Julina of Blackstone - 045 - Routines and Surprises

Printer-friendly version

Is life settling down for the Townsfolk?

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 2

by Julia Phillips

045 – Routines and Surprises


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
045 – Routines and Surprises

“Maker!”

“I know. But when Master Magser gets here we can divide the duties, I deem.”

“Yeeees,” I said slowly, “but you are not here all the time. On the other hand, I suppose I can cope; after all, that was what I was expecting to have to do. So we will continue as was originally planned, but you take the first two bells of each day, and I shall take the last two bells?”

“Agreed. Good. So let me get on with my lessons for this morning.”

We hugged each other briefly and I left Epp to her students.

My next place I called in was at the forge – I wanted to ask Uncle something, but he wasn't there. Acting upon information received, I traced him down at Pocular's.

“... I'm convinced that you shall require more than just fifty. My inquiries down in Tranidor show me that so many people now know about them, they shall be catching up with demand for a month or more. Which is why Master Pocular requested that I came here and … OH! Mistress Julina you arrive at the most perfect opportunity. You shall save us four or more bells of preparation, I deem. The situation is that I am certain that there are insufficient hand mirrors for the demand that shall come tomorrow and Vidrin, Master Pocular's senior man here, has doubts as to my estimates, feeling in some way that the hand-mirrors and beam lanterns are more baubles than practical items. Shall you tell him your thoughts?”

Without acknowledging me in any way, Vidrin looked at Uncle: “With respect, Master Brydas, what would this young woman know about it?”

“Vidrin, she INVENTED the thing. She is currently the only one in this entire world that owns one of them privately. It is thanks to her that you and your Master shall end up rich. It is thanks to her that your Master is down in Tranidor trying to help with the demands that shall come there. She and I are but recently returned from a trip to Tranidor in company with Pocular. She knows more about this thing than you do, even if you make them.” He turned to me, asking: “Julina, how many hand-mirrors do you deem shall be sold here?”

I turned to Goodman Vidrin and asked a simple question, keeping a strong lid on my irritation, which was in danger of turning into anger: “How many females are there in Blackstone? Because that is how many DEFINITE customers you shall have, and then I deem half the men will want one too!”

His eyes flew open.

“But … but … but … oh how shall I decide who gets one? We have but fifty four ready, and we are making a mere hand a day. Oh what shall I do?”

“Calm down and continue,” I said with a bit of a forced smile. “Firstly, has your Master said to reserve any, and if so, do you know for whom?”

He took a deep breath before replying. At least this time he was talking directly to me: “Aye Mistress, he has said to reserve a hand of them and that I should arrange for their deliveries to be at midnight tonight. I have the names. I was going to deliver them myself.”

“I would suggest that you find four other of your colleagues and each deliver one, knocking on the door as the last bell of the Midnight Announcement is sounded. You and your works shall gain much as far as your reputation goes.”

Uncle was nodding his agreement at my suggestion. Vidrin looked thoughtful.

“So that means you shall have forty nine for sale. Ah, it just occurred! Importantly, you are, I deem, aware of the price you are to charge?” He nodded. “You shall need a desk here and someone who can write and can number. And a supply of coin to make change. You should arrange all that as a priority. You cannot hope to produce sufficient numbers by opening time tomorrow, which by the way I recommend to be at the first bell, so forget trying to rush some through today. Deal with the purchasers in strict order of arrival. Make them wait in line and don't allow any barging in the line. Send bargers and the like to the back if they misbehave. Then sell your stock and take orders for the rest of the demand, writing them down in an order book. If you need paper and pens or reedlets, then come to the Salon this afternoon and I shall let you have some.”

I could see Vidrin relax slightly as someone made these decisions for him. He seemed to forget for a moment that I was a 'mere woman'. And I was using my 'mother mode' just a little bit. Uncle patted me on the shoulder and smiled encouragingly.

It was time to ask another question now, one that I suspected would bring back some of Vidrin's nervousness.

“And Beam Lanterns? There shall be almost as much demand for those.”

As I suspected, his face fell once more.

“Calm down! Just deal with that in exactly the same way! Just have your stocks that are for sale handy to the desk. You are more than capable of doing all this, so just prepare properly and it shall all flow as does the river.”

When Uncle and I left, I believe that Vidrin was calmed sufficiently to do a good job on the morrow.

… … ...

“ … not worth using coke as a fuel in the houses as the coal is so readily available here. I am seeing Master Bezan in a bell to discuss your idea of the coke plant down near the forest's edge. He mentioned briefly last night that many of the ideas we have implemented recently need re-assessing. For instance, making the Loop Road a single direction street is not proving to be too successful. He suggested last evening that the obvious success we had with the East Street plan blinded us to think that single-direction streets were the answer to everything. The Assembly shall meet this afternoon in your Salon, once the lessons are over, to discuss such matters.”

… … ...

All too soon, 'twas my time to take over the lessons. It was a chore that day, I felt. I suspect because all the unfamiliarity was making me nervous; however, I found quickly that 'twas quite inspiring to be able to feed the enthusiasm of the students.

At the handover, Epp and I agreed to discuss more lesson matters that afternoon, but I told her it would have to be in the kitchens as the Salon would be being used for an Assembly Meeting.

