straight forward. I decided to tell him the truth. So I told him everything I had told the girls. Then said "So you see in my heart I have always been a girl. It just took magic to let out that part of me. I live here a total and complete woman! This is not for fun it is just who I am. It is the person on the other side of the mirror that is the fake! When I get out of high school I will leave him behind. But for now he is needed."

He thought on this for a moment or two then said "I am not sure what to think right now. I will tell you if our dates still on Friday. I am sorry but I need time to think." He got up and walked off. So much for my night.

In the morning Veronica showed up and I gave her the needed copies of spells. If I didn't have so much work to do I would run off on a shopping trip. Darla showed up looking for orders I told her to "Teach this day." I had too much to do right now to give her any other task. She looked at me but said nothing. I had pointed at the other mages that were walking up when I said that. Well that took care of the new four. The others had their jobs for today. I got ready and headed for the back door. I must emit that my mind was on the talk I had with Ben yesterday. I went over and over trying to see if I could have told him any easier. The answer keeps coming up no, I did the best I could under the circumstance. I got to the secondary mirror room AKA the back door. Jan and Vanessa was waiting for me all ready to start. We got set then right to work. We quickly put up the re-tuned mirrors and trapped them. They were as safe as I could make them right now. After lunch Sophie showed up with twenty four Sword and the Rose Crest Rings ready to be enchanted. We had tuned each mirror different so we needed to enchant six addresses into the rings. That is a good afternoons work for two. So I sent Vanessa off to lunch. I sighed and headed in for lunch. Sophie headed out to find her own lunch and Jan cam in with me. Jan and I talked while Sasha and Eva served lunch.

I got up after lunch and pulled Eva aside. I said "Tomorrow, I'll try to get to your problem in the morning. I have a lot to do right now but I have not forgotten you." She smiled weakly and nodded then went back to her work.

I decided to make a very special ring for the Queen. So I headed for the crystal storage room. I picked up the brightest sapphire that was left there. Jan had followed me to see what I was doing. I then walked to a practice room in the Hall of Magic. I said "This is where we will work. My magic is higher here." She nodded and we set up on the floor. I said "First a special ring for the Queen." Then I shaped the sapphire into a lovely crest ring. Then I transferred all the addresses in my ring to the Queen's ring. I added the new addresses and two layers of adapting enchantments and the Queen's ring was done. I looked up at Jan. Her eye's were wide.

She said "You sure do good work fast to. What level are you anyway?"

I smiled "Last time I was tested level seven crystal mage and level eight enchanter. That was a year ago it might have changed."

Darla said from the door "She is a prodigy levels change fast for her. Sometimes becoming irrelevant. My lady the Queen calls. She wants to see us."

I stood up and said "Jan continue making rings I'll be back when I can." When Darla and I were outside. I said "What's up? I got work to do. Oh well, at least I finished her ring." I held up the ring. Darla looked at the ring and whistled. I smiled at her reaction. We walked down to the shore and got in a boat. Off we went at quite a clip. we got to the other side pretty quickly. Out of the boat we got and off to the Crystal Hall. The Throne room was strangely silent when we got there. The Queen was on the Throne but otherwise the room was empty. I approached and curtsied. The Queen looked at me. "Someone has been spreading rumors about you. I think Eric has been found out." Angel said.

I said "Tell me something I don't know. Ben has heard one and it almost crashed our date on Saturday! When I find the person that spread such lies. Well it is best not to think that way! I just hope it is not someone I like. That would hurt too much."

Angel said "I have found the person. It is Stella, one of my maids." I went cold but did not say anything. I went over my options in my mind and all turned out badly for all involved. I guess I am screwed anyway I go.

I sighed "The damage is done there is nothing I can do but set the record straight. Then leave Sanctuary. I can no longer be effective. People will not trust me."

Angel looked at me "NO! You will not leave! You keep this place running! We will work though this no matter how it turns out. I will see to punishing that maid. You say nothing till we have to. This is what we will do. No running away, no fighting, just waiting. Do you understand?"

I said "Yes, your Majesty. Here is your new ring for all the mirrors and a little more. I will show you the little more later." I handed her the sapphire crest ring. "It is one of a kind. I hope you like it." She took the ring and began to cry. She held it up to the light. She took off the old ring and put it in her pocket. Then she smiled as she slid it on. Once in place I said a quiet word and the ring changed size to fit her perfectly then the grippers engaged. she looked at me. I said "You will never loose this ring. Nor can it ever be stolen. Only you or I can ever remove that ring. I made it that way. I need to get back to work if you will excuse me." I curtsied and left.

