Charlotte, part 8

Printer-friendly version

FIVE MONTHS LATER

“Oww…” Charlotte moans as I pull the laces of her corset ever tighter. “Whose stupid idea was this again?”

“Yours,” I laugh as I give the laces one final pull before tying them in a bow.

“I wish I had less imagination,” Charlotte laughs as she pulls on the remaining layers of her elaborate Victorian-style ball gown. “Is it at least closed at the back?”

“Of course,” I say with pride. “If your corset-maker is to be believed, we’re both now proud owners of 20 inch waists!”

“For the next few hours, anyway,” Charlotte sighs, gingerly sitting down so I can help her don her high-heeled shoes. It doesn’t take long for Charlotte’s look to be complete, and when she stands up, she- like myself- looks every bit the Victorian debutante.

In addition to our ridiculously tight over bust corsets (that give us both incredible cleavage) and other replica (but still authentic) Victorian underwear, we’re both wearing extravagant dresses, dripping with highlights, that end in extra-wide hoop skirts. The dresses have tight bejewelled bodices that show off every inch of our curves, and we’re wearing white satin gloves that come almost all the way up to our shoulders. We both have thick collar-like chokers around our necks, and our hair is tied up into elegant updos. Our faces are, of course, fully-made up too.

“Pray, Miss Hutchinson,” I say in a fake ‘Pride and Prejudice’ style voice, “would you be so kind as to hand me my fan? I do believe I am suffering an attack of the vapours.” Giggling, Charlotte passes me my folding fan, which I dramatically fan myself with as Charlotte takes photos for my Instagram account. After returning the favour- and taking a couple of selfies- we head downstairs to where the rest of our ‘gang’- now officially called ‘The Angels’- are waiting for us.

“And there she is,” Charlotte enthuses. “The beautiful princess on her 21st birthday! Smile for the camera, Viks!” grinning shyly, Viks, wearing the most elaborate dress- and the tightest corset- of all of us, poses for the camera like the expert model she has rapidly become.

“Mr. Brooks!” Charlotte yells. “Come on and have your photo taken with the birthday girl!” Charlotte yells. I can’t help but grin as Charlotte takes charge of the party. Unlike the past, though, she’s putting Viks- a girl she probably wouldn’t have looked twice at- fully in centre stage, willingly letting herself be relegated to the background.

Even since I reconciled with Charlotte in July, life has been damned near perfect. As she promised, Charlotte cancelled Spencer & Hall’s contract with her- even knowing that she’d never get a second chance with them- and re-signed with Joshua, who as expected, quickly marketed us as ‘The Angels’. All six of us have found our public profiles increasing exponentially. We all do regular media appearances- Charlotte probably has the greatest exposure out of all of us, with me second, but the other girls are catching up quick, especially Hannah, the only other full-time model of our group. We all have tens of thousands of followers on twitter and Instagram, and those of us who have YouTube channels (my lifestyle vlog, Krystie’s ballet channel and Hannah’s vlog) all have over a hundred thousand subscribers each. We’re not all about being celebrities, though- Krystie still runs her dance studio (which now has a huge waiting list following her increase in fame) and Viks, Mary and I all work hard at our university studies. Whilst I am seen occasionally by the media as ‘the transsexual Angel’ (and am rapidly becoming the go-to girl for public support for the transgendered community), most of the time I’m treated as simply one of the girls- which is precisely what I am. A lot of fuss is being made about my upcoming SRS in April, though!

…Not least by my parents. They are, of course, exceptionally protective of me, especially as my media appearances grow more frequent. I’m thankful that I’m not the only ‘Angel’ who still lives with their parents (Viks does as well), as I do want to be seen by the media as a proud, independent woman, but I doubt I’d have got through the year without their support. Even though neither of them desired any fame of their own, they both happily gave interviews to the press on my 22nd birthday, and actually joined in the theme for the party as well (a ‘nineties’ theme- which saw my dad sporting a MASSIVE mullet!). Even though I’ve only been back living there for a few months, I can’t imagine life anywhere else, despite the limited closet space!

As much as I can’t live without my parents, the support given to each other by ‘The Angels’ has been the most important thing not only in my life, but probably in the other girls’ lives too. Viks’s rise to fame in particular has taken everyone by surprise- the shy college student has become a bona fide megastar and is in high demand for endorsements, particularly by vintage lingerie and corsetry companies. Her figure is apparently perfect for their needs- and Viks, despite her initial reservations- is loving the ‘it girl’ lifestyle as much as the rest of us. She’s apparently had boys practically banging her door down to go on a date with her, too- one of whom she accepted and will be introducing to us today!

Charlotte and I are, once again, inseparable- even though she has Keith back, they’re not the perfect couple they once were. Charlotte’s infidelity- which she hasn’t repeated, fortunately- has left him wary of her, and ever since our ‘moment’ in July, Keith and I have been very awkward around each other. With Keith busy with his PhD studies most days, Charlotte’s actually been spending more time with me than with him. Fortunately, when Charlotte and the other Angels are busy with their boyfriends, I always have Krystie- the only other singleton in our ‘gang’- to keep my spirits up!

“Smile, all of you!” Charlotte orders as she snaps more photos of Viks and her parents.

“Just because my name’s Victoria, doesn’t mean I’m a fan of all things Victorian,” Viks complains, wriggling in her massive dress. “I can barely breathe in this thing!”

“And here I was thinking it was me who made you breathless,” a familiar deep, masculine voice calls from the entranceway. As one, everyone in the room turns to see the tall young man- dressed a proper Victorian gentleman- stride over to Viks and give her a long, deep kiss. Out of all the girls, it’s my jaw that’s dropped the furthest.

“Girls, let me introduce you to my boyfriend,” Viks says as the young man wraps his arms around her shrunken waist. “I believe some of you know Jonathan Benedict?” I can’t help but stare at the young man I briefly dated, who simply winks at me before kissing his current girlfriend again.

“Hello girls,” Jonathan says smugly as he escorts Viks into Charlotte’s main room, the rest of us following shortly behind.

“I’ve had him,” I cheekily whisper to Krystie, making the tall girl giggle in a very un-ladylike manner.

“Are the rumours true?” Krystie whispers back.

“PAINFULLY true, if you get my drift,” I reply, making Krystie giggle even more!

We while away the night eating, drinking, chatting and dancing- for the formal ‘ball dance’ Charlotte insisted on, I end up dancing with Stuart (who is still somehow uncomfortable in his breeches, despite not having any actual boy parts yet) whilst Krystie dances with Viks’s brother. We’d briefly considered causing a ‘scandal’ by dancing with each other, but thought better of it in the end! Needless to say, Viks and Jonathan are the star attraction, wowing everyone with their clearly well-practised routine.

After the dance, I sit down on one of the sofas, resting my weary feet (and aching waist!) when I hear a familiar voice boom across the room at me.

“Jamie!” Joshua says happily. “How’s my favourite Angel enjoying the party today?”

“’Favourite’ angel?” I ask with a smile. “Don’t let the others hear you say that!”

“I’m allowed to have six favourites!” Joshua laughs, sitting down next to me.

“And sideburns the size of cricket bats?” I ask, playing with the strips of hair Joshua’s attached to his face.

“This is the Victorian era!” Joshua laughs. “I’ve got to blend in somehow!”

“Viks and Jonathan look really happy together,” I muse.

“They’re perfect for each other,” Joshua says happily. “They both bring each other out of their shell. If he were still with us, I know my brother would be so happy Jonathan found someone like Viks.” I can’t help but sigh sadly as Joshua gushes over the new couple.

“Don’t look sad!” Joshua admonishes me. “This is a party! And you’re Jamie-Lee Burke, media sensation! You don’t need a stupid boy to make you happy!”

“I keep telling myself I don’t NEED a boy,” I sigh. “Doesn’t mean I don’t WANT one, though…” My eyes drift toward Keith, who is, as predicted, happily waltzing around the floor with Charlotte.

“Keep your chin up!” Joshua commands. “Seven days from now, you and the Angels will be proper TV stars!” I grin, much to Joshua’s delight. “There you go!” My boss booms.

As my mum predicted back in the summer, the second Joshua re-signed Charlotte, he got right in contact with every production firm on his books, offering the six of us up as the next ‘TOWIE’/’Made in Chelsea’-style reality show. There was some resistance at first- mostly from myself and Viks, who were eager not to be seen as the type of vacuous, empty clothes horses you see on those shows- but as filming started, we began to see that the show was less ‘sensational’ than the other shows of its type, placing less emphasis on inter-personal rivalries (largely because the six of us are so close that there aren’t any), instead focussing on our everyday lives, our work, our parties, our girls nights out and girls nights in, we’ve even had cameras recording our private ballet lessons.

Joshua had, of course, originally wanted to call the show ‘Charlotte’s Angels’. It made sense from a business standpoint, as Charlotte is by some distance the ‘biggest’ star out of the six of us, but she herself objected, insisting that it be a show about six girls, not one girl and her five friends, so her name was dropped from the title, leaving just ‘Angels’ instead. This of course meant we spent a whole day in a studio wearing pristine white dresses with wings and halos. It took four hours to record enough footage for a thirty-second intro sequence- which the director later told us was considerably quicker than normal! The Angel costumes later saw use at Hannah’s 21st birthday party in October, which will be the focus of the pilot episode being broadcast next Saturday! There are also cameras here today, gathering footage for future episodes (despite the series not being fully commissioned yet), much to Viks’s chagrin- I’m only thankful that they weren’t booked in time for my birthday in September, or our weekend in Spain earlier that month!

As gorgeous as tonight’s costumes are, they’re not very practical, as I discover when Charlotte taps me on the shoulder.

“B.B,” she says. Immediately, I roll my eyes and follow her out of the main room to the adjacent toilet, holding her gloves helping her rearrange her skirts as she parks herself on the seat.

“You know,” I sigh as I turn my back on Charlotte, “you don’t HAVE to drink so much…”

“It’s a party!” Charlotte enthuses. “Of course I do! And it could be worse, have you seen how much Hannah and Viks have been in here tonight?”

“It’s ridiculous,” I agree. “Hannah isn’t even drinking as she said she’s designated driver, even though we offered to get a taxi for them.”

“Didn't even realise she'd passed her test,” Charlotte says. “How can you drive in this dress anyway?”

“Beats me,” I sigh, gazing at the sink whilst Charlotte cleans herself up. I move out of the way to allow Charlotte to wash her hands, but before I can hand her back her gloves, she pauses.

“What’s up?” I ask my BFF, who seems transfixed on the contents of the pedal bin.

“Pass me some toilet paper,” Charlotte orders, her voice quiet and stunned. Cautiously, I obey, and wince a little as Charlotte fishes a small tube out of the bin.

“Eww,” I spit.

