The Platinum Chef : A Tale of Delacroix Part XXIX(a)

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 87

Rach had an ache in her side, like she had laid down wrong on something. Uhh, what a…

The pain in her side was explained away as the misshapen lump of blue clay, Rach looked at it and…

Wait a minute, that dream. Her eyes fluttered open to a beautiful shade of blue; when she moved to get up, the blue moved with her. A quick glance at the mirror over her dresser confirmed her suspicions.

Fucking magic shit. Rach sighed as she remembered everything else.

Rach was blonde yesterday, but today her hair was a bright blue. Goddamit, I liked being blonde.

She got up and regarded the lump in her hand, it was vaguely human shaped. There was some finishing touches in that needed to be done, but Rach could clearly see the chubby human form within. Putting it on the counter, she looked into the mirror closely.

Her cheekbones had shifted, emphasizing her eyes just a little more. Pulling the hair away from her face, she looked inside. Whatever… what was her name?

Justice?

Whatever she had done, it looked to Rach like the color was permanent. A closer look revealed natural looking highlights and lowlights, unheard of in the outrageous shade that now crowned her.

“It’s way too early for this.”

Find Bobbie. Justice’s voice was so loud in Rach’s head, that she knew that she just had to do as she was told.

She was dressed and munching on a couple of toaster pastries while staring at the blue semifigure. Had to come from Justice.

Wiping the crumbs from her hands, she started to work the blue lump. Making it look like the figure in her head became a necessity…

A moral imperative. Something she had to do.

Like a stripper needs a dollar, or a junkie needs a vein.

She had to do this. Right now.

It was a pleasure to work the clay, feel it smoosh under her hands, its plasticized reality completely in her control. When she finished there was a vague familiarity to it. If it wasn’t for the tiny dimple lower down on one of the legs, it could have been anyone.

Because you love Faye. Rach quirked a smile.

It was true. And hey, the blue hair looks good. It was something Rach never would have done on her own; so much for the impulsivity of youth.

Rach was out the door with the figure in her hand, forgoing the coffee that morning.

First, she had to find Bobbie.

 ***

Tim woke up with a head full of cotton candy.

Candy floss?

It wasn’t like the wet cement that he had to deal with while Timmi.

God, that sounds so schizophrenic.

But it wasn’t. Bobbie understood, she always understood.

She understood everything.

He took a deep breath and looked under the covers, just to prove that Timmi was gone. A quick glance to the left revealed Bobbie, mouth wide open, and head tilted back. A smile formed as he glanced downward. She hadn’t changed. He could see her panties. Huh, those are cute. An old stiffness cut through the fog with a lightsaber made of hot, buttered Bobbie.

Timidly, he got up and headed for the shower…

But not before covering his best friend.

The girl that he loved.

Faye crept into his thoughts, not in the way they would have not long ago. There were thoughts of sorrow. The whole last week , everything that Timmi was.

It was his fault. If only he hadn’t tried to find out what she had done. Now he knew.

And I can’t unknow.

While the torrent of water washed off the dirt and grime of Vesuvius away, along with the last vestiges of Timmi’s makeup. He could only imagine what he must have looked like standing there in clothing that would have made him look twice not too long ago.

Standing there in the shower, Tim noticed that he was relaxed. He further noticed that he hadn’t thought about the bakery once. He knew that prom was the next day, and suddenly all of his plans caught up with him so fast that it made the blood rush in his ears.

I’m Tim Flaherty. I run a popular bakery. I have the best girlfriend in the world.

He smiled as he thought of Bobbie. The girl that changed him. In every way possible.

“Few impossible ones, too.”

Those memories would always be there, but it put things in perspective. He would always  owe Faye for that.

I know how I made you feel, Bobbie.  God, this kind of understanding was like ancient wisdom, handed down by mysterious rites and oral tradition.

…and he couldn’t tell anyone.

Oh, I understand girl things. See there was this time a boy was really nice to me when I was a girl…

“And then I fucked myself?” Yeah, that’ll fly.

“Jeez, Bobbie. If I didn’t love you…” So much… love you so much.

The last vestiges of cotton candy were gone in an instant when Tim remembered something important.

Prom.

More of his life beyond the past week hit him.

“The cake.”

“The hotel room.”

“Oh, shit.” Tim hurriedly scrubbed himself and got out of the shower and looked at his face in the mirror.

Timmi, the beautiful half Asian blonde bombshell was gone, leaving Tim’s face where it should have been.

“Hmmm. I guess I am cute.” He rubbed a hand over his jaw, it was completely smooth. God, that was a weird thought; but, he understood where it came from.

Pulling a shirt over his head, he reached for the gel he usually used. It was gone, replaced by some pink goop that seemed to be wax based.

Faye.

He gasped. “Faye.”

Timmi wasn’t gone, Faye carried on where she left off.

Tim deflated. Faye was like Timmi was. Gone was the snark and the most amazingly endearing put-downs, left with a fashion obsessed…

Bimbo.

He straightened. “Alright.” He said to the mirror.

“Nothing is fucked here, dude.”

“Woman up.”

 ***

Bobbie was warm, but her back ached slightly. A warmth on her forehead woke her, eyes fluttering open.

“Hey, you okay?”

Ignoring the pain, she sprung up and grabbed him.

“Tim!”

Bobbie’s tongue was in Tim’s mouth before any other words could come out. She pulled him onto her, cling on to him tightly.

“Mmmmphmmmm.”

Bobbie smiled and laughed as she released his mouth and nothing else.

“I’m so glad you’re back.”

“Me, too.” Tim slid away as she let go of the rest of him.

“But.” The smile faded. “Faye…”

She sighed. “I know. I’m not done yet.” Her smile went the way of his.

Tim knitted his eyebrows.

Bobbie grew solemn. “We have a lot to talk about, and…”

Tim held up a finger. “Later. You’ll be late for school. You missed enough this last week. Bakery’s due for a deep cleaning anyway.” He kissed her again.

“You can explain later.” Tim smiled. “I trust you.”

“You’re always looking out for me.” Tim chuckled as he disappeared out of the room and Bobbie removed the blanket, it smelled like him.

Bobbie regarded the outfit she had worn the previous night.

“Meh, screw it.” Bobbie went into the bathroom; she could get away with that outfit again.

It wasn’t like everyone hadn’t seen it already.

A quick rinse and…  Bobbie caught her reflection in the mirror. Something had changed, the blue streak had grown into a blue patch, overtaking the right side of her head and stretching into the right half of her bangs.

“What the…?” She grabbed at it and looked closer. Some strands were darker, some lighter.

“Well, saves from Frankie having to do it.” Pulling at her bangs, she realized that Kim was right, she was overdue for a trim. Especially with prom tomorrow…

Bobbie regarded the new color scheme and wondered how many of her fashion choices were truly hers. She shrugged it off and got dressed, feeling the need to get to school. It was sudden, right along with wondering how Rach was doing.

Rach, Bobbie thought. I still have to tell her.

“Bobbie.” Myka said. Bobbie looked at her stunned. She was wearing a solid colored top and jeans, both new. Her hair had been cut into a stylish choppy bob, and her skin appeared to be healthy and radiant. The blonde highlights made her think of Faye.

“Tim said you were here. There’s coffee, and…”

Bobbie smiled. “Betty, right?”

Myka laughed. “Yeah. It’s been nice to have adult company. C’mon, sit. I’ll give you a ride.”

