Undercover Part 1 of 2

Printer-friendly version

“Undercover”

By Zapper

Synopsis: Jack Carter, a member of the Guild’s elite Special Operations Division known as the Hounds of Heaven has been assigned an undercover mission to find and destroy a possible Clutch of Sorcerers. The only catch is that he’s got to do it in the body of a woman! Can he and his team stop the new Clutch of Sorcerer’s or will the Guild be faced with another disaster?

Author note 1: I wrote this short story for a dear friend. M ~ you know who you are. I hope that you enjoyed this as much as I’ve come to value our friendship.

Author note 2: A special thanks to my Beta reader, Eric and my proofreader, Mr. 20” Biceps. As always I appreciate your comments and help.

~ Zapper

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Author Note

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you haven’t read any of the other stories in my ‘Consultant Universe,’ then I encourage you to take a look at them. While not necessary for you to follow, understand, and enjoy this story, they do provide the context that will increase your understanding of this universe.

The Consultant Trilogy

“The Security Consultant”

“The Consultant and The Mask”

“The Consultant and The Hounds of Heaven”

The Bounty Hunter Trilogy

“Bounty Hunters”

Bounty Hunters II, “Family Reunion”

Bounty Hunters III, “Silas Revenge”

Stand Alone Stories:

“The Physical Adept”

Order and Chaos - The War Eternal: “Small Wars”

“Undercover”

The League of Assassins Trilogy

Book I: “The Way of Vengeance”

Book II: “The Way of Knowledge”

Book III: “The Way of Power” (Still in work)

Zapper’s stories can be found here in part and more fully on Fictionmania

https://www.fictionmania.tv/searchdisplay/authordisplay.html?startat=1&word=4552

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Prologue

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

***

Magic has always existed and is now openly acknowledged. 10% of the population is magically sensitive and 5% can actually be taught to cast spells. 1% of the population has the ability to earn a Magic-User 3rd Class license. This means that in a country of 300 million there are potentially 3 million professional practitioners. However, it takes hard work and training to develop that raw talent. There are currently about 1 million licensed practitioners in the United States of America. Of that amount, about a hundred thousand are rated as Magic-User 2nd Class, with ten thousand certified 1st Class Magic-Users, and approximately three hundred Master Magic-Users.

The Guild of Magic-Users is ancient, and from its earliest days has been dedicated to the principle of peaceful coexistence with the mundane population. It exists officially or unofficially in every country and it upholds the laws of the host nation. The Guild works hard to identify magical talent, and to train and educate the magical population. Despite the Guild’s best efforts to eliminate them there are several ancient private schools of magic. The most infamous of these are the schools of the Assassins, Thieves, Sorcerers, Necromancers, Psi-Mages, and Demonologists. Each of these institutions specializes in unique types of magic that are considered unethical, immoral, or illegal.

There are also schools that teach types of magic considered ‘inferior’ to the curriculum offered by the Guild of Magic-Users. They are tolerated because they focus on teaching those of ‘lesser’ talent and because they keep the ‘lesser’ talents pacified. As long as they pay a fee, the Guild is willing to license them. These schools include institutions dedicated to; Alchemy, Artifice, Witchcraft, Shape-Shifting, and the Physical Adepts. The lesser talents are growing in power, wealth, and numbers. As they’ve become more influential, they’ve become resentful of the second class status the Guild has assigned them.

The power of magic is rising. The Human Realm has grown and this once back water of the multiverse is becoming a nexus. For those with the knowledge and power this is a momentous event. Agents are committed, claims are staked, scores are settled, and forces are on the move for the Power that controls this realm will come to dominate an entire sector of the multiverse.

The fate of the Human Realm is in the hands of humanity, for now. How humanity reacts will chart the course of civilization for the next millennia. An Age has come to an end, a new Age has arrived, and as of yet ALMOST no one has noticed.

***

I walked down the dimly lit hall wondering how I get myself into these messes. About half the overhead lights were burned out and the poor lighting combined with the smell of sour wine and vomit created an atmosphere that screamed ‘slum’ and made a small spot between my shoulder-blades itch. The click clack of my heels echoed ahead of me, normally this much noise would have left me cringing. In my line of work it pays to be quiet, particularly, when stalking a dangerous criminal.

I licked my lips and tasted the cherry lipstick, an unnecessary reminder that I was undercover. I wanted to snort, this kind of undercover I could do without. The sudden explosive sound of a dish hitting the thin wall of the apartment I was passing caused me to jump and the large fleshy orbs on my chest swung around wildly. As I heard a man and woman screaming at each other I stumbled a little to my left on the 5 inch platform shoes making me clumsy.

“Damn it! Billie, I’m gonna kill ya for this one!” I muttered in my new sweet southern accent. A tiny voice whispered to me from the earring hanging from my right ear.

*Jack, zip it, you’ve got to stay in character. Your name is Bree.*

The soft feminine sound of my partner’s voice wasn’t particularly comforting. She was the one who was supposed to be here, in this leather skirt and trampy tube top. I knew better than to argue and pushed myself upright and continued toward Bree’s apartment. Two more doors and then I stood before apartment 9A except that one of the pegs holding the nine had come loose and it looked like a slightly off center 6A. I pulled the cheap fake leather handbag from my shoulder and fished around inside looking for a key. The Guild had had to move quickly when this opportunity presented itself and they hadn’t had time to craft a custom handbag with the usual wards to help us.

There! Just under the half empty pack of Marlboros and between the roll of condoms and a couple of tampons I found it. The keys jangled loudly and I wanted to wince, my head still hurt from a combination of the after effects of using the artifact and all the booze Bree had consumed, before we’d picked her up. It took me two tries to get the key into the hole and then the cheap lock clicked. I pushed open the water-stained door and had to lean into it as the water damage had warped it so it scraped unevenly over the cheap linoleum covered floor.

I stumbled in and then leaned my back against the door using my weight and my legs to push it closed and let out a sigh. As I did I felt my braless breasts move around abraiding my sensitive nipples against the fabric of my tube-top. A part of me wanted to scream and throw something; instead I pushed away from the door and locked it using the deadbolt before moving into the threadbare apartment. The iron clad discipline of the Hounds of Heaven wouldn’t allow me to break down. Even though my male mind was constantly under assault from this overly feminine body.

I glanced around the apartment cataloging it as I did. It was pretty much what I’d expected, except that Bree was a bit of a neat freak. I moved over to the run down sofa and settled onto it allowing my legs to fall apart as I tried to collect my wits. I needed to prioritize my next steps. I didn’t really have that much time. Today’s events had happened so rapidly that I had a hard time disassociating myself from them and achieving a dispassionate state.

My partner Billie and I were Hounds of Heaven, the Guilds elite special operations forces. I thought back to years earlier when I’d been recruited out of Charlotte, North Carolina. The Guild had been looking for a specific psychological profile in the young student Magic-Users. Even though I only had the power of a 3rd Class they’d asked me to try out. The selection process had easily been the hardest thing I’ve ever done. My class had started out with fifty candidates and five of us had graduated.

It was during selection that I learned for the Hounds of Heaven, it wasn’t about power; it was about the mind and the spirit. Yet, this was only the beginning of my training. What I hadn’t known at the time was that the rules that applied to the rest of the Guild didn’t apply to the Hounds. The first course I’d been sent through had been based on my psychological profile and it had been in depth training on mind magic. A year later I’d met Billie, my petite blonde knockout of a partner, also trained by the Guild as a Psi-mage (this type of magic was border line illegal and looked on by most as unethical). Our job mostly involved intelligence collection and we were very good at it, but Psi-mages could do other things if needed.