And so my day went, with a little further surprise for me. I was visited in my kitchens by Epp and Mousa. We all three discussed a matter and at the end of it, Mousa had been appointed to be the head of a new company, a sister company to Epp's down in Tranidor, to do the same thing up here in Blackstone. We all foresaw a demand increasing as the year continued. I used my position as head of the Salon catering team and said that much of the preparation could be done in my kitchen in the mornings, provided that the kitchen was properly cleaned and cleared for us to use in the afternoons.

“And let's meet sometime to discuss recipes that would be suitable. Maybe we can work in some mutual sauces and the like that would help each of us.”

… … ...

“No, no, Swayga. We put those in there because ….”

… … …

“It IS bedtime, Kord. Now you need to start showing some sense. As soon as you do, then I'm sure Swayga will consider letting you stay up later soon, but you have to earn that privilege by showing her how sensible you can be. So no argumentation now, off you go – and be sharp about it, please.”

… … …

“Papa, what think you of the …”

… … …

And so my evening drew to an end. I wondered briefly if Vidrin had managed to organise the midnight deliveries properly, but my eyes were too keen on closing for me to worry about someone else's duties.

… … ...

I was up early the following day as my curiosity took me down to Pocular's to see if our predictions were correct. I was told by a more considerate Vidrin that the midnight deliveries had been a great success. He actually thanked me for the idea.

As for our predictions of yesterday, then we agreed between us the accuracy.

They weren't accurate in the slightest!

There must have been over two hundred people in the line, waiting patiently.

I asked many of them what they were there for, and I formed the opinion that roughly two thirds wanted a hand-mirror and two thirds of the rest wanted both a hand-mirror and a Beam Lantern. The rest were there just for the Lanterns.

My thoughts flashed down to Tranidor and I wondered at the events that might be taking place down there. I could see the street outside Tapio's in my mind's eye, filled with eager customers. (Pocular later told me that yes, there were many customers, and they didn't line up in a perfectly orderly fashion. What my imaginations had not conjured up was the fact that it was pouring with rain down there that morning!)

I felt relieved actually, because now my own one was no longer unique and that allowed a slight weight to be lifted off my shoulders. I would still have to look after it carefully, after all it WAS still the very first one ever made, but now they would be freely available I was less worried about mine being stolen.

I went and gave my lessons.

I went and did my cooking, and heard my coke plant suggestion being discussed in the next room, but I wasn't invited to attend, as was quite right.

I went to bed tired, but tired from work – a healthy sort of tired, if you like.

… … ...

The next day was much the same.

I felt at long last that a routine was being established. I would just need to fit in a few morning rides on dear Trumpa. Pomma had told me she was looking forward to resuming, and I knew without asking Sookie's opinion on the matter. Some of the girls would want to as well, as soon as we could arrange the beasts and the equipment and the clothing. I remembered that the Steward had once told me/us he might like to do so occasionally as well. I made a mental note to remind him.

… … ...

The next day as well was much the same.

But only until dusk.

It was too much to hope, I suppose, for a full week without a surprise.

Epp appeared in my kitchen at Em's with an excited air. She called me into the dining room, which was of course all set up to receive diners, and then she gestured to the doorway to the passage, beckoning someone to come in.

He appeared, and I gasped.

Master Magser had arrived.

I had been not been expecting him for another week or so.

(It was only much, much later that I discovered that that was also the day upon which Joth had been retaken from those remote enemies of ours, the Yodans.

I discovered this because I sat in, a few months later, on one of Magser's history lessons. For he had by then expanded the lessons he was giving. And all Blackstone had approved Epp's and my choice of teacher. Indeed there was a feeling that we should get a second one in!

I'm sorry, that last was still many weeks down the future from the point of time of my story. Let's get back to it … )

The same evening, Master Fedren had arrived, in company with Masters Pocular and Shemel of course.

The first action that Fedren took was to call an urgent Assembly Meeting for the following morning and requested that I attend. Epp promised to take over my lessons for me, so I could do so. It was a day when the lessons were up in the Miners' Hall, so the Salon was available for them. For us.

I was quite shocked at what I learnt at that meeting, for Fedren required my confirmation of several stories. Uncle was there, of course, and he could have also confirmed things, but Fedren felt that my presence would add a little more.

Without going into too much detail, the Assembly thanked me for my input and promised to let me know what ensued.

After getting me to explain to all there assembled the sites of the semaphore stations around Tranidor and the sight lines between them, he then asked me to explain all I knew about Salien, his work, his arrest and his trial.

He then made us all gasp.

Fedren admitted that he had no hard and fast proof, but: “It appears, Captain, that this Salien has been employed by Count Trosanar to keep an eye on all the semaphore traffic that passes through the two outside stations down there. Our messages downvalley are being read and acted upon by the Count, to gain himself whatever advantage he can.”

… … …

Looking now at my notes, I see that Magser arrived on the 3rd of Marash, and that means Fedren did too. So the Assembly Meeting where we learnt about the Count's behaviour was on the 4th.

We all in our Town seemed to settle into a regular routine quite quickly after that, and I confess my life got a little easier.

That first week, I very nearly got my whole week of regular routine, but only very nearly – because on the 9th, Legbato and his group turned up.

