Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2668

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2668
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
------------------------------------------

“Lady Cameron,” acknowledged Andy Bond.
“Mr Bond,” I replied equally distant but respectful.
“We understand you have a young lady here who might be a material witness to a serious assault.”

“You know I have, but she’s asleep in bed at the moment. I was just about to call Dr Cauldwell for advice on how best to look after her, but common sense would tend to suggest she isn’t likely to be helped by being questioned by the police tonight. I suspect she’s quite traumatized so it may be days before she can give you a statement.”

“D’you mind if my colleague ascertains she is here and asleep.”

“Providing she doesn’t attempt to disturb her.”

“Of course,” Andy agreed and I led the woman up to the guest room and showed her the sleeping child cuddling a spare teddy bear we had.

“She’ll need to be examined by a doctor for a report on any injuries and of course social services will need to be informed.”

“Her mother asked me to look after her until she was well enough to have her back. She lived here until about six months or so ago, so her mother thought she would settle here after her trauma.”

“I’m surprised her mother could decide anything, they airlifted her to Southampton to the neuro unit, she may well be brain damaged. You do seem to get involved in tricky cases, don’t you?”

“I tend to respond to those I know when they call for help.”

“Must be nice having a generous and wealthy friend, how did someone like Ingrid manage that?”

“I’m sure you have better things to do than cast aspersions, especially against someone who has been known to sue the police and win.”

“You’re not gay are you? Little Ingrid being a bit of rough for you?”

“It’s a good job my husband didn’t hear you, he tends to have even more of a reflex action for suing people and I suspect he has enough money to outlast any delaying tactics you might like to use.”

“That’s right, use your money muscle.”

“Look, before this gets any sillier, please go and find the two men who beat Ingrid up and get them to court. They deserve long sentences.”

“Social services will be here tomorrow.”

“I knew they’d be involved—they are the body with the responsibility for the safety of children.” I didn’t have to like it. Andy and the Bride of Frankenstein left so I called Stephanie and explained the problem.

“Don’t leave her on her own, bring her in to see me tomorrow—I’ll give you a shout first thing and let you know when I can see her.” We chatted on about things in general for a few minutes then she rang off promising to call me tomorrow.

The guest room has two single beds in it. I made up the second and decided I’d sleep in it—it was me who’d agreed to look after her. At one o’clock I began to think it might have been a mistake. Everyone else seemed to be asleep except me. At six I woke thinking I was back in bed with Simon, only to realize Hannah had slipped into my bed and was fast asleep cwtched into my back. I managed to snooze for another hour.

Jacquie took the girls to school and I cancelled all my meetings. I could probably do this for a day or two but after that I’d have to find a more permanent solution than babysitting her myself.

At eleven, I took her to see Stephanie and much to her consternation, sat at the back of the room at Hannah’s insistence. I tried not to listen looking at the newspaper I’d brought with me, but it was difficult not to overhear bits at times. Should have brought my MP3 player. Finally I did manage to screen them out only to hear Hannah laughing. Apparently Stephanie had been standing behind me for two minutes with me being totally oblivious. Hannah thought it hilarious. I suppose I might have at her age.

“These are the two men Hannah thinks might have assaulted her mother.”

I took the small piece of paper and glanced at it. I didn’t know either of them, perhaps the police would. Stephanie completed a form for the police giving a statement requiring that, Hannah, who wished to stay with me until her mum got well again, be allowed to do so. Stephanie also said she’d pop by in a day or two depending upon the menu.

After this we called at the police station and Hannah gave a statement. The two men had called round claiming to be debt collectors and had offered to cancel some of the debts for services in kind. She made a guess at what that meant and was spot on—my lot wouldn’t have a clue—and when Ingrid went to throw them out they beat her up. Hannah managed to almost escape unharmed except one of them threw a chair at her as she ran and it broke, part of the leg catching her on the face—hence the bruising. She ran and then called the refuge who organized someone to collect her and her mother. For a ten year old that took some resourcefulness.

When I called Southampton and explained who I was, I was told there was no change in her condition which remained critical. I told Hannah her mum was still very ill but we’d go and see her as soon as we could.

I went to the university and sent Delia out for two tuna rolls and some cola for Hannah. Personally, I’d rather drink plain water rather than add to the profits of huge companies who have a dubious environmental record.

Hannah sat in my office reading her magazine while I dictated letters and signed others, then left some reports for Delia to type later. I think Delia was actually glad when we left because I’d deluged her in work. She reminded me I had a meeting with Dean. We both laughed because we knew that wasTom, except he’d made Pippa call to say I needed to be at the meeting. That was at ten, tomorrow. If there was no one available to sit her at home, I’d bring her in and she could read in the office while Delia kept an eye on her. That was the theory—yeah, we all know, practice is different and doesn’t make anything perfect, just better at hiding their mistakes.

I thought it better to take her home and let Jacquie collect the girls rather than have them see I’d been trailing her round with me. The last thing I needed just now was a sense of resentment or jealousy from some other ten year olds. I left them all playing together doing their homework. Depending upon how long Ingrid was likely to take to recover, St Claire’s might be getting another recruit, if only of a temporary nature.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
265 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A bit surprised

That Cathy hasn't gone to the hospital to try a little blue light.

Worth waiting for

You more than deserve some time off and this episode was well worth waiting for.

Sounds like some of Cortez's thugs are still in business. Hope the bad guys don't come looking for Hannah at Cathy's. A couple of well placed arrows would be justifiable if they did.

Hugs, Sarah Ann

'nother good un -

Another excellent chapter Ang. Seems this policewoman has a dislike of gender variant and homosexual people. Even after all the efforts the police forces are doing to change their profile. It seems some will never change their prejudices.

Still lovin' it.

bev_1.jpg

Plucking heart strings

Nothing gets to me quicker than when women and children get caught in the middle of a thugs desire to beat on something. Little Hanna will need a lot of T L C to keep things on the tracks, and for better or worse Catherin is the one best to do that.

On a slightly different bent, we may also have a clue to the strange behavior of Ingrid when she departed Catherin's employ. I might think Ingrid may have been running from the 'debt' collectors, who just nearly taken her life. This is a very sticky problem that , I am praying, does not lead those thugs to Catherin's lair, before Mr Bond manages to wrangle them into a jail cell.

Great chapter thank you very much for its offering.

Huggles
Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Sounds like another round of educating bureaucrats

in the works. I'm surprised Andy didn't warn his partner first, even if he's tiffed at Cathy. In a battle of wits Cathy can hold her own with anyone, including Trish.

I'm addicted to this series, but I need my writer healthy and happy. :)