Six months ago Colonel May reassigned Billie and me to a new team. I still don’t know where they got the ‘Artifact,’ the IS (Intelligence Section) of the H2C (Hounds of Heaven Corps) are a notoriously closed mouth group. They had acquired an artifact of Power; an artifact that the Guild would consider illegal to use. The artifact allowed us to transfer the souls between two people. This changed the game when it came to undercover work. We, our team, had been granted permission to use it in black operations related to the highest security threats the Guild faced.

I’d never used the artifact before today although I’ve seen Billie use it. When Captain Miller snapped the iron collar around my neck I’d wondered if it wasn’t an evil thing. Before today I’d thought the concepts of good and evil were quaint. But the nausea and sense of something being “wrong” that accompanied the touch of that metal to my skin left me shaking. For a minute I wondered if I was going to be ill. I shuddered at the memory and then they’d brought Bree in.

I knew who I was going to be swapping into before they’d tied her to the chair next to me and I silently cursed Billie. Billie had been trained in the use of the artifact and in adjusting quickly to a new body. I was her backup; her partner; the big strong guy who came in guns blazing and pulled her cute little ass out of the fire. Irony is an interesting thing. Of all the women Billie had swapped into for a mission, Bree could have been her twin sister. This would have been her easiest swap. Instead it was my first.

We’d gotten the call that we might have a target of opportunity. An unlicensed Tantric-Adept Bree Luga was the mistress of Grigori Antipov. Grigori was supplying illegal weapons and magical artifacts to a new Clutch of Sorcerers who’d set up here in Columbia, South Carolina. My team had been assigned the job of terminating the clutch before they gained too much power. By any means necessary. It was a weapons red and free engagement, and lethal force had been authorized.

CPT Miller had then taken the second collar, connected to my own by a disturbing black chain, and snapped it around Bree’s neck. A wave of intense pain washed over me and for a moment my world lost focus. I existed within the pain. The pain swept through me, burning me, making me desperate for it to end. Then I sensed something ahead of me; something cool. I rushed toward it and the feeling of relief was almost as intense as the pain that had preceded it.

I blinked. I could tell from where I was sitting that I’d moved or been moved. I knew enough to look to my left and I saw ME; slowly starting to stir. Then CPT Miller leaned down and jabbed a needle into my large arm and pushed something into my masculine body. I watched as my head relaxed and fell forward. CPT Miller looked over at me, “Special Agent Irons are you alright?”

“Yeah, Cap’n, I’m fine.”

“Authenticate. Nine zero.”

“Plus one zero.” I responded since my code number was one hundred.

The sound of my voice startled me. The pitch and tenor were one aspect but the southern accent caught me by surprise. I worked hard to hide my accent over the years.

“Alright, we’ve got to get moving. We need to get you back to Bree’s apartment.”

“Has Billie checked in?”

“Yeah, just a few minutes ago. She’s still at the TOC (tactical operations center) Colonel May is just getting done with her.”

I wanted to snarl. Billie had been summoned to the TOC to brief Colonel May, our Team Leader, on our current situation. That had pulled her off the FOB (Forward Operating Base) just before Intel had informed us that we had a target of opportunity; the Tantric-Adept Bree.

The Hounds who were part of my normal team rushed forward to help untie me and after I stood up I needed a couple of seconds to catch my balance. The proportions of this body were completely alien to me. I knew that the artifact would swap our souls and that I’d be limited to the magical power of the person whose body I was wearing. However, psi-mages were perfect candidates for this type of mission. Psionic-magic didn’t require a lot of power and we could access the memories locked in the physical brain of the person whose body we possessed and not go mad. This was why Billie had been trained in the use of the artifact.

Billie had been a perfect candidate for this mission except that when the opportunity to grab Bree presented itself Billie was at the TOC. We had to act and leadership had given me my partner’s job.

I watched as Eric and Steve carried my unconscious body from the room. “What are you going to do with her while I’m on mission?”

CPT Miller looked down at me and grinned. ‘Why does he look so, damn big?’ I thought. Normally I’m several inches taller than the Captain.

“We’ll take her to a holding cell at the TOC. We can’t keep her drugged for the next couple of days but we’ll make sure she can’t use your magic. Don’t worry Jack we’ll keep your body safe for you. Just focus on getting the job done. The sooner we bust these sorcerers the sooner we can all get out of here.”

I shook my head to get rid of the memories and focused on the conversations I’d had with Billie about what to do once in a new body. It was now time to test what she’d taught me. Still sitting on the sofa I closed my eyes finding the meditative state I was familiar with and then reached for the magic. I was quickly disappointed by how little I could draw. My strength in magic had been at the 3rd Class level; the lowest level acceptable to the Guild. Yet it was more than twice what Bree could draw. She was, just as the Intel report had said, a lesser talent who’d trained as Courtesan-Adapt. Tantric-magic was her forte and even though it wasn’t illegal it was frowned upon. Then I felt her Manipura Chakra her inner well of energy. I almost lost control. It was full! But not just full, it was a vast reserve of energy.

‘How the hell does some prostitute get so much power?’ I wondered dropping out of my trance.

For the first time since I saw the other Hounds drag the drunk and struggling Bree into the warehouse I felt something other than contempt for the blonde. Her tight fitting clothes had been designed to create a specific impression, but what I was sensing didn’t fit the image. What did I know about Bree; besides the fact that Billie was supposed to take her place?

“What do you really know about her?” I asked the empty room not expecting an answer. The report had said that she was 22 years old and to my 35 year old point of view she was a child. I reached up and massaged my head feeling the waves of soft blonde hair that fell to the middle of my back. I drew upon the magic around me, “Yes,” I whispered. She did have a magical gift; very modest, much less than the minimum amount needed to be a Magic-User, but enough for one of the lesser schools. I dropped my hand to look at my well-manicured fingers. Long delicate with fine bones they were the fingers of an Adept-Courtesan; a magical hooker; a high end magical escort. The Guild’s official files didn’t talk much about this school as they were considered ‘lesser’ as long as they paid the Guild’s licensing fee without complaint the Guild ignored them.

“Well, at least I’ve got something to work with.” I said, and then heard Billie’s voice whisper into my ear.

*Stop complaining, Jack, and get to work!*

I wanted to growl at Billie, but her tone of voice reminded me of me on the occasions when I’d been her over-watch while on mission. Instead, I stood up and moved to the flat screen on a small wooden stand by the opposite wall. From Bree’s purse I pulled out one of the three things the Guild had given me before sending me out. It was a small idol cut into the shape of Geisha. I placed the idol on the TV stand and said, “Invoco!”

A wave of magic washed over the room. Wards materialized and for the first time since assuming this mission I felt a little more confident. I moved away from the TV and thought I’d better do a little exploring. The tiny kitchen didn’t have a lot but I managed to grab a diet coke from the almost empty fridge before moving down the hall that led to the bathroom and main bedroom. The bedroom was minimalistic I ran my hand over the second-hand dresser feeling the chipped and worn wood under my sensitive fingers. I sat my coke on the dresser and turned around in a full circle before sitting on the bed. I sank much farther into it than I’d thought I would.

“Bree must like a very soft bed!”

*I’ll bet!*

Billie’s voice speaking to me from the stud in my left ear reminded me that she was listening.

“Billie, you can take 30 if you want. I’m going to begin meditating.”