Bobbie got the coffee and sat with Tim’s mom.

“Thought it was a good time for us to talk. He can get all sweaty.”

Bobbie smiled as she took that first sip. She closed her eyes for a moment.

Myka sipped. “Bobbie. I know that prom is tomorrow night.” She shook her head as she set the mug down. “Such an important night.”

“I remember when Jack asked me.”

Bobbie’s face fell.

“Yeah, we were high school sweethearts. Just like you two.”

“He really loves you. I can see it so clearly.”

“I love him too, Myka.”

“He’s a part of me.”

Myka reached out to take Bobbie’s hand.

“He’s a part of me, too.”

“I guess what I’m trying to say is…”

“Thank you.”

Bobbie tried to speak, but Myka was having none of it.

“You’re something else.” She sipped again while Bobbie listened. “Whatever it was you did to us… Tim, me…”

“Everyone you meet, you fix.”

“Not everyone.” Bobbie whispered, Faye still fresh in her mind.

“Oh, Bobbie.” She smiled. Myka’s demeanor changed. “Everyone fails; it’s what you learn from it.”

“But that won’t matter tonight.” She finished.

“Huh?”

Tim popped back in through the door. “Forgot my charger.”

“Girl’s night.” Myka continued “Everyone’s meeting here and…”

“I… I don’t understand.” Said Bobbie.

Tim stopped mid movement and laughed loudly.

Neither woman in the room understood what was so funny.

 ***

Rach hadn’t seen Bobbie yet. Girl has to be unpredictable now? It wasn’t until Lunch that she could be found. The new hair color seemed to be popular, garnering a few compliments. Seeing Bobbie was like seeing a beacon.

She sighed. “Let’s do this.”

Rach made her way to the table and took a breath. As she approached, she heard the standard chatter. From the conversation, it seemed that Bobbie’s hair had gotten a similar case of the blues. Just not as long a song.

“Hi.” She waved.

“Rach.” Bobbie said, happy that that nagging feeling was gone, yet dumbfounded over the sudden explosion of blue.

“Yeah. New color. Think we can talk?”

“Sure.” Rach waited for Bobbie to scoot out of the circular booth. “I’ll be right back.”

They were away.

“Rach, I needed to…”

“Justice.”

Bobbie gasped.

She pointed at her hair. “Didn’t think it an odd coincidence?”

Bobbie pointed at her own new azure growth. “Bit of a surprise here, too. Everyone’s back where they belong, but…”

“I know, she told me. I can live with it, it’s still her.”

“I love her,” Rach shrugged. “Just like you and Tim. He’ll put up with this bullshit just like I will.”

“But there’s more. She said you can explain.” She folded her arms.

“So explain.”

 ***

Bobbie was taken aback, but if Justice trusted her, then…

Begin at the beginning.

“Hi.” Bobbie extended her hand.

“My name was Robb.”

Rach looked at her quizzically. “Wha… huh? You too?”

Bobbie nodded. “I was a dumbass, got killed doing something really stupid.” Bobbie’s mouth was dry, telling someone else was always going to be traumatic. “Met Justice…”

Tim, I’m going to have to tell him at some point.

“Woke up like this. And an urge to bake.”

“Well, that explains this.” Rach fished out the blue statue. It was a little lumpy, but Bobbie could see its intent.

“I have no idea what this is for. I woke up with it.”

“Along with some weird shadowy stuff. Probably need my eyes checked.”

“No, that’s part of the whole Advocate thing. You’re seeing what people need, you’ll learn to read it, I did. Then you just…”

“Help.”

“That’s it?”

“It isn’t always easy. Sometimes you fail. I couldn’t save Kim in time, and Faye’s… well, I haven’t stopped the playback on that one yet.” Bobbie trailed off.

“Other than that? I don’t know, really. Travel around, get into adventures. Like Kane in Kung Fu.”

“Good.” Rach said. “Clear as mud. And that kiss of hers?”

Bobbie shrugged. “That… I just don’t know. It doesn’t affect us.”

“Anymore.” Rach said. “Remember, I got the full monty.”

Bobbie laughed. “What’s so funny?” Rach asked.”

“Movie thing.”

Blue hair moved, “Someday I’m gonna get it, right? Don’t laugh too hard. You got it, too. So I heard.”

“Yeah. It didn’t affect Luka, not sure why that…” Bobbie gasped. “Zoe. I can talk to her later and…”

“I’ll do it.” Rach sighed. “Faye’s my girlfriend. I’m the one that’s gonna have to deal with this. First official act?

Bobbie laughed as she turned to walk back. “Want to come sit with us? Apparently the moms have gotten together for a girls night.”

“Girl’s night?” Rach laughed. “Knowing that you used to be…”

Bobbie shrugged as they made their way back to the table. “A lot changed, but it turned out that I didn’t really like who I was anyway. I got to put it behind me, not many get a chance like this. Who am I to argue with Justice?” That shining smile played out again.

They got back to the table, Rach still holding the blue figure. Bobbie opted to sit next to Rach at the end.

“Oh, Wow.” Beth said. “It’s like a big one.”

“You made that? The ones I’ve been doing are tiny.” It was a little featureless, but getting the proportions right with something that size... “Can I see?”

“Yeah.” Rach chuckled. “It’s terrible, did it in a hurry, still working on it when…”

Beth picked it up and looked at it, she saw the small discoloration. A few seconds later, it began to fall apart. Moments later gray crumbles littered the table.

“Oh, oh… I… I’m sorry, Rach. I…” Beth stammered.

“It’s okay. Not too sure what it was anyway.” Rach turned to her chips.

“What are you guys doing for prom?” Rach asked, wondering what it was they talked about besides pastry.

“Kim and I are going, Bobbie and Tim are going…” Heather bit into the pickle spear.

“Steve’s taking me out.” Beth blushed. “Dinner and, I think he said a show.”

Beth’s eye twinkled slightly. “He really likes me.”

“He does.” Heather’s face went serious. “He talks about you a lot now. I’m happy about it, he hasn’t mentioned Dungeons and Dragons in months.” She waved a hand at Beth.

“Trust me, setting you two up may be the best thing I ever did.” She smiled, pleased with herself.

“I’m going out with Kurt, says he has a big night planned.” Amber giggled.

“I’m fucking taking the fucking coolest person.” Bella intoned. “Me.”

“How about you?” Bobbie asked.

She smiled. “I’m going with Faye.”

Rach ran a hand through her blue hair.

“What?” Rach leveled her gaze. “I’m worth it.”

Rach enjoyed eating with what she had come to think of as Bobbie’s Brigade.

Looks like I just joined up, too.

 ***

When the final bell rang, Rach was waiting for Bobbie.

“Need a ride?” Rach asked.

“Sure. Got anything planned?”

Rach flipped down the visor and studied herself in the mirror.

“Just heading to see Faye. She stay home?”

“Yeah.” Bobbie said. “After last night…”

Rach nodded, smirking. “Bitch, please. Like she needs an excuse to play hooky.” Rach started the engine and the speakers screamed their onslaught of dubstep madness. The SUV swung out of the parking lot and headed for the quiet section that housed Faye and Bobbie. They got to the door and entered quietly, noticing the emptiness of the living room.

It was odd for that time of the day. Both were surprised to see Faye backing out of Nick’s room quietly. Bobbie and Rach looked at each other with strange expressions.

