Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2612

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2612
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

Trish showed me what she’d been doing and when she went off to the loo, Amelia, the woman she’d been helping said, “She’s amazing, ten years old and has grasped the whole idea of cyber protection. She spent most of the day finding holes in our system and then showing us what she did.”

“Cognitively, she’s off the scale, emotionally, she’s a ten year old. Sometimes remembering that is difficult and gifted children are sometimes difficult to socialise. She doesn’t have many friends because she thinks they’re all children. Fortunately, her sister is nearly as bright so helps her to balance a bit.”

“You’re a professor, aren’t you, Lady Cameron?”

“At Portsmouth, yes.”

“Obviously they get their brains from you.”

“Could explain why I don’t have any left.”

“Come off it, they don’t give professorships away, you have to earn them.”

“They made an exception for me.”

The door knocked and the police arrived wanting a statement. The delay had been caused by examining the scene and taking statements from a couple of witnesses. Everything went quiet for a moment when I told them Allie worked for MI5. The senior copper excused himself for a moment and obviously spoke to someone. He returned to my office a few minutes later.

“We’ll continue taking the statement but someone is coming straight over from the ministry. They’ll want to talk with you as well.”

We continued talking for another half an hour when Edward arrived. He looked very serious. “What happened?” he asked. I told him what I’d told the police. He shook his head. “She was a good operative, we gave her this assignment because she’d had some difficult ones recently. She really enjoyed being with you and your family.”

“She will be much missed, she fitted in so well.”

“I’ll have to go and tell her mother.”

“Might I come with you?”

“What for?”

“Because she died protecting me.”

“From what you said, you were protecting her.”

“No, they obviously sussed she was my bodyguard and decided to take her out first. I hope they get very long prison sentences. What about the one who got away?”

“We’ve got a good idea of who he is and we’ll pick him up eventually. There’s an APB out on him, so unless he decides to swim to Moscow, he can’t leave the country.”

“Good, please let him resist arrest.”

He gave me a very old fashioned look, “Lady Cameron, I don’t know what you’re talking about, I’m sure.”

“What about Allie’s mum, I’d still like to come.”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea. That you survived and her daughter didn’t, might cause her some anguish; if you see what I mean.”

“I understand, I’d just like to say thank you to her for knowing her daughter and express my condolences.”

“I’ll tell her that.”

“If there’s anything I can do to help, please do let me know.”

“Staying out of the way might be the best thing you can do, Lady Catherine.”

“The offer is there.”

“I’m sure it’s very generous but don’t hold your breath.” He left soon afterwards. Trish came back to my office, she’d been with Henry’s secretary. Henry brought her back.

“Go and get yourself something nice to wear tonight.”

I looked at him curiously, “Why?”

“We’re meeting a VIP at the Ritz.”

“Who?”

“You said you wanted to speak with someone. It’s tonight.”

“Wow, I really didn’t expect it that quickly.”

“Losing three or four of his men in the past week has made him more amenable. Remember he has to report back to his boss.”

I nodded and scowled.

“I know you don’t approve of him or his boss, but these are the people with whom we have to deal.”

“How do I know I won’t be attacked shopping for a posh frock?”

“He agreed to a truce.”

“If anything happens to any more of my family, I will personally kill him.”

“Are you sure you’re in the best attitude to talk with this man, he’s not one of your students, he’s an astute operator.”

“He nearly killed my daughter, he killed my bodyguard—a woman who was worth ten of him. I will treat him with politeness but I’m not going to be overawed by a murdering bandit.”

“Please, Cathy, I need you to behave or I won’t let it happen.”

“I promise I won’t lay a finger on him.”

“Why doesn’t that give me any comfort?”

“I wouldn’t know, Henry.” I smiled sweetly.

“Go and get your frock—it’ll be black tie.”

“In the main restaurant?”

“No, I’ve ordered a private dining room.”

“Fine, c’mon Trish let’s go shopping.”

“Is it safe, Mummy?”

“Yes, of course it is.” Henry’s limo took us up to Bond Street and to a rather nice boutique. I found a very nice dress in grey with dark red flowers on it, it was made of shot silk. There was no price on it nor on the shoes that went with it. I knew I could borrow a stole or pashmina from Monica or the stuff Stella left at her parent’s house. When I went to pay the manageress told me the account would be sent to the bank. I assumed that meant to me at the bank, but I didn’t argue.