*Gottcha, just remember to shield your true self from the memories.* her voice had a hint of worry. *Otherwise you might wake up in the middle of the night dressed in drag and not understand why!* This time there was a bit of mocking humor in her tone.

“Just leave me alone so I can concentrate, please.”

*Alright, good luck.*

With that I sighed and folded my legs under me in a lotus position. The tight leather skirt rode up my thighs and I could feel cool air hitting my silk covered sex. I ignored the sensations and focused on meditating. Billie was right, I needed to be careful. I needed access to Bree’s memories but I had to keep them separate from my own. I started by walling off my mind to protect it from anything that I got from Bree or any other kind of magical compulsion or glamor. Then I created a place within my mind for Bree’s memories.

Once this was done I was ready to move on to the next step. This part would take longer but it was required if I was going to be able to access Bree’s memories, skills, and mannerisms. As much as I hated the idea of being this girl I had a mission to accomplish, and I needed to get acclimated to my new operating environment.

The world faded away and suddenly I felt a flash of memory . . . ‘Easter, and I’m wearing a white frilly-dress I twirl around giggling as the dress flares to my slim hips’ . . . the memory faded only to be replaced by another . . . ‘A pretty woman, telling me that I couldn’t play with the boys. I needed to start acting like a lady even though playing soccer was more fun than helping mom in the kitchen’ . . . the memory faded and another took its place . . . ‘An angry woman, my mother again only older, her face had several wrinkles and a streak or two of grey in her blonde hair. She was screaming at me, waving her finger under my nose. “You failed?! How could you? You knew the only way I’d ever get out of this shit-hole, your father left us in was by your getting into the Guild!” I felt tears running down my cheeks the sting of the Guild’s rejection only a fraction of the pain I was feeling’ . . . That memory faded and another took its place . . . ‘I was with a boy in his car, he was reaching under my shirt, I told him to stop and he suddenly pushed me over! “No, stop! I don’t want to!”’ . . . My heart was now racing as the memory faded . . . ‘I was standing in a group with four other girls facing the most beautiful woman I’d ever seen and she was even shorter than me! Not even five feet tall, but she moved with astonishing grace. “If you work hard and learn what I can teach, you will have wealth and power. But you must always hide what you really are,” then she gestured and a man was brought in. It took me a second to figure out that he was a vampire and then my breath caught and my heart started racing. He’d been chained with enchanted bonds and he tried to snarl something but the enchantments prevented us from hearing him.

The woman pointed a finger and said, “Animas Unum Ure!”

A bar of white hot fire shot from her finger and struck the Vampire in the chest. In an instant he was engulfed in flames. The creature didn’t even have time to scream before the fire winked out leaving a pile of ashes. The old woman looked at us and smiled sweetly over the stench of roasted meat.

“I failed to pass the test to get into the Guild. Just as you five failed, yet there are other paths to power.”

I felt my pulse quicken, this woman had power; real power, power that would take me away from my mom; power that I could use over men. I knew what I’d have to do to get that power and hated the thought, but the sight of the charred vamp remains filled me with determination.’

This time when the memory faded I prevented another from taking its place. I sat there on the bed feeling stunned. The display of power from the old woman, ‘Madam Joselyn,’ I thought, as the information flowed into me. I didn’t have Bree’s whole life story, instead I’d get flashes and if I focused I could now pull the associated memories.

“What the fuck is going on?”

My new feminine voice sounded harsh as I tried to understand what I’d just learned. This situation wasn’t adding up. Madam Joselyn shouldn’t have that kind of power. That spell had easily been at the Magic-User level. I was also shocked at Bree’s longing for power. ‘God, I hate it when I’m on a mission and things start to not make sense.’ I thought.

*Jack, are you okay?*

“Just give me a sec.”

I tried to make sense of what I’d just learned. ‘One, Bree can’t draw much power but she’s holding more power in her Chakra-well than I can. Two, she obviously went to an unlicensed school instead of the Courtesan Adept School her record indicated and three, why does she live in such a dive?’

I tried to focus on that question, with this much power and her obvious skills as a high class escort, why would she choose to live here? But for some reason I got nothing then an image of a tall dark man floated into my brain. It was Grigori Antipov. But in Bree’s memory there was something more to him than just being a small time thug; something that made him special.

Now why was his image in my head when I was trying to figure out why someone with Bree’s power was here in this apartment? My pulse quickened and I felt my face flush. Then I noticed a strange new ache coming from my groin and my nipples were pushing out against the thin fabric of my top. ‘Holy shit!’ I thought, she’s really attracted to him. Then I realized that he was the one who paid the rent and that he wanted her here.

“Okay, Billie, we’ve got a problem. I think we need to reconsider our approach. This girl is more than just a paid escort.”

*Really?*

“Yeah, and make sure Captain Miller has someone good guarding my body. Bree’s had more training in spell crafting than we knew.” I had a sudden fear that I’d finish this mission only to discover that Bree had disappeared in my body.

***

I felt a little nervous as I walked into the bar; the saw-dust on the floor unnecessarily muffling the sound of my heels because the blaring music would have drowned out the click-clacking anyway. Bree wasn’t a tall woman and even with the five inch platform heels she stood no taller than five six or five seven. At this height I couldn’t see over anyone and had to try to weave through the press of bodies.

I made it, but not without getting my ass grabbed twice and my boobs pinched once, through the crowd to the bar. More than once I wanted to turn around and dive magic hardened fingers into the throat of an offending mundane jack-ass. I could sense Bree’s approval of the notion. But I suppressed it, I needed to meet Grigori and the text I’d gotten had said to meet him here.

“What can I get for the pretty lady?”

I looked at the bartender noticing that he was a lot bigger than me, but so were most people.

“A screwdriver.”

“Sure,” then he gave me a suspicious look. “Can I see some ID?”

‘Really,’ I thought, ‘I’m getting carded in a dive like this?’

I passed him my ID with a smile trying to play it down. Bree was only twenty two and when she was in regular clothes could have passed for sixteen or seventeen. But I wasn’t in regular clothes. The red dress I’d found in her closet looked a lot nicer than the usual clothes she wore. Grigori’s text had said to look ‘high class’ which didn’t make any sense once I’d discovered the location.

“Here you go.” The bartender slid my ID and my drink to me and then paused, a look of concern fliting over his weathered features. “Why are you here?”

“Excuse me?”

He shook his mane of iron streaked dark hair and gave me a penetrating look. “Dressed the way you are? You’ve got half a dozen ex-cons in the place and I can tell you, you’re not going to make it out of here in one piece unless you’ve got a boyfriend or a pimp handy.”

His warning made me swallow. Not because I was worried for my safety. I could handle myself, ‘besides,’ I thought, idly playing with the silver chain on my writs, ‘I’m wearing the second item that the Guild gave me for this mission.’ No I was being cautious because I didn’t want to blow my cover.

“My pimp will be here in a minute.”

At this the bartender grunted and moved away. I let out a sigh.

*How are you doing?*

I lifted my drink to my lips and grimaced slightly. The bartender had done me a favor and made it a double. The taste of cheap vodka was strong enough to make my want to gag as it hit my more delicate palate. Still holding the drink near my lips I whispered, “I’m fine. What’s the ETA on Grigori?”

