Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2604

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2604
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

The next morning, I awoke feeling exhausted. Simon was still asleep so I went and made myself some tea. Julie and Danni came to see how things were and helped themselves to a cuppa. Basically, I didn’t know how things were. No one seemed to know what drug Simon had been given and it didn’t look as if anyone cared that much. I finished my tea and went to check on Si.

He woke when I stroked his cheek. “Hiya,” he said, “I love you.” He closed his eyes and stopped breathing. For two or three seconds I was stunned, then I screamed. Julie was first in.

“What’s happened?”

“He’s dead.”

“Call an ambulance,” she shouted and I heard someone rushing from the room. Moments later Stella arrived, Julie took me away while Stella did her nurse bit.

“Get him on the floor,” she yelled and we all helped to do so. “You,” stop crying and start your magic—NOW—Cathy.”

The shock lifted for a moment and I began to draw down the energy. Stella was pounding on his chest doing CPR. I put my hands on his chest just below his shoulders and the blue light blasted into him making Stell recoil. “Jesus, that was like a defibrillator. Warn me next time.”

She checked for pulse, there wasn’t one. I heard sirens down below. I hit him again with the energy, this time directly over his heart. This time his eyes moved, Stella checked we had a pulse, it was weak but he was breathing. His colour wasn’t very good but the blueness around his lips was slightly better. I was aware the paramedics had arrived and while one of them put an ECG on him the other asked for a history. I explained about his kidnap and that he’d been given some sort of drug but no one seemed to know what it was. They decided he was stabilised enough to be taken to hospital and with me dressing rapidly, we went off in the ambulance to A&E at the QA.

“What are you doing here?” asked a familiar voice. It was Ken Nicholls and I spoke to him while some of the physicians did tests on my darling husband.

“He actually arrested?”

“Yeah, Stella started doing CPR, I was doing my impression of the Wailing Wall. She told me to do something and I came out of my stupor and thankfully the blue stuff started him again.

“Usually when you do that, five minutes later they pick up their bed and walk.”

“Not if they actually died they don’t.”

“A mere technicality. Why are we treating him when you could sort him quicker yourself?”

“I don’t think I could. The energy allowed me to keep him alive, there must be a reason why he needs to see conventional doctors.”

“He had some sort of sedative last night?”

“Yeah, but that was hours ago—it couldn’t have caused it, the arrest, I mean?”

“I’m not a pharmacologist, Cathy, but I suspect we’ll be talking to one before too long. I’ll find someone to get you a cuppa.” He wandered off and ten minutes later a young woman arrived with a tray of tea and some custard creams. I’d had no breakfast so they were very welcome.

An hour later he was sent up to the cardiology ward and I was allowed to see him for a few minutes. At this point Julie arrived with a travel bag that she and Stella had packed for him for the hotel—spare pyjamas, toiletries and his toothbrush. He woke enough to smile at Julie and then me before he closed his eyes and went back to sleep.

The cardiologist, Dr Johnson--not that one he was a lexicographer—took us into the office on the ward. “You said he had some sort of drug administered by whoever abducted him and an emergency doctor administered a sedative last night?”

“You don’t have the syringe, do you?”

“No, he shoved into his own sharps box. Is there something wrong?” He grimaced momentarily. “There is isn’t there?”

“I think the cause of his problem was the injection last night. I’m waiting for the blood tests to come back but I suspect he was given some sort of slow acting poison.”

“By a doctor?” I gasped, “Deliberately?” my tummy churned and I felt sick.

“Did you know him?”

“No, the hotel organised it.”

“You didn’t hear that a doctor and his driver were found trussed up in the boot of their car earlier this morning?”

“No, I was a bit preoccupied...”

“Of course. The man who attended you was an assassin. How your husband is still alive completely baffles me. Half his heart is damaged yet it’s still pumping enough blood to keep his brain and kidneys going—amazing. Usually, by this stage we’ve got them piped into everything—amazing.”

“We Scots are a hardy lot, ye know,” I said with a hint of an accent.

“You must be. He’s still quite poorly but stable, so there’s nothing you can do here. If there’s any change we’ll let you know. Go home Mrs Cameron and get some rest, he’s going to need you later on.”

“That doctor was a murderer, the one who came to the hotel?”

“Seems like it.”

“The bastards—how did they know we’d send for one?”