Turning to see them Faye put a finger to her lips while the other hand moved her disheveled blonde hair to one side.

“He’s asleep.” Faye whispered; Bobbie cringed.

“What?” She said, raising her voice a little. “He keeps winning. At least it’ll keep me from being stuck with all the dishes, Miss ‘I have to dirty all the pans to boil water.’” Faye giggled.

“I’m gonna hit the shower. Bee Are Bee.” Rach studied Faye as she walked away.

“Unbelievable.” Bobbie said.

“Yeah, I know.” Rach said without taking her eyes off the hallway. “I didn’t think that her ass could get any better.”

“Now it’s spectacular.”

“I meant Nick.”

“Oh.” Rach stood to face Bobbie.

“From what you’ve told me, she can’t help it. Just means I’ll have to be close to her all the time. I mean, can’t let him…” She pointed to the bedroom door.

“… have all the fun.”

“I’ll get to have sex more,” she shrugged. “Works for me.”

Bobbie brought her eyebrows together.

“Hey, you have Tim, I have Faye. Great sex is the perk. I’ll just have to keep fucking Miss July.” She brought her fist down, snapping her fingers. “Darn.”

“Ha.”

“So, what?” Rach sat down. “I just help people?”

“Yeah, and you don’t even have to go out of your way to find them; they just kind of come to you. We just need to figure out what your thing is.”

“My thing?”

“Yeah. I bake, you…” Bobbie held out her hand as she drew out the last word.

“That statue thing was there when I woke up. I didn’t go to sleep with it. I don’t know what happened when… when…” Rach looked up and left trying to remember her name.

“Beth.”

“Yeah. It just fell apart. It was mostly dry. There’s no way it would just go to pieces like that.”

“Hmmm. I don’t know. We’ll have to figure it out.”

“But not today. Prom’s tomorrow.” Bobbie reminded.

Bobbie couldn’t suppress the smile. She was going, and she was going with Tim. Not Timmi and Bobbie, nor Tim with Bobbie in Faye’s body.

But Tim and Bobbie, finally in the right bodies and everything? The thought of him holding her close as he stumbled over his own feet made her lose presence for a second.

Rach caught the wistful look and broke into a laugh.

“Are you sure you were a dude?”

Bobbie shrugged. “A lot of things have happened since then. Honestly. If Justice ever came back to me and said she could make me Robb again…”

She shook her head. “Not a chance in the world.”

“Well, I asked Faye…. Well, Timmi… Fuck it. I asked her to the prom. At least I can get to the sex earlier.”

Bobbie laughed. Rach suddenly stopped.

“The things we put up with and do for love, right?”

“Yeah.” Bobbie snorted. “You have no idea.”

I have no idea?” Rach snorted back.

Bobbie had to laugh louder.

The door made noise several times sharply and Bobbie turned her attention to the noise.

“Open the door. We’re here to kidnap you dammit.” Bobbie recognized that voice.

Heather.

“Yeah, sis. We’ve got shit to do. Grab your stuff and let’s go.” That was Kim’s voice.

Bobbie opened the door.

“I know about his, you didn’t need to come get me…”

“Screw that.” Heather flopped out a hand. “This is an Army thing.”

“Go on.” Rachael said, developing a devious smile of her own. “We’re gonna get ready for prom our way. You deserve a break anyway. I get her back in the ultra girly flavor I originally ordered. Let’s see if ‘be careful what you wish for’ works in this case.”

Bobbie grabbed her things and wished Rachael luck.

“I needed a shower anyway, and with the water shortage and everything…”

“Have fun.” Bobbie said as she grabbed her overnight bag.

 ***

Sylvia sat with Myka and Betty, happy to finally get a chance to do this. A huge, crazy year of ups and downs. Meeting Bobbie, and by extension Roy and Beth, Betty, and… Well, nearly everyone in her life now. She still felt badly for kicking Bobbie out, part of her blamed herself for the things that had happened to Kim. But, Kim had snapped out of it; in fact, she had made a dramatic reversal. Sylvia knew in her heart of hearts that Bobbie had something to do with it.

When Heather and Kim arrived with Bobbie, there were warm hugs of greeting all around. The noise brought Tim out of his bedroom.

“Oh, good.” Heather said. “Get your stuff and come on. You can’t see this.”

Tim ran a hand over his face. “What? It’s not like we’re getting married. That doesn’t work for prom.”

“I don’t believe I gave you a choice, mister.” Heather pointed as her eyes narrowed.

Tim laughed. “Fine.” He left again, vanishing into his room one more time.

They soon left, leaving Bobbie alone with all the moms. It was oddly comfortable now, feeling like she was part of some ancient circle of wise women.

“Alright, Bobbie. I guess I get to practice with you.” Sylvia smiled. “I have a year or so before I’m gonna have to do this for Kim.”

“Mom.” Kim shook her head.

“You’re still my little girl.”

Kim’s pale skin flushed red.

“Okay.” Tim had pulled a different shirt on and had a garment bag hooked by a finger and resting on his back. “I’m … uh… totes ready.”

Kim shot an alarmed look at him, only to see him smiling. “Asshole.” She mouthed at him.

“Heather.” Betty said.

“Yeah, mom?”

“Go easy on him.”

“I could say the same to you, although it wouldn’t matter much. I taught Bobbie well.”

Bobbie opened her mouth to speak, but Heather cut her off. “Hey, that blue streak wasn’t my idea. And quite frankly, I’m a little angry at myself for not thinking of it.” She ran a hand through the scarlet bit that she had recently acquired. “And I approve of the nose ring. See? even I can learn something sometimes, I guess.”

Kim grabbed Tim and began to forcefully push him out of the room while Tim laughed louder.

“Alright, alright. I’m going, I’m going.”

Tim and the two girls left, leaving Bobbie with a group of mothers.

This is the most parenting I’ve seen in one room… well, ever.

“Bobbie.” Myka began. “This was my idea. I can’t ever say thanks enough. For Tim, the bakery.”

“…for me.”

“Or me. Bobbie…” Sylvia interrupted. “I really wish you would come back.”

“If I have to eat one more frozen pot pie.”

Sylvia’s darkness snapped into focus as Bobbie swept her sight across the room. Myka’s darkness had subsided to what could be considered regular backscatter. Betty was similarly dull, despite her brightly colored clothing.

But Sylvia’s? Well, that told a different story. Bobbie could see that she blamed herself for so much. Coming home would mean so much to her, but can I?

The whole situation with Faye was just… unworkable.

But she didn’t feel that she could just leave them to stew.

It’s a small town, not like you can’t just stop by. Something in Sylvia’s darkness caught her eye, the way one shade of gray erupted into a hue of grey.

I don’t even see the symbols anymore. I just see.. blonde, brunette, redhead…

Sylvia wanted her to come home, needed her to come home.

Bobbie went to her mother and hugged her. “Of course I’ll come back.”

Bobbie stayed quiet; not by choice, but because the Sylvia’s hug threatened to crush her ribcage.

“Saturday okay?”

“Sure, no problem.” Sylvia’s stunned darkness had adjusted itself, evening out into tiny ripples like those of a zen garden.

“Alright, you two.” Betty’s voice cut through the haze of emotion. “We’re here to make sure she’s ready for tomorrow.”

“Heather made me a dress, and…”

“I know.” Betty continued. “It’s hanging in the back. Just a few finishing touches.” She  pointed to her laptop.”

