Bikini Beach: Of hopes and dreams, of friendships lost Part 1 of 2

Printer-friendly version


Bikini Beach: Of hopes and dreams, of friendships lost Part 1 of 2

Story by Ib12us

Revised

We all know what had happened to Anya from her story 'The Temptation of Anya' and the outcome of what Oksana's revenge had done to her.

But what of the effects on others who come to the park? What effects could have been caused intentionally or unintentionally? Here is one such story or several. A story of hopes and dreams. Of love and friendships.

As always this author is grateful for the stories created by ElrodW and allowing me to contribute to his world.

This story is copyright by the author. It is protected by licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.



Bikini Beach: Of hopes and dreams, of friendships lost

~o~O~o~

***********Revelations and acceptance*********

 

     Mother and daughter squabbled over the outfits on the computers display, as they browsed online looking through various assortments of dresses befitting a girl of fourteen. Several images showed off a few of the less daring outfits most girls for her age would be willing to wear, given the girls stature, in a too be determined engagement. This still didn't quell the women's desire to engage in fantasy of dressing the girl for the forthcoming occasion.

     "Oh this looks nice Vicky," a woman in her middle ages commented when they came upon a dress for the youngest member of her daughter, Vicky Martin, ensemble of Bridesmaids.

     The dress in question was a little daring thought the young girl who was nearing the cusp of fourteen, as she found herself being submerged deeper into the throngs of femininity much to her chagrin. A tomboy at heart, Melody had long been under the impression she'd be allowed to just go in any sort of dress, once having agreed to the whims of dressing up for her best friends' forthcoming wedding. It was then, Mel found out how evil Vicky could be when she sprang her true intentions upon her. Informing the girl she was to be part of the entourage of brides maids at her side. Not fully understanding Mel soon found herself caught in the trappings of both a mother and daughter partaking in the beginnings of formulating wedding preparations as they both engaged in their search for the proper attire for the young girl.

     Of all of Vicky's chosen, Melody or Mel as she preferred to be called by her friends, was the youngest –thus taking the spot of being a Junior Bridesmaid. It was with Vicky's insistence, much to the bewilderment of her mother, Mel was to be allowed such a trustworthy and privileged honor. Now she found herself part of a trio looking online as teen models posed in various dresses.

     Wearing a strapless sweetheart A-line dress in lavender, the teen models posture was elegant with a slight tilt of her head placed towards them. She looked to be no more than a little older than Mel with the hem just barely above the knees. The ensemble itself was completed with a satin belt laced around her slim waist. The belt buckled neatly in the front as the model gave the viewers a demure smile. Clicking on the image the imaged changed to a different angle of viewing to allow a better view of the front and back. "I think Melody would look very nice in this and I'm sure several of the boys would think so also." Her mother gave the daughter a knowing wink as the two looked over the dress before moving on to several others.

     "Mother stop and she prefers Mel." Vicky said, mildly rebuking the older woman gently as possible. "Mel's not fully comfortable putting her body on display. Although I do think it is nice." Vicky too imagined Mel posing in the dress the pair were admiring.

     Mel peered over their shoulders for a better look, imagined herself wearing the dress, to then give a slight shrug, or perhaps a wince.

     Currently clad in faded jean shorts, they carried a slight roll upwards from where the shorts crested above her knees, showcasing slender legs before climbing upwards to moderate thighs and derriere. Mel's skin displayed a dark rich tan having spent long hours in both the spring and summer days basking in the sun and reflective pool waters. With the current extreme seasonal summer heat, she took favor with a chocolate brown fitted tee which accentuated her youthful figure. She had attempted to cover up the display with a light buttoned plaid shirt with permanent buttoned rolled sleeves only to find her ensemble still drew unwanted interest. Unlike other girls willing to dress more conspicuously for the summer showing off their figures Mel had relegated herself to the wearing of polo shirts and Capri pants which helped to contribute to unsightly perspiration. A part of herself found it to be unappealing. Even as her figure changed she was finding today's girls clothes were taking advantage of it and were now being designed to accentuate their developing figures.

     Like her adoptive mother, Lisa, Mel enjoyed the more athletic doings of where her mother worked part time. Bikini Beach's water activities were keeping her slim and lithe as she enjoyed her days of diving and swimming while there had been a few quick excursions away from the park where the two were accompanied by a close clique of friends who enjoyed hiking. She'd found her mother to be an exceptional outdoors woman ensuring they carried enough provisions as well as emergency gear if the unfortunate happened.

     Together they enjoyed nature's beauty, and as she continued her flirtatious experiment with photography, her mother encouraging her to climb over small rocks or boulders in search of a specific shot as long as it was safe. Then with the help from a friend or mother she found herself scrambling upwards in a tree for a different perspective of their surroundings. Even during these self-excursions she had to admit wearing a light top and shirt gave her relief from the summer's heat and she took to wearing comfortable jeans or shorts depending on how hot or sticky the weather was becoming. Taking another look at the gown, Mel drew her nose into a wrinkle drawing attention to given splotches of freckles dotting a maturing face as she took to adjusting a baseball cap of her favorite team, which further required her to brush part of her dark auburn hair behind one of her ears.

     Vicky readied herself for the usual coming retort of why Mel didn't like it to only see a bit of unease take hold. Mel envisioned herself wearing the formal gown allowing her developing body to show a bit more of her prominent breasts as with the featuring of contours of said dress flowing under them, along her thinning waistline to showcase more of her widening hips. With the proper heels and hairdo Mel found she'd look stunning in the formal wear. Stunning for other boys to look and marvel her as she stood beside her best friend with hands holding the required set of flowers acting so demure as Vicky said her nuptial vows. It didn't escape Mel's attention to have Vicky and her mother take in her expression. The look of a girl's want changing to desire then of mild confusion as they each waited for her response over the dress in question from one of the more well to do companies advertising their bridal apparel.

     "If the front was just a little further up I'm sure she might go for it." Vicky said in a soft angelic voice. She gave a light laugh when Mel only shook her head vehemently at the mere suggestion only to hear an unmistakable sigh. Mel hated to admit how she envisioned herself wearing the off the shoulder dress with its slight revealing neckline. It was the internal conflict Vicky knew Mel struggled within herself as she fought against her likes and dislikes, as well as the image she portrayed to other kids her own age.

     Once the two discussed how a few school girls took offense when Mel vehemently rejected an offer of trying out for a spot on the cheerleading team not caring to deal with the constant appearance of perfection so many of the cheerleaders obsessed over. She didn't care how they reacted when informed she'd rather enjoyed her time playing catch with the boys or spending time underneath the hood of a car tinkering with wires and plugs then to dress all frilly for said boys to gawk at her. Now here she was, in conflict once more, imagining herself dressed up for a very special occasion for a very close friend.

     Vicky took note of the dress as her mother bookmarked the gown in question from the website. Later she'd have a more personal discussion with Mel and Lisa on the possible selections for her upcoming wedding. Together, with a select few, they had planned to commemorate another upcoming if not bittersweet anniversary. Nearly a year had passed since Mel, with the greatest of reluctance, had chosen to stay a girl and although a part of her still ached and longed for over the loss of her boyhood she knew it had been in both her best interest and family.

     Looking through several more pictures, "I like that one," Mel muttered in admittance when they came across a slim looking U-neck dress with its thin over the shoulder straps. With the dress just slightly touching the floor, the front rose none too far above the neckline. Vicky's mother once more bookmarked the picture in question for later. For more than an hour the trio would continue to scroll through the bridal selections, visiting several other sites as they tried to narrow down their choices. Currently mother and daughter viewed it as mere window shopping without the needless hassle of needing to travel from store to store as well as looking over and through racks of dress styles hoping later to still find the dress in question available once both the bride and groom took to formalizing their wedding date. And like her mother, Vicky too seemed to anguish over her forthcoming wedding even if it was still several months away.

     Excusing herself Vicky's mother gave the two a caring hug before leaving to take care of another matter. Vicky's mother had been utterly surprised when her daughter first brought the young girl home. Introducing her, the younger girl seemed shy to her, yet seemed to worship Vicky in some unspoken manner given how her own daughter, a few years earlier, had nearly decimated her own life leaving little doubt in where Vicky's life was heading towards. Both her and her husband feared they would soon be seeking visitation rights or worse the unthinkable. Both had fretted over the outcome only to have some chance miracle, it seemed, and Vicky miraculously took to pulling her life back from the brink of tragedy destiny had deemed inevitable for her. Now here she was befriended to the young tomboy who took to her as a mentor in some wayward ways.

     "Mel, you really don't know how happy your making my mother," in a brisk manner as the two took a needed break from their online shopping, "and me."

     "I really don't mind Vicky." Mel said between sips of her drink. "I can tell when she's kinda teasing me and I really do like some of the dresses." Vicky smiled inwardly. She had been right in her earlier assessment and although Mel wasn't going to admit it too freely Mel was more than willing to compromise for her – to a point.

     "And what do you think of having to dance with the boys?" Vicky inquired as the two conversed.

     Mel struggled with the idea. "Um, I'm not too keen about that. I don't know if I'd like them putting their hands on my butt as we danced."

     "You really should try harder not to read a boys mind," Vicky suggested, once her mother had gone, allowing the two to speak freely of Mel's magic. "I mean not all boys are like that."

     "Now you're sounding like Mom," Mel replied brusquely. "I do try..., it's just sometimes I can't help it, and besides that’s what a lot of boys think about. Interested in what's hidden under a girls dress or how to get a quick look at our breasts."

     "Not all boys are like that Mel." Vicky said, wagging a finger slightly, "Okay a lot of them are." She recalled a time when as Vick, he too tried to garner a quick see of a girl's breast. "But if you had to, and I'm not condoning you should, I'm sure you could 'suggest' gently they don't. I'm sure Lisa wouldn't mind as long as you don't go overboard."

     "Mom's tolerant of when I do use my suggestions," Mel answered candidly, "within reason and she trusts I'll only do it if I have to. But, I'm not sure."

     "Scared you might like it? Still unsure if you're coming to like boys, hmm?"

     Mel refused to take her friends friendly banter only to hear an unspoken I thought so. Mel blushed slightly at having contemplated the very idea. Vicky gave Mel a comforting if not mischievous gaze. Each had been through their own turmoil's of acceptance in living the opposite sex. And while Vicky had been thrust into her gender change at an older age, Mel transitioned from her tween years of a boy into the beginners' age of a teenager girl –with its own set of problems. And unlike Vicky's transformation it was through the magic of Bikini Beaches water, Mel's previous life of a boy named David no longer existed, and yet due to some unknown magical property of Mel's pendant her life had, in some ways imitated Vicky's.

     Vicky's experience of pitfalls with its near catastrophic ending seemed to propel her into helping and mentoring the young girl through the more tumultuous aspects of the change. Each struggled against their own personal demons. Mel's more substantial given how she possessed various forms of magic.

     A turning point in her life had been reached with her graduation from junior high. Now Mel was finding it a little easier at times to open up to them about her inner conflicts. A bond having been reached between her friends and family.

     "They're okay, just so..."

     "Immature?" Vicky offered.

     "Yeah, and annoying. Even Brad gets like that sometimes. It's like when Reba calls him or he's with her, he gets all tongue tied, not sure what to say when he should just be himself. but when he's Bridgett the two are such best friends and they 'talk' about how boys are so… so... infuriating." Mel gave a chuckle, "It's so funny to see how he acts once he changes."

     Vicky chuckled herself with how Mel was able to discern and separate the times her brother changed when he chose to visit Bikini Beach. This was just as true with other people. "Mel, we both know boys think differently than girls and it can take them a little longer to grow up, to mature."

     "I don't know. Bobby doesn't act that way. Sure he's annoying –at times, but both he and Reba get along so well."

     "Well perhaps not all boys are the same, Vicky replied. "Some do mature faster than others, while some never mature at all." She appreciated the idea of how mature her own boyfriend, and soon future husband to be was. Rob was everything she could have ever wanted. Kind, considerate and fun to be with even with his knowing about her past. She considered herself the luckiest girl there ever was.

     "Well let's get you home. It's getting late and I promised Lisa I'd have you home before nine."

     Sliding into the front passenger seat once she tossed her personal carry-on bag in the back, Mel tugged at her shorts then adjusted on her shirt slightly before buckling herself up. The seatbelt nestled itself promptly between her breasts causing them to become more pronounced which reminded Mel how far she was developing, taking on along the lines of a developing C-cup.

     Knowing the ride wouldn't be too long Mel summarized once she settled in, no more than hour or two at most, depending on traffic, Mel let the drone of the car lull her once they hit the highway. Vicky's selection of music filled the car once more as the two made the long trek home and school. This had been one of the few weekends Vicky relinquished to her parents, and this had been one of a few times Mel had been allowed to spend away from home, especially with one she adored.

     Soothed by the rhythmic vibrations of the car, Mel's mind drifted back to when she and her mom had finished one of their so called meetings with Vicky, Holly and Keith. She didn't like to call them sessions as they felt more like get-togethers where nothing really seemed to be discussed. Friends talking to friends wanting to know how she was adjusting along with their concerns of how she was handling the rigors of high school, teachers and fellow classmates.

     Now it seemed she was changing in new ways. Ways she hadn't expected. Like how she'd hear a classmate's intimate thoughts or concerns while they listened to a teacher drone on about some dull subject. Or when she did concentrate, she heard how a boy was scheming in his attempt at trying to score with some other girl, to have bragging rights once the girl relinquished a quick feel. Hearing some girl gush over a boy who looked so dreamy to her when his eyes turned her way or be infatuated with some other physical aspect. At first it frightened her then drove her crazy when a voice first popped into her head so suddenly.

     Once, she heard the unbidden thoughts of her mother when she had passed a hard English test. A subject both knew she struggled with. Mel felt anger, then embarrassment, when she'd misconstrued the thought she might have cheated with her magic. It was a mid-term exam and Mel had studied her ass off. Possessing total recall didn't mean she wasn't infallible. Her mother quickly squash the idea knowing how Mel had pursued each subject relentlessly; giving up much of her free time to actually progress into the ninth grade. It had been a self-setting goal she had placed on herself and now a part of her wanted to continue. Finish high school before the others, unsure just yet of her own career path she planned to pursue if she did decide and a new conflict arose within as she also wanted to stay with kids her age and her friends.

     She had caught portions of what her friends and family were really thinking. Their idea of her going through the stages of grief and how they were trying to help ease the acceptance part, not fully understanding how complicated, tumultuous, her previous life had really been. She had wanted nothing more than to put it all behind her, only to find her past refused to stay buried and forgotten, demanding her attention.

     Her mind drifted further thanks to the steady hum of the engine with the rhythmic beat of the wheels. Transporting her back to when the world seemed to ease its weight from her shoulders.

*************

     Mel threw her backpack into her closet for what seemed to be the last time. Well the last time she'd need it before the start of summer vacation. Gleefully she crushed a piece of paper to her chest, then grew embarrassed she would give in to such a girly thing, only to chide herself because that’s who she was; a girl, now an forever.

     Hopping onto her bed she relooked at her course selections she had elected and the announcement it proclaimed at the bottom. Lying there she thrust the paper high in her hand, giddy as she gave a whooping YES! Allowing her cheerfulness to return. She had figured it out earlier, when she, along with the other seventh graders, had to select their next set of core classes for the fall semester. When the teacher handed her the worksheet nonchalantly, hers appeared different from those of her fellow classmates.

     None of the classes resembled the selections the other kids were discussing as she looked over hers. It was then she realized she'd be skipping eight grade altogether thanks to her hard work. Her homeroom teacher had held back his pleasure to only give her a curt nod before returning back to whatever he was doing. He had been quite pleased with himself given how Mel had a way of knowing when she'd passed a test before the results were shown. Without thinking Mel retrieved her phone just before it rang. Her intuition becoming more fine-tuned as she continued to eye the sheet of paper before her.

     "What classes are you taking Mel?" A girlish voice squealed without preamble from Mel's phone. Mel pulled the phone away as best friend, Reba, nearly shattered an ear from her excitement – or so it felt like. She wished her intuition would have warned her better when her friend did that. Mel guessed Reba knew today was the day they'd receive their next set of classes and eagerly awaited to find out if she'd be joining her and their friends in ninth grade. The only one, well two perhaps, who would be disappointed would be Reba's brother Bobby and that was because he was younger; a nuisance to her at times, bombarding her with questions about her magic abilities as with a few concerning her past. Still she liked him even if he didn't know when to quit with the pestering.

     Bobby discovered the various ways Mel would retaliate when he exceeded her tolerance of pestering, finding himself doing some outlandish stunt meant to embarrass him or if she decided to be more forgiving, quash his asking by simply telling him to shut up if only for a limited time.

     The other would have to be her own brother who would be entering eight grade. It might have been an opportunity for him to be in one of the same classes as her which saddened her; needing live separately from him, a guarded secret known only by a select few.

     Mel had once used her own magic ability to force the owner of Bikini Beach's granddaughter Anya to change her past once more. Now thanks to Anya's magic all those around knew her to be an orphan, adopted by her now mother, Lisa Covington and that’s the way she was going to keep it. There were times still which upset her knowing it was she who had caused their separation, believing it best given how she didn't care much for her real mother. A deep rooted animosity given from when she'd once been a boy.

