Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2625

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2625
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

When we got home Simon emerged from my study we hugged and kissed momentarily. “How’d it go?”

“We won two nil.”

“Oh good.”

“Danielle scored both.”

“Great, I think this calls for celebration.”

“What, Danni scoring goals?”

“How many has she scored now?”

“I’m not sure ten or a dozen, I think.”

“For part of a season, that’s pretty good going. So we’re going out to celebrate.”

It would save David having to cook unless he’s already started. Hang on, he was noticeable by his absence from the kitchen. “What about David?”

“What about him? I gave him the afternoon off.”

That’s my job not his. I felt like telling him but decided it wasn’t worth the aggro. “Pity you couldn’t make it to the match, she played really well—she’s a class act on a football pitch.”

“The meeting seemed interminable—but on a Sunday, they always do.”

“For the size of the bonus you get, darling, most people would work the odd Sunday.”

“More fool them then. Go and change.”

I sighed but went upstairs, showered and washed my hair—it would save time tomorrow, theoretically if not actually. I was doing my makeup when Trish and Livvie ran in to ask me to do her hair. I plaited it and she went off happy, I did the same for Livvie who was equally pleased. Meems appeared as was choosing some earrings and I had to plait her hair as well.

It turned out that Henry was at the new hotel on Hayling Island and wanted to show it off to us. He’d spoken with Simon and had agreed to send a minibus for us. I finished off my grooming and went to see if any of the older girls were coming. Sammi was, Julie and Phoebe decided they didn’t want to come and offered to sit Lizzie for me. They also agreed that they’d keep an eye on Kiki if Tom was coming with us. I really didn’t know.

A few moment’s enquiry and I discovered that not only was he coming but also he’d have understood about my explanation regarding it as an art form. We were almost ready to go, when Phoebe took me to one side and said, “Mummy, are you planning on adopting Lizzie at some point?”

Taken aback I didn’t have much time to think about it. “I hadn’t given it much thought recently. What d’you think about it, you’re her closest relative?”

“I think it would be a good idea and I know Neal and Glo would have approved it.”

“Okay, when I’ve got a few minutes I’ll speak to the solicitor, Mr Henstridge, about it, until then we’re her foster parents as you know. Why did you raise the matter?”

“She’s only in foster care with you, they could take her away at the drop of a hat. If you formally adopted her, they couldn’t and I’d feel happier.”

I hoped that was the reason but I’d give Henstridge a ring when I was in work next week and get him to make enquiries. “I’ll speak to the solicitor next week.”

“Thank you, Mummy.” We hugged and I noticed she was shivering slightly.

“Are you okay?” I asked her.

“Yeah, I just don’t want to lose her.”

“I don’t think that will happen.”

The minibus arrived and we had to curtail the conversation but it left me feeling there was something she hadn’t told me. No evidence, just a feeling. I dismissed it and started to marshal the girls to hurry the process of boarding the bus.

Sammi, Jacquie and Trish sat at the back of the bus all gabbling on about something electronic or other, Livvie and Meems sat near me and chattered incessantly and Danielle sat with her dad and they talked about football. Cate sat jabbering with Fiona while Puddin’ sat on Stella’s lap and talked to her mum. I was glad we had the bus, it would easily have taken three or four cars to get everyone on board. I looked around for Tom and he was sitting near the driver and they chatted as we went.

The new hotel had been recently refurbished, the bank had spent millions on it and it was our first viewing of the refurbishment. Henry and Monica were there as owners seeing what it was like to stay in and now we were all part of a test to see how they dealt with small parties.

The hotel management were as obsequious as the other place in Southsea. Whether they knew us or recognised the bus, I’ve no idea but they certainly knew us. Eventually we were delivered to the main dining room where Henry and Monica gave us an enthusiastic welcome. “Nice place you have here,” I dropped.

“Thank you, Lady Cameron,” said the Countess of Stanebury.

“You’re welcome,” I smiled. Fortunately,Livvie squeezed her way in between us before Monica could make any moves on me.

“What are you reading, to day, young lady?” Monica spoke to Danielle.

“Wuthering Wotsits,” said an uninterested teen.

“Seriously? The book by Anne Bronte?”

