When tales come true Chapter 08

Printer-friendly version


When tales come true

Chapter 8

Training Times

When the boat hit the far shore I looked at my new home. Cryss had been gliding on the wind and landed on the prow of the boat looking at me. "I guess this is our new home." I gathered my magic picked a spot placed the house down and enlarged it. I turned to Zoe "You did not need to come into exile with me."

She looked away "I was sent to serve you. That is what I am going to do!"

I wondered what was going on with her? "Well go check if anything got broken during the move. I am going to find a place for a mirror room." That's what I did I went along the wall looking for a good place. It did not need to be big because it only needs to serve two people. I found some people had been mining on this side. There was storage rooms with tons of crystal and metals I could use to create something wonderful. I even found a mirror room already set up. This took quite some time so I headed back to my home for lunch.

Zoe was on the ball and had my lunch ready and a report on what was broken during the move. It was only a few small things that did not matter. I was wondering if Darla was going to argue over the books in the den? I rested the rest of the day. In the evening a boat showed at the shoreline. Darla got off and I watched her head for my house.

She did not yell like I thought she would. She was really pleasant when she said "Good evening are you planning on staying here for long? When I nodded she went on. "Well I guess that is your right. If you don't like what's going on you withdraw. I need these books to start the others magic lessons. When I am done with them I will bring them back." She handed me a list.

I glanced at the list nothing of note. "Zoe go to the den and bring me these books." I smiled a tired smile at Darla. "I know this is probably a bad move on my part. I let my emotions get the best of me. I will not turn away any you send to me to learn crystal magic." I just sat on the porch and wondered what she would say next.

Darla smiled "That is good but I don't think it will be for a week or so. You need the rest and everyone needs to get into their training. Crystal magic is a specialty magic so not taught right off the bat. This summer I will be sending a few to you that are worth training in the higher levels of magic. Come to think of it this will work out well."

I smiled "Are you staying the night? Dinner is all most ready." Zoe came out with the books and handed them to Darla. Darla shook her head no. "I will see you later then."

Darla called over her shoulder "Rest well, you will need it. Till next time good luck." Then she was gone.

I went inside and Zoe served dinner. I made it a early night. Sunday morning I started the Hall of magic. Like the Crystal Hall this one was made of woven crystal. Unlike Crystal hall this was more like a gym with smaller practice rooms. It took all day to make the walls. I borrowed energy from the waterfall to fuel the project. I decided to head back to school before dinner. So I said goodbye to Zoe and headed to the new mirror room. Going through was the same shifting as I passed through.

Being back as Eric was a pain, I sure don't get to be Ember long. Two full days is not very much each week. After dinner I was laying in my room reading about reinforcement spells. I heard a knocking sound but it was not coming from the door. I glanced at the mirror and caught sight of the ripples caused by a link spell. I went over and opened the link. Angels face appeared on the mirror. I sighed "Your Majesty you need something from me?"

Angel smiled "Do you have a good book on ice magic? Darla said you have all the books we will need."

I thought a moment "I think there are a few in the Den but I can't get to them till after school tomorrow. I will look then and let you know. Do you need anything else? No? Ok I will get you the books when I can. I hope my hormone depression did not put you off too much. I am sorry it just gets to me sometimes."

Angel looked at me for a long moment "I understand I will remember that. good night." Then she broke the link and I was looking at myself again.

Ice magic is on the way to elemental magic. Powerful stuff if she can control it. I grabbed my Grandmothers bag and shuffled though the books looking for Elemental magic. I found a few good spells and jotted them down. I tapped the link that Angel used. She opened it.

"Was there something else? I thought you could not get the books now? Angel was puzzeled.

"I was looking through my spell books and found several ice spells you might like."
I opened the parcel portal to hand her the papers. "These might be a little ahead of where you are now but never to early to start your spell book. There are three there for a sort of apology about the way I acted." I looked away for a moment. "Has Darla taught you how to make your own spell book yet?"