*Not yet . . . wait, check that. Tally-ho, he just parked.*

I nodded and took a deep breath, ‘Okay, show time.’ I thought and briefly remembered the case file I’d read on Grigori. He was a small time thug; however his Uncle had been a skilled Physical Adept. Grigori had trained under him and was moderately skilled. His parents had been modestly talented Artificers and when they passed away he’d inherited a decent amount of money and a small collection of enchanted brick-n-brack. Grigori had used his resources to insinuate himself into the mundane organized criminal elements. He provided cheap magical items that a mundane could use and muscle nearly impossible for an un-augmented mundane to match. In the ten years he’d been running with the local mob he hadn’t been important enough for the Guild to take an interest in him and had left him alone. Because of that he’d made contacts all over the city.

He was now using those contacts to help this new Clutch of Sorcerers. Working for Sorcerers put him squarely on not just the Guild’s Radar, but ours. I reached up and touched the stud in my right ear, “How’s the visual?”

*Good-to-go.*

Before I could respond to Billie I saw a large man gliding through the crowed. This was the first time I’d laid eyes on Grigori and I felt the Bree personality stir within me and my body started to respond. I clamped down on those reactions, ‘stupid girl body,’ I thought. He was taller than I’d been before I became Bree and had the fluid grace of the Physical Adepts. Suddenly I felt the need to rub my thighs together in response to a new empty feeling in my groin. ‘Why is my body responding so strongly to his,’ I wondered and focused on getting control of my new body’s reaction.

Just then I felt my free hand, caught in a much larger mitt, and then Grigori was lifting it to his lips. The touch of skin on skin sent a tingle through me and I had to look up at him through my blonde tresses and for a second I didn’t know what to say.

“Ah, Bree, I approve. That dress was always my favorite.”

“I know.”

I realized as I said it that I did know this was his favorite. The bleed over of Bree’s personality into my unconscious mind suddenly alarmed me. I was abruptly desperate for a few minutes to meditate so I could check my mental shields. Grigori tugged on my arm and I found myself pulled off the stool. “Let’s go girl, the car is waiting.”

“Go where?”

“You’ll see.”

Now I focused on bringing up as much of Bree as I could even though I knew it was a risk with the evident bleed-over. I stomped my foot and leaned back against his tugging.

“I’ve not finished my drink, and I’m not your property, I’m your partner.”

Grigori glanced around, trying to see if anyone had heard and then he glared down at me. “Don’t pull that shit on me right now. Tonight is important and I can’t risk you fucking things up. Just do what you’re told.”

I drained half my screwdriver and it was only my discipline that allowed me to hide the wince this body wanted to make at the harsh taste. “Why are we here? Why am I dressed up? Where are we going?”

I could feel the Bree personality in those questions and by the annoyed look on Grigori’s face I saw that I was completely in character. Then the annoyance was replaced by what I could only guess was lust. He slid an arm around my thin waist and pulled me close. I felt my breasts pillow into his chest as he looked hungrily down at me.

“Isn’t it enough for me to say I’m fucking tired of the game you’re playing? That I’m god damn, tired of seeing you dress like a tramp? That I just wish, to fuck, you’d move in with me?”

“No.”

Grigori threw his head back and laughed. With his free hand he wiped tears that had started to leak from his eyes. “Ah, I’ve never been able to get anything past you, Bree. It’s what I love about you.” Then he scowled slightly, “I can’t tell you everything that’s going on; its business. We’re going to go have a private dinner with someone important. I need to make a good impression and you’re going to help. I met you here because it cut forty minutes off the drive.”

“See, that wasn’t so hard.”

I lifted my glass and drained the rest of the drink in one long swallow.

*Jack, the team is mobile, you’re cleared to continue.*

I allowed Grigori to guide me out of the bar and from the corner of my eye I saw a couple of the guys the bartender must have been talking about. It was much easier getting to the door than it had been for me to get to the bar. I guess I’d never appreciated the advantages of being a guy when it comes to moving through a crowd.

The night air was brisk since it was still early spring and I was glad to be out of the bar. I felt my shoulders relax as my tension eased. While I’d been in there I’d been nothing more than a piece of ass and a potential victim.

“Hey, you, fucker, where the fuck do you think you’re going with her?”

For an instant I was too stunned to move and it took a second for my confused mind to realize we were the people being addressed, or more accurately Grigori was. Grigori spun around and stepped between me and the three guys who I’d seen watching us and who’d obviously followed us out of the bar.

“Friend, I don’t think you want to talk to me like that.”

I couldn’t see Grigori’s face but the trio stopped their advance for a second.

“Shit, the fuck’s got some magic.” The shortest guy said.

The tall guy in the middle cracked his knuckles, “Yeah, but he ain’t no fucking Magic-User. Besides the glowing eye thing is a fucking simple spell, I used it for Halloween once.”

Suddenly Grigori blurred forward almost faster than the eye could follow. He hit the big guy in the gut, folding him in half. Before either of the other two could react he spun to the right smashing a spinning back-fist into the jaw of the taller of the two wingmen. I could hear the sound of the guy’s jaw breaking all the way from where I was.

Then Grigori stopped and I could tell he was releasing the spell that had just given him enhanced speed and probably hardened his skin. I’d never have done that at this point in a fight and it made me wonder if he could only maintain physical adepts’ abilities for a few seconds at a time.

“Pick up your buddies and get out of here before I lose my temper.”

The words were spoken quietly and were all the more terrifying for that utter calmness.

“Sure, sure, Fuck! Just take it easy, fuck.”

Grigori walked over to me and put his arm around me guiding me to the black Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat. I almost froze when I saw it. For a moment I nearly pushed the Bree personality aside and asked Grigori if I could drive. But he was guiding me to the passenger side and I forced my lust for his car down. By the time he opened the door for me I remembered to turn and keep my knees pressed together as I eased into the car. The black leather seat was almost slippery against the silk of my dress as I folded my legs into the vehicle.

*Did I forget to tell you he arrived in a Hellcat?*

I could hear the laughter in Billie’s voice. “I’ll get you for that, bitch.” I fired back as Grigori walked around to the driver’s door.

*Hehehehehe*

I felt my whole body vibrate when Grigori started the car. As he dropped it into gear and started backing up the barely restrained sensation of 707 horses left me feeling flushed. I could feel the rumble of the restrained power through the flat contact of my groin and the leather seat. The sensation was so powerfully erotic I let out a little gasp of surprise. Grigori didn’t drive particularly aggressively; he didn’t need to with that much power under the hood. And he’d been worried about how long it was going to take?

Before I knew it we were on I-77 headed north toward Charlotte. Then Grigori grinned over at me. “I don’t think you’ve ever seen me use this.”

I looked and saw that he was touching a teardrop shaped crystal hanging from the rearview mirror by a silver chain. He glanced at me and I realized that he had a crooked roguish grin that Bree thought was entirely too cute.

“Auctoro!”

I felt the magic wash over me but I didn’t recognize the spell. But I thought I’d felt something similar before. I used my talent and blinked shifting my eyesight into Magi-sight also known as the Third-Eye.

Suddenly the Hellcat surged forward and I was pressed into my seat by the force of the acceleration. I glanced over at Grigori and saw that he was focusing on the highway and weaving in and out of traffic.

“How fast are we going?”

“One sixty.”

“That’ll be one hell of a ticket.”

“Naw, don’t worry about it.”

I glanced back at the crystal and with the third-eye the magic in it glowed brightly. It took me a few seconds to puzzle out the spell and then I couldn’t help smiling.

“That crystal, it’s a spell of unnoticed?”

Grigori glanced at me and then back out at the road. “Yeah, shit, Bree, you figured that out quick. You’re getting better every day.”

‘Better at what?’ I wondered.