“They must have hacked into the emergency doctor system, phones or computer possibly both.”

Why didn’t he just give him cyanide or something like that?”

“It would have alerted us to what was going on and he might have been caught. No these people are too sophisticated for that sort of stuff.”

“Shit, that is scary—we could be killed at any time?”

“Julie, you know what’s happening so I can’t lie to you, yes, we’re at risk all the time until this is over.”

“How will we know it’s over—apart from waking up dead, that is?”

“I don’t know, I presume if they manage to kill Henry or Simon they’ll put the bank in such disarray they might sell out.”

“Never.”

“What?” I was bemused by her defiance.

“Our bank is two hundred years old so some bloody Cossack tossers aren’t going to bring it down.”

“If Henry or Si are killed, who’s going to run it?”

“You will, you’re a director and a Cameron—you’ll do it.”

“Don’t be silly, darling, I’m a teacher not a banker.”

“Okay, okay—look I’ll give you hand on Sundays, all right?”

At that I laughed until my sides hurt and hoped Julie meant it as a joke.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
252 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I was worried something like this might be the case

They now have to be a lot more paranoid. I think now that he has been saved and the damage has been observed and the killing agent possibly identified, she might be allowed to do a full healing.

The baddies are proving to be

The baddies are proving to be very resourceful and the Camerons are just escaping by the skin of their teeth.

It seems like it's time to go on the offense rather than just waiting for the next attack.

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Thought for food?

Rhona McCloud's picture

I didn't write the 'comment subject' the wrong way round as I was thinking of the danger the Cameron's now face if they ring out for pizza. On the positive side Cathy never did trust cheese covered cardboard.
A difficulty for the future will lie in resolving enough problems that sheer paranoia doesn't destroy the family.

Rhona McCloud

The Queen's Detail

I thought they now had some sort of special protection on them? It seems that they should get cracking, eh?

I love Julie, she doesn't

I love Julie, she doesn't get too much "play" in the storyline very often, but when she does she is a really funny lady, even when she is not trying to be. She appears to be extremely street smart, which can overcome education smart many times. I just hope that Cathy, Sammie, Julie, Phoebe, along with Danni, Trish and Lizzie can come up with a plan of attack on the baddies, rather than having to react all the time. Maybe Stella will even jump in and give some good help.

I know that Cathy doesn't believe.....

D. Eden's picture

In any deity, and in a way I fully understand - between the things I have seen it his world, not to mention some of the activities I have been a part of, I find it hard to believe myself. But I look around me every day and I see things that make me want to believe. As an engineer, I look at the wondrous creations of nature and I find it hard to believe that there isn't some driving force behind the universe.

I can't vouch for others, but I can say from personal experience that when someone that I cared very deeply about, someone who meant more to me than my own life, someone for whom I would do anything to save was laying in my arms dying, I broke down and prayed as hard as I could. I cried, I begged, I pled, I promised, I did everything I could to save him. I am reasonably sure that Cathy would do anything to save Simon. Perhaps it's time for her to come to terms with her own personal relationship with the paranormal? Maybe this is all designed to get her to accept who she is, and get on with her mission in life.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Simon's alive

Wow, Angharad
I have said it before and I shall say it again. When you get around to writing your first full length thriller, excluding 'bike' that is, it will be a winner.

Great writing, Ang.

Lots of Love

Anne

More blue stuff please

Now that they know about the assination attempt. Surprised the real doctor wasn't killed. This group seems pretty loose on mercy. Many guards on the kids please!

There are many ways to kill someone

With Catherin you kill her family members, maybe leave her alive, in the end shattered, destroyed. Not really alive, actually a walking dead, and you never need to really attack her directly, taking a chance she will get you instead.

I think this may be the situation the Goddess was inferring a while back, that if Catherin did not make progress in accepting her responsibility's as the Goddesses champion. This is yet another case of " Let this cup pass from me " Never a good thing to hear, but the truth never promised to be easy.

The situation has backed Catherin up against a immoveable wall, leaving her a limited choice as to how to respond and be successful in saving her family. So much rests on her shoulders making this no longer about her feeling's of inadequacy, or lack of worthiness, It is about standing your ground and using any thing you can to " Nobly win, or meanly louse " a whole lot of peoples last best hopes. I know she is strong enough to prevail but she has to remember to remember that she is.

Huggles

Misha Nova .

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif