Star Traders: a review

Printer-friendly version

Star Traders: a review

The short-lived television show Star Traders (1972-73) has long been legendary among fans of science-fictional TV with good stories and bad special effects. Canceled after less than two seasons, it was never widely syndicated partly because of the small number of episodes and mainly because of rights disputes in the wake of the bankruptcy of Silver Silo Studios. These rights disputes prevented any official video release until 1989, when a LaserDisc collection of six of the the best episodes had a limited distribution before being suppressed due to renewed lawsuits. There have been a few bootleg editions over the years; my first exposure to the show was via one of these, a set of VHS tapes with grainy video, echoey audio and Korean subtitles I watched in a friend’s basement some years ago. I recently became aware of a slightly higher quality set of AVI files in a torrent (obligatory note: I do not officially endorse torrenting of pirated content).

The show featured the crew of an interstellar trading vessel which typically visited a different planet or space station in each episode, looking to buy and sell various cargoes advantageously; variations in local laws and customs provide much of the plot conflict, as they find for instance that merchandise they had hoped to sell legally has been outlawed in the time since their last visit to a given planet. (The show wasn’t very consistent in its physics, but it took relativistic time dilation more seriously than Star Trek ever did. Decades of social and political upheaval passed on the planet Ereshkigal between the crew’s first visit there in episode three and their second in episode eighteen, while mere months passed for the crew.)

The crew of the Caravan included the jovial patriarch Captain Frederic Tunstall (Tim Siler); his wife Dr. Emily Tunstall (Ursula Kingman), the ship’s medical officer; dapper ladies' man First Mate Roger Enderby (Jeremy Walters), Dr. Tunstall’s younger brother; Chief Engineer Sven Larssen-Tunstall (Lars Svensen); his wife, Chief Steward Amy Larssen-Tunstall (Julie Siler); and a passel of other Tunstall cousins and in-laws in subordinate positions, and Tunstall children and grandchildren underfoot. It makes sense that if centuries pass on your home planet while you spend your career on a starship, you would bring your family along. First Mate Roger Enderby, the only unmarried character among the main cast, played something like the “Kirk” role in many episodes, being the focus of romantic subplots with a variety of women in various ports. The other main cast tended to be involved in intramarital drama B-plots more typical of a sitcom than a space adventure show, e.g. Dr. Tunstall’s constant efforts to get Captain Tunstall to cut back on the exotic alien pastries.

Those with an encyclopedic knowledge of 1970s character actors will notice that Star Traders did somewhat better than Star Trek in portraying women in positions of authority, but less well on racial diversity; all the main cast were white. In his defense, executive producer Quinn Siler pointed out that they were nearly all related. Critics further noted that much of the cast were hired from among Siler’s own extensive set of Hollywood hopeful cousins and in-laws, which undoubtedly helped with making the Tunstall family look like they were related.

The transgender element, my reason for reviewing the show here, appeared in the finale to season one and the scant six episodes of season two. In the final episode of the first season, the crew are on shore leave at the giant space station Raven-4 when a local terrorist group sets off a mind-shuffling device which affects everyone within a half-kilometer radius. Most people swap with someone fairly nearby, which means most of the crew end up in the bodies of relatives and shipmates (for instance, the Captain and the Doctor swap, as do the Chief Engineer and the Chief Steward), but some shuffle into the bodies of station natives or visiting crew from other ships, some of them nonhuman or even non-humanoid. (Non-humanoid aliens were generally represented by puppets, not very convincingly.) Nearly all were restored to their original bodies by the end of the episode, but the original body of First Mate Roger Enderby was killed in a riot, and he was stuck in the body of the lovely teal-skinned alien Siruanna (Raquel Lundquist, credited as a guest star in this episode). Walters left the cast as of the end of season one, while Lundquist joined the main cast and was added to the opening credits beginning with season two; several episodes of season two involve a B-plot focusing on Enderby’s discomfort with and gradual adjustment to his new body — not just his altered gender, but the new senses his alien body has (he’s empathic, and sees five primary colors including ultraviolet and infrared).