     "Well I'm signed up for English and History." Mel tried to hold off on telling more only her excitement couldn't be contained. "For high school." Her own voice squealed when she revealed it to her best friend. She'd be with her best friends, Reba, Sheila and Greg. She knew, just knew what Reba was hoping for and she was to. "But I also signed up for Pre-calc."

     "You trying to be brainy or something there Mel? Wait, what about your electives?"

     "Have to if I want to take automotive engineering. I'm also taking gym."

     "You're asking for trouble you know."

     "What do you mean? I like engineering."

     "No, dummy. Gym. Your moms a teacher and coach. Do you know how much teasing Bobby and I get because Daddy's a counselor at the high school? Some kids think I'll get favoritism because of it. But it's worse because Daddy will be able to talk to my teachers, see me in classes. Not intentionally, and just like me, Lisa will be able to check up on you I think."

     "I didn't think of that."

     "Did you have to go talk to the teacher for automotive class? I heard several kids like Johnny Spencer and Polly Mckinsfield were scheduled to be interviewed because so many kids signed up for it."

     "Oh gawd no. I didn't know that." Then she saw it next to her elective. TBD. Doubt crept into her mind as she wondered if she'd be accepted. She hadn't heard about needing to talk to the teacher. What if he didn't accept girls? She of course could just make him. Quickly she squashed that thought.

     "Well, I do want to learn more about cars and motorcycles."

     "Well from what you've been doing to that broken mini bike at our house I'm sure you'll fit in."

     "Thanks to your dad." Mel replied with some bitterness. "Mom said I could have it only to hear the super say I couldn't disassemble it here once he found out. I miss living in a house with a real yard at times."

     "Yeah, but Bobby likes it so he can spend a lot of time with you. Tossing baseballs or running." She heard the snicker on the other end.

     "Don't start Reba."

     "You like him don't you?" Reba insisted.

     "What!? Shut up. He's eleven and your brother or sister or whatever." Mel halfheartedly screamed.

     "Admit it you like him," Reba teased, followed by the sounds of kissing on the other end, then laughter.

     "Oh my god he's there isn't he? You set us up."

     "Yeah," Reba laughed, "you should see him, he's as red as a tomato." Reba's voice quickly faded away, "Get away from me, you jerk." The words became muffled as brother and sister scuffled. "Get away from me."

     "Serves you right." Mel laughed, she just knew Reba's brother was tormenting her for making them the bunt of her joke. Changing the subject. "So did you get your drama? You wanna be some ditzy star?" The banter grew playful as the girls displayed a friendly, yet non hurtful teasing so many kids seemed to go through.

     "Like Oh My God." Reba replied letting her voice take on the raspy tone of some airheaded valley girl. "I was, like, going to like, throw up in such a fit if I couldn't take it." Reba replied as both girls started to giggle at the lame imitation from an old movie. Both girls settled down to discussing which classes they might share then just talked for several minutes, updating the other on their summer plans as well as getting together.

     "MCTTD," Mel said when she heard the sound of a door opening then close. She detected the woman moving to her doorway to stand next to it gazing down at her.

     "We still on for this afternoon?" Reba inquired.

     "Yeah, tell Bobby he better be warmed up. I'm gonna make him run after those balls this time." Mel heard the sound of kissing once more followed by laughter before the phone disconnected.

     Jumping off her bed, sheet in hand, Mel hopped in front of the woman who stood several inches taller than her, with a smile on her face.

     "MCTTD?" Lisa inquired as she waited outside Mel's room.

     "Mom coming through the door." Mel replied. Lisa shook her head as she gave a cursory glance to the paper Mel thrust at her. Mel's eyes grew suspicious as she had expected her mother to be more excited only to see a disinterest in her news. Mel wondered why she was so subdued then her own astonishment at how her mother had managed to hide the information from her.

     "How long?"

     "Oh just a few days." Lisa replied with an impish grin. "Now about that automotive class."

     "Wait, you can't read minds Mom."

     "No, but I can get an e-mail from the automotive teacher, Mr. Graves. He scheduled a meeting with you as soon as possible."

     "Friday. Two o'clock." Mel finished before her mother could.

     The revelation didn't surprise her, in fact she had come to expect it as Mel grew. "Do you know how hard it's becoming to hide things from you?" Lisa joked as she headed to her room to change. "Sometimes I wonder how the Kent family managed to keep their son in line."

     "I'm not your son, I'm your daughter," Mel yelled slightly offended at the accusation as Lisa changed, causing Lisa to laugh softly.

     "Which brings up my next question." She waited a moment –a habit she was forming, before continuing when Mel didn't immediately respond. "Have you decided what to buy Bobby for his birthday?"

     "Boy or girl?" Mel asked as she too had done a quick change out of her own school attire, slipping into more comfortable jeans and shirt. She casually tossed a baseball none too high as she waited in the living room.

     "Boy and you know it. He's wanting to have a regular party this year with no changes."

     "Ah Mom, I know the perfect gift for Bobbie." Mel chirruped. "She'll love it. It's all frilly, has lots of pretty flowers and its yellow, her favorite color."

     "Mel!" Lisa's voice rose in stature, drawing out her name, giving the girl a firm look.

     "Okay," Mel said, not ready to relent. "Can I buy two then?"

     "What?"

     With a mischievous grin, "Yeah, give one to him and one for her."

     "Stop it."

     "But, he's weird." Mel complained none too harshly. "For a boy he's weird, spending a lot of his weekends as a girl. Why doesn't he just stay one?" Lisa not knowing how to answer remained silent. From her mother's reaction, Mel knew her mother really didn't know the why either.

     "Let's just hurry." Lisa said, closing the matter as they headed to leave. "We'll have a chance to shop later after he plays."

     "Well at least he doesn't throw like a girl." Mel quipped as they headed out. Lisa just shook her head. Lisa had the feeling she would end up acquisitioning to Mel for the dual gifts.

*************

     Seated behind a tall metal work bench, the stool provided little comfort for the group of students who had gathered in attendance. Mel shifted in her seat uncomfortably as she, and several other would be students waited on Mr. Graves took attendance in a small binder placed before him. Occasionally he would stop and look at the students before returning to his folder. She had the impression he was sizing up possible students as he continued his notations.

     Mel had given an inner swallow when she tried to casually walk into the room. From those seated, when she first entered, she judged she would be the only girl in attendance which in turn gave her the willies. Dressed in her usual attire of light blue jeans and a turquoise shirt with white bar stripes, a few of the upper buttons were loose, yet non to reveling. Bits of self-doubt crept in as they waited. She wondered if she was up to the task. To possibly be the only girl in a class full of boys. Even with her mother's encouragement she felt shy and intimidated by their stature, standing, out of place amongst them. Old misgivings came to her as she sized them up. What would David have looked like now? Would even he have fitted in?

     Boys' eyes had followed her once she entered, to take her seat amongst them. With nearly a year passed she found it hard to ignore their unwanted stares. Conflicts arose when a few gave a smirk when she caught them eyeing the front of her shirt. It always seemed to be the first thing they noticed about her when she passed by. Her breasts followed next by her butt and hips when she walked passed to her seat. She couldn't help to carry a more feminine sway when she walked. She tried to act casual as she searched for an open seat.

     "What's diving girl doing here?" Mel caught the name, Nash, as she walked by. She tried to control her ability like Anya had taught her.

     Great, they know who I am. She admonished herself. How could they not given how there were posters plastered of her diving. Advertisements for swim lessons and diving at Bikini Beach.

     "Don't know. My sis says she's hot shit." With an appreciative eye for a fourteen year old, it almost appeared like a leer. "She's right. She is hot." Mel face flushed, knowing that wasn't what his sister meant. Eying him over, his body had started to change from one of adolescence youth like so many other boys his age. She could see where arm muscles grew more mass, taking on more bulk, firming up as they developed a more muscular tone as well as a face showing the beginning signs of upper lip hair.

     Nudging his friend, Nash gave him a telltale look. "She's eyeing you bro."

     Oh my gawd. Mel cheeks reddened slightly before turning her eyes away. It wasn't his comment which drew the blush. It had been the feminine images which now covered the two boy's faces in a ghostly manner before disappearing. They don't even know and Mel tried to suppress a laugh as she continued to eye other potential students in the classroom. She had gotten used to seeing several boys images overlap with those of girls, a common occurrence for her when she was over at Bikini Beach. She could even tell which ones could recall they had been changed. But to have a girl's image on a boy was still something new to her. To know who had ever been to Bikini Beach when she caught those fleeting images. And these two were the type who didn't even remember the changes.

     Not really needing to make further eye contact she could tell from her keen sense of observation, other boy's eyes were gazing over her, assessing her body as she made herself comfortable as far from them as possible. She resisted the urge to try and sense what each one was thinking not wanting to hear private thoughts of how they'd like to kiss or fondle her breasts. Boys! Is that what they always want to do? Part of her liked the unwanted attention, yet the boy part that dwelled inside quailed at the idea of how she liked it. Other than herself there didn't appear to be any other girls. She did catch a few thoughts wondering why a girl like her would want to be in class full of boys.

     A few tried to impress her as she gave, what she'd hope, was just a friendly smile before scanning the rest of the room.

     On the table, waiting for her was a sheet of paper faced down, a pencil placed next to it. A few times she'd been tempted to glance at the other side only to stop herself. This had been reinforced when two boys attempted to turn theirs over only to be unceremoniously reprimanded by Mr. Graves.

     Hearing a cough everyone grew quiet. With a slight frown, Mr. Graves motioned his hand to his head, a direct indication for all those wearing headgear to remove them. She, with a few others, removed theirs. Mel gave a small shake as she set the cap down to her front. Everyone's attention reverted once more to the teacher as he pushed himself up from his seat causing the stool to screech slightly as it moved away.

     "As many of you may be aware and those that are not, I am the one who selects those that may attend my classes. Now for some of you this might not seem fair." Mel thought for sure he was singling her out as he seemed to be looking directly at her.

     Waving his hand to an enclosed office room all eyes moved to where several trophies stood prominent before them on the other side. "Fair or not those trophies speak for themselves. I didn't earn them. Other students, your peers before you had. I only helped prepare them for the task. Many times had we lost and many times had we won. But only by those students zeal to succeed did they earn those trophies. I am nothing more than the caretaker of them." His chest seemed to swell with pride as he spoke.

     "Now you may be asking what this has to do with you being here. Simple. I expect the best." Once more Mel caught the wayward glance as he looked at her. "You see, not many continue this course after the first two years. Oh you'll not be removed from my class except in accordance with the schools directive. Many just don't return due to various reasons. Academics; grades not sufficient to continue; or they may have decided this field wasn't in their best interest. Engineering is a demanding course. Not just in this class but in many other fields. Math, science and in some cases chemistry. Your continuation will be dependent upon your grades."

     "In here, you are not only expected to keep your grades up, you need to know the rudimentary workings of how and why a certain engine works. You have to know the 'gist' of it. Why the engineers designed it that way specifically."

     Mel listened attentively to him as he droned on about his expectations. "Before you is a sheet of paper. Now I want you to all follow those instructions to the letter and when finished return them to me." Mr. Graves indicated a metal box with 'in' printed on the side before returning to his seat. "Beginning now." Doing so Mel flipped her paper over and started to read. Listed in numerical order were a series of instructions she was expected to follow.

     Several minutes later Mel looked up from her spot as students worked feverishly to comply with the strange instructions. A few approached the desk asking for the use of his scissors while others folded their papers in intricate patterns before stapling them in place. A few students, like Mel, remained glued to their seats eyeing each other as they watched their fellow students move from place to place.

     Slowly, Mel stood up from her place to approach Mr. Graves after she simply printed her name on the paper before turning it in. Like her, the three others placed their own before him, face down before returning to their own seats. Not once did Mr. Graves seemed bothered by their actions, so intent it seemed, on reading his book or answering another would be student's question.

     Before any other student could submit or finish their work, Mr. Graves once more rose from his desk coughing to gain their attention. "Go ahead and stop what you're doing." Students looked at him then each other perplexed as they had not finished their assignment. "One of the things I expect from my students know, is the assignment given to them. To understand the material they are learning as well as to follow directions. Look around this room." Several twisted around to have a better view of where he was indicating. "As you can see from the various types of equipment, failure to follow directions can effectively maim or worse, kill you. In here I am law. I do not allow horseplay or disobedience. I assure you I am not here to embarrass you."

     Turning over one of the four papers he'd received in his bin he seemed to select one at random, - rather it seemed he did before he cast his eye on Mel. "Melody Covington, tell me what was the first thing you were instructed to do."

     Uneasy at being selected, all eyes were cast on her as she replied, "It said to read the instructions first before proceeding to do any of the other directions." Mel replied not daring to meet any of the other students gaze.

     "Read the instructions first then follow them." Mr. Graves reiterated. "Go on."

     Ill at ease she had the suspicion he was singling her out as other boys watched her, "The last instruction, it uh, it said to ignore the rest of the directions, sign our name and then turn it in to you." Those still with their papers in hand quickly moved to the last bit confirming what she and the other three boys knew, growing embarrassed as they relooked at their papers.

     "Very good. I expect my students to 'read' and follow directions. Now, let's talk. Oh, and for those who haven't turned in their papers just toss them." He carried the others with him to his small office as several students took him literally a few laughing at their display. "It never fails," Mr. Graves mumbled to himself, shaking his head as if in irritation. Without turning, "Now pick them up and put them in the trash like I asked."

     Mel entered the room when her name was called wondering what to expect. Each student before her had left the classroom to wait in the hall once finished, not discussing what each had been asked or answered as they were dismissed.

     "Have a seat Melody." Mr. Graves indicated the seat before him. She was started he knew who she was. But then she 'was' the only girl in the classroom.

     "Your mother has spoken highly of you. Managing to advance two grades from a dreary life at an orphanage. Don't be so shocked." Mr. Graves said when Mel gave him a wide eye stare. "Teachers do have a tendency to talk with one another and your mothers been here for several years."

     Several minutes and questions later Mel rose from the interview, finished. She didn't feel comfortable once the interview concluded. He started off asking simple questions about her knowledge of engines. How she fumbled, uneasy at being alone with him in a room when asked about driveshafts, engine dimensions and output. Did she have any experience with them as well as knowing the different types of engines: two stroke, four and six cylinders?

     He had been pleasant, courteous, given her unease, still something nibbled at her mind when she was dismissed. Turning, in a soft voice Mel queried. "You don't want me in your class, do you?"

     "Excuse me?"

     "Those questions you asked. They were for more advanced kids. Basic engine strokes: Intake, compression, combustion and exhaust. Ignition timing. What's a crankshaft vs a camshaft and what's dead top center," Mel stated.

     "This class is for beginners. A course where we learn the basic operations of an engine. It's because I'm a girl you don't want me, seeing me as a distraction to other boys who are going to be in your class."

     "Miss Covington are you accusing me of being discriminatory based on your gender?" His voice took on a neutral, formal tone, devoid of emotion at being accused by someone so young.

     "It's just you're only talking to me because its school policy you have to." Deep inside, a dim voice seemed to come alive. He isn't going to select you, it goaded. You, a girl now, thinking you can act boyish. A girl taking a boys class. The voice seemed to mock her. He won't take you. You have magic, 'You' can make him do it.

     "You don't have many girls in your classes. Thinking I'll flirt with the others to do my work because I'm a girl. You think that’s all we want to do. All I'm going to do. I want to work on becoming a mechanic. To take engineering because it intrigues me." From within the voice grew stronger, taunting her, pushing its way through a deep void, growing louder, insistent, as it bubbled forth upward, stronger. He's a sexist and you’re not a boy anymore. A girl having to grow up in man's world. He's a bigot against them. Make him. It's what you want, what you need. The words became intoxicating, compelling as she waited for his response.

     Mel's world seemed to grow small around her as she confronted the teacher. Deep within, anger resurfaced as she developed a resentment towards her gender. If I was still a boy, he wouldn't be asking me these questions. Hidden scars returned of a woman who had given in to another man's desires. Her one-time captor, Nathan, gave voice to the substance; her fear as she listened to it. Just tell him, make him, he can't resist. No one can. She felt a coldness reach forth, wanting to take hold as it enclosed around her, encasing her as each held a staring contest with the other, their eyes locked. Was it her imagination or did he just shiver at the accusations she made? "How many girls have you ever allowed Mr. Graves? One, two? Only because you had to." _Tell_ him, compel him to select you, that’s what you want. It whispered, caressing her seductively with its voice.

     Time seemed to slip away as her temptation grew stronger, more compelling with its reasoning's. Ready to give in, Mel found herself revisiting a scene within Bikini Beach. A ghostly vision of the main office. Lisa appeared before her dressed in her red bathing uniform followed by Liz and Anya behind her work desk. The memory played out before her. Fear and alarm, Mel could see it on them when she demanded the three to bend to her will. To have them disregard an earlier incident of wanting to willfully harm a girl for spite. Mel knew the scene all too well. Words came to her in earnest, commanding, compelling, allowing her anger to overwhelm and control her. She _wanted_ to force them to do her bidding. She heard the song play, a lullaby Grandmother said, followed by a thunderous headache, her intervention preventing the harming of the three.

     Snapping out of her desire, Mel balked as the scene played out, an imaginary headache touching her once more. She forced herself to look away, breaking eye contact from Mr. Graves.

     "Are you finished with your accusations Miss Covington?"

     Shamed at what she had almost done, Mel drove the voice away, pushing it deep within. Readying herself to leave. "Yes sir."

     Unsure of what had taken place Mr. Graves pointed as if compelled. "Then sit."