*Jack, find out where he’s taking you. We can’t keep up with you without drawing attention.*

“So where are we going?”

“It’s a surprise, just sit back and enjoy the ride!”

In less time than I would have thought we were slowing down for exit 48 onto State Hwy-200 and Great Falls. As we did Grigori reached up and touched the crystal silently ending the spell. I could tell from that simple act that he’d used it quite often and that it still held more than half a charge.

“So we’re going to Great Falls?”

“No, Devon has a place on the Cedar Creek Reservoir. We’re going to meet him there.”

*Jack, Devon MacQuaid is one of the suspected Sorcerers. We’re checking to see what property he owns in the area. For now you’re on your own.*

‘Well only somewhat on my own,’ I thought knowing that Billie was getting audio through the left stud and visuals through the right; although I remembered from our previous mission that the magic didn’t work like a mic and a camera. It was more like when Billie was using them she’d be standing next to me or floating over me, an invisible presence. She had the ability to shift her point of view around a bit as long as she stayed within a few feet of me. When I’d been riding over watch on Billie I’d thought of myself as her guardian angel, the only problem was that she wouldn’t be able to interfere physically.

It was another thirty minutes to the house and we had to turn onto secondary roads but the drive was all paved. The house was set back into the woods and didn’t get a good view until we turned onto the winding drive that led up to the large log home. Every light in the place must have been on because the entire front was illuminated in a pretty display of wood and glass.

‘Damn, it’s more like a mansion than anything else.’ I thought as we pulled to a stop. As Grigori climbed out his phone rang and he paused before shutting the door to pull it out of his pocket. I quickly opened my door and stood up trying not to be obvious as I eavesdropped.

“No, no, that’s perfectly understandable.” . . . . . . “Fine, I’m sure that it won’t be a problem.” . . . . “Great then we’ll see you in the morning.”

When Grigori looked over at me he flashed that smile the Bree loved and walked around to hug me. I sort of sank back into the Bree persona and allowed myself to return the hug, very conscious of the way my boobs were pressing into his abs.

“Bad news and good news, babe; Devon’s been detained up in Charlotte. But he’s already talked to the staff and they’re expecting us. We’ll get a lovely dinner and spend the night. He’ll be in sometime late tonight or early tomorrow, he wasn’t sure. But we’ll have breakfast with him.”

I wanted to grind my teeth in frustration. The last thing I wanted to do was have a romantic dinner with this clown and then go to bed with him. I had to remind myself that I was undercover and I just needed to let my Bree persona control things. However, I was really worried about that, it was getting easier and easier to let her be in charge; if more bleed over was happening the longer this went on the harder it would be to separate my true self from the parts of Bree that slipped in.

“As great as this sounds I didn’t bring anything for overnight.”

“Devon’s thought of everything, he said all we have to do is talk to the staff. Apparently they have a selection of clothes on hand, for situations where guests unexpectedly spend the night.”

Grigori slid his arm around my waist; it was as much a gesture of possession as one of affection. Oddly it made me feel good to have this man take control of me and guide me up the steps. We were met at the top of the steps by a man with streaks of grey in his dark hair and a full mustache that reminded me of a walrus.

“Good evening Mr. Antipov, Ms. Luga, Master MacQuaid sends his regrets. I’m informed that you will dine and then spend the night with us?”

“Yes, we will thank you.” Grigori said it in a firm tone that left no doubt the matter was decided.

“Sir,” I said, a little surprised that I had to fight with my Bree persona to speak up. “If you’d be so kind, what’s your name?”

“Oh, where are my manners. Ms. Luga, I’m Bernard. I run the staff while Mr. MacQuaid is away.”

“Okay, Bernard, we weren’t planning to spend the night and I don’t have any of my things.”

At this Grigori gave me a brief glare. I could feel my Bree side squirm and I know that being so bold must be a little out of character, but I really didn’t want to spend the night.

“Understandable, Miss. However, Mr. MacQuaid believes in preparing for any contingency. We have several closets with men’s and women’s clothes of different sizes. I’ll have a few things sent to your room, I’m sure that you’ll find a few to your satisfaction.”

“See, Bree, now would you relax?”

With that Grigori laced his fingers between mine and I allowed myself to be towed along behind the two men. The house was huge and when I glanced up looking for the ceiling in the main entry I saw that it went up at least three stories up. The fire place of unmatched stone dominated the far wall and was just as tall. The effect made me feel even smaller in my little Bree body.

Bernard led us through the house onto the back deck. From here we had a view down to the water and the dock that stretched out onto it from Devon’s property. Grigori must have sensed that I wasn’t happy because he was going out of his way to play the gentleman. He pulled out my chair and I smoothed out my dress before I sat down.

*Ooohhh, that looks romantic. I think I’m a little jealous I’m missing this mission.*

The sound of Billie’s humor filled voice in my ear made me want to lash out. I wanted to shout at her and tell her how much I wished it was her sitting in this chair instead of me. Grigori sat down and a young guy showed up at his elbow. He was carrying a wine bottle with both hands like it was the most precious thing in the world.

“Sir, might I recommend the 1998, Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon? Master MacQuaid is particularly fond of this when enjoying lamb.”

“Yes, that would be fine.”

*Okay, now I really am jealous!*

I’m not a wine guy, so I was sure that whatever it was that made it special would be lost on me. When the young man handed me my glass Grigori lifted his in a toast: “To a beautiful night and a beautiful woman.”

I felt my face flash crimson, “To a beautiful night.”

I took a sip and the bold flavor of the wine filled my mouth. I do like red wine and this had to be the best I’d ever had. For the next few minutes we made light conversation and then the staff started serving. After a few minutes I realized this was easily one of the finest meals I’d ever had. The garlic-crusted roast rack of lamb with oven roasted potatoes was absolutely delicious. I quickly discovered why the wine went so well with the lamb as the flavors balanced and contrasted perfectly within my mouth. By the end of the meal I was feeling a little light headed from the alcohol and then it hit me. My body mass was significantly less than normal and alcohol tended to affect women more strongly.

*Jack, we’re on station.*

That simple announcement filled me with a sense of relief; it meant that Billie and the Hounds from our unit were here and deploying around the estate.

*Whatever you do, Jack, don’t blow your cover!*

By now most of the staff had left and just as I was finishing up my crème brûlée, Bernard appeared at Grigori’s elbow.

“Pardon, sir, madam, might I show you to your room? Most of the staff has left and I’ll be heading out soon, myself.”

Grigori stood up and came around to take my hand. I stood up and felt a head rush as the alcohol hit me. He gallantly took my elbow keeping me steady.

“Yes, thank you.”

By the time we made it to the stairs my head had cleared enough for me to walk on my own but Grigori’s hand was a comfort and I could almost feel my Bree personality purr.

“Here is your suite. It should have anything you need for the night. Breakfast will be served at nine am.”

“Thank you, Bernard,” I said, “you’ve been a wonderful host.”

“Ah, Madam, but I am not your host. That honor belongs to Master MacQuaid, I am simply his substitute.”

Then Grigori pulled me into the room. Before the door had shut he’d wrapped his powerful arms around me and fastened his lips to mine. I was so caught by surprise I sort of let go and the Bree side of me rushed in. I felt my pulse race and I lifted my right foot from the ground in an unconscious reaction to being so thoroughly kissed.

*Yum, looks like big strong Jack is about to get laid.*

The comment shocked me enough to cause me to take control back from Bree.

“Just one second, baby,” I whispered in a throaty voice. “I need to use the little girl’s room.”