Outside I grew my wings and was ready to take off when Darla said "That was very grown up thing you said until you said you would leave."

I said "Leave it Darla! I really don't need this right now. Just leave me to my work. That is the only way I am going to get through this. The Queen has forbidden me from leaving so I wont. I will just work." Before she could say anything I took to the air an flew back to the Hall of Magic. I sat down and began working. I did two for every one Jan did. When I finished twelve I started to work on my ring. I was silent the whole time. Jan after looking at my face said nothing.

After the rings were finished I thought of who needed a ring? Darla, Jenny, Jessie, Tina and Tara were a given. I had mine, Angel had hers. That left a stockpile of nineteen. I was thinking of giving one to Zoe. There came a knock on the door. I was surprised to see Angel there. She was dressed down and not wearing her crown. I smiled and got up and went over to the door. She had not came in yet. She smiled back and said "I was about to go on a overnight food run to Crystalis. Do you want to come?"

I said "I thought we were banished form there?" I was dieing to get back there for the few things I left behind. There are also things there you cannot get at the trading posts.

She smiled "I talked Mother into letting me and you come for a visit. I know what is the catch? Well the catch is it has to be you and me and it has to be tonight. My Birthday by the way." she giggled. "So quickly show Darla and Zoe how to work the traps. Just in case. We have to go." I did not like both of us being gone so soon after a attack but what can I do. I quickly called Darla and Zoe and briefed them on the traps. Then gave them both a ring and stuffed the rest in my bag. After that we went to the back door and we were off.

On the other side of the portal a maid was waiting for us. I was surprised that Cryss had came with us and settled on my shoulder. I scratched her and looked at Angel. She reached out and stroked Cryss's neck. Well I guess she does not object. The maid was looking at our clothes with a look of what the? I looked at the Queen and said "Shall we get ready Your Majesty? Your Mother awaits." She smiled and changed into her gown and crown. I also switched to my gown and brought out my staff. We looked each other over and I said to the maid "We are ready now take us to the Queen. She curtsied and did as she was told.

The way to the Queen was still as breathtaking as always but as before I was not looking at it. We got to the Throne Room and stood before Queen Aslina. Angel nodded Queen to Queen. I curtsied and waited for the two Queens to start things off.

Queen Aslila started the show "It is good to see you my Daughter and now you are a Queen. You make me proud on this day you were born. I have invited you here to give you a gift and to announce your betrothal."

Queen Angel looked at her Mother "My betrothal can only be arranged by the head of the House I am in. As you know I left your House and Joined another some time ago. So any Betrothal You set up would be invalid."

Queen Aslila looked at me "And you mage how fare you?"

I spoke "I fair well Your Majesty, Though it is Grand Mage." I wanted no part of this fight. That was for sure.

Aslila said "Grand Mage now how far you have come from the crystal mage you were. Well with a Princess on your side I am sure things changed quickly."

Angel said "Now that the Betrothal nonsense is over what is this gift you speak of? We need to get back we have Sanctuary to run."

Aslila Said "I don't think I'll give it to you now you are being a little bratty."

Angel said "Talk about bratty you say a few and send twenty four! I think this visit is over."

Aslila ordered "You are in my Hall now I say when you leave! Perhaps a few Days in the dungeon will make you realize who is in charge here!" I dropped a bunch of water from a nearby vase a little ice magic and instant mirror! Portal open and we are gone. Thanks to Darla monitoring. Ice shattered up and no one can follow.

I turned to Angel "With all due respect. Are you crazy? When we are in a enemy fort do not insult the head baddy!! That is the easiest way to get dead! You know that don't you? You are just lucky I took precautions! Please Never Do that to me again!" I went stomping off to calm down. That took quite a while. When I returned to my house Darla and Angel were having tea on the porch. Angel was dressed down again and she handed me a hand written letter. It was a reprimand and a apogee in one letter. I agreed with both I gave her my apogee for yelling but not for what I said. I looked at Darla "Thanks for the portal it hit at just the right time."

Darla smiled "That seeker spell made it easy." She looked at the Queen "I know the spell now we can get rid of the raiders if you wish."

"Tomorrow, Tonight I want to Just be a girl on her Birthday." She said.

I called Eva and Sasha out of the house. I said "Bake a Birthday cake right away. Put together tidbits and such for a party for seven right now!" With that I grew my wings "I'll be right back." With that I took to the sky. It was easy to round up the rest of the six. soon I was on the way back Ready to Party. I stopped at the silver and gem storage rooms. Then was off to my home and the party.