     Silently Mel retook her place.

     "Yes I select very few girls. It's hard as a teacher. And it's just like you said. Some girls do come to my class to just socialize. And they fail the course miserable." Mr. Graves explained 'unsure' why he needed to justify his reasoning to this girl.

     "Mom said it wasn't easy."

     "Then you understand my dilemma. I try not to discriminate. I'm not perfect. I want what's best for my students as hard as it seems. I can't afford to allow students to treat this area as a social gathering." Mel thought of how well the room was kept. Bays free of grease, lines clearly marked in red with white lettering indicating a machines danger zones. Equipment marked as hazardous "What happens outside the classroom is one thing, but to have it disrupt my classroom can be dangerous."

     Mel recalled the dangers Jenny faced along with Natty and how they took safety precautions when dismantling equipment. "Normally I wait on letting students know but since you accused me of seeming to single you out. You're correct. Most of the questions were tougher than most. In fact you answered them more thoroughly than most –kids," he refrained himself from mentioning her gender, "your age."

     "I have selected several girls for my class. A few even manage to complete the full four years. As for you -" He paused as she fought the urge to stand up and leave. To tell her she was not good enough in his assessment. "You're bright, smart and intelligent for someone your age." Still she waited. "And driven it seems."

     Mel struggled with the voice within; wanting to be released and take hold of her inner conflict of using magic. "If you examine those trophies on display, none bear the name of a girl on them. Those who stayed made a career of it in their field. Yet not one had ever made it into any of the competitions such as the Ford/AAA finals. I'm hard, but I like to think I'm fair. If you decide to place your career is in this field and continue to pursue it once you graduate ninth grade, perhaps you'll be one to break that streak."

     "Sir?" Mel felt confused, excited. Did he just say?

          "I'll be forwarding a list of items I expect 'all' my students to have when class begins in the fall, as well as a code of conduct. A copy signed by both the student and parent."

     "Now if you would be so kind as to have Mr. Renaldo enter," effectively dismissing her, "I would request you wait out in the hall like the others. Tell no one of our discussion." Mr. Graves effectively dismissed the young girl. "Or my decision."

     "And Miss Covington." Mel looked at him quizzically when he favored her with a slight smile. "Don't prove me wrong in my assessment."

     Mel tried to contain her elation as she exited out the room. Boys looked at her, a few half expected her to be unceremoniously dismissed as she went up to one, a tall dark skinned boy with jet black hair before she exited the class room. Outside in the hall, a few more had given her a dismissive glance only to stare when Mel gave a fist pump barely controlling her glee. A content smile on her face, she waited with the lot of them, letting them wonder what she knew.

     Mel considered her fate, standing aloof from the others, finding the idea of having to live her life as a girl, her life, really wasn't looking bad.

*************

     Dishes twilled around merrily with each other as they spun around like spinning tops, skipping their way from one end of the table to the other, hopping between dancing spoons and forks. Anya gave a few more twirls of her fingers having forks perform and intricate display of bowing from side to side to each other before they skipped around the table.

     Next to Anya, Mel watched studiously in how Anya moved her fingers, memorizing the intricate pattern of her fingers while Bobbie and Reba watched in fascination nearby, dazzled by the show being put on before them. Intentionally Mel imitated the pattern several times as she eyed their movements. She had to pay close attention to the pronunciations of the words Anya uttered before she tried to put the two together.

     Anya gave a curt smile of encouragement, "A little less on the oooh sound and more on the fluctuation of the vowels Anya said when Mel tried to pronounce the foreign dialect.

     Once satisfied Mel turned her attention away from the display of dancing dishes to cast her eyes on a lone candle placed before her. "Just follow the incantation Mel. Think about what you're trying to do. Let me hear you utter the enchant first."

     Mel repeated the words verbatim as Anya had taught her. With Anya's approval she waited.

     "Why's it so hard say them? Can't you just cast a spell to where I can just say them easily?"

     "Patience my young Padawan." Anya teased as she made reference to one of her favorite universes. "You're learning a new idiom or tongue. These spells have been handed down over centuries and we just can't make up our own verbiage." Anya replied patiently.

     "Those movies sucked." Mel stated. "I mean I like the older ones, but the newer ones are stupid. Especially that Jar Jar. He's more annoying than Bobby." Bobby gave Mel a panged look.

     "Don't try and change the subject Mel, now concentrate." Having to reprove the girl, Anya waited.

     "I don't understand why I'm doing this." Mel muttered under her breath. "I'm not some wizard like you or Grandmother. I think it's stupid."

     Grudgingly Mel complied as directed when Anya gave her a stern look of warning. Staring at the candle, concentrating from within, Mel moved her fingers while uttering the words as the others waited patiently, Bobby and Reba anxious.

     With an 'I told you so' look when nothing occurred Mel repeated the enchant once more when Anya returned her gaze with a look of dissatisfaction. Repeating the words over and over, Reba and Bobby watched when oh so slowly the candle took to wobbling ever so slightly then stop. Moments passed as tiny beads of perspiration appeared on Mel's brow when the candle once more took to perform its own dance from where it sat. Drops of sweat created a liquid path down from the side of Mel's cheek as she stared intently at the candle. The candle continued its mantra of slowly rocking before elevating from its pedestal ever so slightly. Hanging precariously in mid-air, neither Bobby nor Reba seemed to breathe as the candle continued to float no more than an inch from whence it rose before falling from its invisible perch, rolling itself off onto the floor.

     "Not bad, for a first time, but I though you could have done better." Anya said as she stooped to recover the fallen object. She favored Mel a mild grin when she saw the bug-eyed expression Mel exhibited as she stared from what she knew shouldn't have been possible.

     "That’s not…, I mean I shouldn't…, it's not possible." Mel uttered in defiance at what she herself had done.

     But it seems you did. Anya replied telepathically. Mel tried to absorb the ramifications, refusing to concede the possibility. Now let's try again, placing the candle back in its stand.

     Nearby Bobby whispered to his sister. "Told you she was magical." Only to have his sister poke him in the side.

     "Shhh." Reba said, admonishing her brother. "Anya said we could stay only if we were quiet."

     "And I meant it." Anya replied without turning her attention from Mel. "Mel needs to concentrate heavily on what she's doing and if Bobby begins to annoy her I'll have to ask both of you to leave."

     Once more Mel glared regaining her composure as new forms of perspiration developed from where she had cleaned her forehead. A week prior Anya mentioned of wanting to test her which Mel scoffed at the idea. Anya demonstrated to Mel how to levitate simple items such as the wax candle followed by heavier objects such as lifting a couch into the air. Anya had provided Mel a brief history of her ancestral language with Mel trying to imitate the sounds and dialect. At first Mel thought it was funny to hear the strange dialect, giggling at how Anya pronounce certain vowels, only to see the seriousness in Anya's disposition when she lifted Mel upwards towards the ceiling, gently bring her down. Mel promised to take the lesson more seriously. She just considered it a waste of time.

     Slowly, once more the candle rocked its way upwards, to levitate more than three inches in the air before being lowered unsteady to its resting place. Taking a dishtowel Mel wiped away the wetness from her brow, less evident given when she had first started.

     "Now the fork Mel," Anya requested, not letting Mel rest as she tasked the girl. Nearby Bobby watched in fascination as Mel lifted the fork to an upright position the beginnings of a simple movement. Sweat increased more readily given the complexity of the task of needing to lift command the fork, rotate on its end as it began to twist. Abruptly the fork clattered onto the table failing to perform the required task.

          Frustrated Mel focused more heavily, forcing her will, demanding the fork to dance with Anya's encouragement. Once more the fork slowly lifted itself upright only to topple back onto the table with a clattering effect.

     Bobby gave a snickering laugh, only to quickly duck when an object deflected off some invisible wall before embedding itself in the sheetrock wall above him.

     All four turned to where the fork lay protruding with its prongs embedded inside the wall. "What happened Mel?" Anya asked slightly worried.

     "I… I got mad when he laughed at me." Mel replied frightened. "I felt a cold ickiness inside of me and I wanted to lash out."

     "Never give in to your anger, Mel." Anya cautioned firmly. None gave reference to where the saying was from. "Accidents can happen. Or people hurt." Anya regarded Bobby with an unforgiving gaze causing him to shiver.

     "Sorry."

     "You're lucky I was able to deflect it," Anya said as she gestured towards where the fork lay embedded, causing it to pluck itself out returning to her. Four small holes now gave evidence to the dangers in teaching one magic.

     "I think we've done enough for today." Anya said drawing the lesson to a close. "Next week I want you to be able to at least have it stand and do a little twirl," Anya directed, "and have your mom buy some plastic ware. I think it will safer," she reframed from looking back at Bobby as she picked up the fork cleaning it off. "For all of us."

     Nearby in the grey office building at Bikini Beach, Grandmother examined the charcoal etching before her.

     "Do you think we should tell her?" Lisa asked a little worried as her boss further examined the etching, taking in the intricate patterns that formed around the base.

     "I think we should wait. Deal with her other problems before telling her."

     "Won't she become suspicious with Anya testing her? I mean she's not dumb."

     "No, she not." Grandmother agreed. "I think she's more in a state of denial, not ready to deal with the idea just yet. Let's not burden her with new possibilities. Deal with her more pressing issues first."

     "And if she asks?"

     "Then it's your decision to tell her." Grandmother answered. "I'll ask a few friends, mages and wizards I know and trust." Grandmother gingerly placed the sheet of paper back in the folder taking care not to smug the image.

     "How strong will she be?"

     "I don't know," Grandmother answered truthfully. "Wild magic is very unpredictable in its nature. We'll just have to wait and see."

*************

     Mel smeared lotion on her hands, warming the liquid before rubbing it to her legs and arms as she resumed a ritual of laying out on the mesh hammock to read. Beside her a book rested close by as she stretched out to bask in the morning sun. Within a few hours the sun's rays would send the temperature rising to where she'd want to spend more time in the shade or cooling off in the parks waters. She had found what she considered the perfect location to just lounge around and enjoy the beginnings of her summer vacation in one of the many hammocks strewn around the water park. Once her chores had been completed she texted her mother of her whereabouts having decided to pack a tote and enjoy as much of her free time like any typical girl. Being a lifetime member and living within close proximity of the water park gave Mel a chance to lounge around, reading, along with working on her tan. It was the only place she felt comfortable in letting others see her dressed down as a girl.

     Even with the end of school year, Lisa explained she needed to go to the school for a few more days. It seemed there were reports waiting to be filled, along with the determination on what new equipment would need to be requisition for the upcoming school year. Now Mel found herself alone with a bit of free time to herself. Her mother had assigned her some summer reading much to Mel's consternation. That was till Bobby, of all people, recommended a book he liked to read about. It dealt with the story of a young boy wizard. At first she thought it would be stupid given what she knew about real magic until she found herself engrossed in the boys' hardship he received from his own relatives. It didn't draw so much on the magic then with his making friends as well as a powerful enemy and how they, together, helped one another.

     Finished she sauntered over to the concession booth having a need to replenish her water bottle. The crowds hadn't filtered in just yet. Still considered early morning, most kids took to sleeping in or visiting with friends as was their wont as parents had to go to work.

     Taking to a leisurely stroll along one of the many paths, Mel gave pause momentarily when one of her odd feelings wash over her. Sighing inwardly she resumed her walk to one of the nearest concession stands and waited.

"What'll it be?" Holly asked from behind the counter.

     "A flavored bottle of cherry water, please." With its lackluster of early patrons the two found themselves discussing clothes, Mel more interested in wanting to change her fashion slightly without wanting it deemed to girly.

     "Being a girl is so confusing at times," Mel stated once she quenched her thirst. "It was so much easier when I was a boy."

     Holly leaned forward over the counter a playful smile on her face. "Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated," she said in a joking manner, only to have Mel recoil slightly.

     "Yeah, I guess I am." Mel stated as she ignored the Star Trek reference.

     It wasn't the response Holly had tried to elicit from the girl. "What's wrong?"

     "It's just that when I was visiting with Vicky and her mother, you know, going over fashion ideas for her wedding and all. Well Mrs. Martin started talking about clothes and boys wondering if I might be looking at dating and all. Then she started showing me some of Angela's old dresses and, Ugh. I found I sorta liked some of them." Mel confessed.

     "Mel, it's okay to want to look pretty."

     "I don't want to look pretty." Mel moaned. "I don't want to have boys holding me, wanting to fondle or kiss me."

     "Is that why you were asking me about how I dress."

     "You don't dress fancy like Vicky does all the time. I mean you wear jeans and sneakers and nice shirts."

     "Like a tomboy."

     "Yeah." Mel agreed. "Only. Only."

     "Only I seem to have boys looking me over, checking me out."

     "Yeah, like that guy Chuck. He really likes you and," Mel's eyes became narrow. "You like him don't you. I mean really like him."

     "Mel what did we ask about trying to read our thoughts."

     "I'm not. I don't need to. It's how you're thinking about him. Your eyes taking on a dreamy look as well as a smile across your face when I mentioned him. Just like Vicky does when she's thinking about Rob."

     "Well he is nice. He's very attentive and thoughtful to me. And I have been seeing him a lot. Not that it's really any of your business," Holly said trying to discipline her mildly only to have Mel become more agitated, upset even.

     "That's how Nathan started on my real mom." Mel's eyebrows furrowed, her voice taking a deeper tone; anger crept its way into her words. Her eyes seemed to cast daggers to no one in particular. It was then Holly knew Mel was revisiting her past. Not just any past. Predominantly a single person. A single person Mel reviled immensely.

     "It scares you I'm seeing someone Mel?" Holly asked innocently, in the belief Mel might be jealous only to see and hear the acrimonious change overtaking Mel with the mention of Nathan's name.

     "That's how he started off with Mom. Helping her out, taking her out on dates, coming over unexpectedly, worming his way into our lives. Making her feel special and Brad to."

     "What happened between her and Nathan?" Holly asked more cautiously, directly, hoping not to sound too eager given how Mel could suddenly withdraw when it concerned her past, especially -him.

     It seemed impossible when Mel's voice took on an angrier tone, as she continued to stare off into space. With a more venomous tone, words dripped with acid as she spoke of Nathan and Elaine's relationship. "He told her how pretty she was, how privileged and alive she made him feel when he was with her. That mother fucking lying son of a bitch." Startling Holly with her profanity the last came out like a hiss between pressed lips.

     Passing patrons cast scornful glances their way when they heard Mel's assessment of Nathan. "How he would take Brad on separate outings alone where he could practice playing catch with him. The promise of trying to be like a good friend or father figure to Brad. Tossing the football or taking Mom out alone for dinner."

     "Mel?"

     "He couldn't fool me. He didn't know shit about swimming." Mel continued to ignore and overlooked Holly's voice, wrapped up deeper when suppressed memories trickled to the surface. "Trying to believe he could teach me how to swim only he didn't know shit about it. The glances he gave other woman as he sat there with my mom as I swam. Him wanting to suck up to me as if I couldn't tell. He was only doing it to please Mom. He wanted something then, only Mom didn't know it at the time. He wanted her money, to take everything we owned away from us."

     Grinding her teeth, her face seethed with unbidden hatred she had kept hidden, locked away from all to see. As she talked, her fingers tightened around her water bottle, squeezing the container, allowing water to flow upwards from its top. Fingers crushed inward the thin plastic container. She ignored the water as it poured over her hand, dribbling off the table to the ground below. "How he tried to be my friend. Only I wouldn't let him. He could fool them but he couldn't fool me. That fucking asshole."

     "MEL! The yell came harsh and insistent when Holly reached out towards the girl, drawing her attention. Eyes seemed to flash daggers at Holly, who recoiled from the murderous look. Eyes rapidly changed focus when Mel realized whose face was before her. In a flash her anger dissipated, replaced by the sudden thought of how she had been ready, willing to strike and lash out at a ghostly image. Startled Mel let go of the water bottle when it was Holly who stood before her and not Nathan. She realized she had nearly lost it, ready to succumb to her heart's desire.

     "I'm, I'm sorry Holly. I gotta go." Mel said, quickly departing, leaving the older girl.

     Catching up to the fast paced girl, Holly fell in beside Mel. "Why don't we continue this conversation someplace else? Perhaps outside the park. Hmm?"

     "No! You can't help. You don't understand. You have no idea what it was like."

     Taking hold of the moment Holly persisted. "Mel, please don't shut me out. I want to help." Gently leading the girl by the elbow, Holly persisted, to guide Mel away from concerned regulars towards the staff lounge. With the two alone Mel clutched hold of Holly once inside, afraid of what she had wanted to do. She had nearly given in, ready to hurt someone she liked, cared for, without realizing it.

     Exiting the park Mel kept to herself once the two had grabbed their clothes not bothering to change. Mel's hatred continued to simmer, smoldering deep within at the man who had once ruined her life. Holly remained quiet, caring to give a figurative glance Mel's way as the pair headed to her apartment. This moment wasn't meant for the park, nor even the nearby malt shop given how agitated Mel became visibly upset learning Holly was now dating. This, Holly was sure, could be the underlying nature in Mel's hurt.

     With severe disinclination Mel slowly opened up to Holly, cracking open a guarded wall she kept closed for none to see. At first Holly listened intently, patiently to Mel's account of a few past events only to find herself recoiling in what she heard.

     "Your Mom never heard any of this?" A sickened Holly inquired as she tried to comfort the shaken youth.