Angel nodded "I was working on that. That's why I needed the books. I forgive you!" Out came the thousand watt smile. "Does this mean you will be coming back?"

I sighed "Not right now but if you need me use the link. I am preparing a Hall of Magic for upper level practice areas. Learning some spells can be dangerous so it is good to have a place away from the main area to train."

Angel looked thoughtful "I had not considered that. All you have done so far is create things. I haven't considered that they can destroy too. You did right after all. Are you good at those type of spells too?"

I shook my head "I am no combat mage but I can use some pretty strong spells if I have too! We will need to get a Combat Mage to teach that type of magic. I don't think right away though. Have the girls get used to magic then choose a type to follow."

Angel looked behind her. "I got to go. I am glad we cleared things up. Good night and sleep tight." I closed the portal and she closed the link. All was quiet again. I went back to my book happier than before.

The next day went as planned. After school I ported to Sanctuary and got the books Angel needed then ported back. I gave her the books the same way I gave her the papers the day before. The rest of the week went well.

Friday could not come too soon. I followed the way I did last week but went to my new home. I had a gift for the Queen so got in the boat and headed across the lake. When I got there I headed for The Crystal Hall. The Queen was in the Throne room with Darla. I smiled and curtsied. Angel asked "And what brings our Mage calling on us today?"

I held out a box to the Queen and Darla. "These will help when you need to get a hold of me. They opened the boxes to find pretty bracelets. "They do voice only but it would keep us connected."

Angel smiled "How do they work and do they do anything else?" It was clear she liked the gift.

"They work like a link. Just tap the sapphire. It does have a second feature, a shield. One use only so use it carefully. To activate place your fingers on the two stones at the same time. That is all there is to it." I curtsied and prepared to go.

"Just a moment Lady Mage. Mother sent a person to apprentice with you. Dixie come in now." From a side chamber came a girl a few years older than me. She glided over and curtsied deep to the queen and Darla. She turned to me "Dixie Rain this is Lady Ember Rose Del La Silver the Grand Mage of Sanctuary. She curtsied and presented a letter. It was from Queen Aslina. It was just a short note asking me to take care of and train this girl. Angel looked at me like well?

I looked Dixie over. Then turned to Angel "Looks like I got another mouth to feed a brain too. Looks like I won't be getting back to the Hall of Magic this weekend. Do you need anything else before I go Your Majesty?"

Angel came down from the Throne and showed me a book. "Does this spell look right? I could not read your writing." She smiled that great smile of hers.

I glanced at the spell. I reached into the bag at my side and pulled out the Elementalist book and flipped to the spell to check it. I pointed to the word she had got wrong. She quickly changed the word. I said "cast it." She did but it fizzled. I shook my head and showed her the right way to cast it. A tiny Ice Dragon formed to my call and the cold in the room dipped twenty points. Just then Cryss glided in and landed on my shoulder. She was not happy about another dragon being around. I said "Do you want the ice dragon or can I let Cryss have it?"

Angel said "Cryss can have it with my blessing." Cryss looked at me eager. I nodded and she acted. A single burst of flame from her mouth and the Ice dragon was gone. Cryss looked pleased. The room heated back up. The Queen was impressed. "You did not tell me Cryss could do that."

"Cryss is growing up no telling what she can do as she grows. I turned to Dixie "Are you ready to go? that reminds me."

I tapped the sapphire and Zoe's voice came on "Yes Miss?"

I smiled "Set another place for dinner."

Zoe came back at once "Yes Miss." That was all it took.

I curtsied to the Queen and nodded to Darla. I glanced at Dixie and walked out. Dixie scrambled after me stopping to get her bags. We got to the boat and got in. A flick of magic and we were on our way. I stopped in the center of the lake. "Dixie do you know water magic?" When she nodded I said "OK Take us to that shore." it was a simple test. If you knew water magic it was easy. When she seem to be having trouble moving the boat
I decided to help her by lightning the load. With a spell I had read about the night before I grew wings and flew to the shore. I watched as she tried to get the boat going in the right direction. I shook my head as she went in circles. I went in for dinner wile she was still trying.

