Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2602

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2602
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

We let Simon grab a shower and change grab a drink and bite to eat before the police were called. One of them had the temerity to suggest it was all a publicity stunt for the bank. I had to work really hard to stop Simon planting him. Simon was really angry and it took several minutes to calm him down. The offending officer was told to leave by the Special Branch Chief Super who was leading the case.

“How did you find him?” asked the Chief Superintendant.

“If I told you, you wouldn’t believe me.”

“We know all about your special powers—or shall we say the miraculous things that happen when you seem to be around. So I’d be grateful if you’d tell me if we keep it off the record.”

“If that’s a promise—then I’ll try and explain what I know about what happens. With those people I have a special relationship, mainly family but occasionally close friends, I seem to be able to track them. It’s like they have transponders inside them and I just follow the signal. I also know things, like I knew Simon was still alive and close geographically. All I had to do then was find him.”

“I thought the police were supposed to have searched the building?”

“That’s what we were told. Seems they didn’t do it very thoroughly.”

“I’ll be raising that very point a little later with an Assistant Commissioner.”

“Thank you. I don’t want to alienate the police because they have helped us several times when we were in trouble.”

“I believe they’ve also been less than helpful at times.”

“Unfortunately, yes.”

“It’s all been recorded, including the amounts charities have benefitted from the out of court settlements, I believe as well you’ve destroyed a few pensions and careers.”

“I never start the trouble just respond in an appropriate manner.”

“Like getting them suspended?”

“I’d only plead guilty to that if the suspension involved some form of rope.”

“I had you down as anti capital punishment.”

“I am—it’s judicial murder.”

He simply shrugged. “I lost two colleagues to deliberate shootings. Their widows and children will still miss them after the bastards who did it get out. They should rot in prison.”

“Some would argue that’s more cruel than executing them.”

“So—if they kill a cop...”

“I can’t understand why anyone needs to kill anyone under normal life circumstances.”

“Even self defence?”

“You heard about it that?”

“I know all about you, Lady Cameron.”

“They were going to kill my children, my adoptive father and me.”

“I believe a couple of police officers as well.”

“They’d already killed a couple of police in abducting us.”

“I know, but it probably takes more bottle than I’ve got to beat someone to a pulp while they slept.”

“I’m not proud of my actions, but I was under threat at the time.”

“I know—I wasn’t passing judgement, just acknowledging your resourcefulness.”

“It doesn’t sound that way to me.”

“Guilty conscience perhaps?”

“Have you killed anyone, Chief Superintendant?”

“Yes—he had a gun, I had a gun—I was quicker on the draw.”

“Are you proud of it?”

“Not for taking a life, no. In ridding the world of a dangerous scumbag—yes, he had it coming.” He paused as if reliving the experience. “Let’s go and talk with your husband, shall we?”

Simon explained how he’d been ambushed by two people wearing the uniforms of the air-conditioning service company. They’d waved guns under his nose and then given him some sort of injection which turned him into an automaton. He did exactly as they told him unable to resist the powerful drug.

They had simply walked him out to the roof and tied and gagged him, hiding him in the air-conditioning plant room. He’d been aware of everything that was happening including wondering if he was going to die. Several times he thought he was going to.

“And you just sensed he was still in the building?” the senior copper asked me.

“That’s about it,” I confirmed.

“But that is so boring.”

“Life is I’m afraid.”

“Oh well, back to playing rat-catcher.”

“I suspect you keep quite busy.”

“Me cop, you—possible suspect. Don’t leave town, will you?”

“Not if you ask me not to.”

“Are you always so compliant.”

“But of course,” smiled a sweet but totally inappropriate smile. He shook his head and left taking his minions with him.

Simon was shaken but otherwise well according to the police surgeon who examined him after we found him. He was a big tall chap who spent most of his life trying to kill himself by doing dangerous sports such as skydiving and ski jumping. I considered cycling was dangerous enough for me—it put me in this position after all. If it hadn’t I had visions of myself still sitting in my bedsit waiting for the time to pass until it felt the optimum to transition. I probably never would have done and certainly would never have had a relationship with a man, let alone married one and adopted so many waifs and strays, my house was like a children’s home.

I thought about my previous times compared with what was now—it didn’t compare.
Not bad for someone who obviously failed the test for manhood but seemed to pass the one for womanhood. Quite how completely I was never quite able to explain but I had few regrets and loads of plus points to celebrate.

As soon as we were able I rushed Simon to my car and set off for darkest Portsmouth—actually due to an absence of sunlight—the whole country was experiencing a dark period—called nightfall.

Arriving at the gates of the drive, they were open. They should have been locked not wide open. If the children had been harmed in anyway, I would exact a terrible revenge. I might not be into judicial murder but this sort of crime, abducting children was beyond the pale.

We parked the car and set off to investigate, it looked as if no one was at home. Oh shit.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
243 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hopefully its

nothing too serious , But you would have to say given the events that have happened recently that does not seem very likely . Perhaps (maybe I am clutching at straws here !)Chas and. Dave have got the family all safe and are just waiting for help to arrive......It certainly seems the best chance for a happy day for the Cameron's..

Kirri

One would think......

D. Eden's picture

That Cathy would have sensed if something was happening to her children.

Of course, she was just a little bit preoccupied, so the fact that she might not have would be understandable.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

If someone has

Abducted the children just watch Cathy shift gears. Mother t-rex on the warpath. Then again I like to imagine that Trish and the crew could turn the tables on anyone who took them prisoner. ("Ransom of Red Chief" without the comedy)

So how would they know about her 'powers'

I thought the blue light was good at erasing people's memory of the event if it suited it. Clearly they having knowledge is advantageous somehow but one must wonder if they will come by some day asking for a 'favor.'

The good old days

Rhona McCloud's picture

Does anyone remember when after cooking dinner Cathy got to sit down with Simon and the children, maybe doing a little sewing for excitement?

My memory might be amiss because I can't remember Cathy beating someone to a pulp while they slept…. Would someone, who presumably wasn't the one beaten, please provide a link to the episode?

Rhona McCloud

Question is...

Where's Allie? Considering who hired her, I can't believe that she's not in the car with Cathy and Simon, or if not in front of, at least right behind them in Simons car. If it's not a simple case of not closing the gates when they left, and the bad guys are involved, it will definitely become a case of the hunters becoming the hunted.

You would think that considering their losses (those in English prisons, coming home in a box or just plain disappearing), the word would have spread and the hit squads would realize that their survivability rate would be higher taking out their bosses than taking on Cathy and her family, which has basically become a suicide mission.