Testing Times - Chapter 9 "Another Sutherland"

Printer-friendly version
Testing Times - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Nine

 

"Another Sutherland?"

 
Monday 20th April (Continued)

Richard Smart arrived just after Chief Inspector Iain Davison but was signalled by Elsie to say nothing.

"Now, as Miss Smart is no doubt aware, I have been very busy and this has distracted me from the theatre." Tammy nodded, the senior Police Officer continued.

"We've been aware of corruption in my area, the Caithness Division, but it has been difficult to pin down. Information from our computer systems has been leaked and, like today, and impersonators have seen members of the public in order to solicit information or cash.

"The methods and personnel have varied but we were given information recently that tied at least one officer to a Russian gang, it did not however answer all of the questions." He paused.

"The lady we arrested outside is a very experienced con artist who specialises in gaining information on her targets, selling this information on, we have been looking for evidence against her for a while. Plainly someone saw an opportunity after yesterday's events in the middle of town."

A glass of water had been delivered to Iain, from which he now sipped.

"What has been a challenge was to know who she would impersonate next, and where she would be. Given that Caithness includes Thurso, Wick and eight villages in an area of over seven hundred square miles (1800+ km²), tracking an individual can be a challenge. It's clear that someone in our force supplied details of the Victim Support visit to this lady whilst ensuring the real officer would be unavailable." He took another sip.

"She was on the phone when your gamekeeper apprehended her and we have that phone. Our police station is currently on lock-down, plus we are locating all officers and support staff in order to check for personal mobile phones. We will find our mole."

The officer took another sip of water.

"We have not yet formally identified the lady who was arrested here and she is not helping us. We'll transport her to Inverness for questioning and a helicopter has been requested."

"Chief Inspector, we have a helicopter pad behind this house."

"Thank you Mrs McPherson but our pilot will probably land on your driveway, close to the detainee."

"Iain, is there a connection to Mr Wright and his brother?"

"We're working on that Tammy, but of course they would both be Mr Wright, not just your former teacher."

"So you can't add anything?"

"Sorry, that's the way justice works."

Tammy's phone rang, she walked into the conservatory to answer as she could see Dave Brown's number, apologising to everyone.

"Hello Dave, it turns out she's an impersonator."

"That's what I've been told but there's scant information available."

"She's being taken by chopper to Inverness Police Station, Thurso is on lock-down due to a mole hunt."

"What's your source?"

"Chief Inspector Davison."

"Is he nearby?"

"Sure, I'll get him."

Tammy walked back, mindful that Jill was still sat in the room, everyone else was family or security cleared.

"Iain, Dave Brown would like a word. He's known personally to us and is connected to another government department." This was a code term for the security services, which Iain recognised.

"Is that secure?"

"Yes, I suggest you use the conservatory."

Tammy sat down and turned to her father. "I guess you want to know what happened?"

"Yes, as much detail as possible please."

This required Joan and Angela to explain the call they had from the police arranging for the Victim Support visit at three, and how they would be at the McPherson house from mid-morning. They had received a follow-up call from someone else, claiming to be at the police station, bringing the meeting forward to 1.30 and supplying the registration of the car. Richard had gone to a meeting at the school and Leanne was in town with the dry cleaning when Joan and Angela went to Elsie's, ensuring Thomas was given the registration number. At Elsie's suggestion Joan had also called Jill because Angela had a panic attack during the night and again after Tammy had left for school.

Iain Brown returned during this, handing the phone back to Tammy. He now stood patiently waiting for an opportunity to speak. Jill picked up the story.

"Joan asked me to see Angela as a matter of urgency, we hadn't managed to talk very much when the woman arrived and launched herself at Angela. I don't think she was expecting to find anyone other than Angela and Joan, it's my guess she would have got Angela on her own."

Joan put her hand to her mouth when she realised what could have happened.