An hour later I went to check on Dixie. She was still where she was. With a wave of my hand and a flick of my magic the boat came sailing in to shore. She looked at me and looked like she wanted to cry. I waved her to follow. I showed her into my home and pointed at the table. She sat. I Was wondering what I was going to do with this one. She said she knew water magic but did not pass a simple test. Hmmm I will have to give this some thought. As Zoe served Dixie I went to my Den and thought.

Two hours later I came out of the Den with Grandmothers testing box. Dixie was still sitting at the table. I set the box in front of her and said "Open this box without harming the box or using your hands." I waited to see what she would do. She looked over the box then tried a knock spell and a unlock spell. Nothing worked for her. It was at that point I caught on to why she failed. "Put your energy into the box and say open please." I said. She did and it popped open. She looked at the box then at me questioning? "It is why you failed at the boat test and this test. You over think things! Pick a spell then just let the magic flow. It is just that easy. Now go to bed and think on this." Zoe showed her to the spare room. I went back to the Den to read some more.

In the morning I pulled sleepy head out of bed and set her to creating chairs out of metal rods. It was a repetitive and mind-numbing task. It should get her to do not think. Then I went to reinforce the practice rooms. A needed task but again repetitive. With six practice rooms on the north and south walls that's a lot of work. I took breaks for breakfast and lunch calling in Dixie as I did. I finished my task two hours before dinner. I checked on Dixie and she had nine usable and two maybes done. I told her she could stop when she had twelve done. I watched as she finished the last one. I told her to sit in each chair and if it holds it passed. Then we will see the count. Both maybes broke so I left her to finish two more chairs. I went to my home and relaxed. An hour later she came in finished. I handed her a book on basic shaping magic to read till dinner. After Dinner I had her take one chair to each practice room. Then she was done for the night.

On Sunday morning I had her change to making Ten benches. This was for the main room in the Hall of Magic. I told her it should take no longer than lunch time. I cast the reinforcement spell on the walls of the main room to finish my task. Dixie managed to complete her task on time. We both took time after lunch to move the benches into the main room and placed them around the walls. I then set her self study for the week. I gave her three books to study and practice. Water magic, Wind magic and Ice magic were the subjects. I left for the mirror room before dinner.

As I passed through the portal I shifted. So Eric was back for the week. Only four weekends left till summer begins. I spent the week keeping up with my schoolwork so I could have my weekends free. On Friday I found myself really looking forward to see what Dixie can due with a little training. I just hope she did the training I set for her. After school I signed out and went through the portal shifting halfway between. I was getting pretty good at shifting while in the portal.

When in Sanctuary I headed for my home to see how things were going. Half way there I felt a tingle at my wrist that meant I had a call coming over the link. I opened the link. It was Darla "Ember are you in Sanctuary yet? I need your help at the Crystal Hall."

I smiled "I'll be right there. What's the problem?" I was in a good mood and hoped the problem did not destroy that.

Darla's voice was stressed "Queen Angel is not here and Queen Aslina is here. Angel is stuck at school right now and can't get away. You are number two so it is up to you to deal with this."

So much for my good mood. "I'll be right there." Forget the boat it is too slow. Looks like it is wings again. Good thing I memorized the spell. So I cast the spell and I grew wings real fast. Off I flew to see to this problem. It only took a few moments to get across the lake. I landed by the Crystal Hall folded my wings and walked in. I have to remember to leave extra height for wings in my next hall. As I entered the Throne room I headed right for Darla and Queen Aslina. They both turned to watch me approach. I put on my best smile and curtsied wings out to Queen Aslina. I like the effect. "Your Majesty what brings you to the Crystal Hall today?"