“Oh hush,” Charlotte says. “Jamie… This is a pregnancy test.”

“Yes, and?” I ask.

“…It’s positive.” Charlotte whispers. A brief silence fills the small room.

“Well it’s not going to be mine, is it?” I say sarcastically. Charlotte simply sighs and rolls her eyes.

“Thank you, Miss State-the-Obvious,” Charlotte says. “But… The only women who’ve been in here all day are us Angels, Viks’s mum, Joshua’s wife…”

“Viks’s mum is in her fifties, so is Joshua’s wife,” I muse. “Are- are you saying that one of us is pregnant?”

“It looks that way,” Charlotte whispers, carefully replacing the pregnancy test in the bin.

“…Is it you?” I hesitantly ask. Charlotte simply shakes her head in response.

“Why would I use the downstairs toilet to do the test when I can do it in my own private bathroom?” Charlotte asks- and she has a point. “It has to be Krystie, Mary, Hannah or Viks.”

“Oh my god,” I say, fanning myself with my hands. “I can’t believe it! …I’m going to be an auntie!” Charlotte giggles, before we’re interrupted by a knock on the door.

“Open up in there!” Hannah yells. “Birthday girl and bathroom buddy coming in!” Charlotte and I nod at each other, allowing Hannah to quickly (well, as quick as her dress will let her, anyway) enter the room, followed closely by Viks.

“Do- do you suppose it’s Hannah?” I ask. “She’s not drinking alcohol, but she’s had a constant need for the toilet…”

“Who says it’s Hannah who’s using the toilet?” Charlotte whispers to me as we head back to the main room. “Viks has been in there as much as she has.”

“…And did you notice how Krystie’s and Mary’s corsets weren’t laced as tight as ours?” I ask, staring at the aforementioned two women fanning themselves on one of the room’s many couches.

“They’ve had stomach flu recently, they’re still feeling a little sensitive,” Charlotte explains. “…Or maybe it’s morning sickness?”

“EXACTLY,” I say with a smug smile.

“Could…” Charlotte starts carefully, obviously bringing up a delicate topic. “Could it- could it be Stuart’s? I mean, you hear about women having a sex change to become men but still getting pregnant…”

“No,” I reply firmly. “He had the ‘necessary equipment’ removed a while ago.” Much to my surprise, Charlotte then giggles excitedly.

“God, this is so exciting!” Charlotte beams. “I mean, it’s like a real mystery, you know? We’re kinda like a female Sherlock and John!”

“Except neither of us look like Benedict Cumberbatch,” I quip, sticking my tongue out at my BFF. “Whoever it is who took the test, they obviously don’t want to tell us just yet, and we should respect that, let them tell us.”

“You’re right, you’re right,” Charlotte sighs. “But I just really want to know who it is! I’m gonna get to plan a baby shower!” I giggle with Charlotte as we rejoin the party, but throughout the night, I can’t help but observe the other four Angels much more closely than usual, looking for any signs that they may be expecting…

I eventually head home- to my parents’, where I still live- just after 11:30pm. Rather than try to pile our ridiculous dresses into the back of taxis (or change back into street clothes), we’ve all pre-arranged our lifts home, so at 11:30, Stuart helps to stuff me into the backseat of his sister’s car before getting in the front seat, sighing as he loosens his clothing.

“Thanks for the lift, Emma,” I say to the driver.

“Not a problem Jamie,” Emma replies. “Did you have fun?”

“When I wasn’t trying to keep myself from fainting thanks to this damned corset, yeah!” I joke, making Stuart and Emma laugh.

“The men’s option was hardly any better,” Stuart complains. “This cummerbund, I might as well have been wearing a corset.”

“Oh, like you know what that feels like,” Emma teases.

“And I don’t ever want to,” Stuart retorts. “It’s embarrassing enough I’ll be getting home BEFORE my baby sister!”

“Welcome to getting old,” Emma jokes.

“No, I’m not going to be like you, middle-aged at 26,” Stuart laughs. “Settling down, eventually starting a family… I dunno if I’d EVER be ready for that.”

“Well I guess for you two it’s different,” Emma says. “I don’t mean any offence by this, obviously, but as you two would have to adopt to have kids, you have the option of waiting until you’re ready. Some people aren’t so lucky.” I’m almost bouncing up and down in my seat as Stuart & his sister discuss families. I know I shouldn’t, but I’m so desperate to gossip I can barely contain myself.

“Don’t tell me Lee’s knocked you up?” Stuart asks teasingly.

“No,” Emma sighs. “No, no, no, no. NO.”

“Aww, I was kinda looking forward to being ‘Uncle Stu’,” Stuart jokes. “Guess I’ll have to wait, unless one of the Angels gets pregnant and I can be ‘unofficial Uncle Stu’ to their kid!”

“One of the Angels is pregnant,” I blurt, unable to control my tongue any longer. Luckily, we’re stopped at a red light, otherwise I get the feeling Emma would have just emergency stopped the car.

“…What?” Emma asks.

“Seriously?” Stuart asks incredulously. “Who is it? Is it Krys?”

“…I, um, I don’t know,” I mumble. “When we were in the bathroom Charlotte found a pregnancy test, and it was positive.”

“Well it’s probably hers,” Stuart says.

“Yeah, but why would she use a pregnancy test in a public bathroom when she has her own private one upstairs?” I ask, repeating Charlotte’s earlier argument.

“To make it easier for her to deny that it’s hers?” Stuart muses. “Didn’t you say she was the one who found it?”

“Yeah…” I say. “That’s true…”

After finally releasing myself from my corset and hanging my dress up alongside all my other beautiful costumes (most of which I have, of course, not worn since the first time I wore them), I climb into bed and think over Stuart’s words. It WAS a bit convenient, the way Charlotte found the pregnancy test…

I wake up the following morning at 9am, and quickly run through my morning routine, wanting to get dressed so I can get round to Charlotte’s as fast as possible. As it’s freezing outside I opt for ‘warmth with style’ for my look, pulling on a comfortable short-sleeved bodysuit and a warm pair of thick black tights. I pull on a tight black miniskirt and finish off with a tight, ribbed red sweater and a pair of 4” heeled ankle booties. After applying my usual liberal amount of make-up, perfume and jewellery, I grab my bag and my keys and head out to my car, barely stopping to say goodbye to my parents on the way.

En route to Charlotte’s house I stop off at a convenience store, taking advantage of their self-service checkouts to purchase another pregnancy test- just in case Stuart was right. Thankful that no paparazzi were following me- buying a pregnancy test would’ve been a hell of a thing to try to explain, after all- I eventually arrive at Charlotte’s to be greeted with hugs by both herself and Keith.

“Done some shopping?” Keith asks as I drop my carrier bag in the cloakroom.

“Just a few toiletries,” I lie as I take off my booties and crash on my sofa.

“I’ve told Keith about the test,” Charlotte explains. “Obviously his first reaction was sheer panic that he was about to become a dad, so he made me take another one then and there.”

“…And?” I ask, breaking the awkward silence.

“Not pregnant,” Keith confirms. Oh well, I’m sure the pregnancy test I bought just now will come in useful at some point…

“So whose was it?” I ask. “It’s not like we have access to a DNA testing lab, after all.”

“Is it really too much to ask to wait for whoever it is to come forward themselves?” Keith asks exasperatedly.

“Is it really too much to ask to expect girls to not gossip about their friends?” I ask sarcastically.

“Point taken,” Keith sighs. “You’re all signed to Joshua, surely whoever it is will have told him first? It’ll probably have an impact on the series you’re making.”

“Are you kidding?” Charlotte asks. “If anything it’ll get us loads more publicity, Joshua’s probably over the moon! Think about it: a new generation of Angels already in the making!”

“Or whoever it is will refuse to let their kid be used as a publicity stunt and break from the group,” I muse sadly. “You know if it’s Viks, she won’t let her kid be broadcast, and I doubt Mary would either.”

“Don’t be so sure about Mary, she’s practically royalty in Ireland now,” Charlotte says with a smile. “And can you believe Viks, hooking up with Jonathan?”

“Tell me about it!” I breathe excitedly. “I had no idea she was so, you know, hungry!”

“Hello PlayStation!” Keith states dramatically, accurately sensing that a girly gossip session was about to start- and sure enough, we spend the next few hours talking endlessly about not just the pregnancy, but every other topic under the sun.

After a day of non-stop gossip and DVDs, I eventually depart just after 7pm, still no closer to figuring out which of the Angels is expecting a baby.

“God, I wish you still lived here,” Charlotte complains, hugging me as I walk to my car.

“Keith not enough for you?” I joke, releasing myself from Charlotte.

“Is a boyfriend AND a BFF under the same roof too much to ask for?” Charlotte moans.

“Besides, Keith’s turned my bedroom into his game room,” I sigh. “Couldn’t believe it when I first saw it. And smelled it! It smells like ‘boy’. Doubt I could ever sleep in it again even if I tried!” Despite Charlotte’s prolonged pout, I close my car door and head back home, kicking off my booties and crashing down on my sofa, phone in hand.

“Hi mum, hi dad,” dad jokes as I curl up on the sofa.

“Hi,” I sigh, checking the messages on my phone. “I’m only gone 20 minutes and already Charlotte’s sent me 3 texts.”

“Is she still trying to persuade you to move back in with her?” Dad asks, to which I nod in response. “I’m glad you’re still here with us, especially at Christmas. This’ll be our first ‘proper’ Christmas in- well, ever, I guess. I just wish your grandparents were still around to share it with their granddaughter.” I sigh as I remember my father’s parents, both of whom died before I was 10.

“Do you think they’d have, you know, accepted me for who I am?” I ask.

“I’d have made them,” dad says confidently. “God knows you didn’t deserve the reaction you got from me, I’d have moved heaven and Earth to make sure you didn’t get it from them.”

“…And Grandma Joan?” I ask hesitantly.

“Your mum’s going to see her tomorrow,” dad explains solemnly. “Obviously she doesn’t know about you, and even if we told her, with the Alzheimer’s and all…” I nod quietly- as desperate as I am to be accepted by my family, I need to remember that there are other members of my family whose medical needs are greater than my own.

“Does she ever ask about me?” I whisper.

“I doubt she even remembers you,” dad says sadly. “Certainly the last time I went, she didn’t recognise me.”

“Do- do you wish you were a granddad?” I ask tentatively.

“Why, are you pregnant?” Dad jokes, laughing a little. “Seriously though, I’m not quite ready to be a granddad just yet. When you settle down with a nice man and choose to adopt- that’s when I’ll be ready. Just as long as I’m not dead or senile by then, of course! A better question is, do you wish you were a mum?” I take a deep breath- that’s not a question I ever thought I’d be asked.

