When tales come true Chapter 02

Printer-friendly version


When tales come true

Chapter 2

Family

Since Jenny Knew most of my secrets I decided to tell her the rest of them. That would start with the joke that I call a family. It all started four years ago when I was ten. I was sent to live with my grandmother for the summer. My Grandmother made it plain that she did not think much of my father at all. She did give me a chance to prove myself in her eyes during that summer. I was a small boy but really tried hard even when I failed.

One day she gave me a ornate box and told me to open it. The only thing is I could not use my hands. After several moments of thinking a strange thought came to me. I don't know why but I went with the idea. With a composed look on my face I directed all my will at the box and said "Open please." To my astonishment it did open. Inside resting on a velvet pad was a crystal ring with a rose crest on it. I knew this was the start of something big, how big I did not know at the time. As I picked up the ring my life changed.

As soon as I put on the ring my grandmother's attitude changed towards me. She became very nice and loving. This was new to me my mother was distant most of the time. My father was always working so I did not see much of him. That summer I learned many things from manners to dance. I may be a boy but my female side got a workout that summer. I learned that I could let out my softer side with grandmother.

Mid-summer was coming up and the house got really busy. It seemed that the solstice was a big time here. The days were long and filled with cleaning and cooking for the upcoming holiday. Every evening was spent with my grandmother telling me stories and talking of magic. Magic seemed to be a real thing to her and in those talks I started to believe in it.

Two days before the solstice brought a box into my room saying it was what she wanted me to wear for the big day. Because of how she had been treating me I was not surprised to find a dress with all the trimmings when I opened the box. I had always been on the fence between genders most of my life. This was taking a step towards the female side of life. I was not sure I could or wanted to take that step? Grandmother did not speak just watched as I struggled with my thoughts.

The dress, if I would admit, was calling to me. What kept getting in the way was what I thought my parents would think of me if I gave in. I was driving myself crazy with indecision. Finally I said "what the heck" and started to undress to try the clothes on. This seemed to be what my grandmother was waiting for as she stepped up to help. The dress was a flowing lavender summer dress with a scoop neck and a little bow at the hip. It was simple, but quite pretty. Not a bad choice for my first dress. With it was a matching bra and panties, stockings and garter belt and waist-cincher all in blue. There was even a pair of low heels that matched the dress. Grandmother was going all out for this. My hair is longish so it could look girlish when styled right so no problem there. I am short for my age so no problem there. With the waist cincher I would have the right shape again no problem there. All that was left was my face to break the girlish view. These were my thoughts wile I changed. Finally I turned to the mirror. The first thought that popped into my head was "I can't call that person Eric!" When I mentioned this to grandmother she smiled and said "Your right your new name will be Ember Rose Del La Silver!" It was quite a mouthful but after trying it a few times I found I liked it a lot. It was a name to grow into for sure. Now that I was dressed and named I felt like a new person, I just wondered who she was?

After that I was given a intense course in Girl101 for a day and half. I was drilled in all ways to be a girl not just act like one. I acquired a full wardrobe of pretty dresses and everything else a ten year old girl would need to be happy and well dressed. It seemed that grandmother had all I would need was just waiting to see if I would put on that first dress.

I was ready when people started to arrive at ten am on solstice day. I noted that there was only women coming to this party. The fact that I was the only kid there did not pass my notice. Twenty women and me. I spent my time getting drinks and seeing that the ladies were happy. At high noon the eldest called me forward and had me sit in a chair in the center of the room. Four of the ladies stood around me the rest stood along the walls and watched. The four began to circle me. As each came directly in front of me she asked a question. I answered each then they circled again. The chats grandmother had with me each night gave me the answers I needed to keep up with the questions. The questions continued for twenty rounds. Each lady asking twenty questions. Then the eldest made a motion and the four retreated. The knowledge part of the test was over. I felt this was a very important test but I did not know why I was being tested. The Elder then came up to me and held her hand over my heart. This made me feel strange like I was being pushed somehow. I did not like it so clenched my mind and will and pushed back. To my wonder the Elder slid back a few inches. The pushing on my mind got stronger so I pushed back with all I had. The Elder slid back five feet. The Elder smiled and I knew I had passed the test. I was too spent to care though I passed out slipping to the floor.

I woke in my own bed. I was not sure how long it was I was out but it was dark outside my window. My head hurt and I was wearing a nightgown instead of my dress. So someone put me to bed. Oh well, at least the testing is over. I turned over and tried to sleep. I had a feeling Things were going to change big time.

