Rules Are Rules: 29. Eden Makes A Splash

Printer-friendly version

"Wow," Eden said. "You made me look beautiful."
It was true. Eden was standing under the window in the third frame. Cory had obviously spent most of his time drawing her. The clothes, the hair, her face, were all exactly as they were that night.
"Earth to Eden," I said. "That's how you look. You *are* beautiful."

Rules Are Rules

29. Eden Makes A Splash

 

copyright © 2006, 2007 Kaleigh Way — All Rights Reserved

 
On Wednesday, Cory Fleet flew across the cafeteria and dropped into a chair at our table. He looked distracted and upset. Then, suddenly realizing what he'd done, he asked, "Oh, hey, can I sit here a sec?"

"You're already here," I replied, smiling. "What's wrong? You don't look very happy."

"I've been censored," he said, "And I'm not even supposed to tell anybody."

"So why are you telling us, then?" Eden asked, sipping her juice.

"You already know about Marcie climbing the walls," he replied. "I made a cartoon about it, and as soon as I handed it in, it was like they were waiting for it! They didn't just tell me that it couldn't go in the paper, they said I couldn't show it to anybody."

He frowned and scrabbled at his backpack as it slipped from his hands and slid to the floor. He was also holding a portfolio, but I noticed he kept a firm grip on it.

"It's supposed to be a public safety issue," I said.

"Yeah," Cory said, eyeing me suspiciously. "That's what they said. How did you know?"

"It's what Mr. Bryant said when he suspended me," I said.

"Oh, right, I forgot. Talk about not fair! You get suspended and I can't use my cartoon!" Cory slumped. I didn't think the two events were really in the same category, but I didn't want to make him feel worse by saying so. Honestly, I was kind of glad that another picture of me wasn't going to appear. Maybe Cory thought he was doing me a favor... more likely, he hadn't taken my feelings about it into consideration at all.

Still, he was obviously very upset, so I kept my thoughts to myself.

Cory's jaw worked spasmodically, and then in a low voice he said, "Do you want to see the cartoon?" We nodded, and after a quick look around the room, he pulled some xeroxed sheets from his portfolio and said, "Don't let anybody see."

I have to say, it was beautifully drawn. It was a six-panel comic in black and white. And yet...

"I don't think my skirt was quite this short," I observed drily.

He grinned sheepishly. "Artistic license."

It showed me climbing the wall like Spiderman, without effort, and when I tossed the backpack down, Cory's friend fell over catching it. Again, he made me look like a super-confident superhero, with hair and skirt rippling in a personal breeze.

Eden was in the picture, too, and the real-life Eden couldn't get over it. "Wow," she cooed to Cory. "You made me look beautiful."

It was true. Eden was standing under the window in the third frame. Cory had obviously spent most of his time drawing her. The clothes, the hair, her face, were all exactly as they were that night.

"Earth to Eden," I said. "That's how you look. You *are* beautiful."

Eden and Cory were both blushing. Carla and I exchanged a look. Cory quickly took the sheets back and tucked them furtively into a folder.

"Aren't you having lunch?" I asked him.

"I'm too upset to eat," he said.

"Hey, how come the cartoon is so big? Did you think they'd let you use a whole page?"

"No," he scoffed. "The original is even bigger. You draw it big, and shoot it small. You get better quality that way."

I didn't know that.

"What really bothers me," he went on, "Is that I spent hours on that cartoon, and now I can't use it."

"Does it really take that long?" Eden asked.

"Yes!" he replied. "First you have to work out the story and the layout, before you sketch it. After that, you draw it in pencil, and then you ink it. Plus, this one had a complicated background, with all those bricks..."

And all the details in Eden's mini-portrait...

"Couldn't you have left the bricks out?"

"If I left the bricks out, how would you climb the building?"

"Wouldn't it save time if you just drew it in ink in the first place?" I asked.

"No, because then you can't correct mistakes. One slip, and you have to start all over, from zero. You can't erase, cause it would smudge, and you can't use white-out, because it will look crappy."

Cory fidgeted and shifted in his chair. He looked over his shoulder at the food line. He jiggled his leg and licked his lips. "Uh, thanks for listening," he said abruptly. "I think I could eat something now. Laters!"

After he was gone, Carla beat me to the punch: "Oooh, Eden, did I see sparks fly? Did you hear music playing? Violins and angels singing?"

Eden turned red, and said, "What do you mean? I don't know what you're talking about."

"You like Cory don't you?" I said. She turned redder by way of response.

Carla observed, "And Cory obvious has the hots for you, girl."

Eden looked down and asked in a careful voice, "Why do you say that?"

"Why do you think he spent so much time drawing you?" I replied. "Everybody else in the cartoon was kinda sketchy, but he took a lot of time with you — it was like a tiny portrait."