“I… really don’t know,” I sigh. “Maybe someday. I don’t know how I’d handle myself around children, especially babies…”

“For your first couple of years we only held on by the skin of our teeth,” dad jokes. “I’m sure you’d make a great mother. Some day.” For one of my best friends that day may be sooner than they think…

I eventually get my head down in bed just after 10pm, but I stay awake until after midnight chatting with the girls on my iPad, talking about our upcoming TV debut, the party, the new ‘power couple’ and all sorts of trivia. Charlotte, of course, took the opportunity to remind everyone that 12 months ago, she was in the Strictly Come Dancing grand final! Despite the volume of gossip, however, not a word was spoken about any expected arrivals.

I wake up the following morning just after 8am, wincing at it still being gloomy outside, and run through my morning routine before getting dressed for the day. Krystie’s dance school is closed over Christmas, but it’s still a Monday and she’s insisted on putting on a lesson just for the six of us this morning. After eating breakfast and running through my morning routine and tying my long blonde hair back into a tight ponytail, I pull on my ballet uniform- a pair of pink tights and a black long-sleeved leotard- before pulling on a black button-up denim skirt and a grey patterned jumper. I pack my dance bag with my ballet slippers and pointe shoes and include a plain black tank leotard just in case Krystie orders me to change upon arrival. I picked out the long sleeved leotard as Charlotte’s being growing her hair longer, and she always wears spaghetti-strapped leotards, so it helps other people tell us apart! After slipping on a pair of black flats and bidding my parents farewell, I head straight to Krystie’s studio where, much to my surprise, Stuart’s car is parked in my usual spot. Heading inside, I see my favourite transman stood next to a familiar young woman.

“Hi Jamie!” Stuart says with a smile. “You remember my little sister Rebecca, right?”

“Yeah, hi,” I say, confused by the presence of the two.

“Hi,” Rebecca says nervously, shaking my hand.

“Why are you so nervous?” I ask, giggling a little. “It’s not like we haven’t met before!”

“That’s what I tried to tell her,” Stuart chuckles. “But ever since the Angels became a brand, it’s all she can talk about. She’s pretty much the most popular girl at uni just because she knows you and Krystie. God knows there’s no other reason…” I can’t help but giggle as Rebecca gave her brother a soft punch in the ribs.

“I’m nervous because Stu and Krystie are letting me join in your lesson,” Rebecca explains. “Krys is my teacher anyway, but I always wanted to be one of the Angels, properly one of the Angels… This is kinda their Christmas present to me.” Inwardly, I’m a little chagrined that Krystie would allow outsiders into our private lesson so easily, but Rebecca’s a cool kid, and it is just for today…

“Well then, for one day only, welcome to the Angels!” I say happily, giving the teenager a quick hug.

“Oh my god, this is so cool!” Rebecca enthuses. As the other girls arrive, Stu and I introduce Rebecca and explain the situation. Unsurprisingly, it’s Charlotte whom Rebecca gushes over the most, and whilst my BFF does soak up the adulation, she makes sure to talk up our other friends as well- especially Viks, whom Charlotte has taken a real liking to over the past few months. Soon enough, Krystie orders us into the studio, and after the seven of us strip down to our leotards and tights and warm up- and Krystie’s had a chance to tie my bun- the ‘lesson’ gets underway.

“Girls, I’m sure you’ve noticed that today, we are seven,” Krystie says with a smile. “As part of her Christmas present, Rebecca Milton, baby sister of the only ex-boyfriend of mine that’s worth a damn-“

“Thanks!” Stuart interrupts from the back of the studio, making everyone laugh.

“-Will be joining in today’s lesson,” Krystie concludes, shooting a devilish smile at Stuart. “So, Becca, you’re already wearing your pointes, how about you show us old fogeys some of your moves?” Smiling nervously, Rebecca takes a deep breath and starts running through several dance routines, performing the steps with flawless ease. As much as it pains me to say it- she’s a much better ballerina than I am!

As Krystie directs Rebecca’s dancing, I casually move over to where Charlotte is stood.

“Hey Charlie,” I whisper.

“Hey Jay,” Charlotte says, stroking the sleeve of my leotard. “I love that leo, is that one of your freebies?”

“It actually isn’t,” I say, stretching the fabric to give Charlotte a better view. “Saw it on their store a few months ago and couldn’t resist.”

“You know you’re a model when you own a hundred leotards and spend money buying another one,” Charlotte jokes. “Do you still wear them as day clothes?” I simply shrug and grin in response.

“Got to get my use out of them somehow!” I giggle. “So, figured out who it is yet?”

“Are you saying you HAVE?” Charlotte sighs. “You’d have thought that with them all wearing skin-tight Lycra it’d have made the job easier, but nope.”

“Jamie! Charlotte!” Krystie calls. “Get your pointes on, do you remember that first routine you did for Ellen, the ‘twins’ one?”

“Probably,” I say, annoyed at my conversation being interrupted.

“Good,” Krystie says. “You’re doing it now for Becca!” Charlotte and I both giggle and roll our eyes as we swap our canvas ballet slippers for our expensive satin pointe shoes, smiling all throughout our impromptu recital of the dance Ellen choreographed for us last year.

“So cool!” Rebecca enthused at the end of the dance.

“It’s cooler with the proper costumes,” I laugh, smoothing out my leotard.

“Oh, well trust Miss Burke to ruin the surprise!” Krystie mock-sighs.

“…I wouldn’t have ruined it if I knew what the surprise actually WAS, Miss Fullerton,” I say, sticking my tongue out at Krystie and earning her tongue in return.

“Well I WAS going to record the seven of us dancing a routine I choreographed, in full costume…” Krystie states. “Dunno if it’s worth bothering now…” Immediately, I find myself on my knees, jokingly begging forgiveness.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” I mock-wail as the other girls laugh. “Please forgive me!”

“Tell you what,” Krystie laughs. “You go and get the costumes, and you’re forgiven.” Giggling excitedly, I skip off to the storage room and return a couple of minutes later dragging a clothes rack, filled with beautiful pink tutus that elicit gasps of awe from the other six girls.

“They’re beautiful!” Rebecca coos as she feels the flimsy yet stiff net of the tutu.

“They belong to the studio, so they’re not to take home,” Krystie explains. “Well, unless you’re Becca, anyway!” Rebecca gasps excitedly, giving Krystie a quick hug.

“Thank you so much!” Rebecca squeaks. “Can I change into it now?”

“That’s what they’re here for!” Krystie laughs.

“I’ll be in reception then,” Stuart jokes, picking up his iPad. “Last thing I need to see today is my baby sister’s boobs, thank you very much.”

“BOY!” The seven of us yell after Stuart as he leave the studio.

“And proud!” Stuart retorts with a laugh. As Krystie and Mary help Rebecca with her costume, I hint to Charlotte to go and help Viks with her tutu whilst I help Hannah with hers.

“Hey,” I say to the statuesque blonde girl. “You’ve been uncharacteristically quiet today.”

“I’m just feeling a little under the weather,” Hannah complains. “I’ve not been sleeping well, having some difficulty keeping food down, that’s all.”

“Oh really?” I enquire, making several mental notes.

“Yeah, I always seem to get ill at Christmas,” Hannah sighs as I lace her into her pink tutu.

“It’s nothing in particular causing it this year, then?” I ask, stripping off my leotard and stepping into my costume.

“That amazing corset I wore two days ago, maybe,” Hannah jokes as she laces me in. “Oh my god,” Hannah exclaims with shock. “I just realised, we need tiaras with these costumes!” The previously downbeat girl, now bubbly again after getting into her tutu, grabs my hand and drags me toward the store closet, from where we return mere seconds later with seven sparkly tiaras in our hands.

“I crown thee,” Hannah says with mock pomp and circumstances, “Princess Rebecca of West London!” Rebecca giggles as she inspects herself in the studio mirrors.

“Stu!” Krystie yells. “Get back in here!” Hesitantly, Stuart pokes his head around the studio doors, to be greeted by the sight of his younger sister in full costume, balancing en pointe in an elegant ballet pose.

“Very beautiful,” Stuart says with a proud brother’s smile.

“Get photos! Get lots of photos!” Rebecca orders as she tries to maintain her balance. Still laughing, Stuart obliges, taking photos of not just Rebecca, but all seven of us in our amazing costumes. After 90 minutes’ practice, we run through the routine Krystie put together for us- making several mistakes along the way, of course- as Stuart videos us. As the morning draws to a close, none of us want to remove our tutus- least of all Rebecca, who’s had a wide grin on her face all throughout the day!

“This has been the most amazing Christmas present ever,” the 18 year old girl enthuses. “Thank you all so, so much!”

“Hey, any, um, sister of Stuart’s is a sister of mine!” Hannah says, though it’s plainly obvious from her voice that she’s more tired than usual.

“Didn’t you say you were a singer?” Charlotte asks, making Rebecca blush slightly.

“Only in that I occasionally do some singing,” Rebecca laughs. “I’m studying music at uni, here in London.”

“Ah, like your brother?” I ask, to which Rebecca nods. “Charlotte, were you suggesting that miss Milton here should get professional representation, maybe from a certain Nigerian gentleman?”

“Maaaaaaybe,” Charlotte says coyly, making everyone giggle. “She’s certainly got enough dancing talent, that’s for sure!”

“AND she’d make a gorgeous model too,” Hannah says.

“No she wouldn’t!” Stuart yells from the back of the studio, earning himself boos from all seven girls- not least his sister!

“You know what,” Rebecca says confidently. “Just for that, I AM going to give Joshua a call after Christmas!” The studio breaks out in cheers and a round of applause as Rebecca defiantly sticks her tongue out at her brother, who simply rolls his eyes and laughs in response. After changing back into my street clothes (leaving the leotard and tights in place for warmth), I offer Charlotte a lift home, which she happily accepts.

“Rebecca’s cool,” Charlotte says with a smile. “Reckon she’s ‘Angel’ quality?”

“I dunno,” I confess. “You’d have thought I’d be used to it by now but it was actually kinda uncomfortable spending the whole morning with someone who is basically a fan. Even if I do already know her through Stuart.”

“Yeah, I get what you mean,” Charlotte muses. “She did seem a little… Eager. Heh, eager enough that Joshua’d probably love her!” I giggle a little at Charlotte’s comparison.

“She’s also kinda young,” I muse.

“I think she said she was 19 in March,” Charlotte says. “That’s no younger than Krystie was when we started hanging out with her.”

“Well either way, it’s Joshua’s decision,” I say, making Charlotte nod in agreement. “I kinda miss being able to choose who to be friends with!”

“I’m happy with the five I have,” Charlotte laughs. “So, who’s your money on?”

“Hannah,” I state confidently. “Got to be her. Did you notice how subdued she was compared to normal?”