     "Scared. Ashamed." Mel confessed. Holly held the girl tight.

     "Don't you think its best we tell her? Have Keith involved?" Holly ventured.

     Mel considered the possibility of just using her ability and have Holly forget their conversation only to flinch at the wanton and callous idea of wanting to use her ability on someone she considered a friend. It had been her precognition earlier when she sauntered over to purchase her water. A choice only she could make. Keep her past hidden as she wanted, or tell others what she never wanted to divulge.

     Nodding silently the two waited for the others to arrive once Holly placed the calls. One call made Mel quiver when placed. "For moral support," Holly said gently when Mel heard the conversation. Vicky was like a big sister to her, and Mel knew it felt in having her there also. Only Mel worried if any would want to be her friends once they heard what she had to say and she wondered if perhaps she shouldn't have made Holly forget.

     "How is she?" A worried Lisa asked once she hurried home looking for Mel to see her standing away not daring to look at any of them.

     "She's scared out of her wits." Holly stated. "Frightened at what she told me. I don't want her to retreat, but I think this is what we've been waiting for."

     Several long minutes passed as Mel brushed off her mother's attempts in wanting to be next to her. Reluctantly Lisa waited next to Holly till Vicky arrived with Keith. Each more concerned from what little information Holly had informed them of.

     Words came out slow, halting as Mel began. "It started…," None dared to disturb her, Lisa the hardest in her desire to go towards her, comfort her, knowing her daughter –needed her yet knowing it was Mel who had pushed her away in not wanting her help. Deep down she knew no matter how much she wanted to help this was something Mel desperately needed to do on her own. "It started…," she tried again facing away from them fingering her pendant over and over again and how it seemed to glimmer in her slender fingers as she unclasped it from her neck, a reflection of how nervous she was in not wanting to divulge more of her past –knowing she had to.

     "It started right after Brad used his pendant and was caught by Nathan. He had caught Brad using it on his friends to do some things. Brad was more trusting of Nathan and he tricked Brad into letting him examine the locket with the promise of giving it back. He actually did return it and then later made arrangements for our disastrous trip.

     "I tried telling Mom. I tried, but she wouldn't listen to me. She was in love with him. I told her of the magic and she wouldn't believe me. She trusted him just like Brad did, only he took the pendant once he locked and tied us up. Him taking and using the pendant on my brother and mother. He'd discarded mine as rubbish not caring about what it could do. I told him it didn't do anything and he didn't have the patience to phantom its true purpose, impatient with the idea he could control others with Brad's in getting what he wanted by some form of magic."

     It seemed Mel couldn't stop herself, her deepest, darkest secret constrained deep within her all this time, as if waiting for some special moment to arrive. A dam ready to burst within having been cracked, ready to spill forth its secrets in her needed desire to tell them about Nathan. Frightened with the idea she would lose everything -them when she divulged what she had lived through. "I was the one responsible for what happened to them. I promised Daddy I'd take care of them. To watch over them." Mel said dishearten at retelling the event, self-blame most evident. "I promised and…and I failed."

     "Maybe Brad had some resistance like me, but if he did, it didn't last long. Nathan worked the pendant on him and my mother. He was fighting it, only he was losing. Then we managed to escape when Nathan thought Brad was under control. Brad freed me but Nathan heard the noise we made and before we could free Mom we both fled promising we'd come back with help. And… and then after Brads –death, he really started. Started in earnest on Mom and me."

     They thought they knew. Knew how Nathan had broken Elaine's will, compelled the poor woman to do his bidding. "It had taken him months to get some form of ability to control Mom. Part of her was breaking down after he broke my leg. Her treatment of me then was just the beginning. That breaking of her will didn't come easy and I watched in horror while my own mother, a loving and caring woman and individual, changed before my eyes to some insufferable, degraded and hateful -thing. I did it to them. To her." Fingers continued their ministration of the pendant, rubbing softly at first to become more forceful. "If I hadn't broken it. Hadn't given a part to Brad, maybe, maybe we'd still be together."

     Her anger wouldn't -couldn't be contained as it intensified once more with her hatred for him. Years of frustration and revulsion locked away deep inside of her, contained by her just waiting for release. A stream of hatred slew forth in a verbiage onslaught of profanity took them all by surprise. Words she used, sounded out of place coming from the mouth of one so young. Her words made them blush when she said them, to see her face redden, twisting with pent up rage, it appeared another person had taken possession of her as the anger took over once more. Lisa was ready to admonish the girl for her language only to have Keith and Holly tell her no as revile and repulsive as it was.

     "He was frustrated with me. He couldn't understand why I never succumbed. So he degraded her."

     "HE DID IT BECAUSE OF ME!" Mel yelled. "He did it because I wouldn't submit. He couldn't break me like he was doing to my brother. Like he did my mother. He killed my brother because of me. He made her a prostitute because he wanted me. I hated him. And it pleased the fuck out of him. He made her service him. Have her suck his dick. His dick in front of me," Mel thumped her chest with her hand. "I was either tied to a chair or placed in a cage forced to watch. Having her to bend over so I could get a better view as he took her from behind."

     Mel didn't see their own shivers, so wrapped up was she in the images overtaking theirs before her. None but she could see what played before her them, stroking the flames that dwelled within.

     "Don't tell me I don't what sex is. I had to watch them do it. I watched him take my own mother in front of me. How he stripped her of her dignity. She wasn't my mother anymore. She was a 'whore', a 'slut' for his asking. You have _no_ idea what it's like to have your own mother talking about sex toys and using them on herself in front of you. _I_don't_ever_want_ to even think about it."

     Mel threw the pendant away, "Forced to remember each and every act because they didn't know about my half. To watch how she learned to perform pole acts from DVD's and videos."

     Tears of hate dribbled down the side of her cheeks. "I had to watch her. Made to watch as my own _MOTHER_ SERVICE_ a bastard of a man. Telling me how one day he'd break me, to become _like_him. How they demanded I pay attention as she sucked his dick while giving me instructions on how to perform fellatio like some lowly whore to her master. She would bow before him before she serviced Nathan when he summoned her. I lost my appetite having to watch them."

     The stories continued as she told them, keep hidden deep inside, ignored by her and none would have expected her to understand them as she retold them. Her rage affronted them with the coarse language she had grew accustomed to hearing for years. Pain and suffering with humiliation at both their hands. Somehow she had held it all in check deep inside of her. "I was glad. GLAD when Nathan sent my mother away. I couldn't stand her. She wasn't my mother anymore. She was a stranger to me. I'm glad, you hear me, glad the magic took me away from her."

     Her body gave sway as sweat and tears dripped from her. Relinquishing its hold long enough for her to see the looks of fear and revulsion as they stood afar from her, stepping away from her. Their worried looks and how deranged she had to appear before them. They didn't come near. Imagination took hold of her in what they thought of her. This is what Nathan wanted. To make her hate people. To use them. To turn it against anyone who came near. To. Be. Just. Like. Him. To think she could suddenly turn it all on them. Mel knew they had a right to be afraid. She could have if she hadn't managed to keep her temper focused on the images. To take her hatred and turn her words on them. She could have if she had wanted to. To unleash her anger, _just_give__in_ like it wanted.

     Mel crumbled to the floor drawing herself tightly into a small ball, weeping incessantly at what she might have even done. Afraid she could have done if she had given in to the desire. The blackness wanted to claim her. She was a terror, a monster waiting to let loose her vengeance on anyone who dared to cross her and she wept with fear. She didn't deserve to have friends or family and her insecurities washed over her, trying to take root as she dwelled down within, to shut them and the world out once more.

     "Help me with her," Lisa demanded, overcoming her own fear and revulsion, to reach down and gently take hold of Mel's arms, lifting the frightened girl off the floor. Carefully Lisa moved to the couch making herself comfortable as they helped Mel.

     "Come on sweetheart, don't shut us out. Everything's going to be fine." The words were ever so gentle and reassuring, soothing by the woman who had taken Mel in unconditionally. Doing what she did best for her. To just be there, and hold her as she pushed aside her own fears and shower Mel with the love she had wanted and missed so badly.

     Why wouldn't they let me be? Don't they see what I am? Together the others drew close to her, showering her with words of comfort. Mel tried to regain her composure once more, to be pulled away from the self-pity before she buried herself deep within. To not let the hatred deep inside control her, like it almost had once before. Letting her body rock with her sobs.

     "Mel", she heard Keith Sinclair say as he stood afar from her. "Why don't we take a break? Meet together some other time."

     She knew what he was fearing. They couldn't hide it from her. Not really. Their thoughts, their emotions. She couldn't help to hear and feel them and it scared her further to admit what was happening to her.

     Mel stood ready to leave, to run away. "I guess I'll go Miss Lisa. You deserve someone better than me." Just like in the past, she was ready to set out to and destroy her life once more.

     Mel sensed a new anger growing in the woman whom she dared to call mother. She didn't feel worthy of her or her love. Any form of their love. "I told you I was broken, damaged. Now you know how bad I really am." She said, ready to make good her promise to leave, have them forget about her as she ran as far as possible away from them, to give up once more on herself.

     Like Mel, Lisa stood, her hands placed tightly by her side. Tenderly Lisa reached out to take hold of Mel's shoulders pulling her close. "Are we back to calling me Miss Lisa? Are you so sure you don't want me as your mother? So frightened I'm going to abandon you for what you've been through? I'm your mother now and forever," Lisa said pulling the frightened girl close to her, "You’re my daughter, and I'm telling you, you will do no such thing, you understand me young lady?"

     No, Mel didn't understand, even with her own hands wrapping themselves around the woman's waist, resting her head against her chest trying to understand why Lisa still wanted her after all she'd been through, tears trickled down her cheeks. "But? You're angry, mad. I can feel it. All of you are."

     "Don't we have a right to be? To hear how abusive and thoughtless he was? Yes I'm angry. But not at you."

     "Mel," Holly said her own voice choked back, "We wanted to know why you were upset that day, each of us concerned about why you didn't want to live, to end it then. WE all had our own suspicions, ideas, but to hear how deeply he'd hurt you, to use your family against you. It's just as terrifying to hear now as it was back then. To hear you wanting to kill him for what he'd done."

     All came closer to pull her close in their own warm embraces. "These are the risks each of us are willing to take to have you talk about him, it's not good for you to hold it in. It can fester inside of you, to grow and eat away at you till one day you couldn't control it. If I had known then what I know now I'm sure I would have done it. But you, you didn't do it."

     "Who was it you said you admired the most? The one you loved because he believed in you to do the right things? Who was it you clung to for help? Turned to to help you through your troubles. You admired him and never gave up on that love."

     "Da.. Daddy," Mel blubbered. "He…he was my salvation. My rock when I needed him."

     With the tip of her fingers, Lisa gently lifted Mel's face by her chin, to look at her directly. "We saw the hatred you had for him Mel, before Anya changed him, but you didn't use your ability as much as you wanted to. You possibly could have forced Grandmother or Anya to take his life, but you held back accepting their form of justice. I can't say what the rest of us would have done, but I’m very proud of you."

     "But I did misuse it. Look at what I did later."

     "Yes, you forced some things that could have been handled differently and we could argue about what you wanted. To save your family, to undo the hurt to Brad. It's all in the eye of the beholder and what they see and believe. I believe you did what you thought was best." Lisa said hugging the girl closer, tighter. "Many may not agree, but I see 'my' girl, my tomboy, who cared more about her family than she cared about herself."

     "I, I know what you're scared of Mr. Sinclair. I don't want to hurt my friends either. I'll stay away from them."

     "And how will I explain to them," Keith said, "why their friend wants them to stay away? Not only would you have to stay away, but so would Lisa and that would hurt them just as much." Mel couldn't help but notice the look the two gave each other. She couldn't help it given her keen skill of observation. It was a strange look, one of guilt and of longing.

     "Yes, I'm scared Mel, scared not just for you but for Lisa. We're going to your depths of feelings, to places none of us are sure to handle. Your outburst reminded me of an old movie about another young girl. A girl who could control fire. Now here we are having to trust you won't vent that anger towards us. You know our fear and you know we can't control you, yet we just can't up and leave you alone. It's normal to have anger and hatred after what's happened and yet you managed to keep it under control. Mel it’s a fear each and every one of us is willing to risk if it means helping you. I'm not your father, but I'm proud, if not amazed at how you've handled it."

     "And what our friendship Mel?" Vicky asked. "You're my Junior Bridesmaid. I haven't seen my mother take such an interest in someone since my sister started dating. The dresses, hairstyles and then there's the reception." Vicky's eyes seemed to glaze over as she thought of her wedding to Rob and how her mother was surprised at her wanting such a young girl, a tomboy, to have such a prestigious role in her wedding. "You Mel have given my mother a challenge."

     "You still want me to be a part of your wedding? My friend even after what you heard? I'm not innocent. I'm corrupted, tainted." A flabbergasted Mel asked.

     "And I'm not?" Vicky asked. "I'm no saint either Mel, you know the bad parts of my life. If you can forgive me of my past, can't I forgive what happened to you? To be there as a friend ready to help?"

     Lisa wasn't too astonished with how far Mel would be willing to endure for her friend, given their friendship. The few dresses she owned still hung in her closet unused since her adoption. Yet there were those times they went out to shop and Mel would comment how pretty one was when they passed by a store, barely above a whisper, afraid of what she had said. Then there was the way she had been acting lately towards boys and girls. Many times she had put up with one of Mel's outbursts about boys only to see her looking in her mirror later, to strike different poses. To hear how girls gossiped about her and then to gossip about them and how it made her feel. It reminded her so much of a time when she had been growing up.

     Taking a much needed break, "Let's set another date and time in the future," Keith suggested. "I need to do some research. To talk to a few people I know. Honestly, this is going well beyond the scope of mine and Holly's skill."

     "I may know of someone I can talk to," Holly volunteered. "I'll see if she'll be willing to meet with us to discuss it. She's attended a few of our Sunday night meetings. She seemed interested in Mel's circumstances after her attendance. She's taking a few of the more advanced classes in psychology which I'm taking. I promise to be discreet as possible."

*************

     Mel relaxed. Summer seemed so short to her and before she knew it school had started once again. It had been a wonderful summer she reflected. Oh she had her moments as she dealt with her periods and moodiness. Friends and family who knew of her troubles, accepted her for who she was. A once boy with a horrendous past.

     Mel had a suspicion on who Holly had talked to. She offered a strange suggestion. Well it seemed so to Mel anyway. Talk about her past in the third person, separate the two. That did make sense to her in an odd sort of way didn't it? She had been David most of her life and was still David –to her, but to the rest of the world she wasn't.

     With more frequent, yet informal meetings she opened up more of how David, had lived. It wasn't easy at first, even after her revelation concerning Nathan. But the more she talked to them, the easier it had become.

     They listened to how David retreated into himself, forced to shelter himself deep within, trying to live off of old memories of his family, unsure of when to emerge else Nathan and Elaine (she couldn't envision the woman as her mother anymore) would begin berating him once more with a stream of accusations and profanity once again. Self-deprecation words Nathan used on him along with the constant demeaning assault used against him for the love of his father. Decimating accusations from his own mother of how he had allowed his brother to be killed, her accusation ending up being the driving force separating the two of them forever. Tormented with the grisly images of seeing his brother's death forming into nightmares.

     With much guilty and shame Mel admitted David nearly died once. He'd began to starve himself, unwittingly, due to the guiltiness, only to have Nathan and his mother force him to eat to prevent his demise, yet continuing to allow him to wallow in his own secretion, starving him of much needed affection. The endless blame and remorse she carried with the death of her brother the first time, then be the one who inadvertently caused his near fatal injury the second.

     Mel had only one piece of gratitude for Nathan. Lisa had wanted to ask her in private away from the others, but Mel knew what was on all their minds. If there was one thing Mel knew of that ungrateful bastard, it was the fact he'd never once tried to take advantage of him, nor had he ever allowed Elaine to do so either. Forced to watch. Yes. Force into sex. No. It was the only bit of saving grace she afforded that worthless pile of shit. If he had, no force -not Anya, -not Grandmother, -not no one, would have been able to save him from her wrath.

     With the emotional dam broken Mel was finding life had more to offer. She thought of her suffering and where her life was now heading. She thought her life couldn't have been any stranger.

     She had a new home and life living as Melody with a woman who loved her even with its ups and downs. There was Bikini Beach, a place where she had her freedom to swim and dive like she loved to do. A place where she was learning to put her past behind her and learn to be the type of girl she wanted to be. It was a place Grandmother had started in wanting girls and women to just have fun without the fear of being ogled which she desperately needed. Sure she knew many of the girls were boys, just like she knew many of the so called girls didn't remember. And the ones who did know, were either scared or self-conscious in having others know. Yet many still came back, like Bobby and his dad, which puzzled her. Of course Natty's boyfriend and his friend came back. Maybe it wasn't so strange after all. Maybe Natty was right when she told her the park was the best and it was fun.

     She continued to contemplate why she could perform small bits of magic as well as her mind reading. She hadn't been able before. Was it after she decided to stay as Melody? Was it the parks water? Did it start when Officer Donovan changed? Funny thing given how her memory worked. She never knew when it started.