“I have an appointment with Frankie tomorrow.” Bobbie offered, her she was, people fussing over her again.

“Bobbie, if I can make costumes for a thousand trolluks, then I can damn well make sure those pictures last forever.”

Wow, Heather is her mother’s daughter.

“I’ve got dinner. Who’s up for Chinese?”

There was a general murmur of approval as Betty fired up her laptop, and Myka made the call. Sylvia sat next to Bobbie, feeling more positive about having her around than ever.

 ***

Tim sat in the back of the car, feeling a little giddy. That feeling Timmi had when she went shopping.

“Prom’s tomorrow, and you two are gonna do this right. Kim and I talked about it, and there’s no way anyone’s outdressing you two tomorrow.”

She turned around and looked over her sunglasses.

“Anyone. Not even us.”

“Speak for yourself.” Kim said, earning a laugh from everyone in the car.

Heather made Tim enter Shear Esctasy. When Heather had reshuffled Tim from stoner grunge to his current clean cut appearance it was at a normal barbershop. He had protested at first, but memories of Timmi made him acquiesce.  Besides, Heather made one hell of a compelling case.

“I don’t have time to take care of everyone this time.” She turned to Kim. “I just wanna get ready with my best girl.”

“Jake.” Kim said, rolling her eyes heavily beneath her sculpted eyebrows.

“Frankie takes care of weddings and stuff all the time, you’re in good hands.”

Tim shrugged, Maybe it’ll still be relaxing. There was a chuckle as he thought of the two of the having a spa day.

Spa day? Why not? He made a mental note to set that up someday. The life of Timmi had shown him the truth of what everyone kept telling him.

You work too hard. Tim didn’t think so, working hard was what was necessary. He’d spent too long not working hard.

Working hard or hardly working?

And then there was Bobbie. It had become just as much about her as him, them…

…everyone.

It wasn’t like it was a chore, either. Seriously, hang out with awesome people and churn out fantastic edible art. But, not taking a break to appreciate what he was building would eventually take its toll.

All work and no play make Tim something something something…

 ***

“I never could get the hang of these damn things.” Betty said, prompting an odd look from Bobbie.

“Me neither.” Myka said, laughing as she rose to get forks.

The containers of Chicken and Bamboo shoots and Kung Pao shrimp sat next to the Lo Mein and the fried rice. The Mongolian Beef and the  Moo Goo Gai Pan sat off to the side, next to the stack of paper plates.  Some magazines sat next to Betty’s laptop, displaying the top prom looks of the last half century.

Bobbie deftly moved the chopsticks towards her mouth, carrying its precious cargo of rice and vegetables.

“So, see anything you like?” Betty asked, noodles dangling from her fork. “When I was in high school, the contest seemed to be to dress as slutty as you could with hair that took up the rest of the picture. God, my first driver’s license…” She laughed before finally emptying the tines of their contents.

“Now I see where Heather gets it from.” Sylvia said, crunching into  a combination of peanut and hot pepper.

Bobbie set her chopsticks down and looked at the magazine. “I… “ She knitted her brows.

“Never really thought about it. Prom was never really something I thought about.”

Myka snorted. “Like Tim was gonna let you get off that easily. His dad was the same way. He took me to dinner at the restaurant he got hired on in. He was so nervous.” Her eyes got distant.

“Until he saw that the flambé was being overdone.” She started to laugh. “He got up, and calmly took it from the intern he had doing it.”

Bobbie pictured Tim doing such a thing. He’d probably make some funny Backdraft reference and move on.

“He made a Towering Inferno reference and did one real quick. Then he came back and sat with an apology.”

“Then he looked at me lovingly and calmly said. ‘Don’t order the Bananas Foster.”

Bobbie laughed harder than the rest. Food may be universal, but not everyone ‘gets it’.

“Bobbie.” Betty reassured. “You’re gonna remember this night forever. From what Myka tells me and…” She waved her had around. “Everyone else says. You deserve a night.”

“This looks cute.” Sylvia offered, pointing to a picture of a redhead whose hair had been twisted…braided…woven…? Into an opened flower, sitting just so off to one side of the model’s head.

“I think this style for the eyes, your eyes are just so blue. And the way you work blue into your everyday…”

“Heather.” Bobbie said.

“Figures.” Betty said.

 ***

Tim was completely relaxed, nearly every muscle relaxed as the custom mixed shaving foam was scraped away from his throat.  When the chair was raised, he snapped to.

How long was I in there? Tim noticed that being in his head had that timeless quality, no way to know how long  it had been.

“All done.”

Tim looked at his face in the mirror. The vague rumblings of the mustache Faye had left him with were gone, his face smooth from every angle.

“Wow, can’t ever get that close.”

“It’s better if someone else  does it anyway.” Frankie said. “Now, I’m gonna see your girlfriend tomorrow right?” Her face twisted into one of mock horror.

“She’s not trimming her own bangs now, is she?” Frankie looked over her shoulder at Heather.

“No,” Heather said. “But I think she’s doing the color herself. Streak’s a little bigger, but it almost looks natural. I think you’d be proud.”

“She’ll be here tomorrow. Minimum day. Prep’s gonna take hours. You know how prom is.” Kim screwed a cigarette into the holder before heading outside to watch this week’s exciting episode of Dipshit Skate Punks as they fell all over themselves trying to impress anyone unlucky enough to be passing by. She could see the fearful flush of their pheromones from there. She shook her head as she donned her sunglasses.

Careful what you wish for, boys. Kim touched the flame to the end of her cigarette.

Tim came outside and squinted against the bright afternoon.

“Wow.” Kim said, looking at Heather through the window. “Just barely get your dick back and you’re in the salon already?”

Tim looked down. “I remember everything, you know? I… I wanted to say thanks.”

Kim exhaled. “For what? That whole…”

Tim looked up sharply. “No.” His voice was louder. Was it deeper too?

“Jesus. First Bobbie saves me, then watches over me like…”

Kimster Dragstrip cut that shit off immediately. “Like she loves you?” Arms spread, mouth open. “Did the stupid stay?”

“And you all went back to see Roxx.”

Kim stuck the end of the cigarette holder in her mouth. “It’s just Roxx. They have history. We both do.”

“Huh? History?”

Kim shook her head as she raised the sunglasses. She knew that his curiosity was what triggered the events that brought Timmi into the world.

“Leave this one alone, huh? I don’t wanna do that again”

Tim ran his hand over his face, the smoothness was familiar… echoes of Timmi.

“Can it just be enough that you two found each other? Seriously. Look at it this way. You found your purpose and your partner at what? Sixteen, seventeen?”

“Eighteen in July.”

“There you go.”  Kim reached forward and clapped a hand on his shoulder. “Do you have any idea how lucky you are? So there was some weird bullshit in there.”

“Weird?” Tim exploded.“I was a girl…” He looked around and lowered his voice. “I sucked my own dick.”

Kim laughed. “And they say that you’d never leave the house.”

Kim waved a hand. “So what? Roxx ate me out, I ate Heather out… Circle of life and shit. You could walk away from everything. You could, and I wouldn’t fault you. Hell, I’d take you out for a spin.”

Tim blushed. Jeez, is this the same girl from last summer?

“Point is, whatever it is that happens. You two have each other, and the bakery. You’ve proved to each other and the fucking universe that you’re in this for the long haul. There could be something better out there.”

 

“But you don’t know,” Kim removed the cigarette from its holder and ground it out under her heel. “And you can’t know.”