The others were there when I got there. The party was in full swing. I sat to one side working on the Queens gift. At midnight Angel said "I am now fifteen years old."

I said "Then you should open your gift." And I handed her a bundle wrapped in a scarf. She looked at me then gently unwrapped the gift. It was a silver choker and sapphire pendant that matched her ring. There was the ooh's and aww's and the like. Angel looked at me with tears in her eyes and I got a firm hug for that one. The party went on for an hour or so then broke up. Darla and I put Angel to bed in the spare room. Darla headed out and I went to bed.

In the morning when I came down Angel was at the table having tea. She was dressed down and wearing her choker. I smiled. I sat and made chat for a few moments. When Eva came in I decided to take care of her problem. I stood up and told her to be very still. I formed the spell in my mind then cast it. It took a lot more magic that I thought. I passed out just when I was done.

When I woke my head hurt and my mouth was dry. I turned my head and there was Angel holding my hand. She smiled "Your awake. That's good the healer has come and gone. She said it was fatigue from over reaching your abilities."

I said "Is Eva ok?"

Angel grinned "Yes she is more than ok she is a whole woman now. You worked a miracle on her that she will never be able to repay. Always doing for others are you not? Well you are the one to be done for a bit. Till Friday you will not get out of this bed unless going to the bathroom. Understand me?"
I said weakly "Yes Your Majesty!" Well at least I can hear Ben's answer. I could use some more sleep. So I closed my eyes and slept.

The next two days were mostly sleep. I found I really did need it. On Friday I felt much better. I was sitting with Angel on the porch when Ben walked up. Angel said "Well I need to get back to Crystal Hall. You two have fun now." With that she strolled off. I offered Ben a seat and he sat down.

Ben got right to the point. "After what you told me I did some heave thinking. I came up with two things. Yes, I do want to date you! second I am going to find the person who started that rumor and smack them in the mouth."

I smiled "So our date for tomorrow?" Grinning he nodded. "Then all is grand with the world." I concluded. This was going good. Ben pushed up an waved as he left the porch. I got up and went inside. I stopped when I caught sight of Eva. I wonder hmmm. I went into my den and brought out the testing box. While I was getting it I put one of the new rings in it. I called Eva and Sasha over. I smiled "This is a test for those are suspected of having magic. Who will go first?" Sasha backed away not wanting anything to do with the test. I said "Ok you can go back to work Sasha. Eva are you willing to try?" She nodded "All you have to do is open the box without using your hands or harming the box." Eva looked at the box and I could feel her will building.

She said "open box please" under her breath. The box opened right up. showing her the Sword and the Rose Crest Ring on the velvet.

I said "You passed the test, take your reward." She reached for the ring like it was going to shock her or something. Once she had it in her hand I said "Well put it on. It shows the world that you are on your way to being a mage." She put it on then fainted. I sighed "Welcome to the new you."

Darla came in looked at Eva on the floor and said "What's up with her? You fire her?"

I smiled "She just found out more has changed than her pluming. Turns out she has mage level magic in her. help me get her on the couch." I chuckled as we did that. "I was almost as startled when I passed the box test. Of course I was sitting down."

Darla chuckled and said "Well if you are through playing I need some rings for the people who are going on the food run." She held her hand out.

I smiled "How many are going and how many rings?" I wanted to keep track of the rings.

She said "We are sending six, two combat mages dressed down and four knights also dressed down. So we need two rings. The Queen is setting this up. We need a lot of food. We also need seeds. We will get the animals later. Veronica wanted to go but the Queen said she would have to ask you. She is outside trying to get her courage up." I went to the door and waved Veronica in.
I smiled at her "Veronica do you have something to ask me?" I waited while she tried. then said "You may go but dress down and here is a portal ring keep it safe. Stick with the others and listen to what they say." She nodded an rushed out. I shook my head at her antics. Darla and I played cards waiting for Eva to wake up. the jingle at my wrist told me the Queen was calling. "Yes, Your Majesty Do you need something?"

Angel's voice was a little stressed. "Yes I need you here now. My Mother is going to speak to us on a link and she said it was important. I have been trying to smooth things over with her. It is hard going but this might just do it. So get here now."