Their performances were well received by an appreciative audience on the following three nights and many were disappointed when they departed on their fourth morning – the 13th. The Town's thanks were still ringing in their ears as they crossed the bridge and headed for the forest.

I knew, of course, that Berdon and Bettayla were due before the end of the month, but they would not be performing for a week or two after that.

But I also knew that most of the others didn't know, if you know what I mean.

… … ...

After two and a bit weeks without a surprise, not that it was really a surprise, more of a change in routine really since we had received notice of B and B's arrival, they duly turned up on the 30th. Our planned accommodation arrangements however did not work out, as some of the pairings we had catered for didn't prove themselves to be suitable. It was awkward for three or so nights until we found solutions.

B and B joined Magser as lodgers in Em's house, their wagon man was fitted in down at the Claw, and some others were dotted round in various other houses in town. The Miners' Hall was the most suitable location for their performances, at least until the weather improved, as performances in the Claw involved shutting the common room down.

And then we had a major surprise the following night, but I will return to that after dealing with the subject of solutions; for many of the innovations that had been implemented gave rise to problems, little and large.

And solutions had become necessary.

… … ...

With the Loop Road being used as originally designed, it added a mark or three to the distance the wagons had to go, and so the bunkhouse became ever more popular with the wagoneers. As a result of that, a modified version of my Wender system was set up to bring them back up to town once their wagons were parked for the night, and later, to return them there at the end of the evening. I was pleased and grateful to Master Tanon's company, in the person of Sookie, in that they honoured their agreement and paid me some few coins at each week end.

However, using the road 'properly' did relieve some other traffic problems. A direct result of this was that the planners used that lesson to reassess other decisions that had been made in the first flush of satisfaction and happiness when early successes had been obtained.

… … ...

There had also been the start of an experiment to see if the valley slope itself could be used and wagons 'alternated' down the slope just as they were doing down the dam slope. So far, it had been found that the distance was uncomfortable for the lengths of rope required to do it, and for making the ropes go round bends, since the Loop Road was really just one enormous bend.

… … …

What had seemed to be a great idea regarding the wagons and loading them with organised small compartments filled with coal, while excellent for reducing dust and dirt and for handling in general, it soon became apparent that a fully laden wagon was too heavy to be moved.

… … …

A further road was being started from half-way down the Loop Road, the junction with Loop Road being not trivial since it was envisaged that wagons would descend from the Stone Sea and turn both ways at the bottom, at this junction. Some would head into town, while most would probably head downvalley. When I queried this of Papa, I learnt that Milady had long before made suggestions that the stones of the Stone Sea were of use to the nation, although he had no idea of exactly how. So Master Bezan had determined that a road would be built up to the edge of the Stone Sea near the hut of that Larsenar I had heard about.

… … ...

Earlier, I mentioned a great surprise. You may recall that this took place on the last day of Marash.

There was a flurry of semaphore signals received and sent and the Steward busily went about calling on as many Assembly members as could be found. I of course was busy in my kitchen that afternoon, and was told of these events after they took place. Pomma, when we met the next day to go for a short ride, described with glee the gathering cloud of people following the Captain as he rushed hither and thither, stopping every so often for short discussions before dashing on.

Let me repeat, we neither had any idea what was actually going on during these activities. I can only report to you Pomma's interpretation of events.

And later, the other girls' interpretations.

As it was, the Steward called for as many as possible to report to the Parade Ground to hear an announcement at the seventh bell.

Now, we had a full Salon, indeed two full seatings that night for the first time, so I told the others to go along to see what the Captain wanted to tell us. I would stay behind to keep stirring, tasting and checking things to make sure we could serve a delicious meal choice later. Whilst they were out, I had a stream of urchins coming in, asking for a half bell delay to our earlier reservations. I realised after the first few that I would have to get messages to those who had later reservations so I had to run from the kitchen to the reception area and check the names of the later diners, and then send the urchins off to the later diners to ask them to agree to a quarter bell delay.

I was far busier for the half bell the girls were away than at any time before or since – well, in the Salon that is.

They came back in a cloud of giggles and excitement and wanted to gush out over what they had just learned. I had to get very bossy to get them back on track. This last was helped by the arrivals of our first guests. I had to quickly fill them in on the changes that would happen during the evening, and to get them to explain to the diners, so that everyone understood.

It wasn't until much later that I managed to piece together what the Captain's announcement had been.

He had been informed today of the date of Milady's wedding, and the arrangements of all that went with that. Young Senidet was to marry her Tedenis on the day before. It is traditional in our society that weddings do not normally happen before the Festival of Spring Dawning. Some happened of course, but most held back. I knew that Epp and Shemel planned to have theirs on the very day of the Festival. And there were others I heard about as well.

But back to what the girls had found out.

The Captain announced that a party of a dozen Blackstone residents had been invited to travel to Palarand City itself for the festival and the weddings in the following days. Half that number had been specified by Milady, four of them by name with two places for the Captain to specify, and the other half were to be selected from the community. The Captain had promised to tell everyone at the same time tomorrow just how that selection process would be handled.

I could see immediately that Gyth wanted to be amongst those that went.

But then we got very busy and we were all rushed so much that we had to drop our chats. We were so busy that it all got very hectic just putting the food on the platters and serving it. This was one of those times when we all had to help. Even then, I feared lest some of the food were to be served too cold.