“It’s up to you.” She inhaled hard.

Heather joined them and studied Tim in the light for the first time.

“Hands.” She demanded.

Tim stuck his hands out. Heather’s eyes popped up to meet his. “You had a manicure?”

“Uh…. Yeah. Butter, sugar, chocolate….” He stammered.

“Well, saves us a stop. My house. Final fitting on that suit, Tie check. And the corsage…”

“Ordered one.” Tim said, looking as puzzled as Timmi often did. Kim noticed and laughed.

“Cancel it. Got you covered. Trust me.”

Tim smiled as he reached the car. “How can I not?”

 ***

“I can’t believe how clear your skin is, Bobbie.” Betty was helping with the herb mint facial mask. She had already exfoliated and was resigned to listening to a reggae arrangement of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon.

 In another life, I would have been so baked. The relaxation and the presence of mind together beat being blitzed on one or more mind altering substances.

I really don’t need it anymore.

Face it, doll. You don’t want it, either. Robb’s voice flitted in and out like an old AM station.

Do you?

“Everything groovy, Bobbie?” Betty asked. “I’m sure you’ve had more entertaining evenings than hanging around a bunch of moms.”

Bobbie couldn’t see anything through the cucumber slices, but was prescient enough to feel all the positivity in the room. No pastry, no Advocate abilities.

Just true appreciation.

“I think it’s time to grab the ice cream.” Sylvia said. As Betty helped Myka  with her masque removal.

Bobbie wiped away the watery remnants of the cucumber slices and peeled away the vellum like substance.

“Got four flavors here. Hoped I was able to get something for everyone. There’s Monkey Madness; Aww, Fudge, Chunky Charlie, and Peppermint Passion.”

“Ooh.” Bobbie perked up. “Peppermint Passion.”

“That was Robert’s favorite. Good god, why couldn’t he meet you instead of that… that…”

“Really?” Bobbie played it off, “That’s weird.”

Bobbie took a spoon and dug in. The first taste had a familiarity, like it was the one thing that hadn’t changed. It was grounding somehow, both lives seemed to overlap as she crunched candy pieces between her teeth.

There was a file folder filled with pictures and diagrams. The dress had a final fitting, which was unchanged. Every aspect about the various pieces of Bobbie’s prom look had been compiled into a stack that looked like Steve Austin was about to become the bionic woman.

We have the tools, we have the technology.

 Betty flopped the folder closed. “You are going to have to tell me how in the hell you keep that figure. Don’t you eat some of the profits?”

Bobbie laughed through a mouthful of pink, minty bliss.

“Tim’s just so lucky to have you.” Sylvia said, spooning the Chunky Charlie into her mouth, crunching a pretzel piece.

“Everyone is.” Myka said, swallowing a fudgy spoonful.

She laughed. “My son went from getting baked, to baking.  We’re all glad you came along.”

“Only thing. I do have a request for the bakery. I was looking at the menu, and there’s one thing missing.”

“What’s that?”

Myka looked at Bobbie and shook her head with a knowing look.

“Angel food.”

Bobbie laughed loudly, the laugh died to a giggle that resurfaced off and on for the rest of the night. When she got back to Faye’s house, it was quiet. She somehow knew that Faye was with Rach, Nick’s absence was easily explained away with finals looming large in his mind on top of all kinds of other magical related things.

 ***

Tim entered the living room to see his mom sitting there, waiting for him.

“It was a good night. You look sharp.”

“Thanks.”

“Glad you finally got rid of the… well, calling it a mustache is giving it a lot of credit.”

“You look good, too.”

“Yeah. Like mother, like daughter I guess.”

Tim laughed. “That’s the Sweet women for you.”

“Big night tomorrow?”

“Yeah.” Kim’s words bounced off the inside of his skull. Whatever happens, Bobbie’s worth it.

“Look at you, all grown up.” Myka smiled. “You better get to bed. Tomorrow you’re gonna spend all this time getting ready.” The smile became a laugh.

“Tell her how you feel.” The laugh died down. “Tell her everything.”

“I know, mom.” Tim’s face looked wizened despite its youthful appearance.

“She’ll never wonder.”

“Ever.” Let’s see how long this long haul is.

Chapter 87

Mary hadn’t slept, not like that was anything new. She liked how she didn’t need to sleep or eat. She hated how it burned when she snorted it.

The house she and her small band of daylight avoiders had been rebuilt several times. Right now it was impossible to travel from the kitchen to the bathroom without going outside. The owner had hung the drywall over the door jamb. There was also the dutched window and the manual pull drain in the tub made from fishing twine and a ball of epoxy putty and duct tape.

They can fix anything, can’t they.

She liked the way it let her be creative, even there was nothing to work with.

Ever since Roxx left her… Fuck her anyway, snobby bitch. Dumping her for no good reason, then just locking her out of the life she had.

It had been the end of the world.

No, strike that, the end of the known world. She just walked away.

If she can do it, then I can do it too.

Her mom was yelling about things, but Mary didn’t care. She just wanted the next hit.

She had found it in the form of a few parties she had wandered into. Mary had some money, but she had burned through that after a couple of weeks.

The group she found herself with was full of cool people, she couldn’t imagine going anywhere else.  They cared enough to ask how she was doing, the other girls were also nice.

She liked having a shoulder to cry on.

Her hair was a little greasy, as was her skin. She was looking forward to the shower.

If that shitty hot water heater ever gets hot again after that last shower.

 ***

Rach was on her second cup of coffee. She got up early, having dropped Faye off late. The lump of modeling clay in her hands was blue. Which was odd, considering that she could have sworn that it had been grey when she started. This figure was thinner, it was riddled with discolorations. How had those gotten in there?

She could see the shapes hidden in the clay, but this one wasn’t as clear as the other one had been. Sure the shape had been simpler this time, but it was just so hard to get right. Looking at her phone, she realized that she wouldn’t make any more progress today. The figure had to back on her shelf. There would be time to figure it out later.

But not today. Today was Prom, and she was going with Faye.

Faye was still Faye, and she still loved Rach.

And for all the stupidity required…

Rach loved Faye back.

Rach never had gone in for the stereotypical girl thing, but Prom held all sorts of romantic visions in her head. She smiled.

It’s not the time you have, but who you spend it with.

 ***

Beth woke to an itch on her ankle. It had been doing that off and on all night. Realizing that she had to get up for school, she swung her legs to the ground and started scratching.

And scratching.

And scratching.

She felt crisp flesh pull away and lodge its irregular shape beneath her nails. Her gaze jerked downward, expecting to see a bloody scratch surrounded by ragged bits of jerky.

But it wasn’t.

The scar tissue left behind from Kim’s failed intervention… had it really failed? It was gone, like completely. I guess it worked. Heather always knew stuff like that. It was this moment, added to many others that made her appreciate her life more and more. It seemed like all the hard times were paying off. Such a small thing to be so happy about, but it seemed like it was all that was left.

She selected the red dress with the polka dots and started to get ready for the short day at school, followed by the long night making little fondant figures of the students with Steve. It was to be a good day.

 ***

Kurt was looking at the paper that had all of his plans for his evening with Amber. Here he was, a little nervous. Putting dealing behind him seemed easy. People still called him looking for shit, but he shunted them off to everyone else. The guitar lessons had been coming along, his focus had sharpened.

It was weird how he didn’t miss it all that much. He was sure he’d do it again. Like at a party or something.