“I’m not so sure,” Charlotte says. “I reckon Mary, notice how she didn’t really talk to anyone apart from Krystie? I reckon she’s told her, and is waiting to tell the rest of us.”

“Or it could be that Krystie is confiding in her and she doesn’t want to risk ruining the secret,” I sigh. “Doubt we’ll get told tonight, either…”

After dropping Charlotte off, I head home and crash on the sofa, chatting on Facebook to Stuart and the girls. The ‘tonight’ I was referring to when talking to Charlotte was a private mini-party Charlotte’s hosting, just for the Angels and their boyfriends, which I’m secretly dreading due to my current lack of a boyfriend. It was two years ago- almost to the day- that I got together with Paul, and that’s an anniversary I’m trying very hard not to think about. Still, a party is a party, and five female friends are better than one boyfriend any day of the week, so just after dinner, I head upstairs and, after fixing my make-up, change into a comfortable black bodysuit and sheer black tights, before throwing on a short grey sweater dress with a wide black belt. I pull on a pair of very high-heeled brown thigh-high boots. Smirking at my warm, comfortable but still extremely sexy look, I head downstairs, where Viks is already waiting to pick me up (I’m not driving as I refuse to be sober whilst I’m reminded that I’m single at Christmas!).

“Hello sexy boots!” Hannah jokes as I slide into the back seat of Viks’s car. “Seriously, where did you get those? I’ve been looking for a pair like that for ages!”

“I’ve had them ages,” I laugh. “Think they came from a footwear shoot about 18 months ago.”

“Note to self- ask Joshua to get me more footwear shoots!” Hannah laughs.

“How are Jonathan and Martin getting there?”

“They’re not going, the useless BOYS!” Hannah sighs.

“In fairness, Jonathan’s mum is only in town for this week,” Viks laughs. “Ever tried saying no to Joshua?”

“Point taken,” I giggle. “This is gonna sound selfish but I’m kinda relieved- I really wasn’t looking forward to being the only single girl there.”

“Isn’t Krystie single?” Viks asks.

“She’s kinda got a ‘friends with benefits’ thing going on with Stuart, I think,” Hannah explains. “Dunno exactly how THAT would work…”

“On the plus side,” I say tentatively, “at least there’d be no risk of accidental pregnancy…” The car falls quiet- I’ve almost certainly touched a sensitive spot…

“Yeah, that’s true,” Hannah laughs. “God knows that the LAST thing I need right now!” Okay, I think to myself, it’s not Hannah then. Unless she’s being overly defensive…

We arrive at Charlotte’s place soon afterward to find everyone else- Mary & her boyfriend, Krystie & Stuart and (obviously) Charlotte & Keith- already there.

“It’s just us girls,” Hannah dramatically sighs to Charlotte as we’re greeted with hugs. “Our boyfriends are being useless tonight…”

“Those of us that have one,” I self-pityingly moan, earning a tight hug from Hannah.

“Don’t be sympathetic toward her,” Krystie orders with a laugh. “I’ve seen your YouTube channel, you can’t complain about being single when you’re getting literally hundreds of boys a DAY throwing themselves at you!” I giggle a little at Krystie’s mockery.

“Okay, point taken,” I say with a laugh, following the rest of the party into Charlotte’s main room and crashing on one of the chairs.

“No cameras tonight?” Viks asks.

“Nah,” Charlotte explains. “Felt we needed a night just to ourselves.”

“I’ll try not to take it too personally that my birthday wasn’t one of those nights,” Viks jokes, prompting Charlotte to jump up and give her a hug.

“Next time just do what I did, and leave the country!” Mary jokes. “More importantly… Jamie, tell us NOW where you got those AMAZING boots!”

“I wish I could remember!” I laugh, stroking the soft leather covering my knees. “But you’re right, I need to wear these more often!” Okay, so not Mary either- she’s the most level-headed of all of us, she wouldn’t be spending money on expensive boots with a baby on the way… Would she?

“Well I’m Googling them as soon as I get home,” Mary laughs. “Dan, hope you’ve still got space on your credit card!”

“The poor thing’s screaming for mercy as it is this month!” Dan jokes, wrapping a protective arm around his girlfriend. Is it strained because they’re buying baby supplies? If Mary was pregnant, surely Dan would be the first person she’d tell?

“Yeah, I doubt any of us need any extra expense right now,” Charlotte laughs, cottoning on to my line of questioning.

“Says the millionaire!” Krystie teases.

“Yeah, god knows I could with a little extra money right now,” Hannah sighs. “I’d settle for a pair of ridiculously sexy boots, though!”

A little while later, I head into the kitchen to help out Charlotte & Keith, who are busy ferrying food through to the main room.

“Okay, you’re right,” I sigh. “It’s obviously Mary.”

“No way,” Charlotte laughs. “It’s got to be Hannah. You can tell just by looking at her!”

“Yeah, but Mary and Dan spending more money than usual…” I argue.

“…Hannah needing more income?” Charlotte counters.

“Please, for the love of god, just ask them!” Keith sighs.

“It’s got to be Mary,” I argue. “She hasn’t told us because she wants to tell her parents first, and she wants to tell them face-to-face, which she can only do when she goes to Ireland for the New Year.”

“I can’t wait until the new year to find out!” Charlotte squeaks. “Seriously, it’s GOT to be Hannah.”

“How about,” Keith sighs, “I open a bottle of champagne and offer it to everyone? If anyone protests that they’re driving, we’ll pay for them to get a taxi. The only one who refuses the drink is the one who’s expecting.”

“Oh, you sneaky man!” Charlotte giggles, slipping a hand in Keith’s back pocket. “That’s brilliant! I love the way you constantly remind me why I love you so much.” Keith and Charlotte exchange a brief kiss- that I desperately try not to pay any attention to.

“I’ll get the glasses,” I say, glad for the distraction.

Less than two minutes later, Keith and I re-enter the main room carrying platters filled with glasses of champagne.

“I figured if Christmas wasn’t the time to break out the good stuff, when was?” Charlotte explains as she hands out the glasses. The boys, of course, immediately grab their glasses, as do Krystie and, much to mine & Charlotte’s surprise, Hannah. When I take the platter toward Viks & Mary, however, I encounter the first dissent.

“No thanks, driving,” Viks says politely.

“Same,” Mary says.

“We’ll book you both taxis, you can pick up your cars tomorrow,” Charlotte says confidently, forcing the glasses into the girls’ hands.

“Fair enough then!” Viks says happily, but Mary is still unhappy.

“Really, I’d prefer not to,” Mary says, clearly nervous about something. Dan’s also holding her hand very tightly…

“Why not?” Charlotte asks innocently.

“Because I’m pregnant, okay!?” Mary snaps, before breaking down in tears. “I’m- I’m sorry, I’m so- I just- I didn’t want it to come out like this…” Immediately, everyone in the room gathers round to comfort the distraught Irish girl.

“Oh my god,” Hannah says, her eyes wide with shock. “How- how long?”

“I think Mary needs some air,” Dan says firmly, leading his sobbing girlfriend out of the room and into the entrance hall. The main room stands in stunned silence, unable to comprehend what had just transpired.

“I think we should raise a toast,” Charlotte says stoically. “To Mary Logan, an amazing friend, and no doubt an amazing mother.”

“To Mary,” we all say quietly.

“And to Daniel Carter, the best dad-to-be in the world,” Keith says.

“To Dan,” we all toast, before the awkward silence returns.

“Someone should check on her,” Charlotte says, before correcting herself. “Them, someone should check on them, see if they’re alright.” Charlotte looks pointedly at Krystie who simply shrugs her shoulders.

“Don’t look at me,” Krystie complains. “This is the first I’ve heard about it too.” I take a deep breath- it was myself and Charlotte who conducted the ‘investigation’, it’s us who should take responsibility for the fallout.

“I’ll look in on them,” I say quietly, handing my champagne glass to Charlotte and heading out into the hall. Much to my surprise, the sound of Mary’s crying is coming from Charlotte’s dance studio. Gingerly, I knock on the door.

“Hey,” I whisper. “Can I come in?” Unsurprisingly, it’s Dan who answers the door.

“Hey Jamie,” Dan says uneasily. “I… Don’t think it’s a good idea.”

“Everyone downstairs is worried sick,” I explain. “We just want to make sure she’s okay…”

“Well, she clearly isn’t,” Dan says flatly. “I know you care, but right now, we need to be alone.”

“Well make sure Mary knows that when she needs us, we’ll be there,” I say. “24 hours a day, 7 days a week, we’ll never stop loving her and we’ll never stop supporting her.”

“J-Jamie?” Mary asks, her voice still wobbly from crying.

“Mary?” I reply. “C-Can I come in?” Mary obviously nods her consent, as Dan steps aside and lets me enter the studio. For Mary’s sake, I try not to wince as I hear my heavy heels clomp across the polished wooden floor.

“Hey,” I say, sitting down cross-legged next to Mary. “Is- is there anything I can do?” Mary tearfully shakes her head.

“I’ve ruined everything,” Mary sobs. “I was going to go to university, we were going to be a rich and famous group of models… I’m so sorry!” Immediately, I lean forward and embrace the distraught girl.

“You’ve ruined nothing!” I insist. “None of that crap’s important, what’s important is that you’re healthy and happy. Are… Are you keeping the baby?” Mary tearfully nods.

“You know I was raised Catholic,” Mary whispers. “I don’t believe in everything I was told when I was a girl but I- I just can’t terminate a life, it’s like I can sense it inside of me, growing…”

“Mary and I have already agreed to get married,” Dan explains, making my jaw drop.

“Oh my god,” I exclaim happily. “You’re engaged!?”

“We are now,” Mary says with a smile. “I was hoping to keep that a secret too, at least until I got back from Belfast.”

“Sorry,” Dan grimaces, but much to the relief of both of us, Mary simply stands up and gives her new fiancé a big hug.

“Guess there’s no reason to hide this anymore,” Mary laughs, retrieving a small diamond ring from her bra and slipping it on her finger.

“It’s beautiful,” I coo, examining the ring.

“Just like its owner,” Dan says, giving Mary a long kiss. “Are you ready to go downstairs?” Mary takes a deep breath and nods her head.

“Can’t hide forever,” Mary says, wiping the last of her tears from her eyes. I follow the couple downstairs, and can’t help but grin widely when they open the doors to the main room to be greeted by thunderous applause and cheers.

“Thanks guys,” Mary says, still highly emotional. “Thank you all so much!”

“No, thank YOU for being you,” Hannah says, giving Mary a long hug.

“To answer the next inevitable questions,” Mary says with a beautiful smile, “I’m due at the start of July, I don’t know if it’s a boy or a girl, and yes,” Mary continues, holding up her new engagement ring, “Dan and I are getting married!”