I could feel my brain start to work on an idea, something to do with the way we could run the Salon, but soon my attention was fully upon that which we were being paid to do.

Of course, the subject matter of the wedding party did not just leave my head as we scurried about and I wondered just how they were going to choose.

The night was a good night for us working the Salon. The mood seemed to affect our customers, and we noticed that we were left more coin than had become normal.

There was no other topic of conversation the entire evening, and again when I got home. But no-one had any definite idea of how the Captain was to finally select the travelling party.

“I had heard that there will be the Steward, Brydas, Sookie and Bezan. And then two other prominent citizens. Probably also Assembly members. The Steward himself must go, for he is close to the Prince and to Milady, and he has good contacts to the Royal Family. Sookie is also a close friend of the pair, and Brydas' daughter will be there, so those two are certain. Bezan is also a certainty, since it would have to be either he or Master Yarling, the other staying here to organise the developments. And Yarling is far too close to that third mine, with which he hopes to find water, to want to leave.”

“I agree with those first four, Papa, but I suspect that that Master Graber shall be one to go with them, or, maybe, someone Master Graber appoints to represent the miners – but Master Graber seems to me to be the sort that takes what he can get rather than think too heavily to others. The other one to be a 'Captain's Choice' will probably be someone like Mesulkin, someone unlikely to have another chance to travel. I'm sure the Captain thinks like that, in contrast to the Miners' Collective leader.”

“You may have a point there, 'Lina. But I deem Mesulkin to be too weak for such a strenuous journey. I know not for certain, but I am sure the Captain will have to consider the rigours to be undergone.”

Swayga chipped in then with a very valid point: “I trust the good Captain shall have thought of the women travellers. You men can be dressed relatively easily, but the women travelling down there will require several gowns to be made. That will take many days, if not weeks. And on top of that, all the travellers shall have to arrange some sort of cover for the time they are away. So a reasonably accurate estimate of the time they shall be away is also a requirement.”

“I suppose that they should have some priority with the seamstresses. I wonder if indeed the Captain has considered all this.”

Papa chuckled: “Trust you women to think of things like that! The Captain has organised many an expedition in his career, I am sure he shall have taken all into account.”

“But he is not a woman! Perchance, Kordulen, you should go and have a word with Brydas, that he might use Mistress Sukhana and then gently report to the Captain before the announcement tomorrow e'en. 'Twould be better to be certain!”

“All right, all right. I shall do as you suggest first thing on the morrow.”

And so it was that we went to bed that night. Excited and worried all at the same time.

… … …

Everyone was fidgeting the whole day it seemed, waiting for the Captain's announcement that evening. Gythy surprised me by volunteering to be the one to stay behind in our kitchen so that today I could go and personally hear what the Captain had to say.

“I can't stand it, 'Lina. I want so much to leave, to see other things, I can't bear the dangling of a chance almost with my grasp. 'Tis far better this e'en I stay here and stir and otherwise occupy my mind.”

There was a hint of tears in her eyes, and I could feel her need. I simply hugged her to me, which was all it took for her to burst into tears.

By and by she calmed down.

… … ...

“... as the costs of travel, accommodation and meals shall in entirety be borne by the House of Blackstone. Milady has established her own building in the City, which is called Blackstone House, and there is a second mansion kept for accredited visitors from Blackstone lands which is called the Blackstone Hotel, in Copper Street. It is here that most of us shall be staying.

“As regards the dates of this expedition then the following factors have been taken into account:

  • - We should be there for the Festival itself, which this year shall be upon the 24th of Hirf, therefore our latest arrival should be upon the 23rd.
  • - It will take us a minimum of six days travel to get there, but that shall involve long days and more discomfort. Therefore we shall depart here in the morning of the 16th, giving us an extra day. I shall maintain a high pace for the first few days, which, without misfortunes, should allow us some extra bells to explore Dekarran before crossing the Sirrel and making our way to Palarand City. The more time we can gain in those first few days, the more relaxed will be the latter part of our journey.
  • - Some of us have a far greater interest in the weddings on the day after the Festival than others of us, but nevertheless we shall all attend to honour the daughter of Blackstone who is amongst the brides on that day, marrying a Blackstone lad no less. I wager they never even believed that this event would be quite so distant!
  • - Milady's wedding shall be on the following day, the 26th.
  • - We shall have two days to investigate the City, and shall commence or return journey to Blackstone on the 29th.
  • - Our estimated return shall be on the 4th of Pertelin.

“This means that we shall be absent for all but three weeks. I mention this because we cannot accept anyone on the journey that shall not be able to spend so long a time away from here.

“As regards the people travelling, then I myself shall be one of the dozen, as both invited and requested by Milady. Master Brydas shall also travel as another of the dozen, for it is his daughter's wedding as well. Mistress Sukhana, a friend to both the Prince and Milady, and the engaged consort to Master Brydas, shall be the third of the dozen.

“Milady requested either Master Bezan or Master Yarling also.” At this point the Steward looked over with fondness and an engaging grin to Yarling. “It seems it shall be difficult to tear Master Yarling away from his mines ...”

There was some laughter around, which the Captain allowed to start to die down before speaking again.