He just hoped that Tim had given good advice. It was weird, he never thought Tim would be giving him advice.

But hey; he managed to get with Bobbie , open a bakery…

not bad for a high school dropout.

“Not bad at all.” He grabbed his keys and took a deep breath. Just another day, stop being nervous.

Christ, he smiled as he left.

Now you sound like Tim.

 ***

Faye got up late, she knew Bobbie got home later. Figuring that she found another party to suck all the fun out of, she got up and showered. She exited only to find Bobbie smiling in front of the stove. Steaming mug in one hand and freehand flipping pancakes with the other.

“Figured breakfast would be good. Big day today.” That smile was too bright by an order of magnitude. “Rach is going to be by to pick you up later?” Bobbie had plated up some breakfast and had the coffee poured before Faye sat down.

Faye shrugged. “I’m only going because Timmi said she would. Doesn’t seem fair.”

That malevolent grin came back, “But I’m getting laid tonight. You?” Faye drowned her pancakes with maple syrup.

Bobbie caught the last pancake in the pan and flashed a different sort of smile.

One that belied evil thoughts, but not too evil.

“Maybe.”

“Good. You need it. Besides it’ll be the first time with him in the right bodies and stuff, right?”

Bobbie’s smile didn’t fade as it disappeared behind a coffee mug, one that had a hand proudly displaying an extended middle finger.

Faye laughed out loud, pancake and sausage visible.

“What.” Bobbie said, lowering the mug.

With a hand over her mouth, Faye used her fork to point downwards. Bobbie lifted the cup and saw the bottom graphic at the first time, and offered a surprise laugh.

Faye shook her head in the negative. “You can’t even be a smartass right.”

Bobbie shrugged. Nick appeared, rubbing the back of his neck.

“Hi, Nick.” Faye said sexily as she ate the last of her sausage seductively.

“Morning, Faye.”

A honking horn broke Faye away from her empty plate. She downed her coffee and was out the door.

“See ya soon. Don’t wait up, though. Rach and I are gonna have fun tonight.”

“Byeee, Niiick.” Faye said over a shoulder as she wiggled away.

After the door had closed. Nick looked up at Bobbie with eyes that carried a small sadness a long way.

“Bobbie?”

She could see the darkness that surrounded him. He carried so much. His love for his friend, whatever form she took was and always would be her friend.

“She slept in there, you know?” Nick asked, eyes red. He hadn’t slept much. Bobbie paled, remembering what her little interlude with him had done. How much worse it must be now.

A weak smile tinged with sadness illuminated his face slightly. “Always dreamed of having a night with a Playmate.”

He looked into his Aperture Industries mug.

“The cake is a lie.” He whispered.

“She’s going to get better.” Bobbie said, sliding a plate his way. “I promise that I won’t stop trying until…” She trailed off.

“Me neither.” He said solemnly.

“I’m going to be moving back in at home.”

Nick looked up, his sort of sad expression blew into a full blown look of hurt. He stood and gave her a brotherly hug.

“I’m glad you stayed with us this long, the stuff that happens around here…” His voice dopplered away as the sound slowly died.

Bobbie  hugged back. “Hey, I’m not going off to another planet. It’s not like you won’t see me again.”

“I know. Just…” Nick looked down. “Things are weird around here.”

“You are an island of reality in an ocean of diarrhea.”

Bobbie’s laughter was loud and infectious, claiming Nick.

“So, prom’s tonight?”

“Yeah.”

“Have a good night, really.”

“I made some…”

“I’ll figure it out.” Nick said, sitting to his plate. “I’ll get the dishes.”

“She finally beat you?” Bobbie’s face displayed shock.

The sad face returned. “In a manner of speaking.”

 ***

The lack of education happening that day would have been appalling.

But, it was prom. The biggest day on the Delacroix social calendar.

Everyone breezed through the day, sitting through shortened classes. Teachers reading essays and book reports, waiting for the bell to ring just like the students they used to be. Chairs were fidgeted in, doodles were made.

The lunch bell finally rang, and Rach got up and went to find Faye.

The blonde hair and the pink clothes made her easy to spot. The staring boys made it easier to see where she had gone. Finding her way to Mr. Agee’s math class, Rach found her.

Faye was leaving the classroom, running a hand through her hair and wearing a smile.

“Hey, babe.” Rach started. “What’s up?”

“Oh, nothing.” Faye said nonchalantly. “Just guaranteeing my grade in math.”

Rach didn’t know why, but it sounded ominous.

“Alright.” The smile came out, shining against her blue hair.

“Let’s blow this pop stand.”

Rach sighed. You’re lucky I love you.

“C’mon, Faye-fay. I wanna keep that kiss of yours for myself.

Faye giggled. “I thought you didn’t like it?”

“It was a little weird.” Rach waved some. “I looked like…”

“Like what?” Faye stopped walking while Rach was ahead, her expression the perfect balance of angry pout and sexy smolder.

Fuck. “Sexy?”

“That’s better.”

 ***

 Bobbie was out at the parking lot with her group of friends. Happy talking and laughing, stories about their plans for the evening. So much had led to this, it felt like the beginning of something big. Much like everything else had.

Everything Bobbie had gone through since the previous summer. Learning how to be who she was now. Meeting all her new friends.

And Tim.

The joy she got from helping people was just as enjoyable as any high she had ever had as Robb.

And being with Tim? Why couldn’t I have met Timmi back then?

Seemed to Bobbie that the universe liked everybody just where they were now.

“Beth.” Heather started. “You haven’t worn that dress in a while. What’s….?”

Beth’s head split into a broad grin. “That stuff worked, I guess. “ Beth presented an ankle.

Her scar was gone. Completely, like it had never been.

“Never seen it work that well.” Heather studied the ankle.

“Well, I for one am glad that it helped. Scar was my fault anyway.”

Beth shook her head, hair bouncing to one side than the other. “Doesn’t matter. We’re all just glad you’re okay.”

Kim smiled in a way that Bobbie could see the little girl that had been Robb’s sister.

“Thanks, Beth.” Kim’s face was suddenly flooded with the innocence, making it look all the more seductive.

“I guess that’s it.” Heather said. “Ready, Bobbie?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be.”

“Yeah. The Winter Ball doesn’t require the kind of preparations that prom does.”

“But we’ll all look great. Right, Heather?” Amber spoke up.

“Don’t we always?”

Heather entered her car, signaling the others to split off into their individual traveling groups. “My house, hour and a half. Once we get back from Frankie’s.” She rapped the side panel of the driver’s door hard a couple of times before engaging the transmission.

 ***

“Hi, Bobbie.”Frankie said. “Been a while.”

“Yeah. Busy, busy.”

“Well, you have that big cake coming up, graduation.” Frankie smiled warmly. Bobbie looked at her confused.

“Tim, he was here last night.”

Bobbie heard ‘Timmi was here last night’ and her legs nearly gave way. Kim rushed in.

“Yeah.” Kim said, making sure that gravity didn’t finish its evil work. “We brought him last night.” The subtle emphasis was lost on both Heather and Frankie as Bobbie righted herself.

Bobbie was thankful to get into the chair. Heather stopped her.

“Hey, space cadet. Put this on first.” Heather had the garment bag in her hands, holding it out.

Bobbie accepted the item and heard the rustle of fabric inside it.

Weird glands fluttered serotonin and dopamine into her body as she swelled and filled.