Jill continued, "I still don't know what happened yesterday beyond a brief description of an attempted abduction so I didn't see the relevance of that woman's questioning, I'm sorry Angela."

"Thank you."

Tammy was surprised, in her experience medical folk didn't apologise.

"My apologies, ladies and Mr Smart, but I now need to return to the station to continue the investigation. I will however require a statement from each of you and an officer will be here shortly to take them. Please remain where you are until that's done."

Chief Inspector Iain Brown stood and replaced his hat before leaving. Richard now spoke.

"Everyone, I had just returned home when I was called, there is a message on the ansafone that I haven't played yet."

"That might be the real victim support officer saying they would be late?"

"Indeed Tammy."

Thomas must have known they were going to be in the drawing room for a while as tea and coffee arrived for those there. Jill needed to leave but all she could do was make a call to the hospital explaining she was cancelling that afternoon's appointment. It was only a minute later when two officers arrived, one was the same CID officer who had interviewed Tammy the day before, the other was Ben Franklin.

"Here we are again, Tammy."

"It's not my fault, Ben, you have a mole in the station!"

"And my chief inspector's blood pressure will go even higher than it is now.

Thomas very quickly ascertain the officers' drinks requirement, Ben waited until the butler left the room.

"Just to let you know, I've been made up to Detective Sergeant, and for those that don't know him this is DC Suterlind."

Richard immediately probed.

"That's very close to Sutherland? Are you related to the pharmacy family?"

"No Sir, although I am a member of the Clan Sutherland. I transferred from Dundee last week so I don't know the pharmacy, however there is someone from that family at the station."

"Ben, a Sutherland in the police station?"

"I can't discuss staffing matters, Tammy."

"If it's Julianne Sutherland then she was a friend of Yvonne Stewart."

"It's not Julianne. Now, can we start? Angela and Mrs Small first,"

The statements took nearly two hours to complete, even Richard was told he would have to do one."

"Why?"

"Because you were called here and we need to check that ansafone the Chief mentioned to me."

"Okay, I'll run you over. Anyone else?"

Tammy drove Angela in one of the golf carts whilst Joan went with Richard. Jill went home having failed to achieve any counselling as Angela was now too tired.

Dinner wasn't far off but the two girls went to their rooms for a kip, both emotionally drained.

 
Tuesday 21st April

Neither Tammy nor Angela were due in school before Friday morning so that gave them plenty of free time. Tammy, however, was still grounded.

"Mum, how long am I grounded for? I am eighteen not eleven!"

"You created a mess from something that was an annoyance."

"They would have tried something else if Angela simply blocked them once we knew it was a fake account."

"How could you know that?"

"My guess is that Mr Wright wanted to disrupt our revision or even our exams, that would have a horrible knock-on effect."

Joan couldn't argue with that point.

"Even so, you should have brought the police in earlier."

"But at the time it could have been one of the boys at St Andrews having a lark, they wouldn't have acted on that basis."

"Okay, I'll concede that one, but the grounding stays until tomorrow night."

"So I get my car keys back on Thursday?"

"Yes. I'll have to go, Tammy, I need to head into work."

Tammy shrugged and returned to her room having won a small victory, originally she was grounded until Sunday, only allowed out to go to school or when chaperoned. She could at least go into town on Thursday.

The previous day had been the deadline for the assistant welfare officer's job at St Andrews School, what Tammy didn't know was how many had applied? It would be a prestigious role for an eighteen to twenty year old, opening up career opportunities. This was why Tanya had been advised, or persuaded, to apply. She had certainly impressed the Head on her initial visit.

Tammy had tried to find out, through her mum, about other applicants but Joan hadn't been one to give out confidential information. John had similarly wanted to know but had been rebutted.

Tammy tried to get some business studies revision done, concentrating on why businesses failed. When she checked on Angela mid-morning, she was laying on her bed, albeit dressed, her schoolwork untouched on her desk.

"Hey sis, when's your first exam?"