“... so the fourth shall be Master Bezan. Amongst these four, we have already three members of our Assembly, so I wish not to deplete that Assembly much further, to allow some semblance of control and organisation during our absence. Master Jepp has kindly agreed to fill in for me for that short period, and I hereby give official notice that he shall be my deputy.

“The fifth and sixth traveller of the dozen, Milady has allowed me to choose, to be a reward for long years of service to the Blackstone community. For Mistress Sukhana to have some female companionship, then I shall choose a female of standing. She herself intended to get married on the day of the Spring Dawning Festival, but has agreed to postpone her own event until we return. Mistress Megrozen shall be that fifth.”

Many were surprised by that, but the reasonableness of the choice was almost immediately apparent, and indeed several of us in the audience were moved to applaud the choice.

“As for the sixth, then there really was only one choice. This person is actually also a member of the Assembly, but has stood and fought at the sides of our Prince and his soon-to-be Princess, taking a quite fearful wound in the process. The house of my final choice has become our Assembly room, a school room and the seat of one of the finest restaurants in all North Palarand. Known now affectionately to many of us as 'Em', this person will make a fine travelling companion. It is, of course, our Bailiss.”

I admired the clever way the Steward failed to use any title that would suggest whether that person was a man or a woman, so I smiled to myself at that. I also found I thoroughly approved of his thinking and his conclusions. There was more warm applause from the audience, but I fancied I could sense that they were growing restless.

“That leaves then the remaining half a dozen travellers.”

Somehow we could all sense the heightening of interest, an increased sort of tension if you like.

“Milady's lands stretch far these days, and 'twould be unfair to ignore all the others outside of the Town and Vale, so I have determined that we shall split the remaining six places into four and two. From the Town and the Vale, and including the Forest Roadhouse, I shall select four. The remaining two shall come from Bezlet and beyond. The selection will be arranged by those who run the Brayview roadhouse.

“There are some rules I shall have to apply to all of these six. The person selected shall have to be fit enough to endure the rigours of the travelling, be old enough to travel alone always remembering that we have other women in the party to provide female companions, be free to depart their normal lives for three weeks, and be of good enough character, articulation and presentation so as not to embarrass Milady in our nation's capital. It would not do for a guest to drop food down themselves or other guests, who could not be understood when spoken to, or who was otherwise unable to uphold Blackstone's honour.

“If you believe that you meet all those standards, then write your name on a piece of paper, or get someone to do that for you, and hand it in to someone at my house. All received names shall be copied onto identical wooden discs after ensuring that it is not a duplicate of an already submitted name, and each disk shall be placed into a barrel that has been washed and dried. Each day, the lid shall be placed on the barrel, and the barrel shall be rolled, upturned, shaken and so on to ensure that they are well mixed.

“The last mixing shall be at this precise time of day and in this precise place on the 19th Femurin; that is in 18 days from now. Then the lid shall be removed, and the four names shall be picked out by hand, by a blindfolded picker. In this way shall the final four places from this Town be chosen.

“The date has been selected to be four weeks prior to our departure, that those chosen have time to set their affairs in order.”

… … …

Of course there were many who grumbled about the method to be used, but when we got fed up with them and asked how they would do it better, they had no positive suggestion to make, and so we dismissed their grumbles with disdain.

The meals that night were busy again and we received many compliments as well as some small coin, which was put, as usual, in our communal pot. Again a thought stirred in my brain, but so far back it was unidentifiable.

Swayga and Papa decided to put their names in after I convinced them to do so. We three were the only three eligible in our family, much to the others' disgust, and I promised to drop our three names in in the morning.

I slept through the night without waking.

… … …

It was a drear, drizzly day when I awoke and got myself ready. I was expecting a day with not much happening.

I left home, went to the Claw to slip the animals their treats and then went up to the Steward's house to enter our three names into the picking barrel. There were already a large group of others leaving their names and it took a fair while before I could achieve my objective.

I slipped into Em's front door and our town changed forever.

… … …

Kassama was coming out of the front room as I came in the door when we both heard a large thump from inside the room she had just left.

We dashed into the room, Kassama just in front of me, and we saw Master Morden lying on the floor with his mouth and his eyes open. He was not breathing and neither of us could detect a beat from his heart. I whirled round and dashed out, intent on finding a healer, or an urchin I could send to do so.

There were three urchins outside, just across the road, so I engaged all three to find a healer as quickly as could be.

I ran back in to ask Kassama if she knew where Em was and she indicated that she did not, but that Em was not in the house. I told her that I would find her and rushed out again. I popped quickly into the schoolroom and interrupted Epp's class, beckoning her out of the room. Once she emerged, I whispered to her what had happened and what was going on. She nodded and accepted that she would stay on if I was not back in time to take over.

My next stop was at the Steward's house, where I was grumbled at for pushing past, but I explained I was not there to leave my name, but on official Assembly business and was let through, still a little grudgingly.

… … …

“Captain, I must apologise for interrupting you and Master Mesulkin, but I need to find Michet, er Michen, as soon as I can. I regret to say that it seems Master Morden has died. I have sent for healers and Kassama is with him, but I am fairly sure that life has departed.”

“My dear Julina, I understand and there is no call for apologies. I believe your friend has gone to the Stone Quarry. I sent a message for the chief foreman, to be conveyed by our Bailiss, who might have gone on to find the huntsmen from there, though. I deem 'twould be better to wait for the Bailiss' return rather than chase out there and then find your quarry has travelled off elsewhere.”

