When tales come true Chapter 03

Printer-friendly version


When tales come true

Chapter 3

Rings

I woke early feeling pretty good. I was on my way to breakfast when it hit me. I Had never got my ring back from Jenny. I needed to go to the Great Hall today without my ring that would be hard. I turned around to my room. I had a chance there if Jenny will not give me my ring back.

In a small box hidden in my desk is a ring I made. It was made to replace the rose crest ring if it ever got lost. This ring I could not wear openly as Eric so I kept it hidden. The ring I made was a rose quarts cameo set in silver. It was my best work and took me a month to make. The enchantment was very close to the one on the rose crest ring. Hopefully it would get me to the Great Hall without a problem. I hope I could catch Jenny today so I would not have to try it.

Jenny was not at breakfast so I headed to the classroom where her dress was. Thank the goddess she was there , that is till I turned the corner. With her was Tina, Jessie and Tara. Not good, I could not use the mirror with them there let alone get my ring back. I sighed and strode in to see how the hen party was going.

I glanced at Jenny's hand and there was the ring. At least I knew she had it with her. Jenny caught site of me and said "Here comes the entertainment. Girls welcome our tall tale teller." I blushed when they all cheered. What was Jenny up to? At that moment I got a idea of how to get my ring back. I palmed the cameo and bowed to Jenny taking her hand. I launched into one of her favorite tales while I discreetly switched the rings. As the girls clapped at the end of the story Tara said "Not bad I like the part where you switched rings with her the best!" Dang it, she has sharp eyes. Jenny looked at the ring on her finger and frowned.

Just then the mirror fogged over and Darla stepped through. Well this will be hard to explain! The portal closed behind her. The girls were in shock, all but Jenny and me that is. Darla stepped up to me and said "I have come to fetch you Ember the Queen has summoned you. She caught site of the ring on Jenny's finger and took her hand. "This is enchanted where did you get it?" she asked Jenny. Pointing at me she replied "Ember just gave it to me so I would give back her rose crest ring." Darla examined the cameo again then shook her head. I knew I was going to catch heck over this. "We need to go, since these girls are here they will have to come along. Jenny open the portal." Darla commanded.

Jenny looked at me and I just smiled at her. She stepped up to the mirror as I told the girls to hold hands and follow me. I was praying that the ring would work as we lined up. "Don't stop walking till I do." I instructed as I took Tina's hand. Jenny looked back and I nodded. Jenny made the movements and said the words. For a second nothing then the portal opened. I let out the breath I didn't realize I was holding in relief. I can create portal rings that was BIG news! Jenny half turned and took my hand then walked through the portal.

We walked into the mirror room. We kept walking till Darla, last in line, came trough the portal. Since the girls were moving and holding both hands no one fell. Tina, Jessie and Tara all had huge eyes looking around. They were going to get another shock right now. I let go of the hands I was holding and let the change flow into my Ember form. Now it was a true hen party.

The girls big eyes got even bigger as I changed. I smiled at them then turned to Darla
for instructions. She looked me over and nodded. She waved us to follow walking into a antechamber. The room was filled with dresses and other garments. Darla looked over Jenny and pointed to a rack that had her size on it. She did the same for the other girls. There was a changing room in the back for the shy ones. After seeing Jenny change right there the others shrugged and changed where they were.

Once everyone was properly dressed. Darla asked me to touch the pendant I wore and touch the place on the dresses where the crest would go. When I did there was a shimmering and the Sword and the Rose crest transferred to the dresses. This was a new thing to me. It meant that I was responsible for all four girls. In essence I had just made them part of my family.

Darla led us out of the room into the Great Hall proper. The girls were watching me and copying what I did manners wise. Just what I needed four little sisters to look after when I was summoned by the Queen. I hope my manners were up to it. The Great Hall of Crystalis was a marvel of stone and crystal. A Great Hall right out of a medieval Dream. I looked at none of it, I concentrated on Darla in front of me and the girls behind me. So I did not relies that we had arrived till Darla stopped and curtseyed. When she moved aside I curtseyed to the Queen then motioned the girls to stay with Darla wile I moved forward to speak to the Queen.

The Queen was a truly lovely Lady. I had only spoke to her once when I achieved the rank of Crystal Mage. She nodded to me I curtseyed again and waited for her to speak. "You are the Crystal Mage that lives away part of the time?" I nodded "Yes your Majesty, I am." She looked me up and down. "I need you to do a job for me. The Princess wants to see other lands. I wish you to look after her for a bit." She snapped her fingers and the Princess walked out of the back. Princess Alita Angelica Del La Skyflower was wearing a school uniform from the same school the girls and I went to. The Princess did not look happy. This should be fun... Not! "My Daughter will be an normal schoolgirl for a year. You will see that she is just that! Do you understand?" I stood tall and replied "Yes your Majesty I will do as you command." The Queen smiled "You may go."

