Embracing difference

Printer-friendly version
image_53.jpg

Having just read an article on the breakdown of binary gender roles I looked for metaphors and chose the contrast below. Being of mature years I can't see myself as anything other than a woman and am not sure that I want to as things other than my gender are more important to me.

Being a woman has brought many pleasures but also meant paying a price that I wouldn’t wish on succeeding generations so marvel at the Bach while wondering at its self-pitying loneliness and, as you listen to the Beethoven, celebrate the Joy by all means but don’t miss noticing the fear of loss of identity accompanying that dangerous pride in the tribe - it is after all only words and music.

up
84 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cool!

Very Cool! Loving Hugs Talia

Thank you,

'so,so much for reminding me of my favorite piece of music with the Flash mob from Sabadell ----the look of joy
and wonderment on the faces of the children is so moving.I introduced my four grand daughters to this piece and
their reaction was the same .Beautiful !!!! Love and understanding is such a wonderful gift.

ALISON

We have much in common

Angharad's picture

Apart from your boat being a bit bigger than my bike. Being a woman/female is important because it affects everything I do or think or say. Being an unconventional woman obviously colours that too.

The Ode to Joy is my favourite piece of music the use of the human voice as an instrument is genius. I'd have gone for the Mozart clarinet concerto or his Lachrymosa from his requiem as a remembrance of the sadness or sorrow we sometimes face in becoming who we really are, with perhaps Vaughan-Williams Lark Ascending as we finally fly free. Heard a skylark yesterday while out cycling - wonderful.

Angharad

Introspective

Christina H's picture

Rhona I know where you are coming from and being a woman to me is very important even though I have only been myself for a fraction of the time you have.
Your choice of music is wonderful I love the "Ode to Joy" especially - mind to I like the whole of the 9th as for Bach the Badinerie is a wonderful piece of music.
Like Angharad I love the sound of birdsong when I go for my morning run the sound of the Dawn Chorus is so special.

Love
Christina

Ode to Joy is a wonderful

Ode to Joy is a wonderful piece of music, very uplifting.
The best part of winter here in New England is the Cardinals singing away in the snow.

Kevin