I said "Yes Your Majesty on my way." I shook my head and was out the door. I grew my wings and flew to Crystal Hall. I wondered while in flight what could make her Mother happy after we pulled a disappearing act on her. I flew right up to the door and walked in. The knights at the door seemed startled. I smiled as I passed them. As I entered the Throne room Angel waved me over to a side room. A small mirror was set on the wall there. The Queen stepped in and closed the door.

She activated the link and Queen Aslila's face showed on the mirror. "Ah, now we can get on with things. I have decided to go ahead with the betrothal. If you want to have good relations with Crystalis you will not object."

I spoke "How do you plan to betroth your daughter to?" If it was someone who wants power it could be a problem. I did not like the smile on her face.

Queen Aslila said "You might know him, Eric Vine! I am sure he will make a fine king. Don't you think he is a fine choice. Her grin was positively vicious.

I spoke in a calm manner. "That person doesn't exist in this world and if I have my way he never will! As soon as I finish high school he will never exist again! So if this is your plan forget it! I will fight every mage you have if I need to but there is no way this is going to happen!"

Queen Angel said "See Mother it is just as I have said. We will not do as you ask. We will have to find another way." She spoke very calmly I was very proud.

Queen Aslila sighed "You are making things hard on yourselves. At your age if you are not betrothed you are looked down upon. The Great Houses will not take you seriously. You all will be considered outcast. It is the way it has always been."

I said "Then things are going to change! As Head of this house I will not allow this to happen! My Queen will choose for herself and for love!"

Angel said "I will choose when the time comes. No one will force me! Not with my mage behind me. I'll stand and love by my own heart!"

Queen Aslila smiled "That is what I hoped you two would say. Open a package portal. I have a gift for you." Angel did as asked. A small package came through.

Angel said "I got it Mother." She opened it. There was two sets of earrings.

Aslila said "Use them well. You will know when and how to use them. Good day you two. Ember take care of her till she finds love." The mirror was just a mirror again. I shook my head. I just did not understand that Queen.

Angel said "Turn your head a little. That's right now hold still." I was still thinking of the Mother not the Daughter. There was a sharp pain in my ear. My hand went to my ear. "Leave it alone. now hold still again." Dang it she pierced my ears! She could have asked me. Well it's done now and they are pretty. I smiled at her. I noted she had the other set in her ears. I also noted that the sparkle was from an enchantment. I wonder what they do? I was about to ask when there was a tapping at the door.

A maid, Betty by name stuck her head in "Your Majesty the expedition is ready to go."

Angel said "Of course, Come my mage let see them off." She strode out towards the mirror room leaving me to follow. I strode in her wake thinking. We got to the mirror room in short order. One of the knights was arguing with the combat mage on duty. He wanted the shutters opened so they could go right now. Angel said "You are way too eager young knight. You will be on your way soon." He looked at her and paled when he seen I was there too. Something in his face warned me. He through a knife at me. I blocked it with my staff. He was taken and disarmed. The Queen was quite mad at this knight. I locked my eyes on his and stepped up to him.

I said "You have a problem with me?" He tried to look away but could not. I reached up and touched his temples. His thoughts were racing. Overall the feeling of hate towards me. I broke the connection when the word fag kept coming up. The Queen looked at me. I shook my head. I said "He is homophobic it is the rumor again. Where are they going?"

Angel said "Whitewater" She looked at the ex-knight with revulsion. I thought for a bit.

I said "It will have to do. Open shutter three." I used the seeker spell and found water mirror calm I cast ice and froze it that way. I tested it then opened a portal. "Throw him through." They did, I sent a break spell after him and shut down the portal. Last thing heard of the ex-knight was a splash. I said "Was another knight ready to go just in case?" The knights nodded I said "Get him." One went running out. "Close the shutter for now." Angel was watching me. I sighed "Does Your Majesty wish to put off the food run for now?"

Angel said "We will go as planned." Then she pulled me aside. "Where did you send him?"

I smiled "About ten miles outside of town, in a swamp. How does that meet with your thoughts?"

Angel smiled "That should give him time to think about his actions. What if he gets to town while our people are still there? He could make trouble."

I grinned "It could happen if I did not send him outside of Sword Point."

She grinned "The Amazon trading post? You really did not like him did you? Well why are you leaning like that?" She looked at my hip and there was blood there. She looked at one of the knights on duty. "Get the healer fast" He followed her eyes and his eyes went big. He ran out. I leaned on the wall.

I said to the combat mage "Bring me the knife he through at me. Do not touch the blade." She did and I smelled the blade and said one word "Poison!" Every head in the room turned towards me. The knight and the healer came rushing in. I handed her the knife and she smelled the blade. Her eyes went wide.