"Oh," she said, smiling happily. "I didn't notice."


The Bye, Bye, Birdie dance tryouts were Thursday after school. We were almost the last ones up. I guess they were going in order of class, so as freshmen we were at the end of the line. By the time our turn came, I had it figured out. Anybody with real talent or training would get to be a featured dancer. The rest of us would be a dancing chorus.

I don't know exactly what a dancing chorus would do, or how it was different from the singing chorus, or the people who made up the crowds, but anyway, the dancing chorus was clearly for people who wanted to dance, but couldn't.

Eden started the music, and we ran through the routine. When we finished, there was silence. At first I didn't know what to think. I thought we'd done a good job. Nobody clapped or smiled. The two women running the tryouts whispered to each other for a couple of minutes. I glanced quizzically at Eden, and she shrugged.

Finally, one of the women asked, "Where did you get that routine?"

"Eden made it up," I said.

"And she taught it to you," she said. It wasn't a question, but I nodded in response.

"Have you ever danced before?" she asked me.

"No," I said.

"How long did you two practice?"

"About a week."

She nodded, then turned to Eden. "Listen, I can't make you a featured dancer because you're only a freshman. But how would you feel about helping me teach the actors to dance? I don't think we can count on them knowing one foot from the other, but they all have to dance."

"I'd love to!" she cried.

The woman looked relieved.

"Great!" she said. "I *really* need help with the one-on-one teaching. A number of kids here can dance, but you're the first one who can teach. You'll get a mention in the program for it."

Eden beamed.

"Good," the woman said. "Put your name, address, and phone number on this sheet here. I hope you can make this your only after-school activity until the show." Eden nodded. "And will you be available weekends?"

"Whatever it takes," Eden replied.

Wow! Talk about making a splash.

"And what about Marcie?" Eden asked.

"Who?" the woman asked, puzzled. Eden gestured to me. I waved and smiled.

The woman looked as if she'd utterly forgotten me.

"Oh. She can be in the chorus."

up
204 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

In The Chorus!

And here I thought tryouts were on merret the teacher said know won
elce new ther right from ther left .LOL anouther grate chapter just wish they came soner than once a day.
melissa c

The Garden of Eden…

…and poor Marcie gets left out in the cold. Well, okay she does get in the chorus, but it is such a second best.

Is it going to be a disappointmenet for Marcie, or is it going to be like my Granny constantly told me when little: “When one door closes, another one opens.”

Only Ceilidh* (Kayleigh) can tell us. More please, real soon—pleeeeeeease!

Gabi

* Interesting point: my Firefox spell-checker accepts Ceilidh but doesn't like Kayleigh. Vairy interestink! Something tells me you might be a party girl. LOL

G.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Firefox spell-checker

What use is a firefox spell-checker if you write things like "Vairy interestink" ? Unless perhaps it has a module for "English with a fake German accent" ?

To Kayleigh: don't worry girl: maybe her spell-checker doesn't like you, but I'm sure your readers do!

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

It just struck me as strange, Kimby…

…that it would accept a word in the Gaelic, and yet query what appears to be a perfectly good English-type spelling of a name. I know it's a US English spell-checker because it doesn't like my spellings of colour, favourite, etc. Maybe there's a UK English spell-checker hidden somewhere.

Hugs
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

That's because

cei·lidh /ˈkeɪli/ Pronunciation [key-lee]
–noun Irish, Scot., and Canadian (chiefly Prince Edward Island). a party, gathering, or the like, at which singing and storytelling are the usual forms of entertainment.

As this showed up in dictionary.com it's not surprising that it's in Firefox's spellchecker.

Commentator
Visit my Caption Blog: Dawn's Girly Site

Visit my Amazon Page: D R Jehs

Dictionary

Does not Firefox have a British English dictionary ?

In the cold ?

Absolutely! She has obviously not been given a chance to really show off her stuff, or more likely she just does not have the experience yet. A week is a very short time.

However since she gets to work with one of the dance instructors for this play, there is the thin possibility of her pulling a '42nd Street'. Alternatively she can save somebody from being hit by a stage light of some kind.

We'll know in about a week or two, I think, at the way this sweet little story is evolving. And speaking of evolution, Kaleigh is doing a really good job of starting to pull in a universe ( well High School is like a universe, at least to kids who attend one, ya know ? ) of characters with a fuller life of their own which provides a strong context for Marcie to live in. This is a prerequisite for any strong serial story I think.

Kim

Public Safety my eye!

Corey is right. He got shafted. I hope his cartoon still gets seen somehow.

And "it doesn't matter how talented you are you're only freshmen?" Boy, doesn't that make you want to strive to be the best?

Thanks for sharing.

Marcies feelings

Corey got shafted but he wasnt taking Marcies feelings into consideration. I hope they can come to an agreement.