It was happening. Right here…

Right now.

Bobbie was in the bathroom, undressing and looking inside the package.

That’s not supposed to be in here.

It was… Lingerie?

A piece of paper was stuck to the top of the hanger.

New designs, lemme know how it is… H.

There was the prom dress in all its glory. Of course it was blue, Bobbie mused. It was beautiful. Classical, elegant style given a modern touch. Spiky spirals of white stretched across the top of the bodice and made a ninety degree angle that followed the seam all the way to the bottom of the hem.

Sliding into it like Excalibur into the stone, Bobbie felt connected.

Where were you a year ago?

It was always Heather, her guru to all things feminine.

And Kim…

And… well… everyone. Spaced out, high. Who said there are no second chances?

Thanks, Justice.

With the dress on, Bobbie looked into the mirror.  Like everything Heather made, it was beautiful and the quality could be experienced rather than seen.

It was here, it was finally here. And she was going to share it with Tim, so many things in the way.

But not tonight; Kim was okay, Tim was himself.

There was still the Faye conundrum, but she was confident that she would figure it out with the help of her new…

Helper, friend, sidekick? Whatever Rach was to be to Bobbie, she was just glad that Justice saw that it was more than a one girl job.

Girl…

Abso-fucking-lutely. The giddy thrill of seeing herself in that dress, Tim tripping all over himself and her… God, he’s a terrible dancer.

Those questions would wait for another time as Bobbie left the bathroom and walked towards the three occupants of the room.

“Damn.” Kim said.

Heather looked at her girlfriend. “You just saw it last night.”

“Yeah, and it’s still impressive. Take the compliment, bitch.” Kim laughed as she bumped her hip against Heather’s. Laughter erupted to envy Betty and Wilma.

Bobbie smoothed the dress under her legs as she got into the chair. The trim of her bangs only took a couple of minutes. Frankie’s reaction to Bobbie’s expanded blue peek-a-boo was unexpected.

“Who did this? You, Heather?”

Heather pointed at herself. “Me? No. I wish. Looks good.” Heather straightened. “I’m the style expert here, honey.”

“It’s just that it looks natural. It goes all the way to the roots, and there’s natural looking highlights and lowlights in there, and it….”

“It’s fantastic work. Who did it? I’ve gotta know.”

“Just a friend of mine. She left this morning.” Bobbie smiled at Kim, who smiled back.

“Well, tell her she’s got a job here. Incredible work.”

Heather had the file out and was going over the pictures with Frankie while Bobbie just relaxed.

Bobbie retreated into her mind, letting the whirl of reality die down just a little. It was amazing and unbelievable. She had never thought this far ahead, yet here she was.

Prom.

All those days in boring classes, those times she had to see Kim so fucked up that she needed Roxx to hold her up.

Watching Tim shed the pain of his past to become someone… better.

Dealing with what Melanie had become.

None of those things mattered. This was the night, she could forget about everything else and just be Bobbie. Something she hadn’t done too much of lately.

She couldn’t wait to see Tim as the jittery excitement began to overtake her whole being.

***

Tim was almost dressed. The tank top undershirt was bundled in his hand as he came out of the bathroom, only to be confronted by his mother. A high pitched squeak came out as he brought up the shirt to cover his nipples.

Myka laughed and snapped a picture with her phone.

“Mom.” Tim dropped his face into an ‘are you serious’ look.

“What.” The laughter continued. “The look on your face…”

Tim laughed nervously as he pulled the garment on.

Myka’s laugh disappeared. “You look like your father, I really wish they could have met Bobbie.”

“Me, too mom. Me too.” He said nervously.

“You’re gonna be just fine.” Myka straightened, the smile returning.

“Finish up, kiddo. Gonna be a hell of a night, huh?”

Tim felt his smooth face and looked around the room.

“God, a lot’s changed.” It was as if Tim was seeing this room for the first time in decades.

Myka nodded. “It has.”

“Mostly you.”

Tim looked with a single raised eyebrow.

“You’re a man now, son.” Myka hugged Tim.

“Thanks, mom.”

“Now go get finished so I can get you to Heather’s. I’ve got plans tonight, too.”

 ***

Heather was fussing over Kim’s victory rolls. Both Bobbie and Kim were surprised when she came out in a dress. The color matched the scarlet patch in her hair exactly; it was a frilly affair, backless. The lower hem of the dress had orange and yellow in pixels of varying sizes. that gave the impression of computerized flames. Bobbie had never seen such a style on an elegant dress, and she’s been waiting a year to wear it? She had a feeling that pixilated would be the fashion buzzword in a year or two.

“What? Still like ‘em. Just thought I’d change it up a little. But tonight is Prom, been waiting to wear this dress for a year now.”

“That’s jake.” Kim said, Bobbie laughed loudly as she grabbed another coke from the refrigerator.

“Hey, that’s my schtick.” Heather looked to Bobbie. “What is it with you two?”

Bobbie laughed and looked in the mirror; between Frankie, Betty and the rest of the people that made Bobbie feel like a part of the world….

My friends… no.

My families…

Both of them.

Robb, so disconnected could never have imagined sitting there.

But Bobbie could.

Kim and Heather looked happy. Heather beaming and having way too good a time, her darkness was gone. Not being able to read Kim made for an interesting room, the classic formal dress with some modern flourishes. The sunflower yellow color brought out her pale skin tone.

All dressed up and no one to read. It made for a strange silence. A silence shattered by Bobbie, “Hey, Heather. I think your princess is in another castle.”

“Hell no. Warp zone.” Heather whistled a familiar tune, one that would open the way through the Lost Woods.

“Link wears green.” Bobbie stated deadpan.

The first knock at the door proved to be Amber, wearing a green top with her jeans with the artful wear and stringy tear. Her confusion at the room’s laughter only made the laughter louder.

By the time Bella showed up with Beth, the living room was awash in varied darknesses.

“There’s Princess Peach.” Kim pointed an unlit cigarette at the new arrivals.

“Fuck you, Kim.” Bella laughed. “That’s Queen fucking Peach.”

Amber’s, nervous. Bobbie could see that the redhead was apprehensive about her bad boy attraction. Having seen Kurt, Bobbie wasn’t worried one bit. He’s really a nice guy. It seemed that there were an awful lot of hookers with hearts of gold in Delacroix.

Beth, just happy to have someone to be out with. Proudly wearing the red polka dot dress of which she was so fond. Looking forward to spending a night with Steve.

Bella was darkness free, as per usual. God, she should hang around with Zoe…

On second thought, maybe not. Bobbie decided that Bella’s ‘fucks’ and Zoe’s ‘none given’ would make them the most dangerous double act since Riggs and Murtaugh.

Selfies, other pictures, and beaming smiles, funny faces, and cold drinks rounded out the rest of the afternoon. It was a lot to take in, as if the Winter Ball was merely a prelude. Bobbie was giddy, disoriented in a good way. Waiting for Tim…

Tim…

My first true love. Bobbie smiled at the crowd as she took a measured sip.

“Easy on the beverage.” Heather called out over the din of five girls getting ready.

“Don’t wanna have to retouch those lips before the pictures.”

 ***

Myka dropped Tim off at Heather’s.

“Don’t forget your box.” She handed him the package that had been delivered earlier.

Heather’s corsage. Tim thought. No, Bobbie’s corsage…

            No, Heather’s corsage for Bobbie. Tim blinked the confusion away as he bent down and kissed Myka’s cheek.