She looked at me and my wings then spoke "I have the first three People ready to come over to Sanctuary. Are you ready?" She smiled knowing this puts us in a spot.

I smiled back "We are almost ready. Summer is still three weeks away you know? Our main people will be getting ready for finals right now. School is important don't you agree?"

Queen Aslina looked me up and down "Are you refusing my request?" Her smile was cold as ice.

I sighed "To add any more stress at this time would adversely affect Finals and in direct proportion the heath of the six. So I am afraid I will have to say no to any new people till after Finals!" I was standing straight and looking her right in the eye as I said this.

She looked me up and down once again "I see. This is your last word?" I nodded "Very well I will wait for Three weeks." She turned to the door. "Tell my Daughter I was here."

That was all she was gone. I took a deep breath my wings ruffled. Darla looked at me "You have grown. I like the wings." I was not sure how to take that. With Darla you never know. A half hour later Angel hurried in. She looked around then came over to Darla and me.

Angel looked worried "Where is she? I got back as soon as I could. What happened here?" Darla looked at me and then filled in the Queen. I just stood there and listened. I was just glad that I did not have to tell it. Angel looked me up and down much as her Mother had frowning. Angel sighed "I guess it came out as best as it could. I don't think stalling would have worked. You did very good. Thank you for filling in for me."

I curtsied to the Queen "Do I have your permission to withdraw?" I was still in formal mode.

Angel looked around and leaned over and gave me a hug. She whispered in my ear "I love your wings. You will have to teach me that spell." I truly knew we were good now. She let go and I left. As I was heading for the shoreline I ran into Jenny, Jessie, Tina and Tara. We got caught up on each others lives quickly. It was good. I said later then took to the sky. I flew across the lake slowly relaxing. As I landed near my home Zoe came out and took my bag. I was home for the weekend and that made me happy.

I checked on Dixie and she was over at the Hall of Magic. I decided to test her on Saturday. I am just going to relax today. I walked to the crystal storage room and loaded a large bin with white quarts crystal for making a bigger boat. Making magic is how I relaxed. I started to make a tri-hull boat to carry people and goods across the lake. After two hours I had a very nice boat done. It was dinner time so I went in.

An hour and a half later I was in the Den reading my spell books when I tapping came at the door. It was Dixie "Mistress I don't understand this part." It was the part on creating ice minions. A very hard part of the book. I looked at the spell provided. To put it straight it sucked. I took out my spell book and flipped to the spell I had given Angel. I showed Dixie.

"Copy this spell. It will work much better than the one in that book. We will go over it in the morning." I handed her some paper and a pen. She wrote quickly and clearly. "I hope you have been studding I am going to test you tomorrow. Get some sleep it is going to be a long day tomorrow." I waved her out. I went to bed soon after.

In the morning I went through my morning routine and headed down for some tea. Zoe was ready for me as always. My Grandmothers testing box was on the sideboard. I got a strange Idea. "Zoe I would like you to open this box without using your hands or harming the box." She looked at me then at the box. Her look became one of concentration.

"Open box!" Zoe said. the box popped right open. Well that answered that.

I smiled "Well take the ring. It is yours now." I watched as she reached out almost like the ring was hot. It looked like she was scared of the ring. She took the ring and held it up looking at it. The crest shone brightly a Sword and Rose. "We will talk of what this means later right now wear it in good heath." I took the box back into the Den placed another Crest Ring in it. I then put the box away. It was as I thought Zoe has potential for magic. I would have to think on this.

When I came out of the Den Dixie was sitting having some tea. "Well I hope you made use of the self directed study time I gave you? Because it is testing time! Up, up lets go time to see what you have learned." I tuned to Zoe "I'll be in the Hall of Magic Room P1 if anyone needs me." She nodded.

