Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2620

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2620
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

I felt a degree of self-loathing. I’d reneged on a promise I made all the children, that they had a home with me as long as they wanted. This latest act by Trish took my breath away. If I’d understood it, she was jealous of the recognition Sammi had achieved and possibly being cleverer, she had put a nasty on the system that would cause the system to collapse or something similar. She might be a genius but her actions were that of a spoilt brat.

Trish stood looking at the floor with occasional peeps at me, but she couldn’t hold my gaze. “Well, what’s it to be?”

“What d’you mean?” tears were still running down her face.

“You now have ninety seconds to remove whatever you put on the bank’s system or face the consequences.”

“You promised me you’d never tell me to go.”

“You signed up as a member of a family but you’ve betrayed that family because you were jealous of Sammi. You can’t bear anyone to be better at anything than you, can you?”

“I can,” she said quietly, sniffing. “I’m sorry, Mummy.” She started to sob and my heart was splitting. There was no way I’d throw her out but I had to make her think I could, this was tough love. I had to be tough or she would be totally uncontrollable in a couple of years. Effectively, I was trying to save her from herself.

“How do I know I can believe you, you lied to me before.”

“I love you, Mummy,” she sobbed and held out her arms for me to hug her.

“Prove it, remove your bug.”

“There isn’t one,” she sobbed and threw herself down on the office floor. “I’m sorry,” she sobbed and snorted lying on the floor. “I just wanted to be important, like Sammi is.”

“The man who crashed the aeroplane into a mountain a month ago said he wanted people to remember him. He killed nearly four hundred people, so the families of those he murdered will remember him and curse him every day of their lives. He was important for five minutes. Is that how you want to be?”

“He killed all those people?” she gasped.

“Yes, he deliberately crashed an airliner into a mountain with lots of innocent people on board including his colleagues from the airline, mothers and their babies, other children—none of whom had ever done him any harm.”

“But why?”

“Because he could and wanted to show he could.”

“That’s sick, like that woman killing the giraffe.”

“Much sicker, I’m afraid—but it happened.”

“Those poor people,” she said and burst into tears again.

“Yes, poor people.” I paused to let her reflect on what I’d told her. “Is that what you want to be—important like that pilot?”

“No,” she said quietly shaking her head.

“So there is no bug, which is why Sammi wouldn’t have been able to find it?”

She nodded.

“Would you have told me before tomorrow?”

“Probably.”

“Get up and go and wash your face,” I pointed to my personal toilet and washbasin in a little room off my office—the perk of being a director. She slowly did as I instructed. While she was washing her face I phoned Henry’s office and asked if he could see us as Trish had something to say to him. His secretary said he was frantically trying to get a cyber protection expert at short notice. I told her he didn’t need one. She told me to come straight up.

Trish emerged from my private bathroom. “We’re going to see Gramps and you’re going to tell him the truth and ask him to forgive you.”

She nodded and the tears started again. I handed her a tissue and pointed at the door. The lift took ages to go up to Henry’s floor, and the walk felt like I was leading the condemned to the gallows. I needed her to remember how unpleasant it all felt to try and stop ever playing games like this again.

We were told to go straight through to his suite and I made Trish knock on his door and go through before I followed. I made her stay a distance from him as her first instinct was to run to him and have a hug. He sat impassively behind his large desk. “You have something to tell me,” said coldly to her.

“Yes, Gramps. I’m sorry, Gramps, I didn’t mean to cause trouble.” She fell to her knees sobbing. I was close to tears myself but had to stand firm. She had to learn this lesson, I knew Henry probably felt as choked as I did.

“Tell Gramps what you told me,” I prompted her.

It took her several seconds to compose herself enough to be able to speak coherently. “There is no time-bomb, Gramps. I told you a fib.”

“I know.” She looked astonished, I know I did. “You see, I had everything checked you did, including removing the time-bomb you sent to some hackers.”

“Why?” she asked.

“Trish, you might be very clever for a ten year old, but you are ten years old. This bank is two hundred years old, we have a reputation to uphold and much as I love and admire your cleverness, you are still a child and I can’t risk the reputation of this bank, my reputation and that of other members of this family like your father and your mother on the actions of a ten year old girl. It would be unforgiveable if something went wrong because of it. So I had someone check everything you did. I didn’t tell you before because I know how important it is to you to act like a grown up, I even agreed to pay you for what you thought you were doing. In actual fact you were playing with a dummy system your sister created to train our staff. You didn’t spot it as a dummy—so I think you have a little way to go to catch Sammi. With computers, she really is something special.

“I’m afraid because you tried to deceive me, I going to have to sack you as my temporary cyber protection consultant. Working for your family requires a degree of trust and I’m afraid you broke that.”

“I’m sorry, Gramps, will you forgive me?” she managed to get out before she burst into tears again.

“I will on two conditions.”

She nodded.

“First you never try anything like this ever again with anyone.”

She nodded and said she wouldn’t.

“Second, you come over here where I can see you.” She rose on wobbly legs and walked round his desk. “And give me the biggest hug you’ve ever given anyone.”

She paused processing what she thought he’d said, then flung herself at him and sobbed all over him. I had to look away or I’d be crying with them.

“I think you owe your mother an apology too, don’t you?” Henry said quietly to her and she nodded and walked over to me.

“I really am sorry that I let you down, Mummy. Will you forgive me?”