“Have fun.”

“With Bobbie? Always.”

Myka turned her attention to the road and drove away, leaving Tim in his black Armani suit, dressed to the hilt…

And ready for what promised to be the most incredible night of his young life.

Timmi was left behind him. Faye with all the bodyswapping insanity that had typified the last month. But it was all over tonight. It didn’t matter, nothing did.

Just dancing with his love. His thoughts turned to the card key in his wallet. The room was already checked in and paid for. The limo would soon be there, ready to whisk them off for the night he had planned and worked for.

The door came up to him as he floated towards it. He could hear the music playing as he pounded on the wooden surface.

And she opened the door.

Bobbie was stunning. The white spirals over the blue dress flowed perfectly. Her hair had been styled with loose waves while the left side of her head had an opening flower with alternating petals of blue and Bobbie’s unique just off white shade woven from her hair.

Her eyes… her lips…

He almost didn’t want to touch her, was afraid to. Lest he be burned by such perfection.

 ***

When Bobbie opened the door for Tim, she nearly dropped her soda can. She could see Heather’s influence in his suit, The crisp, tailored white shirt sat flat against his chest. His face was clear, and full of hope. The smile.

Dear god, the smile. Bobbie smiled back. So little darkness around them…

“You look amazing.” Bobbie whispered into Tim’s ear as she leaned forward.

“H…here.” He stuttered as he handed over the package.

“Thank you.”

“Jeez. I’m afraid…” Bobbie brought her arms up.

“To hug you?” Tim finished. In the end, they decided to risk it. She was lost in him; his smell, his touch. There was a flurry of clicks from behind them, sounding like popcorn.

When they broke and turned to face the insect eye of mixed lenses, they gave a few poses, ranging from elegant and beautiful…

To crossed eyes and outstretched tongues.

To staring at each other lovingly.

“Alright, fuck. Enough fucking pictures. It’s prom, not a fucking fashion show.”

“I disagree, Bella.” Heather said, lowering her phone.

“Prom is a fucking fashion show.”

 ***

The pink dress had a purple sash, and Faye wore it with aplomb. Rach marveled at how well the dress clung to each nook and cranny.

Nook and cranny. Now I want an English Muffin.

The curling iron’s warmth on her neck made Rach study herself in the mirror.

We’re all changing, getting older…

Becoming.

Her life had changed so much since crashing her bicycle into her on the path that day, and again so much since. Rach’s blue hair kept the curl exactly as she pictured it. The dress of green gently tumbled to the floor and brushed at her ankles.

Can’t wait to get her alone tonight. Rach’s thoughts turned to thoughts of after the dance.

“Ooh,” Faye said, freshening her lipstick. “I heard about an afterparty, I got directions too.”

“Cool.” Rach said, admiring the blue hair that Justice had left her with again. Damn it’s a good color.

“So I was wondering about that kiss….”

“Y’know,” Faye said, filling in her eyebrow. “For someone that didn’t …”

“I just wondered if you could control it?”

“You mean like baby rattlesnakes?”  She turned quickly. “Hmmm.” Faye turned the pout up to eleven.

“I don’t know.” She giggled. “Maybe we should ask Zoe, she likes it. Calls herself Zia.”

“Zia?”

“They took her picture.”

Rach couldn’t hold the laugh back. “Now that I’d like to see. The blackmail pictures would be priceless.”

“Be nice. Zoe’s cool.”

“I am, just can’t imagine her without her rough edges.” No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t imagine Zoe Keebler in a state of careless abandon.

            Either way, an evening of careless abandon seemed like the answer to Rach.

After all, drunken sex is drunken sex.

  ***

Betty, Myka and Sylvia showed up with their boxy old cameras and proceeded to take shot after shot for whatever passed for posterity in the modern Instagram era.

Bobbie took the compliments from the adults as they took snapshots of the whole lineup of usual suspects. The bright afternoon made for great lighting.

“Okay, Bobbie. One more.” Sylvia said.

“Yeah.” Heather said. “Tim, give her the…”

“Oh, right.”

Tim opened the package to reveal the corsage. It was made of orchids in blues and purples, the color broken up by a single white flower just off center with a sprinkling of baby’s breath.

Sylvia snapped several pictures of Tim attaching the wristlet to her right wrist. Wow, their smiles alone could light this picture.

Bobbie couldn’t remember feeling happier about anything at this moment. There she stood with Tim, both of them looking like some kind of royalty.

The moms smiled and beamed, while their girls(and Tim) stood on the tarmac of growing up.

When the Limo arrived, Tim hugged his mom and Bobbie did the same.

“You two have a good night.”

“We will, mom.” Tim smiled as he opened the door. Assisting Bobbie inside gave Tim a feeling that had lain dormant lately.

He stepped into the car after her and secured the door.

There she was… Bobbie,  his angel. Tonight, she looked even more angelic than usual. Thoughts of Timmi were gone as the old male programming kicked back in after taking a backseat to everything else.

Everyone waved like they were leaving on a cruise around the world, excitedly flapping their hands side to side. Both teens stuck their heads out the window and waved back.

“Fuck yeah, Bobbie!” Bella screamed as she extended her forefinger and pinky in the devil horns.

The limo rolled away. Friends shared optimism for what looked like it would be an evening to remember.

After a couple of miles of their circuitous tour of Delacroix, Tim signaled the driver to stop at a small store nestled between a pawn shop and used clothing store.

Bobbie’s mouth got dry. “Huh?”

“I just want to grab something. Need something to drink? C’mon.” He led her out of the car by the hand. Bobbie’s butterflies mutated to Mothra’s size.

She recognized the small store…

And the old man that sat behind the counter.

“Ah. Raspberry Lemonade.” Tim said, selecting a lollipop from the impulse bin. He smiled at his girl.

“You okay?”

“Yeah.” Bobbie croaked.

The man behind the counter had a pistol hidden underneath the till. Bobbie knew that…

Because Robb had found out the hard way. Looking at the man, she could see the darkness that shooting Robb had caused.

Waking up crying, his wife holding him.

The flash of fear every time a group of young people came into the store.

Tim was obliviously grabbing a Mello Yello from the cooler as Bobbie came to the counter and regarded the man that had ended Robb’s life, and given Bobbie hers.

“Hi.” Bobbie said through her nervous throat. “Just stopped in for something to drink.”

Tim came to the counter, placing the items on the glass surface above the lottery scratchers. Bobbie saw the darkness grow and pulse when Tim reached into his pocket for his wallet.

Tim paid the total and started to leave when Bobbie put her hand on the cashier’s.

“It’s okay. You did the right thing.” Her voice soothed his frazzled nerves.

“Of course I did.” The old man gave a weak smile. “Usually give back the right change.”

Bobbie smiled knowingly, she watched some of the darkness retreat. “You’ve always done the right thing. Don’t let it bother you.”

“I…I…”

“You have a good night.” Bobbie turned and left in a wash of blues and whites.

When they boarded the vehicle and pulled away, the storekeeper stared after the door and let a silent tear leave his eye. For the first time in nearly a year, guilt wasn’t trying to punch him in the face over and over again.

He retrieved the pistol and removed the magazine and emptied the chamber.

I don’t need it anymore.

 ***

up
44 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice chapter.

I love well put together, long chapters, and good plot build-ups. And this chapter has both.

I look forward to your next chapter.