     Then there was Reba and her circle of friends. Because of her she become a part of her clique. Sleepovers controlled at first given how nervous she had been. Knowing who were true girls and those who were g.i.r.l.s. It had taken a bit of getting used to. Reba had expressed her own wariness about her brother as she grew older and him starting to remember. Using her magic she decided to quiz him once. He didn’t even fight her when he agreed to it and with the compulsion not to lie, both she and Reba asked what he saw. As a boy it was nothing but a mixture of fuzzy images of girls when naked. Out of focus, except when he became what he considered his alter ego. Both girls soon relaxed around him, along with Brad. Unlike Brad another of their friends, Greg didn't remember changing. It was kinda fun to watch him after he changed. To hear his point of point of view in how they spent their times together especially when it came to where him and Sheila were concerned.

     The strange reactions when Mel decided to tell Reba and Bobby when Greg changed to Gloria, best friends with Sheila and their looks was almost priceless. It seemed neither thought about it when the group came to Bikini Beach. Not until Mel mentioned it to them. Mel took to trusting them like she trusted Natty, only it seemed Natty was becoming more involved with her own boyfriend. Not that she minded. And she really did understand Brad's reluctance in wanting to change and loved him for his willingness to do so when asked. She tried not to ask too often, just when it bothered her to much at seeing him. Her pain easing from the unwarranted guilt believing it was she who had inadvertently killed her own brother. Those sessions were helping she admitted. Them telling her to put a positive spin on things. Not her past, but now. She didn't fully understand until they reminded her how she took to looking negatively at her life. Her mother reminding her what happened was gone and together they could move forward and be a family.

**************

     The door gave an audible click when Mel turned the small knob, effectively locking her door to her room. She didn't really need to as her mother had left earlier taking Reba and Bobby home after their sleep over. She did it as a precaution to ensure her privacy. Even with her mother's understanding Mel felt slightly ashamed as she looked at her reflection.

     Slowly, deliberately, she started to undress herself, leaving herself clad in her bra and panties. An image took form as she watched knowing what was going to happen.

     At first the boy appeared vague, distorted between her and the mirror only to have it coalesced over hers, yet remaining separate in its transparent form. She stood a little taller than him now. It didn't frighten her like it once had. Now it had become more of a nuisance, an annoyance as it mimicked her gestures in an outlandish sort of way.

     Looking past the image even as it mocked her, Mel slowly unclasped the back of her bra unsure if this was what she wanted to do, allowing her breasts to hang free. She had always shied away from exposing herself to long, not wanting to deal with her body, quickly to showering or dress, wanting to ignore the weird sensations, feelings being invoked when she lathered up. Why was she so afraid of them? It? Even her girlfriends confessed to hating parts of their body and they had grown up being a girl. Mel thought how pretty Reba was, as with how gorgeous Jorden looked. During their slumber nights the girls compared themselves to one another, complimenting the other and agreeing on where they thought they lacked. It was a simple question her friends asked causing her to think. A need of hers to understand how to be a girl. She couldn't escape it. Not wanting to be too girly mind you, but a girl none the less. Their conversations started off innocently enough with the usual talking about clothes, shoes and whatnot. Boys she remained quiet on and on some clothes she expressed no option. Then it somehow turned to showers and school. How girls ultimately compared themselves to one another. More so on the older girls once they started high school.

     She had been drawn into the conversation about massage settings and how they giggled on their use of them at home. How their bodies would tingle down below, each blushing when they admitted they'd used the pulse setting for another purpose. Gloria even admitted she'd sit on their washing machine during certain cycles because it made her feel all good and tingly down below. Reba's confession where she had to be extra careful living in a house with a brother and widowed father. Mel didn't fully understand and Jorden, Gloria as well with Reba started to razz her. Hadn't she ever explored her body? Masturbated? Red faced she kept quiet. She hadn't, it felt wrong, perverted in some sort of way to her. They told her she was crazy.

     Now her hand cupped a breast gently as she brushed a finger over her nipple. This wasn't some foreign body anymore. This was her and she gave out a collective gasp when she traced a finger around her areola and its sensitivity. Brushing her nipple once more it became harder, more prominent as she thought of some boys and how they ogled her. Her other nipple started to harden, stick out more and oh so slowly, timidly, she repeated the process of touching it. Below, she found that tickling sensation emanating, almost shying away from it only to shift her legs slightly which allowed her other hand better access as it moved down the front of her panties, gently rubbing herself through its fabric. She almost stopped, guilty at the sensations they evoked. What was she doing?! The ghost in the mirror copied her movements, only it seemed more perverted. She pushed back against the image. He was gone, no more, she insisted. Her mind focused more intently on her, the sensations building, almost overwhelming her. She was a girl, no longer the boy David. Slowly, it seemed; his body grew thinner, fainter, to dissolve within her as she continued to explore 'her' body. Legs grew weak, wobbly, as Mel stood there, fingers slowly rubbing herself in front of the mirror. She found her hips gyrating to the movements of her hand; still she didn't stop.

     Climbing onto her bed, Mel scooted her body into a more comfortable position, pushing her pillows around before returning her hand to continue its ministrations. With less trepidation her hand roamed its way along her panty line, pushing it down past her knees, allowing access to her lips in between, to have her fingers explore further. Sucking in her breath it seemed to be a battle of wills as she reminded herself this was her body, not some other. With a bit more insistence her fingers touched an area sending small shivers through her, causing a low moan to pass from her lips. Pleasant shivers seeped through her body as fingers explored around her mons, an area she always tried to avoid.

*************

     Lisa stepped inside the apartment closing the door as she placed her purse on a nearby stand. She looked around wondering where Mel could be. Walking down the hall she glanced inside the spare room half expecting to see Mel tinkering with some item only to find it empty. She hadn't received a text saying she would be going out.

     Hearing noises coming from Mel's room Lisa prepared to tap on the door only to stop when she heard the unmistakable sounds coming from the other side. Quietly she moved away, heading towards the kitchen to retrieve herself a fruit drink before settling down in the recliner in the living room. She grabbed one of her favorite trek novels then turned on the stereo having adjusted the headset as she reclined slightly to listen to a favorite station.

     Mel lost track of time when she exited her room having redressed from her excursion, to step into the hall only to stop when Lisa rotated the recliner slightly to face her. Giving a nod in acknowledgement she returned back to her reading.

     Without saying anything, Mel avoided looking at her mom as she reached for a drink from the fridge. Walking past her mother, Mel paused when none too loud, "It wasn't easy living in a house full of men." Lisa commented without taking her eyes from her book. "It was very hard to have some form of privacy as a teenage girl whose brothers always seemed to find ways to drive me crazy with their antics."

     "Uh, I'm sure," Mel said uneasy as she took a seat nearby, unsure where her mother was going.

     "Did Reba ever tell you I was the one who had to tell her about the need for 'personal privacy'?" Lisa inquired as she set her headphones aside. Marking her page, she set the book aside as Mel waited. "It seemed her brother was finding ways to 'accidentally' interrupt her at the wrong moment." Mel looked down, her face taking on a crimson color at what Lisa was saying. Did she know what she had been doing?

     "Keith asked me, thinking it would be easier given how I have to give classes on sex education. But I found it wasn't easy. Do you know why?" Not waiting for an answer, "It's because I helped him with certain aspects of raising a daughter after his wife died. Even Kat had problems with their discussions because Reba knew it was her dad and not her aunt. But it wasn't Reba I ended up talking to. It was Bobby." Lisa became uncomfortable in their discussion. The situation to unique wondering if this was how to proceed.

     "Bobby was questioning why his sister was locking her door and he would hear noises coming from the other side which made him even more curious. But there were other problems. It seemed Bobby was aware of certain feelings when he was a girl and he was troubled even with the spells Grandmother have in place. Girls discover at an earlier age how they're more different than boys are."

     "But I thought he didn't know till recently."

     "True, but I watched both Reba and Bobby grow over the years. I found, when he was she, how she'd have questions about her own body just like any other girl her age would. Then when he started to remember his visits he'd been more inquisitive. His thoughts of being that young girl, while his mind was like any boy discovering girls."

     "What did you do? You didn't, you know."

     "Yes and no. I took Bobby to the park to change. Then I had a discussion with her after some help from Anya." Lisa replied.

     "I don't understand."

     "Mel, I was never a man. I couldn't talk to Bobby like I could to Reba. But I could relate to Bobbie as a girl. She would understand her own need for privacy. And with Anya's help I was able to convey that need to Bobby as he grew older. She too would explore more of her body and discover why she needed it."

     "You don't mean." Lisa nodded her head in ascension as Mel gave a very expressive 'Eeewww'. "I took a lesson from Dad."

     "What do you mean?"

     "Honey there are three types of girls. Moaners, squealers and those who are quiet. Boys are more like grunters." Both grew silent, each more uncomfortable in where their discussion had gone.

     "Uh, what did your dad suggest?" Mel asked not wanting to think of what Bobby knew. She focused on which of the three she was.

     "Honey, turn up your radio." Lisa advised gently. "There's nothing to be ashamed of but…"

     Humiliated, her mom knew exactly what she had been doing. Taking her hands gently, "Mel, I'm glad you're finally growing comfortable enough to explore your body. You should never be ashamed about it. It's natural to explore. You don't know how many times I'd hear my brothers, your Uncles, and I'd turn up 'my' radio to drown out the noise."

     "But, but that means Bobby knows what we look like. Naked." Mel said horror struck.

     "Don't you also know what boys look like?" Lisa asked reminding Mel of who she had once been. Reassuring her further, "It just means 'he' knows what 'she' looks like naked. It was a tradeoff we decided to have in order to convey the point across and I can tell you he was just as embarrassed about it as you are now."

     "And don't think I don't know how embarrassed you are. I felt guilty also till I had a further talk with Aunt Irena and my girlfriends. How difficult it had to be for Dad to try and discuss something a man doesn't really understand."

     "But it's not wrong?"

     "Do you think it's wrong?" Lisa asked. "I know you don't like your mother, but don't you think she fought as hard as she could against what Nathan wanted her to do? No woman I know of wants to be forced into unwanted sex. Sex can be very beautiful and fulfilling when done for the proper reasons. I know you don't want to think about it and how atrocious it was in what he did, but could she have really fought it for long? I don't think she was weak, I think she fought as well as she could before giving in."

*************

     "Mel? Mel?" Vicky's voice came out of nowhere, the touch light on her shoulder.

     Startled out of her daydream. "Wha."

     "You zoned out on me," Vicky carried a half worried look, then relief once Mel answered her. Her mother stood by the car door watching the exchange. Mel never saw them arrive at the complex or her mother's approach so deep in thought was she.

     "You must have been in some heavy thoughts," Vicky said having stopped next to her apartment complex.

     "That’s the look she gives me when I ask her to help with the housecleaning." Lisa supplied as she opened the door. "Tunes me out like another certain boy when it comes to helping around with the chores," her mother teased.

     "Mother!" Mel cried near embarrassment. "It's nothing like that," Mel proclaimed at being caught daydreaming. "Just thinking about some things that’s all."

     Reaching over her seat, Vicky tugged the girl close giving Mel a sisterly hug. "Nothing bad I hope."

     "I was just thinking about how lucky I am to have so many friends who care about me," Mel said. "Especially you and Mom. I don't know what I would have done if it hadn't been for you."

     Having excused herself once she claimed her belongings, Mel headed inside as she allowed the two women to converse.

     "Any problems?" Lisa asked.

     "Just the usual," Vicky replied. "Turned my sister against me, had Dad make me feel unworthy and made Mom promise never to put her in this predicament again." Vicky deadpanned. "You owe me."

     "She enjoyed herself then I take it."

     "Thoroughly." Vicky said with a droll grin. "She wasn't as moody as she usually is. She's accepting her change slowly. She rejected only a few of the more daring dresses Mom suggested. She thinks she'll break Mel out of her tomboyish ways."

     "I doubt that’s going to happen." Both chuckled at the idea.

     "And you?"

     "I needed it," Grateful for the reprieve. "I never dreamed how taxing it could be being a parent."

     "And a single one." Vicky added. "Mom and Dad were the same way. They needed time for themselves to recharge. You don't think she suspects do you? I mean the main reason you allowed her to spend the weekend away, not that I minded?"

     "Oh I won't put it past her." Lisa admitted. "It's harder to hide our thoughts from her now, but I think she understands. It's not like how Nathan controlled Elaine."

     "So it was a girl's weekend for you and Keith. To go out and have fun." She stressed the emphasis on fun.

     Lisa didn't bother to justify her motives. "Very enjoyable. We're just slowing down." Lisa replied.

     Vicky's eyes carried an almost evil if not suspicious look. "I sold him the pass, it was good for two days. The two of you?"

     "We're just close friends." Lisa replied.

     "Uh huh, close friends with a few benefits." The smirk was clearly evident on Vicky's face. "At least you both had fun and relaxed, that's what matters."

     "I'll let you know when I can take off for our little get together." Vicky replied as she shifted gears, ready to pull out of the parking lot giving her a friendly wave. "I've got to talk to Anya. We were supposed to get together but she's didn't show. I heard she's been hanging around some other girl lately."

     "I know," Lisa sounded a little worried. "She was supposed to teach Mel tomorrow, but she's already begged out saying she was going to be busy."

     "Has Mel brought up why she can do magic yet?"

     "No yet, I think she's not ready to discuss it. Still in denial."

     "Do you know who the new girl is?" Vicky asked ready to pull out.

     "Heard her name is Oksana and she's supposed to be from the 'old country'," Lisa replied before waving goodbye. She'd have to go inside and break the news to Mel there would be no new lessons. She would still have her practice with the plastic ware and candle, go over the incantations, wondering how long it would be before Mel wanted to discuss the matter, not that she was trying to hide it from her. She just wanted to wait as long as possible, but the evidence was clear. Her adopted daughter was showing all signs of being a sorceress.

*************

     Placing her hand under the running water as it cascaded into the tub Mel adjusted the settings so as not to scald herself as she drew her bath. Dropping several capfuls of a lavender colored gel, bubbles soon formed within the water. Satisfied she finished undressing as the garden tub continued to fill. There were a few occasions where she would ask if she could use it, wanting to just relax and soak as jets sent swills of bubbling water to her body. Giving a few poses on the bathroom mirror Mel took in her features. Twisting she examined herself. Lithe like her mother, her waist was slowly changing, growing inward as her hips expanded. Unlike her brother, she maxed out on height at around five-three, five-four. Her curves were becoming more noticeable, obvious to others, especially the boys as she grew older.

     Too many freckles, as she scrutinized her features. And her tan was so uneven as she twisted to look behind her. She didn't like wearing a two piece, but she knew she'd have to if she ever wanted to have a better overall tan. Perhaps in the privacy of Reba's backyard. Convince her mother to join them, get past her own shame like her. She could ensure their privacy. Even against Reba's brother, but knowing him he'd just want to change to join them. Fine, she though, he'll have to explain the lines. He was cool to hang around with sometimes, even if he was younger. He was so nosey about her magic. Pestering her. Yet she didn't seem to mind. Admitting it to herself, she did like him. As a friend. He was fun to play ball with as well as good at playing video games. As a friend she still considered him slightly weird for a boy.

     Adjusting the jets Mel eased herself into the warm water, submerging herself to where her head was all that remained over the foam of bubbles, her body hidden from view.

     Having placed her iPhone in the cradle she let the music stream out from the mini speakers. Searching, reaching out, she found her mom watching TV. Her message had been clear to Mel from their earlier talk. Their household was far different than most homes. Not only was Lisa trying to convey to Mel about having to deal with her own sexuality, she had to be mindful of others. Like her mothers. Lisa had no way to shield herself from Mel's mindreading and Mel understood her need in not wanting to have her thoughts invaded when 'she' wanted her own moments. Or worse when she had intercourse. Mel shied away from that part, not wanting to trigger the unpleasant memories.

     Humming a tune to some new age country music, Mel settled herself down. She began to understand what Lisa wanted to convey. Women have their own needs and wants, unlike those who had been forced into unforeseen circumstances like her real mother. Others went in willingly, like Lisa, but selectively.

     Soaking, Mel allowed her fingers to move along sensitive areas where water jets caressed against smooth skin. There was nothing wrong she told herself. She even admitted she had enjoyed the feelings, the rush. Fingers roamed once more, traversing downward, touching areas in what she liked and didn't like, along with the sensations they conveyed.

     In the living room Lisa carefully composed the text message. 'Arrangements have been made. Carino's Friday night.'

     It was a nice Italian restaurant in town providing small private rooms for single engagements. Lisa was thankful Mel's moods were finally settling down. Typing out various texts Lisa couldn't resist when she sent one to a select few, 'Little moaner is busy taking bath.' Unsurprisingly emotes came back with either smiley faces or winks with a few commenting 'that’s our tomboy.' One message came back to one sent earlier for verification asking if they would be able to attend the informal get-together. She hesitated in letting Keith in on some family matters. She wasn't a carefree woman. Just a woman with her own needs and after his earlier incident as Kat and her brother, both had come to a mutual agreement. Vicky had been right about her assessment, it had been enjoyable. For both. Still Lisa worried about how Mel would feel.

     Once more a text arrived from Keith, 'Swinging by to talk with Brad's mother. Have a few prospects may help with family's situation. Daughter insisted she accompany. Keeping an eye on that boy.' She gave a soft chuckle. He was a good man and a good father. She'd have to remind him about trusting his daughter though. Seeing and talking to each other without her dad being the overbearing type. Mel had to know, she was sure, yet remained quiet about the two. From what Lisa could determine Mel didn't seem the jealous type.