“Sure, but don’t take too long, I don’t think I’ve ever wanted you so bad!”

I rushed through the suite and spotted a door that led to a large bathroom. I went in closing the door behind me and sank onto the toilet resting my face in my hands.

*Jack, hey, what’s going on?* the mocking amusement from before was gone.

“I think I screwed up with my mental shields. Bree’s been bleeding over for hours. Fuck!”

*Ah, I was wondering why you weren’t using any of the classic female tactics to slow him down.*

“I’m afraid that if I try to use my Bree knowledge she’ll get so tangled with me that I’ll be totally fucked.”

*Look, don’t panic. Meditate and patch the shields. You’ve done it in training and its much faster than building them from scratch.*

“Do you think I’ve got enough time?’

*It doesn’t matter, take the time.*

Billie’s reassuring voice brought me back to myself and I focused. I didn’t have the time to draw power from around me, with Bree’s small talent it would take forever to build up enough power. Instead, I pulled from her Charka-well. Power filled me and I made quick work of the patches. In my mind’s eye I was looking at a dam with several holes and water was leaking through. I went to each hole and added a concrete patch. In a few seconds the dam had been restored. I looked around at the water I was standing in. The water was a symbolic representation of the parts of Bree that had spilled into me. I envisioned a powerful gas driven pump with a hose in the water on this side of the dam and another up over the dike into the water beyond. The water was quickly drained and returned to where it belonged.

Feeling better for the first time, since I’d met Grigori, I released my power and came out of my trance. Then since I was here I figured I might as well pee. Once done I stood up and looked at my reflection in the mirror. The reflection was that of a young woman, a woman who under normal conditions I’d have asked out; particularly now, since she wasn’t in tramp mode. Then it hit me.

“Fuck. There is no way I’m going to get out of having sex, is there?”

*Yup, there is no way you’re not having sex. Now, man up and go take his cock like a good girl.*

This time the laughter in Billie’s voice was palpable. Now that the identity crisis was over she was fully enjoying the chance to watch me play the little strumpet. I could tell that watching me have sex as a woman was giving her a thrill. This made me wonder if she’d stayed at the TOC longer than necessary just to force me into this situation. She’d joked about it in the past, but I never thought she’d do it.

***

His arms were around my waist and I shivered as I leaned back into him. My body was already responding to the masculine scent Grigori gave off and the ache between my legs made my knees quiver. I’d come out of the bathroom and as Grigori moved toward me I’d spun around as if to shield my sensitive front from him. It was a hopeless gesture and he’d wrapped his arms around my waist from behind. My hair was up giving him access to my neck and Grigori’s lips found a spot just below my ear.

“Ohhhh”

The moan was involuntary; my body felt like a bolt of lightning had run through my nervous system with that one delicate, brush of lips to skin. I clutched both of Grigori’s hands holding them with mine pressing them into my tummy in a gesture intended to slow him down. I knew it was useless but I had to try something. Then he moved down, using his mouth in a series of small kisses that traveled from just below my earlobe to the place where my neck and shoulder meet. For some reason I released one of his hands and wrapped my now free hand around his neck drawing him into me as he continued to kiss.

“That feels nice.”

The voice was female and for a second I wondered who she was and then I realized it was me. ‘Oh, god, can I do this?’ I wondered.

Grigori didn’t give me time for my internal debate as he ran his now free hand up my silk covered side to cup my right breast. If I thought I’d been horny before, I was an idiot. His soft caress of my breast sent a shiver of pleasure directly from my chest to my groin and the ache I’d felt before became a NEED. The emptiness between my legs demanded attention, demanded something, something hard, and something that would fill and stretch me.

*Jack, you have to let go. Embrace Bree’s personality. It can’t hurt you now. You’re shielded.*

Billie’s words were like a life line, but letting go of my sense of self went against everything in my nature. I’d never done one of these deep cover ops before, sure I knew the theory, and I had the training. But real life was so much different, more intense. In my distraction I’d loosened my grip on Grigori’s left hand and he slid it down between my legs.

“Oh, God!”

The sensation of my new sex being touched, rubbed, through the twin silk layers of dress and panties was something I’ll never forget. I could feel myself getting moist. My lower lips felt like they were swelling up and I was now very aware of a nub of skin right above my new opening. In desperation I dove under, my mental blanket and pushed Bree to the surface.

I was now a passenger within my own body, riding the currents of passion. I spun around reaching down to cup Grigori’s cock while pulling him down for another kiss. This time it was a full open mouthed tongue dueling affair.

“Oh, God, Bree, I’ve got to have you!”

“Take off your clothes and lay down.” The words came out of my mouth but I didn’t have any control over them.

Grigori stumbled back, clumsily for a physical adept, and in his haste tried to pull his pants off before removing his shoes. He fell backward in a tangled mess onto the bed thrashing around in a juvenile attempt to get rid of his garments.

I waited unmoving until he was naked, looking up at me, panting.

“Aren’t you going to get undressed?”

“Sshhhh, my love.”

I slowly reached up with my left hand and slid my right shoulder strap off. Then using my left arm to hold my dress up I then switched hands and slid off the left strap. In a smooth, sexy, movement I allowed the silk dress to cascade down to my feet.

*Ooohhh, that was nice. I’m getting turned on watching you.*

I heard Billie’s voice but it didn’t really register I was now just a passenger, Bree had total control. I stepped out of the dress and hooked my French cut panties with my fingers and twisted to my left as I bent my knees so that I could slide them over my hips. Then gravity did its thing and they fluttered to the floor. I stepped over them and caught my reflection in a mirror standing on the other side of the bed. The blonde woman in a garter, black stockings, heels, and matching bra was one of the sexiest creatures I’d ever seen. ‘I’m a natural blond,’ I thought as I saw a small landing strip of blond hair just above my vagina. Then I saw a faint glow around the irises of my eyes. Bree was doing something, calling upon some tantric power I didn’t understand and when she shifted her gaze the look of worship on Grigori’s face gave me a thrill of power.

I walked, one hip at a time, to the bed. I could feel body parts shifting left and right in response to my sexy strut. My male mind was still trying to deny the sensations of the luscious female flesh I wore even as Bree climbed onto the bed straddling Grigori while avoiding his cock. It was now huge, a rampant affirmation of Grigori’s masculine nature. I leaned forward blowing on his rigid member before working my way up to his navel. Now it was my turn to plant light playful kisses on his rippling abs and rock hard chest.

“God Bree, what are you doing to me?”

“I’m going to take you Grigori. I’m going to make you mine. I’m going to ruin you for all other women.”

I could feel the unrestrained glee pouring from Bree and she reached into our Chakra-Well. Power flooded me and I tried to take control back but Bree swatted me aside like an insect.

*Jack what are you doing? Don’t blow your cover. Just have sex with him and go to sleep.*

I felt a flash of annoyance from Bree but then she leaned in and kissed Grigori. I felt our lips touch and power rushed into me. Then my small hand grabbed his rock hard prick and I slowly rubbed it against the moist folds between my legs. Sparks of pleasure filled me as I stroked my clitoris with Grigori’s cock.

I leaned back holding myself up with my legs and positioned that wonderful cock between the folds of my inner self and looked down on Grigori. His face was lost in carnal ecstasy but then for one second it cleared.

“You promised never to use your power on me.”

“I lied.”

