Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2614

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2614
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

“Before we go any further, I feel we should set some ground rules.”

“Such as?” asked his excellency.

“Such as we respect each other and show a degree of honesty, which I appreciate is possibly the exact opposite of diplomacy.”

His face was deadpan. “Do you have such a low opinion of my profession?”

“I am trying to remain impersonal. We all represent vested interests. They are directly opposed to each other. They both control significant resources and could thus cause injury or pain to each other on an increasing scale. It would be tantamount to all out warfare which could easily involve governments confronting each other. My intention is to try and reduce the confrontation to reduce suffering and for a lasting truce to be established.

“Rather than knocking your profession, your excellency, I’m asking you to demonstrate it and stop this stupidity before it gets out of hand, because neither of us can win, just lose a little less than their opponent.”

The two Russians spoke quietly with lots of nodding or shaking of heads. Henry patted my knee presumably as being a gesture of support rather than a dirty old man.

“So you will sell us the bank?” was his opening gambit. I felt Henry tense though he was still smiling.

“What would we get in return?” I asked.

“You would have a decent price and live in peace.”

“How much is a decent price?” I asked.

“We would have to consider that.”

“I should think anything in excess of a trillion US dollars would be acceptable.”

“Pounds sterling,” added Henry realising I wasn’t going to sell his bank.

“This is the famous British sense of humour?”

“Possibly, we always joke when we are most serious.”

“You are joking?”

“Not about the price.”

“I can tell you now that it is ridiculous.”

“No more so than the hostile bid you’re fronting.”

“You think our offers are ridiculous?”

“Your previous actions have been criminal and reprehensible, hardly ridiculous.”

“I think this meeting is over.”

“Sit down ambassador and listen.”

“I’m sorry, but I don’t take orders from some jumped up dormouse catcher. I represent the government of the Russian nation.”

“I might be a jumped up dormouse catcher, but I’m an honest one, you’re the representative of a bunch of gangsters who bully their way to success. You cannot win a war with us.”

“I’ve had enough of this stupid woman, who do you think you are?”

“For you, the angel of death.”

“For a stupid woman you have some delusions of grandeur. I think probably, you do not appreciate who you are threatening.”

“You misunderstand me, ambassador. I’m not issuing threats, I’m making prophecies. If you don’t resolve this matter you will die within the year, your daughter will already have died.”

“How dare you make threats about my children.”

“I’m not, you daughter has a brain tumour, it needs immediate attention. You won’t believe me until she goes blind by which time it will be too late. You, will fall foul of one of your oligarch friends and be assassinated by next Easter.”

“This is nonsense.”

“Of course it is, but you will slip and sprain your ankle on the way back into the embassy. You won’t heed my warning until it happens, then you’ll wish you had. I can save your daughter but you’ll reject my offer as you feel it’s some sort of ploy. Perhaps it is, but it’s true. To prove it I will heal your ankle—or will I? Just to prove a point? You already know what I can do—I can fill cart loads of body-bags with your agents, or you can leave us and our bank alone and annoy someone else instead.

“I accept you have greater resources in terms of money available, but is it worth the lives of your family—you included, just for a bank to launder your drug money?”

“You don’t frighten me, girly-boy.”

“You’re a bigger fool than I thought, then. I can save your daughter, your surgeon will paralyse her.”

“I have more faith in him than your mumbo jumbo,” he practically spat at me.

“Have it your own way—enjoy your trip.”

“What trip?”

“The one you will have tonight, oh and they’ll recall you for failure within a month. It will then be too late to save your daughter. I’m sorry for her, living with a murdering bandit.”

“You bitch,” he raised his hand to hit me and I launched a small attack of my own. The blue light knocked him backwards landing on his staggering companion. They both went down

He tried to regain his dignity. “If you lay one finger on her, I shall have you burned alive.”

“If you love her you’ll pack up your yurt and play somewhere else oh and you’ll ask me to cure her.”