Janis the Healer said "How long? Are you in pain?" She knelt down to get a better look at the wound.

I answered "Quarter hour, I was now I am getting numb. Goddess, I hate poison!" Janis worked for about Half an hour before she leaned back.

Janis said "I think I got it all out and healed the wound but you might have trouble walking for a day or two. How do you feel?"

I sighed "Better at least I feel something." With a wave of my hand I brought out my staff to lean on. I looked around. I counted heads. "Well now that everyone is here. Lets get this show on the road. Open shutter two." Soon the team was away and I left the mirror room. Angel caught up with me Janis was still watching me.

Angel said "You can't walk home the way you are." I grew my wings "Show off. Ok, fly but I want Darla there just in case. you call Janis at the slightest flare up." I fished in my bag and pulled out a link crystal and handed it to Janis. She nodded knowing what it was.

I said "I am busy tomorrow so don't even think about calling me. I have a date! Bye, bye." Off I flew it was hard but I got home. Darla was sitting talking to Eva. I made it to a chair before I collapsed. Darla was over there in a flash kneeling seeing the blood stains. I told them all that happened.

Eva said "That type of person was why I wanted to go where no one knew me or my problem. Even if they are wrong the make your life hell."

I said "Well this person is going to bed. I need to heal before tomorrow." So I did.

In the morning my hip did not hurt as much. I still walked with my staff when I came down for breakfast. All I could think of was what I would wear and what I would fix for lunch with Ben. I ate a little heaver than normal so my stomach would not rumble before our late lunch. Darla looked over the table at me and raised a eyebrow. Her subtle way of asking what's up?

I smiled "Got a late lunch date so I am filling up now. Don't want to rumble in front of him. how was your talk with Eva?"

She smiled "Nice girl, very talented. I will be training her so she can live with the other mages for now. I think she will do fine. So no about this date? Who's it with? Where you having it? Tell all!"

I chuckled "Ok but just you. It's with Ben and we are going to the little cave behind the waterfall. He and I had a talk and he is ok with my past so far. He heard one of the rumors and was freaked till we talked and I told him the truth. Then he thought about it and the dates still on."

She smiled "Ok I'll stop sticking my nose in it. I do want to hear all about it afterwards. One last question, what are you going to wear?" We chatted about clothes and all that for over an hour till I said I needed to get cooking. I cooked for two hours. I made mostly cold dishes except for the soup that I kept warm in a enchanted container. I made Iced tea for us to drink. Then it was time for me to get ready. I took a long bath with scented bath beads. Then I went through my poor wardrobe looking for just the right dress. I was having fun. Keeping a eye on the time I did not hurry. Once I had my lavender dress and all that went with it, matching fancy underwear is so sexy. I dressed slowly and slipped on my few pieces of Jewry, light make up and I was ready as I could get. My hip was aching but I was not going to let that stop me. I looked at the time and off I went. I left more time to walk there because of my hip. I had the basket in one hand and my staff in the other so I was loaded down somewhat. I made it to the spot that killed the date last time and no one was there. I looked at the time it was a little early. Then I heard footsteps. A second later Ben came around the bend. He smiled and took the basket from me. We walked into the cave and set up for our picnic. When he seen me wince for the third time ha asked "Why are you wincing like that and what's with the staff?"

I sighed "I had a bit of trouble yesterday in the mirror room. I had a problem with a homophobic who had heard the same rumor you did decided to do something about it. He was stopped but only after I took a hit on the hip from a poisoned knife. The healer took care of it but said I will be sore for a few days. It's no big deal."

He looked at me "And what happened to your attacker?" Ben was angry and trying not to show it. He did not want to spoil the picnic.

I said "I had him thrown through a one way portal into a swamp ten miles outside Sword Point." Ben startled at that.

He said "Well I guess he is gone. I don't like that someone took a swipe at you. We need to do something about that rumor!"

I sighed "Yes Ben but what can we do that won't make it worse?" I shook my head. He looked away. We went on with the picnic but we both had our minds on our problem.

To be Continued
Life giving Comments needed and Welcome
up
201 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

some serious nastyness

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Interrogate the maid. There has to be a reason for her actions.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

When tales come true

Hi Gypsy Woman
Thank you for your writings and the pleasant moments I had reading them. It okk a while before I even decided to check the story since it is so far outside reality. However , I must admit that your story is weel imagined and you posess the little magic which is able to grab the reader and create a need to know to the point one is expecting the next chapter with anticipation. Job well done Isabelle Audet
[email protected]

Great chapter!