“Oh my god, Mary!!!” Krystie exclaims excitedly, rushing forward and examining Mary’s ring. “This is so awesome!” Krystie gives Mary a long, tight hug, before realising her mistake in holding Mary so tight and patting her belly!

“And yes, of course you’ll be my maid of honour,” Mary says to Krystie, who simply gasps happily and gives Mary another long hug.

“This is so A-MA-ZING!!!!” Krystie squeaks, bouncing up and down whilst she hangs on to the bride-to-be.

“And Jamie, Charlotte, Hannah, Viks?” Mary says with a smile. “Assuming you’re all cool with a weekend in Belfast, you’ll all be bridesmaids!”

“Woohoo!” Hannah and Charlotte simultaneously yell, before the whole room descends on Mary in a loving group hug.

Five minutes later, after the room settles down a bit, Mary drags myself and Krystie over to a quiet corner of the main room. Understandably, Dan- as the groom- and father-to-be- is having a lot of attention lavished upon him, so Mary takes advantage of this to sneak a quiet word with myself and her maid of honour.

“I didn’t want the other girls to hear this,” Mary says quietly. “But I want you two to be godmothers to my baby.” Both Krystie and I gasp and are nearly moved to tears by the request.

“Oh my god, that’s so amazing,” Krystie says, giving Mary yet another hug.

“Thank you, this is such an honour,” I say, giving Mary a hug of my own. “But am I, you know, ‘qualified’ to be a godmother to a Catholic baby?” Mary simply laughs loudly at my concern.

“Hell, can’t see why not,” Mary giggles. “You’re legally female, and I’m not due until July, so you’ll be anatomically female at that time as well, and there’s no mention of genetics in the bible so I’m just gonna go ahead and assume they don’t care about that!” I giggle again and exchange another hug with the expectant mother.

“Besides,” Mary continues, “who better to be godmothers to a Catholic baby than a transsexual agnostic and a bisexual atheist?” The three of us laugh and exchange a final group hug, but I feel a sinking feeling as I see Charlotte- who’s talking with Keith and Dan- glance over in my direction.

“What about Charlotte?” I whisper nervously. “She’ll see this as a snub…”

“It’s my baby,” Mary says confidently. “I’ll choose who I want to be godmother.” I nod in agreement, but I can’t help but feeling that this may undo some of the hard work I’ve put into repairing my relationship with my BFF…

“Hey Jay,” Charlotte says to me ten minutes later as I’m clearing away empty champagne glasses.

“Hey Charlotte,” I say happily, still buzzing from Mary’s request.

“I saw you and Krystie talking to Mary privately,” Charlotte teases. “Don’t try to hide it, I know what’s going on- you and her have been chosen for godmothers, right?” I nearly drop my tray of glasses as Charlotte confronts me with this information.

“It- it wasn’t my decision,” I say nervously.

“Oh relax!” Charlotte insists, playfully grabbing my shoulder. “After what happened in the summer I knew there was no chance I’d get picked. And besides, you and Krystie deserve it the most. I guess I’ll just have to settle for being godmother to YOUR kids if you ever choose to adopt.”

“Umm,” I begin hesitantly, “you DO know I don’t actually believe in god, right?”

“Well, whatever the agnostic or atheist or whatever equivalent of godmother is, then!” Charlotte jokes. “Even though I won’t be any OFFICIAL relative of Mary’s daughter, I’ll still love her live she was my own.”

“…How are you so sure it’ll be a girl?” I ask, giggling as we enter the kitchen.

“Oh come on,” Charlotte laughs. “As if the first child born to one of the Angels would be anything OTHER than a girl!” Charlotte and I share a long giggle before her facial expression suddenly sobers.

“Jamie… Can I tell you a secret?” Charlotte asks quietly.

“Of course,” I whisper back. “You’re my BFF, you can tell me anything, you know that.”

“…I’ve been pregnant before,” Charlotte whispers, causing my jaw to drop.

“Oh my god,” I quietly mumble. “Wh-when? What happened?”

“When you were ‘filling in’ for me, that first week?” Charlotte replies. “Tracking down that doctor wasn’t the only thing on my ‘to-do list’.”

“Did- did you-“ I stammer.

“-Have an abortion?” Charlotte asks. “Yep,” I clamp my hands to my mouth in shock.

“I was only nineteen,” Charlotte sniffs. “I wasn’t ready to be a mother, I know Keith wasn’t ready to be a father… I had my whole career ahead of me… Let’s face it, I’d have been a terrible mum…” Now sniffling myself, I lean forward and give Charlotte a long, tender hug.

“You’d have been a wonderful mother,” I say reassuringly- even if I don’t fully believe my words. “God knows you’re the best sister in the world!”

“Thanks,” Charlotte mumbles. “Obviously you can NOT tell Keith about this.”

“I promise,” I say. “Thank you, thank you for trusting me with this.”

“If I can’t trust my sister, who can I trust?” Charlotte says, laughing as she gives me yet another hug. “Now I’ve shared my secret with you, share yours with me- where DID you get those boots?” I giggle as together, we head back into the party.

I stay at the party until 11pm, when Mary- who, understandably, had been the centre of all attention- declares that she’s feeling tired, so everyone decides to call it a night at that point. As she’s still okay to drive, Mary gives myself, Krystie and (obviously) Dan a lift home.

“Go team godmother!” Krystie laughs.

“Do I not get a say in who’ll be godmother?” Dan moans.

“NO!” We three girls shout simultaneously, breaking down into fits of giggles at Dan’s expense.

“Oh, don’t pout,” Mary chastises. “You get to pick both godfathers, after all!”

“Eh, fair enough,” Dan says. “God a couple of names in mind already.”

“How does it feel to be a father?” I ask Dan, mindful that with all the attention I lavished on Mary, she won’t be the child’s only parent.

“It feels pretty good, actually,” Dan says. “I mean, yes, it’s a surprise, but it’s definitely a pleasant one. I kinda always knew Mary would be the girl I’d end up starting a family with, it’s just come a bit sooner than expected.”

“Aww,” Mary says happily. “I love you so much, hubby to be!”

“I love you too, wifey to be!” Dan laughs as Krystie and I playfully roll our eyes at each other on the back seat.

I climb into bed almost immediately as I arrive home, tired from the night’s revelations. Between Mary wanting me to be godmother and Charlotte confiding in me about her dark secret… I’m amazed by how much the girls trust me, given that this time last year, I had a ‘dark secret’ of my own that I probably wouldn’t have revealed to this day if I hadn’t been forced. Of course, if I hadn’t revealed the secret, I’d probably still have Paul, and would be celebrating our two year anniversary… But if I still had him, I probably wouldn’t have Hannah or Viks in my life, I probably wouldn’t have the close relationship I now have with my parents… And if there’s something I’ve learned over the past few months, it’s to be grateful for the things I do have, rather than regret the things I’ve lost.

I wake up on Christmas Eve morning feeling re-energised. After running through my morning routine I pick out a very basic outfit for the day- a plain black skirt, ribbed black tights and a dark green sweater- and head downstairs, crashing on my sofa with my trusty iPad in hand. As a group, we’ve agreed that Christmas Eve will be strictly a day for family only (Charlotte and Mary going to their boyfriends’ houses for obvious reasons), but that doesn’t mean we have to cut off all communication with each other! Immediately as I sit down, I open up a new Facebook chat window to all five girls and start typing.

‘Happy Christmas Eve!!!!!’ I type, getting immediately smiley face responses from Krystie and Hannah.

‘Happy Christmas Angels!’ Hannah types, the excitement in her words plain to see.

‘You at Martin’s house today?’ Krystie asks.

‘I have to be, given that he skipped out last night!’ Hannah replies.

‘What was his excuse, anyway?’ I ask. ‘He missed all the fun, after all!’

‘Oh, it’s nothing,’ Hannah replies. ‘Anyway, how’s the mum-to-be this morning?’ The conversation pauses briefly as we wait for our Irish friend to reply.

‘Still in bed then, I take it,’ Krystie types.

‘I hope she’s not throwing up,’ I type.

‘Oh god, she might be,’ Krystie types, clearly worried that she may have made a faux pas. ‘Mary, when you read this, sorry if you have got morning sickness!’

‘Another reason I’m never getting pregnant,’ Charlotte types, joining the conversation.

‘I’ll not tell Keith you said that,’ I type with a winking smiley face, earning a smiley face response in a private chat window.

‘Still can’t believe our little ‘family’ is growing,’ Charlotte muses.

‘Viks and I can always leave if you’d prefer,’ Hannah types with a sticking-out-tongue smiley.

‘Don’t you dare!’ Charlotte types. ‘As far as I’m concerned, the more friends I have, the better!’

‘Good, because I have no intention of going anywhere!’ Viks types with a smiley face.

‘Speaking of ‘the more friends the better’…’ I type, ‘What do you think to Stu’s sister? She’s clearly desperate to be an Angel.’

‘Becca’s cool,’ Krystie types. ‘She’s been in my advanced adult class for months now and is super-talented, I’ve actually told her to call Joshua more than once, dunno whether or not she has though.’

‘Problem is,’ Hannah replies, ‘if we start letting more people in, where does it stop? We can’t just let anyone who wants to be an Angel be one…’

‘This is true,’ I type with an air of regret in my voice. ‘I kinda miss the days when I could make friends without them having to sign contracts first!’ I’m greeted with a barrage of thumbs-ups from the girls- even Charlotte.

“I’ll get onto her to pester Joshua again,’ Krystie types.

‘Is this Rebecca we’re talking about?’ Mary asks.

‘Hey, mum-to-be!’ Hannah immediately replies.

‘Whoa, mama!’ Krystie types.

‘Yes, yes, thanks,’ Mary types. ‘And to answer your earlier question, no, no morning ‘sickness’.’

‘Good,’ I reply with a smiley. ‘Dan’s folks thrilled at the prospect of becoming grandparents?’

‘They already are,’ Mary replies. ‘As are mine, thank god. You know I’m the youngest of five, if I was the first one to have kids I dread to think what their reaction would be!’

‘Lol,’ everyone replies.

“So much for spending the day with family,” dad jokes as he sees me immersed in my iPad. “Going to talk to us at any point?”

“We’re discussing business,” I half-lie.

“Well take a day off,” dad advises. “God knows you’ve gone through enough this year that you’ve earned some relaxation.”

“I am relaxing!” I laugh, causing dad to smile and sigh as I turn my attention back to the girls.

However, I do eventually end up putting the iPad down and eating Christmas dinner with my family. Needless to say, both parents were proud that I’d been selected as godmother to Mary’s unborn child, even though like me neither of them are especially religious. Mention of Mary’s upcoming marriage got dad talking- even if wasn’t 100% serious- about one day walking me down the aisle, something I never thought I’d hear him say!