     Two others came back declining. Frowning Lisa wondered why Anya would decline given the significance of the event. While the other stated he would be on shift and regretted not being able to attend. Ever since the incident with Mel taking care of Officer Donovan, for an undercover sting, he had been keeping his distance. She wondered if letting Mel taking care of him had embarrassed him. Yet she couldn't help wonder if it was something deeper.

*************

     The table broke out in laughter, then song, as waiters and waitresses arrived clapping and singing. Mel tried to squirm her way down, to hide, if possible, beneath the tables linen as the troupe of staff worked their way to their table. Only an arm reached out around her, to pull her close. One member carried a small cake with a single candle, smiling at the birthday girl before setting it in front of her.

     Her face flushed feverishly as all those who had gathered bore witness to what Mel assumed was her ultimate humiliation of the evening. At least there weren't balloons adorning the table like she feared. Another table, unused, had been arranged with gifts, now open, as she and the rest enjoyed their meal. Her older friends gathered with their own boyfriends laughing and joking. Mel gave her mom a pleading look of asking why? Lisa leaned over to whisper in her ear. "It's all in good fun honey enjoy it, it is your birthday."

     Next to Lisa, Keith Sinclair sat close while Reba with her other friends gathered together nearby. One boy felt out of place as he tried to adjust his collar. He wasn't dress as nice as some of the others, clad in slacks and a nice dress shirt with tie.

     If onlookers compared him with the birthday girl, they'd recognize similar features only to be told they weren't related when asked. It was a secret he disdained, yet understood begrudgingly, given the animosity Mel felt against their mother. Inside it hurt to know he had a sister who wouldn't come home because of the act of one man. Yet in another he owed her so much he was at a loss on how to repay her. He rechecked the small package he kept close debating if it was worth the effort. It seemed so insignificant compared to the others stacked on a table nearby. Even Reba's looked better when Mel opened the gifts, compared to his. She gushed over each, hugging them as he held back ashamed. He'd considered forgoing of his gift, given how his compared to the others.

     He'd seen the wayward glances Reba's father gave him as he looked his way. Only to have Lisa poke him gently, whispering in his ear, before relaxing. Tall and husky Brad felt out of place. He was nearing his thirteen birthday and many mistook him to be slightly older given his height and build which at times put him at a disadvantage.

     "Now that we've had a chance to partake in this excellent food, I'd like to say something." Keith said as he scooted back his chair to raise from his seat. All talk quieted when he spoke. "For some of us it's been an extraordinary year." He favored Mel a smile and wink. "But through it all I would say we survived." There were a few guffaws from around the table as various eyes turned to Mel. Or so she believed as she tried to hide from view. "But let's not forget why we came together tonight." Turning towards her, "To celebrate the birthday of our young guest. We know it's been an extremely difficult year for you having endured so much. I'd just like to say. We're here for you." Keith once more took his seat as others once more returned to their conversations having given light applause and enjoying each other's company.

     Slowly, self-consciously Brad made his way towards his sister with mixed emotions. It was almost always Mr. Sinclair who arrived to pick him up for his visits. To take him over once arrangements had been made with his mother. Bashfully he handed the small package to her, her expression conveying a small amount of puzzlement when she saw it.

     Mel hadn't expected any gift from him considering how a fierce summer's storm had damaged his home. With a dwindling of reserve money for necessary repairs, money had been tight. Tighter than usual as his mother complained how the insurance company was skeptical of her claims. Whole sections of the city had been devastated along with the surrounding suburbs. Insurance companies had been swamped with costly if not shady claims; laggard if not shirking in their efforts to pay for damages many were entitled to. His home had sustained serious water and wind damage and with the severity of the storms damage to the community, his mother's job had been cut back several hours.

     "I know it's not much, and I can never, ever repay you for what you've done for me. But, I thought, perhaps you might like this."

     Opening the package Mel unfolded the garment. Inside a large jersey bearing the number forty-three was imprinted on both sides. For her it was huge given his bulk. When worn the jersey engulf her small frame. "I hope you like it. It's an old one I had and uh…" He hated it. He had given all he had saved as they struggled once more.

     Clutching the jersey tightly Mel wrapped her arms around her brother. Misty eyed a few tears came, "I love it, it's wonderful." Uncharacteristically Mel gave him a peck on the cheek. Both kids withdrew from their hold when lights flashed around from camera phones. Without saying another word Brad returned to his seat, both deeply embarrassed at her sudden show of affection. Neither heard the quiet awe's at the unexpected gesture.

     Without warning he received another kiss as Reba placed a quick peck of her own on his cheek. "That was very sweet of you," before turning away. Silently, hidden from view Brad reached underneath the table to to grasped hold of Reba's hand. Neither said anything when a concerned eye came their way from Keith Sinclair.

*************

     Mel stood there as both Anya and her new friend Oksana took in the girl's expression. "I'm a what?" She had come to the park to have some fun like several other kids from a stressful week of school. Her mother had even insisted she forgo her usual help seeing the stress and anxiety Mel was having attending a new school.

     "You heard me Melody," Anya said, knowing how Mel didn't liked to be called by her full name unless she had to. "You’re a wanna be." Beside her the other girl gave her a sneer.

     "So this is the girl you were talking about. Oh wait, I'm sorry the 'boy' who can't thank-you enough for saving his life. Perhaps if she was a little more complacent then she could really understand the needs of one her own age." The sneer and ridicule at hearing Anya tell the new girl about Mel's past took her by surprise. All she had wanted was to see if she could treat a few friends to some ice-cream sodas till her mother was done with classes.

     "You know Mel..ody," Anya purposely spread the name apart, emphasizing the feminine sound as Mel stood there flabbergasted. "You should really be more grateful. I've done more for you then I really should have. Allowing you help out in the park, which is against the law considering your age. And then there's my helping you to learn magic. Only real sorceress's can truly appreciate the intricate art of being able to perform them." Anya reached forward and tugged on Mel's pendant snapping the chain. "Just because you have this trinket don't even think you're far stronger than me."

     Anya handed the pendent towards Oksana. The other mage gave it a passing glance only to pause when her eye caught hold of the intricate runes placed around the hearts edges. Taking a more intense interest she focused her attention on the object as Anya continue to berate the young girl.

     At first Mel didn't know what to say. Here was Anya belittling her for no apparent reason, to be so callous about her past. Anya gave off a cold-hearted laugh as Mel came to verge of tears, crushed at hearing the harsh words from whom she considered a close friend. "Oh don't get all misty eyed with me Melody," Anya said as the tears began to swell. "Real girls know how to fight other girls. You on the other hand just get all teary-eyed. You know I'm far stronger than you. 'I' was the one who stopped you from ending your life. 'I' was the one who placed you in the orphanage afterwards. And you know 'I' who can take it all away," Anya stated as she gave a snap of her fingers, "just like that." Bending over slightly she looked Mel directly in the face. "So don't even think about coming to ask for any favors Melody. I don't care what Grandmother allowed you to do. From now one you'll have to pay for those treats up front just like any other paying customer. And as for your 'so called' mother I think it's time she pays us for the privilege of finding kids for her swim team. I'll start by docking her pay once I get back to the office."

     Mel lips trembled as tears flowed down her cheeks when Anya turned to leave the troubled girl, only to face the slightly trembling girl once more. "You know Melody from the way you've been acting I would say you're nothing but a sissy." A sneer came to Anya's lips before beginning a small incantation and a twill of her fingers. Around Mel her swimsuit began to shimmer and separate from a blue and gold design into two separate forms.

     Her bottom half grew smaller as it morphed around Mel's mid-section, shrinking in size as thin lines appeared along her hips. Changed to a pink and yellow color the material barely covered Mel's rear as a tri-layer of ruffles of small hearts formed leaving ruffled edges. The front was just as thin, barely covering Mel's vulva where delicate strings attached themselves to her side.

     Her top matched in appearance with small ruffles draping downward over barely covered breasts with only the minimalist material necessary. If wet the thin material would have given any observer a clear view of what lay underneath. Flip-flops formed around her feet with small yellow daisies covering her toes as well as a small pair of daisies placed strategically in her hair.

     Mel couldn't conceal the humiliation running through her at wearing something so shear and revealing appeared once the suit solidified on her. Backing away from the two, strings pulled taunt, stretching to the point where they would snap and break with the slightest movement. "Now you look the part," Anya said satisfied of her handiwork as the pair left a very mortified Mel alone, to dash away afraid the material would break before she found some form of cover. Onlookers stared in in disbelief at the wonton display and laughter from the two in their humiliation of the poor girl, to move away in fear.

     As the two departed Oksana continued to examine the dual hearts and its intricate markings. "Is this what gives her the ability to have others do what she says?" A few of the symbols fascinated her when she recognized one or two.

     "Partially." Anya replied taking the pendant away. "Melody hasn't been told as Grandmother is being too lenient with her. Coddling her because of her past. She doesn’t know it but she's the product of wild magic."

     Oksana eyed the stricken girl who was further from them as she ran in deep shame. "Why don't you just demand she give you the pendant Anya?" Her mind wheeled with the idea of keeping the pendant from the girl. "A girl her age and a none mage should never be allowed such power."

     "Unfortunately," Anya said as she tossed the pendant away without a second thought, and to the consternation of Oksana, "is the damn thing is bound to the girl. I've tried to examine it many times only to have it disappear on me before I can learn more about it. It varies but she'll have it back within the next 10-30 minutes."

     Eyeing where the pendant had been tossed Oksana contemplated her current plans. "I'll be back later," she said making an excuse to leave. "We're still on for our trip to the Far East but I need to take care of some things." And with that Anya found herself alone, walking back towards the office. Her mind elsewhere as Oksana's gift continued to muddle her consciousness.

     Safely out of view, Oksana once more retrieved the pendant from where Anya had tossed it. She needed to hurry before it returned to its owner, something about the obscure marking nagged the back of her mind once she retrieved the pendant as she 'traveled' to the 'Otherword'.

*************

     Mel wanted to understand why Anya, a friend, had treated her so badly. She'd done nothing wrong in her eyes, whenever she asked to treat her friends, she had requested it beforehand with Grandmother accepting payment in some other form if she didn't have the money on her, usually tasked with some errand around the park or to help completing minor staff chores when a worker was running late. Now with the tongue lashing and humiliation she'd received, Mel wasn't sure she wanted to go back to the park. It had been a herculean effort on Lisa's part to even have Mel consider returning given the animosity she endured from Anya.

     With Anya acting strange, Mel began to question her relationship with the older mage, finding it unpleasant to hang around Anya especially when her new friend Oksana was present. For weeks Anya seemed to be acting strange towards her. Putting off other forms of incantations. It never passed Mel's notice how Anya continued to hang out more consistently with her new friend. She ignored all her other ones unconcerned how her conduct changed and affected them.

     Not daring for a repeat of her own humiliation Mel elected to avoid Anya whenever she could. At first Mel considered if perhaps she was at fault, jealous of the other woman, only to take an instant dislike to the woman when she first spied her insulting another customer in the park. There was something about the woman's demeanor which didn't seem right. How she flaunted her magic so callously given where Anya once preached deterrence.

     Mel found herself making excuses in not wanting to be alone with Anya when she inquired on her whereabouts. Mel sensed something was wrong only she couldn't quite place where. It seemed strange how Anya had forgotten about their earlier confrontation only to hear the ridicule when Oksana reappeared.

     Making herself scarce meant using her ability when she shouldn't have needed to. She forced people to forget about her when asked. Unanswered questions lingered for her. Grandmother seemed caught up in Anya's strangeness only she seemed to not take much of a stance. Then to hear Grandmother claiming she needed a few weeks away which left Anya in charge. Mel took notice on how Selena seemed to be caught up with Anya's antics. Not that she didn't converse with the other mage. She didn't hate her, they talked. A little, not much. Even Natty acted strange towards Anya.

     Mel found her time becoming more limited, wrapped up more with school and other activities. Automotive shop turned to be one of her favorite classes with many of the boys looking past the fact that she was a girl. She didn't present herself like so many of the other girls.

     A few in shop became interested when she talked about working on a mini bike and where she had seen a motorcycle online that was cheap. An old hog the seller claimed to be from the early sixties. She had expressed an interest only to have the seller claim he didn't cater to children. Now she had both her mother and Keith looking into the matter given the cost. Even Mr. Graves seemed interested when he heard them talking about it, suggesting a few sports magazines dealing with dirt bike racing and motorcycle antiques.

     Now wasn't the time for her to be thinking of such matters. She pushed the thoughts aside for later as she prepared herself for another dive when she heard the sounds of rumbling thunder nearby. Mentally she blocked out the usual distractions from nearby kids. Normally nothing would distract her once her mind focused on the dive she was preparing to do, yet with the close proximity of the thunder Mel stumbled having taken several steps. Unseen, her pendant began to glow, radiate a soft blue, as it nestled underneath her swimsuit, between her breasts. She had become accustomed to having it placed there, nearly forgotten except when removed. At times she felt naked without it.

     Composing herself quickly Mel started anew as she retraced her steps when the roar of thunder rolled once more throughout the park, its volume increasingly significantly from when she began her final approach towards the diving boards edge, ready to spring upwards into an intricate dive.

     For many of the girls watching and waiting beneath her, a few considered Mel a champ of the high dives, rarely giving an inch to others who dared to compete against her in their attempt to outdo her. She didn't seek fame or their admiration, she just loved to dive, and if challenged an inner spark seemed to ignite. A deep desire to compete and win. So much so she eventually relented to her mother's asking if she'd become one of the members of the schools swim team, thus taking up more of her free time.

     Many of the girls were elated when they heard the news. A few tried to suggest she should seek to become one of the team captains. She didn't want or care for it. She was the new comer, a freshman even, and though a few of the captains knew of her prowess she didn't want to be viewed as some upsurge with privileges because of her mother. Mel wanted to be treated like any of the other new members.

     It had come as a great relief when her mother sided with her and the team captain. Mel came to learn her mother could be a stickler for formality and even though Mel was her daughter now, the team's comradery and cohesion came foremost over her desire for championships. Mel was learning about cohesion as well the downside of having a mother who was the school's athletic director and swim coach. She dictated was what was best for the team, even when Mel could perform.

     With the roar of another wave of magic making its way through the park Mel's pendant changed its appearance once more going from the soft glow to a fierce blue ember when Mel's body flickered momentarily. None around felt the air became electrified as the wave of magic swept pass them, outwards from the park.

     Girls gathered around the high dive instructor never giving a second thought when the hawk nosed woman pointed a bony finger to the top of the high dive; empty. None remembered having knew or seen a girl standing above ready to dive.

     DVD's, videos and posters from the waterparks souvenir shop showcasing a once young girls exuberance for diving vanished, disappearing with wave of a finger having released a field of magic to spread its way throughout Bikini Beach. Reality continued to shift the thoughts and minds of past images with those gathered inside the park as well as beyond.

     Once there had been young mage and her mother brought together by fate. Now fate demanded a new course of action for her and those around. Thoughts and desires proved irrelevant to those with an ability of arrogance to willfully use their power in a malevolent manner. Dark clouds of blue took form above those standing next to the main entrance way where three sorceress squared off; one unconcerned, one aghast and the third festering a bitterness towards the other two.

     Bubbling with glee the woman watched the culmination of revenge take hold the two whom she considered beneath her: An old worn down woman with her young inexperienced granddaughter, not caring about the destruction of lives with decades of planning came to fruition.

~o~O~o~

*****Anya's Confrontation*****
*******Bobbies POV*******

     Earlier, none too far away on the climbing towers, several kids spotted Mel, ready to dive into the water after they had reached the top snatching with eager fingers a waiting brass ring for their efforts. Each had worked their way to the top of the parks climbing tower and paused on its wall to take in the panoramic view it afforded them as they spied the young diver preparing for her dive, only to continue once more upward once fellow competitors took advantage of their lull. Many of the kids in their rush would flounder on their attempt to maneuver their way to the top, not because of the distance, but by design and complexity of where one was supposed to place hands and feet in coordination to the provided stepping stones.

     One girl in particular, stringy and wiry like most girls her age, looked around briefly, only to continue as she used fingers and toes to reach upwards of the next artificial stone. Bobbie Sinclair used the handholds to her advantage as she made her way to the top with grim determination, avoiding the easier set of embedded stones most girls used. She wasn't partaking in the others competition. Not just yet. She was waiting just like her older sister, Reba, for Mel to finish helping her mother teach those interested in diving.

     Unlike a few of her friends, Bobbie preferred to monkey around with the tower, having learned to grasp and cling to even the littlest of holdings, not afraid of falling. She knew she'd land safely in the water below from prior mishaps when she first took to climbing the tower years before. Many times she tried to reach the top only to find she lacked the strength and agility on where to place not just her hands, but her feet also.

     So with much determination and gusto she took it upon herself to learn from where others climbed, to observe where they went and try to follow their path. Of course she chose the wrong ones to follow in her beginning attempts for the coveted prize like so many of the other girls. How after many attempts she found it thrilling to take on such a challenge, so with each chance she had, she'd spend a few hours learning how to climb its walls her way, delighted when she finally reached its top only to lose her footing and plummet down to the waiting water below having failed to reach the coveted brass ring. Many girls would cry from their failed attempts deciding to give up. Not Bobbie. She'd swim back towards the tower, to retrace her steps. The goal no longer was the brass ring. Soon it became a different challenge. To find a new way to reach the top.