Room P1 was a mid-sized practice room. I set out a few props then told Dixie "I want you to go through exercise's one through four in the water magic book. You can start now." This should be a good warm up. The first one was to gather water from the air into a bucket. Very basic and should be no trouble. She did it ok. I put down to do this exercise more. Number two was to make the water spin in the bucket. She sloshed the water showing little control. Dang it she was failing again. I stopped her from going on. I told her "Switch to ice magic use the water to make a ice mirror. Again a basic spell. She got it to form the mirror but it did not hold more than a moment. She failed again. "Switch to wind magic." I lit a candle and placed it across the room from her. "Blow out the flame without blowing over the candle." She failed again. I don't know why but this was ticking me off.

I placed four objects before her. "Change the shape of these items." I instructed. I knew she can shape metal lets see what else she can shape. She picked up the rock and shaped it then the piece of wood. So far so good. then she picked up the crystal. It seemed to be hard for her and took longer. The last was a piece of leather. This seemed to change just by her looking at it. I said "that's all for now go read that book on shaping I gave you." I watched as she walked away.

I tapped the link for Darla. When she answered "We need to meet. I think I found what magic Dixie is good at but I can't teach her this type of magic."

Darla asked "Should I come to you or you come here?" To the point as always.

"Can you come here? I want to show you the Hall of Magic as we talk" I giggled showing off again.

She chuckled "Ok I'll be right there. You have me intrigued." She ended the link.

I cleaned up then headed for the shoreline. I spotted Darla's boat coming across the lake. When she landed I found she was not alone. Angel and Ben were with her. I smiled at Darla and curtsied to Angel and shook Ben's hand. I led them to the Hall of Magic and showed them around. They were inpressed.

Darla spoke "Now that you have shown off lets get down to it. What type of magic is Dixie suited for?"

I sighed "She is a Healer. It is a type of magic I was never taught. So I can't teach her. She needs to find a Healer to apprentice to. It is the only way to bring out her full potential."

Angel put in "True healers are very rare! Are you sure?"

I shook my head "As sure as I can be with these tests. There is nothing else I can do for her. She needs the right teacher! If we could get a healer to move here and teach Dixie it would be a very good thing! Darla do you know any that can be trusted?"

Darla looked thoughtful "I just might! If she is still alive. This would fill a hole in our ranks I have been worried about. I'll look into it."

Angel Smiled "This brings us closer to being ready for the Summer. I think We will be ready and we will do a great job. What do you think Ben?"

Ben looked thoughtful "We will do the job. Need more knights though."

"I guess that says it all. Who's staying for lunch? I said. Everyone raised their hands. I giggled and led the way to my home.

To be Continued
Life giving comments please!
up
224 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Tales 8

great story, glad the disagreement has been sorted out. Strange how a grand mage could not detect Zoe had magical potential beforehand

to be fair to Ember she is

to be fair to Ember she is still learning to be a mage herself,
plus she has been busy creating things and is only there on weekends so this is the most she has been around her at one time

it was funny that Cryss was

it was funny that Cryss was jealous of the other dragon, it would apper that Ember can not only imbue abiities into her creations but emotions and the ability to learn too, her crystal creature truly did come to life. it would probably be a bad thing then if someone created a creature when they were either upset or angry.
wonder what will happen if someone else creates either another dragon or something else and they don't want to give it up.

well done

Alecia Snowfall's picture

another wonderful chapter Gypsy. As always, I look forward to the next!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Getting along

Tas's picture

It seems like everyone is getting along just fine now, which is good, but I'm wondering what the huge rush to add more people is. Things are far from complete in Sanctuary, so why is the Queen trying to push more people there?

Maybe I'm missing something, but that's what I'm thinking right now haha

-Tas

Enjoying this but I am kinda

Enjoying this but I am kinda clastraphobic..seems
Like I am envisioning sanctuary like a journey to the center of the earth type place..need some fresh air and green things and less tomb type settings.

alissa