I eventually get to bed at 11pm, but I hardly sleep at all during the night, much like I couldn’t on Christmas Eve when I was a little boy. Even though I now earn a very healthy amount of money each year and pretty much buy anything I want as soon as I want it, this will be my first Christmas under my parents’ roof in six years, and the thought of there being a pile of presents waiting downstairs for me- not to mention my parents’ reactions to the expensive gifts I’ve bought for them- is almost more than I can bear.

Needless to say, I’m awake and downstairs in my dressing gown just before 6am on Christmas morning, eagerly waiting for my parents to arrive so we can start unwrapping our presents. My parents have definitely spoiled me this year- my dad doesn’t earn as much as me, but he does have a very good job, and I am their only child, so I’m not going to say no to all the treats they’ve lavished on me this year!

Even though they’ve been specifically instructed NOT to buy me clothes, I still find several dresses and skirts in amongst my presents, and even- despite the massive pile I still have upstairs- a new ballet leotard from my mother. Most of my gifts are more personal, though- framed photos of me with my grandparents, DVDs of my favourite TV shows & movies, a new silver bracelet and several other trinkets, including- much to my dad’s amusement- a copy of my own 2014 calendar, despite it being sold out just about everywhere! My main present, however- a new laptop computer- is very much appreciated, and earned both my parents grateful hugs and kisses!

My parents were both highly impressed with their own gifts- my mum’s got virtually a whole new wardrobe thanks to the connections I’ve made over the past few months, along with several items of cosmetics and perfume. I’ve also jokingly given her one of the ballet leotards I got in my endorsement, just in case she ever does take Krystie up on her offer of joining her (surprisingly popular) over 50s class! Dad was especially pleased with his own new designer suit, but he was much more pleased with the set of titanium golf clubs he’d been dropping hints about all year!

After a hearty lunch, I change into one of my new long dresses (pulling on sheer black tights underneath, of course) and opened up my iPad to find an Angels conversation already in full swing.

‘Merry Christmas girls!’ I type happily, receiving similar responses from all five of my best friends.

‘Thanks for the calendar!’ All five girls type near-simultaneously- I’d given them the same gag gift my parents had given me, and was expecting this response!

‘You’re very welcome,’ I type with a ‘giggling’ smiley. ‘What’s everyone doing tonight?’

‘TV, especially the Strictly Christmas special,’ Viks replies.

‘Basically that,’ Hannah concurs. ‘Strictly, Call the Midwife, Netflix.’

‘I hope ‘Call the Midwife’ means you’re planning on watching it and not planning me a surprise!’ Mary types to general amusement.

‘Damn, now I have to think of something else to get you!’ Krystie types to mass ‘lol’s.

‘What you got planned, Jamie?’ Charlotte asks.

‘Assuming I stay awake through Doctor Who, the same,’ I reply.

‘Well you’re all welcome at Chez Charlotte for drinks tonight,’ Charlotte types. ‘ESPECIALLY you Jamie, your ‘special’ gift really can’t wait until tomorrow!’ I grin eagerly at Charlotte’s teasing- we’d agreed to exchange our presents to each other on Boxing Day (the calendars aside, of course), but for weeks now Charlotte’s told me about an extra special gift she’d got for me, and the anticipation is almost unbearable!

‘I’ll make my excuses,’ I type.

Sure enough, after the Queen’s Speech, I explain my eagerness to unwrap Charlotte’s ‘special’ present and depart despite my parents’ protests. When I arrive at Charlotte’s house, she’s already waiting on her front doorstep for me, literally bouncing up and down with excitement.

“Hey Jay!” Charlotte says, giving me a tight hug. “CUTE dress!”

“Thanks,” I say, happily returning my BFF’s hug. “Love your dress too, did Keith buy you that?”

“Yep,” Charlotte says proudly, grabbing my hand and leading me indoors, making me stumble a little on the gravel in my stilettos. “He’s finally starting to learn!”

“What’s this ‘extra special’ gift you have for me?” I ask, eager to unwrap my present. In the past, mine & Charlotte’s presents to each other have been particularly special, and even after our difficulties, 2013’s gifts are no different- at the very least, mine isn’t.

“It’s upstairs,” Charlotte says, clearly as eager to give me my present as I am to receive it. “Okay, close your eyes…” Sighing, I dutifully close my eyes and gingerly ease forward as Charlotte leads me into one of the house’s 5 bedrooms.

“Okay,” Charlotte squeaks. “Open them!” I open my eyes, and a wave of emotion hits me as I take in the sight before me. I’m standing in my bedroom. MY bedroom, as it was before I moved out of Charlotte’s house, painstakingly recreated in every way, even down to the fashion magazines on top of my chest of drawers.

“Charlotte…” I whisper, tears welling in my eyes.

“If you’re not ready to move back in yet, that’s okay,” Charlotte says softly. “But your room- and it is YOUR room- will always be here in case you want it.”

“This is…” I say, before cutting my sentence short and wrapping Charlotte in a tight hug. “Thank you, thank you so much!”

“Thank Keith,” Charlotte laughs. “He’s the one who had to give up his games room! But seriously… It’s been too long. I want my BFF back as a permanent fixture in my life. I- I love you, Jamie.”

“I love you, Charlotte,” I whisper, still blinking tears out of my eyes. “God, my present’s going to be pathetic compared to this…”

“Well I haven’t opened it yet,” Charlotte giggles. “Let’s get downstairs, quick!” Giggling uncontrollably, I grab Charlotte’s hand as she leads us into the lounge, where her presents from (and to) the Angels lay unopened on the sofa. Smiling- and still emotional from my own Christmas surprise- I hand Charlotte the small box I’d carefully gift-wrapped the previous week.

“Okay, so jewellery,” Charlotte says with a smile, before she tears the wrapping paper off and opens the box, holding up the silver jewelled bracelet inside.

“Jamie…” Charlotte says, though I can tell she’s slightly underwhelmed. “It’s beautiful.”

“Note the five crystals on the top,” I say, fastening the bracelet around Charlotte’s wrist.

“They’re very pretty,” Charlotte says, examining the jewels.

“They’re me,” I say proudly. “Well, me, Mary, Krystie, Hannah and Viks. Viks told me about someone at her university who has access to some super-science machines that can compress stuff down into a jewel, and that it works on hair, so I collected locks of hair from all of them, had them pressed into jewels, and set into that bracelet.” Charlotte starts silently crying as I go into further detail about the bracelet. “I know you’ve been feeling like an outsider because you feel like you were the last to join the group- when you should know that without you, there wouldn’t be a group- and I know that you’ll be lonely when you’re filming the rest of the shows you’ve been contracted to do, so I figured that this way, you’ll always have the Angels with you. Merry Christmas, Charlotte.” Charlotte, with tears running down her cheeks, launches herself at me and wraps me in the tightest hug she has ever given me.

“Thank you so much,” Charlotte sniffles with genuine emotion. “It’s perfect, absolutely perfect.”

“Obviously it’s technically from all five of us,” I say, unwrapping myself from Charlotte’s arms.

“Well then I’ll just have to give the rest of you huge hugs when they get here!” Charlotte jokes. Sure enough, as the girls steadily arrive over the course of the evening, Charlotte greets them all with massive, tight hugs, eliciting a few surprised responses until they see the bracelet! Over the course of the evening we unwrap our presents, watch television, eat, drink and be the merriest we’ve been in a very long time. As 10pm rolls around, I find myself reluctant to leave- as much as I’ve loved living at home with my parents over the last few months, my bedroom- and my bed- is upstairs, waiting for me to sleep in it. I know Charlotte wants things to go back to the way they were before our falling out, and there’s a growing part of me that’s desperate for the exact same thing. Sighing, I take my phone out of my bag and dial home.

“Hi dad,” I say.

“Hi Jamie,” dad says. “Are you having fun at Charlotte’s?”

“Yeah…” I say hesitantly. “Umm, I’ve had quite a bit to drink,” I lie. “And I was kinda thinking…”

“I’m okay to drive,” dad says with a chuckle. “I’ll come and pick you up.” My father’s unexpected offer catches me by surprise- especially as I get a huge bollocking every time a picture of me under the influence of alcohol appears in the press (which fortunately, isn’t often).

“Oh no,” I stammer. “Don’t trouble yourself, um, Charlotte said I can stay over here tonight.” In the corner of my eyes, I can see Charlotte grin widely and wind up for yet another tight hug.

“Hmm, okay,” dad says, clearly disappointed that he won’t get to spend Christmas night with his daughter. “Well, I’ll see you tomorrow morning then.”

“See you tomorrow,” I say with a smile. Immediately as I click off my phone, Charlotte is alongside me on my sofa, giving me yet another tight hug.

“I have the best bestest BFF of all time!” Charlotte squeaks. I can’t help but giggle and relax into Charlotte’s squeeze.

“Nah, I have,” I say contentedly. “How many BFFs would give up an entire room for their friend?”

I climb into bed just after midnight, wearing a tiny nightie that I’d attempted to borrow from Charlotte, but she insisted I took for keeps. This is my third Christmas as Jamie-Lee, and unlike the last two, I’m spending Christmas night alone in bed, yet I’m much happier and more contented than I’ve ever been in my life.

I wake up on Boxing Day morning at 9am and run through my morning routine like I’d never lived anywhere other than Charlotte’s house. It’s only when I go to pick out a fresh bra and thong, only to find my drawers empty, that I remember that I technically don’t actually live here- as much like home as it feels. Sighing, I pull on yesterday’s dress and pick my spare pair of tights out of my bag before heading downstairs, where Charlotte and Keith are already waiting for me.

“Hey Jay!” Charlotte says, leaping out of her chair and giving me yet ANOTHER tight hug.

“Hi Charlotte, Hi Keith!” I say happily, sitting down in my usual spot at the breakfast table.

“Hi Jamie,” Keith says with a warm smile. “Sleep well?”

“Like a baby,” I say. “…Sorry I’ve evicted you from your game room.”

“Oh, whatever,” Keith says, giving Charlotte a playful cuddle. “Charlie’s promised me a brand-new shed I can use as a ‘man cave’, and after all, this place really is your home, you know.”

“I know,” I say happily. “Thank you both so much for all this, I… I genuinely don’t know where I’d be without you.”

“Nor me,” Charlotte says quietly.

“I’m not…” I say hesitantly. “…Quite ready to fully move back in, not yet anyway.”

“That’s okay,” Charlotte says, hiding her obvious disappointment. “Like I said, the room’s there for you when you’re ready. Just… Don’t take TOO long, okay?”

“I’m thinking maybe after my operation in April,” I reply with a smile.

“There’s still a part of me that can’t believe you’re actually going through with it,” Charlotte whispers. “I mean, when we first met you were…” Charlotte hesitates, remembering that Keith doesn’t FULLY know the circumstances of when we first met.