Various zines have published interviews over the years containing contradictory statements from Walters, Lundquist, and Siler about the reasons for the switch. Reading between the lines, it appears that Siler found Walters personally hard to work with, but decided, on the basis of fan mail, that his character was too popular to kill off. This unique solution allowed him to fire the actor and keep the character. Whether it was a good solution may never be known; I freely admit my bias, the cause of which will be obvious to my readers here, toward thinking the six episodes of the second season more interesting than most of the first season. Raquel Lundquist was a fine actress, too little remembered (chiefly for guest roles on M*A*S*H and Columbo), and could, I think, have done great things with the role of Enderby if the show had continued for another season or two. Alas, she was still growing into the role when the show ended, and most of the zine articles I’ve run across vociferously disagree with the producer’s decision. I note merely that these critics did not have to work with Walters; his tenure on two other shows was similarly brief and in 1975 he left acting for a career in sales.



This fictitious review of an imaginary TV show is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. You may repost it on other sites, for instance, or write new stories based on it, as long as you give me credit and release your own stories under the same license.


Several of my books are available from Smashwords in ePub format and from Amazon in Kindle format.

Wine Can't be Pressed into Grapes Smashwords Amazon
When Wasps Make Honey Smashwords Amazon
A Notional Treason Smashwords Amazon
The Weight of Silence and Other Stories Smashwords Amazon
up
54 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is an interesting review

This is an interesting review of a show I have never heard of. But then I doubt many in UK have. I wanted to know more but our friend Google only returns hits for a computer game of the same name. Such a pity as I would like to watch an episode or two +.

I have a vague recollection of a mind/body swap story in ancient kids series Fireball XL5, where Steve Zodiac and Venus get swapped. I would love to know if anyone else remembers this.

That wouldn't surprise me

Sammi's picture

That wouldn't surprise me as Gerry and Sylvia Anderson were extremely forward thinking
Fireball XL5 was originally aired in October 1962, and Venus was a doctor of space medicine.
Then there was the 1968 series Captain Scarlett had 5 ace Interceptor Pilots known as the Angels, who's callsigns were Destiny (squadron leader), Harmony, Melody, Rhapsody and Symphony.

Spectrum Angels

Also there were a series of Fireball XL5 and Captain Scarlett Comic Books (Graphic Novels)
'TV21 Comics'.
And of course there was Lady Penelope, Aristocrat, Model and Secret Agent of International Rescue.

Lady Penelope

The puppet of Lady Penelope was modelled on Sylvia Anderson.
Gerry Anderson's production Company 'Century 21' was responsible for a multitude other series including Live action such as UFO staring Ed Bishop, Space 1999 and staring Martin Landau.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

My first thought was to go to

Sammi's picture

My first thought was to go to EPGUIDES as there isn't much they miss and nothing.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Guess I will have to peruse

Guess I will have to peruse YouTube and see if anyone has uploaded this very short series? I don't recognize the name or the series, as I was outside the US during those years it apparently was on the air.
Janice Lynn

Sounds like an interesting

Sammi's picture

Sounds like an interesting series, and was probably the inspiration for my favourite game of the 80's
'Elite' from your description.

I just GOOGLED 'Star Traders 1972' , the third hit in the list was this review.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Today's date makes me little

Today's date makes me little bit an unbeliever
but sounds fun^^

I Idly Wondered About That...

…since this was posted in the fiction section and I'd never heard or seen it referenced. But I wasn't thinking about the date.

Eric

Fooled

OK. You got me. Well and truely foxed. I had a quick skim through for obvious hints to it's "Aprilness", but not found any so far.

It's such a shame this serious didn't exist as it sounds like a good idea. Perhaps you should develop it and pitch it to the TV moguls?

On the Anderson theme, his most successful series, Thunderbirds has been revived using cgi this time and has just started to be shown on UK TV. It has the same chap doing the voice for Parker as in the original series.

I have yet to see it though.