The limo dropped us in Kensington High Street and I bought a skirt and top for Trish and a new nightdress for her and Sammi. I would take it in to her tomorrow. I bought some more makeup and eau de toilette—Coco—my favourite. Then we popped into the hairdressers that Henry had booked and Trish played on her iPad while I got my hair tidied up.

“You’re going to look really smart tonight, Mummy.”

“I hope so, darling.”

“Who are you meeting?”

“Someone I hope can resolve some of this business.”

“Not Rasputin?” she gasped.

“Uh no, he died many years ago.”

“You said he was president of Russia.”

“I was joking, but I’m not seeing the president.”

“Are you seeing someone more important, then?”

“Not more important but possibly more relevant.”

“If it’s the man who killed Allie, I hope he dies.”

“Not while I’m having dinner, darling, it could put me off my pudding.”

“Puddin’?” she laughed.

“Not that Puddin’, my dessert—you know jelly and Ice cream.”

“Oh gosh, yes finish that before he dies, Mummy.”

“He’s no use to us dead.”

“Okay, kill him later then.”

“Trish, it’s not very ladylike to talk about killing people.”

“It’s not very gentlemanly to kill your friend an’ injure Sammi.” She had a point.

“I’m trying to stop the violence, Trish. I don’t want anyone else to die or be hurt.”

“Not on our side, Mummy.”

“Not anywhere, darling.”

“Oh okay,” she smirked and I had to make sure she understood that I meant what I said. Eventually, she agreed she would keep out of things now.

“Now? What have you done?”

“Well there was this group who kept attacking the firewall Sammi had built.”

“And?”

“They were getting close to taking it down, so we traced them and dropped a time bomb on them.”

“A time bomb?”

“Yeah, two hours after they get it it wipes out their hard drives.”

“Like a virus?”

“Yeah, only this one appears to be the same as their code, a bit like Ebola does with the body. They’ll only know it’s there once their computers go down.”

“Did you do that?”

“Uh no, I think Sammi wrote the programme, I just slipped it into their system.”

“Did anyone else know?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Is it going to affect anyone else’s computer?”

“No, it’s quite specific according to Sammi and it self-destructs as soon as the system crashes, so they won’t be able to find it.”

The more I saw of this child the more in awe I was of her. The difference between Sammi and her was that of maturity. Sammi hadn’t pushed the button for nuclear war because she understood the consequences. Trish had because she didn’t. Scary or what?

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
267 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good for Trish. Sometimes it

Good for Trish. Sometimes it takes "new eyes" to see the solution and take action. I think perhaps our American government and DOD and all the banks plus major businesses who keep getting hacked need to borrow Sammi and Trish and use their expertise in dealing with those miscreants and "time bomb" their computers also.

I like that

description....Time Bomb, says it all , You get in totally mess things up for them and then disappear before they even know whats hit them.... Maybe now they realise that playing with fire results in someone getting burnt they will back off and find an easier target Somehow though i doubt it !

Kirri

So has Trish

Launched armageddon on a all of the world's computers?

Not directly, at least.

Just on the people hacking the bank.

Who knows if they will be able to reverse engineer and use it though, even through the wiping of their computers. If they happen to make a backup in those couple of hours, for example, how would the time bomb treat the backup? (I am dumber than I used to be with computers, so I have no knowledge of what should actually happen.)

The best defense....

D. Eden's picture

Is a strong offense.

In the infamous words of Ricky Bobbi, "If you ain't first, you're last."

Or if you prefer Vince Lombardi, "Winning isn't everything - it's the only thing."

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I'm Thinking The Russian Ambassador

jengrl's picture

may find himself in the morgue due to choking on his food and Cathy won't or can't do anything to save him. Trish activated Sammi's program to destroy the hacker's computer system. Too bad there wasn't a way the light couldn't travel through the internet and kill any hackers who try to break into the bank's system via a massive heart attack.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

*sighs*

Still sad that Allie didn't make it. :-(

Someone attacking a firewall, like that, deserve bad things happening to their computer - whether they be kids playing, terrorists or other "professional" hackers... Trish knows too much for her own good, as she sometimes sounds a little bit like a sociopath, in not thinking about how her actions impact others.

This black tie event... My last one was in a tux... Before that, they were all in Uniform. I'm not sure I'd know what to buy if someone told me black tie - today... I'd need help.

Thanks,
Annette

My gut feeling -

is that he'll have to go but one wonders what other low life will be substituted by his puppet-masters in Moscow.

bev_1.jpg