“You were… kinda androgynous,” Charlotte bluffs. “Now you’re probably the most feminine out of the six of us.”

“That was the first time I’d ever lived full-time as a woman,” I say, technically telling the truth. “It was the most amazing week of my life up to that point, why would I go back?”

“Yeah, but major surgery?” Charlotte asks. “Really?”

“I’ve had my boobs done,” I say with a laugh. “That wasn’t exactly a minor procedure, I was wappy from the anaesthetic for at least 3 days afterwards!”

“Yeah, but you were up and about,” Charlotte points out. “And you’d HAD boobs before, they just weren’t, you know, inside you. This… Is going to be a lot bigger.”

“This is all stuff I’ve discussed with Dr Phillips, you know,” I say with a smile. “I wouldn’t be going for the surgery if she didn’t think I was ready for it. Bring it on!”

“I think Charlotte just wants to be your nurse whilst you recover,” Keith jokes. “How long did you say you’d be off your feet for?”

“I’ll be in hospital for 5 days,” I say, reciting the information that’s been drilled into me for the past few months. “Off my feet for 2 more weeks, wobbly for about another 2 after that, should be just about back to normal after roughly 6 weeks, though obviously I’ll still be kinda ‘tender’.”

“I’m crossing my legs just thinking about it,” Keith laughs.

“Well, at least you’re growing up,” Charlotte giggles. “In the past, any non-sexual mention of lady parts had you scurrying out the room as fast as your legs could carry you!”

“Well, thanks to Jamie and Stu, I just feel more enlightened about things than I was before,” Keith says.

“Just as long as you don’t ask to actually SEE it, that’s fine!” I joke, causing a mass giggle at the table.

I drive home shortly afterward, still feeling sad about leaving my ‘second home’. I feel a little better when I arrive home and am greeted by the smiling face of my mother.

“Hi Jamie!” Mum says, giving me a quick hug. “Hope Charlotte’s sofa wasn’t too uncomfortable last night!” I grimace a little as I break the news of my ‘other home’ to my mother.

“Actually…” I begin. “I stayed in my old room.”

“Oh,” mum says stoically. “I thought Charlotte’s boyfriend was using that as a den?”

“He was,” I explain. “Charlotte had it cleared out and turned back into my room, the way it used to be, as my Christmas present.”

“I see,” mum continues. “Are you moving back in with Charlotte?”

“Not yet,” I say to my mother’s obvious relief. “Not until after my operation.”

“Good,” mum says. “I mean yes, I’m resigned to the fact that you’re going to move out eventually- you ARE an independent woman, after all- I’d just hoped we’d get some warning first!”

“Don’t worry,” I laugh. “You’re stuck with me for a while yet!” Mum laughs as I head upstairs, stripping off and carefully folding away my dress before pulling on new underwear, followed by a tight, long-sleeved black bodysuit and a short denim skirt.

“Morning Jamie, didn’t hear you come in,” dad says as I crash on the sofa with my iPad. “Everything ready for your big day on Saturday?”

“It’s not going to be THAT big,” I laugh, opening up Facebook.

“It’s a red carpet premiere!” Dad jokes. “My little girl’s going to be the toast of Leicester Square!”

“One, it’s nowhere near Leicester Square, it’s a small cinema in Highbury,” I say exasperatedly, “and two, I’m only going to be one-sixth the toast of… whatever street it’s on.”

“Will there be a red carpet?” Dad asks with a smug grin.

“…Yes,” I sigh.

“Will there be paparazzi?” Dad asks.

“Almost certainly,” I answer.

“Then it’s a big deal!” Dad says proudly. “Good job I don’t work on Sundays, I may have to buy a whole new scrapbook just for this alone!” I sigh and turn back to Facebook, but deep inside, I’m as excited as dad obviously is. For the broadcast of the pilot episode of our reality TV show, Joshua’s hired a small cinema to screen it, ‘world premiere’ style, and invited all the Angels and their families and friends to attend in a gala event, with the aim of raising publicity for the show. Judging by the level of attention the event’s getting on social media, it certainly seems to be working!

I’m thankful of the opportunity to relax on Thursday, as thanks to the premiere, Friday and Saturday are going to be EXTREMELY busy. Joshua doesn’t normally work over the period between Christmas and New Year, but this year he’s making an exception, so on Friday morning, I’m awake at 7:30am, running through my morning routine as fast as possible so I can get to the important matter of picking out my outfit for the day. I’ll be meeting with Joshua and the other Angels for most of the day so I have to be dressed smartly, and as close friends as we are, I can’t let myself be overshadowed by the other girls, nor can I make a conscious effort to overshadow them. To that end, after slipping on a brand-new lacy bra and thong set, repainting my fingernails a glossy black colour and applying a generous layer of make-up, I fasten a waist cincher around myself, tightening it just enough to give me some curves, before attaching sheer black stockings to the cincher’s garters, straightening the seams before pulling on a black satin blouse and a light blue skirt suit. The skirt is short and tight and the jacket is fitted close to my body, emphasising my enhanced curves. I step into a pair of matching stiletto pumps with a 5” heel, put on my most expensive jewellery and perfume, grab my favourite handbag and head downstairs, saying goodbye to my mum and driving off into the city centre.

Unsurprisingly, I’m not the first to arrive- the ever-punctual Hannah and Viks are already present, dressed in their own smart suits- Hannah in a tiny lilac skirt that shows off her endless legs, Viks in a tight black dress that shows off her amazing curves and cleavage. Both, of course, are wearing heels as high as my own- even though the 5’ 9” Hannah hardly needs to!

“Hey Jamie!” Hannah squeaks, greeting me with a quick hug. “Just one day left!”

“I know!” I squeak excitedly. “Sooo… Did you drive yourself here?”

“Drive myself?” Hannah asks. “Moi? In my brand-new shiny red Fiat 500, you mean?” Hannah giggles as she pulls her car keys out of her handbag.

“I’m so proud of her,” Viks says, giving Hannah a quick hug. “Especially as it means I can stop being designated driver for once!”

“Is that not why we both have boyfriends?” Hannah asks with a cheeky grin.

“There are… other reasons,” Viks says, giving a sly wink to the two of us, making the three of us break down in fits of giggles!

“Oh god Jamie, I’m sorry,” Viks suddenly says, “we shouldn’t really be talking about boyfriends, didn’t you say you got with Paul at Christmas time?”

“Who?” I ask with a confident smirk, causing another fit of giggles that only escalate as Charlotte, Mary and Krystie arrive, all dressed in their own smart, sexy skirt suits.

“My angels!” Joshua yells happily as he exits the office, drinking in the sight of the six of us. “My office is too small for such radiant beauty, let’s go down to the studio!” Smirking, we follow our agent down to the studio where he sits us down and starts advising us on the upcoming premiere.

“I know some of you have attended red carpet premieres before,” Joshua says, looking pointedly in mine and Charlotte’s direction. “But this time, the nation’s press will be there specifically to see you, and you alone. The six of you are about to become megastars, and this is effectively your debut, or in some cases, re-debut.”

“What should we wear?” Hannah asks, barely hiding her nerves.

“Your best dresses,” Joshua answers. “Nothing too ostentatious, nothing too sexy, something beautiful and elegant, like the girl who’ll be wearing it!”

“Do we walk up the red carpet with our boyfriends?” Viks asks.

“If you can peel yourself away from him!” Joshua laughs, making Viks blush a little. “Seriously, the press are there to see you. Arrive with your boyfriends, pose for photos by yourself, walk in together.”

“And those of us…” Krystie says hesitantly, exchanging a quick glance with me.

“You get to have all the limelight to yourselves!” Joshua laughs. “But all six of you are sexy, successful models, I know you’ll be fine tomorrow. The real reason I wanted to call you is to tell you the great news!”

“Wh-what great news?” Mary asks nervously- clearly, she hasn’t told Joshua her own ‘great news’.

“The bosses at ITV2 love the pilot!” Joshua booms. “The reaction you’ve been getting online has convinced them that they don’t need to wait, they’ve commissioned a series!”

“Oh my god!” I squeak uncontrollably, a sentiment the other girls also exclaim as we excited exchange hugs.

“It’s just eight parts,” Joshua explains. “To be broadcast later in the year, in between seasons of TOWIE. They’ll be filming you between January and May.”

“…During April?” I ask, my enthusiasm instantly draining.

“There will be no cameras in your hospital,” Joshua says softly. “I made sure the producers understood that your journey will be treated with the utmost respect. They’ll only film your recovery if and only if you give express permission at the time.”

“There’s something else,” Mary says shakily. “I- I’m pregnant.”

“I see,” Joshua says stoically, before beaming his trademark wide smile. “This is wonderful news! Congratulations, to you and to Daniel Carter! When are you due?”

“July,” Mary says. “I- I don’t want the birth filmed…”

“Then it won’t be,” Joshua announces. “Are you and Dan getting married?”

“In February, yeah,” Mary says, once again retrieving her engagement ring from her bra and slipping it on her finger.

“That ring’s spent more time on your tits than it has on your finger!” Krystie jokes, making Mary poke her tongue out at her!

“You’ll be married in Paris,” Joshua states firmly. “I’ll pay for everything.”

“I’ll be married in Belfast,” Mary cheekily retorts, making Joshua laugh at her stubbornness. “At my local church, Dan’s already agreed to this. And no, I haven’t asked him yet if he’d consent to the wedding being filmed.”

“Would you consent?” Joshua asks.

“Happiest day of my life being broadcast to millions?” Mary laughs. “What girl WOULND’T want that?” Joshua laughs loudly and pulls Mary out of her seat, giving her a long, friendly hug.

“I’ll need to get in touch with the producers,” Joshua says. “Explain to them that they’ll need to change some of their plans- unless any of you have any other surprises I need to know about?” Smiling, the five of us all shake our heads.

“Good,” Joshua says with a smile. “Even if you marry in Belfast, you’re still going to Paris! You say you’re marrying in February- the 15th, right?”

“Saturday after Valentine’s Day, yep,” Mary grins.

“You’ll spend Valentine’s Day in Paris,” Joshua commands. “All of you will, my treat.” Needless to say, everyone in the room is excited by the prospect- even myself and Krystie!

“It will be recorded, I take it?” Charlotte asks.

“As per the contracts you signed, nothing will be recorded without your permission,” Joshua says. “But you all signed up to be TV stars. You can’t do that if you’re not on TV now, can you? One other thing I want to discuss,” Joshua continues, sitting down, “is any potential future series. The first series will focus exclusively on the six of you. For future series, I want to explore expanding your group. There are many models already signed to me and thousands more across the UK who will want to be an Angel. On a purely selfish note, I’m loving all the attention old Joshua’s been getting!”