#28 rules are rules

geting verry hot now wow i still love it please due not change anny thing this is so hot soo verry good ,
god bless you n your
whildchild

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

She is not required to accept the role.

Marcie tried out for a dancing part and was turned down. Just because she was told that she could be in the chorus does not mean that she HAS to accept. If I was Marcie, I would politely say, "Thank you, but I will try some other after school activities." Marcie only tried out for the dance because her friend Eden wanted her to; since Eden will not be in the performance, but behind the scenes, there is no reason for Marcie to go through all the work to be in the chorus when she really would rather not be. Instead, Marcie is now free to do things that she would like to do. It is especially important for Marcie to turn down the chorus role if it is really true that freshmen are not considered for the dance no matter how well they can dance just because they are freshmen.

Kimberly...True

Kimberly:

You wrote --

... some other after school activities....

I have to agree with, you. Maybe Marcie's high school has a few different clubs to join. I know mine does...thou not (yet) a GSA club... a few of us were trying to form it, but some parents were upset at it. We are still going to create it, thou. The Principal said we can, but some parents thinks it is a SIN that some of us are (oh no!) gay.
I am a TG teen -- I like boys. Am I gay, no... not in my mind.

TGSine --958

I agree ...

... Kimberly.

She was really good in hokey without trying to be so thats her talent and so maybe she will become a hokey player on the team.

I to am looking forward for more

hugs

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

upst about teachers comment

I think it stinks that the teacher didn't say anything about how the two danced at all.

Then asked who got the routine together, which obviously means that both of them did very well, since she couldn't tell who the real dancer was, or could tell which one was new at it.

But to tell both of them that they couldn't be doing the dances in the play, that really is a slam. Also not to acknowledge Marcie at all, was another SLAM! Then saying who is she, a third slam. Then having the gaul to ask Eden to help teach dance to the other actors.

Some producer or director, I don't think I would do anything for her. The person is really demeaning. What a B**** if you know what I mean.

I am also surprised Eden didn't say anything about them being a team.

Sorry, I thought it was a slam to Marcie in many ways. If I was her, I would feel hurt. I wouldn't do the chorus, I would tell her stuff it.

I worked with many directors, being very active in the theater department, and I have never run into a director that was so shallow and callus. It was obviously the two put a lot effort forth to learn the dance routines, that should have at least gotten a comment like good job or something.

Oh well it is just a story.

Hugs
Joni

Dance Dance Dance

terrynaut's picture

Hey. Am I missing something? Just because Eden was able to teach Marcie to dance, doesn't mean she can teach all the other actors. I'm thinking Marcie has some innate talent that allowed her to learn so quickly.

I'm hoping at least some of the other actors are hopeless clutzes with two left feet and Eden and Marcie are asked to fill in a couple roles. I can dream, can't I? :)

Thanks for the story. Please keep up the good work.

Hug

- Terry

Why Eden is better-looking and can dance

Just because Marcie is a boy-turned-girl, it doesn't make her the prettiest or the best dancer.

Eden is the most beautiful girl in the class, and has a gift for teaching dance.

Sometimes genetic girls have gifts, too.

Kaleigh, True, however..

Kaleigh:

You wrote...
Just because Marcie is a boy-turned-girl, it doesn't make her the prettiest or the best dancer.

Eden is the most beautiful girl in the class, and has a gift for teaching dance.

Sometimes genetic girls have gifts, too.

True, however some of us genetic boys know how to dance. I was a gymnast and I also took ballet. I like them, and I do play hockey. (I may not the typical non genetic girl you meet, ie not liking sports. I do)
I bet Marcie would be a great dancer!! Oh who know... besides you!!

TGSine --958

Marcie can't dance

She's not a good dancer.

You'll see that she is no good at decorating or choosing colors.

It takes her a long time to learn about clothes and makeup.

What she *is* good at is doing crazy things without thinking.

Great story... :)

She's not a good dancer.

You'll see that she is no good at decorating or choosing colors.

It takes her a long time to learn about clothes and makeup.

What she *is* good at is doing crazy things without thinking.

I wonder if Marcie is a slob. (I know I am) Decorating I'm learning, but clothes shopping is fun. Yes, even though I'm a genetic boy, I love to see pastals and bright colors on me. (Yes, I have a few dresses, but girl jeans, too. swimware, too.)

TGSine --958

As I suspected

I don't think it is a commentary on whether she SHOULD have the ability to dance. It is more of a definition of a person who just happen to have limitations. Limitations can be fun and can be fodder for more comedic collisions. It is however most important that she be able to swim in social situations. *THAT* determines your social quota in High School more than anything ( as well as having the right clothes, bloody spoiled brats ! )

The possibility of her saving somebody from a stage light on the noggin just went up considerably :).

Kim

snerks

Marcie isnt gonna be in the spotlight it seems

DogSig.png