     Watching Mel prepare for her dive, Bobbie had only one comment which she kept to herself as she continued her assent, determined this time to reach the brass ring. She chose a more challenging route for herself, and the small reward she'd receive once she turned it in at one of the many concession stands, placed there for their efforts by the old woman who owned the park. With a small crease on her face, a smile really, she pulled herself upward, taking hold of another small purchase within her grasp, she whispered, "Show-off."

     Bobbie heard the shrieks of several girls falling once she reached the top, to pause as she took hold of the brass ring from its hook. Those same shrieks were overshadowed by the sounds of thunder echoing it way through the park. From her vantage point, Bobbie looked around the parks sky, unable to spot any rain clouds. Rattled from its intensity she felt and odd sensation as she turned her attention once more back towards the diving boards.

     "Hey move it." A pushy girl yelled nearly causing her to fall off. Bobbie slid away slightly to give room to the older girl so she could grasp hold of the ring as it dangled before them. Only one ring appeared on its hook and when taken the girls never seemed to question how another would magically take its place waiting for someone new to grasp it.

     Looking once more over to the diving boards, Bobbie took a seat dangling her feet over the edge of the tower. It looked odd to her knowing someone else teaching those classes instead of Miss Covington.

     Miss Covington, or Lisa, as Bobbie had been allowed to call her, no longer worked at the park. Not since that incident over a year ago. Not many girls stayed or signed up for the new classes offered once she left. The ones who did, mingled around the boards to later leave and join Coach Elizabeth's class on swimming. The hawk nosed instructor, who had filled her place, was a quick replacement as Grandmother looked for someone more competent. She lacked both the enthusiasm and spark necessitated to keep the girls engaged and their numbers dwindle.

     It's been over a year now, Bobbie thought, her leaving not just affected her, it affected her family as well. Her dad didn't take it well, not wanting to talk about it, and it hurt to think about why. Reba, like her, suspected the reason. It started the day a boy had been found, some runaway who wandered into the parking lot.

     Late in the evening on a past hot summer day her dad received a late phone call by Grandmother. She had never seen her dad so concerned, hurrying out the door leaving Reba to look after her as he rushed over to the park.

     Later, when he came home, Lisa accompanied him. As Bobby, he had tried to cheer her up, giving her a hug not fully understanding what had occurred. He just didn't like to see her unhappy and had seen the redness, puffiness of Lisa's eyes, her face stained where tears had flowed down her cheeks.

     As far as he could remember, even before her own mother's death, Lisa had been a part of their lives. She couldn'tt remember when, only Lisa started visiting and become a friend of the family. Then after her mom's death she had been there to help Dad when needed.

     When Bobby started coming to the park he didn't think about his dad becoming his aunt. Then he started to remember those changes. It had been Lisa with her daddy who helped her to understand. At times there were some things Bobbie didn't want to talk her daddy about, even as her Aunt Kat. But with Lisa it was different. The fun they were together. Going shopping and playing games or swimming. Lisa's smile would cheer her up whenever she was sad. Spending nights at her place staying up late as the two cuddled together on the couch watching movies. Falling asleep in her arms to find herself tucked in bed in one of the guest rooms the next morning. There was another room, only it was reserved. A place for some boy or girl to stay in. Lisa explained how some kids had to have a place to stay for a short time. A place for them to stay till they could be taken to an orphanage. Temporaries she called them and Lisa always felt sad afterwards. Now, though, all of it was gone - just like Lisa, and a tear formed, to trickle down the side of her cheek.

     Her daddy had talked with Lisa for hours the next day, and many more that followed.

     Bobby had woke up early the next day. Turning on the TV to watch morning cartoons, local news stations were talking about an incident at Bikini Beach. Before he turned the channel to one of his cartoon shows, reporters told of a boy who had gone missing with his family years before. Not much was known about him, only he had been found by the owner and another woman. An athletic teacher it was reported, as well a part time swim instructor who worked at the water park.

     Enthralled, Bobby listened how the boy had been found wandering outside the park, severely emaciated (she had to look the word up afterwards) well after closing. He barely gave his name before collapsing in the woman's arms.

     News anchors speculated who the boy was when they reported on another boy, or rather his remains, recently found by detectives. They had somehow found old photos and flashed them across the screen. One picture shown was of a family of four. Two boys with a military father and mother. They identified each one. Their father deceased from an ambush during the war. The oldest boy named David and their mother Elaine. The youngest boy, Bradley, was the one they found earlier with the others still missing. From the report an ambulance rushed the boy to the nearest hospital. They didn't disclose much, only to say he had been declared DOA (another word she had to find) after the ambulance arrived.

     Then the reporter switched to the city's police chief conducting a news briefing; issuing a warning for citizens to stay away from a suspected culprit; a psychopathic individual named Nathan whose picture was being displayed. An APB had been put out for his apprehension and even now they were still looking for him. Rumors floated, persisted around the park, he would never be found. Bobbie believed them like many of the other rumors that she heard about. Many thought Grandmother and Anya had something to do with it.

     It didn't seem to matter now. Not to her. To her what mattered most was Lisa was gone. She and her daddy had attended the boy's funeral with a few others from the park and Lisa hadn't been the same afterwards. She seemed heartbroken, listless. Not long afterwards Grandmother came to Coach Liz's class. Coach Lisa hadn't show up for class and announced Lisa would no longer be teaching and diving classes were henceforth suspended.

     Heartbroken, Bobbie learned from her daddy, Lisa would be moving away, going back home. It was so sudden, no goodbyes from her, only to say one of her brothers had come to pick her up. Later she overheard her daddy telling their aunt over the phone she had a nervous breakdown.

     Life hadn't been the same for them afterwards. She still came to the park because she enjoyed it, only not like before. Rarely did her daddy come anymore, just enough to drop her and her sister off before leaving. Then when he was gone her sister would disappear once she was sure he left. She took to meeting up with some friends outside the park. She was seeing an older boy and daddy didn't like him once the two had meet. Later she would sneak out of the house to meet him. Sneaking back inside with goofy looks on her face. He was two years older than her.

     Pushing herself off from the top of the structure to the waiting water below, she needed to go in search of her sister, betting she was outside the park once more meeting with him. Taking care Bobbie crossed her arms over her top, latching onto the ring between her fingers, not wanting to lose either once she plunged into the waiting water.

     "Whoa!" Startled when a bright flash emanated from the main entrance she made her way to the pools edge. "What the…" when another occurred. Her curiosity grew as with several other girls around her. Hoisting herself out, ring nearly forgotten, she and others turned their attention to the source, watching several of the parks staff run past them towards the commotion.

     "What's happened?" Bobbie asked as she joined several other patrons in trying to keep up with the instructors, starting to be outpace as they raced through the park. They weren't supposed to be running yet nobody bothered to stop or say anything to them.

     "Don't know, only there seems to be something major happening up front," replied an older girl.

     Approaching the front, Bobbie slowed her pace enough to catch her breath, her heart beating rapidly underneath her bikini top from the excursion. Quickly she tried to work her way through the throng of people, like her, who had gathered only to gawk once she saw the confrontation before her.

     She saw the smug look Anya displayed as with a hateful look from a very obvious angry young man. She wondered why the two were fighting in the first place.

     "You Bitch! What have you done?" The young man screamed. Bobbie, like a few of the other patrons listened to the verbal exchange in confusion as the confrontation unfolded. She took in where the boy took to feeling himself over in some grotesque dance. Hands groped a larger chest when he first looked down placing to see an ample bosom now gone, deflated, reshaped into small muscled pectorals. Broad shoulders and chest expanded from where a slim figure had once held slender arms now firmed to more muscular, small biceps. He sported a small paunch in the front from what appeared to be a loose fitting shirt. Hands hastily flew backwards taking in what had once been a well-defined derriere, grown smaller with the absence of fatty tissue once leading down to shapely legs.

     Feminine features took on a more rugged look with a tapered chin. Stubble appeared to grace various parts of his chin and cheeks. With the many changes taken hold, the boy knew for certain he was no longer the she he had once been when he felt a telltale lump form within his blue jeans. A bulge years prior removed, once yearned for, given how another sorcerer had used him, and his friendship was used to ensnare another boy for his own nefarious reasons. Now with his own reality reverted back to who he had once been, Vick found himself no longer betrothed to a boy she had come to love after his involuntary transformation.

     "I gave you want you wanted Vick." Anya replied not caring about the ramifications of what she had done. "Now you can marry Robbie and be the man of the house." The proclamation was more mocking, than complimentary.

     "What I wanted," Vick howled in protest as his face bore the rage of being denied what he desired, "was to marry Rob as Vicky. He stepped forward, his arm cocked back ready to throw a fist towards the woman whom he considered his best friend. "That’s what I wanted."

     Bobbie stood still, transfixed. Was the guy stupid or something? Why was Anya acting so mean towards him? It was then she caught sight of another woman, Oksana, who stood nearby taking in the spectacle of seeing two friends fight. To watch as the young man fell flat on his ass once Anya used her magic to create a shield to protect herself from him.

     Bobbie couldn't quite put her finger on it. There was something familiar about the guy. She hear the name not quite understanding what she heard. The boys' name was Vick. "Vicky?" Bobbie whispered when she recognized partial features of the young man. Wasn't there a girl named Vicky who worked at the water park?

     Patrons watched the spectacle of two friends fighting. Standing nearby Grandmother scanned their surroundings with her one sense, taking stock on the effect Anya had caused within. Her face carried a worried look. Her worry first started with the careless unraveling of Vicky's enchantment from years prior and the repercussions of failing to take into account Vicky's disappearance with the reappearance of Vick. Years of her persona were being removed, destroyed as Vick's life created new threads of friends and family decisions overshadowing those of Vicky's.

     Like the strands of a web caught in a gale storm, Vicky's threads snapped, fluttering in the winds waiting to be taken hold and reconnected to new paths as reality rewove itself in the form of possibilities. Many threads simply ended broken, leaving an emptiness for its owner. More and more threads found themselves loose, hanging aimlessly without purpose. Threads of lives loose ends strained the very fabric of their universe placed their existence in jeopardy. Unaccounted lives would be cast adrift if not repair and soon.

     With her outreached sense Grandmother found what she feared bearing fruit. Without the presence of Vicky, Mel's existence had been erased, replaced by David's decision, unwilling to stay having made the determination it was far better for him to live a miserable and wretched live then to be someone he couldn't and wouldn't want to be. Never hearing of Vicky's tale, the compassion of understanding David's plight, David returned once more to his pathetic life, succumbing to wounds, passing away in the arms of Lisa, begging and pleaded till it was too late. Holding him close he slipped away in her arms.

     Grandmother detected the changes to reality as the wave continued outward, reaching one of the many cemeteries scattered around the city. To have one change ever so slightly with the simplest of markings placed next to two small graves. Markers bearing the name of siblings, brothers, resting side by side next to a father killed in a war years before.

     Using the knowledge of what was occurring, Grandmother turned to her granddaughter, knowing how Anya cared for the young girl. Glaring she yelled out the accusation. "You fool! Do you know what you've done?" Anya returned the glare at her grandmother, upset she had been accused of doing wrong. What wrong had she done? She had given the people what they wanted.

     "Without Vicky, you've just killed David!" Grandmother said, pointing an accusing finger at the other woman standing next to Anya, "She's dead thanks to that that, witch! She's having you do her dirty work. Look around you Anya. Use your sense at what she's caused you to change. The danger she placed us in."

     Bobbie heard the words Grandmother yelled trying to understand what she was saying. It occurred to her then. The boy David, wasn't he the same boy who had died in Lisa's arms. Her mouth dropped open when it became clear what was happening. Whatever Anya had done to Vick had affected not just Lisa and the boy, but also her family.

     Anya's own sense went out as she took in what was happening. What had once been a hub of traffic for diving, a new reality had taken place. Kids no longer stayed or took notice when they walked past the diving boards to go to class. Many girls didn't give it a second glance as they made their way around the park where a now overweight and older instructor mingled amongst the few students who decided to join.

     Several students tried to coax the few newcomers on how to perform a particular dive the older instructor was unable or willing to demonstrate. The instructor herself, took advantage of those kids as she looked forward to leave once her class was over, wanting only to lounge around once done. As far as she was concerned they did a fair job and saw no reason to interfere.

     Kids tried to keep their spirits up as they had once done for whom they considered a beloved coach and instructor. One who had managed to turn a much neglected school activity into something worthwhile. Now with a new school year underway and no new replacement, the principal made the harsh decision; cancel all intramural swim meets for girls and boys as the school committee felt it unfair to allow only the boys to compete.

     With an apparent unwillingness of many parents to allow a male coach to teach, let alone supervise, their daughters even for the interim, they ended up forgoing the whole event.

     The sound of a whistle grabbed the kids' attention when the instructor, Miss Nesmith, clapped her hands together. "Okay girls, that's enough", came the wheeze. Her voice carried a raspy sound, as if every breath she took was forced upward from her lungs, to find a passage way cleared out by either going through thin lips or her hawkish nose. If anything the woman was punctual, too punctual, especially when it came time to end the session and waved her hands to have them gather around.

     Bobbie had become so absorbed with the fight taking place she couldn't leave, fixated by the events. She'd never seen Anya or Grandmother fight so openly with each other. Standing next to Grandmother Bobbie noticed older girls dressed so disproportionately it bothered her. From when she had seen one before, Bobbie guessed it had to have been Greg, Anya's boyfriend, from the way she was talking to her. Bobbie watched enthralled as the girl reached forward towards Anya quickly snatching what appeared to be a necklace from around her neck, throwing it as far away as possible from them.

     Amidst all the commotion people scattered, searching for safety once the situation became more intense leaving only a few brave patrons to witness what took place next.

     From nowhere a fireball erupted towards Grandmother an unexpected gift Oksana hurled. Once it appeared Grandmother had been incinerated, Bobbie quickly took to ducking behind a bench just close enough to barely hear the exchanges between them.

     From her vantage point Grandmother appeared unscratched while Anya looked confused and dazed. Anya seemed to struggle between the verbal exchanges once Grandmother engaged the other woman. She watched the other girl, Greg, Anya's girlfriend now? Hurling herself between the two women Oksana turned and threw a magical blast towards them. Tears stung her eyes when both Greg and Anya crumbled to the ground either dead or badly hurt whereas Oksana returned her attention towards the elderly woman.

     Bobbie feared she was going to pee herself when the two mages began to fight in earnest. She didn't dare to peer around the bench for fear of possibly drawing attention to herself when the flash of magical lighting illuminated around her, having been tossed toward Grandmother only to have the elderly mage deflect the blast. For what seemed several tense minutes, Bobbie crouched behind the bench when more flashes took place with the sounds of thunder taking place on the frontlines of some battlefield.

     Each participant sent raged insults to the other until Bobbie heard the sound of a blood curdling scream. Risking a peek from around its edge both Anya and Oksana were faced each other. Whereas a visibly angry Anya stood, her arm outstretched, Bobbie watch the other woman bound and overtaken. Transfixed by the site, Oksana, became engulfed within a sphere of darkness, to disappear within a void as dark as coal. The void drew itself inward, growing smaller and smaller till nothing was left except a small black dot before it winked from existence, to vanished leaving no remnants behind. "Oh… my… gawd...," Bobbie slowly exclaimed as she found herself quivering uncontrollably like a leaf. She felt a warmness seep down her legs when Anya faced her direction only to flee inside the park.

     Shaking Bobbie dared not move from her spot frozen by fear. Minutes passed as she processed what she had just seen. When nothing more transpired she stood up from her shelter, to take a seat on the same bench as she ignored the dampness between her legs slowly taking in what had transpired, calming herself down. Around her chaos seemed to be the order as families scurried to the outskirts of the park, to watch a few women with children enter the ladies changing room, emerging a minute or so later with either a purse or bag in hand as they escorted their child away, quickly vacating the premises. She tried to compose herself having taken in such an epic battle.

     Not knowing how long she sat there the sounds of running feet caught her attention. Looking towards up from having bent over from feeling faint she watched Vick run towards the Overflow showers. Within seconds of his entering another wave took hold of her. She had never seen it happen, only heard of it when the overhead sign change before her from 'Men's Changing room" to 'Overflow #2'. Exiting from the building a young woman emerged, her clothes dripping wet.

     "Vicky!" Bobbie yelled rising from her sitting place, only to have Vicky either not hear or ignore her call running quickly inside in a dead run. Regular customers carried a look of confusion then calm when they continued inside.

     Bobbies own memories became jumbled when reality shifted once more from when she'd first came to the park. New memories began to emerge, crystalize within her mind from when she had first been on the tower, wanting to overwrite those from when she had seen the fight. Her thoughts traversed back to Lisa and Mel.

     "Mel! Lisa!" Bobbie nearly yelled. Bobbie found herself fighting the change. Subconsciously she fought to retain those sets of memories of the fight as she too took flight running back inside. She had to find both Lisa and Mel.

~o~O~o~

*******Lisa's perspective*******

     Reality wove itself once more with Vicky's return. Girls once more found themselves huddling around Lisa. None concerned, nor remembered either disappearance of Lisa or Miss Nesmith, an old and overweight woman replacement. Lisa appeared before them, ignorant, unaware of the activities which had transpired out front, continuing her discussion of various dives and techniques waiting to signal Mel to demonstrate from a nearby high dive.

     All heard the thunderous clap overhead causing Lisa's attention to be momentarily distracted in her instructions. Several students gave and audible grown when Lisa commented, "We may have to end class early girls," as she scanned the sky trying to phantom where the storm could be approaching before turning once more towards the high dive.