As I said it, I lowered myself onto his shaft and felt the uniquely feminine sensation of taking a cock fully into my vagina in one long smooth movement. My body was more than ready and the feeling of being stretched and filled was so intense I leaned my head back and moaned. Then the nub of my clitoris brushed the base of his cock. I was filled with pleasure; it radiated from my core and sent shocks directly to my breasts. I could feel Grigori’s massive tool inside me, his shaft rubbing delightfully against the walls of my canal. Then I started rocking my hips so that my clitoris made a steady up and down movement and then I started squeezing him with a set of inner muscles I hadn’t known existed.

Grigori clenched the sheets to either side his eyes wild and lost in passion. I felt a sense of delight and power. This huge, powerful stallion of a man was all mine! Then a power rushed out of me, down through the connection of pussy to penis and Grigori’s eyes flashed open. Blue light blazed up, a color I knew from Bree that was identical to her eyes.

“Dico Enim Vobis!”

The words burst from my lips and I felt the magic swirl around and then like a tidal wave power flowed into me; up from Grigori through our connection into my womb, the very center of my being; the source of life; the source of my magic. Now I howled in a toe curling orgasm and I felt Grigori spurt his seed deep within. It felt like a fire inside me and my muscles clenched and unclenched as every part of me felt alive. The moment seemed to go on and on, Grigori cumming and me devouring his energy until at last some part of Bree pulled up from orgasmic bliss.

“Consummatum Est.”

The words were spoken softer and with less power but I felt the spell respond. Grigori fell back his eyes rolling up in his head as he passed out. Slowly I pulled myself up off his shrinking manhood and felt a little popping sensation as the helmet of his penis left me. I felt a sense of loss and for a second mourned the missing connection. Then I rolled onto my side and snuggled up to the now snoring Grigori. I lay my head on his chest listening to the deep steady beat of his heart.

For a second I wondered why his spunk wasn’t leaking out but then I felt something. A thread, a connection that linked us to each other and although I felt the new energy in my Chakra-Well, I knew that this was the result of the spell. Grigori was now mine to command. A wave of exhaustion washed over me and I felt my Bree-self sort of drop back into the dark place I’d built for her within my mind. I instantly shut the door on her and was almost surprised when I was able to lift my head.

I sat up; even though I was tired I now had control. A quick spell powered by Bree’s Well and my fatigue was gone. I stood up and realized I was sore! I now realized I was leaking and I moved away from the bed and kicked my heels off as I headed for the bathroom. I knew I needed to wipe up and I felt very nauseous.

*Jack, are you back with us?*

“Yes.”

*WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT!*

“I . . . I don’t really know.”

*That was the sexiest thing I’ve ever seen.* Billie spoke softly and I didn’t think she wanted me to hear that comment so I ignored it. By now I stepped into the bathroom and the bright white light made me blink several times. I took a wad of tissue and started cleaning up.

*Jack, just tell me what happened.*

I tossed the tissue into the trash can and thought for a moment. “I let the Bree part of my mind have control, and it was like I’d unleashed a force of nature.” I paused to lean forward and look into the mirror. The woman was beautiful with her tussled hair and flushed cheeks. “Have we ever tried this with a Tantric-Adept?”

There was a long pause. *No.*

I turned away from the mirror and sat down on the toilet and focused on peeing.

“I think that there must be a mental aspect to their magic. Its reacting abnormally to what I try.” I paused, thinking for a minute, “I think that Bree’s soul is the source of her discipline. Without it Bree would just be a creature of pure passion. When I locked myself away I removed the discipline I provided and the Tantric-Adept Bree side was free to do whatever she wanted.”

*Why didn’t you just take control back?*

I shook my head, “I couldn’t, she overwhelmed me with so many sensations I couldn’t focus.”

*I guess I can’t blame you. You’re first time as a girl must have been . . . overwhelming.*

“You’ve got no idea.”

*I might have some idea, I am a woman after all.* Then before I could respond she continued, *Alright, so what did you do to Grigori?*

I thought about that for a moment and just as I opened my mouth to speak there was an explosion. I could feel the wards on the house crumble.

“What the fuck is that?”

*Stand by!*

“I’ll be damned if I’m going to just stand here.” I muttered and moved back into the bedroom. The clothes that Bernard had left were neatly piled on the dresser and they included a pair of jeans and casual sweater. His eye for sizes was impressive as I slide into the jeans and pulled the sweater over my head. I didn’t have time for shoes so I focused on the bracelet on my wrist.

“Autem!”

The metal slithered around my wrist and down my hand shaping itself into a Wakizashi. The sixteen inch blade had a perfect balance and felt light in my hand. Whatever was coming I was now armed.

*Jack, stay where you are and kill the lights. Two Hounds have been killed and the wards are down. We’re moving forward onto your location. This is a hit from the League of Assassins. I don’t know what Devon did but stay where you are. We’ll come to you.*

I quickly complied with Billie’s direction and then moved to the side of the room. I put my back to the wall and made sure I had a clear field of attack in any direction. Then I used the power in Bree’s Well and cast the best veil spell I knew.

Silence descended. Time seemed to drag. ‘Where are the Hounds?’ I thought and then wondered who’d been hit and how the killer had done it. I knew the League was a group that no one should take lightly but we’d dealt with them before.

Then I sensed something. It wasn’t like anything I’d ever sensed before. A presence was moving toward me; two beings. Then I was suddenly sure they were male! Knowledge came to me. I was sensing them through my Tantric-perceptions. I hadn’t known such a thing existed. They paused by the door and I felt one turn as if looking back the way they’d come. The other’s attention was focused on our door.

Then in the distance I felt more males. Two and I knew that even though I didn’t sense them, Billie and Lori must be there too. For some reason I could only sense male energy I could even identify who it belonged to. That meant that Tom and Eric were the dead hounds. I felt rage start to boil within me. Then the door burst open and a cloud of darkness flowed in.

“LUMENARI!”

A powerful light exploded into the air over Grigori dissipating the darkness in an instant and I was moving. The assassin didn’t hesitate, with a fluid grace he spun to the side blocking my lunge with the silver Sai. I spun away and drew on Bree’s Well and increased my speed, reflexes, and perception. For the first time tonight I was in my element.

The assassin lunged forward and I ducked to the side driving a knee into his gut. He grunted and lashed out with an elbow. It just missed.

“Ambustio!”

Fire burst from the palm of my hand racing over the two feet that separated us and I saw it splash against some kind of shadow shield and then the shield failed as the assassin couldn’t match the power I poured into the spell.

“Arggghhhhhhh!”

The shrill scream and stench of burning meat was strong as he stumbled back away from me. Some instinct caused me to turn and I blocked the Katana that was arching down toward me. Now I was on my heels as this guy attacked. He was faster, stronger, and had the reach advantage in both weapon and arm. I was fighting a purely defensive battle and barely holding my own. Luckily the room was too small for him to take full advantage of the size difference. I needed to try to shift the fight.

“Frigus!”

I launched a bolt of blue-white energy at him but he blocked it with his sword. Cold burst into a cloud around him for a second obscuring him from my sight. It was a very intense cold but the spell contained it to within five feet of where it struck. Then the mist faded and the frozen form of the assassin stood facing me. I stepped forward and planted a magically enhanced stomp kick into his chest.

“That’s for Tom and Eric!”

The force of my kick shattered the Assassin into chunks of rapidly defrosting meat. For a second I just stared down. I was a Hound of Heaven, but even in my normal body, I’d not have had the strength to overpower two Assassin Adepts with pure magical muscle. I reflexively checked my Chakra-Well and discovered I’d not even used a tenth of the stored energy.

“Who the fuck are you and what have you done with Bree?”