This story just keeps getting better and better. A question about the magic, are there set rules for the spells, or are you just making it up as you need it?

nomad

I just despise those who

I just despise those who believe they are on this earth to be the "avenging angel". All because someone misinterprets or interprets the Bible to suit and fit their preconceived ideas. The maid who began all this needs to truly have a complete attitude adjustment and cleansing of her homophobic mind.

The maid

I wonder if she is in the employ of tangent? Anyway, they need to nip these rumours before any others get hurt.

A good story!

Joanna

The Knight got off far too lightly

Attempted murder with a poisoned knife? Of the second in command of Sanctuary? The power behind the Queen?

They need to bring him back then lock him away for life. Or hang him. Maybe both. You don't just let attempted murders/traitors go.

As to the maid...

Pretty inventive stuff from our authoress.

Hum? As our heroine can and has made a transwomen into a genetic one could she turn the maid into an obviously effeminate MALE?

Perhaps after walking a few miles in a transgenders shoes , as it were, she will repent her hatred and rumor mongering and be worthy of restoration.

BTW where did she come from? The other Queen, the school for mages or one of the hiring halls?

I worry the Grand Mage and her young Queen put on the magical earrings without studying them.

Are they truly a loving gift or something less kind?

What is their REAL purpose?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Ultimate Source...

...of the rumors about Ember's gender would seem limited to Crystalis and Earth. (Especially now that the events on Whitewater, when she explained to Eva that Eric too was born male, got nullified.) "From Earth", of course, could include any of the Six while on Sanctuary, if whoever learned about it overheard a conversation among two or more of them -- something that serving maids are often good at in the normal course of their business. It would have been relatively simple to misunderstand it in the way described, and I think Ember's inclination to show off would justify someone reaching the conclusion that misdirection of that sort would be right up her alley.

If that's the case, the deliberate disinformation campaign that Ember and others assume is taking place may not have really happened; it may just have been a rumor too juicy to die. (I wouldn't bet that way -- even if that's how it started, I think someone then deliberately took advantage -- but it's a possibility.)

Anyway, if anyone at Tangent knows about Eric being Ember, I'm pretty sure they didn't at the time of the school search. But the headmaster and the teacher Ms Bell got clued in after that, and we don't know enough about them to be certain they didn't pass that information along. The headmaster's professed concern is that nothing interferes with his school, not that nothing interferes with Sanctuary.

Still, communication between Sanctuary and anywhere else seems so tightly controlled since the last battle that it would have been tough to hatch a plot there. It'd have to cross over along with the food or new employees (or Crystalis emigrants; more on that below) and where and when that happened, except for the latter, would be difficult for conspirators to project.

Crystalis is more complicated, assuming the queen is in the loop. (If Darla's behind this, then she's really deep under cover.) If Aslila and Darla aren't involved, I guess it'd have to be some underling manipulating the list of emigrants, which seems unlikely to me, though by no means impossible. Ongoing communication would have to be via the next group of arrivals.

I think we can safely say that the Queen Aslila wants Sanctuary to succeed -- if not, she wouldn't have gone through all the machinations that got Eric/Ember and her daughter there in the first place. If she wanted Eric in the ultimate leadership role there -- which seems to have been Plan A, as Ember -- then making Eric king (we've been told that he's from a noble family, so he could (co-)rule and not just be a consort) makes a good Plan B. She seemed pretty sure that it'd be rejected out of hand.

To try and force the issue with a rumor campaign strikes Ember, at least, as counterproductive since it clouds her credibility. I wonder if Aslila doesn't care about that. At least when she wants to, Aslila can seem an arbitrary ruler and may not have any problem with Ember/Eric being the same, as long as Sanctuary and Crystalis are allied and Crystalis has the upper hand.

But that doesn't feel right; becoming Eric on Sanctuary doesn't seem like anything even an outmaneuvered Ember would consider a solution. (Unless the earrings have a say -- it's stupid and (IMO) out of character for Ember to put them on, knowing there's an enchantment there she can't identify.)

As to what to do about it, I'm not coming up with any ideas, once the truth is announced, that aren't coercive or heavy-handed, assuming Ember doesn't resign. I'm interested in seeing how our author proceeds.

Eric

I like!

Patrick Malloy's picture

I've always been a fan of "Sword & Sorcery", so this is right up my alley. Nicely paced, a few spelling errors and word usage problems, but none that detract from the story. Keep up the good work.

Patrick Malloy