"Don't care, won't do them."

"We've been through this, Angela."

"That was before ...... "

"I reckon that was the whole point of why Mr Wright did this, so you're letting him win?"

"So what?"

"Look, I'm sorry for asking you to do that on Sunday, but we didn't know, couldn't have known, that it would turn out like that."

"It's alright for you."

"How?"

"You get this secret training."

"Huh? Writing reports, reading reports, writing more reports and taking photos."

"Self defence?"

"Maybe, why don't we see if there's a local class we can do?"

"Why?"

"So you'll know how to protect yourself, as well as getting your confidence. You might even get fitter?"

"I'll be pleased when Dad builds the pool and the mini gym."

"Work starts next week, shall I have a look for a class?"

"Whatever."

Tammy walked back to her room. She might have asked Joan, or her father, to speak to Angela but both were out. Tammy had also been told not to call anyone unless it was an emergency, social media was also not to be used. In legal terms, Tammy did not have to accept any of this, she was an adult in the eyes of the law. She was also, in many ways, reckless and wasn't thinking things through, although she was good at analysing failure.

By lunchtime she was fed up revising why businesses didn't succeed so went to check on the lunch situation. In the fridge were two plates of sandwiches and boxes of fruit juice. She put these on a tray, added some bananas and two glasses of water before walking up the stairs.

"Angela, open the door?"

No answer.

"Angela?"

"Let yourself in."

"I can't, I have both hands full. Open the door please."

There was a soft thud followed by footsteps across the floor before the door was opened.

"Thanks, where do you want your lunch?"

"I'm not hungry."

"Tough, you need to eat, at least have the banana."

"Okay, put it on my desk, I'll make space."

Tammy had now achieved something, Angela was off her bed and taking interest in something instead of feeling sorry for herself. Tammy retreated to her room to eat, that way she wouldn't be seen to pressure her sister.

Tammy picked up her tablet but ignored all the notifications related to facebook. She searched for self-defence classes in Thurso, finding KSD Martial Arts. There was a class on a Tuesday night at a local scouts hall, she used the enquiry form to check if there was space for the two girls.

With her lunch finished, Tammy waited a while longer before going to collect Angela's plate. She was surprised to find her sister coming towards her.

"I thought I'd bring my empties to you."

"I was just coming to collect."

"I had a think and figured you were right, if I gave in then they would have won. I'll take the tray down."

"Thanks Angela, there's a class tonight if you're interested?"

"How would we get down there? You're grounded so you couldn't go anyway."

"I'll think of something."

Tammy sent Tanya a text, remembering that she'd taken self defence classes before they did West Side Story in December; it had saved Tanya from serious injury after being pulled off the stage by George Small.

Tanya came back a minute later:

Heard you're grounded, know the feeling :-( Did a class at the scout hall on Tuesdays, was okay
 
Thanks Tanya, looking at going there tonight with Angela.
 
If you do, let me know, I could do with some exercise. I'll check with John

Tammy went to her English set book, 'One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich' by Solzhenitsyn to re-acquaint herself with the story of life in a gulag. At 144 pages the Penguin paperback did not take long to finish, Tammy reclined on her bed whilst reading and must have dozed after she put the book down.

"Wake up Tammy!"

"Er, what? Oh, hi Dad."

"Angela tells me there's a self-defence class tonight that she wants to go to."

"Really?"

"Yes, mum and I have a meeting at the school so we can't take her, can you?"

"If I can have my car keys back?"

"Catch!"

Tammy smiled, Richard had assumed it was Angela's idea.

***

After dinner Tammy pulled out of Dunbankin but headed first to the school to collect John. This was a request from Tanya but Tammy didn't mind. With their passenger Tammy drove to the scout hall, arriving just before eight. They met Tanya outside.

"Put him down!"

"Clear orf!"

"Tanya, it's not as if you haven't seen him."

"That was two days ago!"