I waited for a moment as much to stop myself weeping as much as for dramatic effect. “If you promise me with all your heart to never do anything like this ever again, then yes, I forgive you.”

“You won’t make me leave?” she said loudly enough for Henry to give me a very old fashioned look.

“No, darling, I promise never to do that as long as you keep your word.”

“I will, Mummy, I love you.”

“I love you too, sweetheart,” I said as I wrapped my arms round her and felt a moisture in my eyes.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
265 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well, that bit is out of the way.

I had hoped that it would be something like this. I know I must have done something as bad as a child, but I can't think of what it would have been.

Very nice

Gwen

Important Lesson

I agree that I'm glad that's over. I hope Trish has learned a valuable lesson. Very clever of 'Gramps' to have her working on a dummy system.

Was hoping Trish hadn't suddenly turned evil

although the lie was certainly evil. Surprised at her being restricted to a training system. Henry seems to be a smart guy (unlike the impression we sometimes get).

Trish is lucky

to have Cathy for a mother. Cathy did what she had to do, even though it hurt Cathy as much. Trish did some growing up this day. I thought Henry did well too.

This was very, very hard. And

This was very, very hard. And although I'd like to say Cathy did good, I do not completely agree, because I think she shouldn't have threatened to send / let take away Trish, whatever she had done. Yes, the blackmail with a timebomb is a very bad thing, but she is ten (10) years old, and, imho, still very unsure of her standing. She needs reassurance time and again, before she can feel 'through and through' she is accepted as family, and mummy loves her unconditionally.

It's probably too idyllic of me to think so, but I cannot imagine a mother ever turning away her child, regardless of what said child has done. And I know what humans are capable of, but nevertheless I think all children have this, illusion maybe, that mummy will always be there for them. And I can imagine foster-children or stepchildren putting parents to the test more than once, because they ever doubt. They are somewhat damaged, and it may take superhuman effort sometimes to 'repair' them.

That said, I agree that Trish went way beyond reasonable and must have clear boundaries and rigorous handling at times, but I would hope that other ways may prevail. Because I have no doubt that Trish will 'test' the bond again, some time.

Well, my comment may be testament to your writing skills and story telling, for what other than that would engender such an involved aside :) Thank you Angharad for this wonderful saga of EAFOAB, it is as spellbinding as ever.

Kind regards,
Jo-Anne

Family loyalty

I grew up in a big family. We fought! Bloody noses, bruises, broken fingers, arms or legs. After a while, if there was no blood, Mom ignored it!

But, let Anyone from outside the family threaten any of us, they had to face us all. Then, after we'd taken care of the trouble, we enjoyed our victory and then returned to our interrupted squabbling.

But, we never, ever threatened The Family. Our fights were one-on-one. But, family was sacrosanct.

Trish broke the code of family. Her tears are meaningless; she's a consummate actress. There will be a next time, when she's older, wiser and less naive. Regardless of her words, Cathy must keep an watchful eye on her. Perhaps in ten or fifteen years, if she continues to remain loyal, then Cathy might relax her guard. Until then, 'EVER WATCHFUL!'

Red MacDonald

Ah, tough love. Sometimes

Ah, tough love. Sometimes that is the only thing left for a parent/s to use and by using it, it hurts them as much as it does the child they are trying to teach. Trish definitely needs very distinctive and solid parameters set regarding her allowed actions on many issues, until she has grown up a lot more and has shown she has a "common sense" brain as well as her uber intelligent brain. Gaining both does have its needs of being taught how to achieve both when a child is young and then constant re-enforcement of that training over the years.

Well that's a turn up for the bike/book

Rhona McCloud's picture

You had me confused Angharad because I thought Trish only said she'd laid a bomb for the hackers so the heavy reaction flummoxed me.

I'm surprised Henry never told Cathy what was happening and still think her disowning of Tris was dirty but the training program was an exquisite turn in the story grounding Trish's increasingly unbelievable precocity.

Meanwhile back at the farm I bet nobody's done the laundry and they are living on pizza…

Rhona McCloud

Oy...

Children - sometimes do get feelings of competition with older siblings. And, with great "skill" come great ability to cause problems... And - "working" for the bank made her "feel" important... So, when she thought that "importance" would be taken from her, she pulled this. *sighs*

She hasn't learned yet... I honestly wonder if she will. *sighs*

Thanks,
Annette

The hardest job in the world.....

D. Eden's picture

I have done some very difficult things in my life, some which I am very proud of - others which I will be eternally asking forgiveness for.

But the most difficult job I ever had was being a parent. In order to be a good parent, you have to constantly remind yourself that no matter how much you love your children, no matter how much you want to protect and coddle them, for that very reason sometimes you have to hurt them.

One of the proudest days of my life was a few months ago, when my youngest son (who is 20 and finishing his sophomore year in college) told me that now he understands why I told him that I was his parent and not his friend. He thanked me for being a good parent, and he told me that he loved me very much.

I guess maybe I did at least one thing right in my life......

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Thank goodness...

thats all over , In the end no damage was done and hopefully its taught Trish a lesson not to make empty threats, Plenty of tears have been shed by Cathys errant daughter , But with Trish's nature and the fact that children have a habit of putting things behind them really quickly, You can be sure Trish will be up to mischief.... Sooner rather than later !

Kirri

I had

quite a bit of moisture in my eyes too.