“I thank you, your Honour. I shall return now to Em's house and take up my teaching duties to free Epp … er Mistress Megrozen … while Master Magser is over in the Miners' Hall.”

“Ah yes, we have two sets of lessons going on each day, don't we? I am very impressed with you three teachers, I admit. Very well. I shall be sure to send 'Em' to you should I be the first to encounter our errant colleague.” He sighed slightly. “A pyre seems likely to have to be arranged then, eh Mesulkin? ...”

I slipped out the door again, leaving the men with their arrangements to make.

… … …

The drizzle eased through the evening and night, so the pyre was set up for the next day. It was, of course, a fairly long job to bring all the wood required and the pitch to soak it in.

It was set up in the morning and finished only in the mid-afternoon, by which time most of the older residents of the town had gathered, with some 'strangers' present too.

I had discovered from Milady's time here that pyres down in Palarand are conducted very slightly differently to the way we do them up here. The loud crackling of the flames of a nearby pyre tends to drown out the words of the speakers, so we all do our talking before the pyre is lit. Only after the words have ended, does the event leader say the standard words and the main mourner then sets the fire. Downvalley, 'tis usually the attending priest, the event leader in other words, who sets the fire.

The Captain called all to silence and then asked Kassama to start with her words.

I shall not report all the words spoken about Master Morden, but shall report merely that Kassama first suggested that he had made one large mistake in his life, and she suspected he did not know how to correct it; other than that he was a good employer, and a likeable man in all other respects.

Even as several other speakers were saying their pieces, I could see that many were looking around at those gathered here with a puzzled expression. Several were nudging neighbours and whispering to them, who then looked all around at the crowd. They in turn nudged others who repeated the actions.

The Captain allowed several townsfolk to say their bits and then, as pre-arranged, he called upon me to say something.

“I have become very familiar as you all know with Master Morden's household over the weeks and months that I have been employed there. Indeed all members there have become friends, even Master Morden himself, despite my fervent disapproval of something he did all those many years ago. We had occasion to speak of this several times in his last weeks of life and I, like Kassama, believe he came to regret his actions but found no way to make amends. Aside from that one subject, we had a friendly relationship, and indeed had many laughs. He was most welcoming and embraced the many new faces that were introduced into his household. He was polite and indeed charming in all other respects. The several people who have lodged therein have all been made welcome, and he has done nothing other than to provide a friendly and comfortable environment ...”

I could see several people surprised at my use of that word, and some that did not even understand it.

“... perhaps better said a comfortable area and house and family and place to sleep and so on. Indeed, I cannot think of one who has lodged there who has not become a friend to us all.

“I see many of you looking round for Master Michen, Master Morden's only child. I have the duty to surprise you all by letting you know that Master Michen has gone away, never to return.”

There were audible gasps from everyone, but I raised my voice slightly as I continued, which redirected their attention to my words.

“The one thing that I disagreed with Master Morden about was extracting an oath from a child far too young to understand what it meant, but which subsequently defined that child's life in a most uncomfortable and stressful way. With his passing, Master Morden's oath has no further influence, and the child, known to you all as Master Michen, has been released from that burden.

“It is time now for me to cease talking and request that we light the pyre. This is normally and formally done by the nearest surviving relative. I therefore call upon Master Morden's only child to do that honour. Your Honour, Ladies, Masters, Goodmen and all others here gathered, I delightedly introduce to you this Lady to my right – Master Morden's from-birth daughter, Mistress Michet.”

A great gasp was sounded which drowned out the words the priest intoned: “The Maker made the world, and the Sun, the moons and the stars above. The Maker …...”

And so was Master Morden's body returned to the Maker and the world upon which we live.

And Mistress Michet was introduced to our Town.

… … …

A routine then resettled upon me, and the Town. Many conversations in the early days revolved around Michet with several women quick to point out to the men that a woman had done all those deeds that Michet had done, albeit in Michen's name! It added to the feel Milady had left behind, a feeling of empowerment somehow for women in general. Some women, however, became overly strident about the subject, alienating both men and women.

But the subject became a thread in the fabric of our town, and was never too far from being discussed.

… … ...

It was on the 15th of the month that the next disturbance to routines occurred.

The roadbuilders had sent a messenger up to inform Larsenar of what was intended. I heard later that this messenger found Larsenar sitting in his chair outside his hut, a cold mug clutched in his lifeless fingers, but a smile upon his face. He estimated that he had died some three or four days previously.

Larsenar's pyre was delayed several days as a semaphore had been sent downvalley to Milady and to the Prince to ask if they had anything they wished to say or have happen.

In the end, only the Captain spoke at the pyre, although many of us attended.

Larsenar's beasts were herded over to the Vale for Brethen and Brandar to handle, as Larsenar's hut area was obviously going to change in nature once the mining operations commenced. It had been decided to make the Vale area into Blackstone's pakh-farming district. The coal reserves at the head of the Bray were sufficiently large that a few more years of mining were seen here to occur before even considering opening other mines.

In the meantime, B and B and their whole troupe had enthralled and enamoured themselves to all here in the Town and Vale, and Molly had made some coin from them for helping make their performances ring with local references.