"Hey we're here for the self-defence class, not the class on oral gymnastics!"

Tanya finally desisted, allowing the four to enter the scouts hall. They approached the Chief Instructor, Vance.

"Hello, we've come for self defence if there's room for us?"

"How old are you?"

"We're all eighteen."

"Okay, so I won't need parental permission slips." He recognised Tanya. "Welcome back, but why did you leave?"

"I met my future husband."

"I see. You'll all need to complete registration forms. The first few lessons are free but you can make a donation if you wish."

They sorted out the paperwork and paid their donation. Vance explained they could use their gym kit this time but were expected to get a suitable suit for next time.

"Our training is a form of Ju Jitsu so you'll need a white Ju Jitsu suit for next week. Where's your's Tanya?"

"It was too small for me."

"Okay, let me explain our principles."

***

The four climbed into Tammy's car a little after nine.

"My legs hurt!"

"Never mind that Angela, my everything hurts! What about you Tammy?"

"I did a load of running in Cornwall and used the gym at a place I stayed in."

"In other words, you're not out of shape?"

"Not too bad, but there's always room for improvement. Are you going back to the school John?"

"I've permission to be out tonight, can you drop us at Sandy's?"

"Sure, but you didn't have an overnight bag?"

"I left some bits there from my last stay."

Tammy finally arrived home at nine thirty. This time Angela did help with the gates so Tammy's car could drive around to the paddock behind the house. Richard's car was there so the gate onto the road was shut and locked for the night. After a quick security check Tammy went inside and took herself to bed, exhausted.

up
397 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well they have had at least one day with no theatrics

Angela seems to be growing up a bit and gaining some more confidence. Love how Tammy maneuvered her way into getting her car back. Just hope she learned a lesson from this incident. She has to learn to use better judgement. Once she gets fully trained she will be very good at that kind of work. Good stuff as always.

Well they have had at least one day with no theatrics

Angela seems to be growing up a bit and gaining some more confidence. Love how Tammy maneuvered her way into getting her car back. Just hope she learned a lesson from this incident. She has to learn to use better judgement. Once she gets fully trained she will be very good at that kind of work. Good stuff as always.

Angela really, really needs

Angela really, really needs more than just Jill regarding counseling, this girl has some serious issues and they are not just related to her being TG.
Her entire self-esteem "center" has been pretty much 'killed" and I believe it stems from her father and how he treated her and her mother.
Tammy is attempting to help in her own way, but she is not qualified to go much more that she does with it.
Jill and Angela's Mum both need to step up and get completely involved with her on this matter.

I totally agree,

and my opinion of Jill is none too high. Angela needs more help than friends can give.

I have to wonder at Tammy's grounding. Their family really does need some body guards on call.

Green eyed monster

Jamie Lee's picture

Tammy this, Tammy that, is all Angela is hearing and seeing. And she's jealous of being left out. Of being not as good at school as Tammy or others. How could anyone not recognize what George Small, and he was a small person, was doing to Tim before Angela.

Degrading Tim in class, keeping him isolated all the time, making decisions for him, comparing Tim to others has almost completely undermined Angela's ability to believe in herself. She is on the verge of completely giving up, and needs daily mentoring from a counselor who specializes in her type of need. Jill is okay but not qualified to be a mentor. Tammy is very concerned, tries what she can, but has her hands in too many pies to help on a daily basis. Angela needs to be set up with a job that's run by the counselor and starts from scratch in building up Angela's self worth and self confidence. And she needs left out of Tammy's schemes.

Tammy has been grilled by Dave, Heather and Sophie about security and giving away information. Yet she pumps Joan for information about candidates for the new position at school. Tammy does not have a need to know but for some reason feels she does.

Angela is showing signs of being able to stand up for herself when she told Richard about the self defense class she wanted to attend. She also shows not all decision making had been stomped out of Tim before Angela came.

Others have feelings too.