“The last girl you recommended we hang out with was definitely a good call!” Krystie jokes, giving Hannah a quick hug.

“We’ve… Actually kinda been talking about this already,” I say nervously.

“Oh?” Joshua asks. “Got any good recommendations for me then?”

“Yeah, Rebecca Milton,” Krystie says. “She’s in my advanced adult class, she’s also a singer- studies music at uni- she’d be a damned good model too.”

“That dance class of yours is putting my scouts out of a job!” Joshua laughs, sitting down next to Krystie. “Show me a few photos.”

“I’ve given her your card at least twice,” Krystie explains, showing Joshua pictures of Rebecca on her smartphone. “She’s my ex’s sister, 18, 19 in a few months. A bit of a fan but otherwise cool.”

“I liked her,” Hannah interjects to general agreement.

“Give her another one of my cards,” Joshua says happily. “Obviously I can’t tell you who to be friends with, but now that you’re public property, you’ll need to be careful precisely who you mix with.”

“We understand,” Charlotte says.

“Don’t feel that I think the six of you aren’t enough,” Joshua says reassuringly. “Like any businessman I want to maximise my profits and protect my interests, especially in case any more of you decide to jump ship to Spencer and Hall!”

“Do you have any recommendations of your own?” Viks asks. “For models, I mean.”

“A couple,” Joshua says. “Once I’ve moved to my new office and hired more clerks, then I’ll expand. There’s one girl in particular I’ve got my eyes on, Dannii Samson. Would make a perfect Angel if she wasn’t only 16.”

“Yep, that’s also the name of one of my students,” Krystie says, making everyone- Joshua included- giggle loudly!

We spend the rest of the morning in Joshua’s building discussing the proper etiquette for the red carpet, keeping an appropriate distance between ourselves and the numerous fans we will inevitably get, and potential future models Joshua’s expressed an interest in. It’s flattering that Joshua- a highly experienced talent manager- values us so much that he’d consult with us before making any hires. After we’re allowed to leave just after 2pm, the six of us- still in our posh suits- find a nearby coffee shop and tuck into a hard-earned lunch.

“Girls,” Viks says. “I have to tell you- I am TERRIFIED about tomorrow.”

“Oh, don’t be!” Hannah says, wrapping a protective arm around her BFF. “You weren’t terrified in front of the cameras, were you?”

“The crowd’s not going to be there to watch you fail,” Charlotte advises. “They’re there to WORSHIP you.”

“I know, I know,” Viks sighs. “It’s just- I dunno, there’s a part of me that’s worried, you know? You’re always hearing about celebrities getting stalkers, anonymous threats… God, I must sound so conceited, talking about stalkers when I’m not even a celebrity yet!”

“The 30 000 fans on your Facebook page would disagree about you not being a celebrity,” I tease. “Just enjoy it while it lasts.”

“’While it lasts’?” Hannah asks me.

“Fame doesn’t last forever,” Charlotte explains. “You have to make the most of all the opportunities you get… But at the same time, you need to make sure your ambition doesn’t get out of hand.” Charlotte shoots a brief, sympathetic smile my way as she says this. I open my mouth to make a comment, but am interrupted by a presence over my shoulder.

“Hi,” the clearly nervous man stammers. “I, um, I hope you don’t mind me asking, but- oh god, this is going to sound silly- are- are you the Angels?”

“Yep!” Hannah says proudly.

“All six of us!” Krystie confirms, much to the man’s obvious delight.

“Oh my god, my girlfriend’s gonna be so jealous,” the man says with a goofy smile. “Can- can I get a photo with you, please?” After looking at each other exasperatedly, all six of us nod, much to the man’s delight, who crouches down in front of our table and takes a quick selfie.

“Thanks!” The man says, clearly genuinely happy about the chance encounter. “Um, good luck with the show tomorrow!”

“Thanks,” Charlotte says, before the whole table burst into a fit of giggles after the man leaves.

“Urgh,” Mary sighs whilst still giggling. “Guess we’re gonna have to get used to that! Well, some of us are, anyway!” Mary points fingers at myself and Charlotte, making us recoil in mock horror.

“I don’t know what you could possibly mean,” I retort over-dramatically.

“Have you noticed how it’s always ‘my girlfriend is a big fan’?” Viks asks. “Like, do you reckon we’re only popular with girls of a certain age?”

“It’s better to have a limited fan base than no fan base at all,” Charlotte says. “Nobody- nobody at all- appeals to all people.”

“You’re probably right,” Hannah concedes with a smile. “Soo… Everyone decided what they’re wearing tomorrow?”

“Of course!” I say eagerly, leading to another mass giggle!

I arrive home just after 3pm, quickly stripping out of my suit and stockings into a comfortable knee-length sweater dress and black tights, crashing on my sofa with my iPad in hand.

“One day to go!” Mum says happily. “Shall I order a filing cabinet for all the fan mail you’ll be getting?”

“Mum!” I say, slightly embarrassed by the fuss both my parents have been making of me. “Besides, all the fan mail nowadays comes by email.”

“I’ll have to get a new printer then,” mum laughs as I roll my eyes and open up Facebook.

Even though Friday is our usual girls night, being ready for tomorrow’s premiere is more important, so I get to bed just before 10pm, though I can barely sleep through excitement- something that’s been a theme of this Christmas so far! I do manage to get some sleep, as I’m woken by my phone’s alarm clock at 8am. I run through my morning routine as fast as possible, only applying a light layer of make-up as the six of us have booked an extended session at the salon today- for obvious reasons! I pull on a fresh bra & thong and a pair of shiny black tights, before selecting a long-sleeved dark blue minidress and matching stiletto heels to wear to the salon. After a very quick, very light breakfast, I say goodbye to my parents and drive off to the salon!

When I arrive, the other five girls are already there waiting for me, eager to start their treatments. After a quick sauna, we’re all given a hot bikini wax, and after recovering from that, light spray tans (a full tan would look a bit out of place in December!) and full facial treatments. Our fingernails are sculpted and polished to perfection, with each of us choosing a different colour polish for our nails (I opt for a deep, cobalt blue for mine). Our hair is then given treatment after treatment to maximise its volume- I have my hair curled to give it additional ‘bounce’ that frames my face excellently. Last, but not least, our faces are made up by expert beauticians, mixing eye shadows and lipsticks to make all six of us the most beautiful we’ve ever been. After pulling my dress, my tights and my shoes back on, I drive Krystie and Charlotte back to Charlotte’s huge home, where we change into our outfits for tonight.

As per Joshua’s instructions, we’re all wearing our best dresses- I’ve selected a very low-cut, backless, halter neck blue-gold gown with a long, flowing skirt and matching stiletto sandals. Charlotte’s opted for a strappy silver patterned dress with a long skirt, and Mary’s gone for a similar style, only strapless and in a blood-red colour to match her lipstick and nails. Viks is wearing a very form-fitting, slinky black dress that shows off her cleavage and corset-enhanced curves to maximum effect, and Krystie is wearing an equally slinky, sparkly purple dress. Hannah, however, has truly stolen the show, wearing a super-short light red strapless dress that shows off every square inch of her enviable cleavage, curves and legs. She’s also wearing by far the highest heels, despite the fact that she’s easily the tallest of us anyway!

“You are going to freeze to death in that!” I tease the tall blonde girl as I take my best gold earrings out of my handbag and push them into my lobes.

“I may be cold tonight,” Hannah laughs, putting in her own earrings, “but I’ll be gorgeous in those photos forever!”

“You could wear a bin liner and you’d be gorgeous,” Viks teases.

“Might have to try that one of these days,” Hannah laughs.

“Just don’t do it on camera!” Charlotte says, making everyone giggle! “Is everyone ready?”

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” Mary says, taking a deep breath.

“This is so exciting!” Krystie squeaks, bouncing up and down in her heels.

“Just remember,” Charlotte advises. “The eyes of the world are on you tonight. Tonight, we are the six most beautiful women who ever lived. Tomorrow, everyone will want to be our friend. So let’s get out there and own London!”

“Gooooo…” Hannah says excitedly.

“Angels!” We all cheer, grabbing our handbags and heading downstairs to where our limos await us. The six of us are all arriving separately- in proper movie star fashion- in separate limos with our guests. We’ve each been allowed to bring along four guests, and I’m obviously bringing my parents along, and with Krystie’s car full with her parents and brothers, I’ve also invited along Stuart and a guest of his choice. When it comes time to pick him and his guest up, I’m completely unsurprised to see Rebecca sit down opposite me in the limo, looking far more elegant and mature than her 18 years in her long purple evening gown, fancy jewellery and high heels.

“Oh my god,” Rebecca says, fanning herself with her hands, “thank you SO much for this! This is SO amazing!”

“Thank your brother,” I say, giving my favourite transman- who looks very handsome in his tie and evening jacket- a quick hug as he sits down next to his baby sister.

“Don’t worry, she knows she owes me for this,” Stuart says, giving Rebecca a brotherly cuddle.

“Two of our parties in the space of seven days,” I tease at the teenaged girl. “Soon we might have to start calling YOU an Angel!” Rebecca giggles uncontrollably as the limo speeds off into the busy Saturday night.

After my parents have been picked up, and a bottle of expensive champagne has been shared between all five of the limo’s occupants, we arrive at the independent cinema that’s hosting our premiere. As promised, a red carpet has been laid out, and a modest- but still excited- gaggle of fans and paparazzi are eagerly waiting for me to step out of the limo.

“Take a deep breath,” dad advises, holding my arm supportively. “Hold your head up high, and knock ‘em dead.” I grin and elegantly exit the limo, posing with one hand on my hip as the assembled photographers’ cameras take their fill. Sure, I may be cold, sure, the dress may be impractical, and almost uncomfortable, but everybody assembled is falling over themselves just to get a look at me. As dad advised, I’ve knocked ‘em dead. Soon, I’ll be a national celebrity, a bridesmaid to one of my very best friends, a godmother, an honorary auntie, and the proud owner of a vagina. So what if ‘girlfriend’, ‘fiancée’ and ‘wife’ aren’t on that list? Life… Is wonderful.

up
152 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is such a wonderful

This is such a wonderful story, I do hope that there are several more chapters coming. The dresses descriptions make them sound so yummy. Too bad there can't be pictures of the girls in their chosen gown. Janice Lynn

Aw, thanks! It's good to know

Aw, thanks! It's good to know that people are still enjoying Charlotte and Jamie's adventures- they regularly get the least 'likes' out of my stories but they are so much fun to write- and don't worry, there's still plenty to come yet!

And I know what you mean about the dresses- I only wish I wasn't such a ham-fisted oaf when it came to drawing!

Debs xxxx

Jamie-Lee & Charlotte

this so far is one amazing story, I love it and it is so realistic