Well now besides four normal girls I have a Princess to look after! What will be next? What will this do to my two lives? This whole thing is giving me a pain I will let you guess where! We all curtseyed to the Queen then headed out. I stopped Darla a bit down the hall on the way to the mirror room. "I need to stop at my work room for a moment you and the others go on. I will meet you at the dress room. Please don't let anyone get changed before I get there." With that I started off in another direction.

I went quickly down the hallways till I came to the mage workroom block. My room was towards the center of the block. I slipped the lock spell and entered. I knew what I wanted so quickly gathered all I needed. I did not think I was going to be back here soon so took several projects to work on. I grabbed all my silver and crystal stores to make more rings. I grabbed my enchantment bag last and put it all in a backpack that was enchanted to hold much more without the poundage. After resetting the lock spell I hurried to the others.

I got to the room where the others were and heard a argument going on. I opened the door and the girls were having it out with the Princess. I sighed and entered. Darla was sitting reading a book out of the way of the commotion. She looked at me and mouthed "Your job." Dang it this was not starting out well. I stepped between them and held up my hands with lightning sparking between my fingers. That shut them up. "We don't have time for this! Jenny you and the girls be nice! Princess you are a normal schoolgirl so chill out!" Well in for a penny! "We are going to be together for a year so cut the fighting, for now at least. We need to get changed and back through the portal before lunch." I could see the girls were reluctant to give up their new dresses. I smiled "I have presents for everyone." I doled out bracelets to the girls all five of them. "These are enchanted to hold three outfits so you don't have to give up the dresses you were given. I hope you like them they were hard to make. Took me a week each to make." Darla got up and handed me some forms and said "Take these to the office when you get back. They will finish Angel's transfer to the school." I nodded to Darla and she walked off. I instructed the girls on how to use the trinkets I gave them. Once they were changed we headed for the mirror room.

I pointed to the mirror for Jenny to open the portal. She seemed to like it so I let her do it. Just before we passed through the portal I changed back to Eric form. The Princess was looking my way and her eyes went wide. Jenny went through the portal first and I was last in line.

When we all were in the classroom Jenny turned to me and said "Welcome back Eric, What do we do now?" I smiled "You four should stay here for a bit and talk over what you have seen. Try to not let anyone hear your talk. After Angel and I get her paperwork in order we will be back to discus what we need to do next." I turned to the Princess "Angel you ready?" She scowled at me "Who are you?" I sighed " In your world I am Ember Del La Silver the Crystal Mage on this side of the mirror I am Eric Vine a storyteller and student here at this school. I am the person your Mother ordered to look after you! So that's who I am. Get yourself together and lets go!" She was still scowling but she nodded.

The walk to the office was a long and trying one. It did not take long to get her papers in order and a room assigned. I was not surprised to find it to be Jenny's room. Angel had luggage waiting so as soon as she got her room they were sent there. Angel and I left the office and headed for the classroom for a talk I was not looking forward to.

I had to look after Angel but here I was male so could interact with her only at certain times. I think that's why Darla pulled in the girls. I will have to work through them to do my job. Not the way I would like to do it but on this side of the mirror those were the rules.


To be Continued
Another short and sweet chapter. I beg for comments please.

up
242 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

longer chapters

you keep saying these are short chapters, does that mean that someday there will be longer ones. btw great story.

nomad

tales part 3

great story so far, any chance they could be longer, I love a really good long read when it is a chapter story

The next chapters should be

The next chapters should be interesting finding out what the argument was about and who started it and what the princess is really like, not to mention how he is going to handle four girls to try to keep them from spreading the secret around.
I don't know if the trip was the princesses idea or if the queen sent her there because the princess thinks everyone is beneath her, and the queen sent her there to learn a lesson.
she didn't seem real pleased to be going despite the queen saying she wanted to go.
(impatiently waiting on more) thanks

Contradictions

Tas's picture

It seems there are a lot of contradictions between what people are saying and what they're doing. The mages want to keep their existence a secret, yet it seems they purposefully brought in people they hadn't fully checked out. The queen says the princess wants to go see other worlds, yet it seems that's the last thing Angel wants to do.

I'm surprised the other girls aren't having a very difficult time with this, but I'm going to chalk that up to shock for now unless all of them are fiction enthusiasts that are open to this sort of thing.

Looking forward to more :)

-Tas

New tales

Excellent story. Each chapter makes it more interesting

Karen

Still Going Good

Daphne Xu's picture

I like it. Except for one of the very last sentences in this part, I get the impression that Eric is a boy attending a girls boarding school, since no other boys are mentioned (that I remember). I'm inclined to agree that with four earth girls knowing about Angel and Eric, things aren't going to be kept a secret at the school much longer. Except that nobody will believe them.

Maybe a teacher is already familiar with the Other Side of the mirror. She might be able to help with things.

-- Daphne Xu

Instant family

I'm not sure from Eric's perspective that herding cats might be easier than coordinating with 5 teen girls including a princess.