They had left town at this moment to do a quick tour of shows down at Brayview, Bezlet and the Forest Roadhouse, which were also a success I later heard.

… … …

On the 19th, the Town was effectively in uproar, without anything actually being said. It was pure torture to have to wait and everyone was not working so effectively.

When the evening eventually arrived, the crowd were waiting expectantly from nearly a whole bell earlier than the announced time. They had nothing to do for a goodly portion of that but when His Honour arrived, the crowd spent all their time focussing on the plinth where the Captain was making the final preparations.

So much so, that few noticed the dray make its way up Main Street and pull off the road next to the Miners' Hall.

“Townsfolk all, welcome to the moment where I make four of you happy, and I make the rest of you unhappy! Before we continue, I have to tell you all of a slight change to the selected travellers' party that you all already know about. Following several conversations with Milady, using of course the semaphore upon which I find it remarkable we have come to rely so very quickly, then, due to some arranged meetings down in Palarand City, Master Yarling will needs be torn from his beloved holes and shall replace Master Bezan in the party that travels. Master Bezan shall stay here to supervise the developments with his usual efficiency.

“But I shall delay no longer.”

He raised his voice, looked up and used his best military command tones: “Men! Roll out the barrel!”

Everyone looked to where the Captain had cast his signal, and the crowd up towards the Miners' Hall parted to let us see the two men lift the barrel off the previously unnoticed dray. I saw suddenly that one half of the barrel had been painted in the Royal Colours whilst the other was decorated in those of Milady.

The colours alternated as the barrel was rolled down the slope, several bystanders armed with staves guided it and controlled its speed as it came down to where the Steward waited. It was halted, raised so the top was uppermost, and the lid was knocked off.

A man was led from the crowd, one of the visiting wagoneers who had no interest in the results of this picking. He was told of his duties, accepted them and accepted the blindfold being placed over his eyes.

He was led to the barrel, he plunged his arm in, stirred the contents before selecting one of the wooden tokens and held it out for the Steward to take from his fingers.

These actions were repeated three times before the blindfold was removed.

“I thank you most deeply, Goodman Malachy, and the Town does too. Townsfolk all, I beg you applaud our picker!”

The applause was strong but we could all detect an undercurrent of impatience.

The Captain's voice rang out again, before Goodman Malachy had even been swallowed up in the waiting throng: “And, to waste no further time, and in no particular order, the winners of this picking are ...”

He paused slightly and grinned at the calls of “Get on with it, man!” The Captain did not react to the apparent rudeness of the lack of title, accepting it as it was meant, born in frustration and expectation. He grinned slightly, even as he continued: “...firstly, Mistress Terpet ...”

There was a gasp and a scream and a few cheers from one section of the crowd.

“... secondly, Mistress Yanda ...”

Fedren nearly deafened me as his wife's name was announced, since I was standing next to him and Uncle, as well as Papa and the rest of my family. Fedren swept Yanda up into his embrace, and gave her a big kiss in front of everyone around – a kiss which was greeted by loud hoots and cheers of those nearby, myself included.

“... thirdly, Signaller of the Company of Semaphore Operators Ladis ...”

Almost silence followed this announcement, and I puzzled about it until I realised that those men would still be at work, there still being just enough light for signals.

“... and finally, Goodman Holgate.”

The isolated pocket of cheers that followed the final name was drowned by a vast collective groan.

The dray was led down to retrieve the now unrequired barrel, which was loaded onto the dray's back and led away.

I gasped.

That idea I had had sprang into my mind. When the Salon was busy, we could place the plates on a multi-layered set of shelves and wheel THAT in so all plates could be served almost together, rather than the girls having to run to and fro between the kitchen and the Salon.

I turned to Uncle near me and rapidly explained my idea. He promised to make me a multi-layered shelf set on wheels the very next day. We rapidly designed it there and then, having the shelves to sit securely on some sort of platform on wheels. That way it could be kept clean much more easily.

I glowed with pleasure.

And then another thought hit me.

I had been toying with ideas for maybe pulling or dragging the wheel-shelf thingy with ropes, when my mind shot off to the dam slope.

I urgently tugged on Uncle's arm and he broke off what he was saying to Papa and Swayga. Who also paid attention when they saw the excitement on my face.

“Uncle. The dam slope! There is a certain delay in the operation involved over there with detaching and then attaching the ropes, right?”

He nodded.

“Why not have a platform on wheels that is permanently attached to the rope, with another at the other end. Then just wheel the wagons onto this platform thingy, secure them to it, and then the up and down operation can be done so smoothly and much more swiftly.”

 


up
190 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Surprise

This offering is a welcomed surprise for the first of June. Keep 'em coming. Molina should start her studies for becoming a playwright as she seems to have some aptitude in that area.

It seems they are beginning to have an excellent school developing with reading, writing, math and history for subject matter. Geography will come in on its own when the cartographers start producing more accurate maps.

DJ

Ah Felks among the avians?

Michet is finally free.

Such a packed episode! Great job Jules!

It is of course unfortunate that Julina does not get to go to Palarand.

I take it the composition of the party was agreed upon with Penny.

I wonder why Yarling is going actually as he has been there. I would think that somebody who has never been to Palarand should be chosen. I am also surprised Tedenis's family is not represented.

Party composition

Actually, I only asked for one person to be included in the party, and that was after Julia had already worked out a prospective list.