“Yes, Heathcliff and all that.” If she broke into Kate Bush’s interpretation, I’d kill her and toss her body off the bus.

We had a very pleasant repast, not as good as the other place nor as good as my home. David seems to know what I’m going say before I say it, spooky or what. However this time he got it wrong, or did he? He missed out on a free meal but then again, did he?”

It was a nice meal and i didn’t have to do the washing up, I didn’t even have to pay by doing the washing up for the next thirty years as we were Henry’s guests. Eventually, I was able to slip outside for a breath of air without Monica following me. The sun was shining but there was a brisk breeze of a cool nature. I managed to find a sunny spot sheltered from the wind and just sat and closed my eyes. In two or three minutes I suspect I was asleep. It took them a while to notice I was missing and a further hour to find me, by which time the sun had become far more hazy and I woke because I was getting cold.

“Are we that bad company?” asked a disappointed Henry.

“Not at all, pa in law, I just couldn’t stay awake and dropped off.”

“So I hear, well the rest of your family had a quick shufty over the place and seem very impressed.”

“I’m sure they are, it’s been very sensitively done,” as soon as I felt these words leave my mouth his chest began to swell with pride.

“Why thank you, Cathy. Did I tell you, you were my favourite daughter in law?”

“I think I may be the only one—officially any way.”

“Hush, don’t let them all know about the others,” he joked with me. “Your footballing daughter is something of a revelation. I knew she was good, but brilliant seems to be more apposite.”

“She’s a very talented young lady.”

“Remember, she’s now an England schoolgirl cap.”

“Not bad for a scrawny boy,” he said very quietly.

“She’s certainly not a scrawny girl,” I observed.

“Quite,” agreed Henry.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
248 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Darn Cathy and her second sight

littlerocksilver's picture

Obviously, something is cooking on the back burner and is about to boil over. I wonder what was going on at home, and why the sudden concern about adopting Lizzie.

Portia

Same thought...

Has Phoebe heard something?

Great part Ang, but shouldn't

Great part Ang, but shouldn't someone have corrected her in that Wuthering Heights was written by Emily Bronte.

At least

Danni is reading a classic, Although whether than was by choice remains to be seen...I suppose given how Danni was with her schooling when she was Danny i guess you could say her horizons have widened, Not that i can speak though, I have tried and failed to read some of the so called classics., And that is from someone who loves nothing more than having a good book in her hand...

Something seems amiss with Phoebe, Hopefully its nothing too serious and its just a case of Phoebe wanting to do what she feels is best for Lizzie, Cathy will no doubt be anxious to get to the root cause of whatever the problem is , All she needs to do is to get Phoebe to share her problem .... Sometimes though that is easier said than done.

Kirri

Cathy’s life calms but…

Rhona McCloud's picture

… is it my imagination or is everyone around Cathy coming to the boil. All but Kiki that is - thank goodness for spaniels as they can never hide anything except bones and shoes.

Rhona McCloud

I am hoping that Phoebe is

I am hoping that Phoebe is not badly sick just yet and that Cathy may be able to "Blue Light" her.
From the comment made regarding her shivering, is why I am making this assumption of some sort of illness, that along with Phoebe now urgent need to see her sister adopted as soon as possible. The only other thing I can think of for the shivering is that Phoebe quite possibly got herself hooked on some form of very bad drugs and that is her rationale regarding child protective services maybe coming after the child.
Guess I will just have to wait along with everyone else to see what our illustrious Authoress lays out for us.
Janice Lynn

Why does everyone assume

Sammi's picture

Why does everyone assume the worst for Phoebe?
She must be nearly 20 by now, and as other things have been going on we haven't heard a lot about what is going on in her life, what if all she is worried about is if she moves in with her S/O then will Lizzie be alright?
Phoebe is a bright girl and will know all of the trouble Cathy has had with the Social Services (Child Welfare), so would be worried for her only living relative, and while she is very capable she may not feel she is ready to be full time career for a toddler.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Another 'interim' chapter

Just a brief pause while we recover our metaphorical breaths before plunging into another maelstrom of adventure.
Still lovin' it.

Bev. x

bev_1.jpg

Misplaced comment. Sorry

Rhona McCloud's picture

This comment can be ignored or at best removed

Rhona McCloud