     She heard the auditable sounds of disappointment followed by 'What's Mel doing?' Lisa thought Mel was about to do one of her cannonball stunts, soaking them from boredom. All watched as Mel wavered, her body swaying precariously, tumbling forward away from the platform, listless, to land hard once her body made contact.

     "Melody!" Lisa nearly screamed in the split second having watched Mel fall, not waiting for her to surface from where she'd hit the water.

     Whistles shrilled their warnings having heard Lisa's whistle signaling a swimmer was in distress before diving into the water. Lisa, like several other practiced lifeguards, dove into the water, training taking control as she swam from where the body impacted. Staff knew time would be of the essence, locate those unconscious, before they descend towards the pools bottom, possibly towards small imbedded grates on the pools bottom covering powerful drainage tubes for the parks filtration system siphoning hundreds of gallons of water per minute. Strong pumps capable of holding one down, on top of the grates if they drew to close. A filtration system designed to continually run given the size of the parks pools.

     All lifeguards, herself included, were mandated to constantly train for such an event and although Mel had once volunteered, under the strictest of conditions, Lisa had quashed the gesture. Now here she was searching for her accomplished swimmer and daughter her thoughts nearing an uproar.

     Searching through the chlorinated water, Lisa's vision blurred as the waters chemicals stung her eyes. Steadfast she continued to search forced to resurface, begrudgingly, once her lungs demanded fresh air. Breaking the surface with a loud gasp Lisa quickly took in several deep breaths only to pause when another lifeguard, Melinda, called out to her, arms waving. With blurred eyes she barely made out the image of a small body being lifted either unconscious or limp from one end of the pools outer edge. Swimming towards them Lisa forced herself to remain calm. Don't panic, don't think it, she's safe, Lisa demanded, not daring or willing to give in to the worse as she swam to where the pair had exited along the pools edge.

     "How is she?" Lisa asked through gasps of air. To breath a small sigh of relief when Mel tried to sit up with Melinda's help.

     Melinda gave a worried look. "She tried to fight us off, thrashing, panic stricken," while she patted Mel on the back, helping to dislodge any water Mel could have inadvertently swallowed.

     Pulling her lithe body over the pools edge, Lisa reached out for several nearby towels from a waiting bin as she hurried over to her daughter.

     Shaking one loose she draped it over the shivering girl, kneeling by her side. Keeping her voice calm, "Mel, what happened honey? Are you okay?"

     Mel struggled to lift herself up even though she continued to cough up water only to sputter. "What happened?" through clenched teeth. Gone was the idea of seeing if perhaps a few friends could come over for a movie. Plans she had been discussing with her friends and mother of a possible Halloween party vanished from her thoughts not caring about such matters as she shivered, trying to answer such a simple question. None of it mattered to her now. Not now, not ever, not after….that experience.

     "Didn't you feel it? See it?" Mel asked. All wondered what she was talking about as Mel's face changed to fear with a faraway look, her body trembled uncontrollably. Mel's face slightly paled from shock and horror.

     Mel turned to Lisa, nearly hysterical, "Please tell me you're still my Mom. You have to be." Mel clenched tightly on Lisa's arm, fingers digging deep, ready to draw blood as she screamed out for others to hear, insistent "TELL ME YOU'RE MY MOTHER." Eyes unseeing, Mel turned her head to and fro. Unnoticed overhead, black clouds took form when a thunderous boom echoed throughout the park. It was quickly followed by a series of flashes that appeared to emanate from the park's entrance.

     Lisa, having lifted both her and the frenzied Mel up continued to talk to her in a soft soothing voice, "Let's go baby." She continued to rub Mel back, squeezing her shoulders in comfort, hoping to relieve the girls anguish as two headed towards the parks closest first aid station. Lisa struggled to keep her own discomfort down as pain slowly took hold from where Mel refused to loosen her iron grip. Thankfully Mel's fingernails were kept short else blood would have surly been drawn from the way she was clasping hold. Afterwards her arm would show the signs of being both sore and bruised from such abusive treatment.

     "Let's go over to the first aid station honey, have you checked out." Lisa said trying to reassure not just Mel, but those around her and herself.

     "Class is canceled. Melinda secure the towers," Lisa ordered. With a nod, none questioned Lisa's authority as several girls took to follow the pair as Mel was led away. Girls cleared a path pushing others away leaving onlookers to wonder what happened as they made their way towards the front of the park.

     As they strode away Lisa became acutely aware to how Mel walked. It seemed she was favoring her left leg, nearly dragging it as the pair made their way towards the front of the park. Continuously Mel whipped her head from side muttering, "It's not real," to herself as she took in everything around her.

     Within minutes from the fight Bobbie caught up to the pair just as they made their way towards the first aid station. "Is she okay Lisa?" Her concern genuine when she had ran beside them. Her voice conveyed a sense of worry from the way her memories played tricks with her. Seeing the distress in the two, Bobbie suspected Anya's fight had affected Mel more than Lisa in ways only she knew.

     Reaching out Bobbie grabbed hold of Mel hoping to help ease Lisa's burden. Cautiously Bobbie took to telling Lisa what she had seen, skipping how Vicky had been Vick.

     Lisa seemed disinterested in the youths prattle, not fully hearing what Bobbie was telling her till Bobbie, in a low voice, mentioned how Vicky exit out of the #2 showers dripping wet.

     The revelation caught Lisa's attention as with Mel's when she suddenly stiffened unmoving. Her earlier confrontation with Anya returned as she correlated the why of what happened to Vicky. She knew only boys and men entered the overflow showers unless one of the staff entered to do regular cleaning. Other than that there was no real reason to enter, not unless. Alarmed at the earlier threat Anya had given her. "No! She wouldn't." Mel gasped. "Vicky was going to marry Rob, she wasn't changing back. She told me she turned down the offer."

     Fresh memories overwhelmed her of a god forsaken place, a place devoid of substance in which she had been. Visualizations still fresh in her mind overpowered her. Too many events unfolded before her eyes, overwhelming her; preventing her from concentrating on any one single event.

     Thoughts ran ramped through Mel from when Anya had first started acting strange, not with just her, but others as well when she started hanging around with her new friend Oksana. How the changes started occurring after her first arrival. The sudden putting off of teaching and demonstrating of magic. Mel's wonder of why boys or men reacting differently when they exited the Men's showers. Their attitude of being some sort of slut or bimbo. This wasn't the Anya she remembered, knew. The slow changes leading to her own berating in front of that so called friend. The conviction her mom conveyed, convincing her Anya wouldn't 'willingly' do such an act and she believed her. Not after she had saved her life. Why would she be willing to casually throw it all away? Everything she had ever cared about. It was like she didn't care.

     "Fuck. Fuck…, fuck…, fuck." Mel uttered, letting the profanity stream forth. She'd been careful about the cursing, a promise she'd made when she first started living with her. Agitated, overwhelmed, Mel reverted to when all she'd ever heard was profanity from her tormentors. She cursed loudly not caring who heard as she fought to retain her bit of sanity, afraid her world was torn asunder, shattered by Anya's callus actions. Within, primal fear gripped hold as her mind foretold of an Anya willing to perform acts of cruelty for her own entertainment, both for her and her new found friend's pleasure. Anya wasn't acting all evil. No! Mel reasoned, Anya was evil. Swayed into the abyss of darkness she had been told to avoid.

     "Where do you think you're going?" Lisa asked alarmed when Mel unexpectedly pulled herself away from the two, to back away with a haunted look of pain from having once been beaten and tortured.

     Mel didn't answer, images streamed uncontrollably before her as fear took root. Fear of being imprisoned once more, overwhelming her senses as Anya's past indiscretions played before her, one whom she considered a friend.

     Part of her retreated within, seeking solace, unwilling to face another tormentor. She tried to rationalize what had happened through the haze only to give up when newer images surfaced. A place of darkness. A place of nothingness. Nothingness and… and… -voices. More specifically 'A' single voice. Locked in confusion and doubt her thoughts went rampant; Why had Anya humiliated me so? Had Anya done it to prove a point? A demonstration of her power over me?

     Moving away from them, Mel looked past her mother. If Anya touched the source, to succumb to the dark magic then that meant none of them was safe either. What if it was me she wanted? Not them. Mel reasoned. To take me away and turn me into some obedient slave? To imprison me just like Nathan did, to become confined until I relent, worse, to be just as evil.

     She'd been imprisoned to long, hurt too many times to willingly allow herself to be caught and tortured once more. Fingers moved subconsciously, imitating a pattern she'd observed Anya do many times before. Frightened beyond reason, fear took hold and like a scared rabbit Mel uttered the spell, not fully understanding it's meaning when cast.

     Lisa watched in dismay as her daughter, in the throes of panic, whisked herself away leaving them to wonder where she could have traveled.

     With Bobbie beside her, both stood in disbelief when Mel vanished before them. There had been none of the slight confusion others had felt when Mel worked her power of persuasion in having them imagine she was no longer present. Around them she heard a collective gasp.

     Grandmother was confident the spells Mel would be learning and shown were well beyond the scope of her abilities. Few children from Grandmothers village had demonstrated only the rudimentary beginnings of being able to perform the simplest forms of magic in their youth. Years of learning and practice would be required to learn the intricate art. Of course Grandmother said there had been a few exceptions. She and Anya had shown an aptitude for the mystic arts. None could be sure of Mel's true potential given the nature of how her pendant protected her of unwanted intrusions.

************

     Time passed with the blowing of warmth along the islands coastline. Gentle currents of air crossed across sandy shores. Small sand crabs skittered across the sands as crystal clear water gently lapped its turf with its warmth erasing of those tiny crustaceans imprints which roamed from place to place. Around its isolated shores dunes of sand formed further inland with sparse vegetation, their formation safe from where water lapped upon the loose sand taking grains of sand outwards.

     With its pristine water encircling the surrounding area the small island; one of many in a larger community, lay undistinguished among its few neighbors except for the bits of freshwater ponds, landlocked within. The island itself wasn't small when compared to its other brethren, nor was it larger than the others. A mere in-between of landmass, allowing flocking migrant birds to roost for one or several days as their wont, taking advantage of the numerous pools of freshwater, drinking their fill while dining on crabs or diving for fish available from its open waters before continuing their flight to more familiar grounds.

     In one singular moment, flocks of birds took to flight delivering squawks of outrage to a sudden intruder of their private habitat. Their cry's and beating of wings drowned her own pitched voice, as she gave her own cry of desperation to rid herself of some unseen demon when she suddenly appeared within their mists, hands clasped over ears from their insidious screeching's. She gave out a feeble cry, hoarse from the montage she continued to deliver. "It's not real! You hear me, it's not fucking real. Get the fuck way."

     Mel fought an inner desire to succumb, to give in to the battering array of images only she could see. Pools of water took form around her feet as clumps of snow cascaded off her cold and shivering body. Warm tropical air had yet to give her welcome relief as cold snow laid claim to her shivering body.

     Desperate in her desire to flee Mel unwittingly traveled to an area lacking warmth, an area filled with snow and ice; an arctic tundra. Mentally traumatized, ill prepared, her impulsive departure nearly proved her own downfall, hazardous, when she found herself bombarded by gusts of freezing wind and frigid snow, falling aimlessly into a snowdrift encompassing her body within its frigid temperatures. Hastily in a bit of clarity she tried to repeat the incantation. Through clattering of teeth she tried willing herself away. It had taken several attempts as she kept loosing focus battled both her unseen demons and bitter cold to accomplish the task. Within, part of her wanted to quit, to just give in and hide away from her ill fortune as she had once done as David.

     Now in the warmth of a tropical breeze, goose bumps formed from where snow melted from her skin. Fits of crying gave way to chattering teeth as she crumbled to the ground. Drawing herself tight she continued her fight to not succumb to an inner desire of shying away inside of herself. Curling up, her body sought both internal as well the external warmth of a mid-mornings sun to warm her shivering body. Ice glistened along strands of hair having frozen when Mel stumbled into the frigid temperature. Now with the sun's rays small crystals melted away dropping downwards absorbed into the ground around her, dripping to the ground like a melting Popsicle. Mel rocked slowly both physically and mentally before succumbing to her physical need of rest. Drowsy she'd give way towards a fitful slumber, a promise of haunting memories giving way towards unforgiving nightmares.


End Part 1

up
88 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What a chapter to a truly

What a chapter to a truly wonderful story line. This is really intense and well worth reading. I just hope and pray for Mel's and Lisa's sake that maybe Mel will go back and be able to help Grandmother and yes, even Anya restored Bikini Beach back to normal. What ever normal can be in that park.
Janice

ZOMG!!!

That was AWESOME mew!!! I hope to see more :D

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Awesome

Awesome story I love B B can't wait to see what you have for us in chapter 2 KUDOS

OHMYGOSH!

Great story Ibi it leaves a lot of questions now concerning temptations of Anya Part3. In that one when they catch Anya in her Condo and Vicky has asked Anya to make it a double wedding. Natalya makes a comment about the loser can have either Megan or Mel. Although it was said in teasing does this mean that Mel is back by then? Or Does Natty know nothing about it? Knowing BB this is not likely at all.

But this is going to add more to Mel's believe that she's damaged goods. Hopefully her friend Vicky will be of help to her but I'm sure you have all this worked out anyway. Thanks for another good story Ibi xx

keep it going

Renee_Heart2's picture

I watched to see how all of this gets fixed if it ever does. I hope grandmother can help Anya fix what she undid through dark magic. Unknowingly to Anya as the new Comer took over Anya & made her do her bidding.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Cliff-Hanger Ending

Daphne Xu's picture

This part ended very much on a cliff-hanger, and I'm really curious about what will happen next.

About two-thirds of this chapter was apparently about Mel's continuing life, as well as dealing with the haunting of her past. I almost forgot that it was going to involve Anya in "The Temptation of Anya" as she gradually turned evil. Anya's haunting by her newly created past may parallel Mel's experience. Will they be able to help each other cope and put it behind them? Will the teacher now become the student?

Here, thanks to Anya's reverting Vicky back to her original male identity, we have both David and Brad in graves next to their father. An all-points bulletin has been sent out, with the police chief warning citizens about the psychopathic Nathan. I actually imagine this going another way -- perhaps if the chief weren't friends with Grandmother: a distraught Nathan presented on television as grieving over the deaths of his two step-sons.

I noticed quite a few "Rouge Angles of Satin" errors here. These are errors that the spell-checker won't detect. (Of course, I've committed plenty of those myself: "election" for "electron" numerous times, for example.)

Here was a fun one: "Once more Mel glared regaining her composer".

Shortly before it was a more routine one: "Anya said we could stay only if we were quite."

In my experience, it doesn't matter how often one checks. One will miss numerous errors.

In one of the stories, Nathan was transformed into a baby, and put under a compulsion: any time he thinks something evil, he has to do something charitable. Having encountered numerous situations of values dissonance, I have to ask, "What's evil?" or "What's dark?" For Nathan, might disobedience be evil? "Ella Enchanted" featured the protagonist having been given the "gift" of obedience at her birth. Then there was the "obedience" experiment done in the sixties.

In "A Bikini Beach Summer", after his experience with the police, Peter was different: easily provoked to wrath, with angry, embittered, murderous thoughts about the police. "Bikini Beach" detected that as a darkness in him, confirming Mrs. Winstead and Ma's decision to have Bikini Beach change him to Ruth -- and later on, persuade Anya to agree to Ruth's lifetime membership upgrade. It confirmed the belief that Peter was the rapist-murderer. (Grandmother wasn't involved in that.)

-- Daphne Xu

Cliff hanger

Thanks for pointing out some of the more obscure errors. I'm sure there are more and so I claim the fifth along with a pint and a quart, (my choice of drink). No matter how many times I re-read the story I missed them.

The other half is written, but due to RL as they say I had put it aside. Not forgotten and now I'm getting the chance to put the second half through the wringer (did I get it write?) of editing.

As for what the 'What If's' I would suggest caution. We could go down that road of possibilities and never come to a satisfactory conclusion. Why? Because we all have our own ideas of possible outcomes. I just took one incident and as they say 'ran with it'. What if you had been changed years back and given the chance to return would you? What would change, how would it affect others and so on. In terms of what happened, I would say it was pretty lite given that it all reverted back to what it was once Vicky returned. I recall reading and seeing many stories that had been published dealing with the subject.

As for Nathan and Anya's compulsion I'll leave for a later date. I, personally, feel its up to the writer on how deep an effect it will play on the character. Would it be a cruel justice on identity death? Did Anya err when she did so given his nature? He was changed to someone less than a year old. Sure I could think of where he could 'try' to do harm but at what level did Anya constitute an evil thought? Also what about the psychological effect of now having to grow up female have on him over time. How assertive would his old personality be vs the development of her new one? In fact could it co-exist over the years given said compulsion? How much free will would he have and what about his new experiences of growing up differently? You're right on the aspects of Anya's spell. How much harm would he cause and what changes would he suffer through in those first few years?

That in itself would be an interesting story to consider. Could he still turn out to be a psychopath because schizophrenia set in? Anya's spell takes hold of the girl side but what if Nathan were to somehow dwell inside a hidden personality?

We could look at that later and see but as I said it would be up to the author to decide on such matters and others may not care for their interpretations.

What if's are a great way to create new and interesting stories. One must be cautious of such endeavors as they themselves could become lost in the possibilities as they try to predict each and every outcome.

Ibi