That person was Yarling, because he has to speak to someone who is coming from Vardenale concerning the badlands between that country and Palarand. So the conversation where Garia asked for Yarling instead of Bezan ended up being talked about in this chapter.

There are other consequences in the selections, if you think about it. Julina can't go, since then she wouldn't be able to report on happenings in Blackstone. Of course one of Bleskin's sons is getting married as well. And how do you know that Tedenis's family is not represented?

Penny

Well it was not explicitly mentioned

Tedenis was the eldest son of the Weavers if I recall correctly. That would leave Holgate and that Semaphore signaler blokes maybe.

Unless there is another relationship I am not aware of. The family may be able to pay there own way of course. These 12 are the only all expenses paid folks. If one can afford it there is no reason why they might not go on their own.

Yarling

Here I thought it was a need for Yarling to present his resources survey report in person.

Now that the rifles are being deployed, an additional reason could be to learn about using explosives for mining.

Oooh, just remembered. Has Garia located a source for mica? It is often used in cosmetics.

Aw, darnit!

I was really hoping Julina would get to go!

Abigail Drew.

Hours

Are they already using that term in Blackstone? I noticed in a number of places where it is being used in both your and possibly Penny's tale in earlier episodes, possibly before even the term hour was really introduced. I will double check.

Bugger

did I forget my usual last check for 'hour'?
S B B B and F

A hah

thank you

One usage in #39, and two in #45.

Or at least there WERE!

Spot check in SEE

Noticed in SEE70 that Brydas was announcing using hour or hours for the trial.

There may be more of course based on a quick text search through my reading copies :)

Also SEE99

Gilbanar speaks of 'waking hours'.

Penny has cleaned up the use of hours in Books 1 to 3 of SEE as it does not appear in later versions (I have older versions also.)

Book 6 makes use off hours but since the term is being introduced at the palace it is up to you guys to determine if the adaptation of the term makes sense by the particular speaker. It takes time to adapt to new units of measure as we all know.

There are several ...

... references to hours in SEE, some where Garia is speaking 'Earth' tongues, so they are 'legitimate'.
Another few where the concept of hours and minutes is introduced.
And some where they shouldn't be.

Penny and I discussed this a while ago, maybe as much as a year, and, if memory serves, she said she would finish the story first, and then go back and do all these little tweaks. There is a non-trivial little rewrite required in the first few chapters (to bring in an extra overnight for the convoy that picked up Garia) because between us and Di, when she was querying distances for her maps, we sort of changed the day's travel distances - this is probably my fault for not understanding what Penny said in the first instance. However, we have kept it consistent since, so that one early journey needs a tweak.

Then we intend to go through all six stories to tidy it all up and confirm continuity.

Okies, RL is calling

Toodle

J

Museums

Funny thing is, now is the time to establish museums while items that will soon go away are still plentiful. Palarand's world is changing rapidly and certain present tech items may very well just vanish so now is the time to preserve them.

We need....

Aine Sabine's picture

A basic Calendar in the Anmarian Appendices. Please!

Aine

Timeline and/or calendar

There is a basic working timeline here.

It is an edition of a working copy we passed backwards and forwards, always being out of date, but probably contains enough info for general use.

Eventually I ended up using some remote web resources I already owned and created a website here but, I regret, it isn't finished enough to open to readers. That website does contain an up-to-date timeline and other background info that is used by the writers, as well as up-to-date copies of all the stories (but no more up to date than BC is!).

Eventually it will be opened up to enquiring readers.

Building that website took time and effort I would rather have spent writing tales but without it we would have more trouble keeping everything in step.

As for a calendar, the basic idea is straightforward: the year has 391 days and every month has 31 days. (There are occasional leap days to account for the fact that years and months are not whole days.) The last month of the year can overrun into the beginning of the next year; ie months are not cut short. This ensures that every woman's Call of Kalikan begins on the same day every month.

Penny

I guess...

Aine Sabine's picture

I'm meaning more the months of the year. We have to take the inference of the writing around the mention to figure out when it would be. Here March is the third month October is the tenth month. Sometimes like in this chapter it was difficult to figure out which was which.

Aine

Months in the Sirrel Valley

I am surprised that that information isn't publicly available somewhere.

Part of that may be because, since the months are slightly "moveable", I tend to use daynumber within year when calculating dates.

Anyhow, here you go:

01 Marash
02 Femurin
03 Hirf
04 Pertelin
05 Keruvil
06 Lemilat
07 Choth
08 Worduman
09 Ozmelat
10 Avilat
11 Bretherin
12 Zuberak
13 Endormin

As noted previously, since months can spill over into the next year, the start day of each month can shift such that month 13, Endormin, sometimes doesn't happen.

Some bizarrenesses can happen: in an overflow case, the month is considered to belong to the previous year, while days after MidWinter's Night are considered to belong to the next year; and it is possible for a year to begin and end with a month with the same name! Well, why not? It is a crazy as Earth's Leap Year reckoning.

Penny

Typical

I looked, I really did. I thought I saw it somewhere but blow me if I could find it again!

Anyhow, you have the list now.

Penny

Argh, somehow...

Aine Sabine's picture

My eye slipped fight over that one word. Apologies are tendered! Thanks for the info!

Aine