“Hell will freeze over first.”

“You’ll be there long before me,” I smiled.

“I wouldn’t bet on it, Lady Cameron—ha.”

“I would. I have seen it.”

“You are sick—I will take your bank and impoverish your family.”

“If I’m sick, you should look in the mirror—when you do, say goodbye to yourself.”

“Well that was a waste of time,” said Spicer.

“He’ll be back and within the week.”

“I doubt it.”

“I’ll remove the protection I’m giving his daughter. She’ll be blind in a fortnight.”

“I’d prefer we didn’t fight this with our children’s lives.”

“So would I, but it’s the only weapon we have.”

“I can’t see him falling for it.”

“He will, it’s already ordained”

“I didn’t think you believed in that sort of thing”

“I’m a girl of surprises.”

“Sure you are.”

Two hours later I received an anonymous call asking me to cure the girl.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
286 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Don't answer the call -

After all it was an anonymous phone call so Cathy is not bound to reply to it. Let the bastard stew for a couple of days. It's the only sort of 'negotiation' his kind understand.

Still lovin' it/

bev_1.jpg

Gwen, Gwne

I just realized that mum once said that we were welsh. It appears as if Gwne is Welsh. Just messing about actually.

Gwen

Power corrupts…

Rhona McCloud's picture

… and having flexed her psychic muscles successfully how will Cathy get her feet back on the ground to do the school run? Long, long ago 'the goddess' warned Cathy against an imposter goddess and I wonder just whose work we've seen over the dinner table with the ambassador?

Rhona McCloud

I will give Cathy the benefit of the doubt

I would suggest not to confuse being forceful with being big headed or power mad. So what is she suppose to do, hang there and 'pray' her way to success. Not take direct action and let 'God' sort it all after they die? She is playing for all the marbles here and like she says, using the only hand she has. She has not use the power to kill, only to let the power decide what is allowed and not allowed. If the power did not permit it, she would not have been able to truly do what she just did.

When Cathy Does Cure Her..

jengrl's picture

they better make sure the location is controlled by MI5 or Henry's own people because I wouldn't trust the Ambassador not to pull a stunt after she helps his daughter if they went somewhere controlled by the Russians.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Whew, mother bear is being pretty

forceful... and perhaps the Russian is beginning to learn what he is up against. (and the russians thought that the bear was their symbol - I'll be theirs isn't protecting her young)

At last

I have finally caught up. I took 3 years, but here I am.

It will be interesting to see how this works out. The ambassador may save his daughter, but I suspect his days are still numbered. Gangsters are in a very uncertain business. This one is particularly nasty, so he won't be missed.

Agree with you there

Cathy did say he would die within the year if the matter was not resolve but did not say how long it would be even if it did. I think it is way too late for him also.

Ho boy...

Not an easy situation...

If Cathy cures the child, will Mr. Ambassador change his approach to "Business"... Since family and business don't mix?

But, not curing the child, when asked...

I look forward to seeing your resolution here.

Thanks,
Annette

So far

Cathys russian meeting as not gone as well as she may have hoped it would , Now she gets a request to cure the girl , Whilst i cannot see Cathy refusing she must also be aware that the ambassador has shown by his attitude he is not to be trusted, Cathy needs in some way to ensure her own safety ,Quite how that will be achieved remains to be seen , But i think we can safely say it will be .... The goddess has invested far too much is Cathy to let her come to harm at the hands of a greedy russian...

Kirri

Ang... miss-tressful chapter

I was so tempted to make some snide comment about a wienie roast or about somebody having a sudden case of blue balls... but that would be in poor taste.

Greta stuff and congrads on your upcoming semiretirement... from your job, not your writing.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I wonder if Cathy can be

I wonder if Cathy can be allowed by the goddess to place the blue light around herself for safety. I have a feeling she is going to need it when dealing with the ambassador and his lackeys.