(More on the past later now back to Eric/Ember and Jenny.)

Darla said "Since you are here Jenny you will need to be tested." She held up her hand "But not today, it will take time to gather all the mages. I think you should go back through the mirror till we are ready for your testing. Ember open the portal." At that point I had to do as she ordered. I just hoped no one was at the classroom. Jenny was going to object but I shook my head.

I went through the movements and spoke the words. The Mirror misted over. I took Jenny's hand and stepped through. This time she did not fall so I smiled at her. Looking around I seen no one so quickly changed back to Eric. Jenny's smile dimmed a bit at that. I think she wanted to get to know Ember. It is so strange living two lives. I looked at the clock, it was dinner time. So no time to talk now but I decided that I would tell her everything and see what happens.

We hurried across the campus to the cafeteria as quickly as we could. Living at a boarding school can be a pain sometimes. With my two lives it was interesting to be sure. I knew Jenny had questions but dinner stalled them. We made it just in time so all was good there. We met up with Tina and Jessie as we sat down. I thought Jenny might say something about what happened but she just answered their questions about the dress she was making. Every one overlooked me as usual, thank goodness.

After dinner Jenny said she was going back to work on her dress for a bit. She grabbed my hand and off wee went. As soon as we were in the classroom she turned to me and said "SPILL!" It was so load I thought someone outside would hear. So I told her part of my story. (see above) We did not have time for the whole thing so I told her up to my testing then we parted for the night.

Thinking that night about all the stories I had told her about magic and the Great Hall I was confident that she would pass the knowledge part of the test. That she could open the portal without prompting was a good sign that she would pass the other part easily. At least I hoped so. Having someone else around who was a mage would make things more fun. I fell into sleep with these thoughts swirling around my head.


To be continued!
Another short chapter that I hope you like. Comments always welcome.

up
284 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Can the magic happen

outside of the "mirror world" as well, since our hero(ine) changes only after returning?

Anne Margarete

Intriguing...

As one would expect, some questions were answered; more were presented. We'll have to see what Eric has going for him on this side of the mirror that can compete with Ember's magic on the other side when the time comes.

It doesn't sound as though the opportunity to stay male will be much of an incentive to stay, since Eric described himself as having been "on the fence between genders" for most of his life. (That was at age 10, but doesn't seem to have changed so far.)

Interesting: Eric was tested on this side of the divide, with his grandmother inviting everyone in for the summer solstice, apparently before he even knew the world of Crystalis existed. (And no physical transformation took place then, to our knowledge, though he was renamed and taught to "be" and not merely present himself as a girl.) In contrast, Darla wants to have Jenny tested on her side after getting the mages (the same ones?) together. I suppose that way they don't have to wait until summer.

It doesn't seem that Eric's magical abilities are restricted to Crystalis: his test took place on this side and he qualified, so to speak, for the test by using non-physical means to open the box containing the rose-crested ring. (We've been told that mages on the other side have to be female, but there's no such restriction on this side.)

On the other hand, Crystalis seems to be a more interesting place to him, and it's one where his talents (though it's not clear to us yet what they are) can better be utilized, since magic is part of the mainstream there. Ember's magic in Crystalis may well be stronger than Eric's abilities here. (And since she and Darla apparently reside in something called the Grand Hall on that side, Ember's status over there certainly seems to trump Eric's living standard here.)

Jenny knew what to do with the ring once she grabbed it; we don't know if the knowledge came supernaturally or from Eric's storytelling. I suspect the latter. And at least from the Crystalis side, Ember can open the portal without the ring, and apparently she automatically becomes Eric when returning.

Anyway, it's been fun so far.

Eric

Writing style

Tas's picture

It's very interesting to read a writing style that can fit so much into so few words. Most of the stories I read tend to end up very detailed, the same events that transpired here would have taken triple or more the word count, but I don't find this lacking really. It's kind of a change of pace for me and I'm looking forward to reading more.

To be honest I very much doubt Eric would decide to stay on the earth side of things and male if he was forced to choose, there seems little attachment other than Jenny so far, and maybe a few other friends, but he certainly has no issue being Ember and probably prefers it.

It's apparent that magic can be used on earth and that Eric can transform at will. I'm also going to assume his magic is more powerful as Ember, so will there be a situation that requires him to use those abilities openly on earth, thus revealing himself to others?

Anyway, I'm having a fun time with this, please do continue :)

-Tas

more please

more please

Jenny

Doesn't Jenny still have the ring?


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.