Grigori was sitting up blinking. At that moment Billie rushed into the room followed closely by Steve. I knew that Paul and Lauri had taken up positions outside the room.

“Fuck!” I said, into the silence.

***

I stood to one side of the room, my arms crossed beneath my breasts, fuming. Tonight’s events had been an absolute disaster. The fact that two Hounds from our seven person team were dead was the biggest part of the disaster, but my cover was obviously blown. Grigori had seen me take down that last assassin with a spell that Bree hadn’t known. I might have used Bree’s stored power but she’d never had battle magic like that.

Grigori was bound to a chair in the great room with the fire place. Lori stood by the door while Billie questioned Grigori. That left Steve and Paul to maintain external security.

I returned my attention to Grigori; he’d been willing to cooperate once he found out who we were. I could feel the connection between us and I wondered what I could do with it. I felt Bree stir inside my mind and I closed the door on that line of reasoning. I knew that the Guild had a squad of cleaners in route. It would be their job to put the wards back and fix any physical damage to the estate. The guild was working to delay Devon without alerting him to the fact that we were watching him.

That would give us a few hours. Then Billie’s phone rang. She moved away from Grigori to the next room and I followed her. As I did I couldn’t help thinking that at this moment we could have been sisters, Bree and Billie really looked very much alike. Once the door was shut Billie sat down at the table in the formal dining room and put her phone on speaker.

Colonel May’s voice sounded powerful even coming from the tiny phone.

“Report.”

Billie launched into a concise account of what had happened. She had glossed over my bedroom antics clearly not really understanding what had gone on.

“Jack, what is your assessment of this Tantric-Adept?”

I cleared my throat and stepped closer to the phone so I would be more easily heard.

“I don’t really understand the magic she uses. It seems like it combines spirit and mind magic in a gender specific way. Because of the mental aspects I’m having a tough time assimilating her memories properly. She’s also had training with spells that she shouldn’t be able to caste. I think we’re dealing with the product of some unlicensed school of Tantric magic.”

“Alright, well this is too good an opportunity to pass up. If we can catch the clutch before they establish their power we can take them down quickly with minimal loss of life. That is the priority. I will not risk another St. Louis!”

“What about the League?”

“The hit was from what IC can tell me, directed at Devon. He’s clearly made enemies. We’ll have the house cleaned before Devon gets back. This mission must continue.”

“Sir, there’s a problem.” I said feeling like shit because I’d blown my cover. “Grigori knows I’m not Bree.”

“I don’t see that as a problem. We still have the Artifact. I think it’s time for a new Grigori.”

For a second I couldn’t think but then I nodded, “Okay, I’d rather be a guy again anyway.”

“Don’t be stupid Jack. The artifact can only be used once a day on the same person. You haven’t been Bree for a full twenty four hours yet. Its time Billie went back undercover. It’s what she best at after all.”

For a moment I was stunned then I glanced over at Billie who seemed un-phased by the announcement.

“Roger that, sir. “Billie remarked.

“But . . . .” I let my voice trail off. I’d worked with Billie for about a year and we’d been using the artifact for the last six months. She’d never been swapped into a guy before. With that Billie ended the call and then quickly dialed Paul.

“Paul, it’s me. Bring up the truck; we’re going to need the artifact.”

We returned to the main room and Billie didn’t waste any time finding a chair and sitting down across from Grigori. Then she pulled out a pill and dry swallowed it. I moved next to her and used a set of handcuffs to lock her arms to the chair.

“What are you doing?” Grigori asked. He seemed more curious than alarmed. Well, if he knew what was about to happen that would have changed. Just then Paul walked in and sat a black duffel back on the floor next to Billie. He pulled out the collars with the evil looking chain.

“What the fuck is that thing?” Now Grigori was sounding a little desperate. He glanced at me, “Bree, or whoever you are, don’t let them hurt me.”

I moved over to Grigori and ran my hand through his hair feeling our connection. “Ssshhh,” I cooed and I felt him relax. “This thing won’t hurt you. In fact, it might even help make you a better person.” Then I couldn’t help adding, “You’ll understand women far better, at any rate.”

Paul had already snapped one collar around Billie’s pale thin neck. Now he moved from my petite blonde partner to stand next to Grigori and then snapped it around his thick neck. As many times as I’ve seen the artifact used it never gets old and now after having used it myself I had a new appreciation for what Billie went through when she used it. I could feel magic moving around us as both Billie and Grigori went rigid. Then light poured from each of them and raced down the links of chain. The light from Grigori was red and that from Billie bright yellow. The light seemed to flow around and by each other along the chain and then up into the opposite body. I remembered what that had felt like; an intense tunnel of pain followed by relief.

Suddenly Grigori gasped and blinked. He looked over at me and said, “God that hurts!”

I leaned forward, “I authenticate you, seventy five.”

Billie’s code number was ninety and he scowled at me. “Plus fifteen, you know it’s me, Jack.”

“I just had to make sure.”

I unsnapped the collar and handed it to Paul and then went to work releasing Billie’s cuffs. Just then there was a gasp and I glanced back at Billie’s body.

“What the fuck is going on? Why am I looking at myself?”

Billie stood up now towering over me and stretched. “Hhmmmm . . . I like this body! He’s much stronger in magic than I thought!”

I wanted to shout that it wasn’t fair. Billie got to be the man and had a decent gift!? If I hadn’t known better I’d have said that she manipulated the situation to arrange this.

“Why do I feel so dizzy?”

I looked over at Grigori who was now blinking owlishly. “Whatever you took its working quickly.”

“Yeah, I didn’t want to have to deal with a hysterical woman.”

“Thisss c-can’t . . . b-be real . . .” Grigori’s voice was breaking up and his words were getting blurry. “I . . . can’t b-b-be there . . . causssse I’m . . . here.” Then his head fell forward and then jerked back up. “I have boobs?” He blinked several times in a row.

I reached for my connection to him and discovered that I couldn’t sense Grigori. But I felt the connection and I glanced over at Billie. Yes, there it was, still attached. I drew on it a little and felt Billie’s excitement. She was actually excited to be a guy?

“I . . . I’m sleeeepppy I-I’m gonna take a . . . nap.”

I glanced back over at Grigori as her head flopped forward.

‘Great,’ I thought, ‘now all we have to do is restore the house. Wait for the sorcerer. Catch him and the rest of the clutch. Avoid any additional Assassins. And swap back as quickly as possible. No problem’

“Hey, Bree, I think we need to get to bed. We’ve got a busy day tomorrow.”

I glanced over at Billie and saw him give me a lascivious look. Great, she’s a guy for five minutes and already wants to get into my pants.

“We may be going to bed together, but you’re going to keep your hands to yourself if you know what’s good for you. Grigori!”

Billie giggled, “But you looked like you were having so much fun earlier.”

“Don’t even think about it!” I snapped and stomped my way to the stairs.

***

THE END PART I

***

up
158 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Awesome

Dahlia's picture

Thank you so much! This was an awesome tale.

Dahlia

Your Welcome

Dahlia,

You're welcome, and thank you for taking a moment to leave a comment. That means a lot to me.

Cheers
Zapper

Thank you

Thank you I love these stories please add more

I found your bounty hunter and assassins trilogy and can you please pt them on this site too since this one is easier to navigate

On my "to do" list

Transferring more of my stories to BCTS is on my to do list. Its just that there doesn't ever seem to be enough time in the day to get everything done I want to get done. Thanks for reading and the note!

Cheers
Zapper